EVE Online

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Alasseo
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:25 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Alasseo » Thu May 10, 2012 1:34 pm UTC

Laserdan wrote:I'm quite the perfectionist and completionist and very competitive - any advise on a viable path catering to these interests the best?


Eve. ;)

Also, are there tools other than EVEmon that you would consider must-have?


Once you get beyond your very basic fittings, EFT/Pyfa/EVEHQ (take your pick) is basically a requirement unless you fly with some large group that requires perfectly standardized fits (CFC et al). If you are trading, Eve Asset Manager is a must have unless you go all the way and start developing your own tools. I hear Excel also helps for this. There are a few more tools as you get more and more specialized (jump planners, a few market analysis tools), but the truth is that once you go beyond your very basic stuff, most of the really good tools are basically trade secrets, and highly customized and specialized anyways.
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

User avatar
BlackSails
Posts: 5315
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:48 am UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby BlackSails » Thu May 10, 2012 3:03 pm UTC

Alasseo wrote:Once you get beyond your very basic fittings, EFT/Pyfa/EVEHQ (take your pick) is basically a requirement unless you fly with some large group that requires perfectly standardized fits (CFC et al)


Note that the cfc fits are generally very bad

User avatar
hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.
Posts: 1570
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:30 pm UTC
Location: Spaceship
Contact:

Re: EVE Online

Postby hendusoone » Thu May 10, 2012 3:13 pm UTC

Alasseo wrote:
m4d4sb34ns wrote:
Alasseo wrote:I have to brag a little, bear with me for this.
Spoiler:
http://kb.hard-knocks.net/?a=kill_related&kll_id=1437

So we're in our tengus, running sites in our static. Like proper wormholers, we have scouts out with probes and are hitting dscan. We finish one site, and start on the first wave of number 2. Suddenly, niddy on dscan! Not wanting to get caught in a capital escalation wave with our slightly undermanned tengu fleet, we warp to home, and jump through. Our scout gets eyes on their pos, and he says there's a cloaky loki dropping probes. We figure we can try and bait the loki with a noctis salvaging the first site. Get noctis out, reship into fast dpsy stuff. Noctis reports loki on field.. +thanny on dscan.. fleet is in warp (took him forever to find our notis, too..). Sabre bubble is up... and two carriers (who started their warp before bubble went up) land right inside it.

We pop the loki, and start freaking out. Points happen. Batphoning begins. Reshipping begins. As about 2 bhalls and a guardian are coming on field, two more thannys get on grid. Batphoning begins really urgently. We're trying to cap the carriers down. Our initial bhalls run out of boosters, and we only end up with two guards, so we actually have an itty drop a load of boosters on field. We pop somewhere between 30 and 50 fighters, and lord alone knows how many drones as we're neuting down the carriers. Fast forward 40 minutes, and we have two carrier killmails, one self destructed thanny, and one thanny that got away because our point on him DCed.

All because some dumb carrier pilots decided that it'd be funny to get their carriers on a noctis kill, and warped in before they cleared their sigs and put out scouts. and then their buddies tried to save them.

I FCed the entire thing from site running on. Good times.
Roughly how long does it take to get to this sort of level, where you can dick around doing the really fun stuff? I'm about 5 weeks in (~2.2M SP), and at the stage of flying level 3 missions for one corp (CN) in a T1 fitted Drake. Haven't actually done much of this though, as I joined a corp called Pro Synergy who specialize in looting and salvaging level 4 missions on contract. I'm mostly spending time basically being a bin-man, but it seems to pay well. My plan is to build up a bit of a cash buffer, 100-200M or so, then diversify my mission running to other corps (preferable ones which don't destroy my Minmatar/Gallente standings so much). The corp seem friendly so I'll stick around for a while, but will eventually have to leave if I want to do anything other than high-sec PvE - looks like RvB would be the best bet to learn some simple frigate PvP, but eventually I'd like to try a WH corp too.
Somewhere around the range of 5-7m sp should be plenty to get you started in here, could actually do with less if you cut all the corners you could and sucked up not being able to do some activities. Initial isk investment for my particular corp is somewhere around 750m-1.25b depending on what exactly you bring, though. You can do lower level WHs with much less isk investment, and I'm sure there's a C5 WH corp out there that would take you in with a lower isk investment.
Let's see... 49m skill points and still not playing at that sort of level? That would be me. Mostly because I'm lazy as hell and just haven't bothered getting into all that.

Anyway... Alasseo, fantastic story! That sort of stuff makes me want to do more in EVE, but... eh. Lazy. :mrgreen:
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

User avatar
Swivelguy
Posts: 469
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:11 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Swivelguy » Thu May 10, 2012 3:58 pm UTC

Laserdan wrote:I like PvP, so Minmatar seem to be a very viable choice*? The Gallente do appeal to me politically but I heard that this has no influence on gameplay.


As others have said, which race your character is doesn't matter, as you can train any race's ships. However, you'll want to pick 1 race's ships to train, as cross-training is very slow (mostly because of the weapons systems). When making that choice, gallente is actually a very good choice for pvp these days. They have perhaps the most versatile overall collection of ships of any race. Amarr and minmatar ships are also fine choices, but training caldari limits you to just a few good pvp ships.

I'm basically thinking about being either a mercenary, an inventor or some merchant type. I'm quite the perfectionist and completionist and very competitive - any advise on a viable path catering to these interests the best?


You'll want to choose between being a combat pilot or an inventor, unless you're going to train up 2 accounts, as both are very skillpoint-intensive. You can be a merchant/trader without huge investments in skillpoints, as that mostly falls to your actual ability to use the markets.

If you're a perfectionist and very competitive, you may actually have to loosen up to enjoy pvp. For a long time you'll be fighting people with more skillpoints and game knowledge than you, and you have to be willing to let go, enjoy losing ships, and roll with the punches. Rather than perfectionists, the best PVPers are adaptable people. Side note: no perfectionist ever found a cyclone fit that pleased them. ;)
EVE Online: Daesis Wrack
Starcraft 2 (US): CosmicOsmo #465
Anarchy Online (RK2): Azzamis

User avatar
Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...
Posts: 3113
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:31 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Ixtellor » Thu May 10, 2012 5:20 pm UTC

I know they offer insurance in the game. I have no idea if its a good investment or affordable.

Question:
When your new and have no money, what happens if your ship gets 'killed'? Do you just get a new free ship? Will someone repair it and accept credit?

Another Question:
Does it feel like your playing a space ship MMO, or does it more closely resembler a corporation MMO. After all my reading, huge parts of the game seem to very boring.
Hours of mining rocks...

Last Question:
I get the impression the game isn't really solo-able. Whats the best a solo player can hope to achieve? Can they ever leave high sec and not expect to lose everything?
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

User avatar
DaBigCheez
Posts: 838
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:03 am UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby DaBigCheez » Thu May 10, 2012 5:41 pm UTC

Can't offer responses on all aspects, having been a high-sec carebear for the year and a half I've been playing, but:

1) Frankly, there's no way the NPC insurance corporation should be able to stay in business. You automatically have a basic insurance contract that gives ~10-20% of the ship's value back, and can insure a ship for three months at a time (IIRC) with a one-time payment, which pays out about twice what you spent if your ship blows up during that time (goes up to a max of something like 60% of the ship's value). This really only works for the "basic" Tech 1 ships - the specialized Tech 2 ships and (I think) capitals don't give back nearly as high a fraction of their cost via insurance.

If you're planning to do PVP at all in a T1 ship, insurance is basically a no-brainer.

2) Once your ship blows up, it's gone - there's no way to "repair" it, the best you can hope for is to scoop up some of the modules and put them in a new ship. That said, you automatically get a free rookie ship anytime you dock in your pod at a station where you don't have any ships (from the insurance corporation - again, how do they stay in business?) equipped with a horrible gun, a horrible mining laser, and a single unit of the game's cheapest mineral. It's not much, but it's enough to make sure that no matter how low you go, you can always pull yourself back up - it should take less than an hour (probably much less) to get yourself back into a respectable T1 frigate, even if you had 0 ISK in your wallet. Once you've built yourself up again, you should basically never have to worry about being forced to fly a rookie ship, since if you're kicking around with a few hundred million in your wallet, the ~200k for a T1 frigate hull is basically pocket change.

3) It really depends on what you do - mining is memetically boring, and widely suspected to be done primarily by bots, with the second main group as "players who are watching a movie or reading forums at the same time and only half-paying attention". I personally like missions, but many feel the same way about them. My understanding of PVP, corp infiltration, etc. is that there does tend to be a strong trend of "a long period of boredom, followed by a few minutes of adrenaline rush".

4) Can't really speak to this one; it also depends on whether you mean "solo" solo or "one player" solo (i.e. whether multiboxing alts counts).
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

Spambot5546
Posts: 1466
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:34 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Spambot5546 » Thu May 10, 2012 5:44 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:I know they offer insurance in the game. I have no idea if its a good investment or affordable.

Question:
When your new and have no money, what happens if your ship gets 'killed'? Do you just get a new free ship? Will someone repair it and accept credit?

Any time you dock in a pod you are given a free rookie ship. It's the same ship you start out with. So if you lose everything, you still have the option of building from the ground up the way you did when you started.
Ixtellor wrote:Another Question:
Does it feel like your playing a space ship MMO, or does it more closely resembler a corporation MMO. After all my reading, huge parts of the game seem to very boring.
Hours of mining rocks...

There are people who go their whole EVE careers without ever fitting a mining laser or loading up a blueprint. I have, and I actually rather enjoyed it, but it's completely optional.
Ixtellor wrote:Last Question:
I get the impression the game isn't really solo-able. Whats the best a solo player can hope to achieve? Can they ever leave high sec and not expect to lose everything?

It's true, low-sec and 0.0 are group areas. You can get away with spending time in 0.0 solo ninja ratting or looking for lone players to try to take out, but you're gonna wanna be pretty comfortable with the game before you try either of those.

Playing completely unaided (and assuming you don't want to invest in alt accounts) you're stuck with level four mission running and mining as sources of income. Frankly I'd rather mine than grind L4s.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: EVE Online

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu May 10, 2012 6:20 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:I know they offer insurance in the game. I have no idea if its a good investment or affordable.

Question:
When your new and have no money, what happens if your ship gets 'killed'? Do you just get a new free ship? Will someone repair it and accept credit?

Another Question:
Does it feel like your playing a space ship MMO, or does it more closely resembler a corporation MMO. After all my reading, huge parts of the game seem to very boring.
Hours of mining rocks...

Last Question:
I get the impression the game isn't really solo-able. Whats the best a solo player can hope to achieve? Can they ever leave high sec and not expect to lose everything?

Huge parts of the game are incredibly boring. This is true of all MMOs, but I feel that Eve has more boring activities to do, and additionally, more boring activities that are required to actually enjoy the game. In WoW, grinding up a craft skill by either gathering or sitting around and churning out crafted stuff isn't 'fun', it's work. In Eve, there are a number of activities that are also not 'fun', but are 'work'.

A way to think about it, is that in most MMOs, there's a single track you progress down. You gain xp, you gain skill, and you get 'better'. In Eve, there are two tracks, skill points and money. You can have a wildly skilled character with no money, and not be terribly 'powerful', because you can't afford any good ships or modules. Conversely, you can have a very new character with no skills whose wallet can't even display all the digits of your value, but you won't be terribly 'powerful' because you can't USE any ships or modules. The 'skill track' in Eve constantly progresses, as skill training is just mediated by time. The 'money track' in Eve progresses by your efforts. Mining, mission running, trading, industry, getting lucky pirating and selling loot, etc., are all activities that will net you money.

It also bears mentioning that in WoW, a single lvl 80 character will ALWAYS beat a lvl 60 character. In Eve, that isn't true, as there is greater emphasis on the ship you're flying, the modules you've fitted, and how many squad mates you have backing you up. Four lvl 60's may not be able to take down a lvl 80 in WoW, but a single decently fit Battleship will be annihilated by 4 decently fit cruisers. You may love or hate this aspect of the game.

Which comes to the last point; no, this game is not soloable. You can do things in the game solo, but you will find that you spend larger and larger portions of time doing things that bore you to tears. You can mine on a single ship, but then you'll end up with a huge mess of minerals floating in space, and have to haul them all back. You can run missions on your own, but they'll go a lot faster if you have an ally running them with you. All the cool shit that's described in this thread is from coordinating combat with tons of other people.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
Alasseo
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:25 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Alasseo » Thu May 10, 2012 10:00 pm UTC

There is definitely boredom involved, but a great deal of the rush is from the anticipation. Also, you can mitigate a lot of that boredom by choices you make. If you're out looking for a fight somewhere and can't find any, you get bored.. until you look somewhere else /get a gang together to take on those fleets you saw but couldn't engage / go to high sec and can flip someone / do some exploration / trade / etc etc etc. But if you just keep looking in the same 3 systems that no one is coming to, you will get incredibly bored.
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

User avatar
DaBigCheez
Posts: 838
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:03 am UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby DaBigCheez » Thu May 10, 2012 11:49 pm UTC

Sort of going along with what Alasseo said, I've heard it proposed that one of the *reasons* to consider EVE combat good is that, when you're out fighting in one of your good ships, if it blows up it'd probably take hours or days of farming to replace it - there's a sense of actually having something real on the line, something that you've worked for that you could lose, rather than, say, a Call of Duty match that won't matter five minutes after it finishes.

Of course, this is also the reason for people often being extraordinarily risk-averse and not fighting unless they outnumber the enemy three-to-one, or just avoiding PVP altogether, which is why a few sources I've read recommend setting up "passive" income sources, so that you can go fight without thinking too hard about it rather than having "if I lose this ship, I will have to grind for 7.32 hours to replace it" constantly running through your mind.
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

User avatar
Alasseo
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:25 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Alasseo » Fri May 11, 2012 1:54 am UTC

Or just get sprich and have the only annoyance be having to buy and fit a new ship. :p
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

halbarad
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:49 am UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby halbarad » Fri May 11, 2012 7:39 am UTC

You can do a lot of stuff solo and without ever leaving the NPC corp. You'll find that even if you spend most of your time running missions solo or exploring or whatever, just being in a corp which does similar things is a huge help. Having people to talk to (nothing really wrong with the NPC corp but it lacks the connection you get with familiar faces) and occasionally run corp ops etc is one of the main things that will keep you playing the game and get you through a lot of the boring parts of Eve.

On the subject of insurance, I believe the T2 insurance is slightly better than it used to (Tyrannis I think changed it). It's not as good as T1 but it's still better than nothing. Though saying that I haven't bought insurance since well before Tyrannis but it's very useful for new players (especially on the tutorial missions where you have to lose a free ship they give you as it's basically free isk).

User avatar
Laserdan
Posts: 162
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:12 am UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Laserdan » Fri May 11, 2012 10:54 am UTC

Are there insurance corps, e.g. a player corporation that does insurance business like, in reality, and profitable?
"Sobriety is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs."

halbarad
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:49 am UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby halbarad » Fri May 11, 2012 2:05 pm UTC

Laserdan wrote:Are there insurance corps, e.g. a player corporation that does insurance business like, in reality, and profitable?


As far as I'm aware there isn't. There used to be a bank and they did pretty well till one member decided it would be just as good to take everything and run off.

A lot of Eve players probably wouldn't trust a player owned insurance corp anyway, rule 1 of Eve is Trust No One (rule 0 being Don't fly what you can't afford to lose).

And if it looks like a scam then it's almost certainly a scam.

User avatar
BlackSails
Posts: 5315
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:48 am UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby BlackSails » Fri May 11, 2012 6:27 pm UTC

You couldnt run a player insurance corp since

A) it would be impossible to make isk
B) 90% of the claims would be fraud anyway

Spambot5546
Posts: 1466
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:34 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Spambot5546 » Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 pm UTC

The only way I could see it working is with alliances insuring things like POSes, system control, and supercaps. Anything else would result in the insurance corp being inundated with too many claims to verify and result in massive fraud. Focusing on a smaller number of large clients would make it more feasible to investigate claims.

I don't see it being used much, though. Any alliance large enough to insure things like that can afford to replace them.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

Spambot5546
Posts: 1466
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:34 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Spambot5546 » Sun May 13, 2012 1:08 am UTC

Are Oneiroses in Incursions a thing? I haven't played in a while but a buddy of mine just got back into it and wants to start into Incursions. I was looking at Incursion guides and one or two are saying Oneiros is preferred over Guardians, which is not at ALL what I remember.

And beyond that, just any advice for the guy on getting an invite into Incursions? He's pretty lacking in skills at the moment, so we're mostly looking into what he needs to train for.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

User avatar
Alasseo
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:25 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Alasseo » Sun May 13, 2012 2:42 am UTC

Onerios got buffed. Instead of being the terrible armor version of the scimitar, they are the armor version of the scimitar.. so same reps as guardian, with no need for cap chains. Means you don't get to give out cap, but in VG/AS that's hardly ever needed anyways.

Also, the fastest thing to train for that will get him in to every fleet is a logistic, unless he's already like 3/4th the way to a loki or a legion or a nightmare or something. No matter how bling a fleet is, they still need logi, and logi don't need bling. Makes you look pretty, but it's not needed.

EDIT: also, from what I understand, between the general long term decline of armor fleets and the changes to incursions that happened in escalations, armor fleets are pretty much gone. Even BTL is sharply down in numbers. Would strongly suggest going shield tanking.
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

Spambot5546
Posts: 1466
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:34 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Spambot5546 » Sun May 13, 2012 3:27 am UTC

I came back from playing some KOTOR to find out he'd joined a corp and they're setting him up to fly a Scimi. I don't know what he'll do for the 23 days it'll take him to train into it, but he's got something at least.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

User avatar
Swivelguy
Posts: 469
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:11 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Swivelguy » Sun May 13, 2012 6:15 am UTC

We just jumped on a fleet that was preparing to shoot a POS (or something, they were derping around suspciously in a wormhole that was not theirs), and had a nice, uncommonly even fight.

Bad guys:
Brutix
Cyclone
Cyclone
Harby
Sleipnir
Rokh
Vengeance

Good guys
:
Astarte
Absolution
Nighthawk
Navy Omen
Vagabond (me)
Cloaky Tengu
Hawk

We destroyed the brutix more or less instantly and one of the cyclones warped out to receive his cowardly survivor award. We spread points to the rest and gradually worked them down. They primaried our tengu who managed to pull range and warp off, then our astarte, who did the same, both making it away in early structure. The whole thing was over in just a few minutes and we cleaned up the loot.

http://killboard.lostalliance.net/index ... ated/5154/
EVE Online: Daesis Wrack
Starcraft 2 (US): CosmicOsmo #465
Anarchy Online (RK2): Azzamis

User avatar
BlackSails
Posts: 5315
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:48 am UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby BlackSails » Sun May 13, 2012 1:12 pm UTC

Thats not quite even - the tengu should have been able to solo their whole fleet.

User avatar
Swivelguy
Posts: 469
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:11 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Swivelguy » Sun May 13, 2012 1:53 pm UTC

Which is why it almost died? Cloaky tengus do about 200 dps. I'd gladly fly a cyclone or sleipnir in a 1v1 against a cloaky tengu.

It wasn't a dead-on even fight, and I didn't say that. It was more even than 90% of fights we tend to get and therefore was actually fun.
EVE Online: Daesis Wrack
Starcraft 2 (US): CosmicOsmo #465
Anarchy Online (RK2): Azzamis

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: EVE Online

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun May 13, 2012 2:03 pm UTC

Alasseo wrote:between the general long term decline of armor fleets and the changes to incursions that happened in escalations, armor fleets are pretty much gone

Aw. tl;dr; why?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
Alasseo
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:25 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Alasseo » Sun May 13, 2012 6:05 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
Alasseo wrote:between the general long term decline of armor fleets and the changes to incursions that happened in escalations, armor fleets are pretty much gone

Aw. tl;dr; why?


Shield gets the more deeps, and armor was really only great at the two VG sites, while shield could do AS/HQ easy.
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

User avatar
BlackSails
Posts: 5315
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:48 am UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby BlackSails » Sun May 13, 2012 6:55 pm UTC

Swivelguy wrote:Which is why it almost died? Cloaky tengus do about 200 dps. I'd gladly fly a cyclone or sleipnir in a 1v1 against a cloaky tengu.


Oh, you didnt say it was badly fit.

User avatar
Swivelguy
Posts: 469
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:11 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Swivelguy » Sun May 13, 2012 7:30 pm UTC

His fit is fine. It's cloaky, which puts limitations on the fit. Please share the fit and tactics you would use (with a covops cloak, a probe launcher, and an emergent locus analyzer) to solo that 7-man fleet.
EVE Online: Daesis Wrack
Starcraft 2 (US): CosmicOsmo #465
Anarchy Online (RK2): Azzamis

User avatar
BlackSails
Posts: 5315
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:48 am UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby BlackSails » Sun May 13, 2012 8:45 pm UTC

I dont really see any purpose to a cloaky tengu. At least a cloaky loki or cloaky proteus can make good heavy tackle. A cloaky tengu just doesnt do anything.


(bar siege linking, or being a cloaky nullified prober, but there isnt any reason for those ships to be in combat at all)

User avatar
Swivelguy
Posts: 469
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:11 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Swivelguy » Sun May 13, 2012 8:50 pm UTC

It was our scout. I agree, tengus make the worst cloaky T3, but they do tackle better than a buzzard, which is what it did here. By pointing their shiniest ship as the rest of us warped in, then in the very common event in which they all flee, we at least get a kill.

So, yeah, this fight wasn't even. It would have been, if their fits weren't mostly terrible, but even so, it's ridiculous to expect a covops tengu to solo the 7 of them.

I mostly scout in a 100mn AB cloaky loki that gets 380 dps, 80k shield EHP and can swap its probe launcher out for a med neut—enough to solo a ratting drake without any sleeper help.
EVE Online: Daesis Wrack
Starcraft 2 (US): CosmicOsmo #465
Anarchy Online (RK2): Azzamis

User avatar
Jesse
Vocal Terrorist
Posts: 8635
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Basingstoke, England.
Contact:

Re: EVE Online

Postby Jesse » Sun May 13, 2012 10:44 pm UTC

I rejoined EVE, because I needed something to keep my hands busy while I prep for shows and the like. Had forgotten how much I just love floating about and ice mining for a couple of hours. Just need to get back into a Corp and I should be set.

User avatar
Kulantan
Posts: 999
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 9:24 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere witty

Re: EVE Online

Postby Kulantan » Mon May 14, 2012 7:44 pm UTC

I'm back trying EVE again (my first try was 2 years ago for a couple of weeks as a trader who lost his measly fortune* running NPC trade goods between low sec systems*). After completing the tutorial missions I think the most interesting thing I have tried is the whole exploration thing.

My plan at the moment is to train pretty single mindedly up to flying a covert ops frigate (specifically the Cheetah). Taking some time first to train my basic exploration skills a bit to earn some money while I train.

I do have some questions for you folks with some experience. Is doing this solo an option or is exploration mainly a gang thing? If exploration is soloable mostly, can you bookmark a site you discover to clear the hostiles from the site in a combat fitted ship and then come back later in a salvage/hacking/archaeology/mining ship? What kind of security level systems should I be scanning given that my best combat ship is a destroyer (I assume security level makes a difference to the sites that will spawn)?

Also, I'm on the lookout for a corp if anyone wants to take a complete noob on board.

*"Don't fly what you can't afford to loose" in now permanently ingrained in my psyche.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

phlip wrote:(Scholars believe it is lost to time exactly which search engine Columbus preferred... though they are reasonably sure that he was an avid user of Apple Maps.)

Blog.

Spambot5546
Posts: 1466
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:34 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Spambot5546 » Mon May 14, 2012 8:04 pm UTC

Some of the 0.0 sites can't be soloed without capital ships. Not even with caps in some cases.

You can run exploration sites in high-sec, bookmark the location, and come back in a combat ship. They won't be worth much money, unfortunately. Also, you'll spend a couple months training into that covops and in that time you won't be able to fly any decent combat ships. The only sites you'll be able to clear will be the ones you can solo in your a T1 fit Rifter.

I guess what I'm getting at is while there's a lot of money in exploration, it takes a while to get to that point, especially if you want to do it solo.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

User avatar
BlackSails
Posts: 5315
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:48 am UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby BlackSails » Mon May 14, 2012 8:42 pm UTC

A corpmate of mine, as an experiment, started a new alt, gave it like 10M, and then plexed it off highsec radar sites in the first month. He used an imicus

mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby mike-l » Mon May 14, 2012 8:45 pm UTC

How much gametime did that take? I'm hopping around in a vexor but I often scan for hours and find very few sites. Wormholes in my drake were WAAAY more lucrative, but obviously much more dangerous too.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

User avatar
BlackSails
Posts: 5315
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:48 am UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby BlackSails » Mon May 14, 2012 9:44 pm UTC

Some corrections - he gave himself 5 mil, and he got the plex in 6 days, not a month.

Ive been doing a bit of an experiment lately. I made a second account for a strictly pve character and Ive been trying to see how fast I can get it to make enough for a plex with only a 5 mil loan from my main.

So far Ive gotten an imicus (yes I started as gallente) and have been running around hisec looking for radar sites. Since its nearing the 24 hour mark since the account was made, I have 58mil in my wallet, 99,404 sp, and 0 implants.

Im doing this mostly because Im bored waiting for cruiser 5 to finish, and alot of people arent able to make enough to plex during their trial period, so I want to see if I can do so in under a week. If this becomes my average income then I should be able to plex the account in 4 and a half days.
Old Post




Ive only actually played a grand total of 6-7 hours to be honest. Alot of my time is spent being semi afk or completely afk. Im running radar sites, which are signatures you probe to 100%. Things like local virus test sites and shattered life supports are what I attempt to find.

The ship im using is the Imicus, its the t1 gallente probing frig. Currently it is equipped with a core probe launcher with 4 sisters core scanner probes, a codebreaker, a 200mm plate, and a small armor repairer. I have 3 t1 warrior drones in the drone bay. I do not currently have rigs, I only have gallente frigate 2 and astrometric rangefinding 2.

The reason that Ive made so much money already are the decryptors and datacores you find in radars. Datacores can easily be over 200k each and decryptors normally sell for anywhere between 4m and 14m depending on which ones you find. An Operation Handbook for example, goes for 8-9m in rens and is a fairly common drop from angel radar sites.


There are then daily updates http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmes ... ntpage=394 around here

Spambot5546
Posts: 1466
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:34 pm UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby Spambot5546 » Mon May 14, 2012 10:10 pm UTC

Huh. Well I guess I'm full of shit. Which in this case I'm pretty okay with.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby mike-l » Mon May 14, 2012 11:20 pm UTC

So I guess I should just completely ignore any non-radar site and keep wandering until I find them?
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

User avatar
BlackSails
Posts: 5315
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:48 am UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby BlackSails » Mon May 14, 2012 11:33 pm UTC

mike-l wrote:So I guess I should just completely ignore any non-radar site and keep wandering until I find them?


With a vexor, you could probably do the highsec combat sites, which are classified under unknown.

halbarad
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:49 am UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby halbarad » Tue May 15, 2012 8:28 am UTC

My biggest piece of advice for running high sec exploration is to fly out to amarr space and do it there. It's the least populated and has the most space. I've been doing a bit while scanning for WHs to raid and ran a Sansha's Vigil site, took me about 4 mins and I got a True Sansha Medium Neut (worth about 80mil) and escalation to other sites which dropped a low grade slave delta (worth about 70mil) and a final low sec escalation which I haven't done (not going to risk a PVE ship in the heart of Minmatar FW and one jump out of Amamake).

Vexor is a great ship for running sites, it can fit a solid tank and due to drones does a nice mix of damage.

mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby mike-l » Tue May 15, 2012 2:26 pm UTC

I've not found anything worth anywhere near that much. Maybe I just need to do more. I generally only find about 5-10 million worth of drops in an hour or two of scanning/clearing sites.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

halbarad
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:49 am UTC

Re: EVE Online

Postby halbarad » Tue May 15, 2012 2:52 pm UTC

mike-l wrote:I've not found anything worth anywhere near that much. Maybe I just need to do more. I generally only find about 5-10 million worth of drops in an hour or two of scanning/clearing sites.


I'll admit mine was more luck than anything else, both in finding the site and the drops I got.

I've found that I can have a system or two with no sigs or useless sigs (ladar or grav) and waste 10mins or so getting them all to 25% so I know what they are. Then it's move on to the next system and hope for better sigs. I also end up wasting time scouting out WHs I find and potentially just sitting semi-afk cloaked around various POS hoping that someone logs in to shoot (if their KB/staticmapper shows activity in that time zone).


Return to “Gaming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests