You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Xaddak

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Postby Xaddak » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:22 pm UTC

We're doing this xkcd community (not bloodline) fortress Nist Akath style. To keep from cluttering this thread up, though, I've created a Blogger to follow the tale.

Rules and Guidelines, and Other Stuff:

1. You get one dwarf at a time. So, if you currently have a dwarven character running around the fort, you can't insert another into the queue until the first one drops dead. This is mostly based on the honour system, though, as I have anonymous commenting enable so nobody has to create an account to comment. Please don't abuse this or I'll have to turn anonymous commenting off.
    2. The more specific you are about your request, the less likely it will be you will be accommodated. This isn't me being mean - if you ask for a male dwarf that likes red, is cynical, and hates lizards, well, I'll do my best, but we might not get one, so you'll get skipped over. Conversely, if you ask for just a male dwarf, odds are I'll be able to find you a match.
    3. I'll be maintaining a list of who on the fora is which dwarf, and whether they are living, dead, or not in the game yet (which means I haven't found a match for you or we haven't gotten immigrants).
    4. I will also be using the Customize feature to rename your dwarf. So, you get to pick the first name, but I would advise against requesting a last name unless you don't ever want your dwarf to arrive at the fortress, ever (unless you're really lucky).
    5. Military professions ARE allowed.

I need six people in on this. To join, COMMENT ON THE BLAG (requests here will be promptly looked at and ignored), and answer me this:

Fora Name:
Requested dwarven first name:
Profession:

The fora name, first name, and profession are required. The others you can ignore if you like, but say so if you do, don't just leave it blank, put N/A or something. For Anything Else, this would be things like requesting specific personality traits or whatever.

Example:
Fora Name: Xaddak
Requested dwarven first name: Xaddak
Profession: Marksdwarf
Anything Else: Likes Adamantine

That's enough of this. To the blag.

Welcomes, ladies and gentlemen... to Sodel Olon.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:26 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:So, I'm at 180ish dwarves and over a million amassed wealth, but I've only had 2 ambushes. Whats going on?

How close are the goblins? he asks as if there's a way to check at this point.

(Actually, there kinda is, if you don't mind cheating, sorta.. Save the game, quit, copy the save folder to a new folder, load the copy of the game, abandon the fortress, start a reclaim mission on the fortress then look around the general area for the nearest Goblin Fort.)

Point is, if they're far enough away, they might just leave you alone.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:38 pm UTC

Xaddak wrote:DF Blag
Oh that's a cool idea. *posts on blag* I'll take the hit for the team and change genders and go female. I'll be a brewer but also possibly crazy cat lady?

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:33 am UTC

Jebobek wrote:
Xaddak wrote:DF Blag
Oh that's a cool idea. *posts on blag* I'll take the hit for the team and change genders and go female. I'll be a brewer but also possibly crazy cat lady?

None of the starting people like cats, but I made you a brewer.

Shameless bump: we're still waiting on the 7th person to join us!
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:03 am UTC

Yes, I know there's a wiki with tutorials. My gripe was that, after half an hour of careful reading, I managed to successfully create a game and disassemble my wagon. Then I was assaulted with this huge list of dwarf skills and stuff.

I mean, I know part of it is that I'm lazy (and I fully plan on giving the game more time soon), but it just seems so intimidating to pick up and play. What do I do? Just build a really big fortress?

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:16 am UTC

This is a sandbox game. Your only goals are the ones you set yourself.

That said:

You'll need the basics first. A farm is good, and a source of water definitely helps. The embark screen is one of the most important tools in the game. With it, you choose what challenges you'll be facing. But without food, and some kind of drink (alcohol is good, water works but your dwarves will be unhappy and work slower), you will perish.

Really, I can't explain anything any better than the wiki can - if I could, I'd edit the wiki pages so they were on par. Besides, I'm realizing once again I'm not actually very good at this game.

And sorry if I came off as condescending before - I think I did, and I really didn't mean to. My apologies.

-X

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:19 am UTC

I have been reading Nist Akath thanks to someone's mentioning of it here. I am on page 51. It is worth a read.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:02 pm UTC

SecondTalon, I have a question. As nifty as the blag is, it's also kind of a PITA. Would it be possible for me to start a new thread for the community fortress and post all the updates in there instead of on the blag? It would probably involve a lot of double-posting on my part unless people managed to keep up with my updates enough to prevent it, but it would probably also raise awareness of it and have more people join in. Really, it is because I feel like it is hard for others to see what I am doing - they have to go to yet another website just to read up on it.

(Edit)

Also? I need ideas about how to get past two aquifer layers without freezing. I may have to resort to magma!

-X

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:52 pm UTC

Engineered cave-ins are probably your best bet. channel out the edges of a nice big block-o-land, prop it up on supports just above the aquifer, rig to a lever and then set it free. If that doesn't work, a series of pumping operations can be used to secure the aquifer in sections of about 5x5 at a time (a 3x3 column surrounded with walls.)

xulaus

Postby xulaus » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:31 pm UTC

Azrael001 wrote:I have been reading Nist Akath thanks to someone's mentioning of it here. I am on page 51. It is worth a read.

I spent all day reading that, it was awsome. but why the lack of posts from 14th of June onward?

EDIT: removed typo
Last edited by xulaus on Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I don't even know who the fuck this guy is

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:34 pm UTC

It is because he needs the improvements that are about to be added to adventurer mode before he can start. If I understand correctly.

Awia

Postby Awia » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

You killed me Xaddak! I will seek revenge!
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:43 pm UTC

You took my mayor position! Your death WAS revenge!

There are a lot of other dwarves milling around the place, though. Want to get in on another one? We could get a nice vendetta going, tear the whole place apart in an orgy of violence.

Bonus Edit: Here's a screenshot of the main level of Sodel Olon.

ImageImage

-X

Awia

Postby Awia » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:59 pm UTC

Xaddak wrote:You took my mayor position! Your death WAS revenge!

There are a lot of other dwarves milling around the place, though. Want to get in on another one? We could get a nice vendetta going, tear the whole place apart in an orgy of violence.
Already made a comment on the blog, prepare for my revenge!

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:04 pm UTC

You people are crazy.

I promise not to accidentally flood the fortress. (Though that is completely out of my hands, and in the hands of Xaddak...)

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:06 pm UTC

I made your dwarf, posted on the blag, realized it was female, used Dwarf Companion to fix it, retook the screenie, reposted on the blag. All done! Revenge is at hand... or is it?

I actually almost flooded the fort, through no fault of my own. See the well in the dining room? It has a 3x3 room under it with a pressure plate that just didn't feel like working, so I was reflooding the room manually to keep the well working. UNTIL THE PLATE WORKS ON ITS OWN HAHAHA. Luckily I was looking near the dining room at the time and noticed the water seeping out and ordered a dwarf to flip the switch, so now it has caught and is running smoothly... I hope.

(Edit)

Oh, and I tried to make a swimming pool, but everyone was chickening out. "Dangerous terrain! Dangerous terrain!" Lemmings normally, but when it comes to chest deep water, well, they suddenly know what's good for them!

-X

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:14 pm UTC

You should try having a channel of magma running though the middle of the bath, heated water, plus steam to make the dwarves happy, and all without having to go through the difficulties of making a waterfall.

Additionally, if you can use Dwarf companion to change the genders of dwarves, would you mind terribly if I were to request the gender reassignment of Azrael?

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:17 pm UTC

Uh oh. Jebobek was just elected mayor.

Spoiler:

There's the "new" Azrael. How can you tell under the beards, anyway?

Anyway, there WAS a magma pool under the regular pool, but it refused to fill and the dwarves refused to get in the pool, even when I carefully fine-tuned it down to 3/3. So screw 'em, they can go swim in a lake.

-X

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:33 pm UTC

I've just had a dwarf make what I think is the strangest ring I've ever heard of.

"Tulipbent the Thunder of Connecting
This is a turtle shell ring. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of turtle shell. This object is adorned with hanging rings of turtle shell and menaces with spikes of turtle shell. On the item is an image of Cedars in Cedar."

How, exactly, do you hang turtle shell rings on a turtle shell ring that is encircled with bands of turtle shell and menaces with turtle shell spikes, while still making the image of Cedars in Cedar legible?
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:50 pm UTC

No idea. Honestly, I haven't a clue.

-X

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:10 am UTC

Skill, that's how.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:21 am UTC

"Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice."
-Robert Frost

I think at this point Xaddak is going to go crazy, and try to kill everyone. Magma, or water?

-X

annals

Postby annals » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:41 am UTC

That was really fast, Xaddak. My dwarf looks like a complete psycho with that personality. I like it :twisted:. Am I doing any clerk stuff at all, or still hauling stuff around the fortress?

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:53 am UTC

You were a farmer at first, and were a Master at that last I checked, and a Legendary Organizer and Record Keeper, and doing well with Appraiser, too.

-X

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:05 am UTC

I vote magma.

Also, what is the skill status of my dwarf? (Thanks for changing him, reading all of the she's instead of he's was weird.)

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:00 am UTC

Xaddak wrote:Uh oh. Jebobek was just elected mayor.
Oh you're all freggin going down now!!

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:06 am UTC

Azrael, your guy is a Legendary miner but otherwise fairly undistinguished, other than that he is my only miner since the death of the Usurper.

-X

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:24 am UTC

So it is me that you must convince to carry out your heinous plans.

Being legendary I would assume I would know before hand any disastrous consequences of my mining...

Excellent.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:53 am UTC

The fun part is, I'm making this all up as I go...

-X

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:24 am UTC

Ooo, the plot thickens...

I will have to start playing some more. It has been too long since my last fort.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:29 am UTC

Warning: lots of images!

Spoiler:
Before the fight...

Splat.

The dust settles...

Um, what?

Well, he's definitely dead...

...shit

Oh that's nice WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE

Here it comes... ever so slowly... the only rational response is insanity (many dwarves agreed with that)

See? Told ya. Insanity.

A small but crucial leak... looks like Xaddak got the last laugh!

RIP Sodel Olon

-X

Awia

Postby Awia » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:37 am UTC

Haha, are you going to start another one, revert to a previous save, or are you not going to continue doing this?

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:20 pm UTC

Nah, I'm done. It was honestly a very BORING fortress, if not for Xaddak being psycho I'd be bored out of my skull with it. That's why I went for an interesting finish.

Plus, I don't feel like I was making it a very interesting read.

-X

Awia

Postby Awia » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:57 pm UTC

I think it would have become more interesting as time went on, with more players adding more input, we could have got an interesting little story going.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:20 pm UTC

Xaddak wrote:Nah, I'm done. It was honestly a very BORING fortress, if not for Xaddak being psycho I'd be bored out of my skull with it. That's why I went for an interesting finish.

Plus, I don't feel like I was making it a very interesting read.

You could have sent your enemies off to slave away, building my pyramid, but nooo...

Phen

Postby Phen » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:42 pm UTC

This went very fast... I didn't even get to see it living before it was already over :)
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:26 pm UTC

Do you happen to have a save state before everyone went boom?

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:43 pm UTC

If anyone is getting bored with the game, you could try any of the various Challenges on the wiki.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

Phen

Postby Phen » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:29 pm UTC

I'm still going with a fortress in the year 1065.
Unfortunately, it's only version 38-something, so I havn't got the new tools for making big constructions, which hampers my enthusiasm a bit... Still, I'm currently trying to make the draining system work for my new underground arena, and it was just elected mountainhomes, so I'm making rooms for the nobility as well. My goal is to make some big families, but it just goes so damn slowly... It's 13 years or something for a dwarf to grow into an adult, right? So even though they multiply like bunnies, it takes ages for the famility tree to spread much further...
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:08 pm UTC

Phen wrote:I'm still going with a fortress in the year 1065.
Unfortunately, it's only version 38-something, so I havn't got the new tools for making big constructions, which hampers my enthusiasm a bit... Still, I'm currently trying to make the draining system work for my new underground arena, and it was just elected mountainhomes, so I'm making rooms for the nobility as well. My goal is to make some big families, but it just goes so damn slowly... It's 13 years or something for a dwarf to grow into an adult, right? So even though they multiply like bunnies, it takes ages for the famility tree to spread much further...

I've only had one fortress make it past five years, and that one was because all I was doing was trying to build a super-tower with all of my stuff in it, so absolutely nothing was happening, really.

I still want to make Dwarven Rapture, which is really the Underwater Fortress challenge. Maybe that should be my next project, since the community fortress I tried more or less failed.

Something else I want is something like Nist Akath, constantly harassed by enemies, to MAKE me train my guys up militarily. I always have a fortress, everything is going well, and then hey-o, ambush on the doorstep and all I have is a single marksdwarf who is off hunting game. Lemme tell ya how well THAT works.

My ideal fortress:
Haunted glacier/tundra
Chalk (what can I say, it seems to treat me better than the other flux materials: "oh damn, what shall I do with this fourth giant cluster of magnetite? I guess start making everything out of iron!"
Magma pipe
Flat or close to flat plain. I'm sorry, I like z-levels, but I like them underground. I don't like having to carve stairs all over the place just to get around, and having the caravans ALL show up on a 5x5 patch of ground on top of a 7-level high cliff with no way down.
Aquifer - ONE layer. Two was just annoying.

I think that's it...

-X

Return to “Gaming”