You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Random832

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Postby Random832 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:01 pm UTC

I managed to fix it. Instructions on the wiki for anyone else having the same problem.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:35 pm UTC

I upped GCS occurrence, and my current map (for the next five or six seconds until I let myself realize how much I hate it) has no less than eight of them, according to Companion.

Wow.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

bert5412

Postby bert5412 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:05 pm UTC

I've been playing this game way to much!
the other day my dad and I were taking down an old soccer goal, and my dad asked me
"what should we do with these aluminum bars?" I was about to say forge them into weapons. lol

also i have a river of blood right now because i killed someone and his head fell into the river.
I think, therefore I'm awesome.

FACM

Postby FACM » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:16 pm UTC

After 6 in-game years and 26,000 socks totaling over 5 million in wealth, i decided to flood my sock factory. Flaring tempers and a convenient goblin attack have dyed my socks red with blood.

I kept a backup copy, but there's little interesting going on in the fort beyond a warehouse full of socks and blocks. Maybe for the next factory I'll pick something harder to make.

Kag

Postby Kag » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:47 am UTC

FACM wrote:I kept a backup copy, but there's little interesting going on in the fort beyond a warehouse full of socks and blocks. Maybe for the next factory I'll pick something harder to make.

Soap is fun.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Coin

Postby Coin » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:50 pm UTC

I'm still busy with figuring out the dwarven economy with a sideorder of indoor waterfalls =)
So far I've managed to flood three carefully prepared water areas and produce 10 times the recommended amound of money.
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:44 pm UTC

Coin wrote:I'm still busy with figuring out the dwarven economy with a sideorder of indoor waterfalls =)
So far I've managed to flood three carefully prepared water areas and produce 10 times the recommended amound of money.

10*0? That's not much of a feat.

Coin

Postby Coin » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:43 pm UTC

Yuri2356 wrote:
Coin wrote:I'm still busy with figuring out the dwarven economy with a sideorder of indoor waterfalls =)

10*0? That's not much of a feat.

10* the amount of money recommended to me by my dwarven financial advisor. It wouldn't be any fun to follow the advice of the wiki-site all the time now, would it?
I want to see for myself what kind off effect cash has on dwarvenkind.

As for the waterfalls I'm just about ready to start the real deal in my Great Dining Hall. Wish me luck :D
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:55 am UTC

Luck. Waterfalls really aren't hard once you get the hang on them. You can start doing crazy designs then.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

FACM

Postby FACM » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:53 am UTC

Making the money isnt the hard part. Watching dwarves manage it isnt hard either. What's hard is later reclaiming this First Bank of Urist-town. 24 dwarves spending all their time picking up 3 copper coins at a time and putting it somewhere to declutter the map ends up with 24 dwarves starving to death over pennies.

Sure, you could just remove all the coin stockholds and not make more, but dwarven tradition demands order. Especially over pennies. Can't let the kobolds steal our treasurehord a penny at a time.

Phen

Postby Phen » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:04 pm UTC

My legendary miner/mayor died in my new fort by our first ambush by several bowgoblins. :( Because they were too stupid to flip the levers I told them to and instead went outside to get to the depot.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:56 pm UTC

FACM wrote:Making the money isnt the hard part. Watching dwarves manage it isnt hard either. What's hard is later reclaiming this First Bank of Urist-town. 24 dwarves spending all their time picking up 3 copper coins at a time and putting it somewhere to declutter the map ends up with 24 dwarves starving to death over pennies.

Sure, you could just remove all the coin stockholds and not make more, but dwarven tradition demands order. Especially over pennies. Can't let the kobolds steal our treasurehord a penny at a time.

Someday Toady will create the "Dwarven Piggy Bank" and "Dwarven Wallet" object which allow coins to be easily stacked and contained. That will be a fun day of rejoicing and happiness.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:14 pm UTC

Indeed. That's really the reason I never mint coins... I tried a time or two, and even in proper use they became such a headache...

And as near as I can tell, the Dwarven Economy works fine without them. People rent rooms and buy things.... using credit, I suppose.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:19 pm UTC

Okita wrote:
FACM wrote:Making the money isnt the hard part. Watching dwarves manage it isnt hard either. What's hard is later reclaiming this First Bank of Urist-town. 24 dwarves spending all their time picking up 3 copper coins at a time and putting it somewhere to declutter the map ends up with 24 dwarves starving to death over pennies.

Someday Toady will create the "Dwarven Piggy Bank" and "Dwarven Wallet" object which allow coins to be easily stacked and contained. That will be a fun day of rejoicing and happiness.

Or give dwarves the ability to fuse stacks of items up to a certain size. It would also make recovering spent ammo a valid use of time.

korora

Postby korora » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:45 pm UTC

Stack fusing will probably not happen any time soon. Apparently there are a bunch of hidden variables like mint year, creator, and level of wear that practically ensure that no items that aren't stacked are the same. Toady says he hasn't decded how to resolve that issue yet. A more likely solution is allowng dwarves to carry multiple items in sensible ways.
Last.fm|Steam|Xbox LIVE|23||
[8:22pm] cf: you know what i like?
[8:23pm] Tigerlion: what do you like, CF?
[8:23pm] cf: you guys
[8:24pm] cf: man...out of all the things that could have come to my head...that was by far the lamest

Random832

Postby Random832 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:54 pm UTC

korora wrote:Stack fusing will probably not happen any time soon. Apparently there are a bunch of hidden variables like mint year, creator, and level of wear that practically ensure that no items that aren't stacked are the same. Toady says he hasn't decded how to resolve that issue yet. A more likely solution is allowng dwarves to carry multiple items in sensible ways.

Solution: Don't care about creator for non-masterworks (and coins have no quality modifier), average wear if it's close, and mint all your coins in the same year.

Or have a "stack" as a higher-level construct (not only dwarves carrying multiples but also storing as one thing in stockpiles, etc) than it apparently is currently.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:52 pm UTC

Random832 wrote:
korora wrote:Stack fusing will probably not happen any time soon. Apparently there are a bunch of hidden variables like mint year, creator, and level of wear that practically ensure that no items that aren't stacked are the same. Toady says he hasn't decded how to resolve that issue yet. A more likely solution is allowng dwarves to carry multiple items in sensible ways.

Solution: Don't care about creator for non-masterworks (and coins have no quality modifier), average wear if it's close, and mint all your coins in the same year.

Or have a "stack" as a higher-level construct (not only dwarves carrying multiples but also storing as one thing in stockpiles, etc) than it apparently is currently.

Yeah, a sort of intangible container that winks into existence when a dwarf needs to move or store objects. Like barrels of bags of things.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:59 pm UTC

Exactly how do all the traps work?

I understand that stone/ cage traps work by just being activated by a passing enemy (or insane dwarf), but what about weapon traps? Do they have a range and do they need to be lever/push plate operated? Does the range change based upon putting say... crossbows inside? Spike/spear traps have to be pushplate/ lever operated though. In that case, how big do you need to make the spike field so that the monster doesn't activate a pushplate and then walk past the spike field before it activates?
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:47 pm UTC

Okita wrote:Exactly how do all the traps work?

I understand that stone/ cage traps work by just being activated by a passing enemy (or insane dwarf), but what about weapon traps? Do they have a range and do they need to be lever/push plate operated? Does the range change based upon putting say... crossbows inside? Spike/spear traps have to be pushplate/ lever operated though. In that case, how big do you need to make the spike field so that the monster doesn't activate a pushplate and then walk past the spike field before it activates?

Weapon traps just attack anyone who steps on their square once with each of the weapons mounted inside them. They can sometimes get jammed, requiring a dwarf to run up and clean them before they can trigger again, but most of the time they'll just reset and shank the next thing to step on them. Even crossbos will just apply their damage to the same square, the differences being that they'll require ammo (and thus occasional reloads from dwarves) and an all-bow trap won't jam.

The Uprite Spike traps need to be operated by mechanisms (Levers, plates, and such) which will toggle them between being up and down. If something stands on them when they raise, it gets skewered.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:10 pm UTC

Amusing thing I almost did in DF:

I was setting the skills for my dwarves when I realized that I should name them. Noticing I had a Mechanic/Masons + Woodcutter/Carpenter and other similar construction-ish things (well, I mean, they are dwarves after all) I realized that I obviously should nickname them after the Mythbusters. Changed the dwarf fortress name to Mythbusters (Lathonstal) and was in the process of changing the names when I realized that I had neglected to figure out gender. Thus, Adam was a girl.

Alas, reworking the names and the professions to fit the genders was too much work. I'll leave that til next time.

Phen

Postby Phen » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:24 pm UTC

That sounds pretty fun... And yeah, also tedious to edit them all. I'm currently smacking a roman numeral after all immigrating dorfs names, so I know how long they've been in the fort. The Expedition leader fell pretty quick, sadly, to bowgoblins from my very first ambush. My hunter-turned-elite bowdwarf was smacked in sparring so he's been lying in his bed from the very start.

Now I've finally got magma-power and a ballista set up, and I get no sieges. So I pass the time trying to figure if I should use the river for anything and building a ziggurat of obsidian.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

annals

Postby annals » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:55 am UTC

Phen wrote:So I pass the time trying to figure if I should...

In Dwarf Fortress, the answer is always Yes.

Phen

Postby Phen » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:17 am UTC

It's too much work. :D My dining room is already legendary. I'd rather build something BIG. And maybe find a use for all my lava... Like, an obsidian-maker. Combining water, lava and something big! I have a shitload of it, though.
Also, I just discovered the system for setting notes on things. That makes levers SO much safer!

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:59 pm UTC

But... but levers and safety are supposed to be mutually exclusive.

-X

Phen

Postby Phen » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:05 pm UTC

Pssh. You know what I mean. On an unrelated note, oh god is there a difference when I get back to my stationary computer and see the dorfs running around again, instead of taking sloooooow steps on the laptop.

Omgomgomg I just got my first megabeast. A dragon, standing there right next to the first siege for this fortress, as well. Shit, they can fly over walls, can't they? I gotta remember to make a roof!

... And it promtly slaughtered to goblins. That's no fun.

It died to a single ballista shot. That's both kinda awesome and disappointing.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:43 pm UTC

Dragons don't fly yet. And they're quite fireproofed either...

Dropzone

Postby Dropzone » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:12 am UTC

A Dwarf Fortress tale, apropos of nothing in particular:

I recently made a new fort just for the purpose of testing a certain game feature to see exactly how it worked. Once I was done, I decided that just abandoning the fortress would be boring, so I rigged up a screw pump and windmill to deliberately flood the place. This worked excellently, and before long I had exterminated the entire population. Just for the hell of it, I then decided to make my way there as an adventurer and see what kind of state the fort had ended up in.

On my arrival, I discovered (somewhat to my surprise) that the windmill was still functioning perfectly - and the cascade of pressurised water I was hit by upon opening the front door suggested that the screw pump was too. Clearly, dwarven1 engineering needs next to no maintenance to keep working. I wanted to get inside that fortress, though, which meant that I needed to stop the flow of water into it - and the only way I could see of doing that was to remove the pump's power source by destroying the windmill. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, DF gives an adventurer no way to attack a building (as opposed to a creature).

I did remember, however, that DF allows adventurers to set light to trees. This gave me an idea, and although I didn't expect it to work, I decided to try it anyway. I ignited a tree located near the windmill, retreated to a safe distance, and watched. Slowly, the fire spread... and spread... and burned down the windmill. With the screw pump now disabled, it became practical to drain the fortress, which I accomplished (after some struggling against the water) by propping the front door open with a nearby chunk of quarried stone.

As it turned out, there was little of value left in the fortress itself; most of what I ended up looting was food and clothing picked up from the surrounding landscape. The miners' picks and woodcutters' axes were an exception, found among the heap of decomposing corpses in the living quarters (where the dwarves had tried in vain to find refuge from the advancing waters). Suitably weighed down with giant toad leather socks and dog meat, I made my way back to the town I had come from. I managed to acquire a fine suit of plate mail in exchange for the items, which I donned atop my existing chain mail, and to find three stout warriors willing to accompany me on a quest.

The mayor of the town we were in didn't have any work for us, and as we journeyed across the land, we kept seeing the same story. It seemed that this particular kingdom was somewhat lacking in terrible beasts in need of slaying. Eventually, however, we managed to find a town being threatened by a murderous cyclops2. Sadly, even our combined prowess was not enough to conquer this foe, and we were all struck down by the abhorrent creature. I marvelled at how what was supposed to be a quick test had ended up taking up most of the day.

1. Firefox suggests "parvenu" as a replacement for that. WTF?
2. No, Firefox, I don't want to capitalise that...

Thendash

Postby Thendash » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:55 am UTC

I think it's shift-n or something like that.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:15 am UTC

Yeah.. Shift+n then you can set a multitude of different icons with different colors and different background colors, so you're free to come up with your own method of remembering at a glance. Each note can have (I think) 255 characters. Maybe it's 254. Point being, it's enough to shorthand things like "Connects to three floodgates on NW section of map, Z-level 5, by River" or whatever.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

RetSpline

Postby RetSpline » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

While mining out my dining hall yesterday, I ran into the magma pool that I had forgotten was even on the map. In the interest of dwarven safety (har har), I sacrificed my circular room plan, and just excavated around the pool. It seems to be at least 4 z-levels deep, and quite wide, which gives me a lot of magma to play with. Originially, I was going to just leave my dining hall as a sqaushed circle, but today I decided I'm going to drain out the lava and build my nobles's rooms and the dining hall inside of the obsidian cavern.

Now I only have to worry about the imps and magma men.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:35 pm UTC

I'm gonna have to install this game on my little laptop and play it again, aren't I.

Why does this keep happening?
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:26 pm UTC

Because losing is fun.

Edit: so I just found that there's a Magma Pipe right next to my fort. It's actually pretty convenient although I just made a water moat so I'm going to have to figure out a way to convert it to magma. But anyway the issue is that the magma source and the water source are really close to each other which makes planning out things difficult. On the bright side, I should be able to make some quick and easy Obsidian.

I'm going to have to make a magma cistern in order to make a magma death trap. It's practically required by law or something.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:13 pm UTC

I've been staying inside my room for the past few days, rarely venturing out of the building. Also since the lighting in my room is not that great, I just close the blinds and use artificial lighting.

Why do I mention this? Because as a sign of my playing too much Dwarf Fortress, today I suddenly started thinking that I might develop cave adaptation and so I really should go outside more often.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:44 am UTC

If you start to feel queasy, sit in some shade or go inside. Don't just puke right by the door, because then everyone will track that shit in and get it everywhere.

Thadlerian

Postby Thadlerian » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:49 pm UTC

Buckets: What to do with them? More than one of my crazy nobles keep demanding buckets. No problem making them, but they keep crowding my stockpiles. Anyone know of anything crazy and dwarfish I can do with 60-70 buckets? Except making lots and lots of wells?

EDIT: I already have lots of wells, by the way. Redirecting my internal waterways to accomodate various rooms keeps leaving one after the other dry.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:19 pm UTC

If you also have manpower to spare, make a swimming pool. Or just a giant underground pool. Use the (i) designate thing to make a Pit/Pond, and switch it to Pond mode. If nothing else, the buckets will be used during that process.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:19 pm UTC

Forget waterways. Real Dwarves fill their wells by hand.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:39 pm UTC

I'm sort of holding out for alternatives to wooden beds, like hammocks. (Cloth + Rope + adjacent wall(s))

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:49 pm UTC

I'm sad my triple e pc isn't good enough for DF.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:03 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:If you also have manpower to spare, make a swimming pool. Or just a giant underground pool. Use the (i) designate thing to make a Pit/Pond, and switch it to Pond mode. If nothing else, the buckets will be used during that process.

Or better yet, designate the Pond on some magma and start making obsidian the hard way.

Return to “Gaming”