EVE Online

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

musashi1600

Re: EVE Online

Postby musashi1600 » Thu May 12, 2011 12:43 am UTC

halbarad wrote:
musashi1600 wrote:I've been away from Eve since since August of 2009, after trying to find a place for myself as a miner/industrialist, getting into a nullsec corp, then leaving it all because I wasn't enjoying it like I thought I would. I've recently been contemplating going back and starting from scratch (new account, new characters) and making a go as a trader in highsec; nullsec life wasn't worth the stress while I was there. Is it worth trying (been reading some of the Market Discussions guides), or am I setting myself up to burn out again?

I'd strongly recommend not starting from scratch. Keep the account and character, training all those basic skills up again is what is putting me off from getting an another alt. And most corps really don't care about your previous corps unless something really strange stands out (membership in known merc corps like Orphans etc might cause issues, but not likely if your a miner/industrialis).

The two big problems with trying to log back in to my old character are that my corp was affiliated with CVA's alliance bloc, so most of whatever assets I owned were most likely lost when AAA invaded Providence, and that I had my character helping out with some resource ops in a wormhole at the time I left, which means I'd be logging back into a Hulk or a Mack in there and waiting a long time before I'd be able to get out (I don't remember what survey skills I had, but I do remember using BMs to get around within the WH system most of the time.)

On top of that, while my character did have about 14-15M SP at the time I left, I figure I'd be able to sign up with a corp like Eve University and get a better grasp of things and have a better idea of how I want to play.
It's Bicycle Repair Man!

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Thu May 12, 2011 4:05 am UTC

So your options are:

- Lose your assets, pod yourself out of the WH, start with 14-15 million SP and join EVE Uni
- Have no assets, no implants, 0 SP, and join EVE Uni
EVE Online: Daesis Wrack
Starcraft 2 (US): CosmicOsmo #465
Anarchy Online (RK2): Azzamis

musashi1600

Postby musashi1600 » Thu May 12, 2011 6:03 am UTC

I'd be losing a ton of SP with the first option anyway, since my clone contract would've expired long ago. Not that much difference as I see it.
It's Bicycle Repair Man!

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Thu May 12, 2011 6:12 am UTC

Clone contracts don't expire due to time. If you have more SP than your clone, the most you'll lose will be 1 rank of your highest-SP skill. You'll still have 14 million SP. That's 7-8 months of training time, throwing it away would be magnificently foolish.

Alternatively, you could sell the character, which would cost you $20 but net you something like 5 bil isk, then start fresh with a nice bankroll.

musashi1600

Postby musashi1600 » Thu May 12, 2011 6:22 am UTC

Swivelguy wrote:Clone contracts don't expire due to time. If you have more SP than your clone, the most you'll lose will be 1 rank of your highest-SP skill. You'll still have 14 million SP. That's 7-8 months of training time, throwing it away would be magnificently foolish.

Hmm. I was thinking for some reason that clone contracts had to be renewed every 8 weeks, but I guess that's incorrect.
It's Bicycle Repair Man!

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu May 12, 2011 12:46 pm UTC

How much stuff do you have in providence? There may be ways of getting it out. Seriously, even if you had to abandon it all in the station, it's better to not just abandon the SP. Everything else you can replace fairly easily. SP is the only thing that's a bit more time consuming to replace.

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Thu May 12, 2011 2:12 pm UTC

musashi1600 wrote:
Swivelguy wrote:Clone contracts don't expire due to time. If you have more SP than your clone, the most you'll lose will be 1 rank of your highest-SP skill. You'll still have 14 million SP. That's 7-8 months of training time, throwing it away would be magnificently foolish.

Hmm. I was thinking for some reason that clone contracts had to be renewed every 8 weeks, but I guess that's incorrect.
I think that's ship insurance. I never buy that, so I don't know the exact timeframe. But I do know that ship insurance expires, while clones do not.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu May 12, 2011 2:42 pm UTC

Yeah, that's definitely ship insurance.

@ Musashi - if you don't have 2-3 billion worth of assets stranded in Providence, then it's probably not even worth your time to get it out. Battleships, expensive t3's, BPO's, stuff like that, it's worth it, but if it's just drakes and hurricanes and inties, I'd just flush it. Or get it up on the market if you can and try to get some of your ISK back. Maybe even consider joining one of the corps that take it over. Provi looks like it's going to change hands soon so there will probably be an opportunity to do so.

Robot_Raptor

Postby Robot_Raptor » Fri May 13, 2011 6:25 pm UTC

Huh, how many people here are goons? or testies? or members of the clusterfuck coalition?

Regardless, cheers fellow internet spaceships players o7

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Fri May 13, 2011 10:06 pm UTC

Woot woot for TEST.

Unrelated, but awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45mlVuLs_Nw
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

Robot_Raptor

Postby Robot_Raptor » Fri May 13, 2011 10:09 pm UTC

Spambot5546 wrote:Woot woot for TEST.

Unrelated, but awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45mlVuLs_Nw

Haha! Reverted_Pacifist here pleased to meetcha, sadly i'm a bit inactive at the moment, i basically keep my accounts running for access to the TEST forums.

also all hail our new rob3r overlords!

halbarad

Postby halbarad » Wed May 18, 2011 12:02 pm UTC

So Incursion 1.5 is out tomorrow with some very nice changes (NC tears are best tears etc). More interesting (and kind of related to that) is some of the other changes, either happening in this patch or the next one, brought to us by Team BFF who brought us some other awesome changes.

I think the feature that is getting the most attention is the bookmarks on the overview, which are going to be very useful and with the confirmation that they will get brackets too it should be a great bonus to solo/small gang pvp and living in WHs (or other places where you use some bookmarks a lot).

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Wed May 18, 2011 12:38 pm UTC

I'm torn about that because:

- It'll be easier for me to find that perfect spot for "warp to me at 30 and bubble up the enemy fleet as soon as you land." :)

- It'll be easier for everyone else to do that, and therefore less impressive when I do it :(

Overall it's definitely a great change. It's gonna get a little cluttered in my home system, where I have about 70 BMs.

halbarad

Postby halbarad » Wed May 18, 2011 1:21 pm UTC

Swivelguy wrote:I'm torn about that because:

- It'll be easier for me to find that perfect spot for "warp to me at 30 and bubble up the enemy fleet as soon as you land." :)

- It'll be easier for everyone else to do that, and therefore less impressive when I do it :(

Overall it's definitely a great change. It's gonna get a little cluttered in my home system, where I have about 70 BMs.

I'm really hoping that they've been smart about it and you can just how BMs from certain folders, so if you have one for safes/POS then you can have that and not need to have ones for sigs you've bookmarked or the like. I doubt it will happen though and people will just have to deal with it or have a separate tab for bookmarks. Having them as brackets too is going to make this a bit easier too.

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Wed May 18, 2011 1:45 pm UTC

halbarad wrote:I'm really hoping that they've been smart about it

You must be new around here :p

Being able to exclude folders would actually be completely awesome. In my home system, I'd exclude the folder that is just bookmarks to ~10 POSes all at the same planet, but probably include all my safespots (at least on 1 overview tab), which will make it pretty much possible to warp in any direction I like from any planet, once I can see them on brackets.

Wyvern

Postby Wyvern » Wed May 18, 2011 2:59 pm UTC

Swivelguy wrote:...possible to warp in any direction I like from any planet, once I can see them on brackets.

This brings up an interesting question. Will they be globally visible on the overview or only show up if they're on grid? I was expecting the latter, but the former would be so much better...

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Wed May 18, 2011 3:14 pm UTC

Wyvern wrote:
Swivelguy wrote:...possible to warp in any direction I like from any planet, once I can see them on brackets.

This brings up an interesting question. Will they be globally visible on the overview or only show up if they're on grid? I was expecting the latter, but the former would be so much better...

I asked exactly that in the devblog thread. (no reply, ofc)

Wyvern

Postby Wyvern » Thu May 19, 2011 2:48 pm UTC

I guess we'll find out in a few minutes, as they're applying the patch now. wooo extra downtime......

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Thu May 19, 2011 3:50 pm UTC

That change isn't coming until the next patch. Today we just got alt-dragging probe configs, and epic onboard scan of awesomeness. Also something about mission agents.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu May 19, 2011 3:52 pm UTC

Swivelguy wrote:and epic onboard scan of awesomeness

Do tell?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu May 19, 2011 4:06 pm UTC

They also changed jump bridges in this patch yeah?

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Thu May 19, 2011 4:12 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
Swivelguy wrote:and epic onboard scan of awesomeness

Do tell?

It only takes 10 seconds and has a 64 AU range now. It still detects only anomalies. My emphasis was kind of misplaced, the alt-dragging of scan probes is much more important of an improvement.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu May 19, 2011 4:14 pm UTC

Neat. Any changes to scanning?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Thu May 19, 2011 4:19 pm UTC

Mishrak wrote:They also changed jump bridges in this patch yeah?

I believe the ship type restrictions (they can only be used by things that can use gates and aren't JFs) are in now, but the restriction of only 1 JB per system isn't yet.

(I have never even been in a system with a jumpbridge, so don't take my word for it)

Izawwlgood wrote:Neat. Any changes to scanning?

Yes, a big one: you can alt-drag on your probes to move your probes closer and farther from eachother, without changing the "shape" of your configuration. I haven't actually tried it yet myself but reports are that it is amazing.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu May 19, 2011 4:20 pm UTC

Swivelguy wrote:Yes, a big one: you can alt-drag on your probes to move your probes closer and farther from eachother, without changing the "shape" of your configuration. I haven't actually tried it yet myself but reports are that it is amazing.

Holy shit that's awesome. And by awesome, I mean sensible and about fucking time.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu May 19, 2011 4:27 pm UTC

Swivelguy wrote:
Mishrak wrote:They also changed jump bridges in this patch yeah?

I believe the ship type restrictions (they can only be used by things that can use gates and aren't JFs) are in now, but the restriction of only 1 JB per system isn't yet.

(I have never even been in a system with a jumpbridge, so don't take my word for it)

Izawwlgood wrote:Neat. Any changes to scanning?

Yes, a big one: you can alt-drag on your probes to move your probes closer and farther from eachother, without changing the "shape" of your configuration. I haven't actually tried it yet myself but reports are that it is amazing.

Yeah, I thought they were limiting JB's this patch but it's not in yet. The restrictions are very logical though.

That's a really nice change to probing. I'm not able to do much exploration where I'm living right now, but when I get back to that type of PVE, I'll be excited about that change. Very nicely done CCP.

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Thu May 19, 2011 4:30 pm UTC

Mishrak wrote:The restrictions are very logical though.

Seems like JFs should be able to use JBs though. That way it would be just a player-owned stargate, with the same ship restrictions.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu May 19, 2011 4:37 pm UTC

There's a lot of debates about JF's being included like Black Ops.

The thing that they have that BO's don't is they have a great jump range. With the range they get, they can hit whatever strategic station they need to hit and eliminate the stargate from the route. It's not that much of a change to logistics for them.

JF's have 11.25 LY range with JDC 5 (if you're flying it with JDC4 then that's fail!). That means the only ship that has a better range is a Carrier.

Black Ops have a whopping 4.5 LY range with JDC5.

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Jump_drive

Robot_Raptor

Postby Robot_Raptor » Thu May 19, 2011 4:42 pm UTC

Woah woah, they're lowing the number of JBs a system? and disallowing carriers from using them?

I don't want to have to cyno around my home just to plex. And having a chain of JBs is wonderfully useful in securing a homeland :/ and not all that hard to break down if you're taking space and not being stupid about it.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu May 19, 2011 4:46 pm UTC

Solo plexing in a capital is something that I can understand CCP wanting to do away with.

Robot_Raptor

Postby Robot_Raptor » Thu May 19, 2011 4:53 pm UTC

damn, then why the hell am i getting in a carrier?

I guess i'll have to stick to my current tripleboxing plexes scheme.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu May 19, 2011 4:55 pm UTC

They're limiting JB's to 1 per system, which means you can no longer travel only via jump bridges to your destination.

While it's wonderfully secure, it's also wonderfully secure, which means that the hostile fleet has an outraegously massive disadvantage if the defending fleet doesn't ever want to engage.

Capitals can't fit into most plexes, let alone do them solo.

All the rated DED complexes should have an acceleration gate which would block out carriers initially. Same with the initial Provincial HQ, I think. I may be wrong about that one, it's been awhile. Regardless, the only place it makes sense to really run a plex with a carrier is in the final escalation of a Provincial HQ, and it's not practical at all to do it solo in one. Carriers are excellent at soloing Anoms, although they're a bit slower than a more expensive Nightmare or Marauder. Anoms != plexes.

Triple boxing plexes is really a great way to make isk, esp if it's Black Ops + T3 tank + cyno 5 prober.

Robot_Raptor

Postby Robot_Raptor » Thu May 19, 2011 5:04 pm UTC

Yeah, i generally run them with Muinn for tank, ishtar for dps, and a salvager of some sort(because i'm a greedy ass and don't just give my salvage to the noobies).

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu May 19, 2011 5:06 pm UTC

No newbies salvage my plexes, but the only ones I've ever done are nullsec plexes.

Robot_Raptor

Postby Robot_Raptor » Thu May 19, 2011 5:10 pm UTC

same here, i haven't set foot in hi-sec with any of mains since last hulkageddon.

But it's traditional to let newbies (since as a dredditor we have a good number of low sp, not quite null pve capable pilots at any point in time) to let newbies salvage your plexes and make money that way, till they can get into something they can rat in.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu May 19, 2011 5:18 pm UTC

Ah you're much more generous than I am.

I don't even tell anyone but a handful of people I'm doing a plex (not even my own corp generally) or if they do, I won't say where it's at till it's over. There's a few reasons for that but generally it's because people are lazy and are more than willing to help you kill it for a share of the loot, but not nearly as many are willing to do the work to find it.

Robot_Raptor

Postby Robot_Raptor » Thu May 19, 2011 5:32 pm UTC

Oh very yes, i happily pay for plexes others find, and i'm a lazy ass about finding them myself.
I usually pay something like 50% of the total take up 200mil (usually the take is well over 400 mil, so it works out well) for a bookmark, but i usually don't share the work of actually killing everything.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu May 19, 2011 5:39 pm UTC

I'm pissed that I sold all the A-type EANMS i had back in Feb and March. They've gone up in price by like 300m per. Darn the NC for losing all their supers. Oh well at least they're losing them to us :P

halbarad

Postby halbarad » Fri May 20, 2011 6:41 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
Swivelguy wrote:Yes, a big one: you can alt-drag on your probes to move your probes closer and farther from eachother, without changing the "shape" of your configuration. I haven't actually tried it yet myself but reports are that it is amazing.

Holy shit that's awesome. And by awesome, I mean sensible and about fucking time.

I was scanning down WHs yesterday and pretty much instantly fell in love with this feature. It's an obvious thing to have but CCP don't always go for the obvious things.

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Fri May 20, 2011 10:12 pm UTC

(spoilered for largish image)
Spoiler:
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Return to “Gaming”