You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Xaddak

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Postby Xaddak » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:20 am UTC

Haistfu wrote:I enjoy READING about this game, but for the life of me I CAN'T get myself to PLAY it. I even have a fortress started .. I just can't .. make anything happen. And I read all the tutorials and such. I'm just DF-tarded.

I... what do you mean, you can't make anything happen? What are you doing that absolutely nothing happens?

(Edit) You know, entire days go by without anybody posting on this topic, but here it is 3:20 in the morning and I think there are three or four people on it...
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Haistfu

Postby Haistfu » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:24 am UTC

I just don't know where to start.. with designating or whatever. I dunno. Like I said I'm DF-tarded, I think I may lack the ability to comprehend even the simple concepts.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:36 am UTC

Haistfu wrote:I just don't know where to start.. with designating or whatever. I dunno. Like I said I'm DF-tarded, I think I may lack the ability to comprehend even the simple concepts.

Honestly, if the tutorials didn't help, I don't know what else I can do for you.

(Edit)

What le fuck?

Can't find anything about it on the web, other than vague hints that my world might be permanently screwed... I guess that was the game's way of telling me to go to bed.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Random832

Postby Random832 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:51 am UTC

Another feature that would be nice if they'd add - the ability to schedule furniture placement ('building") against furniture that hasn't been constructed yet; in locations that haven't been mined yet, etc. I.e. be able to designate anything anywhere with the understanding that it will only actually happen when it's possible.

So anyway, like I was saying earlier, can someone help me go over the logistics of safely digging tunnels to carry water?

xulaus

Postby xulaus » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:39 am UTC

Random832 wrote:So anyway, like I was saying earlier, can someone help me go over the logistics of safely digging tunnels to carry water?

I usually channel out the last bit then place a floor over the top if necessary. Floodgates are nice too
Meaux_Pas wrote:I don't even know who the fuck this guy is

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:27 pm UTC

Random832 wrote:So anyway, like I was saying earlier, can someone help me go over the logistics of safely digging tunnels to carry water?

My methods of digging magma/water tunnels:

Water: Determine width. 1-tile wide will usually do the trick, and in my experience, actually works better than wider tunnels. Also, doors are better than floodgates. They shut and open MUCH faster, plus when a dwarf goes to place it, if it makes him stand on the wrong side, he isn't locked over there, he can just walk through the door. However, doors can only be placed next to a wall, so you can only use them for a 2-tile wide tunnel at most. I think there is a way around that, but it never made any sense to me. So, now that you've determined how wide your tunnel needs to be, designate it, except for the final square, and check to be sure you're not putting it where you're planning to put rooms in the future or something (this has happened to me many times). Let the dwarves dig it out - remember to leave the final square untouched - and then place any doors/floodgates/switches/pressure plates that you need (the wiki has an excellent guide to pressure plates). Now that your safeguards are in place, go dig out the final tile to let the water pour in. Miners will easily outrun the water, especially if they're higher level miners.

Magma: More or less the same idea, but there's a trick to it. Instead of digging out the final square, disable Stone Detailing on any dwarves you care about, enable it on an useless peasant or that fifth Cheese Maker your immigration wave brought you, and go smooth that final tile, and then Carve Fortification on it. Liquids (like magma and water) can flow through fortifications at normal speeds. Why do we do this? Because there are fire imps, and sometimes lava men and magma men in there. Enemies cannot go through fortifications, and the magma flowing through it won't melt it. This way you don't have fire imps running around your forges suddenly. The reason you used an useless worker is because there is roughly a 50/50 chance (in my experience) that he will stand there wondering what the glowing red stuff is and light on fire, burn, and die right there in the tunnel.

I hope that helps, but I just woke up, so this might be total gibberish.

-X

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:53 pm UTC

Xaddak wrote:
4=5 wrote:I just created a fantastic fortress design, it's infinitely scalable and very efficient to get around in

create a grid of 3x3 boxes
replace every third one with up/down staircases
turn the boxes in the horizontal line between staircases into a hallway
connect each box up to the closest hallway
repeat the pattern 1 level down rotated 90 degrees
repeat.

I can picture it in my head, and you're right, it does sound efficient, but what about bigger or smaller rooms? Everything in your design has to be the same size.

you knock out walls between rooms.
I chose 3x3 boxes because that's the minimum size for workshops

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:02 pm UTC

4=5 wrote:
Xaddak wrote:
4=5 wrote:I just created a fantastic fortress design, it's infinitely scalable and very efficient to get around in

repeat.

I can picture it in my head, and you're right, it does sound efficient, but what about bigger or smaller rooms? Everything in your design has to be the same size.

But even then you're limited to 7x7. I usually have three or four 20x20 rooms.

-X

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:15 pm UTC

Xaddak wrote:
4=5 wrote:
Xaddak wrote:

repeat.

But even then you're limited to 7x7. I usually have three or four 20x20 rooms.

cool, you can change the size of the grid or leave a staircase off for a level. (unfortunately the biggest room I can get by leaving out one stair case for a layer is 19x19, you'd probably have to change the grid size.)

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:55 pm UTC

So, with the assumed death of my fort at the hands of a Fatal Error, I'm going to generate a new world and have another go at making Dwarven Rapture, hopefully with it's own Arcadia (tree farm) although that might be asking too much since you NEED an underground river/pool to grow tower caps. Lately, I've been doing irrigation and keeping my farms right next to my food stores anyway, well within the safety of the fortress (which incidentally created some 1500 plump helmets). Maybe there is a way to mod the game so you can plant/grow tower caps...?

Anyway, does anybody have any cool ideas for my underwater city? I'm currently planning on having a single tower on the surface, with a 5-wide path with a 3-wide road in the middle leading to the edge of the map. This tower will lead down to the fort proper (maybe by a series of ramps, to let caravans come down too). I am also planning to have every buidling be square (for the sake of my sanity), and to put windows in them (so I need a source of sand). Buildings will be connected by tunnels. Liberal use of a small army of miners (I figure about 20 should do it, maybe accelerated by Companion since I am impatient) will let me dig/channel out everything that isn't one of my buildings or tunnels, and collapse it all down so the only thing left standing, rising from the surface, is my buildings. Then, flood the entire map so the only thing on the surface is my tower, the bridge from the tower to the edge of the map, and a ring around the edge of the map.

Sound nifty? Any thoughts?

-----

Xaddak cancels Study: Strange Mood.
Xaddak withdraws from society...
Xaddak has claimed a Laptop.
Xaddak sketches pictures of a newly generated world.
Xaddak has begun a mysterious construction!
Last edited by Xaddak on Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

-X

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:05 pm UTC

That sounds fantastic.
When/if you complete that epic task you must show us.
Possibly even upload the save file.
:D
Ⓞⓞ◯

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:31 pm UTC

Xaddak, it sounds like you got the magma problem solved, but I agree that it's a problem of distance from the pipe. An easier way to solve it would probably be to channel out your pipe ten (or whatever) segments at a time, and waiting for the magma to fill up to 7 before continuing. You could also do this with floodgates if you didn't want to have access from the level above (and the floodgates don't even need to be Bauxite, since you're not going to be closing them again after you open them once).

Xaddak wrote:I'm going to generate a new world and have another go at making Dwarven Rapture, hopefully with it's own Arcadia (tree farm) although that might be asking too much since you NEED an underground river/pool to grow tower caps
You know that you can use the "find site" tool to guarantee that you get an underground river or pool, right?

Xaddak wrote:Maybe there is a way to mod the game so you can plant/grow tower caps...?
At the moment, I doubt it- I'm relatively sure that crops and trees are still distinct. It's probably easier to just have a site with an underground river/pool and use reveal to find it (or just go hunting with your dwarves).

As for Rapture, it sounds good- it seems that all you actually need will be an underground river (though flooding the entire world off that might be difficult, compared to having a normal river). I actually might steal that idea... hmm.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:39 pm UTC

You don't need to use reveal anymore, by the way...

-X

Phen

Postby Phen » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:03 pm UTC

I'm probably just slow in not having discovered this untill now, but have you checked the relations to other civilization?

Exports from goblins: Terror.
Offerings from dwarves: Vengeance.

Exports from kobolds: Petty annoyance.
Offerings from dwaves: Death.

Just as I was writing this, a mace lord goes beserk. Sounds fun.
EDIT: Err, next thing happening was the guy bleeding to death. Kinda disappointing. Don't know why he did it, though. The dining room is indeed legendary.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:46 pm UTC

Xaddak wrote:You don't need to use reveal anymore, by the way...
Hm, you don't? How's that?

Also, it appears someone's made a tree-growing mod.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:51 pm UTC

I just had an AWESOME idea for a fake underground tree farm that would work with my Dwarven Rapture idea.

1. Dig out a room of whatever size you want your tree farm to be. Channel the floor away so it is two z-layers deep.
  2. Channel out the ceiling.
  3. Channel out a pit the size of the room all of the way to the surface, NOT including the surface. or the topmost layer.
  4. Collapse that topmost layer down all the way to your tree farm room. The layer the trees are on top of should fill the bottom layer of the pit, and the grass/trees will be in place of the floor you channeled out.
  5. Put glass blocks in place of the ceiling. Hooray tree farm!
  6. Profit!

Anybody know if this would work?

Vaniver wrote:

Also, it appears someone's made a tree-growing mod.

Sorry, I thought you meant Regional Prospector. My bad. I just caught it.

I was looking through the modding pages, and that was more or less the plan I came up with, was use the smelter reactions to convert some kind of plant product to wood logs. But I can't bring myself to use a smelter to create wood. So I'm going to try my way!

-X

Awia

Postby Awia » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:58 pm UTC

You should make a water fall in every room, surely it wouldn't be too difficult if you are underwater :P
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:02 pm UTC

Drainage might be a problem.

Awia

Postby Awia » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:06 pm UTC

A empty room at the bottom of the fortress it floods into, would that work? I don't know much about how water works in this game, I don't play it nearly enough.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:12 pm UTC

The room would fill up. This would be bad.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:15 pm UTC

Closed waterfall systems are my art, anyway. I've more or less perfected them.

-X

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:17 pm UTC

A chasm might solve this problem, but then flooding the entire map would be much much harder.
Last edited by TaintedDeity on Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Random832

Postby Random832 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:18 pm UTC

Azrael001 wrote:I remember why it is that I stopped playing. An annoying glitch.

Sometimes when I am scrolling around the map quickly (pressing the Numpad buttons fairly fast) the direction that I am pushing will become locked in, and I will have to fight just to keep the screen still. Saving and exiting is the only way (that I have found) to stop it.

I've had this happen with the arrow keys; letting go and pressing the same key again fixes it
xulaus wrote:

I usually channel out the last bit then place a floor over the top if necessary. Floodgates are nice too

So how do you safely work with high-pressure water (i.e. moving water down several levels)? Hope you can get the floor done before the channel fills up?
Last edited by Random832 on Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:24 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Awia

Postby Awia » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:19 pm UTC

Azrael001 wrote:The room would fill up. This would be bad.
I meant with a hole in the bottom of it, though I don't think that'd work.
Xaddak wrote:Closed waterfall systems are my art, anyway. I've more or less perfected them.
This makes more sense.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:26 pm UTC

Random832 wrote:
Azrael001 wrote:I remember why it is that I stopped playing. An annoying glitch.

Sometimes when I am scrolling around the map quickly (pressing the Numpad buttons fairly fast) the direction that I am pushing will become locked in, and I will have to fight just to keep the screen still. Saving and exiting is the only way (that I have found) to stop it.

I've had this happen with the arrow keys; letting go and pressing the same key again fixes it
xulaus wrote:

So how do you safely work with high-pressure water (i.e. moving water down several levels)? Hope you can get the floor done before the channel fills up?

?

If I read that correctly, I think the answer is "water only moves up if it CANNOT move sideways, at all, in any direction at any point".

-----

(Edit)

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you Xaddak's Indoor Tree Farm:

-X

Phen

Postby Phen » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:18 pm UTC

Woe is me, DF shuts down for some reason. Guess my save didn't survive being ported between the versions, after all.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:38 pm UTC

Awia wrote:
Azrael001 wrote:The room would fill up. This would be bad.
I meant with a hole in the bottom of it, though I don't think that'd work.

Nah, the pressue would cause water to surge up through the hole. Unless you were over an aquifer or other unpresurized source.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:00 am UTC

Vaniver wrote:

Assuming Xaddak is meaning reveal.exe and Vaniver hasn't embarked in the .40x version series..

You can use a site-finder utility built in to the game while embarking to find you areas based on your criteria if they exist (a 5x5 area with a Magma pool, underground river, flux, and heavy rain, for example) and it will do it's best to find an area.. sadly, you cannot tell it to prioritize certain areas over others. In experimenting, it goes for a best case scenario, so it might show you a 5x5 area with an underground river, flux, and heavy rain, but completely ignore the one with an underground river, heavy rain, and magma.

In dicking with the init file, you can tell it to actually show you the hidden content on the embark screen, or keep it hidden so that while you know there is a underground river, you don't know it's rough location.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:12 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Vaniver wrote:

Assuming Xaddak is meaning reveal.exe and Vaniver hasn't embarked in the .40x version series..

You can use a site-finder utility built in to the game while embarking to find you areas based on your criteria if they exist (a 5x5 area with a Magma pool, underground river, flux, and heavy rain, for example) and it will do it's best to find an area.. sadly, you cannot tell it to prioritize certain areas over others. In experimenting, it goes for a best case scenario, so it might show you a 5x5 area with an underground river, flux, and heavy rain, but completely ignore the one with an underground river, heavy rain, and magma.

In dicking with the init file, you can tell it to actually show you the hidden content on the embark screen, or keep it hidden so that while you know there is a underground river, you don't know it's rough location.

No, I meant Regional Prospector.

And in my experience, the site finder likes to say "You want flux? Well, 1/36 of this 6x6 region has flux! That's enough, right?"

-X

Random832

Postby Random832 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:51 am UTC

One of my dwarfs has a pet cat that's injured. This is annoying because it sometimes randomly spams the screen with canceled move-to-refuse-stockpile jobs. Is there a way to either heal it or make it stop working?

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:59 am UTC

Random832 wrote:One of my dwarfs has a pet cat that's injured. This is annoying because it sometimes randomly spams the screen with canceled move-to-refuse-stockpile jobs. Is there a way to either heal it or make it stop working?

Actually, that's a semi-bug. They're just moving around vermin they've killed, and they try to pick up, realize they have no hands (I think so? It would explain the injury bit), and then realize they're cats and pick it up with their mouth. I don't think there is a fix other than modding cats, and that was somewhere on the wiki.

-X

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:36 am UTC

Xaddak wrote:
Random832 wrote:One of my dwarfs has a pet cat that's injured. This is annoying because it sometimes randomly spams the screen with canceled move-to-refuse-stockpile jobs. Is there a way to either heal it or make it stop working?

Actually, that's a semi-bug. They're just moving around vermin they've killed, and they try to pick up, realize they have no hands (I think so? It would explain the injury bit), and then realize they're cats and pick it up with their mouth. I don't think there is a fix other than modding cats, and that was somewhere on the wiki.

That's exactly the problem. Cats don't have any parts marked as grasping appendages, so when they try to pick up a dead vermin they fail to find anything they can carry it with. That pops the 'too injured' warning (Should have hands, but don't, therefore they were cut off) but then causes the cat to 'resort' to using their mouth. You can fix it by either adding a new type of mouth which can grasp, and giving it to cats, or by hading cats some set of appendages that already have a grasping tag. (Like pincers or hands)

Random832

Postby Random832 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:13 am UTC

I accidentally injured one of my miners in a cave-in - how do i make dwarves bring him water?

Yuri2356 wrote:
Xaddak wrote:

That's exactly the problem. Cats don't have any parts marked as grasping appendages, so when they try to pick up a dead vermin they fail to find anything they can carry it with. That pops the 'too injured' warning (Should have hands, but don't, therefore they were cut off) but then causes the cat to 'resort' to using their mouth. You can fix it by either adding a new type of mouth which can grasp, and giving it to cats, or by hading cats some set of appendages that already have a grasping tag. (Like pincers or hands)

Is modding this possible without losing my current fortress? i read some kinds of mods will screw up existing saves

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:19 am UTC

You need buckets and dwarves with Health Care (enabled by default) on, and a source of water. Not booze, water.

I don't think it would create the new cats without regenerating the world, no.

-X

Random832

Postby Random832 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:15 am UTC

Is there any conceivable benefit to leaving gems uncut, or should I cut them as soon as I get them?

In other news, I savescummed - I screwed up (I'd say the #1 mistake there was not setting the crops on the fields, though I also injured one of my miners); and it was a really good site (at least by the standards of what I've done so far) and I didn't want to lose it or have to do reclaim mode. So, ctrl-alt-del.

annals

Postby annals » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:28 am UTC

Random832 wrote:Is there any conceivable benefit to leaving gems uncut, or should I cut them as soon as I get them?

Sometimes a moody dwarf will want rough rather than cut gems, so I usually leave a few. Other than that, no.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:47 pm UTC

Xaddak wrote:You need buckets and dwarves with Health Care (enabled by default) on, and a source of water. Not booze, water.

It works without a regen.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:58 pm UTC

Yuri2356 wrote:
Xaddak wrote:You need buckets and dwarves with Health Care (enabled by default) on, and a source of water. Not booze, water.

It works without a regen.

I stand corrected!

Nobody seems excited about my indoor tree farm =(.

-X

FearoftheDomo-Kun

Postby FearoftheDomo-Kun » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:09 pm UTC

Xaddak wrote:

Magma: More or less the same idea, but there's a trick to it. Instead of digging out the final square, disable Stone Detailing on any dwarves you care about, enable it on an useless peasant or that fifth Cheese Maker your immigration wave brought you, and go smooth that final tile, and then Carve Fortification on it. Liquids (like magma and water) can flow through fortifications at normal speeds. Why do we do this? Because there are fire imps, and sometimes lava men and magma men in there. Enemies cannot go through fortifications, and the magma flowing through it won't melt it. This way you don't have fire imps running around your forges suddenly. The reason you used an useless worker is because there is roughly a 50/50 chance (in my experience) that he will stand there wondering what the glowing red stuff is and light on fire, burn, and die right there in the tunnel.

I hope that helps, but I just woke up, so this might be total gibberish.

In dealing with magma, I do the following:
1. Dig a channel to the magmasource, but leave the final square
2. Build a grate
3. Channel out the final square from above
4. Build a floor over the hole.

Tadaa! No dwarves injured, and no risk of fire imps etc.
So glad to meet you, Angeles

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:29 pm UTC

FearoftheDomo-Kun wrote:In dealing with magma, I do the following:
1. Dig a channel to the magmasource, but leave the final square
2. Build a grate Vertical Bars.
3. Channel out the final square from above
4. Build a floor over the hole.

Tadaa! No dwarves injured, and no risk of fire imps etc.

That way, all you need to do is bring a single Iron bar on embark. No need for bauxite or to spend any fuel to produce a magma-safe grate.

Return to “Gaming”