My Pokemanz, let me show you them...

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Which era was the best?

red/blue/yellow
40%
gold/silver/crystal
31%
ruby/sapphire/emerald/leafgreen/firered
10%
Diamond/pearl
7%
Otter/Duck
11%

Total votes: 374

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Re: My Pokemanz, let me show you them...

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:34 am UTC

Well I'm finding breeding really fun at the moment, I might get bored of it - but I hope I don't so I can get some good IVs.

Edit: Also yeah your team is pretty kickass. An Abomasnow saved for the right time might be able to counter your team - but the opposition will be hard pressed to keep up in the rain until that moment arrives.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Matthias

Postby Matthias » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:27 am UTC

Whilst browsing at my local Wal-Mart, I stumbled upon "world championship decks" of Pokemon cards. They're card-for-card replicas of decks used to win the TCG world championship--the 2006 one I think? Anyway, here were my first thoughts on the matter: this guy spends a lot of time, money and effort buying booster cards, maybe buying individual cards off of eBay, playing countless hands against friends and rivals to figure out what works and what doesn't, and getting his style perfectly twerked.

I don't know if he receives them or not, but would you think he is entitled to royalties from the deck sales? Or do you think that, seeing as how Upper Deck (I think) owns the IP for the game in the first place, he has no rights to any decks they sell, even if they are decks of his design?

Discuss.
Love may be blind, but lust has x-ray vision.
Avatar shamelessly plucked from PMOG.

Also, it turns out I'm not dead--I'm just a right bastard who disappears from the internet for months at a time every so often.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:56 am UTC

Well, he did get a not inconsiderable pile of cash for winning the championship in question. I expect that the champion would probably also be entitled to royalties or something if they're going to use his name.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

ParanoidDrone

Postby ParanoidDrone » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:24 pm UTC

Thought I'd post another team idea I was tossing around in my head: Baton Pass lite. Basically like a regular BP chain team, but shorter and more flexible. In theory anyway. WIP, etc.

Ninjask @ Leftovers
Speed Boost, Adamant
-Substitute
-Protect
-Baton Pass
-U-Turn
Leads, stalls for speed to pass, U-Turn for if I get nailed with Perish Song or Leech Seed or something else negative that I don't want to pass.

Floatzel @ Leftovers
Swift Swim, Jolly
-Bulk Up
-Baton Pass
-Taunt
-Waterfall
I do believe I have this on my rain team also, but it's there to pass attack and defense buffs to a physical attacker. Taunt shuts down attemps at phazing, Waterfall exists for something to do damage with should the need arise.

Mr. Mime @ Leftovers
Soundproof, Calm (?)
-Calm Mind
-Baton Pass
-Encore/Substitute
-Psychic
Calm Mind passer. Soundproof would block Perish Song, Calm to make it more special sponge-y. I'm unsure whether Encore or Substitute would be better. I can probably substitute an Espeon in this spot if I so desired, but I prefer Mr. Mime for no real reason.

Porygon-Z @ Lum Berry/Leftovers
Adaptability, Modest
-Tri Attack
-Dark Pulse
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
If I end up building up Calm Minds from Mr. Mime, I'll ultimately pass them to this little virus...thing. Speed from Ninjask will help out in that department, so there should be little standing in the way of utter rape if all goes well.

And that's all I've got. Looking for suggestions, if this is the right place to ask for them. (Seriously, is there any other Pokemon thread on these fora?) Meh, I'll probably consider adding a Drifblim for massive SubPassing, but I want another potential recipient for the final pass, preferably physical to make use of the Bulk Ups.

Is there anyone else here other than Gelsamel who is really into competitive battling?
Insert witty phrase here.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:15 pm UTC

Who knows?

I honestly don't like chain-baton pass teams, even "lite" ones. They're way to susceptible to roar/whirlwind and while you can counter roar/whirlwind with ingrain it's still annoying to get around it.

In your last two slots I would consider either 2 pokemon that can generally hold their own and can also get a benefit from a baton pass (or hell, a heracross to get benefit from passing a primary status effect - that way you don't just have to drop your buffs).

OR a Pokemon with ingrain + something else... but things start moving towards a full BP chain if you pick up an ingrain pokemon and things get more complex...

I'd just like to say though - that Porygon-Z is a beast.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Stief

Postby Stief » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:17 pm UTC

I forgot to add Otter/Duck to the poll D:

that has been corrected now, however :P
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:36 pm UTC

Stief wrote:I forgot to add Otter/Duck to the poll D:

that has been corrected now, however :P

Note: Updating polls wipes out all existing votes.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:43 pm UTC

R/B/Y were awesome, G/S/C were even better, Ru/Sa annoyed me and I haven't played any of the newer ones. I loved the triple-speed emulation on N64 and was annoyed that they couldn't get it working properly for G/S/C in Stadium 2. Also, Lugia is win.

Missingno was awesome. I figured out so many ridiculous exploits using that... I had a level 192(?) Rhydon with ~65000 HP that knew Fly and Surf, and his EXP was actually set properly, so even if he gained EXP he wouldn't drop back to 100. :D :D :D (He would drop back to 192 if you brought him up past that though.) Then level 236 Nidoking (this would drop back to 100 though), also with boatloads of HP. Man that owned.

Also, G/S/C have some of the best programming I've ever seen in a game. :P (R/B/Y's is lousy...)

As for Missingno breaking things, I don't think it did, besides the obvious HOF corruption. I think those games just had weak memory controller chips that died after a while. Consider my Yellow died the same way and I never once used any glitches or hacks with it, as did my Super Mario Land which uses the same chip.
(Also, the entire series is murder on internal batteries. My Silver needs a new battery again. Oi, they should have made those user-replaceable!)
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

UtterFailures

Postby UtterFailures » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:45 am UTC

I find that after many years of hearing about and reading topics such as these, the feedback is always the same:

1. 151 was just enough.
2. It's all about Mewtwo/Missingno./<insert crappy Pokemon>
3. I didn't like it when they inserted items/put more Pokemon in/<insert new mainstay feature>

I realize everyone is entitled to some sort of an opinion, but usually, most people who have some sort of opinion about Pokemon don't really back it up with much. They'll make a statement, but won't list why. On the off chance they do, and I believe one person in this thread did, the support for it doesn't come out of a lot of knowledge.

Let me take a moment to say I'm not out to offend anyone, but I am out to point out some sentiments that aren't really making sense to me in the hopes that someone might explain why it is I've heard the same things for so long. And unlike a lot of people who made the statements I listed above, I'll back up my opinions on why I think the opinions are rather unfounded.

Addressing the notion that 151 Pokemon were enough:

R/B/Y was a great start while I played it. I'm fond of the memories and the fun I had when I played that portion of the series, but in hindsight after four generations, R/B/Y is objectively trash (though I still love it). 151 Pokemon weren't enough. The original cast did not provide enough counters for Psychics, and certainly no containment for Mewtwo. And don't tell me to use Ghost pokemon here... Gengar had a poison type attached to it, which rendered it vulnerable to Psychics still. Bug types? Ugh. They were generally terrible and very vulnerable in this age.

Players had absolutely no knowledge of the hidden variables behind the Pokemon's stats either, so the strength of each Pokemon raised was random and completely out of control of the player. From a gameplay perspective, this is inexcusable.

(G/S/C I did not play. I won't comment much about it because I didn't experience this game or use its Pokemon in a context without the existence of the third generation. We were given breeding, however, which gave players who desired Pokemon with high stats more control of what they could raise.)

Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald were fantastic, in my opinion, especially when the remakes of R/B/Y came out on the GBA. The ability to have all the generations interact and breed gave the player more options at his disposal. Carried items also meant variety, which meant more strategy, which also lead to viable counters for even most popular strategies.

Diamond/Pearl made the split between Physical and Special Attacks, rather than allocating them by type. In other words, many Pokemon that weren't as effective because they were, say, Fire type and had a high Attack stat could now use their high Attack stat for Physical-type Fire moves rather than rely on a shoddy Special Attack stat. This series also introduced a lot of new moves, tons of TM's to use, evolutions to mediocre Pokemon to make them competitively viable, and Nintendo Wi-Fi support to create a broader competitive environment. As of now, there are close to 500 Pokemon, and the multitude of teams you can competitively play make this the most appealing generation.

From a gaming standpoint, I cannot, therefore, understand why people just come out and say 151 was enough. Because, honestly, when you have 151, just a handful reign over the entire cast, whereas the higher numbers in Diamond and Pearl allow for far more interesting battles. Anything that becomes dominant and popular can get crushed because players can catch on and come up with things to counteract the threats. Borrowing a term from CCG's, this creates a metagame, which is an asset for creating a thriving environment for a game to succeed.

Now on a personal basis, not everyone is interested in competing, but after having said all of this, I'd like to know why anyone would want to go back to 151 Pokemon. Some say, "I just like the nostalgia." A trip down Memory Lane is something I'm old enough to appreciate.

However, no one has ever said, "I can't memorize all the crazy strategies and counter-strategies." No one admits, "I just don't get how the game even works anymore." And frankly, I am starting to think these two statements come into play a lot more for people who just come out to state an opinion, criticizing the later generations for some feature that improves the game, and not give a reason. Pokemon might be a kiddy-themed game, but people (not just gamers) ought to at least realize that this game contains a lot of deep elements... far deeper than countering another Pokemon's type using super-effective attacks. I know I'm apt to get flak for this.

Now to address the Mewtwo/Missingno. users:

What was the fun with abusing the computer with something overly dominant or a glitch? I'd like to invite these people to at least try out the other aspects of this game. It won't guarantee a win, but the insight you'd gain from the experience will surprise you.

For the people who don't like the new features:

Why? The game simply improved with more features. The game got more complex, sure, but I have never heard a good concrete argument for why the new features are a drag. If you honestly can't handle the complexity, just say so, walk away from the series, and join the, "I'm not into Pokemon" group. It's fine to not like or even hate this series, but just have the guts to admit why.

Closing thoughts:

The goal of this tirade was just to call people out on a few opinions. It's easy to criticize a kiddie game, or dismiss it offhandedly. Most people do so without really understanding what they're talking about (and no, I am not talking about the cartoon). There are some criticisms I have for this series, too. First, I hate how long and random breeding can get. It is a detriment for players who are interested and have the mind for competitive battles, but have less time to invest in breeding. Secondly, some aspects of the game need to be clamped down upon in order to make it fair. Players agree on an honorary system where Double Team and 1-hit KO moves are banned, only one Pokemon can be put to sleep, and unless otherwise noted, neither player uses Pokemon considered "Uber" tier. Though the competitive players have been successful in keeping this system together, it also feels a little arbritrary, and Nintendo really ought to take more steps in helping the players evolve their metagame and keep a good franchise going. This criticism, to me, is directed at wanting even better gameplay and stronger market support.

Lastly, the statistics system in this game is nuts! I find it fascinating from an intellectual perspective, but hate it from a general standpoint. Unlike many who criticize this game, I'll come out and say it: It's too complicated! It takes a long time to really learn the subtleties and it can alienate a lot of potential customers. Thank God children find the Pokes cute and don't care about the higher-levels of gameplay! Without its kiddie theme, this system might have buried Pokemon a long time ago. There probably isn't much anyone can do about it anymore, unfortunately, and I really don't have an alternative suggestion.

That's about it folks, for anyone who might have read this entire thing. I'm really hoping people don't get too offended and really try to understand the points I'm calling people out on. And for people who are looking for something intellectually stimulating, you guys may want to take a second look at this game. There are tons of resources out there that will surprise a lot of you.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:21 pm UTC

UtterFailures wrote:I find that after many years of hearing about and reading topics such as these, the feedback is always the same:

That's about it folks, for anyone who might have read this entire thing. I'm really hoping people don't get too offended and really try to understand the points I'm calling people out on. And for people who are looking for something intellectually stimulating, you guys may want to take a second look at this game. There are tons of resources out there that will surprise a lot of you.
Hmm. I get the sense you didn't read the whole thread, did you? The only way I can match the length of your post is with a few quotes from earlier:
ParanoidDrone wrote:I voted for Diamond/Pearl. Each generation GameFreak has added to the battling aspect and made it better, so I guess that's why. I love the physical/special split and a BUNCH of old Pokemon that needed evolutions got them, so...GO D/P!
Philomid wrote:Gold/Silver were (IMO) easily the best.

1) New and old pokemon.
2) Better (and more balanced) PokeTypes.
3) HUGE MAP.
4) You get to re-face the old Gym Leaders, so if you had memories about those Leaders, it was like nostalgia with a twist
5) The plot line was a little more interesting.
6) The replayability is amazing. There were some Pokemon I only knew about until the third time I played.
photosinensis wrote:I dunno: I'm actually quite enthralled by the later editions of the games. Granted, I never got into the trading cards, but the complexity of the video games fascinates me. I don't really think that the nearly 500 Pokemon are that bad: it's just more of a challenge that way.

UtterFailures, I don't think you'll offend anyone. :)
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

UtterFailures

Postby UtterFailures » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:39 am UTC

Actually, I did. Perhaps I didn't do a good enough job acknowledging the people who did argue similar points I did. My approach was to gather more aspects of the game all into one post and try to get people who used half-hearted reasoning to re-evaluate how they're viewing Pokemon. Just adding a little more insight to the discussion in the end.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:20 am UTC

Fair enough. But dude, it's just pokemon. :P

You've got a point on the depth of the games, though. I'd much prefer a Pokemon game to a Final Fantasy game when it comes down to gameplay mechanics. I read some of the docs over at GameFAQs, and it frightened me a little. All those numbers, and formulae.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:49 am UTC

Before I can go back to finishing Pokemon Yellow (I made it up to the Elite Four, but never polished off Gary), there is one question I must know:

There is a widely-publicized trick for catching any Pokemon (including Mew) without using a Game Genie or similar device. I'd have to start over from scratch to use it; it requires approaching certain trainers in a particular way, and using Pokemon with particular values for their Special stats. However, I've heard ambiguous rumours that some such cheating devices somehow mess up the Hall of Fame - though I don't know any details. Does this trick cause the same problem?

(Frankly, it would be worth it just to save me from the agony of trying to rack up enough slot-machine tokens for Porygorn.)

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:06 am UTC

no it does not mess up anything

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:11 am UTC

Really?

So what is this messed-up-Hall-of-Fame thing anyway?

UtterFailures

Postby UtterFailures » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:33 pm UTC

JayDee wrote:Fair enough. But dude, it's just pokemon. :P

You've got a point on the depth of the games, though. I'd much prefer a Pokemon game to a Final Fantasy game when it comes down to gameplay mechanics. I read some of the docs over at GameFAQs, and it frightened me a little. All those numbers, and formulae.

Don't worry, I'm not popping any aneurysms 8) .

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:15 pm UTC

Gold/Silver wins for me because Red/Blue were rather glitchy. Colour was nice, too.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Stief

Postby Stief » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:31 am UTC

I liked the time system on Gold/silver ^_^
especially the lights in the towns :D

(just thought I'd say that :P)
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

Matthias

Postby Matthias » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:24 pm UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:Gold/Silver wins for me because Red/Blue were rather glitchy.

Did anybody else ever walk around in the Safari Zone with one poisoned pokemon until it passed out? You'd wake up in the pokemon center, but the timer would still be running so you would get called back to the Zone entry building after you'd finished your 500 steps. However, when you exited, you would find yourself somewhere entirely different (I seem to recall it being the outside of Viridian Gym, usually).
Love may be blind, but lust has x-ray vision.
Avatar shamelessly plucked from PMOG.

Also, it turns out I'm not dead--I'm just a right bastard who disappears from the internet for months at a time every so often.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:13 am UTC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na0mYSFPoCU

I just felt the need to post this on the topic of pokemon
=]

Ondore

Postby Ondore » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:33 pm UTC

Speaking as someone who wrote the book (or at least the big, honking GameFAQs.com guide) on Gold/Silver/Crystal... it has not aged well at all. Having two regions to visit doesn't mean a whole lot when one of them is somewhat incomplete and the other one is at best quarter-assed.

I can't go back to it - even if I wanted to, my game's battery is probably kaput at this point.

Diamond and Pearl are my favourites so far.

The Hyphenator

Postby The Hyphenator » Sun May 11, 2008 7:19 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:I'm curious what teams people run, I'm still trying to perfect my Battle Tower team.

This is my Battle Tower team right now.

Spoiler:
Name: Abyssion (Metagross) @Life Orb
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 152 Hp / 252 Atk / 104 Speed
-Agility
-Earthquake
-Pursuit
-Meteor Mash

I was too lazy to breed until I got Adamant. Also, Pursuit is there because I have nothinig else to give it... the Chansey keeps stopping at 9 rounds so I can't get explosion (though I've only tried a few times). And I don't have Emerald.

He does a fair bit of damage, and physical walls well.

Name: Yuki (Female Gardevoir) @Leftovers
Nature: Timid
Ability: Trace
EVs: 56 Hp / 252 Sp.Atk / 200 Speed
-Psychic
-Wish
-Thunderbolt
-Calm Mind

My favourite pokemon, special sweep with Calm Mind. Also Wish Support, but hopefully soon I'll pick up a Will-o-Wisp TM. Does decently well at special walling.

Name: Lenneth (Female Weavile) @Expert Belt
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 40 Hp / 252 Atk / 216 Speed
-Night Slash
-Brick Break
-Swords Dance
-Ice Punch

Weavile is cool, physical sweeps ridiculously well.
------------------------------------------------------------

I know... I need a mixed wall.. or at the least a dedicated one.. maybe a Dusknoir or Empoleon

At the very least I need something to counter fire...

I was just thinking about this today! Mine is going to be:

Spoiler:
Garchomp@Focus sash
Jolly (Adamant probably would've been better, now that I think of it...)
252 atk, 252 spd, 6 hp
Swords dance
Rock slide
Earthquake
Dragon claw

Although I've never seen this strategy before, I don't see how this wouldn't work. Swords dance, survive an ice attack, sweep. Simple.
Theoretically, if they survive my swords-danced attack, they are very sturdy, and sturdy pokemon are usually slow, so I switch to...

Breloom@Toxic Orb
Adamant (should've been jolly, but I ran out of patience)
252 spd, 44 hp, rest in attack
Substitute
Focus punch
Spore
Leech seed

If I can outspeed them, they're pretty much dead, unless they're a ghost. Spore, sub, seed if you feel like it, punch (or pass sleep/seed to someone else if opponent is a ghost). This guy beat the Tycoon all by himself. :)

Starmie@Expert belt
Modest
252 spa, 252 spd, 6 hp
Surf
Ice beam
Thunderbolt
Psychic

This guy is just my average, everyday special sweeper. Boltbeam ownz. :) Plus a pokemon NOT weak to ice would be good, as my current team is Breloom, Garchomp, and Togekiss.

So far, I've got the first two fully trained, although I need a Focus sash. I would use Dusknoir/Electivire/Kingdra/other awesome pokemon, but I have no-one to trade with... :(
The image link changes whenever I find a new cool website.
Spoiler:

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sun May 11, 2008 11:19 pm UTC

threeeadddd neecrrooomannncyyy.

i need a DS.
uhhhh fuck.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon May 12, 2008 9:09 am UTC

I don't like Sword Dance Garchomp, and it's possible that they don't 1 hit you which makes his hold a bit useless, and if you're going to switch out maybe it's just better to go Choice Garchomp.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Mon May 12, 2008 6:01 pm UTC

[ this is late but i didn't see this before ]
Matthias wrote:Whilst browsing at my local Wal-Mart, I stumbled upon "world championship decks" of Pokemon cards. They're card-for-card replicas of decks used to win the TCG world championship--the 2006 one I think? Anyway, here were my first thoughts on the matter: this guy spends a lot of time, money and effort buying booster cards, maybe buying individual cards off of eBay, playing countless hands against friends and rivals to figure out what works and what doesn't, and getting his style perfectly twerked.

I don't know if he receives them or not, but would you think he is entitled to royalties from the deck sales? Or do you think that, seeing as how Upper Deck (I think) owns the IP for the game in the first place, he has no rights to any decks they sell, even if they are decks of his design?

Discuss.

Welcome to CCGs. Also, s{buying booster cards, maybe buying individual cards off of eBay}{exclusively buying singles}
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

The Hyphenator

Postby The Hyphenator » Tue May 13, 2008 12:59 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:I don't like Sword Dance Garchomp, and it's possible that they don't 1 hit you which makes his hold a bit useless, and if you're going to switch out maybe it's just better to go Choice Garchomp.

Well yeah, but if they don't one-hit you, you can just sweep or use another swords dance. It just guarantees at least a 2-hit-KO for the opponent. Besides, I was getting tired of being on Ice Attack Watch all the time, especially with the new physical ice attacks like Avalanche and Ice Fang everywhere. Also, I would only switch if I faint or if I really couldn't kill him with the next couple of moves; I suppose I should have clarified that.

Shit, I just realized I have no way to counter Dusknoir. Hmm...

In other news, the RNG on Pokemon Emerald is pissing me off. In the Battle Factory, they ALWAYS get critical hits when they need them most, and I always get them when they have almost no health left. Plus, evasion, confusion, attraction, etc, have a habit of working too well when I don't need them, or not at all when I do. This is even worse because the AI uses random moves with occasionally a BIT of strategy thrown in, but still wins by luck sometimes. Gah...
Spoiler:

Dusty Chalk

Postby Dusty Chalk » Tue May 13, 2008 1:00 am UTC

I've only got the one:
Attachments
luvbugdustychalk.jpg
luvbugdustychalk.jpg (133.18 KiB) Viewed 4905 times
I remain,
:-Peter, aka :-Dusty :-Chalk

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Tue May 13, 2008 1:34 am UTC

I grew up with Red/Blue/Yellow, and survived upper grade school with Gold/Silver/Crystal; but after ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. I decided that it wasn't all that fun any more. I'm still proud of my official nintendo mew on my Gold Version (transfered from blue) It's awesome :)
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

ParanoidDrone

Postby ParanoidDrone » Tue May 13, 2008 5:39 pm UTC

The Hyphenator wrote:In other news, the RNG on Pokemon Emerald is pissing me off. In the Battle Factory, they ALWAYS get critical hits when they need them most, and I always get them when they have almost no health left. Plus, evasion, confusion, attraction, etc, have a habit of working too well when I don't need them, or not at all when I do. This is even worse because the AI uses random moves with occasionally a BIT of strategy thrown in, but still wins by luck sometimes. Gah...

You act like this is news. Everyone knows the AI cheats. I'm sure they'd throw WonderTombs at you in the DP Tower if they could. <_<
Insert witty phrase here.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Tue May 13, 2008 5:54 pm UTC

I got through the fighting gym in Emerald by using a ghost type pokémon. He didn't lose any HP. Not at all. In one run through, end to end. I felt very smart.

Wyvernlink

Postby Wyvernlink » Tue May 13, 2008 6:08 pm UTC

I loved the ghost type pokeman but they never had enough, then more recently (I don't know when sometime between gold/silver and diamond/pearl) then made ghost types nearly useless in much more situations, and they are still only like 3% of the total kinds of pokeman.
/mini-rant

I think that red/blue/yellow was the best set just because they had the best setup for the gyms and elite 4. gold/silver is a close second for me, but I can't say I put enough time in to beat Red at the end of gold/silver.

wst

Postby wst » Tue May 13, 2008 8:25 pm UTC

I stopped with G/S/C as I couldn't get a GBA for the later games. Hence I dislike them because I don't know what each pokemon does beyond the 251.
More a fear of change than a dislike tbcfh.
I liked in G/S/C how your exploits in the first series were talked about by NPC's from the R/B/Y era. Copycats house and stuff.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

The Hyphenator

Postby The Hyphenator » Tue May 13, 2008 9:04 pm UTC

ParanoidDrone wrote:
The Hyphenator wrote:In other news, the RNG on Pokemon Emerald is pissing me off. In the Battle Factory, they ALWAYS get critical hits when they need them most, and I always get them when they have almost no health left. Plus, evasion, confusion, attraction, etc, have a habit of working too well when I don't need them, or not at all when I do. This is even worse because the AI uses random moves with occasionally a BIT of strategy thrown in, but still wins by luck sometimes. Gah...

You act like this is news. Everyone knows the AI cheats. I'm sure they'd throw WonderTombs at you in the DP Tower if they could. <_<

Hmm, haven't noticed any abnormal luck in Diamond after playing in the Battle Tower for a long time. It seems to me it's just in Emerald.
Spoiler:

Ondore

Postby Ondore » Tue May 13, 2008 9:38 pm UTC

It's coming, believe me. What are the odds that something will use a move that randomly doubles a stat and MAGICALLY hit the ones it needs (Special Attack and Speed)?

i like pi

Postby i like pi » Wed May 14, 2008 4:43 pm UTC

Sorry if pokemon cards don't belong here, but I just found the collection of about 12,000 cards in the back of my closet! It's insane. The majority of them are pre-E-reader cards, and from what I've seen, their prices are going up again. Not by much, but after prices hit rock bottom, It seems like a lot.
Or something to that effect. Hell, I don't know.

The Hyphenator

Postby The Hyphenator » Wed May 14, 2008 10:14 pm UTC

Ondore wrote:It's coming, believe me. What are the odds that something will use a move that randomly doubles a stat and MAGICALLY hit the ones it needs (Special Attack and Speed)?

Acupressure? What pokemon learns that that needs special attack?
Spoiler:

Ondore

Postby Ondore » Wed May 14, 2008 10:16 pm UTC

The Hyphenator wrote:
Ondore wrote:It's coming, believe me. What are the odds that something will use a move that randomly doubles a stat and MAGICALLY hit the ones it needs (Special Attack and Speed)?

Acupressure? What pokemon learns that that needs special attack?

Tentacruel do suprisingly high amounts of damage when their Special Attack is doubled and can outrun a Choice Scarf-equipped Garchomp.

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Thu May 15, 2008 7:17 am UTC

@pi
Sweet, I stopped playing after wizards dropped it though. I had a killer electric deck.
Do you remember when they rereleased the first booster packs, but they had random reverse foil cards? Any way, my first pack I whipped out a reverse foil Zapdos. I wonder how much it is worth?
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

rustygiraffe

Postby rustygiraffe » Thu May 15, 2008 2:39 pm UTC

To be honest, I am of the opinion that the original 150 pokemon were the only ones that mattered. Those are the only ones that I remember and the only ones that I care to remember.

Which is not to say that the new pokemon aren't cute and entertaining.

Just that Charizard it totally boss.

And Vaporeon.
Totally boss.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu May 15, 2008 9:40 pm UTC

Vaporeon is hax. But I <3 Gardevoir.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No