Super Mario Galaxy

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Raldios

Super Mario Galaxy

Postby Raldios » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:33 am UTC

IGN 9.7/10

Super Mario Galaxy is one of the greatest platformers I have ever played, Wii's best game, and an absolute must-own experience. And to me, this odd trek through space really does feel like the true sequel to Mario 64. It harkens back to the N64 classic with nostalgic faces and places from the Mushroom Kingdom, but it also re-invents the franchise with new space-themed mechanics and fresh Wii-enhanced controls. It is, as I have said since I first played it, a near-perfect combination of old platforming values and new design.

Except to be blown away by the fantastic level challenges and galactic variety. Expect to be blown away by the addictive gravity effects -- you will jump off ledges just to see if you can rotate all the way around a structure. And expect to be blown away by the tight controls and beautiful graphics.

1up 9.5/10

Super Mario Galaxy should be free of any such contention. It is an exceptional game by any standard, Mario or otherwise. It doesn't invent new kinds of gameplay, but it represents something that is perhaps equally important: A rethinking of how 3D platformers should work. The decade since the N64's debut has seen the genre struggle (and generally fail) to move beyond simply piling needlessly complex controls and obsessive-compulsive item collection on Mario 64's foundation. Galaxy strips away those encumbrances, revisits the essential concepts that made its esteemed predecessor so enjoyable, and then expands on them in new and intriguing ways.

In short, Galaxy is one of the most impressive, engrossing games in recent memory -- and quite the contrast to the rest of this year's triple-A gaming crop, which tends toward the dark, the M-rated, and the first-person perspective. Gaming may be growing up (per se), but gamers will always appreciate beautifully polished gameplay and inventive design...even if it's sugarcoated with squeaky baby stars and a goofy cartoon of a hero. Galaxy proves that Mario matters just as much today as he did 25 years ago, and that makes him one of a kind in this medium. But don't play Galaxy simply because Mario is the timeless godfather of gaming. No, play Galaxy because it's fantastic.

Eurogamer 10/10

Super Mario Galaxy is an embarrassment. It's an embarrassment for platform games. It's an embarrassment for adventure games. It's an embarrassment for Nintendo and an embarrassment for the Wii. What have we all been playing at in the ten years since Super Mario 64 came out? This is what gaming ought to be like.

Bright, bold, unrepentantly loony, Galaxy is everything you wanted it to be. It's beautiful and inventive. It's pure-blood Mario without being a retro indulgence. It's a stiff platforming challenge and a free-wheeling romp. It's the best thing on Wii, and the best traditional game Nintendo has made in a decade. The only thing about it which dulls your enjoyment is the memory of all the mediocre games you've had to play in the meantime.

Wow, these guys are really loving the game. I'm picking up my copy as soon as I can.

rrwoods

Re: Super Mario Galaxy

Postby rrwoods » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:39 pm UTC

Raldios wrote:
Eurogamer wrote:The only thing about it which dulls your enjoyment is the memory of all the mediocre games you've had to play in the meantime.
That's a damn strong statement right there. I think I may just impulse-buy this... I've got several other games to play through, but as good as this one sounds, I don't think I can resist.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:44 pm UTC

It's out 4 days after my birthday, I'll definitely be getting it.

The only other games I have on my wii atm are RE4 and TP, I need something else to play and this looks amazing.
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

Pero

Postby Pero » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:34 am UTC

Anyone else get this yet? I've been playing it a bit (15 stars). Seems pretty awesome so far.

LDJosh

Postby LDJosh » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:48 pm UTC

everything they said is true. buy this. buy this now.

even if you don't have a wii.
--------
~Lameduck Josh
ninjajosh.com

FACM

Postby FACM » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:56 pm UTC

I don't really trust gaming sites anymore. They're universally biased towards advertisers, and numbers assigned to reviews generally mean nothing. [Ex: Lair for PS3 was ripped on the entire review, and it got a 7/10. Nevermind how much quality/fun a delta of .1 can mean]. I have enough game experience to know what to expect from a game by the developer alone for the most part. Nintendo has been iffy lately. MP3 was good, Paper Mario was flawed, and Z:TP bored me far too quickly [It's a Zelda game. You've played one of them, you've played them all.]

I was considering picking up SMG, and hoping a friend would get it first, but I also have Hellgate:London and Dragon Quest: Monsters to finish, so I might not actually get around to Mario this month.

jedieric

Postby jedieric » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:50 pm UTC

I played this for a bit last night and it's super, super fun. Very inventive and wacky. Plus it's fun for Player 2 to shoot stars at stuff and hold down enemies/help with double jumps, etc.

Kicking Goombas has to be one of the most satisfying things ever.
"When you're at my station in life, the only people you can stick it to are third-worlders"

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:53 pm UTC

Picked it up. Played what amounts to the demo, before work.
It looks pretty and seems fun.

As for game reviews, I personally prefer gamerankings for that reason, then I read a few random ones.
And that's generally only after friends have said good things.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

hydrapheetz

Postby hydrapheetz » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:31 am UTC

Gharbad wrote:It looks pretty and seems fun.

Seconding this statement. I picked up my copy a few days ago and haven't put it down since :(
Gharbad wrote:And that's generally only after friends have said good things.

A friend of mine where I work had a copy of the game a few days before I purchased my copy. I had been planning on buying it anyway (did the same with Sunshine, even though it was one of those love-it-or-hate-it games), but his opinion sort of reinforced that even more.

malec2b

Postby malec2b » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:57 am UTC

It's definatly a great game. It has a perfect mix of the new gravity/planet areas and classic platforming.

Bob251

Postby Bob251 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:40 am UTC

This game is tons of fun. Still working on getting the last 40 stars. I didn't have much of a problem with the Bubble Blast galaxy, though, like I seem to be reading a lot of. Only took about 6-7 tries on the second half.

Kag

Postby Kag » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:55 pm UTC

The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

upstreamcurrent

Postby upstreamcurrent » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:51 am UTC

I can't agree enough, I picked the game up last night, and it was really hard to go out into the real world today.

I'm not sure why I'm posting this and not playing, hmm...

Ghandi 2

Postby Ghandi 2 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:35 am UTC

According to gamerankings.com, it is the second best game ever. What's weird is that it was number one for a while, then Ocarina of Time came back and is number one again. Did a new review come in just now? :S

I don't agree with that list at all, but nobody cares. It's annoying that what is essentially Half-Life 2 takes up 3 spots on the top 10. I understand the separate ranking, but it doesn't have to go on the leaderboard twice.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:03 am UTC

FACM wrote:[Ex: Lair for PS3 was ripped on the entire review, and it got a 7/10. Nevermind how much quality/fun a delta of .1 can mean]

Which is why I fully support the 3 ranking system: Buy (Fun + Replay value), Rent (Fun + NO replay value or mediocre), Avoid (It sucks).

Aradae

Postby Aradae » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:13 am UTC

A lot of it was pretty easy but there were some parts that were just plain evil of Nintendo.

Spoiler:
Luigi's Purple Coins had me going for an hour and a half with upwards of 60 lives down the drain.
The Purple Coins for the Dreadnaught were also extremely hard and very frustrating because you have to get it perfect
I absolutely could not do the daredevil ghostship run until I remembered that I could spin to grab the shells
And lastly the purple coins for gold leaf galaxy had me screaming at my TV when I missed those jumps towards the end or accidentally fell off the tower. It's a good thing I always play with my wrist strap on.

Other than that it was just right, though mostly easy (If there had been a daredevil run for bowser's galaxy reactor I could get it consistently without fail)

I loved the musical score and having gravity playing a big role made a lot of the puzzles very interesting. To tell the truth after playing for a week I started to read upside down being more comfortable with navigating as such throughout many of the levels.
Guys guys guys! I found Russel's teapot! . . . nevermind, it was just Jesus flying to Mars again.

Nomic

Postby Nomic » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:23 pm UTC

It sound slike a very good game. Gotta buy it after I've finished Metroid Prime 3.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:29 pm UTC

I like it quite alot, my only complaint is that it's overall a bit too easy. Some maps are quite challanging but too much just "let's get this over with".
Still, love it. Wii needs more games like this.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:51 am UTC

I liked it so much, I gave it it's own word,
"Funky-Pwn-Tastic"
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

daydalus

Postby daydalus » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:56 pm UTC

It's a very fun game, but I thought it was a bit too short/easy. Granted, I just went for the easy win - 60 stars + last level. But compared to Mario 64, most of the levels seemed a bit linear - there's only one path you can take to get the featured stars. Plus, it lacks the "RPG" element of Mario 64 where you have to acquire various caps through difficult levels.

It's a very fun game, especially the boss fights that require innovative uses of the wii controller. But one of the best games of all time? No.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:43 pm UTC

It gets harder if you keep going for stars. Purple coin stars are fucking hard. not to mention a few levels are annoyingly bad.

I found the boss fights in general to be pretty weak, but still fun in most instances.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:27 pm UTC

I could never just do a 60-star win. I have been getting every star on each board before going on to the next one. I haven't done any "purple coin" levels though. I guess they start later - I'm only at about 28 stars.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:33 pm UTC

Purple stars start when you beat the game.
I beat the game at 60, then continued on. still slogging through 100%

Neuman

Postby Neuman » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:47 pm UTC

Just got the 120th Star yesterday. Turns out that it's actually kind of the half-way point.

Spoiler:
Super Luigi Galaxy!
Hello. I'm Leonard Nimoy. The following tale of alien encounters is true. And by true, I mean false. It's all lies. But they're entertaining lies. And in the end, isn't that the real truth? The answer is: No.

Hephesus

Postby Hephesus » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:26 pm UTC

I love this game. I think it's my fave Mario since Mario Bros. 3.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:05 am UTC

I got 100 stars before doing the last level. It's a great game, but most of it is too easy and the purple star levels are boring and frustrating. That's why I didn't get 120 stars. It's a great game, but it's no Super Mario 64.

Just my two star bits.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Flashh

Postby Flashh » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:05 am UTC

I recently picked this game up about a week ago, and I'd have to say I prioritize this over Half-Life 2; Ep1, and Ep2.

It's a very fun game, and some parts can be quite challenging and frustrating!

I agree daydalus; best game of all time? No.

.. But must have for the Wii? YES!

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:02 am UTC

I had 99 stars last night, and was going for the 100th... I was in the air over some random boss, just had to hip-drop to win and get my star, and...

The batteries go dead in the remote.

Now, I guess this is my fault, since it's been warning me for days that the batteries are getting flat... but the scientist in me wanted to know how long they'd last after it first told me they were getting low...

So I pull out the batteries and swap them over (for some reason that often helps squeeze the last few millijoules out) and kill the boss, get my star. So now I've got 100 stars and a dead remote... I'll have to go battery shopping today.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Alibaba

Postby Alibaba » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:02 am UTC

This game rocked.
Spoiler:
However, I have yet to play more than one level with Luigi...

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:22 pm UTC

phlip wrote:So I pull out the batteries and swap them over (for some reason that often helps squeeze the last few millijoules out) and kill the boss, get my star. So now I've got 100 stars and a dead remote... I'll have to go battery shopping today.

Protip: Buy a charger and battery set. A charger with 4 rechargeable AAs will run you ~$20, and last far longer than $20 of alkaline AAs will last you. They also work with anything else that takes AAs. I was running through batteries in my Wiimotes like they were nothing.

(I also don't understand why people buy proprietary rechargeable battery packs for 360 and Wii controllers when they cost just as much and can only be used on those.)

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:41 pm UTC

So wait, if you get the 60-star win, does it not let you continue playing on that file? I was going to "finish" the game, and then go back to get the rest of the stars, but if that isn't possible it would be good to know.
31/M/taken/US

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:20 pm UTC

I'd be shocked if that was the case, but I haven't even gotten that yet, so I don't know for sure!

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:51 pm UTC

rrwoods wrote:So wait, if you get the 60-star win, does it not let you continue playing on that file? I was going to "finish" the game, and then go back to get the rest of the stars, but if that isn't possible it would be good to know.
Once you save Princess, you get the credits, and go back to the menu. You can then load your game again and get the rest of the stars. The purple star comets don't appear until Princess is rescued (I think?) so it may actually be necessary to get the 60 star win first.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:01 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:Protip: Buy a charger and battery set. A charger with 4 rechargeable AAs will run you ~$20, and last far longer than $20 of alkaline AAs will last you. They also work with anything else that takes AAs. I was running through batteries in my Wiimotes like they were nothing.

Yep, I did... the batteries that died were the ones that came with the Wii (which I only bought a week or two ago).

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:42 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:Protip: Buy a charger and battery set. A charger with 4 rechargeable AAs will run you ~$20, and last far longer than $20 of alkaline AAs will last you. They also work with anything else that takes AAs. I was running through batteries in my Wiimotes like they were nothing.

(I also don't understand why people buy proprietary rechargeable battery packs for 360 and Wii controllers when they cost just as much and can only be used on those.)

When you say "just as much", do you mean "exactly as much" or "just as much if not more"? I'm thinking of getting a charge stand for my remotes, for the dual purpose of being a more convenient place to store them (currently they're in a drawer where they get jostled around and the buttons get pushed and they run out of battery without being used) as well as to save long-term on batteries.
31/M/taken/US

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:04 pm UTC

rrwoods wrote:

When you say "just as much", do you mean "exactly as much" or "just as much if not more"? I'm thinking of getting a charge stand for my remotes, for the dual purpose of being a more convenient place to store them (currently they're in a drawer where they get jostled around and the buttons get pushed and they run out of battery without being used) as well as to save long-term on batteries.

It's not difficult to find a set of a wall charger and four batteries for around $20. A quick look on Amazon shows two for that, and a couple more for more for a bit more(generally better chargers, which can help with battery longevity). Chargestations seem to range from $7 for a single one to over $30 for a double one. The big difference here is that rechargeable AAs (and the cheap chargers will accept AAAs also, with the more expensive ones being "universal" and allowing AAA-D, plus 9V) can be used in ANYTHING that takes AAs: TV remotes, Wii remotes, 360 controllers, digital cameras, calculators, whatever. The one disadvantage is that you have to swap out batteries rather than have them constantly being charged when not in use. What I do is buy another pack of rechargeables (~$10-12 for four 2500 mAh AAs at retail) whenever I get to the point that I have none in the charger at a given time, so I can easily swap out as needed. Eventually, I'll be fully saturated with rechargeables in devices such that I won't need to buy any more batteries. And like I said, the initial four batteries will last for years without needing to be replaced.

Plus, you're saving the environment if that's important to you.

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:30 pm UTC

I have rechargeable AAs all over my house. My camera used to use AAs, so I bought them for that, but used them a ton with my GBA, wireless mouse and keyboard and various remotes. Now with the Wii also.

Check out some "deal" websites and you can get big sets of off-brand for pretty cheap. Name brand probably last longer, but if you've always got some charged, what's the difference?

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:36 am UTC

VTHodge wrote:I could never just do a 60-star win. I have been getting every star on each board before going on to the next one. I haven't done any "purple coin" levels though. I guess they start later - I'm only at about 28 stars.

Same here. I don't know how many I have, but I've got about 58 left to go. I've never heard of purple coins.
The game's amazing, I just wish I hadn't saved "my special one" so early (just one star ago). It's not gonna stop me from finishing everything, but now going on seems less...purposeful. It feels like I'm just playing some video game instead of working as hard as I can to save my special one =D
The game's still awesome.
What's the advantage of getting more coins?
Wanna hear the truth? Life is downright ok.

Return to “Gaming”