EVE Online

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Alasseo

Re: EVE Online

Postby Alasseo » Fri May 24, 2013 1:59 am UTC

find a (good) corp, join. Be happy. Look around for faction warfare corps for money and pew at a low level.
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Fri May 24, 2013 10:17 pm UTC

Myself and a friend are working on starting up a faction warfare corp working for the minmatar. I just reactivated my account today, since I've finally graduated college. If you want to join us, send a message to "Gunfingers" and start heading toward a system called "Ebolfur". There's also an XKCD channel in-game, though it is often sparcely populated.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

Mordus

Postby Mordus » Sat May 25, 2013 12:15 am UTC

I know I've seen some channels that have both Eve and Dust players, but I don't know if there are some channels that are seperate. Can I, a Dust Bunny, join the XKCD channel?

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Sat May 25, 2013 12:26 am UTC

You can.
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Sun May 26, 2013 5:15 pm UTC

So.... the BC changes are coming in 9 days. So this would be a very bad time to clone fail and lose BC V. Shit.

Totally skill points lost upfront 786k - 14 days of training. At the skill point split there will be 5 days left on the train, which becomes 20 days as it will propagate to all 4 races. Total training time lost, 29 days. Shit shit shit.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Sun May 26, 2013 8:50 pm UTC

mike-l wrote:So.... the BC changes are coming in 9 days. So this would be a very bad time to clone fail and lose BC V. Shit.

Totally skill points lost upfront 786k - 14 days of training. At the skill point split there will be 5 days left on the train, which becomes 20 days as it will propagate to all 4 races. Total training time lost, 29 days. Shit shit shit.

File a petition, its probably not going to work, but its worth a shot

Edit: If they dont refund your sp, ask if they could take the SP away from another skill

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Mon May 27, 2013 12:50 am UTC

Yeah, the first thing I did when I realized I didn't have enough time left was put in a petition. I'll let you know if I have any luck.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Mon May 27, 2013 3:30 pm UTC

I dont think you will ( :( ), but you might be able to get them to take SP off from skills that arent being quadrupled.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Thu May 30, 2013 3:21 am UTC

Yeah, no dice on any thing at all. Mostly as expected, but was worth asking. Good news is I actually don't fly BCs that often, just the Naga, so while I will retrain as much as I can before the split, I probably will only max out Caldari soonish after the split and put off the 15 extra days til later.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu May 30, 2013 8:50 pm UTC

I don't think too many dudes use BCs as main nullsec fleet concepts. Mostly Goons and Test do from what I've seen lately, and maybe some others, but they're definitely throwaway ships in those fleet concepts so you can get away with level 4. The Harbinger is a pretty good one too.

The era of Drakes is over though (fortunately).

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Thu May 30, 2013 11:10 pm UTC

Well, I'm in TEST, so yeah. We currently use canes on all of our strat ops, and nagas get called for on lots of non-stratop fleets. I also use a naga as my primary ratting ship.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri May 31, 2013 4:35 pm UTC

We've had some great fights over 1-SMEB lately :) Keep it up!

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

Welp.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:18 pm UTC

Maybe we get more free SP out of this at least. I need to PLEX tomorrow and am about 200m short, which I was planning on making fairly easily today.... welp indeed.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:20 am UTC

mike-l wrote:Maybe we get more free SP out of this at least. I need to PLEX tomorrow and am about 200m short, which I was planning on making fairly easily today.... welp indeed.

I doubt it, since that would encourage more ddosing. Also they didnt give SP when lulzec took the server down.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:35 am UTC

Certainly a possible response. But a) the server isn't down directly because of the DDoS, it's down because CCP took it down to deal with the DDoS, ie it's CCP's choice to down the servers and b) 500k players got screwed by this, not making any amends to those players in fears of benefiting a handful of guilty parties is a pretty shitty stance to take. But you may well be right.

In any case, my skills are still training away, though 2 of my accounts are under 24 hours now. But I'm not sure if I'll have time to rat out that PLEX now, and the account expires in 16 hours. If servers come up before midnight EST I'll be ok, but much after that and I doubt I'll have time.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:04 am UTC

They should certainly add time to everyones account.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:49 pm UTC

I thought about this, but the DDoS wasn't something CCP caused. So technically speaking, the people who DDoS'd EVE are the ones who took our time, not CCP. So CCP don't really owe us anything. They took their server down to stop the DDoS attack. Hopefully they'll respond to petitions to move people who were left in hostile space though. 8-)

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:01 am UTC

The DDoS didn't knock out the servers, they were taken down by CCP. Moreover the DDoS was exploiting a vulnerability in CCP's code. So yeah, I'm going to call this their fault.

Even if it wasn't though, I don't care. I pay for a service, I expect to get that service. Suppose I make a courier contract in game, and the courier is ganked. I get the collateral, even though the loss was not caused by the courier. For a RL example, if my computer gets hacked or whatever, CCP is under no expectation or obligation to refund or extend my game time in the period I can't play. I pay 45 a month (more accurately I get other people to pay 45 a month as I PLEX my accounts) in exchange for server access for 3 accounts for that month. If for whatever reason I don't hold up my end, they don't hold up their end, and it should be vice versa.

Anyway, in their post this morning they said there will be some sort of compensation coming, so good on them.

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:08 am UTC

mike-l wrote:The DDoS didn't knock out the servers, they were taken down by CCP. Moreover the DDoS was exploiting a vulnerability in CCP's code. So yeah, I'm going to call this their fault.

Even if it wasn't though, I don't care. I pay for a service, I expect to get that service. Suppose I make a courier contract in game, and the courier is ganked. I get the collateral, even though the loss was not caused by the courier. For a RL example, if my computer gets hacked or whatever, CCP is under no expectation or obligation to refund or extend my game time in the period I can't play. I pay 45 a month (more accurately I get other people to pay 45 a month as I PLEX my accounts) in exchange for server access for 3 accounts for that month. If for whatever reason I don't hold up my end, they don't hold up their end, and it should be vice versa.

Anyway, in their post this morning they said there will be some sort of compensation coming, so good on them.

They actually very specifically say that they make no promise of uptime. :p

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:17 am UTC

Aaand I can't get in on my main right now. GG CCP.

Incidentally, this is the char that lost BC V, and I want to swap training to something else as they've announced that BC and Dessie training will be paused at patch time. If I can't log before I go to bed I'll be out SP even more than already.

Also looks like my ship got blown up.

Edit, got back in. Sadly our huge fight is over, and my ship got killed, but I should get it back from petitions.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:12 am UTC

mike-l wrote:A
Edit, got back in. Sadly our huge fight is over, and my ship got killed, but I should get it back from petitions.

Unless they changed their policy, they systematically deny any ship lost to lag/dc/blackscreen in a large fleet fight

Not your week :(

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:54 pm UTC

Well that doesn't really matter, TEST will reimburse me if CCP won't.

Anyway, patch is live, servers are up on time, and we got 50k SP for the downtime Sunday, so I'm pretty content this morning.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

Props to CCP for giving out more SP for a day lost like that. That's a nice gesture at least.

As a side note, these fights in Delve the last couple weeks have been the most fun fights I've ever experienced in EVE. I can't remember too many big ones like that in all the time I've played this game. Tidi is frustrating at times, but at least it lets us brawl it out in some capacity.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:51 pm UTC

Who do you fly with Mishrak? Have I killed any of your Lokis?

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:58 pm UTC

PL I'm usually in the xkcd channel too btw.

I lost my first Loki (and first t3 ever) last night when I somehow got dragged by a bubble off the main fleet from a fleet warp. By the time I realized what the hell had happened, I was proper tackled <10km off a whole pile of Test Rokhs. Not the way I envisioned losing that ship. I got a good 800+ kills in it too. Ah well, not a bad run for one Loki.
Last edited by Mishrak on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Kulantan

Postby Kulantan » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:51 pm UTC

As a dedicated explorer this expansion is awesome. The new hacking and so on is more engaging than watching the module cycle. The probe formations save on so much tedium. Best of all is no mobs in radar and mags. Plus once you know the some tricks the new sites are perhaps more profitable than the old ones. I'm not sure yet because I'm not sure if they nerfed the T2 salvage in low sec mags which is where I get most of my isk.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

phlip wrote:(Scholars believe it is lost to time exactly which search engine Columbus preferred... though they are reasonably sure that he was an avid user of Apple Maps.)

Blog.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:28 pm UTC

Mishrak wrote:PL I'm usually in the xkcd channel too btw.

I lost my first Loki (and first t3 ever) last night when I somehow got dragged by a bubble off the main fleet from a fleet warp. By the time I realized what the hell had happened, I was proper tackled <10km off a whole pile of Test Rokhs. Not the way I envisioned losing that ship. I got a good 800+ kills in it too. Ah well, not a bad run for one Loki.

Yay, I'm on that KM with a measly 22 damage, heh. Garius Novarum is me. I hear you guys are redeploying somewhere up north, been fun fighting you, good luck!

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:35 pm UTC

Whaaat! Cheater.

No idea where we'll go, but hopefully it'll be just as fun.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:52 am UTC

So.. I guess you guys didn't leave just yet. Gf, gg.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:08 pm UTC

Eh? I wasn't on yesterday.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:27 pm UTC

There were quite a few PL supers around. I wasn't actually in 1-S (which we lost), I was in a fleet fighting for an ihub in Querious and there were many PL there. https://zkb.pleaseignore.com/related/30 ... 306050300/ Not a great night for us, lost a lot of caps, lost two ihubs. Had a ton of fun though.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:30 pm UTC

Ah, yeah there's a difference between our supers and our subcaps though. I'm not sure you can ever count out supers if there's a brawl to be had ;)

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:13 pm UTC

Yeah. Well it's probably a good thing for content purposes. I feel like had we defended 1-S, without Goon and PL support NC. would have packed it in pretty soon. Now they're here to fight for a while. Incidentally FWeddit has announced that they're invading Querious, so lots of content coming our way.

Edit: According to TMC it's pretty much as you say. When we dropped our dreads PL brought supers. Subcaps had extracted as expected (there was a single PL Crusader on field, but the main fleet was 71 Supers and Carriers). Information on our side of things isn't flowing super fast, probably because none of the FCs from last night are awake yet, so I'm just trying to piece together what I can.

Edit 2: So the fun has moved up to fountain. Word on the street is that NC is leaving Delve alone and may even come help fight goons after they take Querious. Meanwhile Test is fully deploying to the north. The summer of fun continues.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:37 pm UTC

So I was wandering around FW space and I come to a fairly empty system. I warp to seventy to a belt and set a safespot bookmark. As I landed I saw a lone Mackinaw. "Solo mining in low sec? Time to see if I can teach this guy a lesson" I think to myself as I MWD toward him. I cover 70 km in a few seconds and soon have point on him. As I get him down to about half shield I realize I'm taking damage. My combat log starts showing things like "CONCORD something or other lands glancing blow for X damage".

"CONCORD?" I think. That can't be right. There's no CONCORD in low--

I glance at the system name in the top left. 0.6. I'd wandered into high sec and not realized it.

And that's how I lost my first ship since I got back into EVE.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:05 pm UTC

Craziness going on in fountain, with pretty much all of Null except the Russians and Provibloc involved in some side of this fight. (I guess Dinner, the former HBC is kind of in the periphery, fighting Tribe down in the south). Goons have made some decent progress into fountain, currently holding 14 systems, though 5 of them were from Sort Dragon using his shares in o7m8 to flip sov without a fight. No stations have been captured, however goons dropped a station and 4 of the o7m8 systems had stations, so goons are sitting on 5 fountain systems with stations, and 8 without. A lot of the non station systems have been popping back and forth, though I think they have ihubs in a few of them now.

Meanwhile, numbers on both sides have been dropping, TEST hasn't been able to field crazy numbers of battleships like we did at the start of all this, while the goons have lost a ton of T3s costing SP. More and more they are bringing caracals to battle, but Razor just deployed out here to bolster their numbers. Meanwhile the rest of N3 also deployed to fight with TEST alongside NCdot. Some CFC alliances have started to feel the burn of ISK, but we're pretty sure both Goons and TEST have pretty deep pockets still.

Edit: So TEST won every single timer this weekend, and RFd pretty much everything goons have in fountain. Our timer page has a single defensive timer in Fountain right now, and a sea of offensive ones. Goons also lost a station up north, and had 140 slowcats (or I think the call them boots, in any case, Archons) stuck in the station for most of the day after their caracals got pipe bombed by R&K (hah!) on the way to defend, and BL dropped a ton of dreads on the slowcats forcing them to dock up, and then promptly flipped the station and killed the TCU. They managed to hold off reinforcements until the TCU onlined, at one point trapping a bunch of dreads in bubbles at the midpoint. Morale on our side is incredibly high right now.

Drumheller769

Postby Drumheller769 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:30 am UTC

Not playing this game at all, whenever I come and read this thread I feel like im reading a sci fi book, or hearing about so awesome space battles in an alternate univserse. Its great! :D
The Great Hippo wrote:Arguing with the internet is a lot like arguing with a bullet. The internet's chief exports are cute kittens, porn, and Reasons Why You Are Completely Fucking Wrong.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:09 pm UTC

Quite often the politics within the game are more entertaining than the game itself.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:15 pm UTC

Mishrak wrote:Quite often the politics within the game are more entertaining than the game itself.
A lot of games are more entertaining to hear stories about than play. EVE certainly isn't the only one to suffer from this, but I feel EVEs stories are particularly good
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:22 pm UTC

Eve has some amazing stories. What's also fun (and sometimes frustrating) is how you can participate in something firsthand, know what actually happened, and watch as one good propaganda writer spins a story that's quite different than what actually occurred and suddenly that's what everyone believes, rather than the truth.

Return to “Gaming”