Games you can't remember the title of.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Games you can't remember the title of.

Postby SecondTalon » Thu May 09, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Fri May 24, 2013 4:28 pm UTC

In the mid-late nineties I had a free demo of some roguelike that I'm having fond memories of. It's basically the only roguelike I ever played and enjoyed. This is what I remember about it:

Spoiler:
-Top-down tile-based, looked very much like it was made with RPG Maker.

-You start out under the world basically in a cave, so massive that it's not so different from above earth. I think the story is that you were born there and you want to escape. Possibly its something like a jail that your ancestors were thrown in.

-I don't think there was ever much direction given, or if there was I ignored it. I just remember a sense of "go out and explore and if you could escape that would be swell".

-There was a world map and then a smaller scale map for each location on the world map. The sprites and textures all looked the same no matter what scale you were at, but when you were in the world map it would only show your main character and when you were at the small scale it would show all of your characters and you could control any of them. Most of the gameplay was wandering the world map.

-There were lots of buildings and ruins to explore and loot.

-You had a party, you could recruit characters, the characters never temporarily died in combat (if they died, they were gone forever), and you lost when you no longer had a party (or possibly you lost when your main char died, but IIRC you would just keep playing as one of the other chars). Maybe.

-The movement and combat was all turn based. The enemies and NPCs you saw in the world map would typically always move one space when you did.

-When you ran into an enemy in the world map it took you to combat mode where you would control all the members of your party, and usually there were multiple enemies. You'd move each of your characters one space, and then the enemies would all move one space. When one of your characters occupied the same space as the enemy that combat instance would automatically resolve itself by dealing damage to both the character and the enemy, I think.

-I think the demo ended at a waterfall?? Could totally be misremembering.

-There were spider enemies and skeleton enemies.

-It was really really really hard. I don't know if that's because it was a hard game or because I wasn't an experienced RPGer when I was 12. I just remember being sooo proud when I "beat" it (by getting to the screen where it told you to buy the complete game).

I didn't realize I remembered that much, actually, but the more I typed the more it came back to me. :)
-Adam

faranim

Postby faranim » Fri May 24, 2013 4:48 pm UTC

orimarc wrote:* Background: I played this when I was a little kid, I just can't remember the name of it. CURSES!
* System: MS-DOS, maybe Windows 3.1
* Year: Early/Mid '90s
* Perspective: Top-down, tile based
* Art style: -
* Environment: I remember the first level being like a castle dungeon or basement, with brown brick wall and maybe torches.
* Mood: Cartoonish
* Genre: Puzzle-based
* Gameplay: You have to move a round thing (could be a smiley face) around levels filled with traps like bows that shoot arrows and clouds that drop lighting (or acid rain, not sure), potions that give temporary invencibility and scrolls that show hints. The movement is not ball-based, but rather like Chip's Challenge.

Games that have been already suggested (but aren't the one I'm looking for) include:

- Kroz
- ZZT
- Megazeux
- Wilf II
- Puffy's saga
- Rock 'n' Roll
- Supaplex

I know this is kind of old, but was it one of the Adventures of Lolo games? I don't remember scrolls with hints, but the rest of it sort of matches.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat May 25, 2013 3:43 am UTC

faranim wrote:I know this is kind of old, but was it one of the Adventures of Lolo games? I don't remember scrolls with hints, but the rest of it sort of matches.
The Adventure of Lolo was not available on the PC at the time. (As has been established, many other similar things were. But not Lolo.)

Copme to think of it, it sounds a little like Venture, but that was not a PC game either.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat May 25, 2013 3:55 am UTC

I'm going to toss out another one:

* System: Windows 9x or XP
* Year: 2002
* Perspective: Isometric
* Art style: Abstract 3D

The game looked a little like 3D Marble Flip, as mentioned back on Page 30: a 3D isometric view of a rendered green board with things moving over it, including some thing with a propeller on top that looked sort of like a Peehat from Zelda.

All I can really remember is that the game's Windows icon looked like a top-down view of the thing with a propeller on top.

I looked through the other "3D" games published by Cosmi on Mobygames and saw nothing that seemed to match.

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Sat May 25, 2013 9:41 am UTC

Adam H wrote:In the mid-late nineties I had a free demo of some roguelike that I'm having fond memories of. It's basically the only roguelike I ever played and enjoyed. This is what I remember about it:

Spoiler:

-You start out under the world basically in a cave, so massive that it's not so different from above earth. I think the story is that you were born there and you want to escape. Possibly its something like a jail that your ancestors were thrown in.

-I don't think there was ever much direction given, or if there was I ignored it. I just remember a sense of "go out and explore and if you could escape that would be swell".

-There was a world map and then a smaller scale map for each location on the world map. The sprites and textures all looked the same no matter what scale you were at, but when you were in the world map it would only show your main character and when you were at the small scale it would show all of your characters and you could control any of them. Most of the gameplay was wandering the world map.

-You had a party, you could recruit characters, the characters never temporarily died in combat (if they died, they were gone forever), and you lost when you no longer had a party (or possibly you lost when your main char died, but IIRC you would just keep playing as one of the other chars). Maybe.

-The movement and combat was all turn based. The enemies and NPCs you saw in the world map would typically always move one space when you did.

-When you ran into an enemy in the world map it took you to combat mode where you would control all the members of your party, and usually there were multiple enemies. You'd move each of your characters one space, and then the enemies would all move one space. When one of your characters occupied the same space as the enemy that combat instance would automatically resolve itself by dealing damage to both the character and the enemy, I think.

-It was really really really hard. I don't know if that's because it was a hard game or because I wasn't an experienced RPGer when I was 12. I just remember being sooo proud when I "beat" it (by getting to the screen where it told you to buy the complete game).

I didn't realize I remembered that much, actually, but the more I typed the more it came back to me. :)

Sounds like Exile: Escape from the pit , made by Spiderweb Software: http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/productsOld.html Or one of it's sequels.

Bunch of images:
Spoiler:
Exile II:
These images from Exile III I think:

There's a bit of a let's play here, with a bunch of images too:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.ph ... ire.52455/

You should be able to download them for free from Spiderweb's site: http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/productsOld.html Although you might have to work a bit to get them running on a modern computer: (Run them on a 32-bit operating system, like XP, or If you're using Windows 7 or later grab Windows Virtual PC here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... -windows-7 , or if you're using Vista, Virtual PC 2007: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... px?id=4580 . Or you could try running Windows 3.1 under DOSBox if you wanted: http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=9405 but the virtual pc methods are probably easier, and should work.)

There's also a remake of those games that Spiderweb made, with the name Avernum: http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/products.html

vinipsmaker

Postby vinipsmaker » Tue May 28, 2013 3:47 pm UTC

There was a game that I used to play when I was a child. The things I remember:

• Platform: SNES
  • Genre: Platformer
  • Perspective: Side-view
  • Protagonist: It was a green humanoid character with a trident
  • Theme: I'd say fantasy
  • Origin: I remember some weird ideograms. It may be chinese, japonese or another asian country.

I've already tried to search on sites that group games. If you've played some game that matches these criteria, tell its name please.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Tue May 28, 2013 10:05 pm UTC

Soralin wrote:
Adam H wrote:In the mid-late nineties I had a free demo of some roguelike that I'm having fond memories of. It's basically the only roguelike I ever played and enjoyed. This is what I remember about it:

Spoiler:

Sounds like Exile: Escape from the pit , made by Spiderweb Software: http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/productsOld.html Or one of it's sequels.
Yay, you win! Thanks a lot! I can't wait to see if it's as hard as I thought it was. :)
-Adam

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:19 am UTC

Something made me think of this cyberpunk-ish sourcemod I remember hearing about a while back. the story had something to do with a girl/woman with pyrokinetic abilities, possibly the main character? I'm just wondering if that rings a bell for anybody.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:02 am UTC

Hmm, have been trying to find a decent spacefaring-trading-game-kind-of-a-thing, and remembering one I used to play way back when, but Google is being no help.

* Background: Used to play while growing up, probably late '90s/early '00s; so, nostalgia kicking in pretty good. I mostly remember it for the races/factions having their own musical themes, some of them being very familiar drum cadences or patriotic-ish songs; the other specific thing I remember is that one of the races had a ship that looked sort of like a bubbly gel pickle. I am not sure if it was actually named the Globulator, or if I always just named it that myself.
* System: PC of some type, probably either win-95 or MS-DOS. May have been shareware/come on floppies, but again, uncertain.
* Year: Late '90s/early '00s, probably. Possibly as early as early/mid-'90s - I think I was playing it several years before Halo came out.
* Perspective: 2D third-person, I believe - you would make trades and watch a little animation of your ship zipping around in space, but wouldn't directly fly it.
* Art style: Cartoonish in general - some of the races looked like somewhat whimsical paint-by-numbers drawings, I believe.
* Environment: Lots of zipping around in space - I'm not sure if interplanetary or interstellar. Again, the "whoosh" of the animation with the ship zipping through space - which I believe was just the ship sprite/image being essentially copy-pasted over the static background - is one of my main memories.
* Mood: Fairly light-hearted and comical, I believe.
* Genre: Trading game, with ships to carry goods between planets and price differentials between them.
* Gameplay: I remember very little of this, besides that the races/ships had different stats in some way (cargo bay, top speed, etc.), I believe random events could happen between planets as you were hauling cargo, and I believe you could interact with the other (AI-controlled) traders in some way - I'm not sure if there was direct interaction, or just updates on their progress in making money relative to yours, but I do know that occasionally a window would pop up with their portrait and theme song giving some info about them or maybe having them taunt you.

Also, if anyone knows of other games that might play out similarly to this, let me know. :P Basically, "like Freelancer, without the combat and more turn-based-ish/less fully-attention-demanding when things are going on".
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:30 pm UTC

Not really a game, but easy enough to describe:

Some of the computers in a lab I used to work in came equipped with a particular screen saver collection. One of the screen savers featured flying waffle irons (in the style of the After Dark flying toasters). Occasionally a little missile (labelled "Patriot") would fly out and explode one of the waffle irons.

These were DOS computers, and the screen saver collection in question must have come out in the early-to-mid 90's.

Any idea what screen saver collection this was?

Eowiel

Postby Eowiel » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:54 am UTC

DaBigCheez wrote:Hmm, have been trying to find a decent spacefaring-trading-game-kind-of-a-thing, and remembering one I used to play way back when, but Google is being no help.

* Background: Used to play while growing up, probably late '90s/early '00s; so, nostalgia kicking in pretty good. I mostly remember it for the races/factions having their own musical themes, some of them being very familiar drum cadences or patriotic-ish songs; the other specific thing I remember is that one of the races had a ship that looked sort of like a bubbly gel pickle. I am not sure if it was actually named the Globulator, or if I always just named it that myself.
* System: PC of some type, probably either win-95 or MS-DOS. May have been shareware/come on floppies, but again, uncertain.
* Year: Late '90s/early '00s, probably. Possibly as early as early/mid-'90s - I think I was playing it several years before Halo came out.
* Perspective: 2D third-person, I believe - you would make trades and watch a little animation of your ship zipping around in space, but wouldn't directly fly it.
* Art style: Cartoonish in general - some of the races looked like somewhat whimsical paint-by-numbers drawings, I believe.
* Environment: Lots of zipping around in space - I'm not sure if interplanetary or interstellar. Again, the "whoosh" of the animation with the ship zipping through space - which I believe was just the ship sprite/image being essentially copy-pasted over the static background - is one of my main memories.
* Mood: Fairly light-hearted and comical, I believe.
* Genre: Trading game, with ships to carry goods between planets and price differentials between them.
* Gameplay: I remember very little of this, besides that the races/ships had different stats in some way (cargo bay, top speed, etc.), I believe random events could happen between planets as you were hauling cargo, and I believe you could interact with the other (AI-controlled) traders in some way - I'm not sure if there was direct interaction, or just updates on their progress in making money relative to yours, but I do know that occasionally a window would pop up with their portrait and theme song giving some info about them or maybe having them taunt you.

Also, if anyone knows of other games that might play out similarly to this, let me know. :P Basically, "like Freelancer, without the combat and more turn-based-ish/less fully-attention-demanding when things are going on".

Maybe Gazzilionaire by Lavaminds?

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:35 pm UTC

Eowiel wrote:Maybe Gazzilionaire by Lavaminds?

Aha, based on the appearance of some of the races that's the one! Thanks ^_^
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:36 am UTC

All right, this might be an easy one. All this time I thought it was Police Quest III, but I never bothered to look into it until now.

This is a point-and-click adventure game I saw being played on a DOS PC around 1995 or so. Its most distinctive feature in my mind is that you start off the game in your underwear, and one of the first things you have to do (I think it's first-person perspective) is find your clothes and put them on. The graphics are fairly realistic, and the action is accompanied by a little animation of the player character tucking in his shirt.

Details in are otherwise fuzzy. All I remember is some dialog about someone (the mayor?) being very upset that his daughter was among other people found brutally killed in a recent crime wave, and that the first thing you should do is go to the park (?) and look for a man called "The Joke".

Any thoughts?

sam1234

Postby sam1234 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

Does anyone recognise this game if so then please tell me because it's bugging me so much,
It's a pc game that I used to play when I was around 4-7 in around 2002-2005ish,
It's based in a cartoony 3d world where you play mini games,
I remember there being a one legged humanoid kind of dog and a blonde boy who's house you can go round and make faces with food maybe and do lots of stuff around the games world,
Also a farm where you can make scarecrow heads out of vegetables? And a medieval place where you could play rock paper scissors with magic fire, water and rock.
I know this game sounds weird but I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me, thanks

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:42 pm UTC

hendusoone wrote:* Background: PC game. A friend of mine got it with his mid-90s Win95 Gateway computer. It was a CD-ROM game, and came in a little CD flipbook with a few other programs and games.
* Year: Mid-90s.
* Perspective: Third person, generally fixed camera I think. Had some first-person elements.
* Art style: 3D, about as realistic as they could make it mid-90s
* Environment: Science fiction
* Mood: Blow stuff up, stay alive
* Genre: Action/Adventure/Some Puzzle
* Gameplay: I really don't remember terribly much about this game, other that in the first level, you're captured at some base at sea. You escape, and steal this high-tech jet, but before you can fly it you have to disable the bomb strapped to the bottom by toggling a few switches. Failure to disable the bomb resulted in a cinematic of the entire sea-base exploding. Success resulted in a cinematic of you flying away from the sea-base in the jet. Another level I think you're flying this jet along a highway, through a tunnel, but I'm not too sure on this - I may be blending it with another game.
So, to follow up on this post from 5 years ago...

Today, I finally found the title of this game! It's Cyberia. http://www.mobygames.com/game/cyberia

Here's video from a Let's Play - the part with the exploding jet.

Fucking finally.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:06 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:I'm going to toss out another one:

* System: Windows 9x or XP
* Year: 2002
* Art style: Abstract 3D

The game looked a little like 3D Marble Flip, as mentioned back on Page 30: a 3D isometric view of a rendered green board with things moving over it, including some thing with a propeller on top that looked sort of like a Peehat from Zelda.

All I can really remember is that the game's Windows icon looked like a top-down view of the thing with a propeller on top.

I looked through the other "3D" games published by Cosmi on Mobygames and saw nothing that seemed to match.
Ayoye, I have it at last! I must have learned of this at some point, but forgot.

The name is AirXonix, and it's a Qix clone!
http://www.axysoft.com/airxonix/

kurokikaze

Postby kurokikaze » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:11 am UTC

* Year: Late 80-s ~ Early-90s, NES Game
* Perspective: Top-down on world map, "first-person" in dungeons
* Art style: Typical NES (?)
* Environment: Fantasy
* Mood: Explore dungeons, battle monsters
* Genre: Adventure/RPG (?)
* Gameplay: Basically you had world map in top-down mode, then went down into dungeons with "first-person" perspective, and I remember you had to fight some type of skeletal lizard early on (?) I don't really remember if there were RPG elements. Game probably was Japanese.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:10 pm UTC

Changes its form depending on the observer.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:19 am UTC

It could conceivably be Fester's Quest, actually.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaNlgy8G ... page#t=261

Vis0n

Postby Vis0n » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:25 pm UTC

* System: PC, most probably Win 2000 / XP
* Year: early 2000s
* Perspective: top-down 2D
* Art style: Tile - based, rather cartoonish
* Environment: caves, the protagonist was some sort of medieval thief who had to collect jewels and fight monsters like serpents or skeletons. I remember being killed by monsters but also by traps like fires, electrical traps, spikes... Fantasy setting
* Mood: It was caves, so not particularly cheerful, but not overwhelmingly depressive
* Genre: Solo puzzle / adventure game. Basically it was a mix between Boulder Dash and Chip's Challenge
* Gameplay: The goal was to collect jewels and unlock doors with keys to go on to the next level. There were specific types of tiles on which you could step only with the appropriate item : ice skates for ice, fire extinguisher for fire etc. There were also some kind of force floors which forced your character to move in a specific direction. You could collect items like boots, ice skates, bows, explosives... I remember that keys could only open specific doors: blue key for blue door, red key for red door etc. I know it sounds a lot like Chip's Challenge or Boulder Dash, but it's definitely not one of those. It's more like a Chip's Challenge clone in a medieval fantasy setting with gameplay elements from Boulder Dash. Oh, and I remember that on the title or loading screen there was some sort of medieval thief character with a hood carrying a bag full of jewels, and the name of the game was displayed in letters encased in jewels. I just can't put my finger on it.

Hope you guys can help ! Thanks a lot in advance

edewaele79

Postby edewaele79 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:41 pm UTC

Trying to remember a computer game from the late 80s to early 90s possibly. All I can remember is that you play a male character (i think there are other characters too) and at one point in the game (i think) you go through a doorway(?) and end up on mars. You can travel on this train thing from one station to another. Very vague, I understand. Hopefully someone can help me out. This is the last game I have to figure out, as all the other ones I played and wanted to find again from that time I have.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:47 pm UTC

edewaele79 wrote:Trying to remember a computer game from the late 80s to early 90s possibly. All I can remember is that you play a male character (i think there are other characters too) and at one point in the game (i think) you go through a doorway(?) and end up on mars. You can travel on this train thing from one station to another. Very vague, I understand. Hopefully someone can help me out. This is the last game I have to figure out, as all the other ones I played and wanted to find again from that time I have.

If it were ten years later, I'd say Half Life...

Could it be Another World?

If you look at the first post in the thread, there's a template you could fill out that could help you come up with more details that people can use to narrow down the game - filling that out might get you better targeted responses...

Markus__1

Postby Markus__1 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:38 pm UTC

edewaele79 wrote:Trying to remember a computer game from the late 80s to early 90s possibly. All I can remember is that you play a male character (i think there are other characters too) and at one point in the game (i think) you go through a doorway(?) and end up on mars. You can travel on this train thing from one station to another. Very vague, I understand. Hopefully someone can help me out. This is the last game I have to figure out, as all the other ones I played and wanted to find again from that time I have.

Quite certainly Zak McKracken.

Grop

Postby Grop » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:00 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:Could it be Another World?

That would be Flashback. In Another World you don't take trains and you are on some unknown planet.

But then in Flashback you take the metro in some solar system planet which may be Mars (Or was it Earth ? It is clearly stated in the game, but I don't remember. Also everything on this planet happens indoors). And you got there through a portal.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:52 pm UTC

The journeyman project?

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:33 pm UTC

So I'm looking for this chess-like game with balls but don't know how to search for it. Maybe someone here can help me.

* System: PC, maybe MS-DOS
* Year: mid-90s
* Genre: Board game
You play against an AI (don't think it had multiplayer) in a boardgame that looks like chess or checkers, but you have balls of various sizes as pieces. Bigger balls can eat smaller balls. Balls could only move towards the enemy I think, and you take turns with your opponent. I thought there were also special tiles, with something like teleportation. And there was an UNDO button (I remember this because I was wondering what this word meant at the time :P)

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:43 am UTC

Lawrencelot wrote:So I'm looking for this chess-like game with balls but don't know how to search for it. Maybe someone here can help me.

* System: PC, maybe MS-DOS
* Year: mid-90s
* Genre: Board game
You play against an AI (don't think it had multiplayer) in a boardgame that looks like chess or checkers, but you have balls of various sizes as pieces. Bigger balls can eat smaller balls. Balls could only move towards the enemy I think, and you take turns with your opponent. I thought there were also special tiles, with something like teleportation. And there was an UNDO button (I remember this because I was wondering what this word meant at the time :P)
I know! I know! That's the game with the woefully generic title of Funball. The graphics sure looked impressive on the ol' 286.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/funball/screenshots
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDRHFsyiXPI

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:38 am UTC

So fast! Thanks a lot Jorpho :D

edewaele79

Postby edewaele79 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:40 pm UTC

Markus__1 wrote:
Quite certainly Zak McKracken.

Yes!! That's it! Thanks so much!! :)

vinipsmaker

Postby vinipsmaker » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:12 am UTC

Who knows this snes game?

• It's a 2d side-scrolling (like Mario).
  • You control a green character like the following image I draw.
  • Its weapon is a trident.

Image:
game.png
The green character
game.png (2.93 KiB) Viewed 14841 times

Deva

Postby Deva » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:32 am UTC

vinipsmaker

Postby vinipsmaker » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:35 am UTC

Deva wrote:Xandra's Big Adventure?

Yes, this is the game!

I was about to give up on the quest of find this game. Thank you so much Deva.

If I ever write some good story, I'll name one of the important characters with the name "Deva". Thanks!
=) =D

kstaley

Postby kstaley » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:53 am UTC

Vis0n wrote:* System: PC, most probably Win 2000 / XP
* Environment: caves, the protagonist was some sort of medieval thief who had to collect jewels and fight monsters like serpents or skeletons. I remember being killed by monsters but also by traps like fires, electrical traps, spikes... Fantasy setting
* Mood: It was caves, so not particularly cheerful, but not overwhelmingly depressive
* Genre: Solo puzzle / adventure game. Basically it was a mix between Boulder Dash and Chip's Challenge
* Gameplay: The goal was to collect jewels and unlock doors with keys to go on to the next level. There were specific types of tiles on which you could step only with the appropriate item : ice skates for ice, fire extinguisher for fire etc. There were also some kind of force floors which forced your character to move in a specific direction. You could collect items like boots, ice skates, bows, explosives... I remember that keys could only open specific doors: blue key for blue door, red key for red door etc. I know it sounds a lot like Chip's Challenge or Boulder Dash, but it's definitely not one of those. It's more like a Chip's Challenge clone in a medieval fantasy setting with gameplay elements from Boulder Dash. Oh, and I remember that on the title or loading screen there was some sort of medieval thief character with a hood carrying a bag full of jewels, and the name of the game was displayed in letters encased in jewels. I just can't put my finger on it.

SubTerra.

Vis0n

Postby Vis0n » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:14 pm UTC

kstaley wrote:
Vis0n wrote:* System: PC, most probably Win 2000 / XP

SubTerra.

Thank you so much! this is exactly what I was looking for. You're the man !

Inglonias

Postby Inglonias » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:59 pm UTC

* Background: I played this game with my friend, but I can't remember the title. I never actually owned this game.
* System: XBox
* Year: Sometime between 2003 - 2006 is when I played it
* Perspective: Isometric view of the board, and I can't remember if the fighting game portion was a static or dynamic camera.
* Art style: Realistic, or as realistic as possible given the setting.
* Environment: A hexagonal board of earth-like terrain, and a stage based on the terrain the fight happened in for the fighting game.
* Mood: It was a game about demi-gods and dragons, so I guess the game tried to make itself feel big.
* Genre: Turn based strategy/Fighting (There can't be too many games on the XBox like this, right?)
* Gameplay: The game was a turn based strategy game. There were a few campaigns and the ability to start a one-off game. The game would turn into a fighting game (3D models, but I can't remember if you could move in all 3 dimensions, or just two) between two pieces from different teams that occupied the same space. Each type of piece had a different moveset. The winner got to live and claim the space. The campaigns were about a fight between several demi-gods all trying to claim full godhood. The different demi-gods were basically all different elements (fire, water, earth, air, shadow, and I think there was a sixth one.)

In a one-off game, each player would be allowed to assemble their team of creatures like a 40K game. There's a point limit, and your team must be below that limit. The full god version of each demigod was worth the most, followed by demi-gods, and then other weaker creatures.

Deva

Postby Deva » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:34 pm UTC

Inglonias

Postby Inglonias » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:38 pm UTC

Deva wrote:Wrath Unleashed?

That's the one! Thank you very much. I've been thinking about this for a day or two.

deusxmachina

Postby deusxmachina » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:27 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:All right, this might be an easy one. All this time I thought it was Police Quest III, but I never bothered to look into it until now.

This is a point-and-click adventure game I saw being played on a DOS PC around 1995 or so. Its most distinctive feature in my mind is that you start off the game in your underwear, and one of the first things you have to do (I think it's first-person perspective) is find your clothes and put them on. The graphics are fairly realistic, and the action is accompanied by a little animation of the player character tucking in his shirt.

Details in are otherwise fuzzy. All I remember is some dialog about someone (the mayor?) being very upset that his daughter was among other people found brutally killed in a recent crime wave, and that the first thing you should do is go to the park (?) and look for a man called "The Joke".

Any thoughts?

Rise of the Dragon.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:09 am UTC

deusxmachina wrote:Rise of the Dragon.
Ahh, that's the one! I have the feeling someone told me that before, and I forgot. Thank you.

May I repost this one from page 30?

Jorpho wrote:If I may say so, the template is really a bit on the clunky side. But then, I don't think I could propose a better one.

* Background: A game from elementary school.
* System: Apple IIe
* Year: Late 80's early 90's.
* Perspective: 2D overhead
* Art style: Extremely basic

This was an educational game that literally consisted of nothing more than wandering through a maze. You were allowed to take one navigational aid with you. Taking muddy boots would mean you would leave a set of footprints as you moved from room to room, while taking a ball of yarn would depict your character as a ball of yarn. Taking a map or a piece of chalk would show your character in its true form: a mouse. Different skill levels were available; one of them would award you the title of "Knight of Cheddar" when you completed the maze.

I believe the game was on the same disk as another one involving bees. You would be shown a couple of different patterns of bees, and then be instructed to input a set of symbols. You would then see how the bees react to that set of symbols. The idea was of course to find the set of symbols that would cause the bees to react according to the pattern you were originally shown.

Return to “Gaming”