Cool games on the interweb

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
BoomFrog
Posts: 1069
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:59 am UTC
Location: Seattle

Re: Cool games on the interweb

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:06 am UTC

Kerberos wrote:
aeiss wrote:..and then it got really really repetitive trying to get all the awards for the damn impossible badge

Preposterous!

Must continue training. Must be able to consistently beat razor queen without items.

Speaking of which, is it okay to wear the reactive armor when you beat the RQ up? Does anyone know?


I highly recommend sprint once your going after huge nests, and the razor queen. It doesn't count as using an item against her FYI. And it's great for avoiding torchie death.

I found the best way to find a queen is to do fast progression bounty runs.

Also if your board with the game, switchover to hardcore mode. Skipping the boring starts increased the games lifespan for me.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

User avatar
Kerberos
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:41 am UTC
Location: Male

Re: Cool games on the interweb

Postby Kerberos » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:51 pm UTC

Hm, okay. I've already beaten her, but thanks for the advice.

Now my problem is with getting a normal queen. I need those last two pesky badges, and I haven't been able to kill even one yet. I usually try to find one by getting a big nest down to 1 or 2 glooples, then waiting, but almost always a razor queen or amorphous spawns and I have to kill it. Is there a better way to get a queen?

User avatar
BoomFrog
Posts: 1069
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:59 am UTC
Location: Seattle

Re: Cool games on the interweb

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:37 am UTC

Kerberos wrote:Hm, okay. I've already beaten her, but thanks for the advice.

Now my problem is with getting a normal queen. I need those last two pesky badges, and I haven't been able to kill even one yet. I usually try to find one by getting a big nest down to 1 or 2 glooples, then waiting, but almost always a razor queen or amorphous spawns and I have to kill it. Is there a better way to get a queen?


Red queens is one of the last badges for me to get also. When I did my 10 minute bounty run (on fast progress, hardcore mode :D ) I got two queens, but the both got ganked by other glooples before I could clear enough space to fight her properly. (One got run over by a grinder and the other exploded a torchie) Your method sounds like a pretty good way though, to be honest. It's weird that you got a razor queen to spawn without ever killing a queen...

Any advice on how to get 8 glooples in one swing, I've only managed 6 even with the ubersword.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

User avatar
Kerberos
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:41 am UTC
Location: Male

Re: Cool games on the interweb

Postby Kerberos » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:48 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:It's weird that you got a razor queen to spawn without ever killing a queen...

I've seen a queen, I just grenaded it and didn't get the badge. Maybe I've just been having luck with the razor queens. They seem to spawn pretty frequently (more so than, say, amorphouses or queens).

Any advice on how to get 8 glooples in one swing, I've only managed 6 even with the ubersword.

Clusters. Get them to completely bog you down, then spin around in circles. The ubersword will give you enough reach to hit 8 of the babies that flew off. I don't know if you can do this in practice, though.

User avatar
kanavazk
Posts: 323
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:15 am UTC
Location: Canada. (YOU STALKER!)

Re: Cool games on the interweb

Postby kanavazk » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:31 am UTC

I'm on FlashFlashRevolution a lot now. (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com)

I suck at it. Almost as much as I suck at DDR. Which I can't play because no one I know has the game anymore.
THIS IS FROM THE INTERENT!

User avatar
BoomFrog
Posts: 1069
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:59 am UTC
Location: Seattle

Re: Cool games on the interweb

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:35 am UTC

Kerberos wrote:Clusters. Get them to completely bog you down, then spin around in circles. The ubersword will give you enough reach to hit 8 of the babies that flew off. I don't know if you can do this in practice, though.


That did it. (on a small nest) Now I just need to figure out which ways I haven't died yet
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

User avatar
Kerberos
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:41 am UTC
Location: Male

Re: Cool games on the interweb

Postby Kerberos » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:11 pm UTC

I think the last couple of ways I died were being "piked" on a razor queen's spike balls and "hooked" by a horror or a razor queen's puffball.

User avatar
Raiku
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:11 pm UTC
Location: Your Fridge
Contact:

Re: Cool games on the interweb

Postby Raiku » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:11 pm UTC

Cool guys, looked through the list and it wasn't on it... so

Tribal Wars

Sweet game! Really good

User avatar
I Am Raven
Posts: 2416
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:09 am UTC
Location: Amsterdam.
Contact:

Re: Cool games on the interweb

Postby I Am Raven » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:06 pm UTC

The link leads to a site. But that's where it ends: no game(s), only adverts.
Ptolom wrote:penis

Token
Posts: 1481
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:07 pm UTC
Location: London

Re: Cool games on the interweb

Postby Token » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:55 pm UTC

A quick google reveals Tribal Wars. It's .net, not .com.
All posts are works in progress. If I posted something within the last hour, chances are I'm still editing it.

User avatar
Kerberos
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:41 am UTC
Location: Male

Re: Cool games on the interweb

Postby Kerberos » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:58 pm UTC

I noticed just now that there is a site called "congregate" that looks just like "kongregate" except that the urls include either "congregate" or "65.74.171.31." Maybe I'm just being paranoid and it's run by the same people, but it would be easier for them to just grab the domain name "congregate" and redirect to "kongregate," so I'd be wary about allowing JavaScript for them.

Just a thought.

User avatar
I Am Raven
Posts: 2416
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:09 am UTC
Location: Amsterdam.
Contact:

Re: Cool games on the interweb

Postby I Am Raven » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:06 pm UTC

Raiku wrote:Cool guys, looked through the list and it wasn't on it... so

Tribal Wars

Sweet game! Really good

Upon closer inspection of the game, I recognise a very addictive (though very cool) game. Happy gaming! :mrgreen:
Ptolom wrote:penis

User avatar
Raiku
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:11 pm UTC
Location: Your Fridge
Contact:

Re: Cool games on the interweb

Postby Raiku » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:47 pm UTC

This game's even better than tribal wars!

Tribal Hugs

This game is the most womanly thing ever! (In an effeminate way...)

User avatar
Kerberos
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:41 am UTC
Location: Male

Re: Cool games on the interweb

Postby Kerberos » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:30 pm UTC

What a... curious game.

User avatar
aion7
Posts: 1142
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:43 am UTC
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Re: Cool games on the interweb

Postby aion7 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:34 am UTC

Reset Generation is actually pretty good, even though it's made by Nokia (of N-Gage infame). Fairly cool turn based strategy, and it's occasionally funny. It does seem extremely cheap at times, though.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

User avatar
4=5
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:02 am UTC

Re: Cool games on the interweb

Postby 4=5 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:59 am UTC

it's a rather unfortunate decision they made to make it only work with internet explorer

User avatar
aion7
Posts: 1142
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:43 am UTC
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Re: Cool games on the interweb

Postby aion7 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:38 am UTC

I played it with Firefox. I did have massive lag at some points, though, and I was playing the single player.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

User avatar
4=5
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:02 am UTC

Re: Cool games on the interweb

Postby 4=5 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:56 pm UTC

I tried it with firefox (downloaded in may) and they again told me to try with internet explorer 6 or later

User avatar
I Am Raven
Posts: 2416
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:09 am UTC
Location: Amsterdam.
Contact:

Re: Cool games on the interweb

Postby I Am Raven » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:04 pm UTC

Shadez Black Operation.
Entertainment garateed.
Ptolom wrote:penis

User avatar
Kerberos
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:41 am UTC
Location: Male

Re: Cool games on the interweb

Postby Kerberos » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:55 pm UTC

Mm, I tried that but was somewhat irritated by the time I got to level 32 on the easy mode and still hadn't won.

My favorite tactic is calling two or more helicopters, four or more tanks, and lots of cannon fodder soldiers when there are about 15 seconds until the beginning of the round, and just as the round starts, calling an artillery strike on the right-hand edge of the field. In later levels I can even afford just summoning a couple helicopters throughout the level to deal with their helicopters, then killing all of the early ground units with artillery strikes. After a minute or two, they only send soldiers, and the helicopters can take out an endless procession of them.

Colorpod 2 is neat, by the way.

User avatar
Torvaun
Posts: 2615
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:23 pm UTC
Location: 47°9′S, 126°43′W
Contact:

Re: Cool games on the interweb

Postby Torvaun » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:26 pm UTC

OK, a friend of mine got me hooked on Alteil, now I'm passing it on to you. Darn my weakness for CCGs, and darn my friend, and darn GenCon where he learned about it.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

User avatar
I Am Raven
Posts: 2416
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:09 am UTC
Location: Amsterdam.
Contact:

Re: Cool games on the interweb

Postby I Am Raven » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:32 pm UTC

Kerberos wrote:Mm, I tried that but was somewhat irritated by the time I got to level 32 on the easy mode and still hadn't won.

My favorite tactic is calling two or more helicopters, four or more tanks, and lots of cannon fodder soldiers when there are about 15 seconds until the beginning of the round, and just as the round starts, calling an artillery strike on the right-hand edge of the field. In later levels I can even afford just summoning a couple helicopters throughout the level to deal with their helicopters, then killing all of the early ground units with artillery strikes. After a minute or two, they only send soldiers, and the helicopters can take out an endless procession of them.

Colorpod 2 is neat, by the way.

Yeah, I think I was in level 14 when I was like: LINKITY! But it gets repetitive indeed. 25 was boring, 35 was just near torture.
Ptolom wrote:penis

User avatar
aion7
Posts: 1142
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:43 am UTC
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Re: Cool games on the interweb

Postby aion7 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:58 pm UTC

Kerberos wrote:Colorpod 2 is neat, by the way.


Yes. Very neat. It gets to be fairly hectic around the time the fourth, fifth and sixth colors are introduced, along with those damn teleporting squares.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

User avatar
Kerberos
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:41 am UTC
Location: Male

Re: Cool games on the interweb

Postby Kerberos » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:54 am UTC

I find the squares bearable; it's the little semi-annuli that spawn people that get on my nerves. That and the last level that goes on forever with bazillions of guys. I think that high-level orange and blue is where it's at, especially for that level.

I got this funny color magnet a couple of games that was a solid color, instead of three different colors. It wouldn't change when I shifted dimensions, and when I destroyed it (or a little after that), my blue level got set to the infinity symbol and it got an awesome cooldown. It seems like it's probably not a glitch, if they went to the trouble of making an infinity symbol, but it seems strange. Does anyone else get it, with the same or different effects?

P.S.: RAGDOLL CANNON 2

User avatar
I Am Raven
Posts: 2416
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:09 am UTC
Location: Amsterdam.
Contact:

Re: Cool games on the interweb

Postby I Am Raven » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:57 pm UTC

@Colorpod 2: It's a bit too abstract for my liking. I gave it a try, but didn't venture past level 2.
Also: Ragdoll cannon 2 is a bit much of the same, if you ask me.
Ptolom wrote:penis

User avatar
knight427
Worshipful Sycophant
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 6:45 pm UTC
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Cool games on the interweb

Postby knight427 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:12 pm UTC

M.qrius wrote:
Image

For crying out loud. That shade is lighter than either of the individual shades.


I believe it has to do with additive and subtractive combination of colors.

When you mix paints, you are subtracting light frequencies because each paint is reflecting only certain frequencies and absorbing the rest. Mixing them together increases the amount of frequencies being absorbed and the shade moves closer to black/gray/brown (get's darker).

When you add light, the frequencies are added together, increasing the number of frequencies, moving the shade closer to white (get's lighter).

So this seems to be additive combining of colors (like a projector) rather than subtractive (like mixing paint).
knight427

If you GIVE a zombie a fish, you will feed him for minute.
If you TEACH a zombie to fish, he will be munching on you for hours.

Token
Posts: 1481
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:07 pm UTC
Location: London

Re: Cool games on the interweb

Postby Token » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:10 pm UTC

It's still wrong. This is the correct average:

correctcolours.PNG
correctcolours.PNG (2.64 KiB) Viewed 5582 times
All posts are works in progress. If I posted something within the last hour, chances are I'm still editing it.

User avatar
I Am Raven
Posts: 2416
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:09 am UTC
Location: Amsterdam.
Contact:

Re: Cool games on the interweb

Postby I Am Raven » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:06 pm UTC

Ptolom wrote:penis

User avatar
aion7
Posts: 1142
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:43 am UTC
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Re: Cool games on the interweb

Postby aion7 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:21 pm UTC

I Am Raven wrote:AWESOMENESS UNLIMITED!!1

It's lag-tastic!
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

User avatar
Kerberos
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:41 am UTC
Location: Male

Re: Cool games on the interweb

Postby Kerberos » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:17 am UTC

Not for me!

Although I do find it kind of dull after playing it for a bit.

aeiss
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:33 am UTC
Location: sydney

Re: Cool games on the interweb

Postby aeiss » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:51 am UTC

Kerberos wrote:I noticed just now that there is a site called "congregate" that looks just like "kongregate" except that the urls include either "congregate" or "65.74.171.31." Maybe I'm just being paranoid and it's run by the same people, but it would be easier for them to just grab the domain name "congregate" and redirect to "kongregate," so I'd be wary about allowing JavaScript for them.

Just a thought.


It's the same site. There's a thread on their forums somewhere where a bunch of people kicked up a big fuss about it, but then greg replied saying they have common misspellings registered. Seems a bit odd not to do a straight redirect, though.

User avatar
I Am Raven
Posts: 2416
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:09 am UTC
Location: Amsterdam.
Contact:

Re: Cool games on the interweb

Postby I Am Raven » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:56 pm UTC

aion7 wrote:
I Am Raven wrote:AWESOMENESS UNLIMITED!!1

It's lag-tastic!

I must say:
That's 1-0 for you.
Ptolom wrote:penis

User avatar
Kerberos
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:41 am UTC
Location: Male

Re: Cool games on the interweb

Postby Kerberos » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:34 pm UTC

I Am Raven wrote:
aion7 wrote:
I Am Raven wrote:AWESOMENESS UNLIMITED!!1

It's lag-tastic!

I must say:
That's 1-0 for you.

I don't know if that's an insult to his taste in games, or the opposite.

Also, I understand the C/Kongregate stuff now, thank you.

Also, this game is rather pleasant.

User avatar
mrbaggins
Posts: 1611
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:23 am UTC
Location: Wagga, Australia

Re: Cool games on the interweb

Postby mrbaggins » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:47 am UTC

Token wrote:It's still wrong. This is the correct average:

correctcolours.PNG


Yes, that is the correct AVERAGE.

The correct addition operand gets the colour they expected.

If you do it with Gimp or Photoshop, choose "Lighten" as your blend.
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

User avatar
M.qrius
Rainbow Brite
Posts: 519
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:54 am UTC
Location: Rainbow's end
Contact:

Re: Cool games on the interweb

Postby M.qrius » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:33 am UTC

mrbaggins wrote:
Token wrote:It's still wrong. This is the correct average:

correctcolours.PNG


Yes, that is the correct AVERAGE.

The correct addition operand gets the colour they expected.

If you do it with Gimp or Photoshop, choose "Lighten" as your blend.

Sooo... they expect me to do photoshop filters in my head?

Anyway, I'm overreacting. That one is just the one that seems wrong to me. The others roughly make sense.

User avatar
I Am Raven
Posts: 2416
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:09 am UTC
Location: Amsterdam.
Contact:

Re: Cool games on the interweb

Postby I Am Raven » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:24 pm UTC

Kerberos wrote:I don't know if that's an insult to his taste in games, or the opposite.

Also, I understand the C/Kongregate stuff now, thank you.

Also, this game is rather pleasant.


It means that it lagged for me as well, and I'm saying he's got good humor.
Ptolom wrote:penis

User avatar
aion7
Posts: 1142
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:43 am UTC
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Re: Cool games on the interweb

Postby aion7 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:24 pm UTC

I'll be here all week, assuming that the week ends on Monday.

Anyway, this game is rather fun for an advertisement. The first two levels are cool, but the third and fourth are annoying and illogical.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

User avatar
BoomFrog
Posts: 1069
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:59 am UTC
Location: Seattle

Re: Cool games on the interweb

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:15 pm UTC

aion7 wrote:I'll be here all week, assuming that the week ends on Monday.

Anyway, this game is rather fun for an advertisement. The first two levels are cool, but the third and fourth are annoying and illogical.


The indestructible jumping tank was cool, but a helicopter shooting down helicopters was illogical?!

Pretty fun, super short, but good for a laugh once.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

mxyzptlk
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:20 pm UTC

Re: Cool games on the interweb

Postby mxyzptlk » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:31 pm UTC

http://mazzanet.id.au/ball.php

Flash equivalent of cup and ball-on-a-string.

User avatar
Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank
Posts: 2707
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 5:51 am UTC
Location: Bergen, Norway
Contact:

Re: Cool games on the interweb

Postby Berengal » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:04 am UTC

mxyzptlk wrote:http://mazzanet.id.au/ball.php

Flash equivalent of cup and ball-on-a-string.

Fun until I realized it only turned up the same colours over and over...

But I loved the physics of it.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.


Return to “Gaming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests