The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

What's your favorite rhythm game?

Dance Dance Revolution
6
7%
Stepmania
4
5%
In The Groove
1
1%
Pump It Up
0
No votes
Beatmania iidx
2
2%
Pop'n'Music
1
1%
Guitar Freaks
0
No votes
dtx mania
0
No votes
Singstar
0
No votes
Karaoke Revolution
0
No votes
Guitar Hero
15
18%
Frequency/Amplitude
2
2%
Rock Band
19
23%
Osu! Tatake! Ouendan!/Elite Beat Agents
6
7%
Daigassou Band Brothers (大合奏バンド・ブラザーズ).
1
1%
Boogie
0
No votes
Donkey Konga/Jungle Beat
1
1%
Gitaroo Man
0
No votes
PaRappa the Rapper/Um Jammer Lammy
0
No votes
Rhythm Tengoku
1
1%
Rez
2
2%
Audiosurf
13
15%
Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure
0
No votes
rhythm games suck and people who play them are losers and should just do the activities they're modeled after and this is the last time I'll mention it and I'll just see myself out now
7
8%
You forgot *my* favorite game!
3
4%
 
Total votes: 84

Robin S
Posts: 3579
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:02 pm UTC
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Postby Robin S » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:08 pm UTC

Fair enough, but even if there was one game that many people here might find more enjoyable, it would be unlikely to top the poll unless it also happened to be one of the widely-known ones.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

StarLite
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:09 am UTC

Re: The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Postby StarLite » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:15 pm UTC

Audiosurf definately is the best :D

User avatar
Tei
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:58 pm UTC

Re: The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Postby Tei » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:18 pm UTC

StarLite wrote:Audiosurf definately is the best :D


Agreed. And I don't even like music.

User avatar
achromat
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:34 pm UTC

Re: The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Postby achromat » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:20 pm UTC

Itg 1 and 2 are my favorites but I enjoy a good deal of them. DDR, Stepmania(when im feeling lazy), Rock Band, Guitar Hero, iidx. Althought I never liked frequency or amplitude. :/
Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted.

User avatar
KingAl
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 3:50 am UTC

Re: The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Postby KingAl » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:56 am UTC

Well, Audiosurf's up for preorder on Steam - 10 bucks Australian, which I can't complain about. Looks like they're trying to ride the wave of Portal fanboyism by packaging it with the Orange Box soundtrack, and more specifically "Still Alive".

cORilliEN
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:58 pm UTC

Re: The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Postby cORilliEN » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:11 pm UTC

Dobblesworth wrote:You forgot Donkey Konga. Awesome game that.


Donkey Konga FTW!!!

User avatar
Ansob.
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:33 pm UTC
Location: Colchester, Essex, United Kingdom of Great Britain.

Re: The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Postby Ansob. » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:12 pm UTC

The poll wrote:Osu! Tatake! Ouendan!
Elite Beat Agents


...are the exact same game.

Anyway, Audiosurf looks interesting, to say the least. I might buy it for the hell of it, since it's that cheap.

I voted Guitar Hero, since it's the only one I've actually ever wanted to play.
Laughter is the natural human reaction to everything.

Dark Ragnarok
Posts: 1406
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 9:12 pm UTC

Re: The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:12 pm UTC

Ah, just to sorta show off my Stepmania Skills:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=dI1lWdAwMjQ

User avatar
Aleril
Le Rail
Posts: 2279
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:06 pm UTC
Location: Don't make me slap you.

Re: The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Postby Aleril » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:01 pm UTC

In my younger and more vulnerable years, DDR was the main staple of my gaming curriculum (especially since I was able to impress some of my family members) So although it isnt my favorite rhythm game, it is a part of my childhood memories.
Image

Mo0man
Posts: 1258
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:46 am UTC
Location: 2 weeks ago

Re: The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Postby Mo0man » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:45 am UTC

I feel the need to interject. Patapon is the greatest game ever, and you need to put it into the poll right now. And yes, I'm aware that it'll reset all the votes. IT'S WORTH IT
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Brinny
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:15 am UTC

Re: The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Postby Brinny » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:53 am UTC

Stepmania is a very, very well implemented, open-source version of DDR. In fact, it's so good that I'd say it's better than DDR. But that aside, I started getting into Audiosurf recently, and it's awesome...

User avatar
Morphing Ball
Posts: 435
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:10 am UTC
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Postby Morphing Ball » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:57 am UTC

I'm voting "other" because Audiosurf is the shit.

User avatar
Peregrin
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:58 am UTC

Re: The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Postby Peregrin » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:05 am UTC

Elite Beat Agents. At first I thought I'd put Guitar Hero, because I played it for a marginally longer period of time. Then I remembered that EBA had fewer songs, meaning that each EBA song gave me several more hours of enjoyment than each Guitar Hero song. Quality over quantity. Plus the dancing-secret-agent theme is just genius. They actually do the YMCA dance, too. Priceless.

User avatar
Draverd
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:32 am UTC

Re: The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Postby Draverd » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:39 am UTC

I like Step mania the most out of all the others mainly because of how hard it is. DDR has only 4th and 8th steps. Stepmania has 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, 32nd, and 64th steps. It is actually challenging unlike DDR. I also like it because you can make your own stages, and because you can choose the songs/stages you want to download from online. Instead of only having a few songs that you like. The other thing that I like about it is that it has been helping me increase my reaction time. Right now it is about .14 , or was the last time I checked. It could be higher. I recommend this game

Here is a video of me playing a song on there http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZrbWMzMluY

and here is a video of someone playing through the fire and flames on there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8wtRWKRwtk
"Men invent new ideals because they dare not attempt old ideals. They look forward with enthusiasm, because they are afraid to look back."

"Progress is a comparative of which we have not settled the superlative." G.K. Chesterton

Xenon Screams
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:08 pm UTC
Location: College Park, MD & Providence, RI
Contact:

Re: The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Postby Xenon Screams » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:38 am UTC

DDR has more than 4ths and 8ths. It's pretty full of 16ths, although not as much as ITG, and gallops are usually 12ths or 16ths. If you're looking for difficult charts but still a solid game, that's what ITG has. You can also play custom songs in ITG (on some cabs), and you can download charts from teh internetz. Stepmania is boring because you use your fingers. And because your scores don't count for anything, because nobody cares about Stepmania. And because the default timing window is way too easy.

My favorite Rhythm Game is actually Dance Maniax. It looks like the easiest game in the world, but there's actually a hidden timing window in it. It doesn't tell you, but you're being scored by your invisible perfects and greats.

I play DDR competitively, so I have to be biased towards it. I guess the same goes for ITG. They have a lot of competitive potential. ITG is also fun because I like to make customs to Pokemon songs or Moskau and play them on a Dedi.

Drummania is amazing, IIDX is addictive but SO DIFFICULT, Pop'n is straight-up fun (and also difficult), Taiko is easy but amazing. I could never get into Guitar Hero or anything like that too much because there is no timing window, and that bothers me.
This is the last night in my body.

User avatar
poleboy
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:12 pm UTC

Re: The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Postby poleboy » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:17 am UTC

I don't see Donkey Konga or Gitaroo Man, which I think is a shame.

EvanED
Posts: 4331
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:28 am UTC
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Postby EvanED » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:53 pm UTC

Xenon Screams wrote:Stepmania is boring because you use your fingers. And because your scores don't count for anything, because nobody cares about Stepmania. And because the default timing window is way too easy.
You can actually hook up a pad to your computer, you know. The scores thing only matters if you care about that; it's entirely possible to not care and just play because it's fun, to see your own improvement, or even as a workout. And it has the benefit of being able to add your own songs.

User avatar
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...
Posts: 8337
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:57 pm UTC
Location: Soviet Canuckistan

Re: The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Postby Jessica » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:00 pm UTC

Agreed that audiosurf is so fantastic that it should have been on that poll even though it didn't exist yet at it's creation.

That's how awesome it is.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Xenon Screams
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:08 pm UTC
Location: College Park, MD & Providence, RI
Contact:

Re: The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Postby Xenon Screams » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:52 am UTC

EvanED wrote:
Xenon Screams wrote:Stepmania is boring because you use your fingers. And because your scores don't count for anything, because nobody cares about Stepmania. And because the default timing window is way too easy.
You can actually hook up a pad to your computer, you know. The scores thing only matters if you care about that; it's entirely possible to not care and just play because it's fun, to see your own improvement, or even as a workout. And it has the benefit of being able to add your own songs.


But home pad simply doesn't and won't ever have the feel of arcade. Ever. No matter what happens. It's just not the same. I hate home version DDR just as much as I hate Stepmania. You can add whatever songs you want to your USB, and play them on an ITG cab. It feels a million times better, and you don't have to pay for a home USB pad setup.

User avatar
Sulla158
Posts: 139
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:12 am UTC
Location: KY, USA

Re: The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Postby Sulla158 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:18 am UTC

Has anybody else tried audiosurf? I haven't really played the other games on this list, but I liked it pretty well, especially for the $10 i spent on it.
The fact is, knife fights are a big part of being an adult. - The Slant

User avatar
Narsil
Ask me about my junk!
Posts: 2995
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:59 pm UTC
Location: Columbus.

Re: The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Postby Narsil » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:42 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:Agreed that audiosurf is so fantastic that it should have been on that poll even though it didn't exist yet at it's creation.

That's how awesome it is.
Ask and ye shall receive.

And if you think of anything I missed, just go kindly sod off.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

User avatar
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...
Posts: 8337
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:57 pm UTC
Location: Soviet Canuckistan

Re: The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Postby Jessica » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:25 pm UTC

*hug*
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

EvanED
Posts: 4331
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:28 am UTC
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Postby EvanED » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:30 pm UTC

Xenon Screams wrote:But home pad simply doesn't and won't ever have the feel of arcade. Ever. No matter what happens. It's just not the same. I hate home version DDR just as much as I hate Stepmania. You can add whatever songs you want to your USB, and play them on an ITG cab. It feels a million times better, and you don't have to pay for a home USB pad setup.
Arcade is better, but unless you're richer than I, you can't just go down to the arcade and play for an hour every couple days.

(Okay, so it's not that expensive, but I still much prefer the ability to do it in the privacy of my home. And that easily wins out of the benefits of the arcade cabinet.)

Xenon Screams
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:08 pm UTC
Location: College Park, MD & Providence, RI
Contact:

Re: The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Postby Xenon Screams » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:28 am UTC

EvanED wrote:
Xenon Screams wrote:But home pad simply doesn't and won't ever have the feel of arcade. Ever. No matter what happens. It's just not the same. I hate home version DDR just as much as I hate Stepmania. You can add whatever songs you want to your USB, and play them on an ITG cab. It feels a million times better, and you don't have to pay for a home USB pad setup.
Arcade is better, but unless you're richer than I, you can't just go down to the arcade and play for an hour every couple days.

(Okay, so it's not that expensive, but I still much prefer the ability to do it in the privacy of my home. And that easily wins out of the benefits of the arcade cabinet.)


See I disagree. I'd so much rather spend the $5 or so per arcade visit to get the tighter default window, scores that matter, and the really awesome feel of an arcade cabinet than play at home. Also, it can be totally social if you don't play with mall rats. There are a lot of gross people who play DDR, but at the same time I've met some of the most amazing people at better arcades... Some of my best friends, even the guy I'm going out with right now. It sounds lame but the game can draw some really amazing people, and these are the people I usually play with.

SMO is kind of fun because it's partially social (online, at least) and I like social gaming, but at the same time, people can get REALLY stuck up about keyboard scores and nobody really cares about those. Actually it's obnoxious to get stuck up about scores in any rhythm game, because nobody in life really cares at all. I like playing competitively because I like the feeling of improving and I like playing against people... But there's no reason to be obnoxious about it.

I'm totally rambling haha.

If anyone ever gets the chance to play Drummania, try it. Seriously, take a digital drum set, put a screen in front of it, and make it tell you what to do and you have Drummania. It is the closest thing to actually doing what you're imitating in a rhythm game. It has an amazing feel. You can session it with Guitar Freaks so you can play together which is awesome too.
This is the last night in my body.

User avatar
Dr.Robert
Posts: 232
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:42 pm UTC

Re: The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Postby Dr.Robert » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:13 am UTC

DDR and Guitar Hero II.

I played DDR/ITG for about 2 years of my life. It really was a great workout and a blast to play.

Then I discovered Guitar Hero II, a game I continue to play today. The reason: Custom charts and songs. Since I make my own charts to the songs of my choosing, I get the satisfaction of both playing and creating something fun. Take a look at this chart I made, for example. I've become quite good at guitar hero now, actually. Most of the customs songs I make are very difficult, but you can find them all on scorehero if your up for the challenge.

Stepmania also offered a similar pleasure to me, and I still play that on occasion. I'm out of shape when it comes to DDR, though.

User avatar
Draverd
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:32 am UTC

Re: The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Postby Draverd » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:42 am UTC

DDR has more than 4ths and 8ths. It's pretty full of 16ths, although not as much as ITG, and gallops are usually 12ths or 16ths. If you're looking for difficult charts but still a solid game, that's what ITG has. You can also play custom songs in ITG (on some cabs), and you can download charts from teh internetz. Stepmania is boring because you use your fingers. And because your scores don't count for anything, because nobody cares about Stepmania. And because the default timing window is way too easy.


Have you even played Stepmania!? Yes you can use your hands if you want. But, that does not mean it is easy. Every person who I have shown this game to has said something like, " That is way to easy because you use your hands." Yet, when I pick a fairly simple song for them to play they have all failed, or got a low grade "D." I have played the arcade games with my feet and they are a whole lot easier than Stepmania. Well at least most songs on Stepmania, there are some simple songs in Stepmania with the same difficulty as some of the arcades. I just think that the arcade machines are way too easy compared to some of the more difficult songs on Stepmania. Here is a video I found to one of the songs that I have played.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWCGNnqQ56A

Sorry they have the time clap on and that annoying voice -_-

Now I am not saying that DDR or ITG are not good games because they are for some people. I still enjoy playing the arcade games XD All that I am saying is that in my opinion Stepmania is a lot more challenging with the right songs.
"Men invent new ideals because they dare not attempt old ideals. They look forward with enthusiasm, because they are afraid to look back."

"Progress is a comparative of which we have not settled the superlative." G.K. Chesterton

Xenon Screams
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:08 pm UTC
Location: College Park, MD & Providence, RI
Contact:

Re: The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Postby Xenon Screams » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:50 am UTC

Draverd wrote:
DDR has more than 4ths and 8ths. It's pretty full of 16ths, although not as much as ITG, and gallops are usually 12ths or 16ths. If you're looking for difficult charts but still a solid game, that's what ITG has. You can also play custom songs in ITG (on some cabs), and you can download charts from teh internetz. Stepmania is boring because you use your fingers. And because your scores don't count for anything, because nobody cares about Stepmania. And because the default timing window is way too easy.


Have you even played Stepmania!? Yes you can use your hands if you want. But, that does not mean it is easy. Every person who I have shown this game to has said something like, " That is way to easy because you use your hands." Yet, when I pick a fairly simple song for them to play they have all failed, or got a low grade "D." I have played the arcade games with my feet and they are a whole lot easier than Stepmania. Well at least most songs on Stepmania, there are some simple songs in Stepmania with the same difficulty as some of the arcades. I just think that the arcade machines are way too easy compared to some of the more difficult songs on Stepmania. Here is a video I found to one of the songs that I have played.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWCGNnqQ56A

Sorry they have the time clap on and that annoying voice -_-

Now I am not saying that DDR or ITG are not good games because they are for some people. I still enjoy playing the arcade games XD All that I am saying is that in my opinion Stepmania is a lot more challenging with the right songs.


But you seem to fail to understand that the entire point of Stepmania is undermined by customs on ITG. You can play any song you want on an ITG cab with R21 or an equivalent. Any song in the world that is available for Stepmania is available for ITG, only on an arcade cab instead of crappy home pads or with fingers. I am pretty sure I can pass any song by spamming with my fingers on judgement four... But whatever. Have you ever seen anyone play a custom chart that's a 14 on an ITG cab? It's a lot more impressive.

Although, to be honest, anything over a 12 isn't really fun. There's a point where charts just get stupid. ITG 11s are fun, and some ITG 12s are fun. Pretty much anything over a 12 in that game is horrid, and the same goes for charts that are 13+ on the internet. They all suck and are horribly written. As someone who writes charts, it bothers me a lot when a spam 14 chart gets a lot of attention just because it's difficult.

My favorite chart ever was I Can Walk On Water, I Can Fly which was only an 11. I played it on an ITG cab and it was SO MUCH FUN. <3
This is the last night in my body.

User avatar
Narsil
Ask me about my junk!
Posts: 2995
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:59 pm UTC
Location: Columbus.

Re: The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Postby Narsil » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:31 am UTC

Xenon Screams wrote:If anyone ever gets the chance to play Drummania, try it. Seriously, take a digital drum set, put a screen in front of it, and make it tell you what to do and you have Drummania. It is the closest thing to actually doing what you're imitating in a rhythm game. It has an amazing feel. You can session it with Guitar Freaks so you can play together which is awesome too.


I actually have an option for that. dtxmania is to drummania what stepmania is to DDR. I would like to buy a drum kit and hook that up when I can part with the money. I'm wondering if a Rock Band or GHIV drum set can be used with it.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

DYRE
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:49 pm UTC

Re: The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Postby DYRE » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:13 am UTC

Narsil wrote:I'm wondering if a Rock Band or GHIV drum set can be used with it.

Yes.
Rock Band kits can easily be used with DTXMania.
Although, you'll have to have two drums on autoplay, or map multiple drums to one pad.

Xenon Screams
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:08 pm UTC
Location: College Park, MD & Providence, RI
Contact:

Re: The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Postby Xenon Screams » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:11 am UTC

Narsil wrote:
Xenon Screams wrote:If anyone ever gets the chance to play Drummania, try it. Seriously, take a digital drum set, put a screen in front of it, and make it tell you what to do and you have Drummania. It is the closest thing to actually doing what you're imitating in a rhythm game. It has an amazing feel. You can session it with Guitar Freaks so you can play together which is awesome too.


I actually have an option for that. dtxmania is to drummania what stepmania is to DDR. I would like to buy a drum kit and hook that up when I can part with the money. I'm wondering if a Rock Band or GHIV drum set can be used with it.


I definitely had that a while ago, and I used to play it with my keyboard, but I never really had any interest in playing with my fingers so I never did anything else with it. I was way too lazy to hook up a drum kit. If I had one, I'd totally do it, since Drummania is really hard to access.

I live relatively close (like an hour and a half) to Tokyo Game Action though, which is an arcade that has a bunch of these games on free play for $26, all day... Which is really amazing. So when I go there I get to play all of the games that we don't have a lot of access to in the US. It's really fun.
This is the last night in my body.

User avatar
Clumpy
Posts: 1883
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:48 am UTC
Contact:

Re: The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Postby Clumpy » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:12 am UTC

Well, I'm the proud first vote for Rhythm Tengoku! The only game I ever imported - well worth it. I might get a DS just for the sequel and American release.

EvanED
Posts: 4331
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:28 am UTC
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Postby EvanED » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:02 pm UTC

Draverd wrote:I just think that the arcade machines are way too easy compared to some of the more difficult songs on Stepmania. Here is a video I found to one of the songs that I have played.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWCGNnqQ56A

...

All that I am saying is that in my opinion Stepmania is a lot more challenging with the right songs.
To be fair, this is as much a consequence of being able to add new songs to it than anything. I can almost guarantee that, for any given song, playing it on the keyboard would be easier than "dancing" it on a pad.

(That said, yes, the fact that it's keyboard doesn't make it easier than using a pad, it's just a very, very different kind of hard.)

Xenon Screams wrote:But you seem to fail to understand that the entire point of Stepmania is undermined by customs on ITG.
I can't put an ITG cabinet in my room and play in whenever. I can't practically use an arcade ITG cabinet as a workout. ITG isn't open source, so I can't modify it to do whatever. I probably can't customize the theme.

As much of Stepmania as you care about may be undermined by customs on ITG, but that's far from the "entire point."

Edit: From Wikipedia: Custom songs are limited to 2 minutes (a severe restriction which puts a huge strike against ITG in my opinion; Stepmania has no such limitation). Even if you have an unpatched machine and use the Ogg Length Patch it mentions, you're still limited to a 5 MB song. I've got at least 10 in my collection that are bigger than that. I suppose you could probably cut down the quality quite a bit and not lose much, but still. Even if you do that, Wikipedia comments on a social limit of 3 minutes, which is still quite strict.

I would call ITG's support for custom songs crap for that "feature" alone.

Xenon Screams
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:08 pm UTC
Location: College Park, MD & Providence, RI
Contact:

Re: The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Postby Xenon Screams » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:47 pm UTC

EvanED wrote:ITG isn't open source, so I can't modify it to do whatever. I probably can't customize the theme.


ITG is hack-able. You can customize the theme and modify it, as long as you know how and the arcade is alright with it.

EvanED wrote:Edit: From Wikipedia: Custom songs are limited to 2 minutes (a severe restriction which puts a huge strike against ITG in my opinion; Stepmania has no such limitation). Even if you have an unpatched machine and use the Ogg Length Patch it mentions, you're still limited to a 5 MB song.


It really shouldn't be a problem limiting a song to 5 megs, and ogg length patches are really easy to use... You just drag the file and there, it's time-stamped. Just keep it to .ogg and .sm and it really shouldn't exceed that limit. Also, the "social limit" doesn't really exist. It depends on where you play. I think that 8-minute stamina songs aren't that cool to watch and should probably only be played when you're not with other people, but most of my charts are about 4:30 in length and I've never heard anybody complain, ever.
This is the last night in my body.

User avatar
rrwoods
Posts: 1509
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:57 pm UTC
Location: US

Re: The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Postby rrwoods » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:20 pm UTC

Personally when I write charts I try to keep it as close to two minutes as I can. It's an interesting exercise in creativity, deciding which parts of a song you're willing to throw away, and cutting a song is no small feat. As an example, getting The Offspring's "Hammerhead" down to two minutes was a real challenge; you could go a zillion different ways with that and the cut I chose I don't purport to be the best one at all, just the one I liked.

I love playing customs on an ITG cabinet. Definitely beats playing customs at home. Even with a Cobalt Flux it's just not the same.

EDIT: Ew poll reset... I guess that's what happens when you change poll choices?
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Xenon Screams
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:08 pm UTC
Location: College Park, MD & Providence, RI
Contact:

Re: The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Postby Xenon Screams » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:15 am UTC

rrwoods wrote:Personally when I write charts I try to keep it as close to two minutes as I can. It's an interesting exercise in creativity, deciding which parts of a song you're willing to throw away, and cutting a song is no small feat. As an example, getting The Offspring's "Hammerhead" down to two minutes was a real challenge; you could go a zillion different ways with that and the cut I chose I don't purport to be the best one at all, just the one I liked.

I love playing customs on an ITG cabinet. Definitely beats playing customs at home. Even with a Cobalt Flux it's just not the same.

EDIT: Ew poll reset... I guess that's what happens when you change poll choices?


I can't cut songs. Want to cut some songs for me? :D

Also, you're from Maryland? I have no sense of direction and don't know what parts of Maryland are central, but I'mma be at UMD College Park next year. Playing the Dedi in Terp Zone. Good shit.
This is the last night in my body.

User avatar
austin42
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:53 pm UTC
Location: Traversing intertubes

Re: The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Postby austin42 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:30 am UTC

If I had the right cords and a step pad, I'd be playing DDR as much as I could. Sadly, I don't have the money to purchase said pads. Or cords. However, I play stepmania a lot. In fact, I'm about to stop using Firefox and go onto stepmania right now.
Image Image
The result of nerd camp.

User avatar
Smok3y
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:08 am UTC
Location: United States of Synthesizers
Contact:

Re: The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Postby Smok3y » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:16 am UTC

You made me choose 2 out of FreQuency, Stepmania and Audiosurf. I feel so dirty. I choose FreQ and SM though. (I still love you too, Audiosurf)

There's always new songs to play in Stepmania, and FreQuency will forever hold a special place in my heart.

I should note though, I haven't played Rock Band yet.

User avatar
Affableprechaun
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:23 am UTC
Location: Gainesville, Florida, USA
Contact:

Re: The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Postby Affableprechaun » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:02 pm UTC

Audiosurf, thank you. The fact that it is $10 regular off steam and occasionally as low as $2 doesn't hurt its cause at all.

Some of the other games on this list being $200 probably doesn't help them.

User avatar
Sonic132
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:10 pm UTC

Re: The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Postby Sonic132 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:51 pm UTC

Image

User avatar
LuNatic
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:21 am UTC
Location: The land of Aus

Re: The Best Rhythm Game Ever

Postby LuNatic » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:54 pm UTC

Since this has been bumped... Auidosurf!
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.


Return to “Gaming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests