EVE Online

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

mvv

Re: EVE Online

Postby mvv » Mon May 04, 2009 2:03 pm UTC

OK , i'll join then. Have some experience as guildmaster in other games , so i'd better try-out this one and see if i can make the magic happens again :)

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Tue May 05, 2009 11:01 am UTC

Need skills to do it here.
Literally.
Omni.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Tue May 05, 2009 1:05 pm UTC

Also, there isn't a xkcd corporation, if that is what you are thinking. We have a shared channel that we chat in, but that's it.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

mvv

Postby mvv » Tue May 05, 2009 3:02 pm UTC

been trying it ... it's far more complicated to play than any other online game i've ever played. But 20€/month for playing seems to me like armed assault , so i'll pass.

Price aside , is spectacular, awesome , etc...

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Tue May 05, 2009 3:08 pm UTC

$15/month is roughly two or three hours of work per month at any dead-end fast food job.

Even if you're only working 20 hours a week, you're still keeping 96% of your pay. MMOs are cheap.

Don't get me wrong, I understand being broke. I more or less am, too. But don't make it out like they're expensive.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue May 05, 2009 4:30 pm UTC

Yeah, to second on Xaddak's point, MMO's are far cheaper then buying console games.

But dude, just decide what's important enough to you to spend money on. I have a total of 5, 15$/month subscriptions to the games I play, and I'm fine with that.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Thu May 07, 2009 1:07 am UTC

I play a text based MuD that costs 50 a month. I have one account, my parents both have two.
I paid for a lifetime subscription to a game, 600$.

EvE is cheap. It's two movies and no popcorn, but entertains for 6x as long a month. At least.

Unrelated, I saw this on the eve fora.
Caldari:

Huge corporations,
Dwarfed by military might,
Ugly spaceships though.

Minmatar:
Tribal connections,
And the fear of the slavehounds,
Fashion Lego ships.

Amarr:
Touched by the Divine,
Dwelling in cloistered shadows,
Titan is p*nis.

Gallente:
Searching for freedom,
Upholding our liberties,
They smell of garlic.
Omni.

tron1point0

Postby tron1point0 » Thu May 07, 2009 1:55 am UTC

Sorry, but the Avatar is by far the least like a penis out of the ships that look like a penis. I'd like to point your attention to the Thorax/Phobos/Deimos. Extra points to the Phobos because in classic graphics it was pink.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Thu May 07, 2009 2:20 am UTC

tron1point0 wrote:Sorry, but the Avatar is by far the least like a penis out of the ships that look like a penis. I'd like to point your attention to the Thorax/Phobos/Deimos. Extra points to the Phobos because in classic graphics it was pink.

I'm sorry, but... do we need to get pictures? The Thorax isn't even symmetrical, let alone penis-shaped other than it's vaguely cylindrical shape, which can then be applied to damn near anything. Pencil? PENIS! Washington Monument? PENIS! My finger? PENIS! Screwdriver? PENIS! I don't think that just being kinda sort maybe penis-shaped if you squint your eyes, tilt your head, take LSD, and have a really distorted image of what a penis looks like makes the most penis looking ship.

That said, I think that the Avatar takes the cake for the Most Penis-Like Ship award. Just like the Amarr, always compensating for SOMETHING...

And besides, it is gold. Maybe it is a tribute to Goldmember.

-X

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu May 07, 2009 2:43 am UTC

My favorite eve description is the line for gallente:

paraphrased from Eve wrote:"The gallente are descended from the original french colonists, but any similarities end there. They are freedom loving..."
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Thu May 07, 2009 7:06 am UTC

A thorax, viewed from under the ship? Very, very penis-like. From top/other angles? Not so much. Also, Geddon.
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

tron1point0

Postby tron1point0 » Thu May 07, 2009 8:45 am UTC

Knowing the Gallente, they probably make little models of the ships and do unspeakable things with them...

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Thu May 14, 2009 6:00 pm UTC

Xaddak wrote:That said, I think that the Avatar takes the cake for the Most Penis-Like Ship award. Just like the Amarr, always compensating for SOMETHING...

Nah, most penis-like ship has to be something else. Thorax is right up there.
The Avatar, while phallic, resembles a buttplug more than a penis.
(largish images)
http://i44.tinypic.com/v7gi1x.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/10ntl5y.jpg
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Thu May 14, 2009 6:57 pm UTC

If you don't mind, I'm going to go ahead and NOT click on those. Ever.

-X

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Fri May 15, 2009 9:12 am UTC

Xaddak wrote:If you don't mind, I'm going to go ahead and NOT click on those. Ever.

They're screencaps of the Avatar's preview window. That's all. I only linked them because they're 1440x900, which is a bit big to include directly on the fora.

If you don't trust me: look up the Avatar in game, get the preview window running, and then look at it from the top and the side and tell me it doesn't look like a buttplug.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri May 15, 2009 10:59 am UTC

Okay.

It doesn't look like a buttplug. It's got one large end and then it tapers greatly. That's not really how most plugs are designed, as if nothing else, they're designed with a ring or flattened bit at the end so as to make sure it doesn't get lost and can be recovered.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jasth

Postby Jasth » Tue May 19, 2009 6:54 am UTC

Not to, um, interrupt this fascinating phallic ship design discussion, but at the risk of being irritating for having not read this whole thread, is there an XKCD corp out there? I've been looking for a reason to come back to EVE, and this might just be enough!

tron1point0

Postby tron1point0 » Tue May 19, 2009 7:03 am UTC

There's the channel...

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Tue May 19, 2009 12:22 pm UTC

Yes, there is the channel.

As for a corp, join the one that Izawwlgood and I are in. It's pretty nice. I'm Xaddak in game-as well, he is Riame. Feel free to drop either/both of us a line.

-X

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue May 19, 2009 4:23 pm UTC

Jasth wrote:Not to, um, interrupt this fascinating phallic ship design discussion, but at the risk of being irritating for having not read this whole thread, is there an XKCD corp out there? I've been looking for a reason to come back to EVE, and this might just be enough!
Oh, god.. anything to interrupt the discussion.

As they said, there's a channel, but no real corp. You could join one of the ones that members are in though.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jasth

Postby Jasth » Tue May 19, 2009 8:13 pm UTC

Noted, and thanks. If I come back to the game I'll give you guys a shout.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Wed May 20, 2009 1:41 pm UTC

I'm about ready to fly an Ishtar. Whee!

Now I just need the monies to afford one... hooray more ratting!

-X

tron1point0

Postby tron1point0 » Thu May 21, 2009 3:46 am UTC

Do some l4s. With decent skills, you can use a drake and make about 100m per day.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu May 21, 2009 4:46 am UTC

100m a day? Like, running for 8 hrs a day?

A drake will take 30-45 minutes to finish an L4, if it's very very good, and a single L4 will only net you 15-20m.

So... lets see some numbers dude.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Thu May 21, 2009 4:52 am UTC

Okay...

1) I'm about ready to fly an Ishtar. Gallente, not Caldari. I actually can fly and have flown a Drake, but that's coincidental and due to the fact that I started as a Caldari pilot before transitioning. =P
2) My skills are much more bent toward armor tanking, not shield tanking.
3) My skills are much more bent toward drones and hybrids than missiles.
4) I have a Dominix for doing missions/ratting.
5) I'm in 0.0 in Stain, so speaking of ratting... I'll do that instead.
6) I've done more missions for Sansha's Nation than I care to remember and I never made anything like 100M per day because apparently missions out in 0.0 are tougher, so despite having a dual-rep Dominix with near max armor tank skills, I can barely solo L4s out there at any significant rate. My second L4 was Worlds Collide and took me over 12 hours to complete - I had to warp in, kill maybe two ships, and warp out, then trundle through the entire goddamn 70km stretch again.

So, yeah, most of that you couldn't possibly know, but now you do. =D Sorry if I came across kind of harsh, I was aiming for more "matter of fact".

Edit:

Izawwlgood wrote:100m a day? Like, running for 8 hrs a day?

A drake will take 30-45 minutes to finish an L4, if it's very very good, and a single L4 will only net you 15-20m.

So... lets see some numbers dude.

Er...

100M / 5 = 20M.

Even if it takes 1 hour to do a L4, that's only 5 hours. The other three are bonus time. Or, with 15M, that's 6.66 hours, still giving you an hour and twenty minutes extra.

-X

tron1point0

Postby tron1point0 » Thu May 21, 2009 7:40 am UTC

Here's a domi fit for you:
Spoiler:
[Dominix, New Setup 2]
Large Armor Repairer II
Armor EM Hardener II
Armor EM Hardener II
Armor Thermic Hardener II
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II

100MN Afterburner II
Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II

Dual 250mm Railgun II, Lead Charge L

Capacitor Control Circuit I
[empty rig slot]

Ogre II x5
Garde II x5
It's cap-stable, tanks 563 sansha, and does 714 dps. You should be able to level a significant portion of the rats before you even get to your tank.

And an ishtar fit (this time against serpentis):
Spoiler:
[Ishtar, New Setup 2]
Medium Armor Repairer II
Armor Kinetic Hardener II

Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II
10MN Afterburner II

200mm Railgun II, Antimatter Charge M
[empty high slot]
[empty high slot]

Hybrid Burst Aerator I
Hybrid Collision Accelerator I

Ogre II x5
This one tanks 586, does 594 dps, and goes 582m/s. Don't forget the speed tank advantage, so you take significantly less damage to begin with.

For help with specific missions:
http://eve-survival.org/wikka.php?wakka=MissionReports
For help with fitting you ships:
http://www.scrapheap-challenge.com/viewforum.php?f=39

Or... you could go kill some sleepers/harvest some gas in a group of ~10. We're making obscene amounts of ithk.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu May 21, 2009 12:49 pm UTC

You misunderstand, I'm not doubting your ability to come up with a Domi or Ishtar fit for surviving L4s, I'm doubting your ability to make 100M a day doing it, unless you have 4-5 hours a day to play.

I'm curious about W-space though. Seems getting in isn't too hard, it's getting out that is.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Thu May 21, 2009 1:24 pm UTC

tron1point0 wrote:Here's a domi fit for you:
Spoiler:
[Dominix, New Setup 2]
Large Armor Repairer II
Armor EM Hardener II
Armor EM Hardener II

100MN Afterburner II
Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II

[empty rig slot]

Ogre II x5
Garde II x5
It's cap-stable, tanks 563 sansha, and does 714 dps. You should be able to level a significant portion of the rats before you even get to your tank.

And an ishtar fit (this time against serpentis):
Spoiler:
[Ishtar, New Setup 2]
Medium Armor Repairer II
Armor Kinetic Hardener II

Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II
10MN Afterburner II

[empty high slot]
[empty high slot]

Hybrid Burst Aerator I
Hybrid Collision Accelerator I

Ogre II x5
This one tanks 586, does 594 dps, and goes 582m/s. Don't forget the speed tank advantage, so you take significantly less damage to begin with.

For help with specific missions:
http://eve-survival.org/wikka.php?wakka=MissionReports
For help with fitting you ships:
http://www.scrapheap-challenge.com/viewforum.php?f=39

Or... you could go kill some sleepers/harvest some gas in a group of ~10. We're making obscene amounts of ithk.

I already know about and use EVE-survival, and I already have a Dominix fit. Less DPS, but it tanks on the order of 1200 damage in EFT. And that isn't enough to survive most 0.0 L4s solo. So like I said, I'm going ratting. Anyway, I can't use T2 large railguns. Or T2 large blasters. I'm trying to focus on sub-BS ships until I train some Amarr BSes. I'm actually not a huge fan of the Gallente BSes.

And using a HAC for a L4 seems silly because if you get webbed (which usually happens to me 4-5 times per L4, and usually pretty early on, too), then your speed tank is gone and all the enemies will suddenly get a bead on you, and you won't have a health buffer big enough to survive the sudden incoming hot death. Now, using a HAC set up more or less like that to add DPS to a mission where a BS is tanking, that would be great, because hopefully it won't ever attract any attention at all, but if it does it can survive a handful of bad guys trying to kill it.

-X

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Thu May 21, 2009 5:00 pm UTC

some HACs can do some l4s, but I wouldn't suggest it. On the other hand, most AFs can do most l3s. I havn't noticed that 0.0 missions are harder, though. Certinally was able to do l3s in my wolf easy enough.
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

tron1point0

Postby tron1point0 » Thu May 21, 2009 5:43 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I'm doubting your ability to make 100M a day doing it, unless you have 4-5 hours a day to play.

One mission, including salvage = 30 minutes and about 20m isk. Sometimes more time/more isk, sometimes less time/less isk. I recommend a Catalyst for the salvaging:
Spoiler:
[Catalyst, New Setup 1]
Expanded Cargohold II
Expanded Cargohold II
Expanded Cargohold II

1MN Afterburner II
Cap Recharger II

Salvager II
Salvager II
Salvager II
Salvager II
Small Tractor Beam I
Small Tractor Beam I
Small Tractor Beam I
Small Tractor Beam I

Salvage Tackle I
Salvage Tackle I
Salvage Tackle I

That shouldn't take you more than one go at the salvager to salvage anything in a l4. (You can swap out the t2 salvagers for t1 salvagers if you can't use them.

5*30 = 150 minutes = 2.5 hrs. The most time I've ever spent on missions was when I got 5 Worlds Collide in a row, since those take about 45 minutes to do both paths and the extra spawn. With two people, one tanking and the other dps, you can cut that down to 10 minutes of combat and 10 minutes of salvage (on the worlds collide. Less on easier missions.)

Xaddak wrote:I already know about and use EVE-survival, and I already have a Dominix fit. Less DPS, but it tanks on the order of 1200 damage in EFT. And that isn't enough to survive most 0.0 L4s solo. So like I said, I'm going ratting. Anyway, I can't use T2 large railguns. Or T2 large blasters. I'm trying to focus on sub-BS ships until I train some Amarr BSes. I'm actually not a huge fan of the Gallente BSes.

They probably implemented the 0.0 ai update and stuff, in which case you are better off ratting. Just find a good spawn and chain it.

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Thu May 21, 2009 6:14 pm UTC

The new AI is deployed nowhere besides WH space.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu May 21, 2009 6:28 pm UTC

Are you soloing these missions or running them with people?

Because if you're doing it with people, you realize you have to divide the amount you report by the number of people who help you with it, right?

I mean.... I can make 100M mining in 20 minutes if I have 8 other hulk pilots.

tron1point0

Postby tron1point0 » Thu May 21, 2009 8:35 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Are you soloing these missions or running them with people?

I'm soloing them. If I do it with anyone else for profit, it's either my alt or no more than one other person.

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Fri May 22, 2009 5:44 pm UTC

Damn, I really need to build a salvager... but I am so damn busy working on my T2 fitted Rifter...

Been playing for a couple weeks now, great game. Got invited to a Faction Warfare Corp. It has a bunch of great and really supportive pilots in it, which helps the experience. Although... we did have an accident in a duel the other day. On a somewhat related note: I like Rifters because they are cheap to replace and the corp hangars have most of the fittings I need.
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Fri May 22, 2009 7:46 pm UTC

The skill and cost that goes into a salvager is pretty negligible. You need Science IV for a tractor beam, which also cost about a mil apiece. All-in-all i'd be surprised if my salvager Cormorant cost me 3mil and took more than four days of training.

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Fri May 22, 2009 8:23 pm UTC

Gunfingers wrote:The skill and cost that goes into a salvager is pretty negligible. You need Science IV for a tractor beam, which also cost about a mil apiece. All-in-all i'd be surprised if my salvager Cormorant cost me 3mil and took more than four days of training.

Hmm... I may just have to do that then. I would go with a Thrasher because I am already working on Minmatar ships and there is a guy in my corp who has a Thrasher Salvager, so he could tell me the proper fittings.
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Fri May 22, 2009 8:34 pm UTC

Go with whatever you've already got Frigate III in. The Catalyst is actually supposed to be the best one, but the differences are fairly negligible.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Tue May 26, 2009 12:56 pm UTC

Is it? Are they? This is a job for SCIENCE!

*opens EFT*

Spoiler:

Code: Select all

[Catalyst, Salvager]
Expanded Cargohold II
Expanded Cargohold II
Expanded Cargohold II

Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II

Small Tractor Beam I
Salvager I
Small Tractor Beam I
Salvager I
Small Tractor Beam I
Salvager I
Small Tractor Beam I
Salvager I

Cargohold Optimization I
Cargohold Optimization I
Cargohold Optimization I

[Cormorant, Salvager]
Expanded Cargohold II

Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II

Small Tractor Beam I
Salvager I
Small Tractor Beam I
Salvager I
Small Tractor Beam I
Salvager I
Small Tractor Beam I
Salvager I

Cargohold Optimization I
Cargohold Optimization I
Cargohold Optimization I

[Coercer, Salvager]
Expanded Cargohold II
Expanded Cargohold II
Expanded Cargohold II
Expanded Cargohold II

Cap Recharger II

Small Tractor Beam I
Salvager I
Small Tractor Beam I
Salvager I
Small Tractor Beam I
Salvager I
Small Tractor Beam I
Salvager I

Cargohold Optimization I
Cargohold Optimization I
Cargohold Optimization I

[Thrasher, Salvager]
Expanded Cargohold II
Expanded Cargohold II

Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II

Small Tractor Beam I
Salvager I
Small Tractor Beam I
Salvager I
Small Tractor Beam I
Salvager I
Small Tractor Beam I
Salvager I

Cargohold Optimization I
Cargohold Optimization I
Cargohold Optimization I

Relevant numbers:
(All numbers calculated at All Level V skills)

Catalyst:
Speed: 248 m/s
Cap-stability: Unstable - 2 minutes 21 seconds
Cargohold: 1261 m3

Cormorant:
Speed: 275 m/s
Cap-stability: 53%
Cargohold: 873 m3

Coercer:
Speed: 237 m/s
Cap-stability: Unstable: 1 minute 56 seconds
Cargohold: 1206 m3

Thrasher:
Speed: 275 m/s
Cap-stability: 36%
Cargohold: 989 m3

Being cap stable isn't actually THAT big of a factor, because even running flat out, odds are low that your salvagers will be able to keep up with your tractor beams, so you'll probably not have the tractor beams running most of the time - which puts all of these builds well into cap stability.

So, barring that, speed and cargohold size are the most important. The Catalyst has the biggest cargohold at 1261, and is in the middle for speed. The speed differences are pretty minimal though - less than 50m/s spread across the whole set. So, yes, I'd say the Catalyst wins. But they all work just fine, so as Gunfingers said, go ahead and use whatever you already have Frigate III in, because the difference between the ships isn't enough to justify cross-training.

Now, a T2 salvager destroyer... I'd buy it.

-X

tron1point0

Postby tron1point0 » Wed May 27, 2009 7:09 am UTC

You want salvage tackles, not cargo optimizations. And try t2 salvagers and a mwd.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Wed May 27, 2009 9:16 am UTC

Use a small cap booster if you're looting that kind of stuff? :P

Personally I like the exequror for looting (gallente cruiser), it has a significantly bigger cargohold, but unfortunately only 4 high slots. Still, it's easy enough to mount both an MWD and AB on it for very nice speed control.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Return to “Gaming”