best space RTS

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

thisisdavid

best space RTS

Postby thisisdavid » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:23 am UTC

I want to find a good solid space RTS that has good multiplayer, I tried homeworld 2 a few years ago but I couldn't stand it for some reason, probably because the unit designs were uninspired and uncustomizable, plus it took forever to get anywhere. That being my only experience with this genre, what should I look at that is newer and with a good, competitive multiplayer community?
Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. That is to say, it can be done, but the frog tends to die in the process.
-E.B. White

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: best space RTS

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:38 am UTC

Homeworld 1. Though I have no idea how active the multiplayer community is.

As for units being uncustomizable/customizable... like.. what? Empire Earth's take on it? Warcraft III Hero units?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Teh Russians

Postby Teh Russians » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:43 am UTC

Starcraft. Can't wait for the second one to come out.
Confucius wrote:Sit by the river long enough, and the bodies of your enemies will float by.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:48 am UTC

You want customizable units? What do you mean by customizable? If you mean you can level them up with tech trees via a building, I suggest Stacraft, although that's not new at all. If you need something new, I've heard good things about Sins of a Solar Empire.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:50 am UTC

Teh Russians wrote:Starcraft. Can't wait for the second one to come out.

Starcraft is not a space RTS. It's a sci-fi RTS.

These are space RTS games.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:37 am UTC

It's in space. I thought that qualified it but, whatever. I'm not too good on terminology.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

thisisdavid

Postby thisisdavid » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:43 am UTC

by customizable i mean keeping capital ships throughout campaigns and upgrading their armor and weaponry and such. I don't know how many games actually incorporate this, but it seems rather bland to have a bunch of capital ships running around that are identical to eachother
Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. That is to say, it can be done, but the frog tends to die in the process.
-E.B. White

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:03 am UTC

I don't know of any that do that, nor am I even sure anyone would do that, at least in making unique Capital Ships. Doesn't make much sense, in that you'd want a soldier trained to operate a Leviathan Class Destroyer to be able to, should his get trashed, be able to jump on any other Leviathan and know how it works, and not have to worry that his own took the Ion Phase Cannon upgrade while the new one is sporting a Fighter Bay instead....

Now, I know the Homeworld series had upgradable modules to the mothership and large capital ships, and at least in the first one as you went through the game your fleet stayed with you... which ended up meaning that a couple of ships lost here and there at the very beginning actually had a lasting effect on the game, as you have to burn finite resources to replace them....

The rest of the games on the page I posted I'm not quite familiar with. Could be worth a look there.

CrackTheSky

Postby CrackTheSky » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:25 pm UTC

Homeworld: Cataclysm had a system that leveled up your ships as they killed more enemies. Their physical appearance didn't change but they performed better in combat situations. I never played Homeworld 2 because it looked like it sucked. Don't judge the series based on what is generally considered the crappiest of all the games - the prequels are much more immersive and just plain fun.

Also, I don't know anything about it, but you might want to look into Nexus: The Jupiter Incident, which I hear is in the same vein (i.e. a space RTS).

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:23 pm UTC

you can probably pick up conquest: Frontiers wars online for like $1.99 at this point and it's never gotten any critical acclaim from anyone but it's well balanced and totally hilarious. The single player campaign is very long and bordering on impossible difficulty but there are cheats and the story does more than keep you interested. Like I said, it's hilariously over the top yet serious. They have this news channel that plays in between the missions that's just pure awesome.

Complaints were that it was too much like starcraft and certainly not the prettiest game of it's generation but the game had a fair amount of polish and works great in skirmish mode. Notable awesomeness is the newscast plotline and general type units that have kick ass lines:
"Hell is ICY and invites you all!" (add over the top thick Russian accent)

http://www.amazon.com/UBI-Soft-610359-C ... 553&sr=8-2

Also there's star trek Armada and Armada 2... Armada was a better game (especially the single player) but very unpolished. Armada 2 had plenty of polish but much of the character was gone.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:59 pm UTC

Sins was already mentioned, but it's worth mentioning again.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Dark Shikari

Postby Dark Shikari » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:29 pm UTC

Homeworld 1, period.

Manial

Postby Manial » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:16 pm UTC

Homeworld 1 is one of the few RTS games that I've both played and liked. So I'll give it another point.

Cloudchaser

Postby Cloudchaser » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:00 pm UTC

And consdiering the soundtrack of Homeworld also featured the band Yes. . . another good point.

I ought to re-install it and give it another whirl. The single player campaign was great.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:35 pm UTC

I always liked Star Trek: Armada.

(There was a sequel to that? Want.)

Axman

Postby Axman » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:39 pm UTC

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:53 pm UTC

Homeworld people: I have a problem. I'm running it under Windows XP and it like, skips. Like, if I move my mouse cursor in a circular motion, every seven or eight seconds it'll stop moving for like half a second. It's annoying as hell. I googled a little and somebody said to run it under Windows NT compatibility mode but that didn't help me. Any ideas?

And what's so bad about Homeworld II? I might play that instead of I can't figure out how to get the first one to stop skipping.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:57 pm UTC

I'll also recommend Sins. So far I haven't had the chance to play too many people (I've rarely seen more than 3-4 public games, but I might be looking at off-times), but it seems like we might get an xkcd league going.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:13 pm UTC

semicolon wrote:Homeworld people: I have a problem. I'm running it under Windows XP and it like, skips. Like, if I move my mouse cursor in a circular motion, every seven or eight seconds it'll stop moving for like half a second. It's annoying as hell. I googled a little and somebody said to run it under Windows NT compatibility mode but that didn't help me. Any ideas?

And what's so bad about Homeworld II? I might play that instead of I can't figure out how to get the first one to stop skipping.

Well.. what are you using for your video acceleration? Might want to play with those settings.. change it to software based if it's currently hardware, and vice versa.

But it sounds like it's checking the CD every couple of seconds, and that's slowing the whole system down...

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:51 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:But it sounds like it's checking the CD every couple of seconds, and that's slowing the whole system down...

The disc image is on my hard drive, so that's not the issue. I'll try the hardware/software thing though.
Vaniver wrote:I'll also recommend Sins. So far I haven't had the chance to play too many people (I've rarely seen more than 3-4 public games, but I might be looking at off-times), but it seems like we might get an xkcd league going.

Sins is so fucking awesome, I played it for like four hours last night. It's the reason I only got one hour of sleep.

EDIT: Ok, really weird thing -- I have Homeworld alt-tabbed right now and I'm typing the post, and it's doing the same skipping thing that it does in the game. It never does this when I don't have it running. Any ideas?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:08 pm UTC

...yeah, I may need to get that image from you. Fun story.. my homeworld CD got a scratch in it, but I managed to image it. The image worked when I made it.. like, two or three years ago.

It no longer seems to work.

I am sad that I never bothered to burn it to a new CD as well.

Anyway, enough my crappy story. What's your video settings.. software or hardware rendering? That'd be the first place to start. Then patch it, and get it up to date if you haven't already.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:12 am UTC

mosc wrote:you can probably pick up conquest: Frontiers wars online for like $1.99 at this point and it's never gotten any critical acclaim from anyone but it's well balanced and totally hilarious. The single player campaign is very long and bordering on impossible difficulty but there are cheats and the story does more than keep you interested. Like I said, it's hilariously over the top yet serious. They have this news channel that plays in between the missions that's just pure awesome.

C:FW Is indeed ridiculously awesome, I don't know why it didn't receive more attention, it had pretty deep gameplay for an rts (Units have to be re-refueled and rearmed, multiple 'system maps' are connected by wormholes to expand each level and add a new level of strategy in needing to find and secure them etc) and the single player cut scenes remind me of a mix between Command and Conquer and Starship Troopers for over-the-top cheesy goodness.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:33 am UTC

semicolon wrote:And what's so bad about Homeworld II? I might play that instead of I can't figure out how to get the first one to stop skipping.

Horribly boring and bland story and way too easy.
Homeworld = Beautiful, epic and awesome.
Homeworld 2= Really beautiful, not even close to epic and kinda fun to play in skirmish or multiplayer.
Homeworld: Catalcysm= One of the greatest stand-alones ever created. Unbeatable atmosphere and voice acting. Play. It.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

thisisdavid

Postby thisisdavid » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:45 am UTC

How long did it take yall to get the hang of sins? I'm playing it right now and kinda blundering about, but still having some *very* slow paced fun. Seriously, after battle for middle earth 2 it's like the world is moving in slow motion.
-E.B. White

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:50 pm UTC

It probably took me an hour or two to catch on. I think I'm pretty decent at it now, though... at least, I know what's going on. I didn't bother with the tutorials, but if you're having trouble you should probably go do them.

Sins question: how the hell do you get to other solar systems? I can't figure it out. I'm on a map with five stars right now and I have the first one totally controlled and I have no idea how to get to the other four.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:56 pm UTC

semicolon wrote:It probably took me an hour or two to catch on. I think I'm pretty decent at it now, though... at least, I know what's going on. I didn't bother with the tutorials, but if you're having trouble you should probably go do them.

Sins question: how the hell do you get to other solar systems? I can't figure it out. I'm on a map with five stars right now and I have the first one totally controlled and I have no idea how to get to the other four.

There's a civilian technology called 'long range jumps' (or something like that) that allows ships to jump directly between stars.

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:53 am UTC

Just played it again for three and a half hours. This game is so addictive. Homeworld's probably gonna wreck me when I get it running well.

Return to “Gaming”