Warhammer Online

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction

Re: Warhammer Online

Postby KingLoser » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:42 am UTC

Work's kinda kickin the shit outta me this week. May be absent til weekend.
Add me on: Last.fm | Facebook | Flickr doodz.
Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt díog dúnta.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:20 am UTC

I work 2-8 Sun, Tues, Weds, Thurs, Fri anyway. So I'm pretty sporadic in when I'm getting on the game.

diotimajsh

Postby diotimajsh » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:21 pm UTC

In my experience so far, the starter areas are usually still pretty full of players, although I don't really know what it will be like come April.

I'm another xkcd'er playing WAR, 'though I doubt on the same servers are anyone else here. I play Order on the Oceanic server Ironclaw, and I have a Destruction alt on the North American Open RvR Praag.

Mythic needs to make Order seem way cooler than they are right now, the population imbalance is still pretty impressive. I mean, I spend most of my time as Order, but secretly I'd prefer Destruction too...
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:46 pm UTC

Yeah, we're on European servers.

And I don't get why Destruction seems automatically cooler than Order. I get to have a lion, how badass is that?!

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:04 pm UTC

Yoo sayin' dat furry git's got moar fightin' dan Orkz!?

But, yeah, more should play order. We have guns. And Dwarves.

KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction

Postby KingLoser » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:23 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:Yeah, we're on European servers.

And I don't get why Destruction seems automatically cooler than Order. I get to have a lion, how badass is that?!

I think it's the Horde/Alliance stereotype carrying over... what people are failing to realise is that it was because the Alliance had the overwhelming majority it attracted most of the nubtards.

Same is happening on Destruction. Another forum I used rolled mainly Destruction, so now I get to run around saying "I told you so.." (albeit, alone with Jesse and his Jenny :3 )

diotimajsh

Postby diotimajsh » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:32 am UTC

The cynical part of me wants to blame how two of the Destro classes feature very scantily clad dark elf women, but on the other hand, I almost get the impression that Witch Elves are a slightly less popular class. Always seems to be a ton of Destruction tanks running around, though.
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:12 pm UTC

OKay guys, we're starting the xkcd guild up on Karak Eight Peaks, but until a few more of our friends get around to joining in at christmas, it'd be nice if some of you guys playing on different servers could maybe hit up an alt on K8P to join in with us.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:36 pm UTC

Okay, clearly you need incentives. Any membor of the xkcd guild may choose his title on the fora and I will set it to that. Happy?

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:47 pm UTC

Occam's Taser.

Edit: Hey cool! Sorry, other guys: I win.

Edit 2: I'm a level 3 Dwarven Ironbeaker called Felstaff on K8P. Jesse I didn't get your mail on Karak Hirn for over a week. I never even noticed a mail notification. I just randomly clicked a mailbox and was pleasantly surprised.

It's a fun game, but disjointed with the scenarios. It's like playing a very fun series of TF2 matches, with the end of one map leading onto the next, in one big perpetual war. My free trial runs out (today?) though, so I'm going to start questioning whether I want to give up WoW or LotRO. I really can't afford 3 MMOs on the hoof.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:41 pm UTC

I'm really enjoying it, the RvR is more satisfying than WoW's PvP for me, and the public quests are at times hilarious. The High Elf ones seem downright impossible at times.

KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction

Postby KingLoser » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:51 am UTC

I'm liking it so far too. Seems a lot of people are falling back to WoW now though, it's pretty crazy people would expect the polish on the game to be up to WoW's standards at this point.

Ding'd 20 today, got my horsie! :D

Mane
21th Century African?

Postby Mane » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:15 pm UTC

Yuri2356 wrote:But, yeah, more should play order. We have guns. And Dwarves.

Sold.

but seriously, is this game worth trying?

KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction

Postby KingLoser » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:20 pm UTC

Yeah, I think so. It's starting to feel a little grindy for me at level 20 now, but that might just be me. The PvP (or RvR) is the best I've played in any MMO.

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:51 pm UTC

KingLoser wrote:Yeah, I think so. It's starting to feel a little grindy for me at level 20 now, but that might just be me. The PvP (or RvR) is the best I've played in any MMO.

I slightly prefer DAoC's RvR, but it may be just because it's what I'm used to.
broken_escalator wrote:The Mako is powered by the rage of the physics it denies.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:57 am UTC

I am thinking of not carrying on once my subscription runs out. It's a fun game, but I don't really have the time to sink into it.

KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction

Postby KingLoser » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:52 pm UTC

Yeah, my sub ran out already, and I'm thinkin about waiting until xmas to renew when (hopefully) more people will be playing.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:18 pm UTC

Same, let me know if it picks up some people and I'll jump back in.

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:42 pm UTC

Picks up some people? Have you considered joining a more populated server? The server I'm on has plenty of people. Though, most are in Tier 4.

Also, they're allowing character transfers for free coming up here soon, so if you are on a low population server, you can just move to a high population one, and keep your character.
broken_escalator wrote:The Mako is powered by the rage of the physics it denies.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:04 pm UTC

I'm fairly satisfied with ostermark. Its a medium/high population RP server (not much RP, just filters out the "l33t d3wds").

At about 30ish, you notice the grind. But doing PQs can help alleviate that.

Garm

Postby Garm » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:38 pm UTC

I find Book of Knowledge unlocks really alleviate the grind. I try to do them while I quest or wait for a scenario to pop. You can get some funny stuff if you run around enough. Right now my title is Lizard Slayer.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

Daelar

Postby Daelar » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:36 am UTC

Jesse wrote:OKay guys, we're starting the xkcd guild up on Karak Eight Peaks, but until a few more of our friends get around to joining in at christmas, it'd be nice if some of you guys playing on different servers could maybe hit up an alt on K8P to join in with us.

As in EU? Nowai! Though I judge from previous postage you're Order :( But if you ever reappear and see a zealot called Xalet from <Core> running around send a wave :D

I'm liking the game alot, me and a sorcerer friend running around tier 4 RVR areas alot, not doing amazingly well but having some fantastic moments (many many thousands of experience in a 2 man defense thanks to oil, for example). Sincerely hoping it lasts, even if tier 4 leveling seems really awful.

Phen

Postby Phen » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:49 pm UTC

So how're things for xkcd in war...? I'm considering renewing my subscription now my exam is over.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

diotimajsh

Postby diotimajsh » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:20 pm UTC

Well, personally I lost interest completely. But then this is the same thing that happened to me when I started up WoW, and after about the same length of time, too. I just may not be meant for MMORPGs.

Blog type thing

Daelar

Postby Daelar » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:14 pm UTC

I found myself back in WoW, WAR just became too repetitive for me (is fully aware of the fact you could say the same for WoW)

Garm

Postby Garm » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:46 pm UTC

I had to upgrade my graphics card. Kept overheating. Now the upgraded card is making my cpu over heat. My guild fell apart (sad face) which sucks so I need to find another one. I like the game. I think that in many ways it's better than WoW. I think Warcraft has better pve content on the whole but WAR kicks ass at pvp and has a lot of little touches that WoW is lacking.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

Phen

Postby Phen » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:12 pm UTC

I've got a friend who's into it, so I'm guaranteed a guild if I decide to pick it up again. It doesn't sound like the xkcd guild has survived, though...?

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Eloth

Postby Eloth » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:13 am UTC

WAR is awesome, but I have recently (as of a week or so ago) had this problem where when I try to launch the game, the patcher hangs and I get the error message

The patch client was unable to retrieve the file [patcher.prod.sig] from the patch server. Please try the patch operation again in a short while.

I am pretty sure that this is some sort of DNS issue but I honestly have no idea how to fix it. So until that happens, no WAR for me :( , which really sucks because I had just rolled a blackguard.

If anyone knows how I could fix this, help would be greatly appreciated.

Scoopster

Postby Scoopster » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:50 pm UTC

*bump* :D

Just wanted to drop in and say I've been playing this one on & off since just before the official launch.. I'm a 40 Magus on NA Ironfist Server and working on a Shaman.

I like it a lot as a break from Final Fantasy Online, which I've been playing regular for about five years. Only real thing that gets to me is the constant RvR push. Maybe it's because I've been playing FFXI for so long, but I tend to prefer team-based instance events that aren't RvR. WAR has its share of those though.

BTW I played WoW for about 10 minutes before I got sick of it. Ugh the gfx and ui are horrible!

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:03 pm UTC

The constant RvR stuff seems like a real sisyphus challenge. Nomatter what you do, the other side pushes you back. There is no "dynamic" to the battles, because they're all back and forth over one battleground, with nothing having been accomplished at the end of the day. Only the most unbalanced population servers even get to start city sieges (and the sieges fail anyway).

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Warhammer Online

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:06 pm UTC

Looking for a game that doesn't require the time investment of Eve so I can hop on and go bambambam, PVP! But also get better over time, so nothing like L4D.

Anyone play WAR and have any sentiments or suggestions about it?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Phen

Postby Phen » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:34 pm UTC

I expect this to be merged with the existing thread... I liked it, but the server I had went to, to play with one of my RL-friends, was nearly empty, so I spent too much time running around alone and got bored. I got a character transfer just before my subsciption was up and I didn't renew it because of approaching exams.
So, I recommend it. I'm not sure that I can get into EVE right now even though my trial is ongoing, so I might jump back at some point.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:58 am UTC

Are client crashes a common issue? I've had two in the last 20 minutes.

Archmage, may switch to bright wizard. Thinking I want to do buff/debuff, and Archmage seems good for that, but don't necessarily like the required alternation. Too soon to see.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Phen

Postby Phen » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:56 am UTC

I don't recall having it crash on me.

Also, I have no idea how the endgame is playing out as I never got further than tier 2 with any character.

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:04 pm UTC

I'm a Witch Hunter named Marbas on Ironfist.

I'm also Ronove the Magus on Azazael and Goopgoop the Zealot on Azazael.

I need to renew my subscription though.
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:32 am UTC

So my initial impressions of getting an Archmage, Bright Mage, and Marauder (creeeepy!) to 10th, is that ultimately the classes have a lot more in common then I previously thought. Brightmages combustion is a Sorceresses backlash for example. I want to play with more of the classes, but I'm actually finding the game pretty entertaining.

My biggest complaint is the people I've encountered so far, i haven't seen a single fully typed word and everyone seems content to just solo pve. Granted, i'm in the newbie areas, so I'm sure most players are either new like me and taking a break from WoW, or grinding a new toon up.

What server are the xkcd'ers primarily on?

Phen

Postby Phen » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:50 am UTC

Sorceress and bright mage shares the same mechanic. Should be pretty much identical, I think.

If I start up again, which I'm tempted to do, I think the server I got moved to is Karak Azgal, but I'll have to check. I'm in Europe, so you may not find it...

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:28 pm UTC

I've never really played a game like this very far, so, anyone have any advice on fast leveling? Is questing the best way? Is getting a group together for some raids the best? Should I keep doing those small RvR instas (the ones you cue up for, forget what they're called?)

Kag

Postby Kag » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:11 pm UTC

In my experience, quests are by far the fastest way, but I haven't done any real farming.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:18 pm UTC

And I don't mean to keep droning on this thread, but it seems that masteries and selection of tactics are where character customization comes into play, is this correct? How can I make my lvl 35 Archmage different from any other lvl 35 archmage?

Return to “Gaming”