call of duty 4

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

thisisdavid

call of duty 4

Postby thisisdavid » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:30 am UTC

Anyone played this yet? I'm torn between this and the orange box. Discuss?
Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. That is to say, it can be done, but the frog tends to die in the process.
-E.B. White

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Re: call of duty 4

Postby Jack Saladin » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:38 am UTC

Good: Campaign awesome beyond belief for its entire duration.

Bad (Very Bad): Five. Hours. Long. Five. Or less.

No way I'm dropping the modern day videogame price tag on five measly hours. Will be a great rent, though.

Get The Orange Box. Best value evar compared to COD.

thisisdavid

Postby thisisdavid » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:11 am UTC

yeah thats the way i'm leaning at the moment. I'd really be playing COD for the multiplayer largely, since I know that infinity ward doesn't skimp out in that department, but still, TF2 sounds about as appetizing.
Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. That is to say, it can be done, but the frog tends to die in the process.
-E.B. White

Garm

Postby Garm » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:59 pm UTC

For as short as the single player campaign was it was so freaking intense that I found it to be worth the money and the wait. Damn. It is sweet.

Now I'm playing it through again on Veteren. Even tho' I've gone through all the levels it's still quality. There's actually a fair amount of replay value in the campaign due to arcade mode. Multi-player is pretty awesome from what I've seen. There's some mode that I just unlocked where you play with 18 people. The fire fights are incredible.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

xenuphobia

Postby xenuphobia » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:17 pm UTC

I never really got into the whole CoD thing, but I can definitely vouch for TF2. It's got so much style and polish and variety that I play it all the time... when I can get a decent ping, that is.

Akula

Postby Akula » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:18 am UTC

I have to say that the AC-130 side-mission is just about the most viciously delightful thing ever.
"I never let my schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain

Delbin

Postby Delbin » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:07 pm UTC

It's hard to choose between the two. I stopped playing TF2 in favor of Call of Duty multiplayer, but you'd still be missing out on Portal and Half Life.

drconcon

Postby drconcon » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:54 am UTC

ORANGE BOX! ORANGE BOX! ORANGE BOX!
Belial wrote:Never assume you're safe.

That's when the raptors get yah!

shidobu

Postby shidobu » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:40 am UTC

Call of Duty has a much more compelling Multiplayer, in my opinion; but if you're looking for singleplayer fun, you can't beat HL2+EP1+EP2+Portal in one amazing package

I'm usually not a fan of multiplayer games, and prefer a good singleplayer, but I played about a half hour of the campaign before my roommate asked me to try out CoD4 multiplayer with him. 8 hours of online multiplayer later, I have yet to go back and continue the campaign.

Of Course, TF2 is exceedingly fun as well. Just not as... compelling, I suppose

Akula

Postby Akula » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:24 am UTC

shidobu wrote:Call of Duty has a much more compelling Multiplayer, in my opinion; but if you're looking for singleplayer fun, you can't beat HL2+EP1+EP2+Portal in one amazing package

I'm usually not a fan of multiplayer games, and prefer a good singleplayer, but I played about a half hour of the campaign before my roommate asked me to try out CoD4 multiplayer with him. 8 hours of online multiplayer later, I have yet to go back and continue the campaign.

Of Course, TF2 is exceedingly fun as well. Just not as... compelling, I suppose

I would encourage you to finish the campaign. Especially if you haven't yet gotten to the AC-130 Mission :D .

The campaign is short, but sweet. Much darker, grimmer experience too. And each mission is it's own special brand of awesome. Short... but sweet.
"I never let my schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain

Return to “Gaming”