The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

What's your favorite rhythm game?

Dance Dance Revolution
7%
Stepmania
5%
In The Groove
1%
Pump It Up
No votes
Beatmania iidx
2%
Pop'n'Music
1%
Guitar Freaks
No votes
dtx mania
No votes
Singstar
No votes
Karaoke Revolution
No votes
Guitar Hero
18%
Frequency/Amplitude
2%
Rock Band
23%
Osu! Tatake! Ouendan!/Elite Beat Agents
7%
Daigassou Band Brothers (大合奏バンド・ブラザーズ).
1%
Boogie
No votes
Donkey Konga/Jungle Beat
1%
Gitaroo Man
No votes
PaRappa the Rapper/Um Jammer Lammy
No votes
Rhythm Tengoku
1%
Rez
2%
Audiosurf
15%
Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure
No votes
rhythm games suck and people who play them are losers and should just do the activities they're modeled after and this is the last time I'll mention it and I'll just see myself out now
8%
You forgot *my* favorite game!
4%

Total votes: 84

csd

Re: The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Postby csd » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:58 am UTC

Taiko Drum Master/ Taiko no Tatsujin?

Well, I have to say StepMania... definitely. Ah lurves it. I'm making a stepfile pack, and my courses are becoming more popular.
Give me a pickle, and make it pink for the festivities!

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:56 pm UTC

Rodan wrote:
Aleril wrote:Wait a second...

Why is Osu! Tatake! Ouendan! even on there? Its just the japanese version of Elite Beat Agents, nothing else, other than it has crappy japanese songs.

Because Osu! Tatake! Ouendan! > Elite Beat Agents.
For one, I'd have to say crappy Japanese songs > crappy American songs. At least they're interesting.
2. The cheerleader guys are just awesome. They're singing, dancing cheerleaders, and yet somehow, the remain the epitome of masculinity.
3. The level where you cheer a guy on so he can become a giant and fight a humongous blue mouse. 'Nuff said.

I guess I just found it so very awesome when they did Jumpin' Jack Flash.

Also, when Rock Band comes out with a song making mode, there would be endless amounts of fun.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:56 pm UTC

"Other" for Parappa the Rapper.

After that is anything with a gimmick controller because I love gimmick controllers. With Rock band, I have like a 8 piece band in my place now (four guitars, drum set, congas, taiko drum, microphone), for better or worse.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:50 am UTC

Endless Mike wrote:"Other" for Parappa the Rapper.

After that is anything with a gimmick controller because I love gimmick controllers. With Rock band, I have like a 8 piece band in my place now (four guitars, drum set, congas, taiko drum, microphone), for better or worse.
I know what you mean, but nothing tops Beatmania IIDX in terms of esoteric wacky music controllers.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:22 am UTC

Narsil wrote:I know what you mean, but nothing tops Beatmania IIDX in terms of esoteric wacky music controllers.

False.

Taehl

Postby Taehl » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:56 am UTC

I prefer StepMania. You can see some videos of my playing here.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:22 pm UTC

Taehl wrote:I prefer StepMania. You can see some videos of my playing here.

I'm fairly sure you achieved the impossible. Congratulations.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:06 pm UTC

semicolon wrote:
Narsil wrote:I know what you mean, but nothing tops Beatmania IIDX in terms of esoteric wacky music controllers.

False.

Yeah, Pop'n controllers are really goofy.

Boatz!

Postby Boatz! » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:29 pm UTC

I'm so glad that Guitar Hero is number one.

Also, I was the 23rd voter for this !!!!!!!!! (I like all things 23, by the way)
Remember, eating mushrooms is illegal on other planets. Especially Jupiter. I dunno what those guys eat. o_O

Hexadecimator

Postby Hexadecimator » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:35 am UTC

*ahem* and somehow Fuzion Frenzy fails to make this list?
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and was widely regarded as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Raldios

Postby Raldios » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:38 am UTC

Considering Harmonix is not making Guitar Hero anymore, and they're are making Rock Band, I'd go RB. Neversoft has ruined the series for me.

csd

Postby csd » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:43 pm UTC

Boatz! wrote:Also, I was the 23rd voter for this !!!!!!!!! (I like all things 23, by the way)

QUICK! Explain how 23 is a StepMania meme!

Spoiler:
m4st4k31's first stepfile pack, K31's Ub3r Mix, featured a remix made in Audacity: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. It was a mixed up version of A. Ever since, people have suggested things like TSUTSUTSUTSUTSUTSUTSUTSUTSUTSUTSUTSUTSUTSUTSUTSUTSUTSUTSUTSUTSUTSUTSUGAMUSH, ZXZXZXZXZXZXZXZXZXZXZXZ, Vertex ^23, etc.

UtterFailures

Postby UtterFailures » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:08 am UTC

I put in a vote for Beatmania IIDX. I wonder how many people outside of Japan have had any real exposure to this game outside of the terrible U.S. release they did on PS2 (though the controller was great).

Guitar Hero is entertaining, but Beatmania's upper threshold of skill is what I admire about the game the most. Even the hardest Guitar Hero songs don't come close to the insanity of IIDX. The challenge of gameplay is what attracts me to rhythm games, so that's how my vote goes.

Oh, and the constant *thuck thuck thuck* of the guitar controller while strumming chords is annoying (thank god for hammer ons and pull offs). However, the clean sounding clicks of a Beatmania controller while playing a complex song... it's music to my ears.

zed0

Postby zed0 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:54 pm UTC

I'm a DDR person, though I voted for stepmania (assuming you have a decent hard mat to use with it, otherwise I'd have to go for DDR)

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:35 am UTC

semicolon wrote:

False.
*opens mouth*

*closes mouth*

Really?
Spoiler:

*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Mesa

Postby Mesa » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:40 am UTC

I love stepmania - it's great at filling up many of the boring summer hours. I would have voted for flash flash revolution if you had it - it's basically a browser based version of stepmania with many more and much more difficult songs, as well as the ability to play against others online and upload files.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:00 pm UTC

rock band, cause it's like guitar hero, with a bass part that isn't crap.. and singing, and drumming!

And, for DDR fans, remember this: you all suck at rock band UNLESS everyone is dancing (yes, even the drummer) it's no fun any other way.
uhhhh fuck.

villadelfia

Postby villadelfia » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:44 pm UTC

I prefer beatmania IIDX because of the challenge (but I like pop'n music for the fun songs).

Also, In The Groove is just stepmania with a price tag. You know that, right?

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:06 am UTC

Yes, but I was afraid an ITG fan would kill me.
Lesson learned: No matter how comprehensive your list, you're going to leave out one game with like 5 fans who will all see said list.
Spoiler:

*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Kawa

Postby Kawa » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:45 am UTC

DDR makes me nostalgic and happy, and Stepmania brings out the Good Memories of collecting stepfiles like no tomorrow. I dig Ouendan, but wish there was a better music selection.
Kawa likes these things:
Spanish Ninja Bodyguard
math, anime, more!
Origami, Florida
New York, and xkcd.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:24 am UTC

There's always ClickBeat.
It's basically the bubble-tapping gameplay of Osu!/EBA but for the PC, with metric fucktons of songs. It unfortunately loses the ball-tracing thing, but (thank god) takes out the wheel spinner. It's a fun game, and I would check it out if you HAVE to have more Osu! action.

Also, I bet it's a thousand times more fun on a tablet PC.
Spoiler:

*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:01 pm UTC

villadelfia wrote:Also, In The Groove is just stepmania with a price tag. You know that, right?
Well, yes, if all you mean to talk about is the engine.

But there's also the songs, the steps, the cabinet, the pads, the background videos, and the look-and-feel, none of which are Stepmania native, and all of which (in my not-so-humble opinion) are miles better than DDR.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

csd

Postby csd » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:28 am UTC

Mesa wrote:I love stepmania - it's great at filling up many of the boring summer hours. I would have voted for flash flash revolution if you had it - it's basically a browser based version of stepmania with many more and much more difficult songs, as well as the ability to play against others online and upload files.

I prefer StepMania (which also supports online play). FFR seems to lag a lot... and what do you mean it has more songs? There must be thousands of songs stepped for StepMania. Do you mean you have more from the start?

... and the songs are more difficult? It'd be easy to make a more difficult song for StepMania.

FFR is still good for people who don't want to download StepMania, though. It's sort of a large preview with a lot of features.

fukiyo

Postby fukiyo » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:55 am UTC

Ooh, that's too many good games to really choose one absolute favorite.

I voted Guitar Freaks because it's really the only rhythm game I feel completely bad-ass playing and has a better song selection than Guitar Hero. Other rhythm games I just feel nerdy and flail-ly. Also, it somehow manages to be harder than Guitar Hero IMO, despite only having three fret buttons instead of five.

But let me compliment a few of the others on the list. Beatmania IIDX is probably second, despite the fact that I know I will never ever be truly good at it. The American version kind of sucked and never really became popular, which is a shame and one of the sole reasons I bought a Japanese PS2, for the 13 (I think?) mixes that are out in Japanland. America needs IIDX arcade machines. :c

Amplitude/Frequency are amazing games for really being so simple. Frequency was better than Amplitude, I thought, if not merely for "Science Genius Girl" and actually playable multiplayer. I really wish I could find myself a copy of Frequency (ebay, probably).

I hated Elite Beat Agents and loved Ouendan, probably for all the wrong reasons. The songs in EBA were just plain bad and somehow the stories seemed a lot less cute and quirky in my native language. Plus, I am in love with Sambomaster and Hirai Ken so that made the second Ouendan awesome. It's mostly novelty, really.

And lastly, DDR! Wish I had more time to play still, and I agree with the earlier statement that the Supernovas were too americanized. The PS2 Supernova was horrible and the unlocking system was painful and tedious. Stellar Master mode my ass. In The Groove needs more songs that don't sound the same, although Anubis and Hardcore of the North are my favorite dance game songs. Stepmania is the same as DDR, but freeeee.

Also, no Para Para Paradise or Taiko Drum Master on the list?

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:22 pm UTC

I never got why it would be that hard to make the beatmania iidx japanese games for American ps2s and then sell them online to a handful of people.

I HAVE MY MONEY HERE KONAMI PLEASE TAKE IT.
Spoiler:

*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

fukiyo

Postby fukiyo » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:18 am UTC

Licensing, maybe?

Either way it's really not like it'd be hard to take one of the existing Beatmania IIDX mixes from Japan and change the "For Sale in Japan Only" to "For Sale in North America Only". Voila, you have a game for the American market. There's almost no translating to be done, it's all in english anyway. Not that they would do that now that Beatmania has more or less officially failed in the US. I mean, I like cheap Beatmania controllers as much as the next person, but seeing the controller/game bundle going for $30 at my local electronics store makes me cry a little on the inside.

Or maybe Konami just doesn't like making money.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:46 am UTC

Then I will continue to *not* give them money and still get the products.
Spoiler:

*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:24 pm UTC

Licensing is almost definitely why. They have to pay the labels/industry/artists/whoever to use their music. If they won't get a return on that layout, they won't bring the game over.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:03 am UTC

I guess I don't see it the same way, because often after listening to the music in the game I want to go out and buy the artists' albums. Which are not sold anywhere in the US.

On the subject of iidx, I've been checking out the bemanistyle forums lately, which are a slight improvement to 2chan. No joke. And they're the biggest iidx community in the English-speaking world. Yeargh.
Spoiler:

*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Armageddon

Postby Armageddon » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:15 am UTC

I'm a huge fan of Guitar Hero. I've been playing it pretty consistently for over 2 years, which makes me probably more biased than this thread should allow. If you care enough, I have a video of me playing GH on YouTube, and I like to think I'm a pretty good player. I've played Gitaroo Man (which I found incredibly addictive as well), but didn't get to finish it. Never got into the DDR scene, and I don't have the funds to get Rock Band right now, so that leaves me with lots and lots of Guitar Hero.

villadelfia

Postby villadelfia » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:44 am UTC

fukiyo wrote:...snip

But let me compliment a few of the others on the list. Beatmania IIDX is probably second, despite the fact that I know I will never ever be truly good at it. The American version kind of sucked and never really became popular, which is a shame and one of the sole reasons I bought a Japanese PS2, for the 13 (I think?) mixes that are out in Japanland. America needs IIDX arcade machines. :c

snip...

11 actually, because 1 and 2 never had a separate release. Most of the song were in 3 though.

Also, Europe needs IIDX arcades more than America... we have none in entire Europe, America at least has SOME cabs.

KingAl

Postby KingAl » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:20 am UTC

Audiosurf. You can download the beta demo over at the IGF Audience Award page. Reads any song you throw at it, turns it into a level; it's looking pretty awesome. Irritatingly, you can only try one song in the demo, and it has to be over something like 2:30 - though the first restriction can be doubled (halved?) by refusing to update until after your first try, giving you two 'turns'.

Kawa

Postby Kawa » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:55 pm UTC

Is anyone else here looking forward to that new PSP game Patapon? I mean, tribal rhythms and strategy RPG elements in my rhythm game? Yes please!
Kawa likes these things:
Spanish Ninja Bodyguard
math, anime, more!
Origami, Florida
New York, and xkcd.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:59 pm UTC

KingAl wrote:Audiosurf. You can download the beta demo over at the IGF Audience Award page. Reads any song you throw at it, turns it into a level; it's looking pretty awesome. Irritatingly, you can only try one song in the demo, and it has to be over something like 2:30 - though the first restriction can be doubled (halved?) by refusing to update until after your first try, giving you two 'turns'.

Tried it out; it's alright I guess, but it really just feels like a puzzle game with music. I didn't get the feeling that the blocks were actually going to anything in the song.
31/M/taken/US

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:35 am UTC

You forgot Donkey Konga. Awesome game that.

KingAl

Postby KingAl » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:05 am UTC

rrwoods wrote:Tried it out; it's alright I guess, but it really just feels like a puzzle game with music. I didn't get the feeling that the blocks were actually going to anything in the song.

The 'mono' mode seems to be more in line with the traditional rhythm game; I share your skepticism for the match-3 style main mode. Aside from that, it's possible you've chosen a song which it just doesn't happen to work with very well - I very much doubt the technology in infallible :) . Have a look at some of the ones on youtube.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:47 pm UTC

KingAl wrote:The 'mono' mode seems to be more in line with the traditional rhythm game; I share your skepticism for the match-3 style main mode. Aside from that, it's possible you've chosen a song which it just doesn't happen to work with very well - I very much doubt the technology in infallible :) . Have a look at some of the ones on youtube.

That's possible I suppose, but I chose "Final Fantasy X - White Skies (Club Mix)" which I'm guessing is perfect for what this game wants to do. It's a shame the demo only lets you try one game's worth. I'll have to look up some youtube videos.
31/M/taken/US

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:54 pm UTC

Note that this won't actually find the best game, just the one which has the most players (among the forum community). From that it should be fairly obvious that games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band would be up there, since they're among the only ones from that list that I've actually heard of.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:01 pm UTC

I suppose I'll have to remember to screenshot this when I get home -- but am I really the only person who sees the layout of this poll break because of the long "they all suck" option?
31/M/taken/US

KingAl

Postby KingAl » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:15 am UTC

Robin S wrote:Note that this won't actually find the best game, just the one which has the most players (among the forum community).

I don't think anyone is under the delusion that we can ever objectively decide a 'best' one :)

Return to “Gaming”