EVE Online

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SlyReaper
inflatable

Re: EVE Online

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:38 pm UTC

Alasseo wrote:Then again, he might. Might make an enemy if he keeps it.

One more enemy to the thousands he's never met.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Canineteeth

Postby Canineteeth » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:14 am UTC

Did the way I write it make it sound like I wanna keep it? Oh heck no. I really don't want to. Partly because I have no clue what I could do with it, nor no want to do it. Besides, I met him in the xkcd channel. That doesn't really change anything, but I still don't want to keep the money. Though I did find out my tutorials take place 4 jumps away from Jita.

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:07 am UTC

Canineteeth wrote:Did the way I write it make it sound like I wanna keep it? Oh heck no. I really don't want to. Partly because I have no clue what I could do with it, nor no want to do it. Besides, I met him in the xkcd channel. That doesn't really change anything, but I still don't want to keep the money. Though I did find out my tutorials take place 4 jumps away from Jita.

If you give the money back, you don't deserve to continue playing EVE. That isn't how the game works. Keep the money, or quit and give me your stuff.
broken_escalator wrote:The Mako is powered by the rage of the physics it denies.

Kain

Postby Kain » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:11 am UTC

Or use the same scam three more times, buy a plex, send it to me, and then quit...
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:28 am UTC

Jack21222 wrote:
Canineteeth wrote:Did the way I write it make it sound like I wanna keep it? Oh heck no. I really don't want to. Partly because I have no clue what I could do with it, nor no want to do it. Besides, I met him in the xkcd channel. That doesn't really change anything, but I still don't want to keep the money. Though I did find out my tutorials take place 4 jumps away from Jita.

If you give the money back, you don't deserve to continue playing EVE. That isn't how the game works. Keep the money, or quit and give me your stuff.

Because, as we all know, honest people are never successful in EVE.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Decker

Postby Decker » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:46 am UTC

Jack21222 wrote:

It's a god-damned game. Get over yourself. If he would rather build a reputation as a honest pilot instead of an untrustworthy asshole, good for him. Either pay his $15 dollars a month or shut up and let him play how he wants.
Last edited by Decker on Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:48 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:48 am UTC

Cynical Idealist wrote:Because, as we all know, honest people are never successful in EVE.

Is having 22 alts and an EVE tattoo your definition of "successful?"
Decker wrote:It's a god-damned game. Get over yourself. If he would rather build a reputation as a honest pilot instead of an untrustworthy asshole, good for him. Either pay his $15 dollars a month or shut up and let him play how he wants.

Since when are those the only two options? He can pay his own money, and I get to make fun of the way he plays. There's no reason both can't be done.
broken_escalator wrote:The Mako is powered by the rage of the physics it denies.

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:10 am UTC

Jack21222 wrote:
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Jack21222 wrote:

Top Five Things that Chribba can do that you can't:
1) Get paid hundreds of millions of ISK just for sitting around watching one person exit a supercap, and another person enter it.
2) Afford a private fleet of capital and supercapital ships (16 of them), and use them to mine veldspar, for shits and giggles.
3) Have a dreadnaught in 1.0 security space
4) Have swarms of noobs waiting in space for a chance to see him
5) Get players to throw their ISK at him to get their names on one of his websites.

Seems like he's fairly successful in EVE to me.

ETA: double posting is bad and you should feel bad for doing it.
1)The tone of voice
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:07 am UTC

I'd have Chribba's babies. He's the definition of profiting in a sandbox via unconventional means.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:32 pm UTC

Cynical Idealist wrote:
Jack21222 wrote:
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Jack21222 wrote:

Top Five Things that Chribba can do that you can't:
1) Get paid hundreds of millions of ISK just for sitting around watching one person exit a supercap, and another person enter it.
2) Afford a private fleet of capital and supercapital ships (16 of them), and use them to mine veldspar, for shits and giggles.
3) Have a dreadnaught in 1.0 security space
4) Have swarms of noobs waiting in space for a chance to see him
5) Get players to throw their ISK at him to get their names on one of his websites.

Seems like he's fairly successful in EVE to me.

ETA: double posting is bad and you should feel bad for doing it.

I've never heard of him. It sounds like he has a mental health issue to me, and should probably see a doctor. Are you suggesting that the "honest" poster about to return the money will be the next Chribba?

P.S. I double posted because a new post appeared between the time I clicked "reply" on your post and the time I actually posted. What was I supposed to do, wait around for somebody else to post in between?

Decker

Postby Decker » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:33 pm UTC

There's an Edit button.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:42 pm UTC

I think someone has Chribba-envy. :wink:

I don't think Chribba even watches the transaction does he? I thought the way it worked was that he'd hold the money in escrow, and when the buyer is in the supercapital, and is clear, he signals Chribba to send the money to the seller.

However, I still think Chribba is the exception to the rule. Most successful Eve players are greedy cut-throat bastards and proud of it. They get away with it because even if someone tries to name-and-shame them, nobody pays any attention. It's just one more name they'll forget within 5 minutes. Same if you try to build up a reputation of being honest; nobody will remember you, so you may as well not worry about reputation. Chribba is successful because everybody knows him, and knows he can be trusted. For reasons unknown, he's managed to build up a reputation for being awesome.

As for double posting, there's an edit button. I suggest you use it.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:54 pm UTC

Jack21222 wrote:I've never heard of him.

Then you haven't been playing Eve long enough. Saying you haven't heard of Chribba in Eve is like having not heard of Michael Jackson and liking music in the 80's.

Jack21222 wrote:It sounds like he has a mental health issue to me, and should probably see a doctor.

Because he plays the game on his own terms? Or because he has an Eve tattoo? I've got two Eve t-shirts and an Eve mug. I know someone who has an on-off power logo on his wrist...

SlyReaper wrote:For reasons unknown, he's managed to build up a reputation for being awesome.

Chribba is also known for organizing his own events, and leaving fabulous prizes stashed around New Eden. He was the first to do the supercapital transactions and other large value transactions, and effectively fills the void that contracts left in space (as in, he is as air tight as contracting out of station). Chribba has a very extensive list of parties he has worked with, and they trust him, and because of that trust, he can continue doing the silliness that he does.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:36 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I don't think Chribba even watches the transaction does he? I thought the way it worked was that he'd hold the money in escrow, and when the buyer is in the supercapital, and is clear, he signals Chribba to send the money to the seller.

He does, otherwise this could happen:
Seller ejects
Buyer gets in
Buyer tells Chribba that the deal apparently fell through.
Seller asks Chribba where his money is.
(Now WTF is Chribba supposed to do?)

If he's there, he can verify that the transaction actually occurred and avoid problems like that.
1)The tone of voice

hintss

Postby hintss » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:16 am UTC

his evelopedia article has a link. to a redirect. that redirects to his article.

FAILHILARIOUS

Oh hai, I fix it. -ST

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:07 am UTC

Wow, everyone in this thread got really touchy real quick as soon as the questions of honesty and reputation were brought up.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:31 am UTC

Some people might not have the reputation they wish they did, and try and cover for it by saying that reputations don't matter, eh?

<-- has no problem with his rep, for the record.
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:05 am UTC

Alasseo wrote:Some people might not have the reputation they wish they did, and try and cover for it by saying that reputations don't matter, eh?

That's not likely, actually. I go out of my way to have a bad reputation, but I'm still a complete unknown, even though I only operate in one system. I suicide gank miners, I steal mission loot and salvage, I put up fraudulent contracts, and nobody knows me.

hintss

Postby hintss » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:31 am UTC

I thought fails were supposed to be hilarious

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:36 am UTC

Jack21222 wrote:
Alasseo wrote:Some people might not have the reputation they wish they did, and try and cover for it by saying that reputations don't matter, eh?

That's not likely, actually. I go out of my way to have a bad reputation, but I'm still a complete unknown, even though I only operate in one system. I suicide gank miners, I steal mission loot and salvage, I put up fraudulent contracts, and nobody knows me.

Likely because you are doing exactly what a very large body of Eve players already do, and are probably small fry (Non-allianced, non-political, only hitting macro'ers anyway...)

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:32 pm UTC

Chribba also runs a slew of websites related to EVE: http://Oh me yarm.la/bs/

He provides a tremendous service to folks within EVE. He's proof that honest people can succeed at a high level within the game. Of course it was designed to be a PVP game in -every- aspect, something that a person with a bird's eye view would miss, and that includes the market/legit scams (see EVE Bank theft)/corporate & alliance theft, so the dishonest person can be just as successful without repurcussion as long as they're not violating the EULA. It's pretty rare for a game to combine casual appeal with a full scale open-ended PVP aspect in such a nice package. Now if the learning cliff was a bit lower...

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:10 pm UTC

Mishrak wrote:Of course it was designed to be a PVP game in -every- aspect

*sigh*

Kain

Postby Kain » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:17 pm UTC

Hmmm... few thoughts that crossed my mind earlier:
1. How long does it take between one person ejecting from the supercap and the next entering it?
2. How well guarded would they be?
3. Could one conceivably (not likely, just possibly) kill both pods in the answer to 1.?
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:24 pm UTC

Chances are they sit right next to one another, but still have to wait 30 seconds changing ships makes you wait. Chances are also that they do the swap in a POS? But I'm not sure how Chribba deals with people attacking in the middle of transactions, as I've never dealt with him.

Kain

Postby Kain » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:43 pm UTC

Probably annihilates them... though if someone pulled it off, they would probably gain some measure of infamy.
Meh, if I ever start playing again I may have a new goal...

cmd

Postby cmd » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:11 am UTC

A small POS is set up for every MS transaction.

Kain

Postby Kain » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:34 am UTC

Okay, yeah, that would pretty much make it an impossible goal. Yay, one less reason to get back to a very addicting game!

Rakshasa

Postby Rakshasa » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:48 am UTC

A brief guide to reputation for the Serious EvE Player:

If someone makes a mistake and loses a lot of ISK to you, it is generally seen as free lunch and no hard feelings unless you're alliance/corp mates, good allies or friends. This covers things like buying at the wrong price, setting up contracts missing some zeros, etc.

Scams and not honoring deals, etc, is seen as fair game and the guy made a mistake trusting you, and do expect yourself to be on a shitlist. For some of us, the 70M ISK as mentioned by the above poster is pocket change and quite worth the risk of losing in order to establish if the new guy we've met can be trusted to hold at least those kinds of values.

That 70M ISK might seem like a large sum for a trial account user, yet it pales in comparison to the billions or even tens of billions worth of corp/member assets that some corporations have lying around unsecured. To function any serious 0.0 corp needs to perform risk management and in-depth background checks on new recruits.

You bought you character (thread found on the forums)? Well, how can we be sure you're not a career corp thief...

There's a post on the C&P forum section about you running off with 200M worth of assets when you left your last corp? Can't trust you unless you have a really good excuse that checks out, and we _WILL_ talk to your former corp CEO/members.

No forum history nor any former corps? If you're a new character (less than 3 months old) you'll either need to be RL friends with someone we know who can vouch for you, or give a pretty good impression during the 1+ hour interview of having a good personality, be able to have fun being serious and have a RL that suggest you're good corp material. If you got more than 3 months of playing we often look at how you've performed, yet personality and trustworthiness is still laid much weight on.

It is then much easier to get into a serious corp if you join a less strict corp, make friends and just basically be a decent guy who doesn't make drama. Later your friends will put in a good word for you when they themselves find a good place.

Reputation is everything; even if you aim at GHSC or Goons.

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:45 am UTC

Rakshasa wrote:A brief guide to reputation for the Serious EvE Player:

If someone makes a mistake and loses a lot of ISK to you, it is generally seen as free lunch and no hard feelings unless you're alliance/corp mates, good allies or friends. This covers things like buying at the wrong price, setting up contracts missing some zeros, etc.

Scams and not honoring deals, etc, is seen as fair game and the guy made a mistake trusting you, and do expect yourself to be on a shitlist. For some of us, the 70M ISK as mentioned by the above poster is pocket change and quite worth the risk of losing in order to establish if the new guy we've met can be trusted to hold at least those kinds of values.

That 70M ISK might seem like a large sum for a trial account user, yet it pales in comparison to the billions or even tens of billions worth of corp/member assets that some corporations have lying around unsecured. To function any serious 0.0 corp needs to perform risk management and in-depth background checks on new recruits.

You bought you character (thread found on the forums)? Well, how can we be sure you're not a career corp thief...

There's a post on the C&P forum section about you running off with 200M worth of assets when you left your last corp? Can't trust you unless you have a really good excuse that checks out, and we _WILL_ talk to your former corp CEO/members.

No forum history nor any former corps? If you're a new character (less than 3 months old) you'll either need to be RL friends with someone we know who can vouch for you, or give a pretty good impression during the 1+ hour interview of having a good personality, be able to have fun being serious and have a RL that suggest you're good corp material. If you got more than 3 months of playing we often look at how you've performed, yet personality and trustworthiness is still laid much weight on.

It is then much easier to get into a serious corp if you join a less strict corp, make friends and just basically be a decent guy who doesn't make drama. Later your friends will put in a good word for you when they themselves find a good place.

Reputation is everything; even if you aim at GHSC or Goons.

Pretty much this. If you think that because you live in some little hole in Placid and no one will know who you are, you vastly underestimate the resources of players to find out who you are, should you ever interact.
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

Keldaran

Postby Keldaran » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:55 pm UTC

in my old alliance because we crossed gamed within our corp, we could if we wanted to track you down based on IP, it was a very good incentive against embezziling.

also we kept corp size small and only really let you do ANYTHING if you proved trustworthy. We got so good at routing internal spies that we actually got asked to from the alliance intel division. of course this being EvE we used the intel division to spy on our own guys more than the other alliances in the region.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:48 pm UTC

Tracking down someone's IP is not going to stop them from robbing you. While you absolutely shouldn't let people have roles unless you 'absolutely trust them', keep in mind the BoB director that turned had been with them for ages.

TheGreatMeh

Postby TheGreatMeh » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:09 am UTC

I started the trial a week ago, at the moment i am just flying around trying my hardest to be a pirate. Any pointers for a newbie?

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:33 am UTC

Many. Are you in the ingame channel?

TheGreatMeh

Postby TheGreatMeh » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:37 pm UTC

I am right now, and i will be for the next couple of hours

cmd

Postby cmd » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:39 am UTC

Keldaran wrote:in my old alliance because we crossed gamed within our corp, we could if we wanted to track you down based on IP, it was a very good incentive against embezziling.

ALSO YOU GUYS: we kept corp size small and only really let you do ANYTHING if you proved trustworthy. We got so good at routing internal spies that we actually got asked to from the alliance intel division. of course this being EvE we used the intel division to spy on our own guys more than the other alliances in the region.

Oh nos, don't tell me you have my IP ADDRESS!! DUN DUNduuuuuuuuuuuuuuun.
:roll:

Keldaran

Postby Keldaran » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:10 pm UTC

Well, we can hack you. that would not be fun at all.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:53 pm UTC

And, uh, illegal. Like, in real life. As in jail time. Over a game.

Seriously, guys?

lol

Man, what fun word replacements!
Last edited by Xaddak on Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

TTS

Postby TTS » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:54 pm UTC

And probably something he or anyone he knows is incapable of doing :P

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:55 pm UTC

Somehow the idea that you would "hack" someone over something that happened in a game seems like taking it a bit too far. That is, if it isn't interweb bravado and you actually would risk it (since I'm pretty sure it's illegal).

As for getting their IP, why is cross-gaming required? Isn't getting someone's IP address pretty trivial if you have a corp forum? If they're running it through a proxy or something to get to the corp forum, there would quite possibly be signs of that anyway.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Decker

Postby Decker » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:56 pm UTC

I'm sorry. I can't take anyone seriously when they say "I know your IP address! I can hack you!"

Return to “Gaming”