You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Jar'O'Jam

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:02 am UTC

If you are, just like me, waiting for the next more-or-less stable release, the wait will be a little bit longer - Toady has hinted that 31.23 will be released shortly:
It's going to be 0.31.23, and soonish -- but I have to create the new version on Mantis right after releasing, and I wasn't sure at the time if I was going to need a new quick fix (only 95% sure...).
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

Levi

Postby Levi » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:20 am UTC

I really ought to make a troupe save that I can use. Maybe I'll do that next time.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:29 am UTC

korora wrote:They're predetermined and kind of bad. Your miner, in particular, is not very well-trained.
Bleh. The other thing is that the benefit from making an agile person your miner seems pretty high, and if you get someone clumsy, oops!

So, just abandoned a fortress. I really don't like that Toady got rid of the "civilians stay inside" order, because that means when goblins attack it's pretty much impossible to keep people safe, unless you also want to be constantly expanding your burrows or have your fortress locked down during an attack. At first it was just peasants dying, and so I was grumpy, but then my Grand Master grower and Legendary Miner decided they needed to be outside for some crazy reason, and were promptly shot up by goblins. If they had stayed behind the traps...

Animals are interesting, now. They need food (glad that exploit is gone), but until you find the caverns food means outside, but then afterwards you can generate safe pastureland galore by just mining out dirt and letting fungus bloom.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:30 am UTC

Yep. Really needs and "alarm" object or something. Burrows are a paint without a "fill empty space" options, or better gui.
Get some guy going out to get water, or pick up a sock. I've taken to locking everyone in. :/

Grishnakh wrote:I was more amused than concerned at the thought really.

And now for something completely different.
I've built a roughly 10x10 tower at the entrance to my fortress, to be occupied by my marksdwarfs in case of an assault, but I'm struggling to get my marksdwarfs to use it. The "tower" is just a room one level above the fortress entrance, with fortifications carved in all four walls.It also contains my archery range, so that my dwarfs are close at hand. I've tried making it a burrow and set my marksdwarf squad to defend it, or ordering the squad to move to a point in the tower, but they always end up with one or two inside the tower and the rest hanging round the base of the tower or charging out into the open once the enemies are in sight.

On archery ranges, do you need to make all of the archery targets rooms and assign the squad to train on all of them, or is it sufficient to assign a room from one of them, and just make it big enough to include all the targets? Also, does the distance between the dwarf and the target affect the quality of the training?

This is my third fortress by the way, so I'm still a bit new to this. This my first fortress on v31.21.

You need to put an archery (1 for each dwarf) block down to train from. I suggest at least 5 blocks long corridor/room to fire from. Maybe longer. Then hit "q" and set the team of archers to train from it. Then hit "s" while selected to set which direction to train from. They will use it to train then. With armour/rack blocks they do drills/dodging/armour training.
PS, go to "M" for military, then "f" for ammunition. Set a wood and bone ammo slot for "T" training, and metal for "C" combat. Then you do not waste good ammo on training.
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:17 pm UTC

korora wrote:They're predetermined and kind of bad. Your miner, in particular, is not very well-trained.
DF Wiki wrote:Miner: Adequate Miner
Woodworker: Novice Carpenter, Bowyer
Woodcutter: Novice Wood Cutter, Brewer, Cook, Grower, Herbalist, Furnace Operator, Wood Burner, Lye Maker, Potash Maker
Stoneworker: Novice Engraver, Mason, Mechanic, Building Designer
Jeweler: Novice Gem Cutter, Gem Setter, Wood Crafter, Stone Crafter, and Bone Crafter
Fisherdwarf: Novice Fisherdwarf
Fish Cleaner: Novice Fish Cleaner, Butcher, Tanner, Weaver, Clothier, and Leatherworker

Actually miners gain skill very quickly, so hand him a pick, point to some sand/soil, and watch the xp pop up.
The skill selection does bloody suck; difficult jobs such as armorsmith are not maxed out when they should very much be.

Also no points in appraising :/.

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:37 pm UTC

Spoilers in case of spoilers? I didn't know about this until I found it, but it's regarding the undead, and probably common:
Spoiler:
So I've found an underground undead fortress, and I'm wondering what I can do to take it out - it's full of skeletal panda men/women, zombie slugmen, and zombie cabybara men/women. I was thinking of either digging a channel down from the river to flood the whole thing and drown them (it's connected to the cave system so this might take forever or not work at all), or carving fortifications around the perimeter and shooting them through them.

Is it possible to set a squad to kill something by shooting it through fortifications?
I don't know what to do for you

WarDaft

Postby WarDaft » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:54 pm UTC

I never actually embark with any points in mining. I just bring a few extra picks, and make sure one guy has some rarely but still needed jobs.
All Shadow priest spells that deal Fire damage now appear green.
Big freaky cereal boxes of death.

Levi

Postby Levi » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:58 am UTC

uncivlengr wrote:Spoilers in case of spoilers? I didn't know about this until I found it, but it's regarding the undead, and probably common:
Spoiler:
So I've found an underground undead fortress, and I'm wondering what I can do to take it out - it's full of skeletal panda men/women, zombie slugmen, and zombie cabybara men/women. I was thinking of either digging a channel down from the river to flood the whole thing and drown them (it's connected to the cave system so this might take forever or not work at all), or carving fortifications around the perimeter and shooting them through them.

Is it possible to set a squad to kill something by shooting it through fortifications?

I've never seen that happen. Then again, I don't
Spoiler:
explore caverns
very much. The easiest thing to do might be to attempt
Spoiler:
releasing the HFS or a siege into it. I think archers will shoot through fortifications if you have to do that.

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:52 am UTC

Spoiler:
I looked it up and it's a demonic fortress, which is indeed an entrance to hell... I think I'll leave it be. Interestingly, though, most of the nasty stuff is gone - where there was about two pages of zombies and skeletons, now there's only one.

But I'd still like to know how to attack through fortifications - I've got marksdwarves that I've successfully had attack other things, but when I specify a group of elves (which I currently have trapped in a false Depot), they just say "cannot complete orders" or something like that.

Levi

Postby Levi » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:43 am UTC

You could try just stationing them behind the fortifications.

Well this is problematic. A zombie snailman has gotten loose in my fortress and is disrupting all my orders. My soldiers won't kill it. I think it might be classified as a vermin or something :|

Or maybe I just misunderstood the combat report. It seems to be gone.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:19 pm UTC

I just started replaying after not gaming for a week (for various reasons) and consequently just had my first fun moment. A miner was taken by a strange mood and failed to make something at a mason's workshop, going berserk. Half my fortress, two cats and two dogs later, I decided to just abandon the place because we were out of food and he'd killed most of the people I would've needed to keep farming.

I have a questions though - is there any way to get a dwarf that's not in the military to attack something, or do they have to be recruited into squads first? My entire squad had training weapons and the person who ended up killing the miner was the woodcutter, because he had an axe. I could've saved much more of the fortress if I'd managed to get the woodcutter to fight the miner earlier.

Levi

Postby Levi » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:22 pm UTC

Yeah, they have to be in a squad.

Concerning my own fortress: Does anyone know what would cause dwarves to refuse to drink booze? It's mid-winter, all my dwarves are dying of thirst, and two are already dead.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:22 pm UTC

Shivahn wrote:I have a questions though - is there any way to get a dwarf that's not in the military to attack something, or do they have to be recruited into squads first? My entire squad had training weapons and the person who ended up killing the miner was the woodcutter, because he had an axe. I could've saved much more of the fortress if I'd managed to get the woodcutter to fight the miner earlier.

They rarely defend themselves when cornered.

@above: is your booze inaccessible or forbidden?

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:34 pm UTC

Levi wrote:Yeah, they have to be in a squad.

Concerning my own fortress: Does anyone know what would cause dwarves to refuse to drink booze? It's mid-winter, all my dwarves are dying of thirst, and two are already dead.

Well if it's mid-winter, and your booze is stockpiled outside for some reason, maybe it's frozen solid? :) You could check the contents of the barrel for that, and if it is, move it all inside.

NieXS
Why's the rum gone?

Postby NieXS » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:13 pm UTC

Try checking if your dwarves aren't tired of drinking the same booze all the time; it sometimes happens when you only grow plump helmets, for example.
she/her

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:25 am UTC

Also check that you haven't accidentally forbidden the booze or locked the door to the wine cellar or something like that.

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:41 am UTC

Also (v)iew the (w)ounds screen for each dwarf - if you see 'x's beside 'right hand' and 'left hand' then they won't drink alcohol anymore.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:42 am UTC

They need to get straws.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Levi

Postby Levi » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:25 am UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:@above: is your booze inaccessible or forbidden?

Nope.

Soralin wrote:Well if it's mid-winter, and your booze is stockpiled outside for some reason, maybe it's frozen solid? :) You could check the contents of the barrel for that, and if it is, move it all inside.

I'm fairly certain it's inside, since that's where all my food stockpiles are and where all the booze machines are, but I'll check next time I boot up the game.

NieXS wrote:Try checking if your dwarves aren't tired of drinking the same booze all the time; it sometimes happens when you only grow plump helmets, for example.

So much that they'd rather die than drink it?

uncivlengr wrote:Also (v)iew the (w)ounds screen for each dwarf - if you see 'x's beside 'right hand' and 'left hand' then they won't drink alcohol anymore.

It's literally every dwarf. I'm also getting assloads of "Cannot give water: no water source", which is really weird. I might have one or two wounded dwarves, but as far as I can tell everyone is mobile and not missing both hands.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:46 am UTC

Are they in a burrow that does not contain booze or a water source?

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:14 am UTC

Levi wrote:
uncivlengr wrote:Also (v)iew the (w)ounds screen for each dwarf - if you see 'x's beside 'right hand' and 'left hand' then they won't drink alcohol anymore.

It's literally every dwarf. I'm also getting assloads of "Cannot give water: no water source", which is really weird. I might have half-two or three wounded dwarves, but as far as I can tell everyone is mobile and not missing both hands.
No, I mean maybe they've all gone straightedge.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:22 am UTC

That was a rather clever joke, well done.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Levi

Postby Levi » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:37 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:Are they in a burrow that does not contain booze or a water source?

Nope. I thought it might have something to do with all the booze being in a burrow without any dwarves assigned to it, but they'll pick up rocks and stuff in burrows that aren't their own so I don't think that's the problem.

korora

Postby korora » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:57 pm UTC

Do you have a civilian alert set? If your dwarves can't path to water, it sounds like either a burrows problem or you accidentally disconnected your fort from the rest of the map.
Last.fm|Steam|Xbox LIVE|23||
[8:22pm] cf: you know what i like?
[8:23pm] Tigerlion: what do you like, CF?
[8:23pm] cf: you guys
[8:24pm] cf: man...out of all the things that could have come to my head...that was by far the lamest

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:30 pm UTC

Levi wrote:
Vaniver wrote:Are they in a burrow that does not contain booze or a water source?

Nope. I thought it might have something to do with all the booze being in a burrow without any dwarves assigned to it, but they'll pick up rocks and stuff in burrows that aren't Thor own so I don't think that's the problem.

Do this. Set up a small stockpile in the same room as the dwarves for food. Regulate it to drink only, and tell it to take from your main food pile. Verify that they take alcohol barrels from there to the new stockpile. If they don't, then you do indeed have some sort of pathing/item forbidden/locked door issue.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Levi

Postby Levi » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:52 pm UTC

korora wrote:Do you have a civilian alert set? If y'all's dwarves can't path to water, it sounds like either a burrows problem or you accidentally disconnected y'all's fort from the rest of the map.

It's winter and the map is temperate. All the water is frozen, except for some I used to irrigate my farm. I guess I ought to make a well out of that or something.
SecondTalon wrote:
Levi wrote:

Nope. I thought it might have something to do with all the booze being in a burrow without any dwarves assigned to it, but they'll pick up rocks and stuff in burrows that aren't Thor own so I don't think that's the problem.

Do this. Set up a small stockpile in the same room as the dwarves for noms. Regulate it to drink only, and tell it to take from y'all's main noms pile. Verify that they take alcohol barrels from Thor to the new stockpile. If they don't, then you do indeed have some sort of pathing/item forbidden/locked door issue.

Will do. I installed some doors recently between the dining hall and the food stockpile, but the dwarves seem to be able to get to the booze factory behind those doors to make more, even if they won't drink it, so iunno.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:03 pm UTC

If they're making it and not scarfing it down immediately, then ... that's odd. Plenty of times I've had a brewer whip up a batch of beer or whatever, then promptly stop brewing more because they're too busy drinking what they just made.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:52 am UTC

If you let the drink run out for 1 second, the Dwarfs default to water only. If the water/well is frozen, or you have no buckets they dehydrate and die.
If you make new booze, they still have a "get water" job set, and cannot be reset until they get water (at least from my experience).
So, either always have a well/lake for water, or never let the booze run out. Else your dwarfs will get stuck on needing water to survive, and not booze. But once they take a drink from the well/lake they go back to normal if you have made so more drink.

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:43 pm UTC

Moral of the story: wells are swell... great for wishes, increasing pleasant thoughts, and not dying of thirst.

What's that, wardog (tame)? Uris Thursmor has fallen down the finely crafted marble well?

Levi

Postby Levi » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:32 pm UTC

Technical Ben wrote:If you let the drink run out for 1 second, the Dwarfs default to water only. If the water/well is frozen, or you have no buckets they dehydrate and die.
If you make new booze, they still have a "get water" jorb set, and cannot be reset until they get water (at least from my experience).
So, either always have a well/lake for water, or never let the booze run out. Else y'all's dwarfs will get stuck on needing water to survive, and not booze. But once they take a drink from the well/lake they go back to normal if you have made so more drink.

That's interesting. Hopefully my miners will get around to digging it before any more dwarves die.

EclipseEnigma

Postby EclipseEnigma » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:53 pm UTC

I have a fortress set up, and my migrants keep showing up with large animals like horses and water buffalo. I have a pasture set up, but they keep getting attacked by badgers and macaques. How can I protect my animals from the invaders? Could I wall it off and block them with doors, or can they, like cats and things, just walk through?

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:16 pm UTC

In my experience, badgers will bug your animals, and your animals will jump at each other, but generally they don't actually damage each other... I ignore it. If they have lots of room to move around, they're fine, but too little space often makes them cranky. If one gets particularly hostile (donkeys, llamas, and water buffalos seem to be bad for this) and starts actually injuring others, it's butcher time.

Building a wall around the pasture is effective - If you press [q] over the door to the pasture, you can designate whether or not it's passable to dwarves and/or animals. Dwarves and hostiles won't be able to pass through them if it's forbidden, but apparently thieves will pick the locks.

The better option is to wall it off completely and build an access stairway up through the middle - your dwarves can maintain access to the pastures (for milking, shearing, butchering), and you can just set the floor hatch to be tightly closed to keep in the animals.

EclipseEnigma

Postby EclipseEnigma » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:24 pm UTC

Oh, I just noticed losts of "The Badger Boar is enraged!" reports, which worried me. I like the idea of using a staircase up to the middle, as long as I don't run out of grass in my pen. Does anyone know how much grass each animal needs so I can decide how big to make my pen?

Levi

Postby Levi » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:31 pm UTC

I'm not sure about this, but it's quite possible that just one square will be plenty for everyone.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:11 pm UTC

Levi wrote:I'm not sure about this, but it's quite possible that just one square will be plenty for everyone.

Yes. As long as you want all your animals pre butchered. :lol:

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:15 pm UTC

Yeah, they eat a lot - lately I've been designating an area something like 20x40 for my large animals, which I usually have 5-6 at a time before I start slaughtering. You'll see a lot more "kicking" each other when they start fighting over the same patch of grass.

The wiki has some info on the rates of grazing, but no indication of required areas, unless someone knows how quickly grass regenerates.

It also mentions that infant animals don't need to graze, which is good to know - if you're short on pasture area, keep the baby animals and slaughter them when they fully grow.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:48 pm UTC

Technical Ben wrote:Yes. As long as you want all your animals pre butchered. :lol:
I have not been able to get meat from starved animals, so I do not recommend this plan.

I've gone with cavern areas that are about 3x20 for most of my animals, and I believe a 4x20 section was not enough to keep a water buffalo alive. I suspect grass grows more quickly than fungus, but you have to deal with the problems of cave adaption and predators unless you wall off your pasture (whereas carving out soil once you've discovered a cavern is quick).

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:10 am UTC

Oh, but you can get meat from animals kicked to death. I'll also mention that grass seems to grow at different speeds depending on the environment. I cannot confirm it, but rain and/or temperature might play a part.
Oh, and I tend to go for 5x5 or 8x8 squares, and micro manage my animals between them. So move the Water buffalo out when the grass gets low, and put some goats on it instead.

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:14 pm UTC

I've had trouble with them to butchers corpses at times, too - most of the time they do it automatically, but sometimes my military will, say, kill all the elven merchants' animals, but they won't butcher them. When I try to order them to butcher an animal, they cancel the order saying there's no fresh corpse nearby.

I've discovered that setting up a small corpse stockpile next to the butcher;s shop remedies this (along with disabling corpses in your refuse pile) - the automatic butchering kicks in only when the corpse is within a certain distance, so as long as you can get it close, it works. If the animal corpse is outside, you might try designating a garbage dump near the butcher's and dumping the corpse to get it close, and then claiming it again (just because refuse outside doesn't get put into stockpiles)

This applies to a lot of workshops, I've found since (maybe this is common knowledge) - set up a fat stockpile near the farmer's workshop, and a raw hide stockpile near the tanner's. If only carving bone bolts could be automatically ordered when there are bones available...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:09 pm UTC

uncivlengr wrote:I've had trouble with them to butchers corpses at times, too - most of the time they do it automatically, but sometimes my military will, say, kill all the elven merchants' animals, but they won't butcher them. When I try to order them to butcher an animal, they cancel the order saying there's no fresh corpse nearby.
Do you have Other Dead forbidden? And.. if you tell them to claim refuse from outside, they should be picking that stuff up.

Return to “Gaming”