Games you can't remember the title of.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

JayDee

Re: Games you can't remember the title of.

Postby JayDee » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:52 pm UTC

YamaNeko wrote:http://i34.tinypic.com/9qb79h.jpg
[...]
I need help with the Red Winged S and Pink Spikeball.
The little pink thing looks like candy to me, especially at that size. Some sort of collectible from a game where you grab dozens of them?
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

YamaNeko

Postby YamaNeko » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:14 am UTC

Jar'O'Jam wrote:The spikeball could be from Katamari Damacy.

I believe it is.
Did an image search and found this:
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x126 ... g_cake.jpg

So thanks! :D

immolator666

Postby immolator666 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:44 pm UTC

Please, if anyone can help me with this then you'll be saving a guy from completely losing his marbles....
or at least if anyone can confirm they knew of it's existence! I've searched all over the net!!! :S

Background: It was a platformer, came on a demo CD, Dos based, Don't know if it was full version or not, never got very far... .
Year: It was in the '90s.
Perspective: 2D, old skool platformer. Mario style, u know the ones. :)
Art style: 2D, grim backdrops etc. Gangster street corner thug style graffitti and the likes. Like 'Magic Pockets' the street kid.
Environment: Just random platforms, set against a spray painted graffitti background and such... brickwork backgrounds i believe?
Mood: Dingey yet platformy 'fun'. Drug based so was 'adult'
Genre: Platformer.
Gameplay: You basically just jumped around on the platforms collecting drugs. When you picked up a drug, you could use it or stash it. If you took them then the effects of the drug were displayed (flashy screens or wavy screens etc) dependant
on drug taken. If you mixed too many drugs together then you Overdosed and died. I think there may have been a face in the corner that turned into a skull the more you used the drugs until you overdosed or something?

Please help, coz it's driving me up the wall, and I have absolutely no idea what it was called or anything! Other than this, all I can do is try and search through decades worth of old CD's in the attic which would take probably twice as long to get through...
Oh, and no, this game DID exist, it's not because I was or am on drugs! lol! :P
Please help!!!!

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:38 pm UTC

Not NARC?

New User

Postby New User » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:35 am UTC

I thought NARC was more like Double Dragon, but instead of two guys killing criminals with fists it was two guys killing criminals with guns. It wasn't platformy, if I recall.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:24 am UTC

It reminds me of a game that does the exact opposite: A Space Invaders clone where instead of aliens, criminals (possibly schoolboy bullies) threw hypodermic needles at you, and you had to "Just Say No" (when you came out from behind your yellow fortified base). Of course, if too many drugs hit you, your icon turned into a skull and you got a game over screen warning you the dangers of drugs.

Because, you know, drugs kill. Especially when heartless criminals throw them at you. (In their defence, they could have claimed they were medical syringes and they were just trying to help their insulin-bereft diabetes-sufferin' friend out)

I think it was called Drug Fighter or something. Christ, the 1990s sucked at anti-drugs propaganda. Or did it?
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

BennyHill

Postby BennyHill » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:12 am UTC

Kind of a hard request here, but I've been thinking of this game for a while now. My memories of it are fairly sketchy and I can really only remember one thing vividly, but I'll give it a shot regardless.

* Background: I played this game when I was young on a friend of the family's computer (who I have lost contact with so I can't ask them). I'm sure it was a kids game of some sort, but again I don't remember too much. It was on an old Windows 95 (or 98) system.
* Year: I must have played it around 1998-2002ish but I don't really know when it was made.
* Perspective: From what I remember it was a 2D point and click type of game.
* Art style: Kinda standard art style, if that makes any sense. Nothing that really stands out in my memories.
* Environment: The one area I remember (vividly) was kind of a dark industrial looking area with a traffic light (or some sort of light fixture) somewhere in it.
* Mood:
* Genre: Pretty sure it was a puzzle based point and click game, or something similar.
* Gameplay: The one part of the game I remember vividly was in earlier stated industrial area where you needed to change the colors of the individual lights to some colors (I remember one of them being purple). I think you had to change the colors related to what you have done previously, but I'm not entirely sure.
I know this is kinda vague but I can't remember it entirely, just ask if you need any more info.
Thanks in advance.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:56 pm UTC

BennyHill wrote:Kind of a hard request here, but I've been thinking of this game for a while now. My memories of it are fairly sketchy and I can really only remember one thing vividly, but I'll give it a shot regardless.

* Background: I played this game when I was young on a friend of the family's computer (who I have lost contact with so I can't ask them). I'm sure it was a kids game of some sort, but again I don't remember too much. It was on an old Windows 95 (or 98) system.
* Year: I must have played it around 1998-2002ish but I don't really know when it was made.
* Art style: Kinda standard art style, if that makes any sense. Nothing that really stands out in my memories.
* Environment: The one area I remember (vividly) was kind of a dark industrial looking area with a traffic light (or some sort of light fixture) somewhere in it.
* Mood:
* Genre: Pretty sure it was a puzzle based point and click game, or something similar.
* Gameplay: The one part of the game I remember vividly was in earlier stated industrial area where you needed to change the colors of the individual lights to some colors (I remember one of them being purple). I think you had to change the colors related to what you have done previously, but I'm not entirely sure.
I know this is kinda vague but I can't remember it entirely, just ask if you need any more info.
Thanks in advance.
Was the protagonist male, female, self-assigned? Were there enemies or NPCs you could interact with?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:51 pm UTC

I was thinking something along the Myst/Riven/Exile angle, what with the clickety-pointing and non-intrusive realism of the graphics.

HOWEVER, there was this game I played, called WEIRD, which was an 'interactive museum' in a Mystische point-n-click static-screen-style presentation that freaked the entire fuck out of me, and it required solving many a puzzle in order to reach other wings of the museum (you played as a wheeled wooblie robot, kinda like Wall·E). It's probably not what BrianHill was referring to, but the whole thing fits in with the vague description, so I thought I'd use this opportunity to ask if anyone else remembers it? FREAKIN' FREAKY WASN'T IT? With the Money Pit? And the Bermuda Standing Tombs? And the giant hammer that would just fall out of the darkness if you took the wrong turn in the maze?

*shivers*
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

agibson

Postby agibson » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:13 pm UTC

New User wrote:
agibson wrote:There was this game I used to play on the Colecovision (yes...we had one!) where you had to jump on this 3d cubes and turn them all the same color before the time was up or you got eaten by something. I can remember dozens of nights coming home while in High School and seeing my mom up playing it at midnight. She would always want to play a game or two before I went to bed. I used to think she was just checking to see if I was sober, but I learned later on in life that she really enjoyed playing that game and just hanging out with me for a little bit each day like that. Makes me miss her even more now. :cry:

Anyone remember the name of it?

That's most likely Q*Bert, or one of its many clones.

THAT'S IT! Loved that game. I actually saw an arcade version of it a few years back at a local bowling alley. I can still here the sounds of that game in my head to this day.

Thanks gents!

Andy

BennyHill

Postby BennyHill » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:29 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
BennyHill wrote:Kind of a hard request here, but I've been thinking of this game for a while now. My memories of it are fairly sketchy and I can really only remember one thing vividly, but I'll give it a shot regardless.

* Mood:
Thanks in advance.
Was the protagonist male, female, self-assigned? Were there enemies or NPCs you could interact with?

I think the main protagonist was a male, but I have slight memories of there maybe being a group of people within the game. As for NPCs, I'm not entirely sure.

Felstaff wrote:I was thinking something along the Myst/Riven/Exile angle, what with the clickety-pointing and non-intrusive realism of the graphics.

HOWEVER, there was this game I played, called WEIRD, which was an 'interactive museum' in a Mystische point-n-click static-screen-style presentation that freaked the entire fuck out of me, and it required solving many a puzzle in order to reach other wings of the museum (you played as a wheeled wooblie robot, kinda like Wall·E). It's probably not what BrianHill was referring to, but the whole thing fits in with the vague description, so I thought I'd use this opportunity to ask if anyone else remembers it? FREAKIN' FREAKY WASN'T IT? With the Money Pit? And the Bermuda Standing Tombs? And the giant hammer that would just fall out of the darkness if you took the wrong turn in the maze?

*shivers*

Hmm... I actually think this may be close to what I'm looking for. I do remember being freaked out a little by this game but again, not entirely sure. I tried doing a google search, but I couldn't find anything. You wouldn't happen to have a link or anything related to "Weird" would you?

stenk

Postby stenk » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:03 am UTC

This might be the 'Weird' you're looking for. Seems to fit what Felstaff was talking about.

Anyway, I've got one as well. I even remember looking for it years ago, but have had no success in finding anything.

Background: Played it ages ago, not quite sure if it was on an early Pentium or the mighty 486. It was likely a DOS game.
Year: I guess it was sometime around 2000 (probably earlier). The game itself didn't look like much though, early 90s maybe?
Perspective: 2d top-down, tile-based.
Art style: Don't really remember what it looked like.
Environment: Things took place in a (big) city. Each tile was a building/location, buildings could also be searched for stuff. There might have been a military base at the edge of the city.
Genre: I'm pretty sure it was turn-based strategy, 'cause I really can't imagine it being real-time. I also think it was for 1-4 players, hotseat.
Gameplay: I have the most vivid memories about this one. At the beginning you control two characters: a (likely mad) scientist and a monster (created by the former). You could move each character individually around the city. Certain (if not all) locations could be entered and an inventory screen would pop up, showing you things you have and things in the building. There were definitely weapons as well as some random stuff, which could be used as parts for a replication machine. I think the machine had to be built in a stationary location, gathering stuff nearby and bringing it together. This machine, when complete, could be used to replicate either your monster or scientist, so you could create a kind of army, equipped with scavenged weapons. I think other players were enemies, but there were also cops and such around the city. At a later stage the military came to kill everyone. Stuff from killed enemies could also be taken.

I've tried uncountable keywords searching for this game, even went through several lists of games. Sadly I haven't developed any mental connection with the name of this game, since my english was pretty much non-existant back then. Surely someone here must know of a game with such an awesome concept.

Shassar

Postby Shassar » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:04 pm UTC

Hi! I just came across these forums and I noticed this thread, and I was hoping you could help me find the name of this game I loved as a kid!

* Background: I remember I played this game on the old iMac (the turqoisey one, with the handle on top, I think Mac OS 8 or 9?)
* Year: I played it at my old house, so it must have been before 2004? I think?
* Perspective: It was third person, 2-D with a fixed camera
* Art style: Sprite-based
* Environment: At first you were in some sort of forest,eventually you had to go through some cave of some sort and eventually a haunted-castle type thing. Kinda generic fantasy land.
* Mood: It started off fairly standard adventurey, but eventually got pretty dark
* Genre:It was a point and click side-scrolling adventure.
* Gameplay: I remeber so much about it! I starts off with some evil jester going around and turning people to stone, and exploding a squirrel. Your father gets turned to stone, so you go find and defeat the jester. Along the way there's your friend which hides in a tree and you have to throw stuff at him to get him down;
There's a bridge inside a cave which is broken and you have to get the carpenter his saw to fix it; there was some sort of temple, and you had to gather all these gemstones and you got some sacred amulet with four crystal slots which you unlocked as you went along; one turned you into this floating purple sphere that would allow you to get through the dark cave without dying to the darkness, and one turned you invisible; the invisibility allowed you to get past these gargoyle type things to the castle, and I remember that by that point everyone is either turned to stone except for the carpenter whose a zombie and in the castle he comes at you with his saw. The last boss was the jester in this mirror room, and you had to turn invisible so his spell would reflect off the mirror andhit him instead.
I think the title had a K in it, but I can't be sure.

Anyway, thanks in advance for the help guys :D

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:33 pm UTC

Legend of Kyrandia

Shassar

Postby Shassar » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:37 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:Legend of Kyrandia

Thank you thank you thank you! You just made my day!

New User

Postby New User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:39 am UTC

Now it's my turn. I've been wondering about this one lately:

* Background: I'm pretty sure it was for NES, as I'm quite sure I played it during the years of NES's heyday so likely late 1980's thru early 1990's. Most likely it was one of the many, many NES games I rented from the video store when I was that age, although it's also possible that it's an arcade game. It was a fighting game that takes place on a city street, one-on-one fighting but in the style of Double Dragon, i.e. both fighters could move left and right and "up" and "down" (closer and farther away from the player), and when one player wins the fight the loser of the match is thrown into an open sewer hole. After this happens, a third person like a referee comes out and says "1 2 3" and declares the winner of the fight. Here's the weird part: recently I searched for this game and found Urban Champion on NES which involves two fighters and the loser falls into an open sewer, but the fighters can only move left and right and there is no "1 2 3". You see, this referee saying "1 2 3" is perhaps the most important thing I remember about the game as my brother and I thought it was hilarious that the referee says all three numbers in a single speech bubble which implies he says it quickly, and a count of three isn't enough time for someone to climb out of a sewer in any event. So I wonder if there is an arcade version of Urban Champion? Or did my mind mix up memories of Urban Champion for NES with something else we thought was funny at the time?
* Year: I think it was the late 1980s or early 1990s, when I would still rent NES games from the video store so probably before SNES was out.
* Perspective: I think the right word is "isometric", it was just like Double Dragon, two fighters could move in four directions: left and right or closer and farther away.
* Art style: Sprite based, my mind wants to imagine NES style graphics but I think it's my imagination, not an actual memory.
* Environment: It was one generic male fighter against another. It might have had some basic indicator to tell them apart like one had a different color palette or something. They fought in a city street in front of buildings and I think the fighting took place at night. Although it was a fighting game, I don't think there was any kind of life bar on screen.
* Mood: Testosterone-induced fist-to-face action, with the loser ending up horribly mangled after falling into an open sewer hole. Hilarious that the referee only pretends to give the loser a chance to recover from knockdown.
* Genre: Fighting game. I'm pretty sure that two players could fight against each other, or a single player could fight the CPU.
* Gameplay: Unlike later fighting games (Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat) there weren't any characters to choose from, just one generic fighter against another. All movesets were likely identical, the only advantages you might have in a fight would be to trick the opponent and time your attacks cleverly.

Thanks for helping me identify it, but as I stated in the Background section I'm afraid I may be confusing memories of the game Urban Champion with memories of something else I thought was funny when I was a kid. The main reason I think it's NOT Urban Champion is because I seem to remember the fighters moving in four directions, and in Urban Champion they can only move in two directions. I asked my brother about this game recently, he remembers it too but not what it's called, but it's also possible that his memories are mixed up if we constantly made jokes about it when we were kids. Here's a picture of how it appears in my mind, minus color.
oldgame.PNG

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:11 am UTC

New User wrote:So I wonder if there is an arcade version of Urban Champion?
Yes indeed. It would be referred to as VS Urban Champion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Vs._System

There is unfortunately no apparent video footage of the game, nor a conveniently available description of how it differs from the NES version, but it is quite possible that it contains the feature you are wondering about. (Vs Super Mario Bros differed a fair bit from the NES version, you see.) The ROM should be readily available.

The Muffin Man

Postby The Muffin Man » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:29 pm UTC

modis wrote:* Background: I played it on the PC. Everything took place in the "sky." I think you drove around it a hover car. There where long pathways with places you could drive off onto lower paths, and city like areas where I would promptly get killed. I don't really remember what did the killing though, it might have been turrets or other vehicles crashing into me. There were pyramids with flat tops in the "city" that I could survive on by driving in circles. Trying to get back out of the city would usually get me killed.
* Year: late 90s or early 00s
* Perspective: 3D
* Art style: I seem to remember it being fairly dark, but that might have just been a black background.
* Genre: Single player driving.

I know this is from a few pages back, but I registered just to answer this. The name of the game is Zone Raiders. 100% certain. I've been looking for it for years myself, and only found it a few days ago. It runs in DOSbox, if you can get ahold of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7eQwBGKjWM

Sniffed link. It's safe. [puts down the speculum] ~~Felstaff

Also reminds me of Interstate '76. Except there're no wheels and badass afro-dude

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:52 pm UTC

... holy crap, I'd forgotten Zone Raiders even existed, and in watching that video I just got hit with a huge goddamn wave of memory.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

modis

Postby modis » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:35 pm UTC

That's just what I was looking for, thank you so much.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:14 pm UTC

* Background: I fairly remember it being an Apple 2.
* Year: I played in school around 1996. However since it is a school computer (which is always older than current computers, it's probably dated earlier)
* Perspective: 8-bit sprites...kind of? Bird's eye view of a train station
* Art style: Sprite-based
* Environment: Urban Train station
* Mood: As I recall, it was very stressful since it looked like everything killed you, no one had any idea what was going on, and we didn't know what the goal was
* Genre: Action game
* Gameplay: Essentially you're a guy in a hat is some sort of agent. A train will arrive and a few enemies disembark. Touching an enemy results in death. I recall that you could drop crystals which (may) turn enemies into normal people (other citizens could become enemies again) but you had a limited amount. And I vaguely recall (since I tried to look up info about the game later but can't remember the name) that you could grow more crystals by leaving them on the ground and letting them propogate. Maybe.

We're talking 8.5 floppy disks though so... /me shrugs.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:29 pm UTC

Ahh, yes, I remember reading about that one. (Really, how could one forget reading a description like that?)

The answer is Agent USA.
http://classicgaming.gamespy.com/View.p ... tail&id=33

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:44 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:Ahh, yes, I remember reading about that one. (Really, how could one forget reading a description like that?)

The answer is Agent USA.
http://classicgaming.gamespy.com/View.p ... tail&id=33

That is basically it. I wonder if I can find a way to play a copy so that I can finally defeat that which confused me when I was a little kid.(Turns out yes, yes I can) Because as a little kid it was the most hopeless "Oh me yarm, what the hell is going on, I'm dead >_<" thing ever. You are my hero sir, Jorpho.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:16 am UTC

* Year: Mid-'90s? DOS probably, maybe early windows-age.
* Art style: Sprite based, probably
* Environment: Snowy landscape. I think it's set in Soviet or something. Vaguely steampunk.
* Genre: Strategy/simulator..?
* Perspective: 2D.
* Gameplay: It was a sort of train simulator thing, you traveled between cities in an arctic landscape and gathered and sold resources like coal. The city names sounded very eastern Europe, former-soviet-ish. I'm fairly certain you could go to Warsaw.

--edit--

So I spent a good while googling before I made that post. Then I googled for like a minute more, and found the game. Was Transarctica.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

sparky222b

Postby sparky222b » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:57 am UTC

New User wrote:* Background: I'm pretty sure it was for NES ........

Are you talking about River City Ransom?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfwLBk1zvrw
Last edited by Felstaff on Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:31 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link's coo. Accepted.

Moose Hole

Postby Moose Hole » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:35 pm UTC

I used to play a game on my Commodore 64. It had a bunch of different style games, like disc tron and some shooting and mazes. I think it was in Russia and possibly some sort of spy game.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:50 pm UTC

Moose Hole wrote:I think it was in Russia and possibly some sort of spy game.
That's really not helpful.

Unless it was Green Beret, of course.

New User

Postby New User » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:24 am UTC

sparky222b wrote:
New User wrote:* Background: I'm pretty sure it was for NES ........

Are you talking about River City Ransom?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfwLBk1zvrw

I've played River City Ransom quite a bit, and that's not the one. I'm going to conclude that my mind is mixing Urban Champion with something else.

Brokenunity

Postby Brokenunity » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:02 pm UTC

Background: Would have been on one of the following: PS1, Sega Genesis, N64, but probably the PS1.
* Year: It definately came out in the 90's.
* Perspective: Tile Based strategy game, very similar to Final Fantasy Tactics or Shining Force.
* Art style: typical fantasy strategy game art
* Environment: Battle grounds were typical fantasy fare, castles, ruins, fields, dungeons. You basically recruited other characters to play on your team, and then engaged in battle sequences that were a grid. I remember the main character sprite had blue armor and I think the default name was Max. Also I think there was a Dimitri who may have been an archer or a thief.
* Mood: Fantasy game where you move your troops across the board and fulfill battle conditions.
* Genre: Tile Based Strategy.
* Gameplay: All characters were preset and you couldn't change names that I could remember. Also, I seem to think it was called Random Hearts, but searching for that doesn't return anything. I know it's not Tactics Ogre. You could also search parts of the grid to get items like healing herbs or something. Any help would be appreciated!

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:39 pm UTC

Vandal Hearts? Although that was Ash, and the archer was Diego.

Brokenunity

Postby Brokenunity » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:43 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:Vandal Hearts? Although that was Ash, and the archer was Diego.

That is exactly it! Thank you so much!

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:49 pm UTC

Vague question time!

Year: 1999or earlier
3rd person RPG
Standard D&D feel, I think it was D&D rules, though I don't remember.

I thought it was Icewind Dale or Baldur's Gate, but if I recall correctly, it was strictly a 1 person game - no party with you.

The one part I distinctly remember was playing as a mage and having some sort of meteor spell. It would take a while to cast, but if you could kite a bad guy at the right distance, this huge flaming rock would drop from the sky and smash them.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:11 pm UTC

Behind-the-shoulder camera? Isometric? Top down? Static screen?

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:27 pm UTC

Top-down, somewhat like Dungeon Siege. I am pretty sure it was fixed camera too, so no rotating view.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:56 pm UTC

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:13 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Nox?

I don't think so, but I'll investigate when I get home.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:47 pm UTC

emceng wrote:Vague question time!

Year: 1999or earlier
3rd person RPG
Standard D&D feel, I think it was D&D rules, though I don't remember.

I thought it was Icewind Dale or Baldur's Gate, but if I recall correctly, it was strictly a 1 person game - no party with you.

The one part I distinctly remember was playing as a mage and having some sort of meteor spell. It would take a while to cast, but if you could kite a bad guy at the right distance, this huge flaming rock would drop from the sky and smash them.

The person right before you used a template, stop being so lazy. Finish filling this out and get back to us

Background:
* Year: 1999or earlier
* Perspective: Top-down, somewhat like Dungeon Siege. I am pretty sure it was fixed camera too, so no rotating view.
* Art style:
* Environment:
* Mood: Standard D&D feel, I think it was D&D rules, though I don't remember.
* Genre: 3rd person RPG
* Gameplay: I thought it was Icewind Dale or Baldur's Gate, but if I recall correctly, it was strictly a 1 person game - no party with you. The one part I distinctly remember was playing as a mage and having some sort of meteor spell. It would take a while to cast, but if you could kite a bad guy at the right distance, this huge flaming rock would drop from the sky and smash them.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:00 am UTC

Brokenunity wrote:
Felstaff wrote:Vandal Hearts? Although that was Ash, and the archer was Diego.

That is exactly it! Thank you so much!

That is quite seriously the best game ever.

jetuser

Postby jetuser » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:09 am UTC

* Background: This was a game I played on the pc some years ago, I remember it being a tech demo that came on the cd for the graphics card (but I am unable to find said cd at the moment). But it was also a game released for... ps2 or xbox, not sure which one. It was a sort of platformy action game where you would move on rails between rooms, and in each room you had to defeat a certain enemy (almost puzzleish) by launching projectiles that bounced off walls. You had a limited amount of energy which decreased with each shot, but you could get the energy back by pointing at a blue panel on the wall. You were able to move around in the room from platform to platform while shooting or using your shield to block shots from an enemy.
* Year: early 2000-2003
* Perspective: 3D
* Art style: nothing in particular, just a standard 3d with esoteric themed level designs
* Environment: I remember it being something related to a technology sort of level, but egyptian at the same time. But the tech demo showed organic levels and so on and so forth. each room had a specific challenge you had to overcome before moving on to the next level. The last level was a boss pyramid that you had to take down.
* Mood: Dark
* Genre: shooter/platformer/puzzle
* Gameplay: Action. There is one particular level I remember requiring you to take down an enemy (anubis looking) by shooting from a timed portal that opened and closed while you were standing on a particular platform

a_fuzzyduck

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:48 pm UTC

it's not The Sentinel, but it sounds awfully similar
wkw
"GRAPHICS WERE NOT AS GOOD IN THE PAST BUT WE WERE HAPPIER AND MORE INNOCENT THEN" - every retro gaming review, ever

Return to “Gaming”