Portal! WILD MASS GUESSING AND THEORIZING AND BULLSHIT!

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Who do you trust more?

Mainstream Media
11%
GLaDOS
89%

Total votes: 344

quintopia

Re: Portal Secrets and Storylines? - ***spoiler warning***

Postby quintopia » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:53 am UTC

Here's your cake:

http://www.quintopia.net/steps/TheDevic ... dified.zip

It's a 5/7/9 cuz I didn't feel like making a beginner track.
And I think it's pretty good for my first one. . .

Edit: steps updated to fix timing issues. re-download now.
Last edited by quintopia on Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:30 pm UTC

Is it r21-ready? That'd be sweet... I could play it tonight.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:50 pm UTC

I kept the whole track, so its a "long version." I know it plays right on the latest SM, and it should play on DWI as well. I don't know exactly what r21-ready entails though, because, as I said, I'm new to this.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:59 pm UTC

For it to play on ITG2-r21, the step file must be .sm (leaving the .dwi there with it is OK), and music file must be a <5MB <=2:00 .ogg file. The <=2:00 restriction may be circumvented with the use of a patching utility (Googling for OggLengthPatch will probably get you what you need); however, on ITG2-r23, the song will literally stop immediately at 2:00.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:24 pm UTC

oh, then no. You'll have to convert it to an ogg and patch it yourself.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:18 pm UTC

rrwoods wrote:For it to play on ITG2-r21, the step file must be .sm (leaving the .dwi there with it is OK), and music file must be a <5MB <=2:00 .ogg file. The <=2:00 restriction may be circumvented with the use of a patching utility (Googling for OggLengthPatch will probably get you what you need); however, on ITG2-r23, the song will literally stop immediately at 2:00.

Less than 2:00? Are they stupid? Most of my favorite Stepmania songs are > 2:00. ;-)

csd

Postby csd » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:27 pm UTC

Is there a full "Still Alive" stepfile available at your nearest store?
Give me a pickle, and make it pink for the festivities!

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:32 am UTC

I would try making my own for Still Alive, but it's not exciting enough to bother.

Vichyssoise

Postby Vichyssoise » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:27 pm UTC

From reading the aperture science history from aperturescience.com (login: cjohnson pw: tier3) surely the person who is escaping or has failed to escape ahead of you, and has written on the walls is most likely Cave Johnson of aperture science seeing as his login details were scrawled on one of the walls.

xenuphobia

Postby xenuphobia » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:25 pm UTC

Vichyssoise wrote:From reading the aperture science history from aperturescience.com (login: cjohnson pw: tier3) surely the person who is escaping or has failed to escape ahead of you, and has written on the walls is most likely Cave Johnson of aperture science seeing as his login details were scrawled on one of the walls.

You didn't read hard enough; after he outlined the three-tiered approach to succeed in the rapidly approaching past he died of radiation poisoning (or something like that) after experimenting with an isotope to develop a new type of shower curtain.

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:56 am UTC

I went ahead and sped up Still Alive if anyone wants to have fun making a stepchart for ITG2 with the full song. This is a 1:59 ogg. I just took the mp3 and shoved it through Audacity's Change Tempo filter. It doesn't sound great, but it's passable.

Grab it from http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3289N8VN

(EDIT: I did have it on my host, but why waste bandwidth when megaupload is free?)
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:11 am UTC

that's hilarious in an awful kind of way. . .

Vichyssoise

Postby Vichyssoise » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:12 pm UTC

xenuphobia wrote:
Vichyssoise wrote:From reading the aperture science history from aperturescience.com (login: cjohnson pw: tier3) surely the person who is escaping or has failed to escape ahead of you, and has written on the walls is most likely Cave Johnson of aperture science seeing as his login details were scrawled on one of the walls.

You didn't read hard enough; after he outlined the three-tiered approach to succeed in the rapidly approaching past he died of radiation poisoning (or something like that) after experimenting with an isotope to develop a new type of shower curtain.

Ok fair point I did kind of fall asleep while reading it, woke up to find the power in my house had cut out so had lost where I was up to and presumed I must have finished it.

-Malice-

Postby -Malice- » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:32 pm UTC

BIG SPOILERS (sorry, I cannot use tags buttons as Javascript is disabled, hopefully this works)

Someone else didnt read very well at all.

Spoiler:
The three tier plan was to acquire wealth and success in business ventures.

tier one being the wish foundation. Johnson's developments lead to the shower-curtains (which involved portal technology to keep the spray from a showeread within the curtain). He chose the name Aperture Science to sound more clinical and sanitary of course.
Cave Johnson became ill with mercury poisoning ( a slower acting poison which, amongst other symptoms, causes insanity (q.v. The Alice In Wonderland, Lewis Carroll's the Mad Hatter was a reference to this symptom as hatters used to use mercury in preparatory work)).

There is no mention of Cave Johnson's passing.

Further notes:

According to the dates,
Portal Timeline:
(source: ApertureScience.com website)
1953: - Aperture Science begins operations as a manfufacturer of shower curtains. Early product line provides a very low-tech portal between the inside of your shower. Very little science is actuaally involved. The name is chosed to make the curtains appear more hygienic.

1956: - Eisenhower administration awards Aperture a contract to provide shower curtains to all branches of the military except the navy.

1978: - Aperture founder and CEO, Cave Johnson contracts mercury poisoning whilst developing seven deadly shower curtain "gifts" for the naval appropriations commitee.

1979: - Mental illness as a result of mercury poisoning give rise to Johnson's Tier 3 project, in his own words, the results intend to "guarantee the continued success of Aperture Science far into the fast-approaching past.. . Some kind of rip in the fabric of space... " with unforseeable consequences.

1981: - There is a string of disasters, and a Senate investigative committee uncover research into quantum tunnels through physical space. Aperture is granted an open-ended contract to continue this research.

1982: - Early Alpha DOS system GLaDOS in use as mainframe telnet system for Aperture Science.
"GLaDOS v1.07a (1982) Aperture Science, Inc.") **(this seems to contradict the 1986 line (both from the same source, unless 1986 refers to a new direction for GLaDOS))

1986: - News reaches Aperture that Black Mesa, a rival defense contractor, are developing their own portal technology. In response, development on GLaDOS begins
(**focuses on an AI capability and most likely, adding defence protocol in order to compete for the greater budget (as deduced from the OHP display in the meeting room in Portal.)

1996: - GLaDOS as an operating system achieves adequate functionality, and work begins on the Genetic-Lifeform component. This results in the creation of a testing lab (euphemistacally referred to as "Enrichment Centre") At first, the centre is designed as a testing ground for employees using the Portal technology.
--------------------------------
The game 'Portal' therefore occurs at any time during or after Half-Life 1. By GLaDOS comments on how 'things have changed out there', I think it is safe to assume after.
------------------------------

My own conclusions gleaned from Half-Life 2, Portal, HL2 ep1 and HL2 ep2.

1)
By including defence protocols into a synthetically sentient/learning/analysing GLaDOS, and likely malfunction within the 'morality core' GLaDOS became not just an OS, not just a de-icing initiative,not just a test auditor, but a weapons manufacturer and therefore designated to harm/kill. It is possible once the morality core was 'installed', GLaDOS 'her'self initiated its malfunction.

2)
Whether a prior backup by Aperture, or a self-perpetuating development of GLaDOS, numerous GLaDOS cores were assembled.

3)
Chell was a unique test subject, in that she was an orphan perhaps 'bought' but considered 'expendable' for the testing. Maybe presented to the enrichment centre under the guise of someone's daughter for a 'bring your daughter to work day'.

----- Here's where things get much more hypothetical.

4)
The use of simple, basic communicative forms and psychology for instance: cake as a reward, hearts on the companion cube, basic diagrams and symbols indicate and mirror GLaDOS' 'childish' "jealousy", and attempts to prevent Chell from leaving.
Perhaps prior test subjects were younger, or this is an indication of GLaDOS' actual underdevelopment. Having knowledge, but not 'maturity'.

5)
Some breakthrough accidental or otherwise made with the portal technology rendered the Aperture Science ship 'Borealis' to 'disappear'. This to me all seems extremely reminiscent of "The Philadelpha Experiment", and potentially, the ship passed into another 'dimension'.

6) Being controlled by or having an installation, or otherwise containing an (or many) GlaDOS 'core's, Borealis continued on in the new dimension.
At this point, GLaDOS encountered a primitive race of slug-like creatures (or genetically manufactured them using amino acid chains and precise radioactive or electric effects.)

7) Essentially continuing its "testing" and modification of these creatures, GLaDOS spent years, its goal of course, creating a weapon with its knowledge of portals, modification (based very simply on the leg-braces used to prevent jarring as seen in Portal), eventually, the result was the 'Combine'.

8) Whether through Portal travel or happenstance, the 'Combine' under GLaDOS, now given a level of awareness and autonomy, spread out amongst worlds/dimensions... eventually chancing upon Xen (q.v. HL1)

Interesting to note that the 'control 'HQ' "voice"' used in HL2, HL2 ep1 and HL2 ep2 is robotically female, but also, actually voiced by the same actress. Coincidence?

9) Lastly, the 'Master GLaDOS' of Borealis has now been discovered back on Earth in the Artic (or maybe it was there all along...) The Portal Technology of Aperture Science which is of course far more reliable and 'ergonomic' than the Black Mesa technologies, located on Borealis is of great interest to Black Mesa/Lambda personnel.

* The portal gun, defence turrets, androids, "energy fields", "plasma-balls" (and the 'energy tracks' some of them operate), symbols, door locks, organisation and hierarchial dependancies of the various facilities of Aperture Science's Enrichment Centre, and GLaDOS are more than similar to equivalent artefacts utilised by the combine. Whilst it could be argued that due to Portal being more of a demonstration/introduction of the gameplay features, and therefore a conscious decision to re-use existing material by the development team rather than take time to create new content; I have seen many instances throughout the HL series where it has been seen nothing is a coincidence.

xenuphobia

Postby xenuphobia » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:05 pm UTC

-Malice- wrote:BIG SPOILERS (sorry, I cannot use tags buttons as Javascript is disabled, hopefully this works)

Someone else didnt read very well at all.

Spoiler:
The three tier plan was to acquire wealth and success in business ventures.

tier one being the wish foundation. Johnson's developments lead to the shower-curtains (which involved portal technology to keep the spray from a showeread within the curtain). He chose the name Aperture Science to sound more clinical and sanitary of course.
Cave Johnson became ill with mercury poisoning ( a slower acting poison which, amongst other symptoms, causes insanity (q.v. The Alice In Wonderland, Lewis Carroll's the Mad Hatter was a reference to this symptom as hatters used to use mercury in preparatory work)).

There is no mention of Cave Johnson's passing.

Further notes:

According to the dates,
Portal Timeline:
(source: ApertureScience.com website)
1953: - Aperture Science begins operations as a manfufacturer of shower curtains. Early product line provides a very low-tech portal between the inside of your shower. Very little science is actuaally involved. The name is chosed to make the curtains appear more hygienic.

1956: - Eisenhower administration awards Aperture a contract to provide shower curtains to all branches of the military except the navy.

1978: - Aperture founder and CEO, Cave Johnson contracts mercury poisoning whilst developing seven deadly shower curtain "gifts" for the naval appropriations commitee.

1979: - Mental illness as a result of mercury poisoning give rise to Johnson's Tier 3 project, in his own words, the results intend to "guarantee the continued success of Aperture Science far into the fast-approaching past.. . Some kind of rip in the fabric of space... " with unforseeable consequences.

1981: - There is a string of disasters, and a Senate investigative committee uncover research into quantum tunnels through physical space. Aperture is granted an open-ended contract to continue this research.

1982: - Early Alpha DOS system GLaDOS in use as mainframe telnet system for Aperture Science.
"GLaDOS v1.07a (1982) Aperture Science, Inc.") **(this seems to contradict the 1986 line (both from the same source, unless 1986 refers to a new direction for GLaDOS))

1986: - News reaches Aperture that Black Mesa, a rival defense contractor, are developing their own portal technology. In response, development on GLaDOS begins
(**focuses on an AI capability and most likely, adding defence protocol in order to compete for the greater budget (as deduced from the OHP display in the meeting room in Portal.)

1996: - GLaDOS as an operating system achieves adequate functionality, and work begins on the Genetic-Lifeform component. This results in the creation of a testing lab (euphemistacally referred to as "Enrichment Centre") At first, the centre is designed as a testing ground for employees using the Portal technology.
--------------------------------
The game 'Portal' therefore occurs at any time during or after Half-Life 1. By GLaDOS comments on how 'things have changed out there', I think it is safe to assume after.
------------------------------

My own conclusions gleaned from Half-Life 2, Portal, HL2 ep1 and HL2 ep2.

1)
By including defence protocols into a synthetically sentient/learning/analysing GLaDOS, and likely malfunction within the 'morality core' GLaDOS became not just an OS, not just a de-icing initiative,not just a test auditor, but a weapons manufacturer and therefore designated to harm/kill. It is possible once the morality core was 'installed', GLaDOS 'her'self initiated its malfunction.

2)
Whether a prior backup by Aperture, or a self-perpetuating development of GLaDOS, numerous GLaDOS cores were assembled.

3)
Chell was a unique test subject, in that she was an orphan perhaps 'bought' but considered 'expendable' for the testing. Maybe presented to the enrichment centre under the guise of someone's daughter for a 'bring your daughter to work day'.

----- Here's where things get much more hypothetical.

4)
The use of simple, basic communicative forms and psychology for instance: cake as a reward, hearts on the companion cube, basic diagrams and symbols indicate and mirror GLaDOS' 'childish' "jealousy", and attempts to prevent Chell from leaving.
Perhaps prior test subjects were younger, or this is an indication of GLaDOS' actual underdevelopment. Having knowledge, but not 'maturity'.

5)
Some breakthrough accidental or otherwise made with the portal technology rendered the Aperture Science ship 'Borealis' to 'disappear'. This to me all seems extremely reminiscent of "The Philadelpha Experiment", and potentially, the ship passed into another 'dimension'.

6) Being controlled by or having an installation, or otherwise containing an (or many) GlaDOS 'core's, Borealis continued on in the new dimension.
At this point, GLaDOS encountered a primitive race of slug-like creatures (or genetically manufactured them using amino acid chains and precise radioactive or electric effects.)

7) Essentially continuing its "testing" and modification of these creatures, GLaDOS spent years, its goal of course, creating a weapon with its knowledge of portals, modification (based very simply on the leg-braces used to prevent jarring as seen in Portal), eventually, the result was the 'Combine'.

8) Whether through Portal travel or happenstance, the 'Combine' under GLaDOS, now given a level of awareness and autonomy, spread out amongst worlds/dimensions... eventually chancing upon Xen (q.v. HL1)

Interesting to note that the 'control 'HQ' "voice"' used in HL2, HL2 ep1 and HL2 ep2 is robotically female, but also, actually voiced by the same actress. Coincidence?

9) Lastly, the 'Master GLaDOS' of Borealis has now been discovered back on Earth in the Artic (or maybe it was there all along...) The Portal Technology of Aperture Science which is of course far more reliable and 'ergonomic' than the Black Mesa technologies, located on Borealis is of great interest to Black Mesa/Lambda personnel.

* The portal gun, defence turrets, androids, "energy fields", "plasma-balls" (and the 'energy tracks' some of them operate), symbols, door locks, organisation and hierarchial dependancies of the various facilities of Aperture Science's Enrichment Centre, and GLaDOS are more than similar to equivalent artefacts utilised by the combine. Whilst it could be argued that due to Portal being more of a demonstration/introduction of the gameplay features, and therefore a conscious decision to re-use existing material by the development team rather than take time to create new content; I have seen many instances throughout the HL series where it has been seen nothing is a coincidence.

I was doing it off of memory. Sue me.

-Malice-

Postby -Malice- » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:43 pm UTC

Why would I wish to sue you? Or on what grounds?
How is that comment constructive or related to the topic?

I shall explain my reasons for posting what I did that you specifically pointed out errors in another post, while being inaccurate yourself, which is not just hypocritical, but impolite. Please be more mindful in future.
I'm hoping that your response was not intended to be as puerile as it comes across.

Do you have any comments with regards to the topical content of my post?
Since writing that, I also considered the following.

Spoiler:
the 'Impossible Test' stage, shows the level of complexity, albeit poorly implemented (in an in-game sense, not with regards to the developers etc.) of the testing methods. This certainly adds weight to the possibility of 'Test chamber 19' being an entire test. Along with the ending song and perhaps the fact that after completing the game, Chell has certainly displayed a wide range of skills and thought-processes outside of merely navigating via portals, but in survival, combat-scenarios armed with only wits and a portal-gun, acing out necessity despite moral implicit objections, and determination.

xenuphobia

Postby xenuphobia » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:10 pm UTC

Well your original spoiler was tl;dr, so I assumed it was nitpicking. I might have misused "sue me," there, really what I was trying to say was that I was too lazy to look it up while I was writing the post and I really don't care that much. I'm not trying to be an asshole, but I guess I get that a lot.

Also, you could turn the pretension down about four notches.

-Malice-

Postby -Malice- » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:36 pm UTC

Im sorry, I do not know what you mean by "tl;dr" could you elaborate. I hazard a guess that tl perhaps represents too long? If so, then I apologise, I wanted to include all my points, and for some the justification or relevant evidencing for them was rather lengthy, also, indeed, there were quite a few points.

Fair enough if you didn't want to read/look it up.
I wasn't intending to 'nitpick' anything but provide my theories and fill in some informaition that adds to previous posts in the topic. I marked the entirety as spoiler as the information overall pointed to "easter eggs", "revealed information", and non-portal tie-ins from HL/HL2 etc. that to err on the side of caution, all fell under the 'spoiler' banner.

If my response seemed terse or pretentious, I can inform you that was not the intent, but that I was merely trying to explain myself and my general dissatisfaction at seeing the uninspired response "I was doing it off of memory. Sue me."

Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby Nyarlathotep » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:07 am UTC

-Malice- wrote:tl;dr

tl;dr = Too Long; Didn't Read
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:17 pm UTC

Just got and beat this game last night. I loved it very much, and now understand what people mean by the game being too short. I'm definitely going to play through it again, this time I will be aiming for a few more achievements though. I think I only got the ones that it would be near impossible to miss (such as beating the game, getting the advanced portal gun, etc.).
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

Stay_Puft_marshmallows
Location: third tube from the left, and straight on till morning

Postby Stay_Puft_marshmallows » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:44 pm UTC

I play through all of portal from test chamber 4 through the end at least once a week (I'd start at the beginning, but I just can't deal with the intro sequence keeping me in the cage for, like, a WHOLE MINUTE!)

The Portal commentary tracks, specifically the bits about gamers not looking up, have made me a truly diabolical demoman/sticky-bomb artist in TF2 :twisted: at least, when I'm on my game and my ping doesn't spike :roll:

Fun things I always do:

1) carry every single turret alive and screaming through the Material Emancipation Grid at the end of chamber 16

2) stack all of the turrets, still active, in the highest cubbyhole in the big turret room (you know the one. And if you don't, then go play and find out), then set up a magnificent fling for them. I like putting the orange right where I can drop the guns into it, and the blue on the angled platform across the way. Unfortunately active sentries do not juggle well as the recoil from their panicked fire pushes them off course.

Pages ago, someone mentioned making a fort out of storage cubes. I may be crazy, but it feels like ever since I installed the Episodes the cubes don't stack stably anymore. Two is fine, but the third one always jiggles and tries to squirt off. Before I could stack them to the ceiling just by dropping them through a portal. Hmmm.

Storyline wise,
Spoiler:
I hope against hope that the Borealis had an AI aboard :wink:

Also, I think it's likely that Portal takes place during the portal storm after the Black Mesa incident that rendered the western US uninhabitable, as described in the HL back story
Spoiler:
that would explain what, exactly, pulled Chell and GLaDOS up out of the enrichment center and deposited them outside.
Regarding Chell, unfortunately I doubt she'll make it into Ep 3 unless G-Man swoops in and unceremoniously dumps her in Gordon's lap. And Alyx might get a little steamed at that.
text goes where?

AbNo

Postby AbNo » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:45 pm UTC

Stay_Puft_marshmallows wrote:And Alyx might get a little steamed at that.

"And here, as Alyx beats Chell's head in with a board, you can see the new model interaction physics, as well as damage deformities and an improved level of detail on the humanoid characters...."
Darwin was right, but nanny-staters keep trying to undermine him

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:50 pm UTC

"In addition, you can see how the blood spatter shows off our new particle system."

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:01 pm UTC

Don't know if anybody else has mentioned this, but during the opening part when GLaDOS is talking to you in the relaxation vault pick up the cup and drop it in the toilet. GLaDOS says something in Spanish. Bug, or nifty side effect?
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:28 pm UTC

Sorry to break your bubble (I really am, I'd feel proud of myself if I discovered that =( ) but that happens anyway. There's some sort of malfunction and she switches to Spanish and speeds up.

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:31 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:Sorry to break your bubble (I really am, I'd feel proud of myself if I discovered that =( ) but that happens anyway. There's some sort of malfunction and she switches to Spanish and speeds up.

Hmm, I should really pay more attention to things. Oh well.

i like pi

Postby i like pi » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:24 pm UTC

this thread... tl;dr
but it seems that this thread has been hijacked
Or something to that effect. Hell, I don't know.

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:38 pm UTC

i like pi wrote:this thread... tl;dr
but it seems that this thread has been hijacked

Hijacked from Portal discussion to Portal discussion?

The_Fozz

Postby The_Fozz » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:29 am UTC

-Malice- wrote:blahblahblah:theory

I like some of your theory, but some I don't, but you bring up some good points, and it made me come up with my own theory:

Spoiler:
(cliff notes at the bottom)

GLaDOS was built to aid in research and help integrate the whole company. In that, I'm sure she was designed with security protocol, as shown with the missile defense system.

Also, there are no researchers overseeing the tests any more, she HAS to know that, but due to her programming, (and the fact that she still has cake) she continues to run experiments, showing that she follows her programming regardless of what's going on.

So I'm sure she's programmed to never, ever let the research of Aperture Science to get into anyone else's hands, be it Black Mesa or the Combine.

However, they installed a morality core, so she didn't have any control over her defenses anymore. The first time you see a missile defense turret, you activate it with a button, GLaDOS does not, and we see that although her core systems are connected to make up GLaDOS's main system as seen at the end, she still is under control of the core even when it falls out of her, which shows that her cores can work wirelessly.

Which tells me that GLaDOS dropped her core to get Chell to destroy it, and continued to insult her to make her keep destorying the cores so that she could move to one of her backup cores, as shown in the ending.

Which allows GLaDOS to have total control over all of her systems and allow her to possibly jump from core to core, maybe there's a core on the ship, maybe there are other Aperture Science buildings besides the enrichment center, but it allows her to protect her research from getting into anyone's hands who shouldn't have it.

cliff-notes: GLaDOS gets Chell to destroy her main system, including the morality core, so that she can protect her research and technology from getting into enemy hands, be it Black Mesa or the Combine
~The difference between good design and great design is predictable failure.
~Even the coldness of logic and science can exhibit moments of exotherm.
~Geek of all trades, fanatic of none.

cakemaster

Postby cakemaster » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:10 pm UTC

I just wanna say, to all you jerks out there, the cake is not a lie, the graffiti is a lie. clearly, this is the case.

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:06 pm UTC

cakemaster wrote:I just wanna say, to all you jerks out there, the cake is not a lie, the graffiti is a lie. clearly, this is the case.

No no, the cake is definitely a lie. There is no proof that said cake actually existed. Even the movie afterwards doesn't prove it as no character has seen that cake.

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:27 pm UTC

Cake is or is not a lie:
Spoiler:
The cake, however, sits on your desk after you win.

Geekthras
3) What if it's delicious?

Postby Geekthras » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:19 am UTC

[spoiler]Well, the cake both is and is not a lie. The cake does indeed exist, BUT it is a lie because they said they would give you cake BUT it is not a lie because GLaDOS said that "You will be baked, and there will be cake." Which is not a lie because you were supposed to be baked and there was cake, you just didn't get any.
Wait. With a SPOON?!

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:46 pm UTC

Geekthras wrote:
Spoiler:
Well, the cake both is and is not a lie. The cake does indeed exist, BUT it is a lie because they said they would give you cake BUT it is not a lie because GLaDOS said that "You will be baked, and there will be cake." Which is not a lie because you were supposed to be baked and there was cake, you just didn't get any.

I thought it was a well established fact that GLaDOS is a homicidal liar, so anything it says can't be taken at face value.

Geekthras
3) What if it's delicious?

Postby Geekthras » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:36 pm UTC

The point is that it can be taken either way.

Anyway, when do you all think Portal occurs? It sounds to me like it's some time soon after the Seven Hour War.
Spoiler:
Three things:
1. "It's changed out there." Like Earth being taken over by the evil alien empire?
2. "I'm the only thing standing between us and them." Them = combine
3. "Maybe Black Mesa. That was a joke, haha, fat chance." While this could mean "You fail to hard to get into Black Mesa," I think it might be more like "It's got nukeds. Good luck gettin help from a radioactive hole in the ground."

What do you think?
Wait. With a SPOON?!

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:32 pm UTC

It could be, but it could also be:

Spoiler:
During the Black Mesa incident. It could be that...

"It's changed out there." Could be about the incident, or more specifically that Xen portals are opening all over the place.
"I'm the only thing standing between us and them." Them = Xen
"Maybe Black Mesa. That was a joke, haha, fat chance." Could be due to company rivalry.

Then again, I'm just as much for either theory. I just like to present alternate ones.

Stief

Postby Stief » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:45 pm UTC

Anyone noticed they've now got a live feed from the Aperture Science Holiday Chamber?

:D I like the christmas-sy version of Still Alive :mrgreen:

Edit: I hadn't seen Jonathan Coulton singing Still alive, but NOW I HAVE!
Last edited by Stief on Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:29 pm UTC

Yeah, Steam told me about the feed. It is rather interesting, and (excuse the fanboy moment) OMGWCCLOOKSSOCUTEINASANTAHAT!!!

AbNo

Postby AbNo » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:18 pm UTC

Can anyone provide a link to those of us away from their Steam accounts for a couple of weeks?
Darwin was right, but nanny-staters keep trying to undermine him

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:35 pm UTC

AbNo wrote:Can anyone provide a link to those of us away from their Steam accounts for a couple of weeks?

Stief already linked it, under the text "live feed from the Aperture Science Holiday Chamber".

Return to “Gaming”