Guitar Hero

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Re: Guitar Hero

Postby mosc » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:46 pm UTC

I bought rockband used with the instrument set (drums, mic, guitar) for $60 which I thought was a great deal but the guitar is such crap. Now that they've patched rockband to allow me to use my GH3 PS3 controller for it, I just use that exclusively. I go over to a friend's house who has rockband 2 gear along with a GH3 controller and the GH3 controller is the sought after instrument every time (x360).
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

razor

Postby razor » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:05 am UTC

I think it's funny how people get so worked up about Guitar Hero. Complaining about how it doesn't teach you how to play guitar. All I can say to that is NO DUH. It's a game, nothing more. That being said, I have a lot of fun playing it. Guitar Hero is one of the most fun games I've ever played. After playing Guitar Hero I feel no more adept at playing real guitar than I did before I started, but it has introduced me to some music I might not have otherwised listened to.

Guitar Hero is a fun game with some good music. If you want to play a music-related game that's really fun, Guitar Hero is definitely one of the better one's. It probably won't make you any better at real guitar though.
"He who remembers much about things that matter not."

Kaneda

Postby Kaneda » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:52 pm UTC

For the record, the GH:WT and GH3 instruments all work on Rock band 2 on PS3 after it downloads a patch.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:04 pm UTC

My existing Wii Microphone isn't compatible and the yellow button on my brand new guitar doesn't work. I'm Suitably Pissed Off.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:18 pm UTC

You can probably return it. My friend's drum set for GH:WT didn't work so Best Buy gave him a whole new set of instruments.

And, while Guitar Hero won't teach you how to play the guitar, Rock Band and GH:WT will probably teach you a thing or two about the rhythm and coordination it takes to play the drums.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:12 pm UTC

one thing about these games is that they teach about rhythm and coordination, sure, but they don't teach the importance of technique. Play as loudly or softly as you want and it's the same score. If you play the drums loudly at the wrong times in a band I'm in you'll get shouted at.

(This is necessary as talking doesn't quite cut it for communication in a band)
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:00 pm UTC

They certainly aren't a replacement for actual lessons on actual drums, and anybody who thinks they can play the drums because of GH:WT/Rock Band is very much incorrect. I just know that, as a complete novice at the drums, I've gone from absolutely terrible to being able to make something that resembles a fairly acceptable beat. It doesn't perfectly simulate them, but it still requires some of the same skills, much more than the guitar controllers do anyway.

Kaneda

Postby Kaneda » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:23 am UTC

When (if) I reach a point where I can get 95% + on hard in Rock band on drums I'm going to go into a drum store and ask if I can try out a drum set.
I've never played real drums so it will be an ideal test of whether Rock band can teach you to play drums :)

Having now had Rock band 2 as well as guitar hero for a month or so, I think Rock Band 2 is better as a game. The structure keeps you going back to play songs again for different gigs, which persuades you to improve at the song within the game progression. They also have the van/tourbus/plane to unlock, staff to hire, challenges and special events to play. Also the way a gig keeps going without asking if you are ready is kinda cool in an immersive way.

My recommendation then is to buy GH:WT for the instruments and Rock Band 2 for the game ;)

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:02 pm UTC

I just played the Tool set, and man do my fingers hurt. I liked the freaky venue, though.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:23 pm UTC

Chfan wrote:I just played the Tool set, and man do my fingers hurt. I liked the freaky venue, though.

If only those songs weren't so damn long. Especially with the hand rapage, it makes it hard to play repeatedly for more points.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

Kaneda wrote:When (if) I reach a point where I can get 95% + on hard in Rock band on drums I'm going to go into a drum store and ask if I can try out a drum set.
I've never played real drums so it will be an ideal test of whether Rock band can teach you to play drums :)

I did this. I can drum. Not well, I still have a few things to unlearn (like the crash being high and left instead of right and low, and my left foot is completely retarded, etc). But I can play most of the basic beats (including the Everlong beat, complete with the kicks that are not quite straightforward). And some fun fill-type stuff (rolls on the toms, etc).
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

OmegaLord
LXIX

Postby OmegaLord » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:32 pm UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:one thing about these games is that they teach about rhythm and coordination, sure, but they don't teach the importance of technique. Play as loudly or softly as you want and it's the same score. If you play the drums loudly at the wrong times in a band I'm in you'll get shouted at.

(This is necessary as talking doesn't quite cut it for communication in a band)

I have recently discovered the "accent" in GH:WT. it is a drum shaped note, and you hit it harder than normal. Not exactly what you're saying, but they're trying.
So what do you guys know about *glances down at sheet* the kingdoms of orgasms
but I just don't see why someone would tape themselves together.
Bear Police wrote:I got Ready to Die today. Took me too long. Great record.

Daeren Ryft

Postby Daeren Ryft » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:47 pm UTC

I got Rock Band 2, along with Rock Band's songs from a friend, and I'm rather pleased with it.

Also, the Random Generator gave me the bandname "The Poisoned Bees." Which is INCREDIBLY AWESOME.
SecondTalon wrote:Did I mention that Robert Frost drives a rocket-car that's powered by constantly firing shotguns in my world?

Kaneda

Postby Kaneda » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:56 pm UTC

another FYI, Rock band 1 does not recognise the GHWT drums on PS3

Solid Freeman
Location: On the outskirts of the one of the smallest of the biggest of the second smallest.

Postby Solid Freeman » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:19 pm UTC

After playing real drums as well as Rock Band, I really wish I had the latter to help me with limb independence, as it is SO MUCH EASIER when you can actually see the notes and it's not just all in your head. :shock:
Can I get a "Fuck yeah, bismuth!"? (bismuth picture in spoiler)

Spoiler:

Kaneda

Postby Kaneda » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:28 pm UTC

Yeah, I'm really getting hooked on the idea of playing real drums now, but I would have no idea what to do. Having the game there to tell me really helps.
I do worry that if I ever did get real drums and join a band, I'd need to take my PS3 along to every gig :D

zerojustice315

Postby zerojustice315 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:29 pm UTC

I'm right there with you Kaneda, it's just, drums are expensive and just because you play a game it doesn't mean you can actually play drums... my friend found that out the hard way when he tried to play real guitar because he was good at guitar hero. Lulz.
What is love? Baby don't hurt me, don't shoot me, in the face.

Amidoinitrite?

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:50 pm UTC

zerojustice315 wrote:I'm right there with you Kaneda, it's just, drums are expensive and just because you play a game it doesn't mean you can actually play drums... my friend found that out the hard way when he tried to play real guitar because he was good at guitar hero. Lulz.

Apples to oranges here. The drums are MUCH closer to real drumming than the guitar is to real guitar. As I said earlier, you have a few things to unlearn (and obviously a real kit has more surfaces to manage) but it's pretty much sit-down-and-play after you've played Rock Band.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Kaneda

Postby Kaneda » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:28 pm UTC

I've now got myself a Rock Band drumkit as well as the GHWT one as Rock Band 1 doesn't see the GH kit. :)
Also graduated to playing drums on hard.... Real drum playing is getting closer...

If any of you guys happen to find yourself in the Nottingham area of the uk, let me know. I'm hosting regular Music game parties :D

Return to “Gaming”