Recommend a Game

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

New User

Re: Recommend a Game

Postby New User » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:57 pm UTC

Should this thread be merged with the stickied game recommendations thread?
No. See your PMs for the why. -ST

bullard

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby bullard » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:59 am UTC

I think Dirt (Codemasters) is the best sport racing game I ever played. The graphic is beautiful and the gameplay is awesome and very realistic.

I firstly play this game in my PSone when the game known as Collin McRae Rally. And I loved this game very much. It is the best graphic for racing game in PSone.

morjax

Postby morjax » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:07 pm UTC

PseudoQuest! This browser based game was made from scratch by a friend of mine (I'll try not to get too preachy). The only thing he didn't do himself is some of the art. It's still gaining momentum, which is actually nice because a lot of the suggestions we players make get put into the game. We have been doing some major UI and game mechanic improvements recently, and there's always more in the works. One of the best parts is that it's full of puns (like a lot) and is somewhat of a parody of the whole RPG genre, while still being an homage to many great RPGs. So that's my spiel.

P.S. put "morjax" in your referred by field to get a bonus.

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:23 pm UTC

Dungeon Keeper and Dungeon Keeper 2

Play as the bad guys, slap around minions, torture and convert enemies, and possess minions for 1st person action. These 2 had a lot of concepts that I hadn't seen for the genre and havent seen since.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:34 pm UTC

The closest thing I've seen to a successor was Evil Genius. Had several similar concepts and playstyle and so on.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:19 pm UTC

There's also Holy Invasion of Privacy Badman, but that is PSP only.
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/namaik ... aikida.htm

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:56 pm UTC

Yeah, but that's.. I mean, it's basically Dungeon Keeper on the NES. Yeah, it's got strategic depth, sure.. but it's not the same.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Keand64

Postby Keand64 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:09 am UTC

Aquaria: One of the closest things to a favorite game I've had, and literally the most beautiful game I've played. It's a metroidvania that takes place entireyly underwater, and the plot revolves around killing fallen ocean gods. Everytime you beat a boss, you get the ability to transform into a sort of persona of the god, as well as a cutscene. The plot gets pretty interesting towards the end, but I won't spoil it ^^. The graphics, as I said, are really beautiful, not just in that they're good graphics, but the scenery and ambiance of it too. The only con I can think of is that the tutorials only tell you the mouse controls, not any of the keyboard ones, (and you really need to use the keyboard controls to have any precision when you move).
CorruptUser wrote:That's how the robots will takeover. Sentient spambots.

In the future, man will be required by law to enlarge his penis and use vicodin, and on occasion, donate $5000 to a Nigerian.

Laelaps

Postby Laelaps » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:49 pm UTC

Chip's Challenge - a PC puzzle game that is excellent with regards to gameplay, story, music, graphics, and difficulty. I love that game.

Waldo

Postby Waldo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:24 pm UTC

I'm sure it's been recommended in here before, but I'ma give another recommendation for Allegiance. It's a sort of first-person space fighter sim/strategy thing, and I'm terrible at it. But it's loads of fun. And we could use some more players :P
[Signature pending...]

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:01 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:The closest thing I've seen to a successor was Evil Genius. Had several similar concepts and playstyle and so on.

Well, there's also this game Dungeons coming out on Steam sometime soon.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:07 pm UTC

I'm wandering in here to say Enslaved: Odyssey to the West needs a recommendation, because it is cheap and went much too overlooked. It's not a game that you'll find absolutely amazing, but I found it quite fun and was pleasantly surprised when I played it. It doesn't really add anything new and it's pretty easy (you can't really 'fail' at climbing for the most part), but that's about the worst I can say about it, which is a good thing.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:01 pm UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:The closest thing I've seen to a successor was Evil Genius. Had several similar concepts and playstyle and so on.

Well, there's also this game Dungeons coming out on Steam sometime soon.

This is bad game.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:27 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:I'm wandering in here to say Enslaved: Odyssey to the West needs a recommendation, because it is cheap and went much too overlooked. It's not a game that you'll find absolutely amazing, but I found it quite fun and was pleasantly surprised when I played it. It doesn't really add anything new and it's pretty easy (you can't really 'fail' at climbing for the most part), but that's about the worst I can say about it, which is a good thing.
Speaking of games being a pleasant surprise. I had a free game-rental coupon a few months back. Went into Blockbuster and nothing was really standing out, so I grabbed Risen for the 360. The cover had a generic sort of fantasy feel. And there were some actiony shots on the back.

For some reason it really drew me in. It was obviously very un-polished in some areas. The fighting wasn't terribly interesting; it wasn't awful, either. The user-interface could be pretty frustrating at times. And honestly the plot wasn't even that special. But it was a fun sandbox game and the environments and music were pretty nice. I ended up buying it used for $20 and even though I only had half of the game to go through by the time I had to return the rental, I still feel like I got my $20 worth.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

IcedT

Postby IcedT » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:39 am UTC

I've been playing Persona 4 to death recently, so I'm offering it up as an unsolicited recommendation. For everybody.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:47 pm UTC

IcedT wrote:I've been playing Persona 4 to death recently, so I'm offering it up as an unsolicited recommendation. For everybody.

Then you might want to try P3P: better mechanics, better story...

3fj

Postby 3fj » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:22 am UTC

Deponia. A really nice, modern adventure game.

Has a button specifically to avoid pixel hunting (While pressed, all clickable objects become screws, all exits become arrows).
As you'd expect the story is what holds it together. The characters are really well written for the most part* and everything is voiced. It takes a lot of cues from Monkey Island, but is definitely a unique spin on things. If you're looking for a good adventure game that was made in the last short while and the Double Fine Adventure isn't out yet, consider giving this a try.

* Note: One character is pretty transphobic; of the woman with stubble switching between gruff manvoice and high pitched ladyvoice flavour.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

ran88dom99

Postby ran88dom99 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:31 am UTC

WilliamTheConqueror

Postby WilliamTheConqueror » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:36 pm UTC

I seriously recommend 7 Wonders, which is a board/card game (Wikipedia calls it a "dedicated deck card game") with the premise of building a civilization in order to get the most victory points. It runs for about 30 minutes per session, and in my experience, has a really high replay value. It's one of my favourites.

I also recommend Betrayal at House on the Hill. You basically explore a haunted house tile by tile, so each game is different. The gameplay is kind of complex and hard to explain though, so I'll leave it to you guys to read the wiki page. :D
addams wrote:Fucking Nature.

Tomlidich the second wrote:You cannot surgically graft enough middle fingers to my body to express how fed up I am with this.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:32 pm UTC

It's really not that complex. You move to an unexplored room, draw a room card and follow the instructions on the card. Eventually the Haunt happens, and the Haunt is based on the room it occurred in and the item that caused it, meaning there's... a shitload of haunts. I forget the exact number, something like 50 or 100.

At any rate, the haunt explains the extra rules that are in effect and the win conditions.

Everything else is explained on the cards.

I mean, in a lot of ways it's simpler than Settlers of Catan, and Settlers is not a complicated game.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:It's really not that complex. You move to an unexplored room, draw a room card and follow the instructions on the card. Eventually the Haunt happens, and the Haunt is based on the room it occurred in and the item that caused it, meaning there's... a shitload of haunts. I forget the exact number, something like 50 or 100.

At any rate, the haunt explains the extra rules that are in effect and the win conditions.

Everything else is explained on the cards.

I mean, in a lot of ways it's simpler than Settlers of Catan, and Settlers is not a complicated game.

50 Haunts, chosen by cross-referencing one of 13 rooms against one of 13 items (so each Haunt should appear 3-4 times on the chart)

Tabletop played Betrayal recently: Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MINNKyE4fjs Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgbQwxQIhbw

gilan

Postby gilan » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:55 am UTC

Are we allowed to recommend games that we personally designed, programmed, and sell? :wink:
Trying to make games for smart people since 1986. http://beacegames.nfshost.com/

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:33 pm UTC

Board games:

I never turn down a chance to play Battlestar Galactica (particularly with the Daybreak expansion - I'm fairly agnostic on the other two) - based on the 2003 reboot, with lots of references to the show, but not very many spoilers, it's a co-op game with hidden traitor(s) that plays in about 3-4 hours (some experienced groups report under 2 hours; I've heard times up to 6 hours). The basic premise is all you really need to know in order to understand the game: sci-fi society creates Cylons, robot slaves. Cylons rebel. Round 1 ends in a draw, but round 2 has just happened, with a surprise attack by the Cylons wiping out almost all the humans. All that remains of human society is a refugee fleet of civilian vessels, and the last Battlestar (a combination aircraft carrier and battleship), trying to find a legendary safe haven. Some of the Cylons look human, and some of them are programmed sleeper agents - not knowing they're anything but human until their programming kicks in.

In the game, each of you plays a character from the show, and the hidden Cylons among you can know from the start, or can find out about halfway through the game. The Cylons win if any of four resources is wiped out, if they manage to get a boarding party aboard to openly sabotage the ship, or if they manage to blow Galactica up through accumulated combat damage. The humans win if they can keep the Cylons from winning long enough. You can move freely between locations aboard Galactica and take the action on that space to try to cope with the Cylon onslaught, and every turn ends with a "crisis" from a deck of them, many of which require a "skill check" to avoid nasty things happening, but are also the only way of progressing toward human victory. Skill checks are probably the single most important mechanic - each player has a hand of skill cards, which have a numerical value, a colour, and an effect. Each skill check has a target number and a list of colours which are positive for that check. Everyone plays as many cards as they like, the ones which are positive have their numbers added up, the ones which are negative have their numbers subtracted from the total, and if the final total is at least the target, you pass the check and avoid the bad outcome. Why would there be negative cards in the check? Firstly, cards are played in face down and then shuffled, so the only evidence of who played which card is who can draw that colour. Secondly, every check includes two cards from a special deck made with cards of each colour, so even if one or two negative cards appear, that could just be bad luck rather than active sabotage.

The other game that currently has my interest is XCOM: The Board Game. Based primarily on the 2012 video game XCOM: Enemy Unknown, the other main headline about it is the (free) required companion app. It's fully co-op for up to 4 players and plays in about an hour. There are 4 roles, divided amongst the players, each of whom is responsible for one area of operations: the Chief Scientist is responsible for researching new technologies - unlocking new bonuses for the other roles (and himself); the Squad Leader is responsible for the ground troops, both defending the base from alien invasion (a loss condition) and completing missions (the sole win condition); the Commander is responsible for the budget, has some control over the deck of crisis cards, and is responsible for the Interceptors and air combat; finally, the Central Officer is responsible for the app, and for using satellites to counter any UFOs in orbit, as well as having a limited ability to interfere in any role's sphere of responsibility. You lose if XCOM's base is destroyed, or if 2 continents fall into panic (panic levels rise primarily when you fail to shoot down UFOs)

The game plays over a number of rounds (typically 4-7 - in theory you could lose on round 2, or the game could continue indefinitely) which are divided into a timed phase and a resolution phase. During the timed phase, the app goes through a number of steps in a semi-random order, each of which has its own time limit, with a limited amount of pause time available. Each role gets an opportunity to assign their units to the relevant tasks (scientists to research, interceptors to air combat, soldiers to base defense and mission, satellites to orbital defense - each unit assigned costs 1 credit from the round's budget) as well as some upkeep actions - Chief Scientist refills the hand of available technologies, Commander gets money (the budget, up to 14 credits, and "emergency funding" - a non-renewing supply that starts at 10 credits), Squad Leader gets to choose a new mission. All of these things can be missed/skipped if the time limit runs out before you do them. Then there are the alien actions, each of which can happen multiple times in the same timed phase - Central adds UFOs to the board, Squad Leader adds aliens attacking the base, Commander chooses one of two crises from the deck to add to a crisis pool. There are also cards that give the roles additional actions to be taken during the timed phase - either during the allotted time for another action, or at the end of the timed phase, when any unspent pause time is available to use those extra actions.

In the resolution phase, the same steps always happen in the same order, though the app still walks you through them. After some upkeep-y stuff (checking the budget, spending any surplus on recruiting units, and resolving the crisis pool) each role in turn resolves their tasks. It's the same mechanism for each player: roll some dice, apply the results, and decide whether to push your luck. Each roll is 1 alien die and as many XCOM dice as there are units assigned to the task (plus extras as applicable). XCOM dice come up "success" or blank, with successes contributing to the task - research and ground combat tasks require a number of successes to be accumulated; each success against UFOs destroys one UFO. The alien die is a standard d8, and if you fail to beat the current "threat level", then, while you still count any successes rolled, you lose all the units assigned to that roll (scientists and satellites are just "exhausted" and unavailable next round; interceptors and soldiers return to the recruitment pool and cost money to replace). Each time you reroll, threat level increases (from the starting 1 to a maximum of 5), so your odds of not losing units drop pretty quickly. Once you move on from a task (having completed it, lost your assigned units, or decided to quit tempting fate) the threat resets for the next task, though any accumulated successes stay in place. The Squad Leader has some additional rules - threat accumulates across several tasks for them, but they're the only one who can choose not to risk all their assigned units on each roll (though they do roll fewer dice that way). Once everyone's done rolling, the app asks for some information about the state of the board - have you triggered a loss condition, where are the six continents on the panic track, did you successfully complete a mission - and then you reset ready for the next round - discard piles are put on the bottom of their decks, assigned units are recalled, any "exhausted" (because "tapped" is Hasbro's IP) cards "refresh" ("untap") and you start the timed phase again.

Depending on how many missions you complete, any time from Round 4 onward, the app tells you to unlock the Final Mission, after which no more missions unlock, and there are a couple of extra steps to the resolution phase - attempting the final mission and telling the app if you've won the game. There are 5 different Invasion Plans with the game, each of which leads to a slightly different final mission, and changes the app's behaviour during the game - one plan focuses on attacking the base; another picks one continent each round to swarm with UFOs; another gives you extra crises; another is fairly balanced but gives you less money; and the last piles UFOs in orbit, and messes with what the app tells you.

It's not really a boardgame version of the videogame, but it is a reimagining, inspired by the videogame the same way the videogame was inspired by earlier XCOM games. The app and timer massively reduces the standard co-op problem of one player playing the game solo while the other players help them move pieces, and the superficial polish is excellent - the most serious complaints people have about the presentation of the game are only coming with 4 XCOM dice (a lot of the time you'll only roll 1-3, but you'll roll 5-8 at least once in most games, and it's theoretically possible to get up to 14 dice) and the complete lack of a printed rulebook - instead, the app comes with a decent tutorial, and a rules reference that resembles a Microsoft help file. Mechanically, the major complaint is that the push-your-luck dice-rolling mechanic is a push-your-luck dice-rolling mechanic - the game offers a lot of luck-mitigation options (particularly if your Chief Scientist researches the right techs) but, ultimately, sufficiently terrible luck will cost you the game... A more valid criticism is that, during the resolution phase, you can easily end up sitting around while someone else rolls dice repeatedly - it's up to you to be engaged by it because the game only offers a little cross-role interaction...

Kristen23

Postby Kristen23 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:56 am UTC

My husband is a huge fan of racing games and plays for hours on end on his PC. Coming from him, here are the games which are right on top of his list:

GTR Evolution: A great racing simulator that is very realistic and a great game with all the right features and realism. The highlight of this one is that it has tracks made from real world sites and plenty of real cars.

F1 2012: Spotlights all of the official teams, drivers and circuits from the 2012 Formula One World Championship.

Shift 2: Unleashed: Perfect graphics, an enhanced driving model and the view from the cockpit is so awesome you just can't have enough of it.

Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2012): This one is the ultimate game when it comes to racing. An extremely engaging open world-racer game.

If you're interested in sports games, you could check out this online NFL game for instance. Also, some others with extremely good graphics are - Destiny: Nominated for the BAFTA 2015 Game Award for Game Design; Tomb Raider: Lara Croft is more realistic than ever in this one and Quantum Break: Centres around a failed time travel experiment that gives the main characters in the game the ability to manipulate time.

Return to “Gaming”