You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Mo0man

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Postby Mo0man » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:11 pm UTC

My Great Wood cutter/Talented Carpenter/Total Badass was accosted by an ambush while out cutting wood by about 10 untrained goblins. Long story short, he now has a title
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Kag

Postby Kag » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:15 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:They dare attack me?
NO SURVIVORS!

Can't wait for Toady to implement the ability to launch a siege.

Which may never happen, but would still be pretty badass.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:16 am UTC

Kag wrote:
NO SURVIVORS!

I hope it doesn't, unless you have the ability to command them while sieging instead of just sending your troops away and rolling the dice.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Random832

Postby Random832 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:57 am UTC

Yay, my first migrants.

A woodcutter, a peasant, an animal dissector, a trapper, a hunter, another peasant, a dog (the second peasant's pet), another animal dissector, another peasant, a (wow, they really do come in huge waves, don't they?) planter, the planter's pet mule, a jeweler, a peasant, an engraver, a bone carver, another peasant, my community can now support a sherriff, a gem setter (who immediately went into a mood. Possessed, so no legendary skill. I got an aventurine weapon rack; and had a horde of peasants build a wall around the jewelers workshop in case he didn't find what he wanted and went insane. I should probably build walls around all my workshops just in case of future moods) another peasant, a fisherdwarf, a lye maker, an armorer (yay, a profession I didn't already have developed in one of my seven that I actually wanted), peasant, glassmaker (can I import sand? There's no sand on my map.), peasant, butcher.

How in the hell am I going to feed all of these people? I was hoping for just a few more. And any ideas on what to have the peasants and the useless ones do? I gave one of them a pick to help dig out some space for the migrants.

Xaddak wrote:
Kag wrote:
NO SURVIVORS!

I hope it doesn't, unless you have the ability to command them while sieging instead of just sending your troops away and rolling the dice.

I think being able to siege enemy fortresses is going to be a big part of the current development arc he's working on.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:51 am UTC

Random832 wrote:(can I import sand? There's no sand on my map.)

No sand for you!

How in the hell am I going to feed all of these people? I was hoping for just a few more. And any ideas on what to have the peasants and the useless ones do? I gave one of them a pick to help dig out some space for the migrants.

Farm? Any decent plock of agriculture should be drowning is surplus seeds at any given time, so blud some plots and toss two more workers into the mix. Then, draft a few to the guard/army and let the rest do hauling until something comes up.

xulaus

Postby xulaus » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:26 pm UTC

I love this game, I am currently on year 2 of a fort with no immagrants, 90 odd gems, 6 uninjured dwarves, a kobald infestation and a legendary record keeper. On top of that only the elves will trade with me. Oh god the problems I've had.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I don't even know who the fuck this guy is

detinith

Postby detinith » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:17 pm UTC

I'm currently constructing an automatic dwarf atom-smasher.
If you wanna try, it's a fun engineering project. Build a perpetual motion device (circuit of water running waterwheels, which it turn pump water upwards to power the water wheels) with lots and lots of extra wheels on it. Use those to power another set of pumps that let water interact with pressure plates that are linked to a huge drawbridge spanning your entrance. Not over a moat or it can't smash anything, just straight over the ground. Repeated on and off sets make it raise and fall, crushing anything and everything underneath. I heard you can kill a bronze colossus with two or three good whacks.

MartinW

Postby MartinW » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:34 pm UTC

I just realized how much of a geek I am when I though it was funny that my leader was my architect. :D

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:48 pm UTC

detinith wrote:I'm currently constructing an automatic dwarf atom-smasher.
If you wanna try, it's a fun engineering project. Build a perpetual motion device (circuit of water running waterwheels, which it turn pump water upwards to power the water wheels) with lots and lots of extra wheels on it. Use those to power another set of pumps that let water interact with pressure plates that are linked to a huge drawbridge spanning your entrance. Not over a moat or it can't smash anything, just straight over the ground. Repeated on and off sets make it raise and fall, crushing anything and everything underneath. I heard you can kill a bronze colossus with two or three good whacks.

I only use those as reliable garbage disposals. Besides, Demons and Megabeasts can defeat those now.

Dropzone

Postby Dropzone » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:55 pm UTC

I just embarked into an area straddling the border between "The Grooved Ace Jungle" and "The Walls of Love"; I feel like I ought to be building a hippie commune or something. Mountain Gnomes keep splattering themselves on the traps in my entrance hall, there's a Giant Eagle circling ominously overhead, and I'm practically swimming in iron ore. Should be fun.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:59 am UTC

I've got a million and five (caged) goblins just sitting in the halls of my dungeon... Any ideas?

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:47 am UTC

Oh, I forgot to say, I need to keep the bones... Do bones keep under water? Or how about if I dropped a cave-in on them?
Edit: Alternatively, I can do a THIS IS SPARTA on them, and finish off the tough ones with arrows. Or I can use them as target practice... My marksdwarves need that.
Too bad I can't drop them in the river full of fish with scary teeth...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:02 am UTC

Mo0man wrote:Oh, I forgot to say, I need to keep the bones... Do bones keep under water? Or how about if I dropped a cave-in on them?
Edit: Alternatively, I can do a THIS IS SPARTA on them, and finish off the tough ones with arrows. Or I can use them as target practice... My marksdwarves need that.
Too bad I can't drop them in the river full of fish with scary teeth...

Build a four+level drowning pit.

Basically, channel a hole to shove the goblins in. Below that, make a room (we're talking at least 1x1) for the goblins + water to be, and channel a hole in it. Put a hatch cover on the hole, link it to a trigger, then brick the whole thing up. Below that, make sure you have 7 tiles for ever 1 tile the drowning room is - so the water will evaporate.

Get water into the hole - doesn't really matter how you do it, so long as there's 7/7 in ever tile of the drowning pool. Make a Pit over the thing, and throw the goblins in one at a time. When the last one's drowned, pull the lever to open the hatch. If it's larger than 1x1 (and especially if you make the drowning pool two levels deep) the water will push/pull most of the large, light pieces out along with it.

Basically, if you make your drowning area larger than 1x1, put a floodgate in somewhere so after you've drained it, you can open the floodgate and get your workers collect what's left in there.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:41 pm UTC

I got really interested in this game and installed it last weekend. I realised that there's no poing in having millions of billions of things I can do when there's zero things I want to do. I mean, as far as I recall, games are supposed to be primarily fun do play. Realism and epicness are only good as long as they stay out of the way of fun.

If that's what a "non-shallow" game is, I'll keep my oh-so-shallow Spore and be happy with it.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:08 pm UTC

..and there's those of us who positively adore watching a scrappy bunch of seven barely able to fend of naked mole dogs turn in to a sprawling empire of hundreds, capable of withstanding any attack even if beset by scores of goblins, dozens of trolls, and a dragon or two.

So, yes, we're having fun. Sorry you're not. No reason to be whiny about it.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:22 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:..and there's those of us who positively adore watching a scrappy bunch of seven barely able to fend of naked mole dogs turn in to a sprawling empire of hundreds, capable of withstanding any attack even if beset by scores of goblins, dozens of trolls, and a dragon or two.

So, yes, we're having fun. Sorry you're not. No reason to be whiny about it.

:D Perfectly summed up.

In other news, I just got hit with a kobold ambush. This is new (to me).
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Awia

Postby Awia » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:39 pm UTC

Xaddak wrote:In other news, I just got hit with a kobold ambush. This is new (to me).
Just wait until you get sieged by elves.
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:10 pm UTC

My champions seem oddly susceptible to spinal injuries. This frustrates me. Frustrating me even more is the aforementioned "River of Pointy Teeth". I've got no idea how to kill off fishies. All my dwarves do is DROWN. that is not cool

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:18 pm UTC

If you can, build some water wheels upstream, attach to gears on a lever, then attach those to some screw pumps downstream. Drain the river out, let the fishies die, turn off the pumps.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:22 pm UTC

Mo0man wrote:My champions seem oddly susceptible to spinal injuries. This frustrates me. Frustrating me even more is the aforementioned "River of Pointy Teeth". I've got no idea how to kill off fishies. All my dwarves do is DROWN. that is not cool

Drain the river?

Combine it with magma to create obsidian?

-X

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:25 pm UTC

Hrrrm... Would it be bad to divert the entire river so that it runs through my fortress?

Random832

Postby Random832 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:27 pm UTC

Mo0man wrote:My champions seem oddly susceptible to spinal injuries. This frustrates me. Frustrating me even more is the aforementioned "River of Pointy Teeth". I've got no idea how to kill off fishies. All my dwarves do is DROWN. that is not cool

Make sure none of your dwarves have any reason to go near the river Specifically, turn off fishing (or designate another area as the fishing area if you need fish). To cross the river to the other side of the map, dig under it.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:35 pm UTC

Random832 wrote:

Make sure none of your dwarves have any reason to go near the river Specifically, turn off fishing (or designate another area as the fishing area if you need fish). To cross the river to the other side of the map, dig under it.

That is more of a workaround than a solution...

Also: creating your own pools to fish from nets you a lot of turtles.

-X

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:39 pm UTC

Xaddak wrote:
Random832 wrote:

That is more of a workaround than a solution...

Also: creating your own pools to fish from nets you a lot of turtles.

Drain the river into a chasm, aquifer, or sufficiently large underground reservoir, then dam it off. Use channels, pumps and aqueducts to bring water anywhere you may need it.

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:41 pm UTC

Mo0man wrote:Hrrrm... Would it be bad to divert the entire river so that it runs through my fortress?

no, it would be awsome.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:58 pm UTC

4=5 wrote:
Mo0man wrote:Hrrrm... Would it be bad to divert the entire river so that it runs through my fortress?

no, it would be awsome.

Definitely awesome. I've always wanted to do that, but I never get a good spot for it.

For that matter, all of my fortresses lately are built around the exact same design, involving going deep underground and a central staircase that everything sprawls out from on one level, more or less.

Maybe that's why I'm bored...

The few times I've tried the "burrow into a cliffside" type fort I never seem to do very well with it, and having a river fall DOWN and THEN run through the fort... well, you'd have to pump it back UP and that would be more trouble than it is worth. Although that would also be very awesome.

-X

Phen

Postby Phen » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:02 pm UTC

Do some more megaprojects, then. Preferably with lava or water in them.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:06 pm UTC

Phen wrote:Do some more megaprojects, then. Preferably with lava or water in them.

How about a pair of towers, one pumping magma and the other pumping water, that pump it out into the same tile, thus forming midair obsidian walls which plummet to the ground and are destroyed, hopefully creating obsidian rocks?

-X

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:09 pm UTC

If that works you shall be appointed to the post of DwarfFortress God.
Unofficially, of course.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Phen

Postby Phen » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:11 pm UTC

I'm trying to figure how to use my lava, myself. No bauxite, unfortunately...

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:09 pm UTC

Phen wrote:I'm trying to figure how to use my lava, myself. No bauxite, unfortunately...

Well, if you want to use it offensively all You need is some Nickel/Iron pumps and a decent drainage system in place.

Phen

Postby Phen » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:31 pm UTC

I've decided against filling my moat with it, since filling it with traps should be better if any of my own are knocked into it. I've never had lava before, though, so I'm just trying to work out how to use it. I'll have magma-powered workshops, finally.

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:21 pm UTC

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet in this thread, but check out http://mkv25.net/dfma/ you can download a program to compress your fortress from bmp's which cut down the size of mine by about a factor of 5000, and upload it to the site where you can view it and look through all the levels. For example, my first fortress :) http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3744-whipcaught That I've just been building onto over time. You can mark points of interest or such as well, like my flooding trap. :)

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:29 am UTC

What's with the random squares in loam?

Edit: Three things:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3777-lashgroup
Mine

Next, I wanna say... now that I've seen yours more, I think that I wanna make my entrance much.... grander. Yours is much better and bigger than mine.

Another thing, I'm thinking I'm gonna lift the river up a few levels, drop it right down into my base, lift it back out, then put it back. If that makes sense. I'd kill off the fishes, Sexy Talon style, plus, I'd finally do that waterfall I was planning on doing since forever

Random832

Postby Random832 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:20 am UTC

How the f am I supposed to make things out of sterling silver? stupid mayor

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:43 am UTC

Buy every scrap of metal you can get your grubby little paws on. Never know when your noble is gonna end up being a jackass and making you create useless things. Also, you make goblets instead of other stuff; that way you get 3 items for the price of one

Edit: This has been my announcements screen for.... a very long time
Spoiler:

annals

Postby annals » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:31 am UTC

ToadyOne concerning recent developments wrote:...it seems I'll have to find preliminary answers to some deep questions, like "do the undead have souls?"

:D This game is so cool. It looks like a significant amount of this stuff will make it into the raws, as well, allowing the player to tilt the moral compass of their world how they like.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:46 am UTC

Random832 wrote:How the f am I supposed to make things out of sterling silver? stupid mayor

3 Silver + 1 copper, in Ore or bar form.

And yeah, always request some metal bars and ores for import at every opportunity. (The ore is good because smelting metal bars counts as making an Item of that material, making it that much better for noble-pleasin')

Random832

Postby Random832 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:26 pm UTC

Yuri2356 wrote:
Random832 wrote:How the f am I supposed to make things out of sterling silver? stupid mayor

Right, but I have neither. (incidentally, I heard somewhere that Galena counts as silver ore for this even though it's only a 20% chance if you smelt it straight-up)

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:37 pm UTC

Random832 wrote:
Yuri2356 wrote:

Right, but I have neither. (incidentally, I heard somewhere that Galena counts as silver ore for this even though it's only a 20% chance if you smelt it straight-up)

Request every bar/ore type from the traders. Trade it to them in exchange for useless narrow/large clothing. Profit.

-X

Return to “Gaming”