You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

oneofthedragon
Modfather

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Postby oneofthedragon » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:51 am UTC

You just have to use q to get to the cage building menu, then a to assign. I think.
sje46: tell them to shove plungers into their anuses
sje46: make clear that that was only for OOTD

Kells: OOTD, I am giving you my death stare
Kells: Just so you know

Christmas: OOTD I will burn your village and make slaves of your children

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:53 am UTC

I'm certain I tried that but couldn't see the assign command on the cage.
It does seem the most logical way to do it, since that's also how chains work.
nightlina wrote:We get stick insects here.. they're pretty cool and stick-like.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:28 pm UTC

What you basically want is a dog animal farm. Get x number of male and female dogs on restraints. Since they don't age or anything, they basically serve as A.) detection systems for thieves/baby snatchers and B.) puppy making machines. Then just cage any puppies that are born until you're ready to butcher them.

...someday someone's going to look back on this post and take it out of context and find that we're all disgusting people. Or worse yet, take it in context but still find us to be disgusting gross people.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:35 pm UTC

The whole food thing can be solved by making sure there is a layer of soil etc when you set out. No nasty irrigation systems to flood the fortress. Then cats and dogs can just be used for skins and bones, or just for some variety for your dwarves.

Personally, I fear the day when scurvy is implemented. My guys live on mushrooms, wine and meat.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:38 pm UTC

Rakysh wrote:The whole food thing can be solved by making sure there is a layer of soil etc when you set out. No nasty irrigation systems to flood the fortress. Then cats and dogs can just be used for skins and bones, or just for some variety for your dwarves.

Personally, I fear the day when scurvy is implemented. My guys live on mushrooms, wine and meat.

Presumably the animals you're butchering have livers.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:07 pm UTC

heh. I did not know the liver had vitamin C in it. You learn something new...

Umm... Calcium deficiency?

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:09 pm UTC

I'm sure we can get a natural layer of soil... in a space ship.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:55 pm UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:Livers lack vitamin C. They do have plenty of vitamins A and E, which are fat-soluble.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_C#Animal_sources

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:06 pm UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:What happens to iron when it melts?
What happens to molten iron when it cools?
Does molten iron flow through grates?
If submerged for a length of time, iron and steel are the only metals that remain. Everything else melts.

I do not think it's usable once it's melted, but I may be mistaken.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:10 pm UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:[...]
There would be door access to the bottom of the tube along another axis. The idea is to use water to push the goblins and their equipment down the tube and into the pit, where, at the appropriate time, it floods with magma for a short period, burning all the non-metal items, and then the magma drains away, leaving the metal items to be easily collected.

I have a few questions for further plans:

What happens to iron when it melts?
What happens to molten iron when it cools?
Does molten iron flow through grates?

Iron will not melt at the temperatures Magma reaches. I'd be worried about several things:
  1. Equipment being pushed through the grate into the dump (flowing water can push things through grates under some circumstances)
  2. Not enough time for magma to burn everything away (I'd put a hatch cover below the grate, and close it to hold the magma in - this also lets you use only two tiles of magma, which brings us to...)
  3. Obsidian forming in your water/magma dump

My recommendation would be to have the water continuously cycle from the 'dump' back to the trap (you're not necessarily going to get enough pushing force from a single burst of water), do the hatch cover thing as mentioned above, and - there's probably something clever you can do to get the magma to drain to somewhere else - best idea would be to send it to an area below the water with a retracting bridge or hatch covers over it, so you can open it to turn it into obsidian you can harvest... in fact, (working on diagram...)

Code: Select all

######## wWWWWW_%% #
########w###### %%_#
########+######_%% # pump tower
_______D.XMMM## %%_#
###### X+#MMM##_%% #
###### # ###### %%_#
######.X===_____####
######_____# magma dump
=== : retracting bridge

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:18 am UTC

I've been thinking of the thing that might be implemented that would worse mess up my playing style. I think it would probably be defecation, but if anyone else has a different idea...

annals

Postby annals » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:59 am UTC

I believe Toady has said that defecation will never be added, though personally I think it would be a great idea, at least in the case of herbivoric animals where it can be used as fertilizer. My dread is the tunnelers/sappers that have been promised. I know it's more realistic, and yes, sieges without them are pretty lame, but I don't want them messing up my pretty map with a bunch of random tunnels, damn it! I also am not looking forward to magic being added, though I couldn't tell you for sure why.

korora

Postby korora » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:08 am UTC

I think what he actually said is that he'll put feces in as soon as someone can think of a way to make it fun to deal with.

The solution for the sappers issue is probably to allow either hiding or refilling (or both) of their tunnels.
Last.fm|Steam|Xbox LIVE|23||
[8:22pm] cf: you know what i like?
[8:23pm] Tigerlion: what do you like, CF?
[8:23pm] cf: you guys
[8:24pm] cf: man...out of all the things that could have come to my head...that was by far the lamest

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:57 am UTC

I would actually enjoy having to line all my tunnels with stone walls- it would be interesting. As long as that would be all you had to do to defeat sappers.

My main issue with faeces is Dwarfs slightly lackadaisical attitude to cleaning. It's bad enough imagining the entrance to my mighty fortress smeared in vomitous blood and bloody vomit- with crap everywhere, it would be too much.

Having to install toilets might lead to some ridiculously epic tales of goblins sneaking in on a pile of crap though.

If magma ever gets pressurised, there would be problems.

Magic would really depend on implementation. If I could have it as well as Goblins, that would be really cool. A Dwarf Runemaster on the top of a massive tower casting down lightening bolts onto the enemy...

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:44 am UTC

Magma needs to be semi-pressurized, at least. Not so it flows up z-levels (because if it did that it would be worthless, you couldn't use it to power forges except on the top level of the pipe/pool), but so it at least flows properly to fill cavities.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:32 pm UTC

I kind of like that Dwarf Fortress has next to no magic (unless you count undead and demons), which is yet another thing that sets it apart from oh-so-many fantasy games. Besides, it's my view that if your plot in a story or your game mechanics rely on magic, you aren't trying hard enough.

I just got into Dwarf Fortress, though, and I love that game. I also like that it keeps updating, especially with the realism they keep adding to it.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:51 pm UTC

Xaddak wrote:Magma needs to be semi-pressurized, at least. Not so it flows up z-levels (because if it did that it would be worthless, you couldn't use it to power forges except on the top level of the pipe/pool), but so it at least flows properly to fill cavities.

It does. It just takes it a while to do so. And as it cools down to nothing, if you try to make it fill too large of an area at once, it fails.

That said, I find it works better on filling large areas if you have it drop in to the area rather than flow straight out.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

korora

Postby korora » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:52 am UTC

Xaddak wrote:Magma needs to be semi-pressurized, at least. Not so it flows up z-levels (because if it did that it would be worthless, you couldn't use it to power forges except on the top level of the pipe/pool), but so it at least flows properly to fill cavities.
I think this is at least the third time I've mentioned it in this thread, but pumping magma is awesome... it gets around all the issues with slow flow. It does pressurize, but will only flow up to the z-level of the pumps. As long as you're careful, it's totally safe, and will save you a lot of time filling up your magma channels. It should solve your issues as well.
Last.fm|Steam|Xbox LIVE|23||
[8:22pm] cf: you know what i like?
[8:23pm] Tigerlion: what do you like, CF?
[8:23pm] cf: you guys
[8:24pm] cf: man...out of all the things that could have come to my head...that was by far the lamest

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:32 am UTC

no need to wait for magic:

WIZARDS!!!!

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:03 am UTC

The most adventurous thing I've ever done with magma is a one deep moat and then a channel coming out from under that for magma smelting. Oh, and I did try and build a steam trap, but steam has been rendered harmless. :(

I have a question- how good are catapults? I've got one, but have never used it, and am not sure whether or not to waste another hauler as an operator.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:17 am UTC

Rakysh wrote:The most adventurous thing I've ever done with magma is a one deep moat and then a channel coming out from under that for magma smelting. Oh, and I did try and build a steam trap, but steam has been rendered harmless. :(

I have a question- how good are catapults? I've got one, but have never used it, and am not sure whether or not to waste another hauler as an operator.

You should rotate dwarfs in and out of hauling - training your haulers in any skill will give them attribute increases and they will haul faster.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:09 am UTC

My best fortress ever is in the most dangerous spot that I've settled. Weird.

oneofthedragon
Modfather

Postby oneofthedragon » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:39 pm UTC

Don't use catapults for defense. Ballistas are the way to go. Use catapults for training.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:50 pm UTC

Rakysh wrote:I have a question- how good are catapults? I've got one, but have never used it, and am not sure whether or not to waste another hauler as an operator.

With a legendary operator, they usually hit every single time with a decent targeting arc. A Catapult will splatter whatever the hell it hits - at least as far as goblins and the like go.. not sure about Megabeasts.

A ballista will splatter whatever it hits... and keep going. If you can funnel creatures into a narrow passageway (say, one 3 wide) and have ballista set to fire in straight lines down the shaft, you can obliterate invasion forces in three shots.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:57 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Rakysh wrote:I have a question- how good are catapults? I've got one, but have never used it, and am not sure whether or not to waste another hauler as an operator.

With a legendary operator, they usually hit every single time with a decent targeting arc. A Catapult will splatter whatever the hell it hits - at least as far as goblins and the like go.. not sure about Megabeasts.

A ballista will splatter whatever it hits... and keep going. If you can funnel creatures into a narrow passageway (say, one 3 wide) and have ballista set to fire in straight lines down the shaft, you can obliterate invasion forces in three shots.

The downside is friendly fire.

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:21 am UTC

I <3 ballistas.

And I hate magic. Seriously. I don't know what it is... I used to play AD&D games on PC, and the Wizardry series. They were great. Nowadays magic is just a royal pain in the ass.

Wizards used to be cool. I don't know what happened.
nightlina wrote:We get stick insects here.. they're pretty cool and stick-like.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:51 am UTC

InstinctSage wrote:I <3 ballistas.

And I hate magic. Seriously. I don't know what it is... I used to play AD&D games on PC, and the Wizardry series. They were great. Nowadays magic is just a royal pain in the ass.

Wizards used to be cool. I don't know what happened.

Probably for the same reason as me; because it has become the ultimate crutch for storylines and game mechanics. Want something done, and don't want to spend much time to think of a logical way to do it? Let's say magic did it!

I've been reading the heck out of th edwarf fortress wiki, btw, and ballista sound awesome. Just don't have anything behind the target that you are attatched to. It will be destroyed by the ballista's bolt.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

In stores now.

Phen

Postby Phen » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:54 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

You know if the operator's skill have any effect on how accurate the ballista is? My glorious plan was once ruining by finding that the arrow veered into the wall pretty quickly.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

oneofthedragon
Modfather

Postby oneofthedragon » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:52 am UTC

Generally they fly pretty straight, if you have any kind of training.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:10 am UTC

Phen wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:

You know if the operator's skill have any effect on how accurate the ballista is? My glorious plan was once ruining by finding that the arrow veered into the wall pretty quickly.

Probably - there's also quality effects with the parts, i think.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:00 pm UTC

Well, I'm finally playing. I tried to a few months ago, and couldn't figure out how to get my dwarves to do anything. After reading enough, I started again on Sunday, and subsequently killed all my dwarves by winter. I couldn't figure out why my farm wasn't working (I was trying to plant underground crops aboveground), couldn't figure out why my hunted animals weren't turning into food (I didn't know I needed a butcher), and for a goodly bit of time my dwarves had to sleep outside. I also accidentally turned one of them into a soldier and never figured out how to reverse it.

At the end, I just turned on every job for everyone, so they could run off and try to survive. They all got killed by wolves, except for the one that I think was murdered by a goat.

So, I restarted on Monday, and this time I know what the hell I'm doing, and actually have a working fortress. Just got my first migrants, too!

The only real mistake I've made so far involved water, of course. Had an underground river and a chasm near each other, so I dug out a channel from one to the other so I could have running water without flooding my fortress. That worked out fine, but then I tried to extend it and just busted a tunnel into the river rather than channelling it. T_T Luckily the flow in my tunnel was very slow, so I had time to build 6 floodgates and seal off those tunnels before the water reached anything useful. I'm in the process of tunnelling underneath the flooded tunnels so I can drain them into the chasm.

I don't have a lot of z-level expansion possible, unfortunately. I embarked over an aquifer. The first underground level was sand, but luckily the second was dry rock. I don't hit water until the 3rd level. If I tunnel to the chasm, is it possible to drain the aquifer away?
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:06 pm UTC

It is not possible to drain an aquifer, but it IS possible to crack through them.

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index. ... h_aquifers

I like the cave-in method.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:41 pm UTC

speaking of chasm aquifers, Is it possible to embark at a chasm with waterdraining into the chasm from the aquifer? I want to try one of those.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:53 pm UTC

I have a couple of questions.

1. Do cliffs (particularly with a steepness of 6 ot 7) preven anybody from traveling accross them?

2. Can you build a drawbridge over a river?

The reason I ask these questions is because I found a local map where more than 1/3 of the map is an area bordered on three sides by rivers, and on one sideby cliffs that have a value of 7 (once or twice it drops to a 6). The cool part is that, upon a brief examination of the area, I found said part of the map had an "entrance" of just ten squares between the river and the cliffs that I could probably wall off. This would, needless to say, be a rather nice way of giving me some resources during a siege.

In stores now.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:18 pm UTC

SummerGlauFan wrote:1. Do cliffs (particularly with a steepness of 6 ot 7) preven anybody from traveling accross them?

If they have natural slopes on them (up and down arrows along the edges) then they can be traversed. Otherwise, only flying things will be able to pass over them.

Yes. A retractable bridge can be built entirely over the river, a drawbridge needs a raw of land under the side it raises toward.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:25 pm UTC

SummerGlauFan wrote:I have a couple of questions.

1. Do cliffs (particularly with a steepness of 6 ot 7) preven anybody from traveling accross them?

The cliff steepness map is pretty meaningless, you'll need to actually embark and see if there are slopes or not (there probably are).

Yes.....

If you are planning on incorporating a river into a siege defense system, you should be aware that goblin archers can fire across water. 8)

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:09 am UTC

Thanks all! I love this game.

And I got my sister into it, too.

In stores now.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:06 pm UTC

I was checking out some of my engravings recently and found an interesting one:
Rashgur.JPG
Rashgur.JPG (26.39 KiB) Viewed 4151 times

It should be noted that Tunonshen means Doorchants.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:17 pm UTC

I always used to get engravings of socks on one of my fortresses.
An entire wall in my dining room was filled with sock engravings.
Ⓞⓞ◯

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:24 pm UTC

To be fair, those were some awesome socks.

Return to “Gaming”