EVE Online

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
FoS
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:46 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby FoS » Wed May 27, 2009 11:15 am UTC

I'm running a Wolf at the mo.
I can fly Battlecruisers and Battleships but quite frankly I find big ship combat a complete yawn.

I'm running almost all Tech 2 modules so I'm busy focusing on skills to make my Wolf even more of an unholy terror.
I should have Hull Upgrades 5 soon and then I'll focus on Weapon Upgrades and Advanced Weapon Upgrades so I can switch my 150mm II's for 200mm II's.
Apart from that I'm maxing my Armour resistances and damage output so my Small Autocannon Specialisation, Surgical Strike, etc are all either Rank 5 or close to it.
"...working as intended"
Oomkin Druid - Sylvanas EU

Xaddak
Posts: 1158
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:28 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Xaddak » Wed May 27, 2009 1:28 pm UTC

tron1point0 wrote:You want salvage tackles, not cargo optimizations. And try t2 salvagers and a mwd.


Noooo... YOU want that. I want exactly what I posted. =P

FoS wrote:I can fly Battlecruisers and Battleships but quite frankly I find big ship combat a complete yawn.


THIS. I am also planning on specializing in sub-battleship classes, mostly T2 cruisers along with command ships. I CAN fly the Gallente BSes, but I'm not very fond of them. With my current skill plan, I am planning on training up the Amarr BSes for possible fleet combat in the future. We'll see if that happens, too much other stuff to train first.

My biggest exception to this is my plan to have a carrier/momship alt account.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: EVE Online

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed May 27, 2009 2:51 pm UTC

Larger ships just mean more greater depth of general fits and stronger specific fits. A domi is like one of those half foot thick Swiss army knives that will patch a canoe, weave a cloak, repair downed powerlines, and cook eggs (all at once), while a Vexor might only have tweezers and scissors.

The higher up the ladder you go, the more support is needed to really keep everyone safe, but the more you can take down. A well fit BS can take out a buncha cruisers. I agree, smaller ships are generally more fun, and most of the appeal to flying larger ships is the same desire that makes us stare at construction yards and dream of swinging the wrecking ball. But don't discount anything ;)
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist
Posts: 3446
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:06 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: EVE Online

Postby Toeofdoom » Wed May 27, 2009 3:50 pm UTC

Reminds me of the time my thorax came up against a geddon, cane and mega. I don't think the mega got a chance to shoot me. However we had just killed a hilarious myrm fit afk on the warp-in for 0.4 belt (it wasn't bait either, or the gang would've arrived sooner).

In fact, I'll share:
Spoiler:
Destroyed: Myrmidon
System: Amamake
Security: 0.4
Damage Taken: 10311
Destroyed items:

Projectile Collision Accelerator I
Miner I, Qty: 2
Survey Scanner II
Expanded Cargohold I
Capacitor Control Circuit I
Hammerhead I (Drone Bay)
Core Defence Field Purger I

Dropped items:

Miner I, Qty: 4
Expanded Cargohold I, Qty: 5
Hammerhead I, Qty: 5 (Drone Bay)
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: EVE Online

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed May 27, 2009 3:57 pm UTC

I used to mine in a myrmidon, when it had the huge drone bay.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

nsmjohn
Posts: 580
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:42 pm UTC
Location: California

Re: EVE Online

Postby nsmjohn » Wed May 27, 2009 4:56 pm UTC

FoS wrote:I'm running a Wolf at the mo.
I can fly Battlecruisers and Battleships but quite frankly I find big ship combat a complete yawn.

I'm running almost all Tech 2 modules so I'm busy focusing on skills to make my Wolf even more of an unholy terror.
I should have Hull Upgrades 5 soon and then I'll focus on Weapon Upgrades and Advanced Weapon Upgrades so I can switch my 150mm II's for 200mm II's.
Apart from that I'm maxing my Armour resistances and damage output so my Small Autocannon Specialisation, Surgical Strike, etc are all either Rank 5 or close to it.

I'm only tech I on a Rifter (less than a month playing). Something to note, you don't need Advanced Weapon Upgrades to fit 200mm II's. Edit: Just checked the item database for the skills. You must have a tight fit and are trying to squeeze something on.

I am moving towards maximizing the terror that is my set-up before even training BC's or Tech II ships. Of the 1.6m skill points I have, half are in gunnery. I have every non-weapon specific gunnery skill. Need to work on my missile skills something fierce though...
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.


Xaddak
Posts: 1158
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:28 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Xaddak » Wed May 27, 2009 5:07 pm UTC

nsmjohn wrote:
FoS wrote:I'm running a Wolf at the mo.
I can fly Battlecruisers and Battleships but quite frankly I find big ship combat a complete yawn.

I'm running almost all Tech 2 modules so I'm busy focusing on skills to make my Wolf even more of an unholy terror.
I should have Hull Upgrades 5 soon and then I'll focus on Weapon Upgrades and Advanced Weapon Upgrades so I can switch my 150mm II's for 200mm II's.
Apart from that I'm maxing my Armour resistances and damage output so my Small Autocannon Specialisation, Surgical Strike, etc are all either Rank 5 or close to it.

I'm only tech I on a Rifter (less than a month playing). Something to note, you don't need Advanced Weapon Upgrades to fit 200mm II's. Edit: Just checked the item database for the skills. You must have a tight fit and are trying to squeeze something on.

I am moving towards maximizing the terror that is my set-up before even training BC's or Tech II ships. Of the 1.6m skill points I have, half are in gunnery. I have every non-weapon specific gunnery skill. Need to work on my missile skills something fierce though...


You'll do better to focus on one or the other.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: EVE Online

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed May 27, 2009 5:26 pm UTC

Well, from cruisers, BC's aren't much of a jump to train, and a Brutix/Myrmidon is WAAAAAAY better/cooler then a Thorax/Vexor. That said, Command Ships are another month on top of HACs.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Xaddak
Posts: 1158
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:28 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Xaddak » Wed May 27, 2009 5:48 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Well, from cruisers, BC's aren't much of a jump to train, and a Brutix/Myrmidon is WAAAAAAY better/cooler then a Thorax/Vexor. That said, Command Ships are another month on top of HACs.


Let alone gang assist modules.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: EVE Online

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed May 27, 2009 5:59 pm UTC

8 more days till Link Specialty 5. Armor, Info, Siege and Mining director's are all at 5.

I'm a space bard.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Xaddak
Posts: 1158
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:28 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Xaddak » Wed May 27, 2009 6:19 pm UTC

I'll be there soon enough.

You know, in like two years.

I cut the Amarr BSes and lasers out of my skill plan, and put in T2 large hybrids. Saved me about 60 days. I guess I can fly a Megathron or Hyperion in fleet combat if it ever comes to it.

But yeah, my "Total" skillplan that is a merge of 16 other skillplans is two years long. Slightly more, actually. The last skill in it, Fleet Command IV, will finish in August of 2011 at this rate. Of course, I don't have any implants, but whatever. A set of +4s would save me 5 months, but I can't afford them.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

User avatar
Alasseo
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:25 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Alasseo » Thu May 28, 2009 3:53 am UTC

+4s are so cheap it's stupid.

Also, I have 42m sp, can't fly BC or BS, can only fly minmatar t1/t2 cruisers/frigates, can't fly hound, scimi, thrasher, or sabre. (will be picking up thrasher/sabre in a few months)

I have yet to run out of fun.
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

Xaddak
Posts: 1158
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:28 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Xaddak » Thu May 28, 2009 8:02 am UTC

Alasseo wrote:+4s are so cheap it's stupid.


Yet I can't afford them.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

User avatar
FoS
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:46 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby FoS » Thu May 28, 2009 10:25 am UTC

nsmjohn wrote:I'm only tech I on a Rifter (less than a month playing). Something to note, you don't need Advanced Weapon Upgrades to fit 200mm II's. Edit: Just checked the item database for the skills. You must have a tight fit and are trying to squeeze something on.

I am moving towards maximizing the terror that is my set-up before even training BC's or Tech II ships. Of the 1.6m skill points I have, half are in gunnery. I have every non-weapon specific gunnery skill. Need to work on my missile skills something fierce though...


Yeah my fit is very tight but you are also correct. I checked this morning and I just need 1 Rank of Weapon Upgrades to switch out all my 150's.

It's training as I type :D
"...working as intended"
Oomkin Druid - Sylvanas EU

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: EVE Online

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu May 28, 2009 1:15 pm UTC

Alasseo wrote:+4s are so cheap it's stupid.

Also, I have 42m sp, can't fly BC or BS, can only fly minmatar t1/t2 cruisers/frigates, can't fly hound, scimi, thrasher, or sabre. (will be picking up thrasher/sabre in a few months)

I have yet to run out of fun.


What else did you sink 42m skpts into, because it can't be all combat.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
Alasseo
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:25 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Alasseo » Thu May 28, 2009 11:13 pm UTC

It can't? That's odd.
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

Xaddak
Posts: 1158
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:28 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Xaddak » Fri May 29, 2009 12:06 am UTC

I'm sure it could be, if you trained pretty much everything to V.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

User avatar
Sir_Elderberry
Posts: 4206
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:50 pm UTC
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Contact:

Re: EVE Online

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:40 pm UTC

Hey guys, I'm downloading EVE right now for the trial, and I may extend it depending on how I feel after the two weeks. I just wanted to ask a few questions of xkcd's EVE community. First of all, most MMOs I've played in the past have had separate servers and such, so it'd be nice if you guys would mind saying which one had the most xkcd people, if EVE operates similarly.

Second, how easy is it to go back and fix mistakes you made with your character in the past? Like, in WoW, it helps to have a good idea where you want to put your talents as you level up, but it's honestly not that big of a deal to change them. Is EVE the kind of thing where I'll want to have a very clear idea of where I'm headed?

Actually, I imagine that like with most games, it's playable without assistance but that might not necessarily be the best way to tackle it. Is there a good website with advice on the directions you can take a new character? Or just basic guides?
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

User avatar
Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist
Posts: 3446
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:06 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: EVE Online

Postby Toeofdoom » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:17 pm UTC

Eve has one server. That's part of what makes it unique. It regularly has over 50000 people on it, I believe. We're all on that one.

The main thing about your character that's semi permanent is your set of attributes, which determine how fast different types of skills train. They used to be unchangable but now you get to change them once each year, and learn a bit about the game before you set them. They're a little harder to change than talents, but not much

As for the skills, you can train any skill you want, there are no classes. It's a good idea to train some learning skills early on if you plan to continue playing, because they make you train much faster in the long run. If theres a skill you should've trained but didn't, you just go and train it now.

You'll probably start by focusing one races ships although you can cross train, so it would be a good idea to see which ones you like the combat style (if you're interested in fighting) and look of.

I don't know of any particularly good guides but after a quick google this one didn't look too bad:
http://hammer-eve.blogspot.com/2007/05/ ... amers.html
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

User avatar
Sir_Elderberry
Posts: 4206
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:50 pm UTC
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Contact:

Re: EVE Online

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:25 pm UTC

Hmm. Alright. It seems like if you make a bad decision, the thing you waste mostly is your time, so I'll just kind of explore for now, although try and focus on one thing.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

User avatar
Alasseo
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:25 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Alasseo » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:59 pm UTC

That's the one thing you have to remember about Eve: with time anything can be accomplished. It's a matter of how much time. In theory, you could yes, build your own supercaps. Wouldn't be easy, but with enough time, you could (just set up dozens of pos all over and switch them all to claim sov in different places at once, though I wouldn't like to be doing your logistics). However, this really makes time=money. It's simply a matter of deciding what you're willing to pay (in either). Anything you can pay for in time you can pay for in money, and vise-versa. (yes, including skills. you can sell your characters for the ingame currency. You can also buy or sell 30days of subscription for ingame currency)
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: EVE Online

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:46 pm UTC

Alasseo wrote:(yes, including skills. you can sell your characters for the ingame currency.


wait, you can? How, i'm interested in offloading some old industrial characters.

EDIT: First cap fleet battle going down in about 45m.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
Alasseo
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:25 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Alasseo » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:49 am UTC

Forums. character bazzar.
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

User avatar
Cynical Idealist
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:48 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Cynical Idealist » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:02 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:Actually, I imagine that like with most games, it's playable without assistance but that might not necessarily be the best way to tackle it. Is there a good website with advice on the directions you can take a new character? Or just basic guides?


I got a friend into EVE recently, so I'll give you the same advice (plus experience gained from going through it with him) that I gave him.

Number one thing: do the tutorials. Seriously, do them. Yes, they start out boring, but they give you skillbooks, items, and (in the case of the introductory mission arcs) free ships! If you have the time, I *strongly* recommend doing all three of the introductory mission arcs (available from the "career funnel" screen that pops up when you finish the tutorial, or by pressing f12 and then the "show tutorial agents" buttons). Its about 30 missions total, but it will give you an introduction to a decent cross-section of EVE, and some rather expensive (for a new player, at least) skills/ships.

Second: Evelopedia. Learn it, love it, use it. There's a whole set of links in the "for rookies" category, and those are useful and are guaranteed to be good info, as it can only be edited by officials (members of the volunteer program or CCP itself). Anything with the "LOCKED official page" icon on it will also be good info. That isn't to say that the rest isn't good, just that every player can edit the rest, so take that stuff with a grain of salt.

Third: The forums, and particularly EVE New Citizen's Q & A. If you have a question that you'd like a detailed answer to, and you can't find it on the wiki, ask on the forums. The new player's forum has quite a few helpful old players that hang around and answer questions (although its best to run a search first! eve-search.com works better than the built-in search).

Fourth: if you have a question while you're in game, go ahead and ask in Rookie Help. Its best to pull that into a separate window and make it big, as that scrolls fast. Everyone with an account under 30 days old is stuck in there (you can exit the channel, but you re-join upon login), so you might as well use it! There are usually some old players who help out by making trial accounts to answer questions, and anyone with special text colors is an official (and thus can be trusted). If that's too fast for you, try the regular Help channel (accessible from the f12 menu).

Fifth: Get a good corporation, as quickly as possible. It really, really helps your experience if you do that. Just trust me on this one.

Edited because I fail the URL tags
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

User avatar
Alasseo
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:25 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Alasseo » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:37 pm UTC

Tutorial and hang out in the xkcd channel. Ignore rookie help, it's worthless. newb corps aren't what they used to be anymore, either. Was a time when RMS and the gallente one (can't remember the name) had a community of helpers. Alas. Between the xkcd channel and here, you'll get the answers to any specific questions you have. and if you're on the xkcd channel when I'm in verbal diarrhea mode..
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

User avatar
hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.
Posts: 1570
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:30 pm UTC
Location: Spaceship
Contact:

Re: EVE Online

Postby hendusoone » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:49 pm UTC

Alasseo wrote:Tutorial and hang out in the xkcd channel. Ignore rookie help, it's worthless. newb corps aren't what they used to be anymore, either. Was a time when RMS and the gallente one (can't remember the name) had a community of helpers. Alas. Between the xkcd channel and here, you'll get the answers to any specific questions you have. and if you're on the xkcd channel when I'm in verbal diarrhea mode..
The Gallente one was pretty amazing, and called Federation Naval Academy. I can't speak for how good it is now, but they helped me get started with *tons* of advice and a couple free frigates, plus help running difficult missions. I was a member of it for a bit over a year, and technically still am, though my account is inactive now.

But yeah... I can't stress enough, [b]DO THE TUTORIAL[/i].
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: EVE Online

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:00 pm UTC

the non-player corps, or newb corps, are basically just holding spaces. They lack all the benefits a corp has, like progress, organization, familiar and trustworthy teammates, and at least partially shared assets.

It's sort of like the difference between trying to form a community on xkcd, vs trying to form a community by just sending random messages out into the nethers of the internet.

If you want to get the 'eve experience' of working with a team and building towards something, join a corp.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
Gunfingers
Posts: 2401
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 7:15 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Gunfingers » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:55 pm UTC

Speaking of corps, y'know what's hard to find? A good 0.0 corp. Twice i've tried, and twice it turned out to be a waste of time.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: EVE Online

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:19 pm UTC

I agree. It's because the overarching superpolitics of eve often just clash I think. The corp Xaddak and Durandel are in has been pretty happily chugging along in a constellation of 0.0, putting up towers and such, but this last weekend a slightly larger corp put a bunch of our POSs in reinforced, and our defense didn't go very well. Something like three carriers and one dread destroyed for us, and two dreads and three carriers for them, as well as a hodgepodge of BSs and smaller ships.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
Durandal
Posts: 659
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:12 am UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Durandal » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:55 pm UTC

Okay. So here's the deal.

I'm going to start up my account again, but just to incubate my character - learn skills and such, not actually play. I can't really afford the time commitment with university, and I'm very good at getting addicted to things. So if you guys see me online for any long period of time, tell me to GTFO :P

Xaddak
Posts: 1158
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:28 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Xaddak » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:35 pm UTC

Durandal wrote:Okay. So here's the deal.

I'm going to start up my account again, but just to incubate my character - learn skills and such, not actually play. I can't really afford the time commitment with university, and I'm very good at getting addicted to things. So if you guys see me online for any long period of time, tell me to GTFO :P


o7

That's more or less how I play right now. I just log on every now and then to see if anything is going on (there usually isn't).
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

tron1point0
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:05 pm UTC
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: EVE Online

Postby tron1point0 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:19 pm UTC

Xaddak wrote:
Durandal wrote:Okay. So here's the deal.

I'm going to start up my account again, but just to incubate my character - learn skills and such, not actually play. I can't really afford the time commitment with university, and I'm very good at getting addicted to things. So if you guys see me online for any long period of time, tell me to GTFO :P


o7

That's more or less how I play right now. I just log on every now and then to see if anything is going on (there usually isn't).

I think I know why you lost...

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: EVE Online

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:28 pm UTC

xaddak lost?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

tron1point0
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:05 pm UTC
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: EVE Online

Postby tron1point0 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:42 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:our defense didn't go very well.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: EVE Online

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:44 pm UTC

xaddak isn't a carrier pilot.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
Sir_Elderberry
Posts: 4206
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:50 pm UTC
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Contact:

Re: EVE Online

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:01 am UTC

So I go to play today, except I'm at a new location so I must install again. Problem is, that's a mighty big 2gb download to do with the setup file the website gives you. Now, before I left my other computer, I copied the C:/Program Files/CCP/EVE folder, hoping that it'd work if I just pasted it into the hard drive (hey, works with WoW.) It doesn't. My next hope was that if I left it there and started the "real" install, it would immediately recognize that it had all the files and skip the downloading. It isn't. Given the materials I have, is there anyway to speed up the process?
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

User avatar
Durandal
Posts: 659
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:12 am UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Durandal » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:36 am UTC

Add something to the program registry? That's just a hunch, I've never tried anything like that so I wouldn't know how to go about it.

To actually get to the registry, search 'regedit'.

User avatar
Cynical Idealist
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:48 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Cynical Idealist » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:20 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:So I go to play today, except I'm at a new location so I must install again. Problem is, that's a mighty big 2gb download to do with the setup file the website gives you. Now, before I left my other computer, I copied the C:/Program Files/CCP/EVE folder, hoping that it'd work if I just pasted it into the hard drive (hey, works with WoW.) It doesn't. My next hope was that if I left it there and started the "real" install, it would immediately recognize that it had all the files and skip the downloading. It isn't. Given the materials I have, is there anyway to speed up the process?


Hmm, I'm not sure. Copying the folder should work...at least, it works to let me make multiple installations on one machine (useful for different settings for different accounts).
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

User avatar
Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist
Posts: 3446
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:06 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: EVE Online

Postby Toeofdoom » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:57 am UTC

There's definitely registry entries or something. If you had a really old version of eve installed I think you could copy what you have over that, but that's about it I think.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

User avatar
Sir_Elderberry
Posts: 4206
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:50 pm UTC
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Contact:

Re: EVE Online

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:05 pm UTC

I just started the download. By the time I get back from work, the ten hours it takes to download will be mostly done.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.


Return to “Gaming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 14 guests