EVE Online

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Token

Re: EVE Online

Postby Token » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:24 pm UTC

Yes, you'll need to buy skillbooks for the ones you don't already have. If you check my plan, the first ones you'll want are Instant Recall (memory), Analytical Mind (intelligence), and Learning (provides a small boost to all attributes). Buying these three will set you back only about 125,000 ISK - not out of reach of a new player, especially one who's recieved donations ;).

Izawwlgood recommended EveMon - I can throroughly add my support to this. It's a useful little third party program that lets you plan out your skill training in advance, and it has the very useful feature that it lets you see all the skills available, what their prerequisites are (many of the advanced skills require that you have other skills trained to a certain level before you can use them), and how long it would take you to train that skill to a certain level (including how long it would take you to train the prerequisites). All in all, very nice. You can download it here.

Also, be sure to use the in-game training queue. Especially at the start, you'll have a lot of quick skills to train, and the queue will let you assign them all at once, rather than juggling them as each one finishes like I had to do when I started...
All posts are works in progress. If I posted something within the last hour, chances are I'm still editing it.

Decker

Postby Decker » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:51 pm UTC

Well, now I know what I'm setting up when I get back from work today. Thanks again for the information.

I'm going home for the weekend. I wish there was a way for me to set up skills beyond the 24 hour window.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Token

Postby Token » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:16 am UTC

That'll be less of a problem once you've got a few skills trained up - there'll usually always be a couple of skills you want to train that'll take at least a few days, so you can just switch one of these on if you're going to be away longer than 24 hours + whatever you have off the end of the plan.
All posts are works in progress. If I posted something within the last hour, chances are I'm still editing it.

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:21 am UTC

Decker wrote:Thanks, this is exactly the kind of information i was looking for. I'm training up all the skills I started with, but these skills sound unfamiliar to me. Do I need to get the skill books for the skills you mentioned here?

You will need to buy the skillbooks for any skill you don't start off with. New characters no longer start with any Learning skills, so you'll need to drop some ISK on that.

Edit:I really should have noticed that there was another page. Oops.

Also, be sure to use the in-game training queue. Especially at the start, you'll have a lot of quick skills to train, and the queue will let you assign them all at once, rather than juggling them as each one finishes like I had to do when I started...

<old man voice>In my day, we had to be logged on to switch skills when our skills finished, or lose training time! And you always lost a bit of training time anyway, because there was lag! And heaven forbid a skill finished at downtime, or when you were sleeping, or away from your computer, because then you'd lose HOURS at a time. </old man voice> (also in my day: ghost training! When I was new, you didn't have to have an actual active account to train, you could let your subscription lapse and maybe get a month or two of free training)
Honestly, though, that system was a pain in the ass. I had a lot of skills at 1 and 5, but not many at 2 or 3 (since those always were too long for a single session, but too short for between sessions).
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:15 am UTC

Skill queue > ghost training.

And yes, the queue is awesome. I think I've only lost like four hours since then, and it's because I was a moron and forgot to set up my queue.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:56 am UTC

<old man voice> why, i've lost more training then most of you have! </old man voice>

srsly: queue = le awesome.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:56 am UTC

Xaddak wrote:Skill queue > ghost training.

And yes, the queue is awesome. I think I've only lost like four hours since then, and it's because I was a moron and forgot to set up my queue.

I've missed a couple of days since the queue came in, but that was because my gaming computer's BIOS asploded and I hadn't fixed it yet (and my laptop had some really odd issue that reinstalling didn't fix). I ended up going to a friend's house to set a long skill going.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:43 am UTC

Today in eve, I bought a Gila for 85m, bought a Gila blueprint copy for 65m and sold said bpc for 175m. Total profit: 25m and 1 gila.

About the gila:
Spoiler:
The gila is a guristas faction pirate cruiser which is widely regarded to suck, however CCP Ytterbium posted earlier today about the overhaul of all pirate ships making them kick ass a whole lot more. The Gila will be equivalent in many ways to an Ishtar, a more common 130m ship that requires more skills to fly.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Woofsie

Postby Woofsie » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:50 am UTC

Niiiiiiiice. ^^ I wish I had the capital to invest in that kind of long term trading.

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:55 pm UTC

Long term...? That happened in like... 2 hours :P

But yes, having ISK lying around is nice.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Woofsie

Postby Woofsie » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:59 pm UTC

Haha, well I presume you're not going to sell the Gila until the changes arrive and the price shoots up. :P

Although the bpc resell was quite nice, too.

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:47 pm UTC

I'm probably going to fly the gila :P What's the use of having isk if you never use it?

Website

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:24 pm UTC

amen, brother.

Also, was very angry that ccp released these changes when I didn't have any liquid isk on me. :p
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

Woofsie

Postby Woofsie » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:31 pm UTC

Fair enough. :)

Actually, where was the update mentioned? I don't see it in the dev blogs or Ytterbium's recent posts...

Edit: Nevermind, I see it now. The forum's dev-finder sucks.

Decker

Postby Decker » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:14 am UTC

And here I am all excited that I've managed to get up to almost five million isk.

I think I'm starting to get the hang of this game. The interface could be a little less cluttered, but I'm starting to learn how the controls work and what the different add-ons do.

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:55 pm UTC

I managed to make it to 5 million isk after selling items taken from a wreck. Bought a cruiser and a load of new equipment for it, tried a mission and got utterly destroyed and lost all the stuff.

Then I bought another cruiser and lost that in pvp last night with awia and a couple of others. Now I'm trying to find the money to buy it yet again...

The most I've ever had in a week of playing is 6 million isk. I am not good at keeping ships.
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

Awia

Postby Awia » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:02 pm UTC

That was some pretty fun PvP, even if I didn't get into lock on range before my ship got destroyed.
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:58 pm UTC

Rule #1 in Eve: never fly what you can't afford to lose.
Rule #2 in Eve: you will lose it.
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

Decker

Postby Decker » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:23 pm UTC

Good thing I'm sticking to frigates for now then.

After buying one of those tier two skill books I'm back down to...uh...broke.

...anyone want to buy about 20,000 small anti-matter rounds?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:53 pm UTC

Well, we're all out of our first C4. Definitely a learning experience, as we had a few issues to contend with. All told, we pulled about 1.5Bn from the system, about 1Bn of which was in ore sales, and left 3 mag sites untouched, as well as being to slow on a number of combat sites. So, we can do better :D

It's way easier to get set up in a wormhole then it is to get out of one, and that said, once a clear route out spawns, we evacuated the whole setup in about an hour.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Decker

Postby Decker » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:56 pm UTC

Anyone know of a good Hi-Sec corp that would be willing to take on an incredibly new player?

Awia

Postby Awia » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:52 pm UTC

EVE University is a good corp for newbies I hear, they teach you how to play then spit you back out into the wide world as an experienced pilot.

Decker

Postby Decker » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:54 pm UTC

Awia wrote:EVE University is a good corp for newbies I hear, they teach you how to play then spit you back out into the wide world as an experienced pilot.

Do you know how I can get ahold of them?

Awia

Postby Awia » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:05 pm UTC

Here's how to apply on their website: http://www.eve-ivy.com/oog/ivy/index.ph ... apply.html

Decker

Postby Decker » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:16 pm UTC

Many thanks. I'll check it out as soon as I get home from work.
You guys are helpful! Thanks for putting up with all the questions.

Awia

Postby Awia » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:11 pm UTC

Wooh! Finally got my first cruiser, a thorax. Now to fit it as a blaster boat and to go a-killin'

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:26 pm UTC

Once you've got the skills to use it ;)
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

Awia

Postby Awia » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:34 pm UTC

Fine, postpone the killing for about 10 days.

Kain

Postby Kain » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:16 am UTC

my caracal could take your thorax any day. Well, just so long as said day was one were I was flying it for pvp, which isnt often at all... anyways, down with Gallente!
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:19 am UTC

We should set up an xkcd mini tournament.

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:03 am UTC

We should set up an xkcd titan day.

By which I am referring to friday the 25th of september, where everyone on the test server gets free supercaps and all level V skills. Hell yeah.

Also I am in for xkcd mini-tournament although I may fail quite hard. :P I can try anyway.

Finally vexor + thorax are both kickass, I generally doubt a caracal could kill a thorax before it pissed off anyway and uh. Yeah. Depends on the setups I guess.

Plus that caracal will melt if it ever does come in range.

Website

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:55 pm UTC

I've clobbered a Thorax and a Navy Caracal in a Rifter (not at the same time). Damned Thorax was running ECM too.

As for recent expenditures: A week ago I paid a pirate 35 million to keep my Hurricane. On monday I lost my T2 fitted, and rigged, Wolf (bought a new one once I got "home"). I HATE cap neuts (both cases) and Corp mates in BSs who go AFK (latter instance). Last night I spent somewhere in the vicinity of 200 million buying a second Hurricane (still have the first), mods and rigs trying to one up some friends in the duels we were having.

Decker, where are you based currently? I hold some sway in my corp and could get you in. We're in Minmatar space, rather small but very laid back and supportive. We have several newer pilots in our ranks (I'm only a 6 million SP pilot myself) and we definitely take the time to show people the ropes. I was playing when only one other Corpie was on, brand new player, I told her she was coming with me (no option) bought and fitted her a Rifter (set to match her skills) and took her ratting in lowsec.
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

Decker

Postby Decker » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:10 pm UTC

I'm currently in CDEC, but thanks for the offer. =)

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:38 pm UTC

No problem. I saw you were looking for a Corp and thought I would offer.
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:43 pm UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:By which I am referring to friday the 25th of september, where everyone on the test server gets free supercaps and all level V skills. Hell yeah.

I am so glad you mentioned this, as I completely forgot it was coming up. I would suggest not getting in a Titan if you want to survive though, as aside from having a gazillion HP, they don't do a lot of damage (against other caps anyway, DD's are good system clearers of course)

nsmjohn wrote:No problem. I saw you were looking for a Corp and thought I would offer.

Annnnnnnnnnd heres a counter offer: Getting bored of ratting in low sec in a rifter? Wanna fly with the big boys and make the big ISKies?

Decker

Postby Decker » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:13 pm UTC

Guys. I hate to say this but I think I may have to give up on EVE online.

It's not that I got blew up and I'm ragequitting or anything. I'm just having a very hard time with the time based skilling up. I'm really a completionist by nature and just the idea that I would never be able to get ALL my skills up in EVE is bumming me out. Also, the idea that I can't work to grind skills gets me impaitent as well. It's always going to take a couple days to get these skills up, no matter what I do.

I would like to pay back the person that gave me the starter money though. I feel bad, I like you guys, but this game just dosn't fit my personality.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:46 pm UTC

I would suggest giving it at least two months. I don't know any game that rewards a single month of work with a character that can do just about anything, and indeed, Eve's training course is set so after 2 months, you'll be just nearing the first major goal you've set out for (Either t2 cruisers, some t2 gear, Battleships, Exhumers, Production Efficiency 5, etc). Also, don't forget that while you will likely never have skill lvl 5 for every skill in the game, getting a single training goal to all skill level 5's is something that can be accomplished quite readily. My main is about 3 years old, and has run out of relevant things to train; indeed is now just rounding out the remaining level 5's for those few 1-5% bonuses here and there, and plugging away at larger, longer term finale's, like getting Carriers to 5, etc. And don't forget, there are 4 races, so as a Gallente pilot, you have no reason to really train Minmatar Battleships or Large Energy Weapons, unless you decide to go that route. It's not that you'll NEVER max all the skills, it's that you'll never need to. The best equivalent I can think of, is a Priest in WoW being upset that they can't max out on Rogue skills.

Eve's grind is something different from other games. In other games, you grind for xp or loot, in Eve, you only grind for loot. Because loot is lost, lost often, and lost hard. I could put an hour into Warhammer and gain a level or a reknown rank, and that was cool, but Eve is different. I can spend an hour in Eve mining, or fighting Sleepers, or moving building materials around, and it'll all net me different rewards. Mining is low stress and low risk, bringing in a steady stream of ISK, Sleepers are more dangerous and require vigilance, and building stuff is just like building a puzzle (that I can sell for small fortunes). If I go back to Warhammer, all I can do is kill players or kill npcs, and all I can gain is xp/reknown.

So maybe Eve isn't for you, maybe you need to see more direct, tangible improvements to your character every time you put in an hour of playing. But personally, I find that to be Eve's strongest selling point; I can go on vacation, and not feel as though I wasted time. I'll come back from a weekend camping trip, and BAM! I can now use T2 target painters, or my build project is completed, or our POS needs refueling. The game world is dynamic and alive and constantly changing and reacting, and my participation in it, is truly up to me. So for serious, give Eve the benefit of a doubt and let it excite you over the battery of new ships, mods, and activities you'll be able to do when you start racking up those skills.

Decker

Postby Decker » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:51 pm UTC

Alright, I'll give it a little while longer. I think I'll also set up a second character that follows a different line of work.

And maybe a third. That way, I WILL be able to do everything eventually.

Edit: I suppose that is one really good thing about eve. Skilling up three characters takes just as long as skilling up one.

Edit Edit: I think I'm going to have one character concentrate on combat/EW and Salvaging, one concentrate on Mining and Building, and one on Hauling, Selling, and Exploration. Three characters is the max you can have right?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:51 pm UTC

I hope you mean you'll be opening a second and third ACCOUNT in order to skill up more characters, because you can only train a single character per account.

And I can't emphasize this enough: With enough time, in EVE, you CAN do everything. Not like, oh, I didn't pick the right race/class, so I can't tank/deal damage/support/mine/build/sell/use drones/lasers/shields/armor very well. Like, 'Well, I've been playing for a year, and I can Mine, Build, Shoot lasers/missiles, armor tank/shield tank, and fly a freighter.

If you want to diversify your interests (which I think you should, I'd get bored doing any one thing in Eve), you SHOULD. Train to fly and use cruisers, and toss in Mining 4 while your at it. Having fun mining? Train astrogeology up to 4, and add some armor tanking skills in to the mix. Really digging a Thorax and flying fast? Train up for interdictors, and also train production efficiency 5 and mass production 4 so you can build with that left over pile of minerals from mining.

It's just a matter of what you want and when you want it (I.e., use evemon!) If you want to get into a Hulk ASAP, you can do it in about 2 months. If you want to get into a Battleship ASAP you can do that in about 2 months. If you want to do both, you can probably get it done in 3.5 months, as there are some useful overlapping skills (well, some). And this shit stacks, so once you've trained armor tanking skills, ALL ships that armor tank will be benefiting from it. I dunno man, Eve to me is the ultimate in long term investment MMOs.

Decker

Postby Decker » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:04 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I hope you mean you'll be opening a second and third ACCOUNT in order to skill up more characters, because you can only train a single character per account.

This I didn't know. Rats.

Return to “Gaming”