Pokemon MMO

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

LDJosh

Pokemon MMO

Postby LDJosh » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:47 pm UTC

A while back I had the following conversation with a friend

Me: so i've decided how i'm going to make my millions.
Jess: oh yeah? how
Me: i'm going to make a world of warcraft style Pokemon MMO.
Me: realtime battles, not turnbased.
Jess: Oh me yarm
Jess: COOOOOOOOOOL
Me: your "class" will be which starter pokemon you start will
Me: and you'll get a level xp bonus when training pokemon of that type.
Me: run around, catch wild pokemon, have realtime battles with other trainers.
Me: your 'instances' will be the pokemon gyms
Me: you can level grind the normal way, or do missions. "These Rattata keep tearin' up my garden.. Bring me 15 rattata tails and i'll give you 400p as a reward!"
Jess: lol
Me: it's perfect...
Me: and i'll be damned if people wouldn't play it.
Jess: i'd play it
Me: i'll make it, sell the engine to nintendo for 10 million dollars plus royalties.
Me: turn around, and sell it again to Bandi as a Digimon MMO for another 10 million.
Me: lol.
Jess: lol

And I've been working on the game for a little while now. Just a small desktop proof of concept, which now needs translated into a fully functional online multiplayer. I hope to have a working beta with 1 or 2 small areas with a few mobs and fighting capabilites, one or two pokemon, etc... Just a functional alpha.

I want to get some demograph information though, so i'm asking this on several forums online.

What is your age, do you play any current MMOs, and would you be interested in this (even as a free online game?)

oh, and before anyone else posts it...
hahaha. yes. very funny... let's move on...
--------
~Lameduck Josh
ninjajosh.com

Endless Mike

Re: Pokemon MMO

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:04 pm UTC

You're insane if you think Nintendo's NOT already working on this.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:45 pm UTC

Technically, nintendo isn't working on it.
The second party company who owns the game (uh... game freak?) might be though. Or another company which has been subcontracted to.

though, Nintendo may have overlooked this, as it wouldn't be on a nintendo machine, and thus probably wouldn't want it to exist.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:57 pm UTC

I may be wrong, but I believe Nintendo owns the Pokemon franchise, Game Freaks just does the development for it. In any case, it's highly unlikely that they'd do anything with your proposal and concept of design other than throw it in the garbage unless you have a representative presenting it for you. (Note that this is to ensure that you cannot later sue them for stealing your idea, NOT because it's a bad idea, which it definitely isn't.)

ParanoidDrone

Postby ParanoidDrone » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:57 pm UTC

I don't play MMOs, but I'll be damned if I don't give this a try if it ever gets released. <3

I say go for it, legal red tape aside. (^_^)b
Insert witty phrase here.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:10 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:I may be wrong, but I believe Nintendo owns the Pokemon franchise, Game Freaks just does the development for it. In any case, it's highly unlikely that they'd do anything with your proposal and concept of design other than throw it in the garbage unless you have a representative presenting it for you. (Note that this is to ensure that you cannot later sue them for stealing your idea, NOT because it's a bad idea, which it definitely isn't.)

I think they own it, but they don't develop it, so they wouldn't be developping an MMO.

Not to mention, in house nintendo development I believe only works on nintendo systems, meaning they wouldn't be making an MMO.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

LDJosh

Postby LDJosh » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:14 pm UTC

1) no, i don't think nintendo (or subsidiary GameFreak) would pay me 10 million dollars for it, that's an exageration.
However, they might hire me to produce it as a 3rd party if:
I make the game and put it out there for free in some form of alpha to work out details, balance, bugtesting, features, the economy, difficulty, work out a system for adding new content, etc.. then once the whole thing was smoot and starting to get popular, then shut it down, sell the whole engine to nintendo and be like "look at this. It works. and here's your customer base & their 5000 email addresses, all ready and willing to give you 15$ a month for the service."
Either way I don't really care if they want to hire me to make the game, buy it from me, or throw it away. not a big deal. i'm not looking to do this to make a living. i just want to do it. If they want to pay me buttloads of money after I do it, i'm ok with that too.

2) Perhaps in some remote basement somewhere in gamefreak / nintendo / anonymous 3rd party HQ there's someone working on the idea of it, but we've yet to see any real deviation from them milking the same formula they used on Red,blue,green,yellow,gold,silver,diamond,perl. They did have the short lived pokemon snap, and the susequent stadium incarnations, however, nintendo has no real experience in the MMO world yet.

3) I asked for your age, what MMO's you play, and if you'd want to play it.

I'm pretty much going to make this regardless, and if I don't sell it / charge for it, I doubt I'll end up in any more trouble than if I ran a pokemon fansite. I don't expect any real legal repercussions from it, and Cease & Desists be damned, I'm going to make this.
--------
~Lameduck Josh
ninjajosh.com

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:22 pm UTC

Well, you might as well start making it, and when the cease and desists come (which they will, you are stealing their cash cow whole cloth), just be ready.

Also, they by law are pretty much screwed. If you give them unsolisited product of your own creation, they pretty much have to can it and say "We don't accept unsolisited etc". It's a legal thing. If they don't toss it right away, they might get sued from stealing from you. But, if it's really good, they might (might) hire you. But, that's assuming the hiring manager at nintendo/any 3rd/2nd party dev team is as awesome as say Valve.

I might play a pokemon mmo. It would depend on more than just a name though. Game mechanics, look and feel etc.
Oh, I'm in my 20s.

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:30 pm UTC

I thought about a Pokémon MMORPG years ago, so yeah, I'd play it. Good luck with the real-time battles, though.

I'm in my early 20s and while I don't currently play any MMOGs, my preferred type of game is based on skills (Asheron's Call) rather than overall character levels (World of Warcraft).

Triss Hawkeye

Postby Triss Hawkeye » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:59 pm UTC

I'm 16, play World of Warcraft and am not that into Pokemon...but it sounds cool - I might just give it a shot if it came out. It's a pretty new system for an MMO, fighting only with pets rather than yourself. Might be interesting...

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:14 pm UTC

The scope wouldn't be as large as some people would like because of balance issues. You'd have to make some of the more powerful critters summons to avoid a programming and animation nightmare.

Plus, with the big N at the helm interaction would be very, very limited to protect the children. Get ready for six or seven predetermined messages mapped to the function keys. Back when I was into this franchise, I would that a console version of the pocket games with a more robust battle system would have been a great idea. It's too bad that they never ran with it - they could have made a fortune. Uh, more of a fortune, I mean.

Aradae

Postby Aradae » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:47 am UTC

It's been running through my head for a while. However my vision screws around with the whole concept of pokemon and probably wouldn't be very popular.

Gameplay
My idea would be basically WoW where everyone is either a hunter or a warlock with a much more complex pet system. You have weapons or spells along with items to support however it's your pokemon that's doing most of the work. You'd also have the ability to control multiple pokemon in the field depending on their strengths. You could attack with a single charizard or swarm them with multiple ratattas. The point limit of how many pokemon you can control at once goes up as your trainer level goes up however the amount of points required to field a pokemon also goes up with level. If you have a high level pokemon that takes more points than your maximum allows you can still field it however there is a chance it will be disobedient. (This problem will occur more often with traded pokemon)

As for stats and abilities, we'd have EV training like we do know. We wouldn't be limited to for moves and every pokemon of a certain species would have moves common to every member of that species. However there is room for customization with "talent trees" similar to WoW giving you abilities and passive effects. In addition you as a trainer you would level up allowing you to field stronger pokemon or use better support abilities

Setting
Interactions between human and pokemon would also be a lot less peaceful removing the sugarcoating of ***<pokemon> faints.*** and replacing it with ***<pokemon> dies (in some instances). Perhaps maybe there's a war or tensions going on between the different regions making interactions between trainers of different regions more hostile. And you also have the various factions, major and minor, trying to bring chaos to your reason such as team galactic, although in my vision they would be somewhat less cartoony and somewhat more sinister.

PvE

As for quests, each town will have it's people who need tons of little odd jobs done. Catch such and such pokemon, bring me this many items, kill or otherwise disable this many pokemon, harm or bring to justice this many members of <insert sinister faction here>, etc keeping you occupied with that carrot on a stick. You also still have the objective of defeating the gym leaders with the added complication of having to move up the ladder by battling/doing quests (each gym would be like a faction that you have to gain reputation with).

Outdoor areas, caves, instances, sinister faction headquarters, etc will have plenty of puzzle elements. You may need your psychic pokemon to teleport into the next room to pull a switch or levitate an object. You may need a fire pokemon to light a dark cave or you may need an electric pokemon to power a mechanism.

The game will also retain various side quests such as berry picking/growing/mixing, contests, breeding, etc alot with deeper elements.

PvP

Dueling between people of trainers of the same region can happen anywhere (except maybe certain zones). There are multiple rules you can set in duels: Single pokemon only, as many pokemon as your field limit allows, single match, as many matches as the pokemon you have with you, no items, no support abilities, and there may even be a option where it's just the trainers who are dueling.

If a duel occurs in the field then it won't count towards your rank, but if it's held in a chartered area (some pokemon centers, arenas, stadiums, etc.) it will count, however for these matches you don't get a chance to choose the rules. Ther are daily tournaments for cash prizes, items, and rare pokemon. There are also seasonal tournaments held in which trainers from all the regions can compete.

There may be RvR between the various regions, however some may think this really doesn't fit into the setting of pokemon. But how awesome would it be to have a battle between Kanto and Sinnoh where on the ground we see trainers from sinnoh with their Infernapes and their Torterras battling trainers from Kanto with their Charizards and their Venasaurs while overhead we see people riding Starraptors exchanging blows with people riding Pidgeots.

Trading and Pokemon Distribution

In past games there were always different versions with different pokemon or chances of finding a pokemon. This encouraged trading to get that particular pokeomon you couldn't find in your version. There would be no such restrictions in this game. Everyone gets the same version however the pokemon are distributed so that it may be harder or impossible to find a pokemon without venturing outside your region into hostile territory.

You may be willing to risk it and keep the pokemon for yourself or exchange it with other people from your region for money, items, or other pokemon. If you don't want to risk your pokemon or pay through the nose for someone who did you can go to certain neutral areas to trade directly with trainers of other realms.

Legendary Pokemon

Of course there have to be restrictions that keep the number of legendary pokemon a server has in check (I wouldn't want everyone I fight to have a mewtwo) One restriction would be the difficulty of obtaining such a pokemon which would require a lengthy and difficult quest chain. Another would be time restrictions, a legendary pokemon may only be caught once in a blue moon (or in the case of darkrai, maybe once in a new moon) and it may only be caught once by one trainer at each occurence. If you happen to get a legendary pokemon you can only have one in your party at a time, the rest will have to be in storage which carry a somewhat high maintenance cost for maintaining said pokemon. Lastly if your legendary dies, it's gone. You can catch another one but you would have to raise and train it from the start again.

I've always fantasized and written down elements that could make a game better and this really is the only one that retains any amount of plausibility. Think about it, there would be a shitload to do in the "endgame" for this: experiment and train with other pokemon, elite four/gym challenge, duel with other trainers improving your rank, battle the other regions, "catch 'em all" (a grand undertaking as legendaries and rare will often have quest chains leading up to the opportunity to get one), collect shinies, or master the various other elements such as breeding.
Last edited by Aradae on Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:15 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Guys guys guys! I found Russel's teapot! . . . nevermind, it was just Jesus flying to Mars again.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:40 am UTC

After reading the first post I thought "Damn, I'd play that. But I probably wouldn't tell anyone that I play" and that it would be really quite cool.

After reading that last post, I'm all like "Damn! Give me a time machine that can travel to alternate timelines where this happens!" Seriously, sounds awesome. And I like the idea of making Pokémon grow up - the only thing that bugs me about the current cash-cow versions is that if someone wants to thwart your plan, they battle you and if you happen to make all their pokemon faint... they magically go away and can't punch you! So yeah, I'd say use a semi-permadeath thing: make them faint (lose cosciousness is better) after a point then still allow them to be damaged. After a certain point they actually die and are irretrievable beyond some sort of poké-magic.

As for battling, I think the idea they used for companions in NWN2 would work well - allow toggleable AI (as in order the critter to fight on its own or only to attack with your command). It would be necessary if it's real-time and you can have multiple pokémon fighting at once since controlling two or more creatures in real-time and being competent (let alone decent) would be a task only a few people could master (allowing room for the player's skill to shine through the levels which is always refreshing).

But yeah, if Ninty got on this and it was like you've described I'd be jumping on it faster than a ten year-old fanboy desperate to get Pearl.

EDIT: Sixteen, love playing muhmorpiguhs but usually don't have the money.
Last edited by thecommabandit on Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:56 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

LDJosh

Postby LDJosh » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:24 pm UTC

I actually have a subdomain with a private wiki & forum setup for the discussion and development of this, so if you guys seriously like what you're seeing and would like to contribute, shoot me a PM and i'll set you up with a login for it.
--------
~Lameduck Josh
ninjajosh.com

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:53 pm UTC

See, I like the idea, but I think you're limiting yourself and what you can do with it by it being Pokemon. You could easily make a blatant knockoff using creatures of your own design (garlicsaur anyone?) where you're not constrained to fit into the Pokemon world. To answer your questions:

26, none but play WoW for like two months, yeah

FACM

Postby FACM » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:32 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure if you search, you'll find at least 1 in-development fan game like this.

And while the Pokemon universe screams for an MMO, I don't think it's going to happen. Nintendo just doesn't seem to be taking online gaming that seriously.

LDJosh

Postby LDJosh » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:18 pm UTC

I've been kicking the idea around with some friends for about six months, and been watching online as several groups formed and died making pokemon MMOs, however, all of them that went ANYWHERE were the 2d, overhead, turnbased formula just like the standard games.

it was basically just letting you play the multiplayer version of the game over the internet.

So i've setup pokemon.joshwnet.com for anyone interested in jumping on this project, be you coder, modeler, or just want to help us brainstorm ideas.

It's a forum for ideas, with a Wiki for concepts we've decided on (like damage formulas, areas, leveling,etc...)
--------
~Lameduck Josh
ninjajosh.com

Aradae

Postby Aradae » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:34 pm UTC

Oh and I'm 18 and I have played MMO's
Guys guys guys! I found Russel's teapot! . . . nevermind, it was just Jesus flying to Mars again.

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:41 pm UTC

my account hasn't been approved there yet so I'm just going to say it here.
My biggest non sexual fetish is evolution through natural selection. If you could have the populations of wild pokemon have bellcurves of stats that you influence by which of the pokemon (randomly generated out of the bellcurve) that you beat. make them rebreed every time the number of wild pokemon in that area falls below a certain level. This way a specific pokemon can become locally extinct and have conservation efforts by breeding the only captive specimen with a ditto.

I promise I will keep playing forever if you could make stats that are generated when the pokemon is born a small bellcurve with the 45 degree portion of the probability bell curve centered on each parent's stats. If you also made the color hexcode it could be just at inheritable as stats.

all this is pretty much needless bloat but. they are also the main components to my dream game

FACM

Postby FACM » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:16 pm UTC

4=5: Read up on how a pokemon's stats actually work in the newer games. It's surprisingly complicated, and does something like you're saying. It just does it invisibly.

LDJosh

Postby LDJosh » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:29 pm UTC

actually, 4=5, it did something strikingly similar to that even in Red & Blue. If you took a pikachu and leveled it from start to finish just killing off magikarp, it would boost it's speed factor based on the fact that it only fought extreamly fast pokemon to the point where it would be damn near impossible to hit. it would, however, be so low in attack stats due to magikarps low defense, that it would be worthless offensivewise. the newer games system of EV points and the like based on what they fight, eat, etc. are even more robustly complex.

I am really digging the idea of the mobs spawn rates being effected on a global level based on where the players hunt...
--------
~Lameduck Josh
ninjajosh.com

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:25 pm UTC

FACM wrote:4=5: Read up on how a pokemon's stats actually work in the newer games. It's surprisingly complicated, and does something like you're saying. It just does it invisibly.

I've read it all
I don't like the limits
and the lack of heritability over more than 2 generations is awful

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:52 am UTC

I'm 17 but I don't play MMO/MMORPGs because I'm afraid of losing years to them. However in the past Pokemon gets my attention for a month, goes away for four-seven, (rinse and repeat with each version), so this sounds much more appealing to me.

I don't know why Nintendo wouldn't be doing this, the Wii is internet capable, so they could run a MMO through that. Plus it would stop people (like me) having difficulties reaching computer specs for the better games.

This threads kinda spooky 'cause I was thinking just yesterday about how the turn based system is such a let down from the TV shows.
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:47 am UTC

Would probably be the coolest thing if it came out all proper. Shit Nintendo hasn't even made a 3D realtime single player.
=]

zahlman

Postby zahlman » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:36 am UTC

Nintendo, the company developing the game, etc. etc. are NOT going to make something like this.

Why?

Just look at the past history of the series. It's more versions than I can be bothered to count now, and it's still the same basic thing. Because it's a cash cow, and the game is currently good enough that even marginal improvements with each release will keep people happy and addicted. A major shift would kill that momentum, and DS->MMO is about the most major shift possible in gaming right now.

If they actually wanted to do something innovative (i.e. even after taking the business decisions into account), we would already have at least, say, Pokemon Tactics. (Which is a natural fit for the game world, if you think about it: the "units" have strengths and weaknesses, which could potentially complement each other; they have an in-depth combat mechanic, and you're already spending most of the time wandering around on a tile-based map.)
Belial wrote:I once had a series of undocumented and nonstandardized subjective experiences that indicated that anecdotal data is biased and unreliable.

LDJosh

Postby LDJosh » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:07 pm UTC

Nintendo has the weakest of the next-gen online systems. They're still using friendcodes for peatsake. If you've ever played something like "LostMagic DS" online, you know what i'm talking about.
It works, but it's hella klunky. Nintendo has never done an MMO. Microsoft has XBox Live, arguably the best online system, and Sony has the PlayOnline network and has created several MMOs. Nintendo has never touched the stuff.

Some sort of unholy alliance of Nintendo-Gamefreaks / Acti-blizzard would make this game perfect, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

So in short. I'm making this game.
We've got some really good discussion going on at the site, so if you want to see what we're doing, hop on @ pokemon.joshwnet.com
--------
~Lameduck Josh
ninjajosh.com

Aradae

Postby Aradae » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:48 pm UTC

Active Blizzard Freaks?

Isn't that already a term used to describe anyone who plays WoW?

3tard

Postby 3tard » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:34 am UTC

I have been running this idea in my head as well, and I have a few ideas.
First, your trainer would be the one exploring the map and communicating with players and so on. She/he would have equipment slots for trainer items like speed enhancers and pokeball slots (pokeballs would be capped out at 6 balls per trainer at one time, but the slots would allow a higher total level cap, so you wouldnt be able to have a full party of level 100 pokemans. exceeding this limit would cause your pokemon to have a chance at disobeying you, increasing as this limit were broken further). Trainers would also have an equipment slot or 2 for pokemon combat bonuses.
When combat starts, your trainer sends out the first pokemon in your list. Pokemon would be sort of like arena champions in everquest 2, with there own little stats and set abillities, except they can level up. You gain complete control of your pokemon when its in combat, and you can use hotkey commands to throw pokeballs and switch pokemon(it would take time to switch pokemon, so opponents could charge their solar beams etc). Catching a pokemon will send it to the pc automatically, and it would take a fee to awaken it from the pc(awakening fees would increase with level). Wild pokemon would appear everywhere, but trainer pvp could only happen in tall grass.
If a trainer in pvp engages another trainer in combat, he/she has 10 seconds to respond before the player automatically forfeits, thus awarding the winner 10% of the losers on hand money and faction bonus with a gym (depending on the gym being worked on; for example, if you were working on the pewter city badge, defeating trainers with a leaf or water affinity would give an honorable kill bonus for high faction points, defeating trainer for a fire or normal affinity would result in a regular kill bonus for less faction points, and defeating a rock or ground type trainer would result in dishonorable kill bonus and negative faction points) If you gain enough faction with a gym and complete their quests, you can challenge the trainer captains for badges (gym leaders, as I imagined them would be wise sages and so be way too powerful for a low level player, so the trainer captains would do the badge fights; gym leaders would be end game content).
With plenty of side questing, group instances and legendary pokemon quests (see previous posts for legendary pokemon quests) in between these badges, this would offer a varied gameplay experience. Maybe you could choose to faction between the jhoto and kanto leagues for different starting points, then have some end game elite four stuff. Maybe throw in some plots involving red rocket for different leveled players, or maybe even offer an option to join red rocket.

These are just suggestions, and if a pokemon rpg ever happened, I would be a loyal player.

question to op if when he checks back on this forum:
Can you explain in detail to me the setting of the game (the world, the story behind it etc) and the battle system. You can pm me on this forum if you like or just post it for all to see.

Edit button, please. -ST

LDJosh

Postby LDJosh » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:48 pm UTC

SUPER THREAD NECRO GO!

Ok, so this project had something of a resurgence lately. some real progress has been made.

We're running on the unity engine with a photon middleware for the server. probably within the next 2 weeks or so i'll have a public beta ready that will pretty much comprise of a virtual pokemon petting zoo. no character creation or battleing or anything, just walk around and look at pokemon roaming in the wild. think "it's pokemon snap, but I can get out of the car."

the new URL is pokemon.ninjajosh.com
if you had a login before, it still exists. if not, you'll have to apply for membership, but I'll approve it pretty quickly.
--------
~Lameduck Josh
ninjajosh.com

Canineteeth

Postby Canineteeth » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:30 pm UTC

Props for doing it. Given, some of the models (or rather, that charizard model) look horrible, but a Pokemon petting zoo wouldn't be too bad by itself. Give it graphics worth looking at and spread them out over a larger area (Charizard in a forest? Its begging for a volcano). I have no clue how you or your development team are working, but someone should work on the map while someone else gets the battling systems right.

And please don't make it a WoW type thing. The Pokemon novelty would carry it, but its not something that will take well to "Go take out 10 rattatas, catch this pokemon, or bring this pokeball over to Oak." Try going for an pokemon feel, "Confront Team Rocket;s leader", "Go to the top of the mountain", so on.

And on the whole legendary thing, thats where your real troubles come in (game design-wise). You can't make them a constant, catchable creature else everyone will be running around with Mewtwo, and that just breaks immersion. On the other hand if only one person can catch them that makes an "elite" class of people. My suggestion (you probably already have it solved your own way) is making them spawn during an event (Deoxys starts terrorizing a city) that culminates in a massive Deoxys + minions Vs. A lot of trainers, or an occasional instanced dungeon for a party of trainers to go through and fight the legendary as the boss, but making sure the legendary gets away.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:58 pm UTC

Canineteeth wrote:And on the whole legendary thing, thats where your real troubles come in (game design-wise). You can't make them a constant, catchable creature else everyone will be running around with Mewtwo, and that just breaks immersion. On the other hand if only one person can catch them that makes an "elite" class of people. My suggestion (you probably already have it solved your own way) is making them spawn during an event (Deoxys starts terrorizing a city) that culminates in a massive Deoxys + minions Vs. A lot of trainers, or an occasional instanced dungeon for a party of trainers to go through and fight the legendary as the boss, but making sure the legendary gets away.

Or they could simply be WoW-style raid bosses.

"The Mewto is entering phase 15-C! Rub him with your unholy parsley!"

LDJosh

Postby LDJosh » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:51 am UTC

most of this has been discussed at the pokemon.ninjajosh.com forums, but there will be legendary pokemon to catch, but most of them will be limited to actually ONE legendary in the world. if the account goes inactive or the person quits, or doesn't meet certain requirements, they'll lose it. (similar to having a level 80 pokemon on a new character in the traditional games).

as for questing, we have several aspects of the demo already mapped out, and i've stated a hundred times that there will be NO FETCH QUESTS (kill 10 ratatas and bring me their tails, etc).

The models we're using right now are simply rips from pokemon snap and smash brothers, for stock use. My primary modeler recently had a kid and hasn't been able to work on the project, understandably, so I'm just making due with what I have. I'm doing all of the coding solo right now and we have a selection of idea guys/peanut gallery just helping out with testing.
--------
~Lameduck Josh
ninjajosh.com

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:05 am UTC

Eh, I'd rather just have any pokemon defined as a unique legendary in the pokemon universe be uncatchable, make them like legendary NPCs who appear for certain events every now and then.

For instance, as far as I know (might be wrong), while Heatran is legendary it isn't unique (ie. there are multiple heatran in the pokemon universe) so it would just be a very rare pokemon to catch but otherwise normal. Whereas Mewtwo or Arceus etc. would be uncatchable.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

hatten

Postby hatten » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:49 pm UTC

Wow, if this became reality it would be _SO_ awesome, I'm ready to jump on the wagon and play it, though I'll have to be damn hooked to shell up a monthly fee for a game.

What about linux?

PokemonFan

Postby PokemonFan » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:52 pm UTC

Actually, Endless Mike, though this topic is old, I wanted to point out that "The Big N" only publishes and owns the Pokemon franchise, but it doesn't create Pokemon. Nintendo only merchandises and licenses Pokemon.

The full owner/creator of Pokemon is Satoshi Tajiri, also happens to be the founder of Game Freak.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satoshi_Tajiri

Game Freak owns Pokemon, Nintendo are merely the way Game Freak gets their games marketed and licensed.

Please refer to the two links I have provided. I couldn't take it anymore. -ST
Spoiler:
Actualy Endless Mike thow this topic is Old

i Point Out The Big N Only Pubishes And Owns The Pokem on Franchise Byut It Dont Create Pokemon ie Nintendfo Only Murchensises and Licences Pokjemon

Ythe Full Owener/Creator Of pokemon is Satoshi Tajiri The Creator Of Pokemon Who All So Happens To Be The Founder Of Game Freak

Game Freak Owns Pokemon Nintendio Are Marly The Way Game Freaks Gets Thare Games Marketed And Licenced

Pleased Rewfure to the 2 Links i Have Provided

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:12 pm UTC

What the flying fuck?

@ below: Thank you. English is not my native language either, so translating was near impossible.
Last edited by Menacing Spike on Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Obby

Postby Obby » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:27 pm UTC

PokemonFan wrote:Actually, Endless Mike, though this topic is old, I wanted to point out that "The Big N" only publishes and owns the Pokemon franchise, but it doesn't create Pokemon. Nintendo only merchandises and licenses Pokemon.

The full owner/creator of Pokemon is Satoshi Tajiri, also happens to be the founder of Game Freak.

Game Freak owns Pokemon, Nintendo are merely the way Game Freak gets their games marketed and licensed.

Please refer to the two links I have provided.

I'm pretty sure that's what he was trying to say. I don't think English is his native language.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Bipod

Postby Bipod » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:19 pm UTC

So this died then? That's too bad, after reading through the first few posts I think I would have enjoyed the direction it was heading in.

LDJosh

Postby LDJosh » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:12 pm UTC

Sometimes a good idea just won't stay dead.

Now a single player adventure game, removing the copy-write infringement, and migrating to the Ouya.

http://highscoretv.com/mtja/
--------
~Lameduck Josh
ninjajosh.com

Return to “Gaming”