Chrono Trigger

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Kizyr

Re: Chrono Trigger

Postby Kizyr » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:46 am UTC

Shadic wrote:My ROM apparently doesn't have the event in which Ayla appears working correctly, I need a new one. :cry:

...are you sure it's the ROM? Could be the emulator, or something as simple as the emulator's settings. If the appearance isn't working, but the game doesn't freeze or anything, then it's likely an issue with the emulator. KF
~Kizyr

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:17 am UTC

Well, after going through the portal, you're supposed to fight some dinosaurs, have more appear, and they Ayla comes out of nowhere to save the day, yeah?

And that's in the same area that the portal was in?

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:34 am UTC

If you DID everything, that happens. If you didn't you have to go back and do it.

*ahem*

CURSED WOODS (600 AD)
    ---------------------

Go to Cursed woods and talk to Frog. He’ll recognize the Medal. After telling
    you that he has no right to wield the Masamune, he’ll move and you shall
    notice the pot is now glittering. Examine it and you’ll see the other half of
    the Masamune Blade. You will then discover that the word “roichlem” is
    written. It’s Melchior! :) Now leave the cursed woods and go to Truce Canyon
    and teleport to the End of Time.

END OF TIME
    -----------

Now, do what you should always do here. Restore HP/MP, change party members if
    necessary and save. After that, use pillar #6 to Medina Village 1000 AD. When
    you reach 1000 AD, head to Melchior’s Hut.

MELCHIOR’S HUT (1000 AD)
    ------------------------

Talk to Melchior. He’ll be surprised that you have the Masamune Blade. He will
    then tell you to get Dream stones, which are not around anymore for a long
    time. Did you guess it? Yup. You have to go to the prehistoric era to get it.
    So go to the Residence and use the gate. Do the thing you normally do at the
    End of time then finally, use pillar #4 to Mystic Mountains 65,000,000 BC.

MYSTIC MOUNTAIN (65,000,000 BC)
    -------------------------------
    Item/s:
    Berserker
    Third Eye

Right after you are teleported, you’ll fall right away. There will be reptites
    roaming around and they will attack your party. The technique in beating these
    reptites is for you to use Lightning Attacks.

Stief

Postby Stief » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:31 am UTC

Am resurrecting this thread to point out today's Wikipedia featured article =P
Spoiler:
wooo!.jpg
wooo!.jpg (180.11 KiB) Viewed 3911 times

It reminded me to play it again :D

I seem to be in the habit of confronting Magus, losing and just not playing Chrono trigger for a while...it's a cycle D:

however, I shall persevere! (I hope :P)
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

Benitosimies

Postby Benitosimies » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:00 am UTC

Stief wrote:Am resurrecting this thread to point out today's Wikipedia featured article =P
Spoiler:
wooo!.jpg

It reminded me to play it again :D

I seem to be in the habit of confronting Magus, losing and just not playing Chrono trigger for a while...it's a cycle D:

however, I shall persevere! (I hope :P)

Or just have him join up. He's like the third coolest character in that game.
хлэб и Воля

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:08 am UTC

Ahh, such an awesome game. Just a little bit too short, though. I need to play Chrono Cross.

Why isn't Square raking in the bazillions with a DS remake already? It baffles me.

Girl™ wrote:Oh man, I need to track down the CT re-release they did for PS1. I played it on an emulator, but the ROM I had was jacked, and I never got all the way through the game. I'm much happier playing on a console than on my computer, anyway. :\

It needs to be stated that by all accounts, the PS1 version is the bollocks, with constant and very annoying load times.

In addition to the remixes already mentioned, I would like to recommend the officially-released "Brink of Time" soundtrack. It has been described as "acid jazz", and while that is a marked departure from the usual orchestral releases, it's still quite pleasant to listen to.

And I shall also state my hearty approval of Radical Dreamers, the obscure text-only sequel whose history is described in far greater depth elsewhere.

integral

Postby integral » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:31 am UTC

I played through this game at least five times. It never gets old. I used Crono, Frog, and Robo. Robo with Crisis Arm and 999 HP = 5k Uzzi Punch. Frog is just kickass with fully buffed muramasa. I really enjoyed the sidequests and side-plot development as well as the twists of the plot.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:10 pm UTC

I must say, this is tied (with Diablo II) for my favorite game ever. Magus and Frog are the best. I've got the rom (as well as many other roms) and Zsnes if you were wondering.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

alexjhh

Postby alexjhh » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:47 pm UTC

Damn, now I want to play this and finally finish it. It seems stupid that I don't have this on my shitty laptop, but instead have it on my *reasonably* powerful image editing PC. However, I melted the video card a couple of weeks back, and have to wait for a new one :(
"The train seemed boring after the flying carpets of years before" - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:51 pm UTC

"Frog's Theme" and "Saddest Theme" are up there with "Cyan's Theme" and "Celes Opera" in the ranks of Greatest Video Game Music Ever.

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:22 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:"Frog's Theme" and "Saddest Theme" are up there with "Cyan's Theme" and "Celes Opera" in the ranks of Greatest Video Game Music Ever.

Oh man, Saddest Theme is so... damn... moving...

I'm also a huge fan of Wind Scene (600 AD).
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

Stief

Postby Stief » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:41 pm UTC

I love the fact that we were all rickrolled by Robo's theme (which is also an awesome song) ^_^
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:30 pm UTC

Stief wrote:I love the fact that we were all rickrolled by Robo's theme (which is also an awesome song) ^_^

??

What part of those songs are alike?

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:32 pm UTC

Listen and learn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS3BuvG8w8A

Also, what's this "Saddest Theme" that people are talking about? That's not the name of it on the OSV, at any rate.

integral

Postby integral » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:33 pm UTC

Durinthal wrote:Listen and learn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS3BuvG8w8A

Also, what's this "Saddest Theme" that people are talking about? That's not the name of it on the OSV, at any rate.

I think it's also known as Singing Mountain.

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:01 pm UTC

Singing Mountain is a different song. I'm not sure what Saddest Theme is called on the soundtrack... I don't have it, so I can't check the songs one by one.

Here's a youtube, though: http://youtube.com/watch?v=IxMZIcOEHMA
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:22 pm UTC

it is called "At the bottom of night" - Disk 3, Track 3 on the official OST.
-Syphex (youtube comment)
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:51 pm UTC

hendusoone wrote:Here's a youtube, though: http://youtube.com/watch?v=IxMZIcOEHMA

Yup, At the Bottom of Night as mentioned. He's pretty good with it, too.

I'm greatly amused and impressed by what some people can do in Mario Paint:
World Revolution
Undersea Palace
Tyrano Lair

DHF

Postby DHF » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:58 am UTC

I still have yet to do a New Game+ and beat Lavos over and over and over and over and over. I feel like I'm abandoning my RPGamer duties, especially since it's ranked my #4 RPG of all time. D:

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:30 am UTC

I've often preferred "Tyran Castle", myself. But really, it's all good.

integral

Postby integral » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:08 am UTC

Wow, that singer for some of those symphonics (Jillian Goldin, 'pixietricks') is really good.

Thenzon

Postby Thenzon » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:49 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:
Why isn't Square raking in the bazillions with a DS remake already? It baffles me.

Cause Enix is screwing them over.

I know its a bit late, but it had to be said.

ParanoidDrone

Postby ParanoidDrone » Thu May 01, 2008 6:18 am UTC

Recently downloaded this game and am on my second playthrough. Beating up that first group of imps with Luminaire is so...satisfying. ^_^

Equally fun is beating Zeal (first form, the one that spams Hallation) in two rounds of Luminaire, Flare, and Dark Matter. I don't care if Frog Flare is better. <_<; (actually, I haven't checked the damage output yet, so idk if it is or not.)

And the final battle has the trippiest background this side of Mother.
Insert witty phrase here.

integral

Postby integral » Fri May 02, 2008 12:46 am UTC

What about 999-HP Robo using Uzzi Punch with Crisis Arm? It deals 6k damage for me.

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Fri May 02, 2008 1:14 am UTC

I've never actually done it, but ayla at level 99 is supposed to be the only way to do 9999 damage.

Kag

Postby Kag » Fri May 02, 2008 4:33 am UTC

Omega Flare could probably do it, but I've never tried.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Fri May 02, 2008 3:54 pm UTC

Gunfingers wrote:I've never actually done it, but ayla at level 99 is supposed to be the only way to do 9999 damage.*

*With one character.

The combo attacks spike at earlier levels.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat May 03, 2008 4:38 pm UTC

Indeed, don't all the stats become stars long before level 99?

Alya's fists do get upgraded every time you start a New Game+, though (or so I understand).

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Sat May 03, 2008 4:46 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:Indeed, don't all the stats become stars long before level 99?

Alya's fists do get upgraded every time you start a New Game+, though (or so I understand).

I think they just improve with levels, hitting their final form at 99. (Which always deals 9999 with critical hits)

AvalonXQ

Postby AvalonXQ » Fri May 09, 2008 8:36 pm UTC

TheGZeus

Postby TheGZeus » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:44 am UTC

My strategy the past few times has been to either kill or ignore Magus...because he sucks.
no triple techs, and even if you level/tab him all the way up his attacks are nothing compared to Flare and Luminaire.
Physical attacks aren't much either.

I beat him in like 5 minutes first play through this time around (this like like number 50...150? I used to level up by playing through. Friends and I would have contests on who could get more stats to stars faster, more endings...)

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:08 am UTC

TheGZeus wrote:no triple techs.
You may have to find the rock thingies, but Magus definitely does have triple techs.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Kag

Postby Kag » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:28 am UTC

I think TheGZeus may be (correctly) recalling that Magus doesn't have any double techs. He is part of the Omega Flare and Dark Eternal triples.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

zombie_monkey

Postby zombie_monkey » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:34 am UTC

I downloaded an emulator and a ROM and played it with a friend about ten years ago. It used to consistently crash at the pterodactyl riding cutscene (it never finished).

TheGZeus

Postby TheGZeus » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:57 pm UTC

Kag wrote:I think TheGZeus may be (correctly) recalling that Magus doesn't have any double techs. He is part of the Omega Flare and Dark Eternal triples.

oh yeah.
I stopped using him when I realised it wasn't hard to have EVERYONE else be more powerful than him when you get him.
His techs LOOK cool, and that black hole one is a really neat concept, but they're all show.
Also, those triples aren't as good as flare at level 36, no magic tabs. (as I recall)
Hell, NO triples are worth using another players turn VS just using Flare, Luminaire, Triple Kick or *forgets name of Crono's most powerful physical attack*.
So, I either end him, or name him Anus and leave him at The End Of Time forever.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:02 am UTC

TheGZeus wrote:
Kag wrote:I think TheGZeus may be (correctly) recalling that Magus doesn't have any double techs. He is part of the Omega Flare and Dark Eternal triples.

oh yeah.
I stopped using him when I realised it wasn't hard to have EVERYONE else be more powerful than him when you get him.
His techs LOOK cool, and that black hole one is a really neat concept, but they're all show.
Also, those triples aren't as good as flare at level 36, no magic tabs. (as I recall)
Hell, NO triples are worth using another players turn VS just using Flare, Luminaire, Triple Kick or *forgets name of Crono's most powerful physical attack*.
So, I either end him, or name him Anus and leave him at The End Of Time forever.

NO triples are worth those. However, I'm pretty sure Magus has the highest Magic attack and defense at comparable levels, and Dark Matter is on par with Flare or Luminare, only shadow based. Plus, he's awesome
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:41 am UTC

/haven't read the thread.

But I just had a friend loan me his SNES for the summer, and I made him pick out three games for me to play, because I've have played essentially zero console games. Chrono Trigger is next on my list, once I beat Zelda: Link to the Past.

ParanoidDrone

Postby ParanoidDrone » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:33 am UTC

I think it's interesting that until fairly recently, I assumed that the Antipode dual techs were named such because it sounded cool. Turns out it's a real word. Who knew?
Insert witty phrase here.

Kag

Postby Kag » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:36 am UTC

Mo0man wrote:NO triples are worth those. However, I'm pretty sure Magus has the highest Magic attack and defense at comparable levels, and Dark Matter is on par with Flare or Luminare, only shadow based. Plus, he's awesome

Magus does have higher magic than other characters (only he and Lucca max out the magic stat naturally, and he does it a dozen levels earlier), but Dark Matter is slightly weaker than any other ultimate magic attack, having a multiplier of 15.5, compared to Flare at 17.25 and Luminaire at 20.5.

Not that any of this matters, there's not really any battles where you need to optimize in Chrono Trigger. It's kind of an easy game, and even if you use magus, with a maxed out magic stat (I'm not clear on what ** means numerically, so I could be wrong), spamming ultimates will get you about 10,000 damage a round.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:28 am UTC

Indeed, it is an easy game.

I read an analysis a long, long time ago that, if nothing else, suggested that Chrono's stats build much more slowly in the Japanese version than the US version. I've never read anything about that since then, though.

Return to “Gaming”