EVE Online

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Gunfingers

Re: EVE Online

Postby Gunfingers » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:55 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Well that's a given, but the idea I'm trying to convey is, if you want to build a ship that sells for 10M and can build the inputs, you haven't actually saved any money, because you could have sold the inputs for the sale value as it would have cost you to buy them to build the ships.

There is, however, a difference between the cost of building something and the cost of buying it. I usually go by the value of buy orders compared to the value of sell orders.

Example:

Buying all of the components to make a ship costs 10 mil
Were i to build those components and sell them on the market, i would make 7 mil
Thus, by this metric, i save three mil by buying the components myself.

'Course if you pull a "price is right" and put up buy orders for .01 isk more than the highest in the region you can possibly get the components for "buy" price. I'm also ignoring time taken to produce components, though as you mentioned, isk/hr is important.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:06 pm UTC

There is a discrepancy between buy and sell orders. You can certainly lower your overhead by gathering your inputs by setting up buy orders, which are always lower in value then the sell orders. So if trit sells at 4.33 in Jita, you can likely set up a buy order for trit at 4.22 and have it filled in a day. That will reduce costs

Gunfingers wrote:Buying all of the components to make a ship costs 10 mil
Were i to build those components and sell them on the market, i would make 7 mil
Thus, by this metric, i save three mil by buying the components myself.

No dude, you have NOT saved three mil!

You can either:
1) Buy the components to build a ship. This will cost you the value of the components at market price.
2) Build the components to build the ship. This will cost you the value of the composites at market price, and leave you with components. You can then, either sell the components for profit (Which would give you ISK) or use the components to build a ship. If you use the components to build the ship, the money you would have made in profits from selling those components is attributed to the building of the ship, and is thus a cost of building the ship.

Look, another example:
A shuttle costs 2500 trit to build. I can buy 2,500 trit at 4 isk per, which costs 10,000 isk. Or, I can go mine veldspar and pull in 2,500 trit. If I use the 2,500 trit to build my shuttle, is the shuttle free? No. It cost me 10,000 isk, because that is the value of the trit. This holds true for building everything. You must factor in the loss of profit from selling your inputs when you build things. You do NOT save ISK building your own inputs. Ever.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:04 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Look, another example:
A shuttle costs 2500 trit to build. I can buy 2,500 trit at 4 isk per, which costs 10,000 isk. Or, I can go mine veldspar and pull in 2,500 trit. If I use the 2,500 trit to build my shuttle, is the shuttle free? No. It cost me 10,000 isk, because that is the value of the trit. This holds true for building everything. You must factor in the loss of profit from selling your inputs when you build things. You do NOT save ISK building your own inputs. Ever.

That's patently untrue. You're ignoring overhead of shipping the product, just off the top of my head. If I have to buy all of my supplies in Jita, but my manufacturing is out in Scalding Pass, I'm wasting tons of money (time) (possibly literally with jump fuel) to get my bought products out to Scalding Pass. If I mine out there (reprocess loot), I'm saving money. Consider also the costs of selling on market. Perhaps a particular intermediate part sells poorly. You may have a buy order up forever with no one selling to you, or possibly no reasonable sell orders (where therefore your "potential sell point" is unknown or possibly not there), that is, you make more money more reliably quicker with just making that part yourself than trying to get it off market.

I'm not even going to touch a self-contained manufacturing system like the larger 0.0 alliances have.
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:30 am UTC

I said earlier that one of the conditions for building your own inputs was when they weren't available where you are.

Izawwlgood wrote:The only time it's worthwhile building your own inputs is when where you are building doesn't have what you need
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:02 pm UTC

The real measure here is ISK/hour. Because if you're using your build jobs to create components and not ships, presumably that adds a huge increase to the "hour" variable in ISK/hour.

Look at it like this:

Guy A buys everything, builds 10 Cerberuses. They sell for x ISK each, generating a profit and ISK to buy more components with. Repeats.

Guy B mines minerals to build components. He builds the components to build 10 Cerberuses. He then builds the ships. They sell for x ISK each, generating the same amount of profit as the other guy, but without needing to buy new components to start the process over.

However, Guy A is on Round 2 or 3 of building Cerberuses and making a lot more cash.

I'm not sure about the time scales, but in my head, this is how it would play out. Unless you have enough alts to have a self-contained chain of production akin to big alliances, then I have to conclude it is more profitable to buy the components simply in terms of speed.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:27 pm UTC

Absolutely, in terms of speed. If I were to try and build everything in my chain, it'd add about a day and a half to my final output, for exactly the same cost/profit ratio as if I simply bought the components myself. Obviously, if the inputs aren't available at my market hub, I'd have to build them, or buy them abroad and haul them in. But if everything is available where you are, don't make the mistake of thinking building yourself lowers your overhead.

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:01 pm UTC

Changes to eWar are coming.

Some changes:

Optimal and fallout will be switched. A Falcon with faction specific jammers could have an optimal of 160 and a falloff of 40. Now inverted.

EWar ships are no longer larger/smaller versions of each other. Some get better range bonuses, some get better jam strength bonuses.

Falcons now get a hybrid turret damage and range bonus and rooks can actually carry drones now.

None of this has been implemented yet and the specifics are all subject to change. Should be interesting, though.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:29 am UTC

Sounds... interesting. I have no e-war experience, so I'm not qualified to comment.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

tron1point0

Postby tron1point0 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:59 am UTC

Aww, no more sitting 200km from FFA1 and jamming everyone anymore. Looks like it's just a boost to Rooks, as I could permajam most anything in the old Falcons (relevant skills at 4). I'll have to play around a bit, but it looks like I'm going to like these changes.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:42 am UTC

That sounds pretty interesting actually. Will there be any snipajams anymore?

tron1point0

Postby tron1point0 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:32 am UTC

If it's going to be balance the way I think it's going to be balanced, you can probably still be effective with an Eagle and a Falcon.

Here's hoping they'll make blasters more viable than they currently are in the next balance patch.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:43 am UTC

Protip: Null ammo is better than Void.

-X

tron1point0

Postby tron1point0 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:10 am UTC

Which negates both your tracking bonus and your dps bonus. Congrats, you have short range pulse laser that does kinetic instead of em. Faction ammo /almost/ makes up for it.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:17 pm UTC

Yes, Null does less than Void, but it gains you range. And pulse lasers aren't bad, so I don't mind being compared to them. And 0.75x isn't exactly negating, especially when it quadruples your range.

Null ammo does the DPS of plutonium at a range somewhere in the Iridium - Iron range. Not a bad trade-off.

-X

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:21 pm UTC

What about using the short range rail ammo? Is it javelin?

And you can use t1 ammo in t2 guns, for whatever that's worth.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:32 pm UTC

You can't put T2 rail ammo into blasters...

-X

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:37 pm UTC

I was asking about the equivalence for rails.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:20 pm UTC

Ah, yes. Javelin is the short range rail ammo.

Optimal x0.25
Tracking x0.75
Activation x1.25
Speed x0.8

The speed one stacks. Per gun. EFT test: A MWD'ing Rokh going at 783 m/s drops to 337 m/s. Hooray!

Now, that still has an optimal of 27,000m and a falloff of 30,000m. But I wouldn't want to use it.

Hey, here's a fun thought:

Alliance A fields a sniper blob. Alliance B also fields a sniper blob. Sniper blobs engage and start picking away at each other.

Alliance A warps a secondary fleet of short-range ships (Megathrons with blasters, for instance) into the middle of Alliance B's sniper blob.

What would happen?

-X

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:27 pm UTC

Other sniperfleet, already aligned, warps off leaving the one or two ships you pointed to die.they warp to a point on-grid and immediately begin taking out your short range ships before you can align. Unless you get a hictor on them, but at that point so much can make the whole op go tits-up it doesn't really matter.
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:34 pm UTC

So make the short range fleet include four or more heavy interdictors instead of just one.

-X

tron1point0

Postby tron1point0 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:29 pm UTC

Xaddak wrote:And pulse lasers aren't bad, so I don't mind being compared to them. And 0.75x isn't exactly negating, especially when it quadruples your range.

My point was that blasters are supposed to be the "Oh me yarm Oh getting raped in the face with a retractable dps baton" guns, yet here we are trying to get them to measure up to pulses.

Alasseo wrote:Unless you get a hictor on them, but at that point so much can make the whole op go tits-up it doesn't really matter.

You can do the same thing with an interdictor, too, for half the cost.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:37 pm UTC

tron1point0 wrote:
Xaddak wrote:And pulse lasers aren't bad, so I don't mind being compared to them. And 0.75x isn't exactly negating, especially when it quadruples your range.

My point was that blasters are supposed to be the "Oh me yarm Oh getting raped in the face with a retractable dps baton" guns, yet here we are trying to get them to measure up to pulses.

Void ammo outdamages Conflagration, at a much shorter range. Null ammo outdamages Scorch, at a much shorter range.

I just meant that I prefer the longer range of Null ammo. I don't see why Conflagration shouldn't outdamage Null. The one failing here is that yes, Null should then outrange Conflagration and doesn't.

Blasters ARE the rape-their-face baton. But you have to get very, very close to enjoy that DPS. Just like BS railguns using Spike ammo enjoy 150km+ ranges, at the expense of very low DPS.

-X

tron1point0

Postby tron1point0 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:01 pm UTC

Sure, neutrons with void are still face-meltingly painful, but it's difficult to fit neutrons and a buffer tank that'll last you till you get in range without rigs and implants, which are annoying to lose. Everything works just fine if you have at least one friend, though, so in that respect it's balanced.

musashi1600

Postby musashi1600 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:32 am UTC

I'm planning on posting an announcement in the recruitment forum that I'd like to join a nullsec corp as a Hulk pilot (I don't own a Hulk myself although I have the skills to fly it), but I don't know if there's anything I should keep in mind beyond what the advice thread says. Help?
It's Bicycle Repair Man!

FoS

Postby FoS » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:55 pm UTC

I just started EVE this weekend and man I'm loving it.
I was a huge fan of the Elite series so this game really appeals to me.

I've just gotten myself a Destroyer and I have a Rifter I'm busy working towards turning into a PvP Ship.

Any advice for a newbie?

I've started planning out my training with Evmon and my Rifter's setup on EFT.
"...working as intended"
Oomkin Druid - Sylvanas EU

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:52 pm UTC

Join the xkcd channel. Directions in my signature.

Train the learning skills. They're boring, but once they're over with, they're over with forever and you're training as fast as you can (barring implants and remapping to match long skill plans). The short ones should be trained to V, the longer ones to IV.

Train the support skills - Engineering V, Electronics V, the capacitor skills, your tank skills (armor or shield), a few others that aren't coming to mind.

Pick something and focus on it - the beauty of EVE is that you can be a complete jack-of-all-trades and fly every ship and do well. However, that literally takes years upon years of training. Pick something you like and focus on it, instead of randomly training things. How I make my skill plans in EVEMon is I pick a ship I like. I add it to the skill plan. I then make a build for it in EFT and add everything I need to use any of those modules that I can't already use and any skills I need to fit those modules into my CPU/PG - higher Electronics or Engineering, or Weapons Upgrades, or whatever. I then make sure I am going to be decent with those skills - for instance, I am going to be training to fly the Ishtar, which technically only requires Heavy Assault Ships I, but I am going to train it to IV just to get the extra stats out of it. Do that for a ship or three that you like the look of and you'll figure out a lot about how to use EVEMon effectively. Focusing on one thing at a time also helps you get good at a lot of things before you know it. Focus on one thing. Then another. Then another. The trick to becoming a jack-of-all-trades in EVE is to take it one thing at a time, not to train up everything all at once.

Play around in EFT a lot. Bored? EFT it up. Granted, it is just theorycrafting, but EFT is a very good program. You can learn a lot about what modules do what and how to make working builds by talking to people and messing around in EFT. Also, since EFT doesn't have text descriptions of modules, you may want to cross-reference with EVEMon to see exactly what it says it ought to be doing. Also, manually editing your character in EFT to match where you WILL be after you finish a skill plan is a good way to get a measure of how effective you'll be, and you can always click the "Quick Import" button again to reset your character back to where it really is.

Oh, and I forgot to mention this earlier in the post, but join the xkcd channel. Directions in my signature.

(Sorry about that, but it seems like far fewer people are in the xkcd channel than the number of people who post in here.)

-X

tron1point0

Postby tron1point0 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:32 pm UTC

If you're doing pvp, don't bother with the certificates. Some of them have a few useless skills that you need for elite that you won't ever use (Interceptor pilot needs multitasking 3? Really?) They're a good guide, but should by no means be followed religiously.

Join the xkcd channel. Directions in Xaddak's signature.

Don't worry about not having enough sps to be useful. We've won some battles because our industrial players decided they wanted some action and brought along their t1-fit condors.

Don't worry about not having enough sps to be useful. The miners can always use more output, even if it's a fraction of what the hulks are pulling in. Plus, with Orca bonii, you can mine fairly well in a Bantam. One mining op, my industrial alt was there in her hulk and my combat main was there in a tormentor :P.

EDIT: Remove your CSPA charge. We don't care about the ISK, it's just that damned extra click. Directions are somewhere on the Eve-o fora.

Rant:
Spoiler:
Don't be an ass. Everyone hates an ass. Also, don't be a pansy if you're in a combat wing. It's really annoying to say "jump" and have someone go, "But my ship'll get blowed up." We know your ship might get a flying penis (Deimos) in its ass, but what's the point in fighting if you're too scared to engage? For that matter, as long as your fc is reasonable, just follow orders. If you have an objection, voice it once. We heard you the first time, and it didn't change our decision, so stop clogging comms.

... sorry, I just lost us 3 ships because of one scared Phobos pilot.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:38 pm UTC

I think the don't be an ass comment is clutch (so is joining the xkcd channel, it's bitchin'): Most pvp games have plenty of death, and the only penalty is a brief time out. There's no real setback, no loss of xp or gear.

Not eve. You die in Eve, you've lost a ship, a ship that cost money, money that took time to raise. Maybe, maybe, if you aren't prepared and jump right back into action without insuring yourself, you'll die again, and this time you'll actually lose xp, time that you spent training your character.

So get used to it. Enjoy the thrill of combat, enjoy the knowledge that death carries a real cost. It is a cost, but it's just ISK. You'll make more. You'll learn. It's fun! Weee, asplodo!

The thing I really hate in EvE is people who sit in local and brag about shit. "I tanked eight battleships in my abaddon hull tank!" or "I took down an entire fleet with my leet skillz!". Shut up. You didn't. I don't care. I'm sure your fleet had NO contribution. I'm sure you somehow figured out a combination of fittings and raw piloting talent that makes you invulnerable.
/rant

tron1point0

Postby tron1point0 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:50 pm UTC

Well, there was that time on Sisi when we tanked multiple dreads in a Tengu...

Protip: don't listen to local, especially in crowded systems. Triple for Jita. Yes, don't listen three times over in Jita. Trust me, it'll save your sanity.

Coin

Postby Coin » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:35 pm UTC

Xaddak wrote:Train the learning skills. They're boring, but once they're over with, they're over with forever and you're training as fast as you can (barring implants and remapping to match long skill plans). The short ones should be trained to V, the longer ones to IV.

Note: This is only true after you've completed the trail and/or actually decided that you want to play the game long time. Use the EVEMon to plan your early skills during the trial; it will include any learning skills that will be useful to you early on.
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:05 am UTC

tron1point0 wrote:EDIT: Remove your CSPA charge. We don't care about the ISK, it's just that damned extra click. Directions are somewhere on the Eve-o fora.

Directions for removal of the CSPA charge:
Open the EVEmail window. Right click on the Inbox tab. Select "Settings", then change "Default Access" to Allowed (instead of CSPA Controlled Messaging), or set the CSPA charge to 0 (they both have the same effect).

Coin wrote:
Note: This is only true after you've completed the trail and/or actually decided that you want to play the game long time. Use the EVEMon to plan your early skills during the trial; it will include any learning skills that will be useful to you early on.

Actually, not so much. Well, of course you should train "fun" skills if you're undecided, but if you have made your decision then keep this in mind: The 100% training speed bonus means that you get a much faster return on time invested in learning skills, but only if you train them in the first 1.6 million SP. You can put them off, but its going to hurt twice as much if you do (and keep playing).
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

tron1point0

Postby tron1point0 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:35 am UTC

Conveniently, training the learning skills to 5/4 is about 1.6m sps.

Someone's probably already figured out the optimal way to train the learning skills (The tier 1 skills are all Mem/Int, so changing your attributes to max out Mem, then max out Int would give you the fastest training time for them.), I just can't be arsed to find it.

For that matter, Cybernetics 1 should be easy to get, too.

(I'd actually forgotten about the training speed bonus. When I was your age...)

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:12 am UTC

tron1point0 wrote:Someone's probably already figured out the optimal way to train the learning skills (The tier 1 skills are all Mem/Int, so changing your attributes to max out Mem, then max out Int would give you the fastest training time for them.), I just can't be arsed to find it.
EVEMON is your friend. :D

tron1point0

Postby tron1point0 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:02 am UTC

Xeio wrote:EVEMON is your friend. :D

Because everyone plays EVE on a Windows box.

No, you can't just drop-in replace .NET with mono... yet.

FoS

Postby FoS » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:39 am UTC

Heh, I'll join the channel when i log tonight.

I've been doing some research and I'm busy fitting my Rifter out with an Active Tank setup. I've got quite a bit of the base stuff I need, including a lucky drop of a Malkuth off some poor shmo npc.
"...working as intended"
Oomkin Druid - Sylvanas EU

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:18 pm UTC

tron1point0 wrote:
Xeio wrote:EVEMON is your friend. :D

Because everyone plays EVE on a Windows box.

No, you can't just drop-in replace .NET with mono... yet.

Then go find an equivalent. EVEMon isn't the only skill planner, it's just the best.

-X

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:58 pm UTC

evemon works perfectly fine under wine, if you're linux, and is reported to work under the equivalent for mac.

tron1point0

Postby tron1point0 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Alasseo wrote:evemon works perfectly fine under wine, if you're linux, and is reported to work under the equivalent for mac.

Instructions? Iirc, wine can't do .NET, which is required to run evemon.
Xaddak wrote:Then go find an equivalent. EVEMon isn't the only skill planner, it's just the best.

I'm currently using gtkevemon. It has basic skill planning functionality,but it doesn't do attribute remaps yet, and will probably break as soon as CCP changes the current skill api. I should go submit a patch...

EDIT: fixed grammar bug

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:13 pm UTC

hurr, I was thinking of eft. I, uh, haven't needed to use evemon for years.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:20 pm UTC

Why not? O.o

I have a 611 day long skill plan. I intend to use EVEMon for a long, long time.

-X

Return to “Gaming”