EVE Online

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SlyReaper
inflatable

Re: EVE Online

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:11 am UTC

halbarad wrote:Clear Skies 3 is out now. Should be good but download is 2GB. Haven't started downloading it yet though.

I DID NOT KNOW THIS!

Must remember to download this when I get home. Must remember. Must remember.

*sends email to home email account*
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:42 pm UTC

Yeah Recons definitely have their role. 95km point range Arazus are hysterical. Armor Proteuses and Lokis are more suitable for armor hac or Abaddon fleets than any of the recons though and that's generally where they surpass their Recon cousins.

Edit

CS3 is awesome, def. worth the 2gig d/l.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:09 am UTC

I need to start working with capital fleets more often so I can use ol' John Rourke's line there.

Also, I always wondered, where are their accents from? It sounds kind of British, but also kind of not. Possibly because there are dozens of different British accents.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

Scallel
Location: Guarded by a dragon, within a volcano, surrounded by spikes. And in the center some lovely begonias.

Postby Scallel » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:23 am UTC

Hey. Wow player here. So Ive been playing wow since about 2008(?) id say and loved it. Had a guild that I genuinely felt was my family and found myself getting lost in the story as I played. Bought Cata and leveled up to 85 in a week. Did as many heroics as i could then stopped playing for a bit cause no one else in my guild could do the raids. The reason im on the EVE board is because recently my dad (I'm 16 in the US) stopped paying my WoW subscription. I wanted to argue him and get him to pay for it again ( i may be a touch spoiled) but then i realized: Its been months since Ive played it. Between me discovering the glorious bargain that is Steam ( to someone that has only known about the computer games sold at Walmart) and Minecraft, Starcraft, etc, I just haven't gotten on.
Now Ive known about EVE for awhile and always brushed it off cause hey I'm not gonna pay for 2 MMO's. But lately Ive been hearing good stuff about it and honestly it sounds like the kind of complexity that I tend to enjoy (for some almost masochistic reason.) Plus the idea of scamming people and being applauded for such things, appeals to my more evil sides.
But before I buy the game I'm gonna ask the kind people of these forums for any tips, secrets, idea, or any other useful bits of knowledge for a new player. Because in the words of my favorite cynical Brit "The problem with EVE is that it has a learning curve like a cliff. With spikes. Covered in snow." And also Ive read that there are corporations in EVE, similar to WoW's guilds, and was wondering if any would take me and show me the ropes as well as point out the "Stay away from these people".

-Yays and Thank Yous
Scallel
P.S.- Apologies for any problems in grammar or if it was too long.
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:56 am UTC

Get someone to send you a buddy invite, and you'll get your first 21 days of playtime free, plus that person will get a PLEX after you subscribe, and should give you 200-300 million isk for that (this may become your first introduction to scamming).

Don't join EVE Uni. Never run a level 4 mission. After you can run level 3s, be training more cruiser/battlecruiser skills that you'll need in pvp, rather than large weapons and battleships.

That's about the limit of my newbie advice.
EVE Online: Daesis Wrack
Starcraft 2 (US): CosmicOsmo #465
Anarchy Online (RK2): Azzamis

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:12 am UTC

Swivelguy wrote:
Don't join EVE Uni. Never run a level 4 mission. After you can run level 3s, be training more cruiser/battlecruiser skills that you'll need in pvp, rather than large weapons and battleships.

Ill agree on dont join eve uni, but you can blitz level 4s in a drake and make 200M per hour. (Although to be fair, this requires enough faction standings to decline most missions, and you have to do it in lowsec)

----------------------

A corpmate found 2 offline poses in a WH, we popped their mods. They drop around 2B in loot.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:54 am UTC

Spread out, try everything.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Kulantan

Postby Kulantan » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:11 am UTC

Except hauling trade goods worth 70% of your assets through null sec in an Iteron Mrk IV. I can recommend against that.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

phlip wrote:(Scholars believe it is lost to time exactly which search engine Columbus preferred... though they are reasonably sure that he was an avid user of Apple Maps.)

Blog.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:44 am UTC

He's lying, do that. And do it somewhere near me.
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:51 am UTC

Kulantan wrote:Except hauling trade goods worth 70% of your assets through null sec in an Iteron Mrk IV. I can recommend against that.

This falls under "don't fly what you can't afford to lose", which applies extra hard in low/nullsec. Speaking of which: don't fly what you can't afford to lose and replace. Just don't.

Oh, and about getting help: having an experienced player there to answer all your questions is ideal, but if you can't make that work, ask in the Help channels. I'd suggest Help over Rookie Help, since Rookie Help tends to move much faster and it's easy for helpful people to miss questions and for the askers to miss responses. Rookie Help can have good advice, though, as certain experienced players have been known to make trial accounts to regain access to the channel. Also there are ISD people on at times, you can recognize them by the colored text, and they're more active in Rookie Help than Help.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

halbarad

Postby halbarad » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:49 am UTC

Swivelguy wrote:Get someone to send you a buddy invite, and you'll get your first 21 days of playtime free, plus that person will get a PLEX after you subscribe, and should give you 200-300 million isk for that (this may become your first introduction to scamming).

With this in mind, if the player who gives you a buddy invite sends you a PLEX you can get an extra 30 days "free" game time with that and the other player will get their PLEX back.

I'd echo a lot of what is mentioned here, finding a good corp is tough though there are many out there willing to help new players. If you want to make good money then you can give ninja salvaging a go, though it's not as good as it used to be but better money than you'll get in level 1 and 2 missions.

Ask here if you want a buddy invite and I'm sure you'll get one pretty quickly. Join the xkcd channel if you do join up and there are usually people there who can also give some useful help if you need it.

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:53 pm UTC

halbarad wrote:With this in mind, if the player who gives you a buddy invite sends you a PLEX you can get an extra 30 days "free" game time with that and the other player will get their PLEX back.

Hm, yes, the established player should definitely be the one trusting the (purported) newbie with his 400 mil. Like I said, trading a buddy invite for isk is a wonderful introduction to scamming in EVE.

halbarad

Postby halbarad » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:06 pm UTC

Swivelguy wrote:
halbarad wrote:With this in mind, if the player who gives you a buddy invite sends you a PLEX you can get an extra 30 days "free" game time with that and the other player will get their PLEX back.

Hm, yes, the established player should definitely be the one trusting the (purported) newbie with his 400 mil. Like I said, trading a buddy invite for isk is a wonderful introduction to scamming in EVE.

Or you can do it the other way, have the established player set up the account and trade the plex to a new char on it (no need to have a useful name or the like) and activate the account. New player gets their account and logs in and creates the character they actually want (resetting the password of course).

Pretty much treating it like a 51 day trial. I heard a few people did this a bunch of times so they could hand them out to a few people that wanted to try the game.

Robot_Raptor

Postby Robot_Raptor » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:06 pm UTC

Anyone watching the NC, CFC, DRF shenanigans with glee?

here's two relevant pieces of test propaganda that make me happy.
Spoiler:

and
Spoiler:

For those not in the know, Middle Management Dino is our logo/mascot.

---

halbarad wrote:[snip] Pretty much treating it like a 51 day trial. I heard a few people did this a bunch of times so they could hand them out to a few people that wanted to try the game.

Heh, for a while a few people (myself included) set up 51 day accounts every month, and used those to get into missioning corps, and gain their trust before killing and ransoming their best ships. Not a bad take from those shenanigans if I recall.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:52 pm UTC

Robot_Raptor wrote:Anyone watching the NC, CFC, DRF shenanigans with glee?

here's two relevant pieces of test propaganda that make me happy.
Spoiler:

and
Spoiler:

For those not in the know, Middle Management Dino is our logo/mascot.

---

halbarad wrote:[snip] Pretty much treating it like a 51 day trial. I heard a few people did this a bunch of times so they could hand them out to a few people that wanted to try the game.

Heh, for a while a few people (myself included) set up 51 day accounts every month, and used those to get into missioning corps, and gain their trust before killing and ransoming their best ships. Not a bad take from those shenanigans if I recall.

Confirming I am on the winning side of the Tribute/NC rapecage and it is very very entertaining to say the least. And no I'm not Russian.

@ Scallel - Hit up the XKCD channel sometime if you decide to play. I'll be more than happy to help you along with some insights and ideas. Or you can PM me here if you'd like.

halbarad

Postby halbarad » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:21 pm UTC

Robot_Raptor wrote:

I've done a bit of ninja salvaging but never thought of doing this. What's your prefered ship for this? With only 51 days of available training I'd guess a Rupture would be a good choice for the good dps, selectable damage and neuts.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:30 pm UTC

T1 Torps + neuts on a Raven would easily be doable within 51 days. Easily.

If my mission boats ever died to a Rupture I'd be super pissed.

Robot_Raptor

Postby Robot_Raptor » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:34 pm UTC

halbarad wrote:I've done a bit of ninja salvaging but never thought of doing this. What's your prefered ship for this? With only 51 days of available training I'd guess a Rupture would be a good choice for the good dps, selectable damage and neuts.

We usually had a team of 1 tackler, and 2 maelstroms or megathrons, 1 neutral rep, and one neutral gankship.

the tackler is set up to catch the pod too after we pop the main ship.

Usually we had 3 - 6 accounts in the target corp, if 6 or so, we were usually able to take out 2 people simultaneously.

And we usually had 2 baby accounts at any point in time, so we were able to do this about twice a month. One corp we play for a month or so, and the other for two odd weeks before striking. Since you're trashing the accounts anyway, there's no reason to honor ransoms.

Also, the tears on voice comms are delicious. :twisted: there's nothing quite like laughing in someone's face when they're whining at you about how they don't deserve this.

Scallel
Location: Guarded by a dragon, within a volcano, surrounded by spikes. And in the center some lovely begonias.

Postby Scallel » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:26 am UTC

So im now on EVE. Bought it today and setting it to download as i sleep. Any last words before I venture into this world? /how do i get onto the xkcd channel?
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

Robot_Raptor

Postby Robot_Raptor » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:48 am UTC

Scallel wrote:So im now on EVE. Bought it today and setting it to download as i sleep. Any last words before I venture into this world? /how do i get onto the xkcd channel?

You're gonna die.

A lot.

Get used to it.

Also, eve university is a good choice of first corp, they'll teach you the ropes in a safe environment.

Scallel

Postby Scallel » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:04 am UTC

Other people have said dont join EVE uni?
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:01 am UTC

EVE Uni teaches you how to fly in a giant blob of otherwise ineffective ships, and how to hide in a station while wardecced. Join a corp that's focused on having fun, not on minimizing the "isk lost" statistic on their killboard.

Everything EVE Uni would teach you in their "classes" you can learn by reading wiki pages in a few hours. EVE's baseline mechanics are not actually that complicated.

halbarad

Postby halbarad » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:40 am UTC

Swivelguy wrote:Everything EVE Uni would teach you in their "classes" you can learn by reading wiki pages in a few hours. EVE's baseline mechanics are not actually that complicated.

Their classes are also available on their Wiki and a lot of them are worth a listen. Back when I started I listened to a lot of them while travelling to and from work. Their Wiki also has a lot of useful information.

I definitely suggest finding a corp to have fun with, and although the uni has a lot of very friendly people they get war dec'd a lot and then you have to deal with their War time rules, which are very strict.

To join the xkcd channel there is a small speech bubble icon in the top corner of the chat channel box, click that and type xkcd in the box and then click join.

Robot_Raptor wrote:
Scallel wrote:So im now on EVE. Bought it today and setting it to download as i sleep. Any last words before I venture into this world? /how do i get onto the xkcd channel?

You're gonna die.

A lot.

Seconding this. Regardless if you want to pvp or not.

RetSpline

Postby RetSpline » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:56 am UTC

Also, and you've hopefully read this a dozen times already, never ever ever ever fly anything you can't afford to replace, including ship, fittings, cargo hold, and (once you get them) implants. That's just general good advice that people (myself included, ever for a while after I stopped considering myself "new") seem to mess up far too often.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:55 pm UTC

Scallel wrote:Other people have said dont join EVE uni?

EVE uni is actually probably a good place to start if you have no idea what to do. Every corp will teach you something different so it doesn't matter much. What is nice about EVE Uni is they're a corp designed to ease the entry into the game and would probably be a good place to meet a couple of people early on. Having said that, there's tons and tons of other corps, so pick one that looks interesting and join it if EVE Uni doesn't sound like a good fit.

Also, take time to walk through the tutorials. They'll get you off to a decent start, get you into a few ships, a little bit of isk here and there, and expose you to different aspects of the game.

The hardest thing you'll have to deal with at the start, is people like us, who will talk about 15 different things you can do down the line and you're still trying to learn how to undock from the station. Don't let the barrage of information overwhelm you, and when you figure out how to get into the xkcd channel, let us know and there will probably be someone in there who's able to help you :)

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:17 am UTC

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:05 pm UTC

DUST514 will be a PS3 exclusive.

Didn't wanna play your stupid EVE FPS anyway. :(
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

halbarad

Postby halbarad » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:15 pm UTC

Mishrak wrote:http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=9872623&nolimit

Goodbye NC.

I've been following this war for a while. It's a little sad to see this happen (I'm an ex-NC pet alliance member) but I don't think it's a bad thing. Now I'm just waiting for the next war when people rise up to attack DRF and friends in their new northern home.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:46 pm UTC

It was a bit surreal killing that station really. Considering at one point they were good enough to drop 1200+ people in there to defend it and when it finally fell, there was like one MM guy in local trash talking and that was it.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:21 pm UTC

DUST only on PS3? That's a ridiculously stupid move.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

halbarad

Postby halbarad » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:01 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:DUST only on PS3? That's a ridiculously stupid move.

There are a few ideas going round FHC as to why, the main thing being that neither Sony or Microsoft want their players interacting with the other consoles gamers (though no issues with console vs pc gamers apparently). Another reason that they "chose" Sony could be to do with DLCs and the like, undoubtedly Dust will need patching after release and (apparently) anything larger than 100MB is considered a DLC by Microsoft and therefore people have to pay to get it.

I haven't been following the discussions too closely as it doesn't really interest me but these were key points I've noticed mentioned a few times.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:05 pm UTC

If the part about the DLC is true, then that's definitely the reason.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:08 pm UTC

Especially given CCP's penchant for free expansions. But I'm still annoyed it won't be available on PC.
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:11 pm UTC

Well the whole premise was to tie a console game into a PC/MAC MMO world. It was never intended to be released on the PC iirc.

Scallel

Postby Scallel » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:40 am UTC

I think im good enough to be in a Corp now.
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:45 am UTC

Scallel wrote:I think im good enough to be in a Corp now.

Amarr BS V or gtfo! (/sarcasm) What are you looking for corpwise?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:47 am UTC

Scallel wrote:I think im good enough to be in a Corp now.

That's like saying you're good enough to for for a run now. Do you mean you're ok to run a marathon, or you can jog to the corner store?

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:44 am UTC

Well tbh, regardless of what you want to do in EVE, it takes a week or two to not be hilariously ineffective at it (if it depends at all on SP)

Ortus
Fluffy

Postby Ortus » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:11 am UTC

I just got back in to EVE - I had forgotten about the XKCD channel. I will be joining that the next time I log in, for sure.

In other news: I'm flying a Drake and it is boring. The Ferox looks less boring to fly, but having to use blasters to do any decent damage at all, I don't think I'd be happy with the range. Why does the Drake have to be so good >.> My character is at 1.7mil sp, with my shield tank skills a good piece of that, and after spending maybe 45mil on my Drake I don't think there is a single l3 mission that could take me below 50% shields.

My only gripe is how slow crap seems to die... even changing missiles to the appropriate type; my Drake has been christened Dirge. Oh well, I'll get used to it. I'm joining RvB tomorrow and getting back in to frigates, so we'll see how that goes.
roband wrote:Face, yes. Chest, probably. Pubic area, maybe. Scrotum, not a fucking chance.

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:24 am UTC

If you want PvE to be faster or more interesting than a drake, go for a tengu. If you want to fly frigates in RvB, don't waste your time training caldari ones, go minmatar or gallente. These are just my opinions, of course.

Return to “Gaming”