Games you can't remember the title of.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Re: Games you can't remember the title of.

Postby Deva » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:59 pm UTC

horza wrote:* System: PC.
* Year: 2002+ (After neveriwnter nights, iirc - because i remember comparing it with nwn)
* Perspective: isometric but controllable camera (much like NWN)
* Art style: Looks a bit like Paradox's "Runemaster"
* Environment: medieval, historical/realistic (no magic iirc)
* Mood: dark, realistic stuff
* Genre: rpg/arpg(?),
* Gameplay: I've only read an article about it, so not sure about that.

The thing that stands out though, and if you've played it or heard about it it will surely ring the bell, is that it promised a "realistic items stats" in which swords for example, don't have your regular % to hit, damage, etc. but instead have "blade quality", "weight", "balance" which would somehow yield its effectiveness in combat.

I keep turning to "Runemaster" - which ticks all the boxes but can't confirm it also had that itemization, so i'm at a loss. Please help.

Mount & Blade? Sees Speed, Reach, Swing, Thrust, and Weight as one-handed weapon attributes. Misses several marks, however, such as camera and release date. (Presumes this to be you.)

Edit: Found an article on Runemaster.
Locusinn.com wrote:Welcome to developer diary 5 for Runemaster where we focus on combat attributes! As you should know by now, Runemaster will focus on your hero in the quests and on the main map - but when the battle starts, your hero will be moved from the world map and into a battlefield when you encounter enemies. The battles of Runemaster will be turn-based, tactical battles based on a hex grid system. There your Hero joins his/her army and take active part in combat as a unit on the battlefield. And there are several combat attributes that govern how well the character performs during combat.

There will absolutely be more dev diaries describing the combat system later, but for now we’ll give you a quick overview of the combat attributes that all units have:
    Health
    Armor
    Melee damage
    Melee piercing
    Ranged damage
    Ranged piercing
    Range
    Magic damage
    Magic resistance
    Terror
    Discipline
    Movement speed

Cannot imagine realistic item attributes with those on display.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

horza

Postby horza » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:47 pm UTC

Hey Deva,

You saved me once, somewhere in this thread - I'll always remember that :)

Yea that was my reddit post as well. It's not mount and blade, I've played that and wouldve remembered it.
It seems it's not Runemaster either.

I'm beginning to seriously doubt my memory, however that stats system really impressed me at the time and it stuck in my mind - I remember setting myself to follow that title, but somehow fell off the radar - I presume it never came out...

I'll keep looking, thanks a lot though for confirming it's not Runemaster because that was most confusing :)

Deva

Postby Deva » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:20 pm UTC

Do you remember the magazine that the article was in?

New User

Postby New User » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:38 am UTC

Sounds like Exanima or Sui Generis, but those are relatively recent games. Sui Generis was never released, and Exanima never made it out of early access and appears to be dead.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:56 pm UTC

Sounds like a Molyneuxed version of an RPG. I'm not saying that you absolutely couldn't make a worthwhile game using physical stats rather than jumping straight to derived/summary stats for weapons, but without some significant gameplay effect, which may, in turn, require more in-depth mechanics and more complex controls to support them, you're going to see the same effects as having weapon speed, hit chance and damage, but with the actual values obfuscated from the player, and more computational load to get there.

horza

Postby horza » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:04 pm UTC

New User wrote:Sounds like Exanima or Sui Generis, but those are relatively recent games. Sui Generis was never released, and Exanima never made it out of early access and appears to be dead.

They both have the same premise, I think. It might've been a really early promise from one of the makers.

Incidentally - if you look at their gameplay movies, they look like they're the same game so Exanima might be the reborn-into-early-access version of the failed Sui Generis.

New User

Postby New User » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:41 am UTC

Yeah they are pretty much the same game. Sui Generis was supposed to be on a wider scale I think, like an open-world kind of game, but Exanima was just a dungeon crawler with the same engine I guess.

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:50 pm UTC

Euro board game. Played it around 2013.

It's a card only game, no board, no tokens if I recall correctly.

It involves building inventions in different eras, and you can chain the builds together. I think there were 7 total eras. Inventions were grouped into color codes. You played the horizontally, not vertically, in front of you.

That's about all I remember.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Deva

Postby Deva » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:02 pm UTC

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:04 pm UTC

Deva wrote:Innovation?

Thank you! It's been bugging me for a while, and I just couldn't find the right search terms.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:06 pm UTC

emceng wrote:
Deva wrote:Innovation?

Thank you! It's been bugging me for a while, and I just couldn't find the right search terms.

One of my favourite games, I highly recommend it as long as you're prepared for a game that is more about navigating chaos than building a stable engine for incremental progress.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:26 pm UTC

I also highly recommend playing the revised rules for the Great People expansion; it makes the game play out much better than the Echoes rules of "just shuffle some in" did.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:20 pm UTC

Xanthir wrote:I also highly recommend playing the revised rules for the Great People expansion; it makes the game play out much better than the Echoes rules of "just shuffle some in" did.

Oh yeah, I think those rules were retconned into newer versions of Echoes too.

(For reference: In the original Echoes rules, you take some number of expansion cards and shuffle those into the base decks. In the revised rules, you use the full piles from each, and keep them separate, and when you draw a card there are conditions under which you draw an Echoes card instead of a base card.)
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:04 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:Something made me think of this cyberpunk-ish sourcemod I remember hearing about a while back. the story had something to do with a girl/woman with pyrokinetic abilities, possibly the main character? I'm just wondering if that rings a bell for anybody.

So, funny story. I was spring cleaning my harddrive when I stumbled upon a large multi-part zip with a weird name. Opened it up and discovered a sourcemod called "G-String". That didn't ring any bells, so I searched it up and realized it was this very same sourcemod that I had forgotten the name of and tried to find five years ago. As far as I can tell, I downloaded it way back in 2011, never installed it, forgot the name and that I had actually downloaded it, and somehow it survived 7 years, getting moved from harddrive to harddrive along with a bunch of crap I just never paid any attention to.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

KillerN00B

Postby KillerN00B » Sun May 06, 2018 1:23 am UTC

Background: It is an old tank war game but you dont control the tank. You buy different ones to confront the opponent.

System: IOS, iphone or Ipad

Year: Around 2010-2013

Perspective: Top-down view, cant remember if you played vertically or horizontally.

Art style: Retroistic, with a war flair to it.

Environment: You would play levels and each level would play on a different field.

Genre: It was a strategy game i believe.

Gameplay: You would be on the bottom of the screen and the ai at the top, but you have to scroll to reach him. You would earn money gradually and send different kinds of tanks and to his base. You would also build different towers to defend your area.

Deva

Postby Deva » Mon May 07, 2018 4:43 pm UTC

Z? Will add Gratuitous Tank Battles also, just in case. (Probably did not release it for iOS systems. Feels uncertain.)

Edit: Or Allied Star Police?

Return to “Gaming”