Online D&D questions

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

daydalus

Online D&D questions

Postby daydalus » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:09 pm UTC

Havn't played D&D in years but recently felt the urge for some RPG that video games can't match.

Does anyone have any experience with online campaigns through the WoTC site? I want something faster paced than play-by-email/post/forum.

What the best software available to run and DM games? Anything that has dice-rollers, chat boxes, markable maps, etc?

Also, anyone has a recommendation for a good community?

Thanks.

Zyphlin

Re: Online D&D questions

Postby Zyphlin » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:13 pm UTC

I'll pimp what I do...

NWN1 or NWN2, playing on a persistant world.

Basically, imagine a localized, small scale, MMO type world...however, with actual focused roleplaying and a D&D ruleset. This gives you Persistant Worlds.

If this is what you're looking for, at the moment I'd recommend NWN1 over NWN2, as its a bit more active of a community though this may change in another year or two. I might suggest Narfell if you're a fan of the Forgotten Realms at all.

On average, depending on play time, there's usually between 10 to 40 players online, with a number of DM's. Plenty of things to do around the world as players, and DM's run events and plots as well.

This is a great choice if you don't have a lot of people already planned out to play with online, OR if you have a character concept you want to RP and want the change to interact with a number of different players.

As far as for more traditional games, ran over a net setting...

I'm not sure if WebRPG or OpenRPG still exist, but you can check into that. They were chat interfaces that included dice rollers and a bit of mapping to allowing for online gaming, which, when combined with Vent weren't *Too* bad for that kind of medium. Also, 4th edition is apparently hoping to make a very advanced version of this a key component to its books, though that's a ways off.

Best of luck :)
[Insert Catchphrase Here]

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:18 pm UTC

Zyphlin wrote:I might suggest Narfell if you're a fan of the Forgotten Realms at all.

Warning: This PW will devour your soul entirely and leave you a twisted wreck of a man.

If you manage to escape at all.

Which is not to say it isn't a hell of a lot of fun.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Zyphlin

Postby Zyphlin » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:19 pm UTC

I'm dragging you back in for a night at the very least if i make DM, I fully want you to understand that fact.

Also...

Could use you to bring a druid into ... :cough:

daydalus

Postby daydalus » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:21 pm UTC

Thanks for the info. I've played NWN to death and checked out some of the persistent worlds. I'm actually looking for something thats less of an MMO (also played WOW, EQ to death). I'm more interested in playing with a small core of people with a focus on story and roleplaying.

As good as the NWN tools are, I still think they're a bit lacking for what I'm looking for. I might check out NWN2.

Zyphlin

Postby Zyphlin » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:24 pm UTC

If you're looking to create your own thing with NWN, unless you're an artist or a major programmer I wouldn't suggest the NWN2 toolset over NWN1's. The best way to describe it is photoshop as compared to MS Paint.

What persistant worlds did you check out? Its really hit and miss. There's a few that may as well be WOW or EQ with a D&D Ruleset, filled with flaming weapons, 25th level characters, non-stop grinding, and little story. There's also a number of NWN1 PW's that are very roleplaying intensive, focused much more on story, roleplaying, and character interaction over who can have the hottest lewt and the most l33t character.

If you'd be looking for uber hardcore in this regards, NWN2 offers a world called HAZE (ported over from NWN1) that is just...well...a bit insane, but VERY focused on person to person RP. Though, 5th level being "HIGH" level to me just...isn't quite my cup of tea. I like low power but...um...yeah.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:29 pm UTC

Zyphlin wrote:I'm dragging you back in for a night at the very least if i make DM, I fully want you to understand that fact.

Also...

Could use you to bring a druid into ... :cough:

::sigh::

Yeah, okay. You know where to find me.

If I get addicted again, though, I swear to Shar I'll set you on fire.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Zyphlin

Postby Zyphlin » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:32 pm UTC

LOL. Don't worry, if it seems like you start playing and are on farrrr to much then I'll (if i'm a DM) or someone I can ask can always just ban you for a bit and say "bitch, calm down, and go to work".

More precisely...if I go home for my lunch break from work, and find you on and find that you skipped work, then we'll boot your ass off. I have a feeling though that with full knowledge of the addictive nature, along with the fact that you've had a good bit of time away, you'll be able to do as I've finally been able to do now and play it as you know...an actual leisure activity...and not uncontrollable nevercrack.

....besides, they could use some good druids. Star is one of the main leaders of the camp, and fiendish goblins have taken over the whole eastern section of the woods. More importantly...freaking amazing new call lightening

Return to “Gaming”