Games you can't remember the title of.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

nmp303

Re: Games you can't remember the title of.

Postby nmp303 » Fri May 13, 2011 4:37 pm UTC

No, it wasn't Tetris Elements. Thanks for the reply though, and thanks for the list. I'll have a look and post again if I find anything.

EDIT: Looked through the list and found nothing :-(

a_fuzzyduck

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Fri May 13, 2011 11:34 pm UTC

Klax?
wkw
"GRAPHICS WERE NOT AS GOOD IN THE PAST BUT WE WERE HAPPIER AND MORE INNOCENT THEN" - every retro gaming review, ever

Bufo_periglenes

Postby Bufo_periglenes » Sat May 14, 2011 4:07 am UTC

I tried googling a list of similar-sounding games to see what turned up (tetris cabeem bejeweled). Gem Drop (or GemDrops) sounds similar, and I found someone on Metafilter who might be looking for the very same game:

http://ask.metafilter.com/78818/Bejeweled-But-Not

Hope that helps!
Pure mathematics is, in its way, the poetry of logical ideas. —Albert Einstein

DanielJackins

Postby DanielJackins » Sat May 14, 2011 7:51 am UTC

* Background: Where did you play it? When? Why do you remember it? What sticks out at you about it?

Probably about 10-15 years ago. One of the more fun games I played as a kid, but I never got far in it.

* System: Which system did you play it on? Jaguar? 32x? Windows XP? Window 3.1? Apple IIe? Megadrive? Genesis? Game Boy?

Super Nintendo.

* Year: When did you play it? You don't need to be specific, but the closer you can get, the better. While it'd be great if you could say that you know it came out in 1995, simply saying Mid 90s will work (If you remember). When in doubt, choose a wider scope (Say, Early to Mid-90s for a game that you think was new in '94)

Mid-late 90s

* Perspective: 3D? 2D? 2.5D? Isometric? Tile-based? First Person? Third Person? ... Second Person!?

I believe (not 100% sure) it was a top down view for the first level at least, might change throughout the game. But I'm leaning towards top down view.

* Art style: Cell shaded? Sprite-based? Foggy? Live Action? Particular special effects you remember? Any movie sequences you remember?

Nothing jumps out

* Environment: What sort of places were you in? Times? What specific types of monsters did you fight? Bosses? Who was the protagonist? Any NPCs you remember? Dialog? Weapons? Remember dying a lot? What killed you?

I vaguely remember two levels (which are the first 2, I believe). I'm pretty sure you started in a house, and that the second level you're running along a subway station. There's doors you have to duck in to as the train comes by as you walk along. You get guns, and I'm pretty sure the bad guys were humans.

* Genre: Multiplayer? Shooter? Action? Adventure? RPG? Arcade? Puzzle-based? Strategy? RTS? Text adventure?

Action

* Gameplay: Action? Turn-based? Did you have stats/levels? Remember any puzzles? What buttons did you press to control the protagonist? Was there a party of characters or a solo protagonist? Were you able to create a character and choose skills at the beginning, or were your skills pre-chosen (if any)? In short, How Did You Play The Game? What actions did you take?

Action, I don't think you gained experience or levels, however I think you got new, better guns. No party I think, solo protagonist.

Would love if someone knows what game this is, feeling nostalgic.

Thanks!

nmp303

Postby nmp303 » Sat May 14, 2011 7:58 am UTC

Thanks for the replies, but it was neither Klax nor GemDrops.

Bufo_periglenes wrote:...I found someone on Metafilter who might be looking for the very same game

Your wording put a smile on my face, because when I read the Metafilter post, I immediately thought of SameGame, the first of the type of game described there that I've played. Unfortunately, the link does not help me find the game I'm looking for.

Again, thanks for all the help.

New User

Postby New User » Sun May 15, 2011 5:20 am UTC

DanielJackins wrote:* System: Which system did you play it on? Jaguar? 32x? Windows XP? Window 3.1? Apple IIe? Megadrive? Genesis? Game Boy?

Super Nintendo.

* Environment: What sort of places were you in? Times? What specific types of monsters did you fight? Bosses? Who was the protagonist? Any NPCs you remember? Dialog? Weapons? Remember dying a lot? What killed you?

I vaguely remember two levels (which are the first 2, I believe). I'm pretty sure you started in a house, and that the second level you're running along a subway station. There's doors you have to duck in to as the train comes by as you walk along. You get guns, and I'm pretty sure the bad guys were humans.

* Genre: Multiplayer? Shooter? Action? Adventure? RPG? Arcade? Puzzle-based? Strategy? RTS? Text adventure?

Action

* Gameplay: Action? Turn-based? Did you have stats/levels? Remember any puzzles? What buttons did you press to control the protagonist? Was there a party of characters or a solo protagonist? Were you able to create a character and choose skills at the beginning, or were your skills pre-chosen (if any)? In short, How Did You Play The Game? What actions did you take?

Action, I don't think you gained experience or levels, however I think you got new, better guns. No party I think, solo protagonist.

Would love if someone knows what game this is, feeling nostalgic.

Thanks!

I'd like to help you out here, I know a lot about Super Nintendo games. Did you just run around and shoot everything in sight like in Contra 3: The Alien Wars or was it more beat-em-up style like the Final Fight or Streets of Rage games? Do you remember anything else about the game? Was there an end-of-stage boss you remember? Any kind of powerups you'd get? What was the solo protagonist like, a typical video game muscle-bound white male without a shirt? Any cut scenes in between stages like Ninja Gaiden? Any mutant turtles, perhaps ones in teen years and with martial arts training of some kind?

DanielJackins

Postby DanielJackins » Sun May 15, 2011 8:00 am UTC

New User wrote:I'd like to help you out here, I know a lot about Super Nintendo games. Did you just run around and shoot everything in sight like in Contra 3: The Alien Wars or was it more beat-em-up style like the Final Fight or Streets of Rage games? Do you remember anything else about the game? Was there an end-of-stage boss you remember? Any kind of powerups you'd get? What was the solo protagonist like, a typical video game muscle-bound white male without a shirt? Any cut scenes in between stages like Ninja Gaiden? Any mutant turtles, perhaps ones in teen years and with martial arts training of some kind?

You run around like in contra (but a birds eye view). It's really vague, the thing that I remember the most clearly is the subway level which is (I'm pretty sure) fairly early on in the game. I don't remember there being any bosses, nor powerups (though maybe health/ammo pickups, not sure). I'm pretty certain the protagonist was male, probably pretty manly. No cut scenes I recall. Maybe (if the list is relatively short) I can just go through all the birds eye view run around shoot'em ups?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun May 15, 2011 3:15 pm UTC

The Chaos Engine (aka Soldiers of Fortune) ?

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Thu May 19, 2011 12:18 pm UTC

* Background: Round a friend's house, about 7 years ago, because it was fun.
* System: On the Sega Megadrive
Year: 2000-2005ish
* Perspective: Side-scroller
* Art style: Bad graphics, high fantasy setting in towns
* Environment: Towns, like... japanese style? I don't know... pretty sure that the enemies were humans.
* Mood: Fantasy.
* Genre: Street fighter style
* Gameplay: You got powerups, and if you got enough you could use powers. I remember there was one that was used be a red-haired woman that was a dragon which cleared the room.

That's all I got. Thanks :)
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Cecilff2

Postby Cecilff2 » Thu May 19, 2011 2:01 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:* Background: Round a friend's house, about 7 years ago, because it was fun.
* Environment: Towns, like... japanese style? I don't know... pretty sure that the enemies were humans.
* Gameplay: You got powerups, and if you got enough you could use powers. I remember there was one that was used be a red-haired woman that was a dragon which cleared the room.

Golden Axe. Great game.

Postby AvatarIII » Thu May 19, 2011 2:15 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:* Background: Round a friend's house, about 7 years ago, because it was fun.
Year: 2000-2005ish* Perspective: Side-scroller

i guess that's when you played it, not when you think it came out?? :D

Bufo_periglenes

Postby Bufo_periglenes » Thu May 19, 2011 5:37 pm UTC

nmp303 wrote:Thanks for the replies, but it was neither Klax nor GemDrops.

Bufo_periglenes wrote:...I found someone on Metafilter who might be looking for the very same game

Your wording put a smile on my face, because when I read the Metafilter post, I immediately thought of SameGame, the first of the type of game described there that I've played. Unfortunately, the link does not help me find the game I'm looking for.

:)
I tried a couple more Google searches (Vive la mort, vive la guerre, vive la atermoiements sur internet). This might have it: http://www.dosgames.com/g_tet.php (A list of tetris-style DOS games.) Now, back to work...

Edit:
This looks eerily like the description: http://www.squakenet.com/computer_games ... nload.html
It's called Gemstorm, and there's a video of someone playing it. NOW, back to work.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri May 20, 2011 5:52 pm UTC

Cecilff2 wrote:

Golden Axe. Great game.

Thanks, that's exactly what I remember :D

Now I think about it, I heard someone say there was a remake of a game called Golden Axe on the internet - had no idea it was this!
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

nmp303

Postby nmp303 » Fri May 20, 2011 6:04 pm UTC

Bufo_periglenes wrote:
nmp303 wrote:Thanks for the replies, but it was neither Klax nor GemDrops.

:)
I tried a couple more Google searches (Vive la mort, vive la guerre, vive la atermoiements sur internet). This might have it: http://www.dosgames.com/g_tet.php (A list of tetris-style DOS games.) Now, back to work...

Edit:
This looks eerily like the description: http://www.squakenet.com/computer_games/5720/Gemstorm/download.html
It's called Gemstorm, and there's a video of someone playing it. NOW, back to work.

Ahh, Gemstorm! The moment I read the name I remembered. Thank you so much for the help. I really appreciate the extra mile you walked with those Google searches.

Bufo_periglenes

Postby Bufo_periglenes » Mon May 23, 2011 12:00 pm UTC

nmp303 wrote:Ahh, Gemstorm! The moment I read the name I remembered. Thank you so much for the help. I really appreciate the extra mile you walked with those Google searches.

You should appreciate it. I had to type them uphill, through a blizzard, both ways. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.) It was no trouble. I had a lot of very important work I was anxious to avoid. Perhaps I should thank you. :wink:

andrewxc

Postby andrewxc » Tue May 24, 2011 8:24 pm UTC

Tough one for you guys, because it was a Beta when I played it...

* Background:
It was a free beta client, probably advertized by FilePlanet.

* System:
PC - WinXP.

* Year:
About 2004/2005, I tried the Beta.

* Perspective:
Either 1st or 3rd person. I think you could go either way.

* Art style:
Japanese-esque. I think it took place in Asia.

* Environment:
It was set in a near-future, probably dystopian, with high-rise buildings all around. You started in a single-room flat in one of the apartment levels, which are hundreds or thousands of feet above the street. I first exited the elevator to discover I was still not at ground level, and there was an entire city built in or between buildings (here, I could be imagining this, and it could have just been a barrier like a tall, wooden fence to keep players contained). Neon signs and poorly-lit alleys were all around.
It looked a bit like Deus Ex (the first one), only not as polished.

* Mood:
Dark and confined, except for the courtyard that had a couple of gank-gangs (in a Beta? Seriously, guys?), so I didn't really get a good look around. The idea was that you belonged to one of the gangs that will do some good in the city, but they hadn't ironed out the whole "retribution/bounty" thing, so people were just murdering new people, which is, I think, why it disappeared... No one wanted to play it.

* Genre:
MMOFPS (or TPS)

* Gameplay:
Action... You belonged to one of three groups: The Police, the Army, or a third that I can't remember (probably renegades of some kind). Your mission was to complete tasks and get cash so you could get a nicer set of weapons, a nicer place to live, clothes, ornamentation, etc. They had just gotten the weapons and the reporting system, so you could take a ticket to a machine and report your previous murder, and a bounty would be added to that person's head. When I got up to the machine to activate it, someone shot me in the back of the head and I raegquaat.
When I looked up old MMOs, the name "Divergence" triggered a reaction of "ooh, that might be close". The name is something fairly short, I think.
"We never do anything well unless we love doing it for its own sake."
Avatar: I made a "plastic carrier" for Towel Day à la So Long and Thanks for All the Fish.

andrewxc

Postby andrewxc » Tue May 24, 2011 8:39 pm UTC

Goddammit, I think I just found it...
http://www.fomportal.com

So "Face of Mankind" isn't really all that short, but I was seeing "FoM" in my head...
"We never do anything well unless we love doing it for its own sake."
Avatar: I made a "plastic carrier" for Towel Day à la So Long and Thanks for All the Fish.

Shayne Hawke

Postby Shayne Hawke » Fri May 27, 2011 5:39 pm UTC

This is a tough one.

* Background: Where did you play it? When? What system was it on? Why do you remember it? What sticks out at you about it?

This was a PC game I used to play when I was a kid. As far as I remember it was a DOS game, but as I said I was a kid so it could have been windows. It was an RPG almost in the style of Baldurs gate (As in top down view and you control a party). You control three male Characters, I am not sure if you could get more as I never got far enough.

* Year: When did you play it? You don't need to be specific, but the closer you can get, the better. While it'd be great if you could say that you know it came out in 1995, simply saying Mid 90s will work (If you remember). When in doubt, choose a wider scope (Say, Early to Mid-90s for a game that you think was new in '94)

As I said above I was a kid, I am guessing I was playing it at around 1995. I'll be general and say mid 90's though.

* Perspective: 3D? 2D? 2.5D? Isometric? Tile-based? First Person? Third Person?

It was top view around the time 2D was trying to break out into 3D (So 2.5D?). Think Kings Quest 2 graphics on Baldurs gate 1.

* Art style: Cell shaded? Sprite-based? Foggy? Particular special effects you remember? Any movie sequences you remember?

Again think Kings Quest 2 graphics on Baldurs gate 1. I literally cannot remember any in game effects or movie sequences, This is much more difficult to recall. I do believe there was spell casting though.

From what I can remember you where in a Grassy area. Medieval times-ish (More Forgotten Realms style). I know You could fight Skeletons and Orcs (Which dropped fine steel swords you could equip). I also remember there was either a castle or tower with a wizard in it you had to fight and would always kill me. You controlled 3 main characters - One man had black hair and a red outfit, another had blonde hair and a yellow outfit, and the last had red hair and a blue outfit. I could definitely be mistaken about the hair color though. I also remember if one of the 3 died he stayed dead, at least I could never find a way to revive them.

* Mood: Dark? Cheerful and bright (like Mario)? Horror? Board-game strategic? Hack and slash? Adventure?

I was actually very Bright and cheerful - It definitely played like an RPG (Potions, Armor, Swords). I am not sure if there was an XP system in place though.

Single Player RPG.

* Gameplay: Action? Turn-based? Did you have stats/levels? Remember any puzzles? What buttons did you press to control the protagonist? Was there a party of characters or a solo protagonist? Were you able to create a character and choose skills at the beginning, or were your skills pre-chosen (if any)?

I cannot recall completely but I think it played in real time with a pause button. I was young so if there were puzzles they may have gone way over my head. It was click to move, not sure if you could move the three separately or if they would all follow the main char. I was not able to create my Char or choose abilities if I remember correctly. I am pretty sure it was all pre-chosen.

I have been trying to find this game for years now, People keep telling me it was an old D&D PC game but I have looked extensively and just can't seem to find it. I am starting to doubt it was D&D.

If you need any more specifics I'll try to recall them.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri May 27, 2011 6:01 pm UTC

If you controlled the characters one at a time, FaeryTale Adventure (or Faery Tale Adventure 2 if you controlled all three) maybe?

FaeryTaleAmigaScreenshot.png
Faery Tale Adventure 1

fta2_010.png
Faery Tale Adventure 2
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Shayne Hawke

Postby Shayne Hawke » Fri May 27, 2011 6:05 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:If you controlled the characters one at a time, FaeryTale Adventure (or Faery Tale Adventure 2 if you controlled all three) maybe?

FaeryTaleAmigaScreenshot.png

fta2_010.png

Simply Amazing, Faery Tale Adventure 2 is exactly what I was looking for!

matt198992

Postby matt198992 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:29 pm UTC

Ok, im going to give this a go. I don't remember much, but will post whatever snippets come into my mind.

* Background: Where did you play it? When? Why do you remember it? What sticks out at you about it?
-----Long time ago. Maybe around 10 years ago? It was a Point-and-Click adventure game. It had to do with aliens, was cartoony and funny. Multiple disc game. If I remember correctly the opening scene had the aliens (there were 4 or 5 of them total, that you play as) crashing and landing somehow in a bathroom of a large house (?). Getting out/moving on had something to do with the toilet paper somehow? Sorry for the very faint memories.

* System: Which system did you play it on? Jaguar? 32x? Windows XP? Window 3.1? Apple IIe? Megadrive? Genesis? Game Boy?
-----PC definitely.

* Year: When did you play it?* You don't need to be specific, but the closer you can get, the better. While it'd be great if you could say that you know it came out in 1995, simply saying Mid 90s will work (If you remember). When in doubt, choose a wider scope (Say, Early to Mid-90s for a game that you think was new in '94) - *This is supposed to reflect when you think the game came out. If it was a NES game (Mid 80s to Early 90s life cycle) that you played in your college days (2005-2010).. then say "Somewhere in the NES life cycle" or something like that. Saying 2005-2010 is.. useless as it doesn't reflect when the game may have come out.
-----I'm thinking mid to late 90's. MAYBE early 2000.

* Perspective: 3D? 2D? 2.5D? Isometric? Tile-based? First Person? Third Person? ... Second Person!?
-----point and click adventure game. 3rd person of course.

* Art style: Cell shaded? Sprite-based? Foggy? Live Action? Particular special effects you remember? Any movie sequences you remember?
-----Don't remember any movie sequences. The graphics were cartoony, and it was an adventure-comedy type of game. It was definately not a kids game. The humor was for more mature audiences (which is, of course, why i played/remember this from my younger days).

-----I am not sure what could kill you (or if you could die at all). No weapons, just the usual inventory stuff I believe. I do remember each chapter or section of the game featured you playing as one of the other aliens. I am pretty sure you could not change between them at will.

* Mood: Was the game Dark or was it Hopeful? Was there an overwhelming sense of crushing despair, or was it a bright and happy candy land?
-----Mature Humor category would be my best guess, besides my aforementioned point-and-click.

-----Typical "find this to do this to do this to do this...etc..." point and click adventure game. Think of Grim Fandango or Monkey Island type of game.

-----No to all of that? You play as the alien(s). The only scene i remember clearly is the opening (I THINK, lol) screen where they crash either into a bathroom, or that's where you start somehow.

My friend thinks it's "Spaced Invaders" (yes, with the D), but all i can find are space invaders remakes and all. Any other questions i will do my best to answer.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:43 pm UTC

matt198992 wrote:Ok, im going to give this a go. [wall of text]

Vaguely reminds me of Day of the Tentacle.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Jar'O'Jam

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:30 am UTC

How about U.F.O.s, Matt ?

[upd] Actually, nevermind, what you're looking for is most likely Stupid Invaders.
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:34 pm UTC

* Background: I remember playing this at a friend's, sometime from 1995 to 2000. It was single player and not particularly interesting to watch, so I don't know what the circumstances around that were. The game was set in the Star Wars universe, but it was no big title. It was just a neat little game to kill a few minutes.
* System: It was a windows game and it ran in a window. I think it may have had a windows-like GUI to one side.
* Perspective: It was essentially top-down on a grid. I think it had an angled view similar to Legend of Zelda.
* Art style: Fairly cartoony, the game was mostly light-hearted in theme and style. Big heads on little bodies.
* Environment: Each new game you started would be designed to last 10-30 minutes, and a new, random world would be generated. These worlds were split into square areas that you travelled to by moving off the edge of its neighbouring area. Within each area there was a mini environment with some sort of puzzle or task, and you'd have to use items picked up in other areas to get through it. I recall that exactly which puzzle areas you received in a game would be determined randomly, and each of those areas would have a random layout.
* Mood: Light-hearted. This was a short puzzle/adventure style game that was made to be replayed many times in short spans.
* Genre: I'm leaning toward Puzzle, but I can't think of any puzzle examples. I think it may have been a case of collecting items to use to solve those puzzles, in a puzzle-adventure style. I don't recall whether there was any combat, though I can picture stormtroopers in the game.
* Gameplay: Steady, go-at-your-own-pace gameplay. In one game I can think of (which may not have been the only available scenario as the games were generated randomly), I think Luke had crash-landed on some planet and you played as him, trying to recover the parts to repair your ship, or perhaps leave on a different ship as I remember one area being a sort of air field / space port.
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:11 pm UTC

Oh, yes, that's Yoda Stories. Avoid the GBC version.

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:31 pm UTC

That's it. Thanks!
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

Mavketl
ELEPHANT MYSTICISM!

Postby Mavketl » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:29 am UTC

I'm trying to find a silly internet game that I remember playing a while back.

The playing field is a roster of dark grey squares, and you start in the middle. You have to place rune-like tiles, and they have to match the adjacent squares by either colour or shape. Getting a full row is good (I think it disappears), the trick is not ending up with a lot of spots that have no possible tile to go there (because it's surrounded by different colours and shapes).

I've tried googling for things like "rune game" and "magic rune game", but to no avail.
Not A Raptor: Mav can be a very wily and dangerous player.
roband: Mav has a way of making everything seem right.
ELEPHANT SCIENCE - MORE ELEPHANT SCIENCE
- NEW: Elephant Math!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:26 am UTC

Mavketl wrote:I'm trying to find a silly internet game that I remember playing a while back.

The playing field is a roster of dark grey squares, and you start in the middle. You have to place rune-like tiles, and they have to match the adjacent squares by either colour or shape. Getting a full row is good (I think it disappears), the trick is not ending up with a lot of spots that have no possible tile to go there (because it's surrounded by different colours and shapes).

I've tried googling for things like "rune game" and "magic rune game", but to no avail.

Best to use the template, even for stupid flash games, but..

Alchemy?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

matt198992

Postby matt198992 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:48 pm UTC

Jar'O'Jam wrote:
[upd] Actually, nevermind, what you're looking for is most likely.

There it is. Lol. Darn I was so close to it too. Thanks!

Mavketl
ELEPHANT MYSTICISM!

Postby Mavketl » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:03 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Best to use the template, even for stupid flash games, but..

Alchemy?
Yessssssss. <3

And I will use the proper template if I ever need to call upon this thread again, promise.
Not A Raptor: Mav can be a very wily and dangerous player.
roband: Mav has a way of making everything seem right.
ELEPHANT SCIENCE - MORE ELEPHANT SCIENCE
- NEW: Elephant Math!

jamiemccolm

Postby jamiemccolm » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:14 am UTC

Think I played it in the early 90's, but my memory is very hazy! Objective was to conquer the world using mech type units

Played it on PC probably pre-windows.

* Year: When did you play it?* You don't need to be specific, but the closer you can get, the better. While it'd be great if you could say that you know it came out in 1995, simply saying Mid 90s will work (If you remember). When in doubt, choose a wider scope (Say, Early to Mid-90s for a game that you think was new in '94) - *This is supposed to reflect when you think the game came out. If it was a NES game (Mid 80s to Early 90s life cycle) that you played in your college days (2005-2010).. then say "Somewhere in the NES life cycle" or something like that. Saying 2005-2010 is.. useless as it doesn't reflect when the game may have come out.

Suspect the game was released early 1990's, not a big name game as I recall

The battles were viewed from above. You controlled one mech at a time, although you could switch from one to another

I recall it as being pretty good at the time! Probably looks rubbish now..... Battles were on grid system I think

Futuristic setting. You picked regions to invade and earnt money from regions you held already. With this you bought mechs which had names like Mars (had a orange laser firing from above head), Mercury (had flamethrower type weapon). I think more had names after planets. Weapons and mechs could overheat. Pretty sure the biggest and best was called a Titan

* Mood: Was the game Dark or was it Hopeful? Was there an overwhelming sense of crushing despair, or was it a bright and happy candy land? #

Dark

Action/strategy

The strategic bit was turn based I think. When you invaded or were invaded, the battles were real time. If you attacked an enemy region/city you had to destroy the main central plot to win

emceng

Postby emceng » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:15 am UTC

Cyberstorm 1 or 2?
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Rbp-7-Ooz

Postby Rbp-7-Ooz » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:12 am UTC

Web/flash game. Space themed. White dots bouncing around a two tone (usually blue and green) screen.
By clicking on the corners of the squares you could make little white right angled corners appear/disappear.
Sometimes the boards had fixed right angle corners in place that you could not move.
The music in this program reminds me of the music in the game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7lnBUSgx-o

The object was to get all the dots into a U shaped goal before time on the level ran out.

every 5 levels you would get 'Spacey' themed passwords that let you continue at that level... like BLAST, LASER, etc.

* Background: What I remember most is the sounds... bouncy music that the dots were percussion for when they bounced off something.

* System: Interweb/flash/shockwave

* Year: I want to say 2005 -2007?

* Perspective: 2D, top down.

* Art style: Almost Art Deco.

* Environment: Just the two-tone boards. and space themed in between sections

* Mood: light. Puzzle-eske

* Genre: Action. point and click.

* Gameplay: just timed level after level... I think there were 250 levels the last several the dots would go off one side of the screen and appear on the polar opposite.
At the end I seem to remember you getting a message that you helped Space Monkey get where he needed to be.

Thank you in advance.

Rhastago

Postby Rhastago » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:10 pm UTC

God, I really need your help guys, this is driving me insane! :D
I just "remembered" A game that had me hooked for the longest time... but I can hardly recall any details.

I tried google-ing whatever I could remember, to no avail.

So I'm giving this a shot, since honestly, I have no where else to turn... :)

* Background: I remember it had almost no background music... it was like an apocalyptic alter universe.. where you need to do something to make things right.. (yeah -- quite informative I know) dunno why but I first thought the game was Syberia.. but I saw gameplay footage, and it's not that, especially since it's a chick and not a bald guy like I recall.

* System: PC

* Year: early 2000's I persume.. played it as a kid.. and I'm 24. I remeber syberia was on the store shelves.. so probs around that time. :)

* Perspective: 3rd person, RIGHT behind the guy's bald head, no, not hitman.

* Art style: I can't quite recall.. the bald guy had a blue shirt thing.

* Environment: I seem to remember it was A bleak-future kinda thing, maybe machines involved.

* Mood: stark.

* Genre: I think it was a quest.

* Gameplay: walk around in 3rd person. finding clues, avoiding baddies who fried you with lasers. you had no (i think) melee capabilities. can't recall if you could use a gun.

Well, that was pretty bad, seems I have really bad memory of it. :D
If it rings a bell to anyone -- please let me know!

I Thank you all kindly.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:03 pm UTC

* Background: A medieval RPG where you can decide on what shape the various farms and areas are zoned in.
* System: PC
* Year: 2000-2005ish?
* Perspective: top down with a 3d terrain system
* Art style: Standard medieval art
* Environment: England-type-settings
* Mood: Serious
* Genre: RTS
* Gameplay: All I remember is zoning out farmland for pigs and grain and such and then using large armies to crush my enemies. Something about clicking and then drawing a box of whatever shape you wanted to make the farms. I know I'm making it sound like a farming simulator, but it really was a medieval RTS.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:06 am UTC

@Rhastago: Omikron?

CogDissident wrote:* Gameplay: All I remember is zoning out farmland for pigs and grain and such and then using large armies to crush my enemies. Something about clicking and then drawing a box of whatever shape you wanted to make the farms. I know I'm making it sound like a farming simulator, but it really was a medieval RTS.
Not Beasts & Bumpkins? Maybe one of the various incarnations of Settlers?

Rhastago

Postby Rhastago » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:59 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:@Rhastago: Omikron?

nope :(

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:00 pm UTC

* Background: Tactical 3rd person shooter, cover-based.
* System: N64
* Year: Christ knows.
* Perspective: 3rd person, over the shouldery type thing
* Art style: Polygons, as realistic as they had back then.
* Environment: American terroristy.
* Mood: Serious
* Genre: Cover-based shooter
* Gameplay: Sure it was called Operation something, was heavily cover based, sneaky gameplay, but pre-MGS. Being spotted was bad, but not game-ending.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:53 pm UTC

Operation: WinBack

Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Dason

Postby Dason » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:44 pm UTC

Hells yeah. I was wondering Winback a while ago and was even considering posting here. Looks like be a lazyazz paid off as somebody else did my dirty work. Wish I still had that game - but my cousin "borrowed" it and I think he eventually sold it... damn him.
double epsilon = -.0000001;

Return to “Gaming”