Games you can't remember the title of.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

brookeashley

Re: Games you can't remember the title of.

Postby brookeashley » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:00 am UTC

I am wondering about a few pc computer games I used to play in the 90's. I remember very little about them, but I really want to know what they were.

For the first game, all I remember was as a player/main character in the game, I got into a taxi cab and the driver turned around and said something about not paying or something and then he shot me and I think the screen went red. I also think the taxi driver's skin was green. He looked kind of weird, like some green alien guy and got really pissed when I got into the taxi and said "damn" I dont know why I remember this.

The second game was also a computer game. It took place in some kind of army base of some sort where I played as the main character. I remember in the main area of this building there was food you could go eat and the food just looked like pills or circles. There was also a bedroom with a bed that you could go sleep in. There were "missions" and one was to Moscow where you went and fought.

The next game I was wondering about looks a lot like the game Doom when I google pictures for doom, but I'm not 100 percent sure that was it. It had the same viewpoint where all I could see was my gun as if I were the character. I remember walking into different scary dungeon like rooms and killing zombie like creatures. Thats all I remember for that one.

Sorry for lack of info, any help at all would be awesome, thanks

reZero

Postby reZero » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:05 am UTC

When I realized this fora had a board devoted to this I just had to ask. This game is sitting in my brain driving me nuts- I need to know its name!

* Background: PC game my parents got for me, maybe Windows 95'? I forgot why I remembered it, maybe something I read recently.

* Year: Early to mid 90's I think

* Perspective: Third person, 2D, esentially as side-scroller in the point-and-click sense.

* Art style: Animated. As in, cartoons. With, if I'm remembering correctly, various elements of pre-generated 3d art.

* Environment: In the game, you're this little green monster with a (single?) horn, who's this big fan of this one movie-star monster. As it turns out, the star and a bunch of other celebrity monsters were invited to the local castle by their old class-mate (or something) who is this crazed scientist. The scientist actually invited them because he was holding old grudges against them and turned the whole lot into a variety of house-hold appliances, such as a vacuum or a garbage disposal. You, the protagonist, hear about this over the radio or television and run off to the castle to save your favorite actor and the other guests, with the aid of the castle's resident ghost (a very nice female ghost with a very touching backstory, who you never see as anything but floating jewels), collect plot coupons as you make your way up to the labratory tower to free the guests!

* Mood: Spooky but some-what up-beat?
* Genre: Single-player, puzzle-based, edutainment/adventure game, lots of spelling and grammer, etc. if I remember correctly.
* Gameplay: I can't honestly remember specific gamelpla elements.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:36 am UTC

zommok wrote:Well this my 1st post and this game i have been searching for ages and no luck. Here is what i know, i apologise if it is limited:

* Background: I remember playing it at my house when i was a kid. Not sure i think around 1998/9/2000 It was on windows pc. It was an awesome game i liked playing, i never got bored of it. Besides being fun, i used always lose so kept on trying and trying.
* Year: The year was for sure past 1994, it was around 1996-2001, around that time.
* Perspective: Not too sure, i am sure that is was 3d view, i think was 1st person persective.
* Art style: Defintaltely not sprites, it think cell-shaded graphics.
* Environment: It looked like a battefield.Most likely the future. They were robots, scary looking not sure if were aliens also. Don't remember any bosses. No clue on protangist. Don't know. Don't remember any dialogue. Not sure, could have been guns or lasers. Yes, but most likely wa because of my lack of skill. The enemy robots.
* Mood: It seemed dark the game, especially when u c the art of work of the robots cus i think my cd was a demo and showed the full game screen with the artwork of the robot.
* Genre: Shooter
* Gameplay: I think was aim and shoot, there were enemys and shoot. Don't remember much on it.

Besides these 2 things i know 2 more facts:

1) The cd came with was redish and had this symbol on it: http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... 2-JP-C.jpg ignore the bombs it was more like a gear.

2) I remember 2 levels: one was a wasteland which i was there a lot and the other was some kind of room with black and white tile floor.

That's all and thanks if anyone helps. :D

Chaos Control? Gameplay at 6 minutes.

(why do I know this game??)

zommok

Postby zommok » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:22 am UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:
zommok wrote:Well this my 1st post and this game i have been searching for ages and no luck. Here is what i know, i apologise if it is limited:

* Background: I remember playing it at my house when i was a kid. Not sure i think around 1998/9/2000 It was on windows pc. It was an awesome game i liked playing, i never got bored of it. Besides being fun, i used always lose so kept on trying and trying.
* Year: The year was for sure past 1994, it was around 1996-2001, around that time.
* Perspective: Not too sure, i am sure that is was 3d view, i think was 1st person persective.
* Art style: Defintaltely not sprites, it think cell-shaded graphics.
* Environment: It looked like a battefield.Most likely the future. They were robots, scary looking not sure if were aliens also. Don't remember any bosses. No clue on protangist. Don't know. Don't remember any dialogue. Not sure, could have been guns or lasers. Yes, but most likely wa because of my lack of skill. The enemy robots.
* Mood: It seemed dark the game, especially when u c the art of work of the robots cus i think my cd was a demo and showed the full game screen with the artwork of the robot.
* Genre: Shooter
* Gameplay: I think was aim and shoot, there were enemys and shoot. Don't remember much on it.

Besides these 2 things i know 2 more facts:

1) The cd came with was redish and had this symbol on it: http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070716200424/yugioh/images/thumb/2/23/RingofDestructionSK2-JP-C.jpg/246px-RingofDestructionSK2-JP-C.jpg ignore the bombs it was more like a gear.

2) I remember 2 levels: one was a wasteland which i was there a lot and the other was some kind of room with black and white tile floor.

That's all and thanks if anyone helps. :D

Gameplay at 6 minutes.

(why do I know this game??)

Nope, this unit is flying. The unit from the game was not flying. Thanks anyway.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:50 pm UTC

brookeashley wrote:The next game I was wondering about looks a lot like the game Doom when I google pictures for doom, but I'm not 100 percent sure that was it. It had the same viewpoint where all I could see was my gun as if I were the character. I remember walking into different scary dungeon like rooms and killing zombie like creatures. Thats all I remember for that one.
Maybe Hexen or Heretic?

Cecilff2

Postby Cecilff2 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:41 pm UTC

brookeashley wrote:The next game I was wondering about looks a lot like the game Doom when I google pictures for doom, but I'm not 100 percent sure that was it. It had the same viewpoint where all I could see was my gun as if I were the character. I remember walking into different scary dungeon like rooms and killing zombie like creatures. Thats all I remember for that one.

I'd look into Blood or Blood II(The sequel looks quite a bit more recent than doom probably not it).

microampms3

Postby microampms3 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:57 pm UTC

* Background : You play a character who is a wizard possibly or atleast wears blue wizard like robes (could be wrong) but early in the game your objective is to get some clothes in some kind of special locked chamber on the 2nd floor of a house ( think you go through the window to get in) and you are on a coastal town near sea. You get a buggy later on to ride about in the desert.
Year: late 90's play round about 2000 anyway
* Perspective: 3rd person 3d fixed camera
* Art style: Cartoon or like more rounded people
* Environment: 3d models i think but 2d backgrounds maybe
* Mood: dark and gloom since it starts to rain
* Genre: action / RPG?
* Gameplay: action you could die anyway and need to collect items ?

There is a cutscene which i remember that has some people in a boat crossing over water boat is weird looking.
I think it's a unpopular game can't for the hell of me remember much else

sorry for bad format and description and sentence structure.

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:56 am UTC

microampms3 wrote:* Background : You play a character who is a wizard possibly or atleast wears blue wizard like robes (could be wrong) but early in the game your objective is to get some clothes in some kind of special locked chamber on the 2nd floor of a house ( think you go through the window to get in) and you are on a coastal town near sea. You get a buggy later on to ride about in the desert.
Year: late 90's play round about 2000 anyway
* Perspective: 3rd person 3d fixed camera
* Art style: Cartoon or like more rounded people
* Environment: 3d models i think but 2d backgrounds maybe
* Mood: dark and gloom since it starts to rain
* Genre: action / RPG?
* Gameplay: action you could die anyway and need to collect items ?

There is a cutscene which i remember that has some people in a boat crossing over water boat is weird looking.
I think it's a unpopular game can't for the hell of me remember much else

sorry for bad format and description and sentence structure.

Little Big Adventure 2: Twinsen's Odyssey, one of the greatest games of all time.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

microampms3

Postby microampms3 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:13 pm UTC

I love you haha just woken up my village with shouts of joy! i love you ... so much!

<3 <3 <3
This has been bugging me for like 6 years!

somedaypilot

Postby somedaypilot » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:54 pm UTC

So I don't have much to go on, just some memories from ten years ago that have faded. I was in fourth and fifth grade at a private school, and we had educational games. All I can remember about it was installed next to things like Where In Time is Carmen Sandiego, Grossology, and Yukon trail, and it seemed to have have much more challenging puzzles than the other games. It seemed to be on a higher level than fifth grade as kids who could solve any of the puzzles were regarded highly, and I don't think anyone ever actually beat the game. We were not unintelligent kids. It seemed like a it was science based, or at least themed, because I remember a mad scientist laboratory and I think one of the puzzles had something to do with the human brain, but I'm starting to really pull at straws here. Any ideas?
101010001110111011100010111010100010111000000010101000111010111010001011101000101000101110111010001110001010111000101110100010111

New User

Postby New User » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:05 pm UTC

somedaypilot wrote:So I don't have much to go on, just some memories from ten years ago that have faded. I was in fourth and fifth grade at a private school, and we had educational games. All I can remember about it was installed next to things like Where In Time is Carmen Sandiego, Grossology, and Yukon trail, and it seemed to have have much more challenging puzzles than the other games. It seemed to be on a higher level than fifth grade as kids who could solve any of the puzzles were regarded highly, and I don't think anyone ever actually beat the game. We were not unintelligent kids. It seemed like a it was science based, or at least themed, because I remember a mad scientist laboratory and I think one of the puzzles had something to do with the human brain, but I'm starting to really pull at straws here. Any ideas?

How about The Castle Of Dr. Brain and its sequel The Island Of Dr. Brain? Apparently there are more sequels, too.

rigwarl

Postby rigwarl » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:23 pm UTC

@somedaypilot

I can vaguely remember this game myself, but maybe Gizmos and Gadgets?

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:59 am UTC

I haven't thought about this in years. There was a game that I think is for the PC and it's some sort of RPG-ish thing. All I can really remember is early in the game you see a big floating hologram of an old guy's head that says "I need a new battery!"

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:45 am UTC

* Background: Where did you play it? When? What system was it on? Why do you remember it? What sticks out at you about it?
* Year: When did you play it? You don't need to be specific, but the closer you can get, the better. While it'd be great if you could say that you know it came out in 1995, simply saying Mid 90s will work (If you remember). When in doubt, choose a wider scope (Say, Early to Mid-90s for a game that you think was new in '94)
* Perspective: 3D? 2D? 2.5D? Isometric? Tile-based? First Person? Third Person? ... Second Person!?
* Art style: Cell shaded? Sprite-based? Foggy? Live Action? Particular special effects you remember? Any movie sequences you remember?
* Environment: What sort of places were you in? Times? What specific types of monsters did you fight? Bosses? Who was the protagonist? Any NPCs you remember? Dialog? Weapons? Remember dying a lot? What killed you?
* Mood: Was the game Dark or was it Hopeful? Was there an overwhelming sense of crushing despair, or was it a bright and happy candy land?
* Genre: Multiplayer? Shooter? Action? Adventure? RPG? Arcade? Puzzle-based? Strategy? RTS? Text adventure?
* Gameplay: Action? Turn-based? Did you have stats/levels? Remember any puzzles? What buttons did you press to control the protagonist? Was there a party of characters or a solo protagonist? Were you able to create a character and choose skills at the beginning, or were your skills pre-chosen (if any)? In short, How Did You Play The Game? What actions did you take?

Is this so hard to fill out?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:38 am UTC

No it's not hard, I just couldn't remember most of that right away.
It was late 90s when I saw it. First person I think. Solo protagonist. Don't think there was any protagonist backstory. Seemed more like a puzzle based sort of thing. At the beginning there was a sort of portal you had to go through. I'll try and remember more as soon as I can dig it up.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:46 am UTC

Sockmonkey wrote:No it's not hard, I just couldn't remember most of that right away.
It was late 90s when I saw it. First person I think. Solo protagonist. Don't think there was any protagonist backstory. Seemed more like a puzzle based sort of thing. At the beginning there was a sort of portal you had to go through. I'll try and remember more as soon as I can dig it up.

Journeyman project?

somedaypilot

Postby somedaypilot » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:22 pm UTC

New User wrote:How about The Castle Of Dr. Brain and its sequel The Island Of Dr. Brain? Apparently there are more sequels, too.

Right series. The Lost Mind of Dr. Brain. Thank you, sir.
101010001110111011100010111010100010111000000010101000111010111010001011101000101000101110111010001110001010111000101110100010111

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:25 am UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:
Sockmonkey wrote:No it's not hard, I just couldn't remember most of that right away.

Journeyman project?

Yes! I love you, you magnificent bastard! That's been bugging me for ages.

Tiok

Postby Tiok » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:29 am UTC

* Background: Played this game on the school computers in elementary school (probably some type of early Apple)
* Year: Late 80's, early 90's
* Perspective: Tile-based.
* Art style: The "map" reminded me a lot of Dig Dug.
* Environment: Side-view of a mine. Single-screen.
* Mood: Edutainment
* Genre: Edutainment
* Gameplay: You were a miner who would buy gear at a store, including flashlight batteries, and then go digging to look for minerals. When you found something, you'd have to perform tests on it to identify the mineral: hardness, break tests, color, etc. You had a big book that you could look things up in to check your results against. Once you'd identified it, you could take it back to the store and sell it to buy more flashlight batteries. Only real way to lose was to run out of batteries while you were underground. Don't remember there being any real win condition, since it was just a teaching game for geology and rock-hounding. Mineral finds were different sizes. Found a Huge diamond once... and then ran out of batteries before I got back to the surface. >.<

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:38 am UTC

not sure about your game, but that concept has been done in a bunch of knockoffs. I'm playing Gem Miner: Dig Deeper on my phone right now.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Cecilff2

Postby Cecilff2 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:19 pm UTC

Yeah I remember that one, but not its name unfortunately. It's an early apple game, from the Apple IIe I think. Mainly because I think I remember number munchers and Odell lake being on it.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:32 pm UTC

Murphy's Minerals, arguably the finest mineral-recognition based game on the Apple IIe.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Tiok

Postby Tiok » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:54 pm UTC

That's the beast! Murphy's Minerals... I was always finishing my school work as fast as possible just so that I could go play on the computers. Like this one better than Oregon Trail.

Jar'O'Jam

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:55 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:Murphy's Minerals, arguably the finest mineral-recognition based game on the Apple IIe.

Never thought minerals were tested for cleavage.
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

phoebus16

Postby phoebus16 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:36 am UTC

Hi, I am searching for a game for sometime now:
* Background: About a year ago I saw the game on a site, then there was only the trailer which was about a man that went in a house and started talking with other npc(extremely real dialogs as the were written on the fly) and then the player put fire on the house, also he did break a jar of fish before. Then he got out of the house the the trees etc started talking explaining that everything is possible because there are other players behind the gameplay that manipulate the environment and story (story tellers/makers)
* Year: About a year ago there was the trailer.
* Perspective: Like pokemon on gameboy but you only see a square tile of the world untill you go out of it.(like zelda in gb)
* Art style: Low resolution textures, color, everything manipulated from other hidden players on the fly (while one plays)
* Environment: depending on what the story maker players want
* Genre: Role playing, story making, drawing
* Gameplay: Online. There is the adventurer player and the story makers, the adventurer moves talks etc like pokemon on gameboy but the whole world, dialogs, textures and everything are being manipulated by the story makers (people with tools that manipulate textures) live!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:42 am UTC

Sounds like Sleep is Death
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

phoebus16

Postby phoebus16 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:02 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Sounds like Sleep is Death

That it is!!! Thank you very much!!!!! :D

ps:@mods, sorry for the double post before :(

trust

Postby trust » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:47 am UTC

<b>Never mind. I found it by searching to old game magazine archives. :D its called Outwars.</b>

Woho.. This Thread I was looking for my whole life :D

Background: It was a 3d PC game. The story was: Aliens attacked and now you are one of the jetpack-soldates that killed aliens to stop them. I played the demo of it. There even was an articel in some of the (german) pc-game magazines at that time.
You would have a team of maybe 3 other jetpack-soldates in a level... (maybe not in all levels) and I think you also could give them some basic commands.

Year: Awww... around 1992-1998...

Perspective: 3d, Third Person, maybe also First Person

Art style:
Environment: Well, sand... like in a desert, with big platforms and a bottemles ground where you would fall to the death

Mood: All levels I played where bright

Genre: Shooter

Gameplay: walking and flying around to kill aliens (Flying and walking aliens) and get some basic mission targets done... e.g. like destroying some sort of buildings... The Jetpacks did have a limmited air-time, but refilled automaticly. The recharge took a bit longer then you would need to stay in the air so you hat to land from time to time or would lose height and go down.

The graphics was 3d but I think was still based on direct draw and not d3d or opengl. No texture filters. More like the first MDK game.

One think I also remember from the game magazin: The end boss actuall was just a small alien that you would kill with one shoot and without a fight. O_o
Last edited by trust on Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Moose Hole

Postby Moose Hole » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:43 pm UTC

Moose Hole wrote:I used to play a game on my Commodore 64. It had a bunch of different style games, like disc tron and some shooting and mazes. I think it was in Russia and possibly some sort of spy game.
I found it! "Raid Over Moscow"

Cecilff2

Postby Cecilff2 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:57 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:Murphy's Minerals, arguably the finest mineral-recognition based game on the Apple IIe.

Nice, thanks Felstaff.

impactblue

Postby impactblue » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:31 am UTC

Hey guys, wondering if you can help me figure out this game!

Its a PC game from the late 90s or early 2000s, double dragon style beat em up. The main characters are two robots/microchips with blue and red boxing gloves. One does punching combos the other does kick combos. As you kill other enemy robots you collect orbs and can level up and develop better combos.

The overall mood of the game is dark and high tech sci fi. I remember in the character select screen there were 4 slots but i only ever could pick one of the first two characters.

Thanks!

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:10 am UTC

It's vastly unlikely that it could be anything but Electronic Popple - except that game only featured two microchips, and they both punched (though one of them was fast and the other one was powerful).

Great fun, though. There's a full CD version out there, but the incomplete CD-rip is pretty common.

impactblue

Postby impactblue » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:53 am UTC

OH MY GOD THANK YOU SO MUCH YOU ROCK MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

impactblue

Postby impactblue » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:06 am UTC

Jorpho do u know where I can buy a full version of the game??

Jorpho

Re: Games you can't remember the title o'.

Postby Jorpho » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:04 pm UTC

By some accounts it was an extremely rare game even when it was released. If you insist on having a legal copy, my only suggestion is to watch eBay.

I suppose there might be some possibility that the original Korean version could be more easily obtained, but I have no idea what the game would be called in Korean.

impactblue

Postby impactblue » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:48 pm UTC

Thanks amte I found a working copy of it. Man do you remember how you save the old man in the cage? And how do you get into the secret area??

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:36 pm UTC

It's been a few years, but as I recall there's an invisible platform next to the old man's cage. As for the secret area (by which I assume you meen the mountain), the entrance is close to the start of the Multimedia era - off to the right and then back down some stairs to the left, I think.

impactblue

Postby impactblue » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:18 pm UTC

Thanks mate. Do u remember where you get the keys to his cage?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:21 am UTC

Nope, no idea there. It must have been somewhere halfway obvious.

llamanaru

Postby llamanaru » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:49 am UTC

* Background : You're on a boat, trying to kill the other people on the boat.
Year: 2000-2005 I think
* Perspective: First person maybe, I've never played it
* Art style: fairly realistic, I think I remember Titanic-y looking things
* Environment: It's on a boat
* Mood: gloomy I think.
* Genre: steath
* Gameplay: Murder in the dark on a boat

Sorry I don't have much info, all I really remember from reviews is the gameplay aspect.

Return to “Gaming”