Games you can't remember the title of.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

jetuser

Re: Games you can't remember the title of.

Postby jetuser » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:32 pm UTC

a_fuzzyduck wrote:it's not The Sentinel, but it sounds awfully similar

No, I almost want to say its a VR world where the main player is attempting to hack in to computers (but doesn't really make sense in context of organic levels, but I've seen weirder)

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:57 pm UTC

At my local Cyberdyne (<3 that it was called that) they had a Dreamcast there and there was this one game called Rez, which was a shooter where you kind of floated around and shot stuff to techno music. It doesn't really sound much like how you first described the game, but the storyline sounds identical to your second post-- a supercomputer has an existential crisis and shuts herself down, and you have to journey into the cyberspace-y VR world to reawaken her and shoot bad guys (mainly ships and polygonal wonders), hacking in to mainframes and the like, all to the sound of a thumpin' 90s techno beat. When you shoot stuff, your projectile missiles kind of went in 90° directions, like computer circuitry, or the "pipes" screensaver in Windows 95. I don't recall bouncing them off walls and the like, but like I said, I only really played it in bursts at my local computer games/Games Workshop shop. The boss or two I played tended to be massive polygonal shapeshifting things, rather than Anubis-like however. And the art style was very Audiosurf, rather than organic.

Man, I wanna play Rez now.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:59 pm UTC

I had Rez for PS2, because it was hailed as a good surrogate for my Panzer Dragoon Orta obsession (I went as far as buying an original Xbox so I could play PDO). Rez was fun, but a bit shallow. It was certainly visually awesome (but then, PDO was more so).

The thing I LOVED about Rez was that I bought it for 30bucks, and sold it a few years later for 95. Apparently it's a rare game.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

jetuser

Postby jetuser » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:28 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:At my local Cyberdyne (<3 that it was called that) they had a Dreamcast there and there was this one game called Rez, which was a shooter where you kind of floated around and shot stuff to techno music. It doesn't really sound much like how you first described the game, but the storyline sounds identical to your second post-- a supercomputer has an existential crisis and shuts herself down, and you have to journey into the cyberspace-y VR world to reawaken her and shoot bad guys (mainly ships and polygonal wonders), hacking in to mainframes and the like, all to the sound of a thumpin' 90s techno beat. When you shoot stuff, your projectile missiles kind of went in 90° directions, like computer circuitry, or the "pipes" screensaver in Windows 95. I don't recall bouncing them off walls and the like, but like I said, I only really played it in bursts at my local computer games/Games Workshop shop. The boss or two I played tended to be massive polygonal shapeshifting things, rather than Anubis-like however. And the art style was very Audiosurf, rather than organic.

Man, I wanna play Rez now.

I've played Rez, but its not this game. Its funny tho, I wonder if it had the same title though. I have a very very vague suspicion it does, if so, it makes me wonder if they redid the game to do something like this with the original concept from the tech demo.

Cramulh

Postby Cramulh » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:38 pm UTC

That's a game I didn't even try, I just saw a friend playing it for a few minutes.
* Year: It was a 8 bit game, most certainly on NES
* Art style: Sprite based
* Environment: Ancient Greece.
* Genre: Most like zelda 2, with a map where you could select which part of greece to visit (there was, among others, attica and peloponnesus)
* Perspective: 2D.
* Gameplay: Platformer. Not unlike zelda 2 you could find items that would open new paths and levels (I remember there were high-jump sandals, for example)
I remember I really wanted to try that game back then, but I never could.
Spoiler:
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST...

New User

Postby New User » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:32 pm UTC

Cramulh wrote:That's a game I didn't even try, I just saw a friend playing it for a few minutes.
* Genre: Most like zelda 2, with a map where you could select which part of greece to visit (there was, among others, attica and peloponnesus)
* Gameplay: Platformer. Not unlike zelda 2 you could find items that would open new paths and levels (I remember there were high-jump sandals, for example)

Sounds like The Battle of Olympus on NES.

Cramulh

Postby Cramulh » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:50 pm UTC

Cramulh wrote:
That's a game I didn't even try, I just saw a friend playing it for a few minutes.

Sounds like The Battle of Olympus on NES.

Oh yes that's the one, thak you so much !
Spoiler:
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST...

Ultrin

Postby Ultrin » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:47 pm UTC

Background: PC Game
Year: Early to Mid 90s
Perspective: First Person for gameplay, 3rd person for scenes
Art style: Similar style to Flight of the Amazon Queen, but of better quality. Story told in picture sequence, with writing along the bottom of scenes.
Environment: You start out in the future, in the opening scene, due to lab accident (that may or may not have been deliberate) you get thrown back in time. You arrive back in time just before the company you worked for became big and have an opportunity to stop the head computer from being created/taking over. You have a Dog companion who acts as your inventory, but only can hold a certain number of items as each item requires energy and he only has 100. Energy can only be got back by eating food.
Mood: some humorous scenes.
Genre: Point and Click Adventure game
Gameplay: Puzzle based point and click. Travel by clicking on the edge of the screen or on something like an elevator, stairs, door etc. When you arrive in the past you need to get a train token to use the subway, after you get that, you go to a dilapidated apartment, you pick up some items, one of them being champagne. You get arrested, then use the champagne to dissolve your bonds. You help two other prisoners escape and they take you to their leader who brings you to a mall, you have to locate a pass card to get to an upper floor in the elevator. You get the card and you find a door where the switch to open it is missing some fuses, you can get one from a food service robot downstairs, couldn't the others. The server robot can feed your dog a hotdog, to replenish energy, but only once.

tasty_cheese

Postby tasty_cheese » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:50 am UTC

Hi there,
I'm looking for a game for the Sega Megadrive/Genisis
I'm afraid I don't know mnuch about the game itself, but maybe this hints help:

* Background: I played the game many many years ago on my uncles Megadrive. He had a lot of games and I could determine almost all of these games by looking for the "all games released list" for Megadrive/Genisis and comparing screenshots :-). But I couldn't find this game anywhere.
You are playing a soldier. Top-down view (like for exampls streets of rage), but you could free-roam the map. The first level was in some kind of jungle and the Boss was a helicopter at some cliff.
You were also able to drive vehicles in this game like a jeep and in one map even a tank.
You had different weapons available as pickup, like a MG, rocket launcher and if i imagine correct - a flamethrower.
Thats all I remember so far. The "Player" itself kind of reminded me of the Duke - dunno why :)
* Year: around 1990-1995
* Perspective: 2D / top-down view.
* Art style: normal 16-bit graphics I would say. Noting special.
* Environment: As above - 1st level in a jungle with a helicopter-boss. Different Military-based levels/maps.
* Mood: Shooter-like. Fast paced action.
* Genre: shooter/action
* Gameplay: Action. Run around and kill enemies (that used to be everyone you see). You could also drive vehicles like a jeep and a tank. Different weapons available. I also remember walking through a swamp-like area, where enemies appear/dive out very near beside you and try killing you with a knife.

And before anyone notices:
My uncle moved several years ago and I don't have any contact with him. So asking him is not an option :P

I hope this description ring anybodies bell out there :)

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:54 am UTC

Uh, Streets of Rage was 2D Side-scrolling, not top-down. If it was like Streets of Rage, it could be Thunder Fox, which was a side-scroller with a helicopter boss, but then it could be any number of games. Side scrolling games can't really be 'free-roaming' as you can only go ultimately right or left, with a little wiggle room for up or down.

Top-down games are things like The Chaos Engine or Cannon Fodder, which are similar to what you describe (military + jungle + Duke-like characters) and are generally macho awesomesauce.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

tasty_cheese

Postby tasty_cheese » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:28 pm UTC

Hm you are right, I mixed that up a bit. It really was top-down view. That streets of rage comparison was stupid - my fault :)
The game looked a lot like your suggestion "Chaos engine", but from a higher point (more on the screen) and better graphics (somehow more "realistic" - as far as you can call it that on the Megadrive).

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:37 pm UTC

Ah, you must mean Mercs.

tasty_cheese

Postby tasty_cheese » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:52 am UTC

YES! Thats the game!
Please have my children! :D
Thanks a lot for your help!

CryptWizard

Postby CryptWizard » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:49 am UTC

* Background: Played it on my home computer in 1997. It was a 286, that when booted up would have a series of menus that let me either boot into Windows 3.1 or start some number of DOS games (or Microsoft Word for DOS :roll: ). It was one of those DOS games.
* Year: Mid 90s, I'd guess.
* Perspective: Side scrolling.
* Art style: Sprite based. Very pixelated.
* Environment: Some outdoor world. There were various monsters. Don't recall any dialogue or weapons. You attacked by shooting some sort of projectile, but definitely not a gun. I distinctively remember a hard to defeat boss that shot projectiles all over the screen, and I eventually realised that I had to actually shoot at those projectiles, which destroyed them, then I could shoot the boss.
* Mood: Neutral.
* Genre: Adventure (I think).
* Gameplay: Controlled through arrow keys. Could jump and attack.

Additional: I think the title had the word "Dream" in it.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:56 am UTC

Could be one of a million side-scrolling platformers, but I'mma guess Commander Keen, as one of them was called "Keen Dreams". I never played that particular episode, but it was a side-scrolling platformer and there were about 10 of them. Sounds about as generic as your description? I know they were all for DOS because I used to get the game number mixed up with the floppy disc number. "Commander Keen 2" Now is that disk two for game one, or disk one for game two?

chunkynut

Postby chunkynut » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:54 pm UTC

Ok I joined to ask supply a request here, but came away remembering how great Frontier: Elite II, Battlezone and Quarantine were! My booze and dope filled youth have ruined my memory - kids take everything in moderation - but here is my request.

Background: PC game, on a demo disk from a magazine probably early 90s. It was an adventure game with an action element maybe, i remember it because the demo started you off in a apartment/hotel room with a dead hooker on the bed (or so i recall (this may show some dark feature within my childhood)) there was a swimming pool in the level, you started by the lifts.
Year: Early 90s
Perspective: 2D top down view.
Art style: Generitc stuff for the time, pixilated.
Environment: Nior style perhaps or near future or both.
Mood: Dark, the dead women on the bed with her guts splayed across the room gave it away.
Genre: Adventure with action elements (maybe)
Gameplay: Realtime movements i seem to remember a gun fight around the swimming pool, you were either a private eye or police investigator of some sort, maybe suspected of killing the woman?

Thanks

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:06 pm UTC

2D top down adventure with a dead hooker? Reckon that's Dreamweb.
Felstaff wrote:Could be one of a million side-scrolling platformers, but I'mma guess Commander Keen, as one of them was called "Keen Dreams".
It does have non-gun projectiles, so good call there - but there's only one boss, and he fires no projectiles.

chunkynut

Postby chunkynut » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:39 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:2D top down adventure with a dead hooker? Reckon that's Dreamweb.

Thats the shit! I may have to give it a go, although the wiki entry says two reviewers gave it 1.5 out of 5 ... these things are always worse than you remember them so this could be awful :D

Dontar

Postby Dontar » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:16 am UTC

* Background: I played it on my windows 98 a long time ago, I remember most is a storybook mode about a giant and had music video cartoons using songs like do your ears hang low, oh Susannah, you cant get to heaven, etc), im remembering it now because someone had Susannah as an email, it got me remembering that song, which got me to remember some of the game and its other songs, and now the songs are stuck in my head..
* Year: I played in in the 90s but dont know when it was released
* Perspective: 2D
* Art style: Cartoony
* Environment: it was an educational reading type game.
* Mood: happy? it was a kids game
* Genre: Puzzle-Based I think
* Gameplay: Point & Click menus, etc..I think the storybook mode had puzzles..

I think if I can get the name of the game, I can finally be rid of these songs stuck in my head....(you try doing dishes while whistling oh Susannah and not get annoyed)

I asked a friend and he said I could get info if I posted on here..

maeleaf

Postby maeleaf » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:19 am UTC

I've been trying to remember the name of three games for a long time and this week I've done so many searches on them that my computer might explode.

Game #1:
PC Game - there were worms and you could either build walls or move them around walls, I can't really remember. I honestly don't even remember if you play as the worm or if you play as something else. There were traps of some kind, but those are fuzzy too. There were a lot of pastel colors used in the game - pinks and purples and light blues. The location almost seemed like a castle (maybe?). The worms moved at a slow, steady pace and made a noise as they moved (as far as I can recall). I remember just playing the game in an imaginative, lazy way - trapping the worms inside squares, making them go wherever I wanted... I cannot remember any more.
Year: Late 80s, early 90s?
Perspective: 2D
Art Style: Simplistic... straight lines
Environment: ?
Mood: Relaxed, but I do feel like there was some fear involved if one of the worms maybe got too close to something?
Genre: I'm not very smart on these things, but maybe puzzle based?
Gameplay: move the worms or whatever it was you moved with the number key pad

Game #2 (this is the one that's been driving me the most nutty trying to remember):
PC Game - I think I played it on Windows 3.0? Windows 98? I can't even recall what year I played this game, but I definitely had it throughout the second half of the 90s, if not earlier.

All I can recall of the game is bright colors, repetitive (my mother would say annoying) Egyptian themed music, Egyptian themed art, and moving walkways that switched directions. I can't recall the main character in the game. I know there were multiple tasks you had to get through to go from room to room. Each room often had different levels (as in, floors) that you had to progress through to get to the next room. I know there were a lot more obstacles than the directional walkways, but I can't recall those either. I know you could fall from things to the bottom floor, but I don't know if you'd die if you do?

Year: Early to mid 90s?
Perspective: 2D
Art Style: Egyptian themed
Environment: I think you were inside a pyramid?
Mood: Somewhat fast paced, Egyptian themes everywhere
Genre: I'm not very smart on these things, but maybe puzzle based?
Gameplay: Move through the different obstacles

Game #3:
* Background: I played this on a PC, definitely in the late 90s. It came out after King's Quest VII, of that I'm almost positive. It was had very similar graphics to KQVII - in that cartoon-y kind of way. The main character (I think) was this green alien looking dude who had a pet with him. He had a bag that could carry items you picked up along the way. It had a very similar style to KQVII in that adventure-task based kind of way.
The game starts with the green guy at his farm. He gets some kind of task (I don't remember this) and has to leave the farm. So he heads out with his trusty pet and they go up this hill, through woods, maybe past a bog?, and then down into a valley with a cave-house.
Other things I recall about game play are a space-vacuum that you could get stuck in, there was definitely an evil (female?) person as the antagonist, I remember some kind of orchestra you had to direct as one of the tasks, and a lot of very colorful images as well.

* Year: Late 90s, early 00s?
* Perspective: I don't really understand this part, but I think it was 3rd person - you were the green dude, but you could see him and move him around from above.
* Art style: Very similar to KQVII - cartoon like
* Environment:You're in a colorful world with lots of green trees. Maybe a volcano scene?
* Mood: Adventure
* Genre: Adventure
* Gameplay: There was a solo protagonist for the most part, but I think every now and then you could be the pet.

Hopefully I didn't confuse any part of this game with KQVII. It's quite possible I did.
Last edited by maeleaf on Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:43 am UTC

Huh. A significant number of people seem to be joining this forum explicitly to post in this thread.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:00 pm UTC

maeleaf wrote:The main character (I think) was this green alien looking dude who had a pet with him.
The Feeble Files?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:18 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Huh. A significant number of people seem to be joining this forum explicitly to post in this thread.
You know, I'm completely okay with one-post wonders hanging out here. Remembering the name of a game you played a few times in 1993 and can only remember a couple of details is *hard*. It's way easier to ask someone else, and there aren't all that many places on the Interbutts (of which I'm aware at least) like WhatTheHellGameDidIPlayAsAKid.com or GoddamnItDoesAnyoneRememberTheNameOfThisFuckingThing.net.

So yeah, I'm fine with it. It's way way better than the people who have their one and only post in the gamertag thread. Because boy oh boy, do I want to game with some random person who doesn't participate in the forum as opposed to the regular random assholes in online gaming! It'll be a way better experience that way!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

maeleaf

Postby maeleaf » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:36 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:
maeleaf wrote:The main character (I think) was this green alien looking dude who had a pet with him.
The Feeble Files?

Unfortunately not. I looked it up and it looks like a similar adventure type game as what I'm thinking. The game I'm thinking of looks newer than the Feeble Files. The graphics seemed to come straight out of King's Quest VII - but were even newer than that. The green guy didn't look like the standard alien - but I'm having trouble remembering what he did look like.

Thanks for the attempt though!

In reply to the other post, it's amazing how much nostalgia one can feel in connection to a computer game. Unfortunately, I think I've exhausted all searches for these games. I know I'm not crazy, my mom remembers them too... any and all help is greatly appreciated, thanks for letting me be part of this forum!

maeleaf

Postby maeleaf » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:54 am UTC

Game #3:
* .[/quote]

I remembered this one!! I was completely wrong about the green guy. It was called Torin's Passage. http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/torins-passage

I was also a little off on how nice the graphics were... amazing how your perspective of things changes!

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:04 am UTC

'Game Perspective' Information:

• Top Down
    Spoiler:
    Examples include: Micro Machines, Grand Theft Auto 1, Re:Loaded, Smash TV, Gauntlet
  • Isometric (Raised view with a fixed 45 degree angle looking down)
    Spoiler:
    Examples include: Desert Strike, Farmville, Gangsters, Toejam & Earl, early Command & Conquer games, Commandos, Sim City, UFO
  • Side-Scrolling
    Spoiler:
    Examples include: R-Type, Metal Slug, Thunder Force, Braid, Menace, Lemmings, Kolibri (arguably the best hummingbird-based shooter on the 32X)
  • 2D-Platform
    Spoiler:
    Examples include: Prince of Persia, Flashback ("2D Isometric Platformers") Trine, Crash Bandicoot ("Pseudo-3D Platformers"), Super Mario Bros., Sonic the Hedgehog, Alfred Chicken, New Zealand Story, Castlevania
  • 3D-Platform
    Spoiler:
    Examples include: Tomb Raider, Gex: Enter the Gecko, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Galaxy, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • 1st-Person Perspective ("through the eyes of the character")
    Spoiler:
    Examples include: Goldeneye, Call of Duty, Medal of Hono(u)r, Doom, Half-Life, Elder Scrolls, Quake, Myst, Mechwarrior, Flight Simulator
  • 3rd-Person Perspective (camera generally behind and above the playable character. "back of the head view")
    Spoiler:
    Examples include: Fade to Black, Mass Effect, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Tomb Raider, Rainbow 6, Super Monkey Ball

Most games encompass at least two of these perspectives. For instance, Prince of Persia could be a third-person, side-scrolling, isometric, 2D-platformer. All top-down perspectives are, by default, 3rd-person perspectives, with the exception of Pest Control!, which is a 1st-person perspective top-down shooter

maeleaf

Postby maeleaf » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:49 am UTC

Thanks, Felstaff! That helped a lot.

I guess my sleuthing skills have gotten exceedingly better. I want you all to know that I spent a good week and a half straight looking for these games after work before I finally posted in this forum.

With that said... I figured out Game #2. It was the "Challenge of the Ancient Empires" - a HIGHLY addictive game with mythical creatures, moving walkways, and very annoying music. I never would have guessed it would be in the "educational" family of games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challenge_ ... nt_Empires!

I will be playing this all night (on Okinawa time).

M

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:07 am UTC

Your Game #1 could be one of a number of wormy-snakey puzzle games. Is it a Qix-type game, where the aim of the game is to build a wall from one point to another, and then you 'claim' the empty area, with the intention of capturing x% of the total area? (there are baddies around, and the idea is to trap them within walls you've created, leaving more empty space to claim. Like Jezzball.) A good Flash game version of this style of game is Pacxon
(Interestingly, there's a sweet-ass adult game called 'Silk' where you guide a worm across the screen, and each piece of area you claim reveals more of the background picture - which is a nudey lady! Complete with boobies!! I spent hours of my teenage life on that.)

If it is similar to that style of game, then there's about 500 different permutations of this genre, but at least that gets us a little closer to the version you played.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:14 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:Interestingly, there's a sweet-ass adult game called 'Silk' where you guide a worm across the screen, and each piece of area you claim reveals more of the background picture - which is a nudey lady! Complete with boobies!! I spent hours of my teenage life on that.
There are a bunch of arcade games like that, too. The various Gal's Panic games. Softcore anime-style titilation, but pretty much the only games I've seen that take the Qix mechanics and try to develop them further.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:22 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:a nudey lady!

Top Down or Isometric?
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:24 am UTC

Some of them even had a Third Person.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:53 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:Huh. A significant number of people seem to be joining this forum explicitly to post in this thread.
You know, I'm completely okay with one-post wonders hanging out here. Remembering the name of a game you played a few times in 1993 and can only remember a couple of details is *hard*. It's way easier to ask someone else, and there aren't all that many places on the Interbutts (of which I'm aware at least) like WhatTheHellGameDidIPlayAsAKid.com or GoddamnItDoesAnyoneRememberTheNameOfThisFuckingThing.net.

Yeah, I wasn't thinking of chasing them away, as much as I was curious how they found the thread. I'm having a hard time imagining an obvious google query that would lead here.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

maeleaf

Postby maeleaf » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:29 pm UTC

Haha Well, I would definitely remember if a naked lady started appearing across my screen, so I can guarantee that never happened!

The game wasn't how much space you can capture, although I know I've played games like that as well. I feel like the goal of the game was either to get out of the maze or

Looking at the perspectives, I'd say 2D... I think I always imagined it as a sideways picture but now that I think about it, it could have been top down. I'm not sure that part really mattered.

Really the main things I can remember are the worms that looked like this(ish) - >OOOOO
they were various pastel colors, and there were walls of the same/similar pastel colors. I really feel like I could build the walls because I remember sitting there just messing around with the worms trying to get them stuck in places and whatnot. I feel like there were traps that you could spring too? I'm almost positive they made noises as they moved, they definitely did not move quickly, and the movement was block-y - I don't think they could even move diagonal.

Man, my memory is shoddy right now. After finding the last two games, I realized just how off the picture I had in my head was from reality...

Off to dreamland of spiders and flying creatures from Challenge of the Ancient Empires, which I most certainly played for the last 5 hours...

~M

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:48 pm UTC

Sounds a little like Centipede, or a port of it. I remember an MS-DOS port that used OOOO for the centipede...

Wait, pastel colours, top down, maze? It's ZZT. There was green forest you could walk through to make a path, and OOOO centipedes (probably inspired by the arcade game) that would follow you there. They could be set to a pretty chill speed. Traps that shot you and pushed you around. Lion, and tigers, and bears. And one of the best level editors ever.

Thanks to that level editor, there was an active community still making games until very recently. If it is ZZT and you want to check it out again, look at some of the recommended games there or on this list (neither of which contains Cat of ZZT, my sprawling actually-reached-the-board-limit epic, and for good reason.)
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

maeleaf

Postby maeleaf » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:42 pm UTC

JayDee wrote:Wait, pastel colours, top down, maze? It's ZZT. There was green forest you could walk through to make a path, and OOOO centipedes (probably inspired by the arcade game) that would follow you there. They could be set to a pretty chill speed. Traps that shot you and pushed you around. Lion, and tigers, and bears. And one of the best level editors ever.

Thanks to that level editor, there was an active community still making games until very recently. If it is ZZT and you want to check it out again, look at some of the recommended games there or on this list (neither of which contains Cat of ZZT, my sprawling actually-reached-the-board-limit epic, and for good reason.)

That's it!! I could kiss you!

Memories... flooding back...

Thanks!

Mae

Dontar

Postby Dontar » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:43 pm UTC

i remember some more, the song videos were slideshow pictures depicting parts, like the "I knew an old lady who swallowed a fly" had different pictures depicting the different things swallowed, also the songs were "sing-a-long"

and the storybook about the giant was about a selfish giant trying to keep kids out of his yard/garden..

ive tried using good images to maybe get a screeny of scenes from the game but all I can find for the singalong games are barney and disney singalong stuff, and for the giant, just book covers, no interactive novels..

I remember that the cd I had stopped working after a while (scratches)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:13 pm UTC

Mixed Up Mother Goose is the only thing I can think of that would kinda fit, but.. I dunno. Doesn't quite sound right to me.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

maeleaf

Postby maeleaf » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:35 pm UTC

Okay... I'm back. That wasn't it exactly. It's the same idea, but I know the graphics were a bit bigger, and I don't think they were solely text based.

I started looking around for similar games and the one it appears to be closer to, as far as graphics are concerned, is Atari Adventure. Except I don't recall the dragon, and I remember there being a lot of different rooms/mazes and, like ZZT, you could create your own rooms. I do remember the goal was to get the chalice or the key.

There might have been a different creature blocking the final goal, but the primary "adversaries" were slow moving worms. When/if you got caught, they'd eat you with this slow munching noise...

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:41 am UTC

Aye, I know ZZT, and I didn't think that quite sounded like ZZT.

Kroz was a slightly more primitive antecedent to ZZT; Megazeux was its more technically-accomplished successor. Neither of those sounds quite right either.

There are plenty of sites devoted to "text-mode gaming"; maybe you should have a look.

belissaith

Postby belissaith » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:41 am UTC

I'm one of those awful people joining the forums just to post a request in this thread - for what it's worth, I do read the comic, though. And I'm not going to sleep tonight unless I can work out what this game is - it jumped into my brain and won't get the hell out. Any insight that can be provided would be amazing (and in the meantime I can try to help with other requests)...

* Background: A friend of mine owned it when we were kids - I'd visit her and bug her to play this particular PC game with me. It was definitely a CD-ROM game. It popped into my head tonight for no apparent reason, and while I've found someone else looking for the same thing using my Googlefu, I've had no luck in getting an actual name.
* Year: Mid-to-late 90's (in Australia, but I don't THINK it was an Australian game - may affect release dates though)
* Perspective: Side scrolling
* Art style: A comic-y sprite-based style, for the most part.
* Environment: The lead character was an idiot superhero, with a snarky female sidekick. I don't remember a lot of the background but environments included a test lab, some sort of arena, a manor house (?), a mine...
* Mood: Brightly coloured but with a quirky sense of humor
* Genre: Edutainment/science adventure game
* Gameplay: The game was entirely driven by solving puzzles. I've got some fairly specific memories here - one involved changing the conditions in a terrarium to create a monster to fight in some sort of arena, another involved adjusting the angles of mirrors in a mine (to defuse/light some kind of bomb???), one involved collecting samples of fabric fibers in order to...do...something.

Return to “Gaming”