Cool games on the interweb

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Re: Cool games on the interweb

Postby michaelandjimi » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:15 am UTC

I think it's probably a good idea. It'll have it as optimised. Though if you do it once, you'll be committing to doing it every time the thread grows. That's the only real objection I can see to it.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

aeiss

Postby aeiss » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:48 am UTC

Meanwhile..

http://www.foddy.net/Athletics.html
QWOP.
It's epic. I can't describe it properly.

from jayisgames.com:
You are an Olympic runner. Using the [QWOP] keys, control your left and right calves/thight and dash your way to success. Only... I can't guarantee you'll do very much running in this game. You will, however, fall on your head a dozen different ways. With practice you can manage a decent trot, but the end result of playing QWOP is always the same: rampant hilarity.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:47 am UTC

Kerberos wrote:What is it you did to the Online Names ID thread?

Deleted 17 pages of "My handle is xxSexyBeast95 and I have this game and this game and that game and this game and oh, I'm only on Steam" to

Steam
xxSexyBeast95 - Game, game, game game, game

On one page. And pretty much deleted all but the first post.

Which reminds me, I need to do that again.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Aethernox

Postby Aethernox » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:25 am UTC

QWOP Screen:
Spoiler:

I couldn't clear the hurdle... so I took it with me. So, the position I'm in in that screenshot is exactly what I had been doing for the last 50; before that, it was the same, minus a hurdle.

The trick seems to be forgetting that you have calves; I hit Q, then use W to balance myself, and to preserve the little momentum I have.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:37 pm UTC

I'm all for the thread condensation, because it gets difficult to find amusing new games. Cheers.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:08 pm UTC

Night of the Cephalopods

It's just a silly tentacle-horror shooting game. The fun part is that the action is narrated Lovecraft-style.
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

HighCharity

Postby HighCharity » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:06 pm UTC

Sorry if this has been posted. Xeno Tactic: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/382321 Perhaps the best game on Newgrounds?
folkhero wrote:I feel bad for the hooker, but that guy is too annoying to not make fun of.

Are Thefinvispol, Child wrote:Life is, in a word, caverns.

dbsmith

Postby dbsmith » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:50 am UTC

Hey Talon, any chance of some kinda simple game rating system? Wanna know easily what lotsa ppl like...

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:19 pm UTC

What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:12 am UTC

A agree with trimming the thread down, but some games posted here don't deserve to be in the same category. Like I think we could all safely agree to just remove the abortion cannon game from the list. (This statement guaranteed to cause someone to say they liked that game.) Easy way is you just give them a quick rating based on your opinion and/or how much people in this thread seemed to like it.

1 - only negative feedback
2 - ignored
3- someone said they liked it
4 - lots of people said they liked it.

The other way is to put all of the games listed previously into a poll and people can vote for which ones they thought were good. I'm not trying to make more work for you secondtalon, just trying to be helpful.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:21 pm UTC

...yeah, you can get on that. Personally, I think some of the best games posted here are ones that got no comments because, I don't know.. PuppyFartSim4 was posted right after it, making 8 people go "Awww!"

Anyway, if you want to work on a rating system like that, go for it. Work quick.

Unsticking, leaving for someone to use to make a rating system. Will be ignoring this thread for the sticky
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Re: Cool games on the interweb redux

Postby Babam » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:03 pm UTC

One of my first games, Refuse to be Colonized
This is the only game I ever submitted to the net, and I was presently surprised when it reached the 4th page of the highest rated games on EGP.
Enjoy and have fun.
EDIT
Just found this game on Armor Games
http://armorgames.com/play/2675/phage-wars
Tons of fun, check it out.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

Ptolom wrote:penis

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:45 pm UTC

I Am Raven wrote:A game with dice.

So.. this is the only time I'm going to do this.

Secondtalon wrote:Will be ignoring this thread for the sticky

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:41 pm UTC

Factory Balls 2: You get a white ball, a set of tools and a target. You have to use the tools on the ball to make it look like the target. Pretty interesting.
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

The Spherical Cow

Postby The Spherical Cow » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:05 pm UTC

Secondtalon wrote:Will be ignoring this thread for the sticky
I believe this should translate as STOP POSTING GAMES IN HERE. There is now another stickified thread, located at the top of the page, with all the other stickies.

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:32 pm UTC

Oh, my apologies. I thought this thread would be used to post games and the other one for the list. Sorry, again. :| Shouldn't this be locked then?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:39 am UTC

Well, the theory is that someone else (I'm sure as hell not doing it) could rate the games already posted, design a method for rating games, discuss it with everyone else, alter the ratings they've set, and supply a list and a ruleset that I can follow in the future in this thread.

But yeah, if that's not going to happen, I'll just lock it.

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:03 pm UTC

You linked travian twice (or is one to the international site and one to the American one?)

Anyway, since someone already got whirled I'll suggest OOO's first baby, puzzle pirates. It's pretty much free to play if you sign up on a DOUBLOON OCEAN. Doubloon Oceans use a "micro currency" format, there's the normal currency earned from beating brigands and such in the game (PoE) and then there's another one (Doubloons). Doubloons can be bought with PoE, or they can be bought with real money. I've been playing the game for nearly 3 years and have never had to buy Doubloons with real money (although I did buy some to safe guard my account from deletion in case I go idle for a long time).

That means unless you want to pay a subscription to be able to play certain puzzles, purchase certain weapons and clothing, and be able to be ranked higher than a cabin person do not sign up on Midnight or Cobalt (also these two oceans have a dying player base sortof they're the oldest and many of the players have migrated to the Doubloon Oceans). Sign up on Sage, Hunter, Viridian, or Malachite. Also a quick breakdown of the generic (stereotypical) ocean culture.
Spoiler:
Viridian=mostly American, highest population, boring blockade game, Sage=lots of people from all parts of the planet very active blockade game, Hunter= well everyone calls people from there Huntards, but there ARE good players..overall it's skill level is the weakest though, and the blockade game is zergirific. Malachite=new ocean, all I can say about it is it's got very pretty islands and I would move there if I wasn't already well established and attached to my Flag (guild) on Sage.

I talk about the blockade game, because it's the only thing that's different from ocean to ocean since it's dependent on the players, parlor games and such are pretty much the same across the board skill-wise as far as I'm aware since some of the best known players travel from ocean to ocean looking for new competition.
If you happen to sign up on Sage PM me here or find me there, names Lorenith. :P

The other game I wanted to mention was Dofus, it's a fun MMORPG/Strategy game, the artwork is a neat fusion of Eastern and Asian influences, battles are carried out like in Final Fantasy Tactics, or Shining Force. It's playable solo, but more enjoyable to play with one or two others. This one requires a small subscription to play in areas that are>lv 25 or so, I think it'll be worth it, I haven't subbed to it yet because we can't afford the tiny $6.9 a month sub cost, but we plan on it when we have more money at our disposal. :P

Levi

Postby Levi » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:54 am UTC

Warzone 2100

This game has to be installed but it is rather awesome, IMHO. Runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux. It's a little bit old so the graphics aren't very good. The tech tree is absolutely huge and there are no set vehicles, one must research parts and then design a vehicle using the parts.

Coin

Postby Coin » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:46 am UTC

Hehe, I still have a copy of the original at home :)
Nice of them to revive it, although the "build your own units" is a bit tricky when it's in an RTS unless you can create some templates. I could never get a hang of it but maybe I didn't practice enough...
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:01 pm UTC

Babamthegrunt wrote:Just found this game on Armor Games

YES! It is. I played all of em, and I think the light purple is the most fun to play. :)

cheshirecatomsk

Postby cheshirecatomsk » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:52 pm UTC

This game is pretty sweet and I didn't see it on the list:
Auditorium
If I was better at it, I might enjoy it more, but even though I'm bad at it, I still can have fun with it.

Link allowed for being nifty. Go check the rules thread. - ST

Sorry, should have read the rules first, eh heh...
Last edited by cheshirecatomsk on Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:24 am UTC

I Am Raven wrote:
Babamthegrunt wrote:Just found this game on Armor Games

YES! It is. I played all of em, and I think the light purple is the most fun to play. :)

Loved this one too. Kinda disappointing that it just says LOL RESET when you've done all the colours. :|
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:59 am UTC

cheshirecatomsk wrote:This game is pretty sweet and I didn't see it on the list:
Auditorium
If I was better at it, I might enjoy it more, but even though I'm bad at it, I still can have fun with it.

Wow. This is really awesome. Got to the end of the currently available levels. Some are pretty hard.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:57 am UTC

How is 'a walk in the park' a game?
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Blatm

Postby Blatm » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:51 am UTC

el_loco_avs wrote:
cheshirecatomsk wrote:This game is pretty sweet and I didn't see it on the list:
Auditorium

Wow. This is really awesome. Got to the end of the currently available levels. Some are pretty hard.

Very very neat. I can't wait for them to make more levels.
And yes, some are pretty hard. Fuck 2:5, for instance.

Kerberos

Postby Kerberos » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:22 am UTC

Blatm wrote:
el_loco_avs wrote:
Auditorium

Yeah, that and the last level of Act 3 both almost made me give up. But that game does indeed have niftiness worth violating the rules for.

Also, I might suggest replacing the current link of World of Goo with this one. It's more authentic-looking (I, at least, veer away from downloading anything from fora) and also has a link to buy the game as well as a free demo download place.

I can't say enough about how cool World of Goo is, by the way. Physics-based puzzle game with terribly cute art and sound, great music, wonderful level design, and... well, it's just outrageously awesome. And I have only played the demo (first world of six) so far, but if the other five worlds are even half as fun (they will probably be more fun), it will deserve praise seven-halves as effusive as I give it here.

I hope it's okay to give such encomia on these fora to a game that you buy, but I will fight to the death anyone who doesn't agree that the game is worth the termination of my account. Pistols. Tomorrow at noon by the lake.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:17 am UTC

Mental Floss just recomended I made this, You play it, we are enemies. (possibly one of those sites you should avoid if you have epilepsy) It is kind of impossible and trippy.

kinigget

Postby kinigget » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:46 pm UTC

trippy hell yes, weird, many much. Impossible? well, it claimed that I beat it. . . not sure whether to trust the bloody thing or not.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I can tell from his word choice that he is using his penis to type.

Steax wrote:I think the courts are kinda busy right now. Something about cake and due process.

HighCharity

Postby HighCharity » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:49 am UTC

Mud and Blood 2. Found that game through Kongregate. I know it's been posted before, but...MUD AND BLOOD 2. One of his (the creator's) current projects
folkhero wrote:I feel bad for the hooker, but that guy is too annoying to not make fun of.

Are Thefinvispol, Child wrote:Life is, in a word, caverns.

wst

Postby wst » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:43 pm UTC

Kerberos wrote:
Blatm wrote:
el_loco_avs wrote:
Auditorium

Yeah, that and the last level of Act 3 both almost made me give up. But that game does indeed have niftiness worth violating the rules for.
Fix'd the quote stickyoutness.
got to 3:2 so far. Will finish tomorrow. Addictive.

Does it have to just be 'non-install' things? I have Plasma Pong, I can't remember where I got it, but it's a Windoze installable and fricking awesome if you can find it. Google for screenies.
Actually, now I remember, there's one version of plasma pong, non-install, zipped .exe and extra files (music for it basically).
The site is down due to atari, if I find the original zip I'll find a host somewhere for you all :D
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:49 am UTC

kinigget wrote:trippy hell yes, weird, many much. Impossible? well, it claimed that I beat it. . . not sure whether to trust the bloody thing or not.

Seemed like it might be frustrating to some, when I wrote that a a quarter past 3am.

One thing I really like about computer/intarwub games is how they can make information very easily accessible. Even if it's biased, distorted, pointless, or what not, interacting with ideas makes it easy to learn about something. I found Oiligarchy to be fairly neat.

fishyfish777

Postby fishyfish777 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:30 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:Mental Floss just recomended I made this, You play it, we are enemies. (possibly one of those sites you should avoid if you have epilepsy) It is kind of impossible and trippy.

Where is level 12?
Neon Rain wrote:And somehow we humans can invent scanning-probe microscopes that can "see" individual atoms, yet still can't invent a machine that can reliably scan tests not taken with a #2 pencil.

Phrozt

Postby Phrozt » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:45 pm UTC

Not sure if it still exists, but http://progressquest.com/

coolest game in existence.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:12 pm UTC

Phrozt wrote:Not sure if it still exists, but http://progressquest.com/

coolest game in existence.

This thread is about cool games on the internet. I think PQ doesn't quite count.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

korora

Postby korora » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:07 pm UTC

Minotaur China Shop.

From the creators of
Spoiler:
Off-Road Velociraptor Safari (sorry, ST) and Jetpack Brontosaurus
Last.fm|Steam|Xbox LIVE|23||
[8:22pm] cf: you know what i like?
[8:23pm] Tigerlion: what do you like, CF?
[8:23pm] cf: you guys
[8:24pm] cf: man...out of all the things that could have come to my head...that was by far the lamest

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:56 pm UTC

That. Is awesome.

Blatm

Postby Blatm » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:31 pm UTC

I think JBall is fun.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:42 pm UTC

Holy crap, someone reinvented JezzBall.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Return to “Gaming”