Vampire the masquerade: Bloodlines

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Citizen K

Re: Vampire the masquerade: Bloodlines

Postby Citizen K » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:56 pm UTC

I thought Jack got some pretty awesome dialog. One of my favorite lines:
"Every time I rip out a jawbone and then ram it in an eye socket, I know I'm building a better future."
Beware the cows! Not all milk is enriched.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:33 pm UTC

JayDee wrote:
Spoiler:
from the White Wolf Wiki: "It must be noted though that some Vampire: The Masquerade supplements mention a Malkavian pretending to be Caine who travels around with Jack."

Keep in mind that many of the old White Wolf Supplements are written largely from the point of view of a character (at least until you hit the game-mechanics chapter), and don't contain 100% (or, in some cases, even a majority) unbiased, canon fact* so...

Spoiler:
...since most vampires, when confronted with a vampire who claims to be Cain (especially one who acts so unlike their personal image of how the father of all vampires should act, and makes no claim to power), would just assume it was a malkavian with delusions, it could well actually be Caine, but the narrator assumes otherwise without even really considering it.

*Funny story, the Ananasi sourcebook actually had to include a final chapter that amounted to "Here are all the ways the narrator was bullshitting you throughout the rest of the book, because otherwise you'd think their egotistical, pompous bullshit was actually canon truth"
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

xenuphobia

Postby xenuphobia » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:29 pm UTC

From Wikipedia:

Wikipedia wrote:When any character uses the Auspex trait, the enigmatic Taxi Driver has a purple aura, which is used for supernatural entities such as vampires in the game. A Malkavian character can identify the Taxi Driver as "Caine" in dialog. Another clue that he is Caine is that when talking to the seer on the Santa Monica Beach one line of dialogue from her mentions a smiling man (Smiling Jack) and the 'Father' (Caine, the father of Vampires) standing behind him, at the end of the game the cutscenes contain Jack sitting in a chair laughing and then the taxi driver walks up behind him, implying that he is the "Father". Additionally, the sound files containing the Taxi Driver's dialog audio are all named with the prefix "Caine", implying that this character is intended to be the father of all vampires. One conclusion that could be derived from the taxi driver's name is that since he's the father, he must drive his children - the characters in the game - around the city. However, in an interview a developer simply stated that whether or not the taxi driver was Caine or not was a question which had no answer, comparable to the contents of the briefcase in Pulp Fiction.

I don't know how they could insert all of that stuff into the game files and then back off and say "Oooh, what a mystery!"

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:37 pm UTC

xenuphobia wrote:From Wikipedia:

Wikipedia wrote:When any character uses the Auspex trait, the enigmatic Taxi Driver has a purple aura, which is used for supernatural entities such as vampires in the game. A Malkavian character can identify the Taxi Driver as "Caine" in dialog. Another clue that he is Caine is that when talking to the seer on the Santa Monica Beach one line of dialogue from her mentions a smiling man (Smiling Jack) and the 'Father' (Caine, the father of Vampires) standing behind him, at the end of the game the cutscenes contain Jack sitting in a chair laughing and then the taxi driver walks up behind him, implying that he is the "Father". Additionally, the sound files containing the Taxi Driver's dialog audio are all named with the prefix "Caine", implying that this character is intended to be the father of all vampires. One conclusion that could be derived from the taxi driver's name is that since he's the father, he must drive his children - the characters in the game - around the city. However, in an interview a developer simply stated that whether or not the taxi driver was Caine or not was a question which had no answer, comparable to the contents of the briefcase in Pulp Fiction.

I don't know how they could insert all of that stuff into the game files and then back off and say "Oooh, what a mystery!"

Why? It's not exactly conclusive. I encountered all that in the game and it never occurred to me to think he was actually Caine.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:40 pm UTC

Really? Why not? It was implied extremely heavily, and is exactly the sort of thing White Wolf does all the time.

I literally giggled for half an hour when I put 2 and 2 together and realized that one of the Death Lords in Wraith: The Oblivion was actually Eve.

Waiting for her son, who still walks the earth, to join her, indeed.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:38 pm UTC

Not sure, really. It didn't occur to me. I guess I was thinking that the characters in the game would think that, but it wasn't actually true. My suspicions about the box throughout the game were along the lines of "this is a fake, someone is playing us".

Also, the most recent VtM sourcebook I'd read was Gehenna (which I rather enjoyed, incidentally) which had multiple endings-of-the-world, and was set after Bloodlines, which might have had something to do with it.

xenuphobia

Postby xenuphobia » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:09 am UTC

It's not blatantly obvious in the game, no, but when the devs actually, intentionally, label the Taxi Driver's dialogue as "Caine," then that should raise a few flags.

Redem

Postby Redem » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:56 am UTC

Such an awesome game, baring certain technical problems... >_>

But if you can get into the game, and ignore all that, you find a level of wit and humour that is severely lacking in the vast majority of games. Definitely one of the better games I've played in recent years.

On the subject of Caine... I really felt that it was implied strongly enough to considered reasonably likely. Whether it can be considered canon is another matter of course, but I never knew about the labelling of the sound files. Surely that indicates that it was almost certainly intended to BE Caine?

And, as a previous posted stated, the snuff film plot arc freaked me out >.<
Man that was cold.

And the hotel was bloody creepy, almost as much as the cradle in Thief 3. Which is saying something.
Assuming that they can get into their character's heads, anyone would feel it.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:29 am UTC

Redem wrote:On the subject of Caine... I really felt that it was implied strongly enough to considered reasonably likely. Whether it can be considered canon is another matter of course, but I never knew about the labelling of the sound files. Surely that indicates that it was almost certainly intended to BE Caine?

Why? Why does that make it more likely that is is Caine than someone who is pretending to be / claims to be Caine. Especially if they aren't given another name in the game, and there is already a generic 'taxi driver'.

Redem

Postby Redem » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:36 am UTC

But they never claimed to BE Caine. All of the evidence (bar the file names) was extremely vague. Like it was being hinted at, but never said. If it was someone pretending to be Caine, it would seem that it would have been far more explicit.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:02 am UTC

Redem wrote:But they never claimed to BE Caine.

Fair enough. As I mentioned, I'm going off other sources than just the game.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:20 am UTC

I interpreted it as an inside joke; a nod to those who would get it.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Shabooty

Postby Shabooty » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:19 am UTC

Crap, I think I have to buy this game now.

Stief

Postby Stief » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:50 am UTC

Shabooty wrote:Crap, I think I have to buy this game now.

Yes, yes you should!

Regardless of time, or whether the shop is open or not, it is IMPERATIVE YOU BUY THIS GAME!

Phew....sorry about that...
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

xenuphobia

Postby xenuphobia » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:46 am UTC

That's why I like Steam; you never have to worry about whether they're open or not. They'll always accept your money and start downloading straight away. Whether you like the download time is a different question, though.

If you come with a fresh copy of the game, I'll recommend patching it with the Unofficial Patch 5.04AT, the one that fixes a lot of the bugs but doesn't mess around with the items or the game's content. There's a bunch of different places, just Google vampire bloodlines 5.04 patch and you'll find it somewhere. If you get it from Steam, the install directory will be [drive name]/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/vampire the masquerade - bloodlines by default. Also, if you have a widescreen monitor you'll want the widescreen patcher, which is at http://www.fileplanet.com/files/150000/156598.shtml (if you like Fileplanet, anyway - if anybody wants a Rapidshare mirror just yell and I'll upload it there too).

Shabooty

Postby Shabooty » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:15 am UTC

I got and installed the unofficial patch 4.4 but for some reason mouse look is really jerky. It doesn't seem like it's related to fps either. Any thoughts?

AbNo

Postby AbNo » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:56 am UTC

Mmm, turn down your mouse sensitivity? Turn on mouse smoothing?

Get a new mouse? :P
Darwin was right, but nanny-staters keep trying to undermine him

Ketzerei

Postby Ketzerei » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:46 pm UTC

Game's half off on Steam for the rest of 2007. If you've been thinking of getting it, now would be a great time. For ten bucks, I don't think you can afford not to.
とても嬉しかったよ
君が笑い掛けてた
全てを溶かす微笑みで

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:44 am UTC

this thread has convinced me to do just that. I just downloaded steam. I'm totally going to buy the orange box too...
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel
Location: I am a child of the city of destruction . . . So, my location is the city of dectruction!

Postby Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:29 pm UTC

This thread almost made me cry! . . . I played up to the
Spoiler:
exploding cave and then it crashed like normal, over and over again . . . so I downloaded the official patch which was 3 hours not well spent . . . upon finding it not working, the next day I downloaded one of the unofficial patches. Ten hours not spent even slightly well . . . and after having to go all though the game back up to that exact point and get into the cave and get on the boat at the last possible second (well, 3 seconds) . . . it crashed . . . then I had to fix several holes in the wall because of how angry I was . . . By the way, I have dial up so downloading patches takes a lot longer than it should . . . mostly because my dial up is way below international standard. I cant even get broadband at my place, the phone lines cant handle it! :cry: . . . so I spent 13 hours downloading patches that didn't work . . . I never got past the exploding cave because of the stupid government who wont update the phone lines . . .

I have since had to delete the game from my computer because I needed the space for other, newer games that actually work properly without causing me to have a mental hernia at every loading screen and at every point where I need it to be nice . . .

But other than that, it is one of the single greatest games I have ever played! :mrgreen: . . . I'm quite serious, if they had actually finished the game, it would have been the greatest game to ever exist in the history of gaming and the universe!

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:11 pm UTC

The mood and atmosphere of this game are fantastic. The only flaw I had with it was how combat intensive it got later on. It wasn't hard or anything but it made it too hack and slash for my liking of VTM. I mean its utterly ridiculous at how many vampires you kill going through the Sabbat hotel. I'd accept killing a ton of Sabbat henchmen or ghouls or whatever, but you easily kill 20-30 vampires in that hotel. Considering you're a fledgling neonate that really should end in your death. Same thing at the end where you're fighting your way through LaCroix's building. It would have been neat if there was some social way of getting to Lacroix (and his apparently 7th gen Sherrif =/). It also felt a little off that I couldn't just kill the werewolf hand to hand considering I was a Brujah with 5 potence and 5 celerity. Still overall it was definitely an enjoyable game.

Phrozt

Postby Phrozt » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:59 pm UTC

Huh, after reading this thread I might give it a try. I actually played P&P V:tm when I was younger. I played a Tremere there, so I suppose I'd try one out in this game, assuming it's anything close to similar.

AbNo

Postby AbNo » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:03 pm UTC

As far as the bugs, especially in the engine, you have to remember Valve only allowed Troika to use a beta version of Source.

There IS, however, a project to move VTMB to a newer version of the engine.

http://wiki.thedaedalus.net/mediawiki/i ... /Main_Page

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:08 pm UTC

Phrozt wrote:Huh, after reading this thread I might give it a try. I actually played P&P V:tm when I was younger. I played a Tremere there, so I suppose I'd try one out in this game, assuming it's anything close to similar.

All the Disciplines have been made to be more action/combat oriented. They're really nothing like their counterparts in the P&P game. Thaumaturgy has a blood bolt attack, an AoE blood bolt attack and a blood shield. I don't remember what the 4th one is but the only one that is the same is Cauldron of Blood at level 5 which lets you make people explode (and horribly violate the Masquerade). Its a bit stronger than the P&P version since its ranged in this one...but it doesnt seem terribly effective against supernaturals. All Auspex does it let you see auras and it increases your perception score (more increase and clearer auras depending on leve), no telepathy or astral projection. Dominate sometimes comes up in conversations but otherwise has some fairly random combat abilities including the ability to make people commit suicide at level 5 (which is fairly broken too :P).

tpd

Postby tpd » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:19 pm UTC

Oh a less buggy version of this game would be awesome. I really enjoyed it, but got to one part (can't remember which) and just couldn't progress any further because of some code bug.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:01 am UTC

I've been craving this game for the last couple of weeks. I never had problems with bugs, but I couldn't torture myself with those loading times again.
AbNo wrote:There IS, however, a project to move VTMB to a newer version of the engine.
That's pretty neat. Although I'll admit the thing that amuses me most is the extra word it would put in the title. Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines: Revival. Nice.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

AbNo

Postby AbNo » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:46 am UTC

JayDee wrote:I've been craving this game for the last couple of weeks. I never had problems with bugs, but I couldn't torture myself with those loading times again.

You've obviously never tried to connect to a Spacebuild 3 server in Gmod.... :(

Try ten+ minutes to load sometimes, literally. I know because my screensaver kicked in once while I was waiting....

Location: I am a child of the city of destruction . . . So, my location is the city of dectruction!

Postby Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:23 am UTC

Load times on this game were for you to go to the toilet and get food! . . . they realy served no other purpose! . . . I actually started calculating where to go in what order so I had to do the least amount of loading! :mrgreen: . . .

Also, Malkavian is the most awesome thing ever! I love playing as Malkavian! I loved where
Spoiler:
that lady comes up to you in the street saying that she knows you and that you were supposed to be going to a party with her and everyone was worried about you. And you say something like "My face is so common. I feel so generic" and that was awesome! :mrgreen:

Pizzashark

Postby Pizzashark » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:48 am UTC

I played most of the way through as Brujah, just smashing faces, but never actually finished. It's been a long damn time.
UDSA inspected, FDA approved.
Everyone wants a slice.™

Postby Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:20 am UTC

Some Asshole wrote:I played most of the way through as Brujah, just smashing faces, but never actually finished. It's been a long damn time.

The first time I played it, I played as Brujah . . . man I love the time slowing down thing at top level . . . but then I found out about the pleasures a Malkavian can offer :wink: :mrgreen: please tell me you know what I ment by that! Stop that - LTB

alexjhh

Postby alexjhh » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:40 am UTC

Really should try and dig this out again - I remember doing the omgawesome hotel level, and a bit more, but also getting screwed by not being able to deactivate my blood shield or something, so I'd break the masquerade every time I left the area and went back outside into the street.

Great dialogue though, the Malk stuff was great.
"The train seemed boring after the flying carpets of years before" - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:37 am UTC

I played through as a Ventrue socialite, I believe. But then I also had excellent gun skills. I dumped a lot of the blood disciplines that gave spells because I generally dislike casting offensive spells and buffs in a combat situation in any game.

I adored the Voermans near the start. Isolated, the track that plays in their club, was on my mp3 player for a while. I also played through their storyline about 5 or 6 times to explore all the possibilities. However I never finished the game. I can't remember how far I got. The last thing I remember was taking care of the gargoyle. I talked my way out of killing him. I think I'd cleared most of the other stuff in that part of the city. The superb writing was what kept me going, the combat was a bit meh and there wasn't too much else to really hold you in. Just the story. It did the job well, though.
nightlina wrote:We get stick insects here.. they're pretty cool and stick-like.

Phen

Postby Phen » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:26 pm UTC

Sigh... I'm tempted to try to install the game again. I did remember the dialogue being pretty funny at times... I just *hate* the haunted hotel level. Hate hate hate. The second time I tried to man up and play through it I turned sound completely off and loud music to try and counter some of the atmosphere. And I remember getting stuck a couple of times, too, backtracking and forwardtracking again.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Postby Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:33 pm UTC

This post had objectionable content.

This user's post was replaced when it was decided that absolutely nothing would be preferable. - LTB

Phen

Postby Phen » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:01 pm UTC

At the cost of some xp if I remember right.
Spoiler:
It depends on who you give the necklace.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Postby Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:23 pm UTC

Phen wrote:At the cost of some xp if I remember right.
Spoiler:
It depends on who you give the necklace.

It can also depend on which patch you are using. if you play un-patched, like I did the first time, I don't think you can get to screw around with her.

Also, if you play as a female, can apparently (I haven't tried it myself, just heard rumours) have sex with
Spoiler:
Romero, the guy who lives in the grave yard and shoots zombies for fun/vampire blood to keep himself as a ghoul or whatever they are that drink vampire blood while not turning into a vampire

As far as I got in the game, it didn't explain it, but
Spoiler:
is vampirism a sexually transmited disease? From the way vampires talk about sex, it there seams to be a big no no when it comes to doing it*

*would you believe it, all those sexual innuendo's were mostly unintentional! :mrgreen:

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:00 am UTC

The Voerman girls, Jeanette is the schoolgirl one, Therese is the businesswoman one. There are 3 distinct outcomes to the encounters:

1 - Therese lives (If I recall it's from doing her bidding during the missions and neglecting Jeanette)
2 - Jeanette lives (Doing what Jeanette says does this)
3 - They both live (This one's tricky and I can't remember the requirements, but the speech path to get them to make up doesn't appear in the final encounter with them if you haven't met those requirements I think)

Not sure if you can still get the sex scene with outcome 3, but I wasn't too interested in that. I just loved Jeanette's scripting during the first few encounters.
nightlina wrote:We get stick insects here.. they're pretty cool and stick-like.

Postby Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:06 am UTC

InstinctSage wrote:I just loved Jeanette's scripting during the first few encounters.

Sure, it was her scripting you were looking at :wink:

Pizzashark

Postby Pizzashark » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:58 am UTC

I'm pretty sure that vampires are supposed to be unable to get it on. I seem to remember reading that, but I guess Jeannette was a special case?

Ghouls are, I guess, like... well-treated slaves? Something like that; they're bound to serve the vampire that created them, but have some limited form of free will - they're not under mental domination or anything like that, but they're incapable of acting against their master, even if they want to.
UDSA inspected, FDA approved.
Everyone wants a slice.™

Postby Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:28 am UTC

Some Asshole wrote:I'm pretty sure that vampires are supposed to be unable to get it on. I seem to remember reading that, but I guess Jeannette was a special case?

Ghouls are, I guess, like... well-treated slaves? Something like that; they're bound to serve the vampire that created them, but have some limited form of free will - they're not under mental domination or anything like that, but they're incapable of acting against their master, even if they want to.

From what I remember, in the discussion before (or when the screen fades into blackness) you have sex with her, she says something like "we have to do it different than normal, but it will be so much fun" (I don't remember exactly what she said, but that was the gist of it).

I remember talking with someone in the game (or maybe reading a book in the game?) that said that once a mortal drinks a vampires blood three times, then that mortal (which has become a Ghoul) has an intense emotional bond with the vampire who's blood it drunk. I hope that made enough sense for you.

What it seems is that sex makes vampires... but in an entirely different way than regular humans are used to. Now that's an STI I'd love to catch :wink: :mrgreen:

Return to “Gaming”