Assassin's Creed

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Otis

Assassin's Creed

Postby Otis » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:50 pm UTC

I just started playing this game the other day and I absolutely love it. There is a lot of build up at the beginning before you actually get to do anything but once that’s all over the fun really begins. I love how large and detailed the cities are. I love being able to jump from rooftop to rooftop. I love killing someone in the middle of a crowd and walking away like nothing happened. And it is such a thrill to get chased around by the guards until I can ditch them and hide in a haystack.

Oh, and sorry if a thread like this has already been started. I did a search and could not find one.

clayasaurus

Re: Assassins Creed

Postby clayasaurus » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:12 pm UTC

very impressive game.

It was a little easier to beat than I would have liked, but I found myself putting this in over Cod4 and Mass effect. So much fun, SOOOOO MUCH FUN, to run around slaying templars like nothing.
I lie down in fields and listen to Underworld a lot.

Pandercolour

Postby Pandercolour » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:43 pm UTC

I never finished the game before it was stolen.

Good game, but not worth buying twice. Maybe when the price goes down.

Zak

Postby Zak » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:45 pm UTC

It is a pretty awesome game, and almost nothing beats the feeling of leaping off those view-points, except maybe the brutal knife kill scenes.
*waggles eyebrows*

Phen

Postby Phen » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:36 pm UTC

I tried it at a friend's house and can't wait to get it myself. It's still not out on the PC yet, though... :(
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Dr. Canadian Ninja

Postby Dr. Canadian Ninja » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:38 am UTC

I liked the game, but considering I beat it in a week, I wouldn't consider it beyond a rental. It's fun, but sometimes doing everything before the assassination is just boring as hell. Only a few of the intelligence gathering memories were difficult enough to bother trying, and I felt that for a game that put stealth above everything, climbing a building in front of five guards to have them do nothing kinda ruins it. Why focus on stealth if you don't have to?

That said, the assassinations were incredible. Jumping off a tower just to shove a spike in a guy's head does not need an excuse.
SecondTalon wrote:Know what I hate? The complete lack of electric bass guitar in Baroque stuff. I mean, come on!

shmack92

Postby shmack92 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:29 am UTC

Honestly, Assassin's Creed isn't that great a game. When it begins, the game appears to have a pretty decent storyline and stylized gameplay. But as the game progresses, you find yourself doing the same 3 side-quests, sifting through the same moronic AI and listening to the same long-winded speech. The sci-fi setting of the game doesn't redeem the game much either, unless you count cryptic messages and a slow-moving plot redeeming. And when the plot finally begins to speed up, you are left with the worst cliff-hanger since Halo 2.

Zak

Postby Zak » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:21 am UTC

The whole game was basically an excuse to climb all over stuff and kill other stuff in really cool ways, but that's enough of a game for me!
*waggles eyebrows*

Otis

Postby Otis » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:47 am UTC

Z.A.K wrote:The whole game was basically an excuse to climb all over stuff and kill other stuff in really cool ways, but that's enough of a game for me!

That's basically my feelings on the game too. It's not the best game I've ever played but it is the most entertaining that I've seen in quite some time. Besides, this is Ubisoft we're talking about. They make entertaining games with terrible story lines.

Oh, and once I learned how to really utilize the counter attack I felt like a god taking on huge groups of guys at once.

Phen

Postby Phen » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:38 pm UTC

There's going to be something extra in the PC-version, but I've forgotten the specifics. A new way of gathering intelligence, or something in that vein at least...

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:30 pm UTC

I think it was one or two more of the missions you have to do before the actual assassination. As in, different kinds you can choose to do.

I'd be interested in seeing the sci-fi storyline since I'm a sci-fi nut, but when I part with my money when it comes out for PC it'll be 98% for the running, jumping, climbing, slicing, fighting and coolness factor and 2% interest in storyline.

I might love a good storyline but they are not necessary for an awesome game. Action film writers need to take this to heart.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:53 pm UTC

I thought this game was fun for 20 minutes. I put about 2-3 hrs into it, and had fun, and it IS beautiful, but seriously, *3* mission types (eavesdrop, pickpocket, bully), and the only thing that changes is a few more combos/lame items and harder guards? I found the entire combat engine could be rocked by simply counter attacking, as guys come one at a time...

Don't get me wrong, the game is GORGEOUS, the free running a BLAST, and some of the assassinations are TONS of fun. I just felt that given how cool the premise is, they dropped the ball and released a half complete game.

I bought an xbox 360 to play it and ended having a great time for about 2 hrs, suffering through another, and then just selling it and moving on. I applaud the time I spent, just doubt i'll ever pick it up.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Aradae

Postby Aradae » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:43 pm UTC

Pandercolour wrote:I never finished the game before it was stolen.

Good game, but not worth buying twice. Maybe when the price goes down.

What is it with people stealing this game? Mine got stolen a couple months ago and I've just know bought a new one.
Guys guys guys! I found Russel's teapot! . . . nevermind, it was just Jesus flying to Mars again.

Otis

Postby Otis » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:23 pm UTC

I think we can all agree that it's biggest and maybe only real fault is the lack of variety. On my first mission at Damascus I saved all the civilians and then it turns out that you don't really get anything good out of it. Yeah you get the scholars and the vigilantes or whatever they're called but when I'm being chased around I make for the rooftops as soon as possible so they don't really help out.

Does anybody know what the flags are for? I could just look it up in the book or maybe online but I'd rather just talk about it here.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:31 pm UTC

It's just part of some stupid 'find 100 of these' tasks. You get an award or something. I dunno. It's pointless to the storyline, and pointless to the gameplay.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Otis

Postby Otis » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:34 pm UTC

So you don't get some sort of wicked nuke gun? It's basically just a really tedious way to get another achievement?

clayasaurus

Postby clayasaurus » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:29 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I thought this game was fun for 20 minutes. I put about 2-3 hrs into it, and had fun, and it IS beautiful, but seriously, *3* mission types (eavesdrop, pickpocket, bully), and the only thing that changes is a few more combos/lame items and harder guards? I found the entire combat engine could be rocked by simply counter attacking, as guys come one at a time...

Don't get me wrong, the game is GORGEOUS, the free running a BLAST, and some of the assassinations are TONS of fun. I just felt that given how cool the premise is, they dropped the ball and released a half complete game.

I bought an xbox 360 to play it and ended having a great time for about 2 hrs, suffering through another, and then just selling it and moving on. I applaud the time I spent, just doubt i'll ever pick it up.

play it in small doses, if the game is fun but shallow you need to regulate.
I lie down in fields and listen to Underworld a lot.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:56 am UTC

And regulate I did! Right outta my Xbox.

Zak

Postby Zak » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:57 am UTC

Does anyone else play solely with the dagger? The counter kills for that weapon are just so awesome!
*waggles eyebrows*

Otis

Postby Otis » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:15 am UTC

Z.A.K wrote:Does anyone else play solely with the dagger? The counter kills for that weapon are just so awesome!

I didn't even know you could use the dagger to do counter attacks. Now I'm all excited to go home and test it out. Too bad I still have 9 more hours at work

And can anyone tell me if there's a way to get more throwing knives after you've used up the five they give you?

Stief

Postby Stief » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:21 am UTC

Otis wrote:I didn't even know you could use the dagger to do counter attacks. Now I'm all excited to go home and test it out. Too bad I still have 9 more hours at work

And can anyone tell me if there's a way to get more throwing knives after you've used up the five they give you?

One of the easiest methods is to walk behind random people and pickpocket them slyly...everyone seems to be holding knives in these times...
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

swordthane

Postby swordthane » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:06 pm UTC

This game would have been much better if there was multi player assassination either one person wins by killing a target first or both players sin by killing one or more people.

Irrefutable

Postby Irrefutable » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:54 pm UTC

Stief wrote:
Otis wrote:I didn't even know you could use the dagger to do counter attacks. Now I'm all excited to go home and test it out. Too bad I still have 9 more hours at work

One of the easiest methods is to walk behind random people and pickpocket them slyly...everyone seems to be holding knives in these times...

You have to pick pocket so called "Thugs". Fairly obvious and they all look the same, just look for someone big and beafy who isnt a guard.
One day something wity and original will appear here

Shizo

Postby Shizo » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:03 pm UTC

Z.A.K wrote:Does anyone else play solely with the dagger? The counter kills for that weapon are just so awesome!

I do. The sword takes forever to unsheathe in battle, so I use to the dagger. It's nice to be able to take out 3 or 4 guards, then rush the rest without having to draw the sword.

exis

Postby exis » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:53 am UTC

Shizo wrote:

I do. The sword takes forever to unsheathe in battle, so I use to the dagger. It's nice to be able to take out 3 or 4 guards, then rush the rest without having to draw the sword.

I used the dagger almost always just because it looks so damn cool. The way his whole body moves with it is just gorgeous.

I wish I had this to play still. I was too fast finishing it off, and never really gave myself time to explore. Which I think was what made it feel so awesome in the first place; just wandering around.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:09 pm UTC

Otis wrote:Besides, this is Ubisoft we're talking about. They make entertaining games with terrible story lines.

Yeah, the storyline in Chessmaster is just weak. :(
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

ItGoesSplat

Postby ItGoesSplat » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:13 am UTC

I love the gameplay, but I didn't really care for the storyline as much (the future part anyways). I loved running around and trying to slay Guards without being noticed. :)

Phen

Postby Phen » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:42 pm UTC

Yay, it's out for PC! Installing it right now... (Oh god, I forgot all that they like to put chemical formulas in all sorts of places... I JUST finished my organic chemistry exam. Don't wanna look at those right now... :( )

Edoc'sil

Postby Edoc'sil » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:39 pm UTC

I was going to wait for it on the PC but bought it on the 360 back when it came out. LOVE IT. True, things can get repetitive, but I just have so much fun with it. Not a game for heavy thinking (unless you spend time trying to figure out all the clues at the end) but a blast to play. I will probably get it on PC as well so I can take screenshots better as well as record movies better.
Creator of Septim's Pride, an Oblivion Comic.
I also like pizza.

Otis

Postby Otis » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:40 pm UTC

I just figured out that you can counter attack with the blade. Some of those kills are brutal too. When you guys get into fights with a group of guards do you fight with the sword or the blade because I don't fair very well with the blade. I can get a kill or two with the blade but then have to switch to the sword.

Phen

Postby Phen » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:42 pm UTC

I've only played it a little, atm... (Work, no time to play :/) The only fights I've had was with the sword. Countering doesn't seem so hard... Then again, I've been up against 2 guards, max.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:12 pm UTC

that's all you're ever against. The rest just circle and wait their turn to be slaughtered.

The health regeneration is absurdly high. The "save the citizen" missions are complete filler. The "bully" and "pickpocket" missions are no fun and pointless. The combat consists of waiting, countering, waiting, countering, and waiting some more. All that I'd forgive. The worst part is that if you BUMP into somebody or walk too fast, you can trigger a guard to send an army after you but if you crawl all over the town, they could care less.

Repetitive is an understatement. It's basically the same game 9 times in a row with only the plot SLIGHTLY adjusted. It's like they finished a great enviornment and then didn't know what to do with it so just duplicated the same missions 9x over and slapped on a half assed ending.

I played through the whole thing. It's fun, especially in small doses (amazingly, playing it in 9 or so 2hr sittings works extremely well. Couldn't have seen THAT coming). It's a solid game, but far from a great one. 7.0/10 or maybe 7.5/10 because it's pretty to look at.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Shizo

Postby Shizo » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:49 pm UTC

The pickpocket missions always made me lol. They don't even investigate to see who took their secret message.

I hate that I can scale a building to evade guards, being a trained assassin and all, then have them follow me up anyway. Or like, leaping from rooftop to rooftop and they'll clear the same jump I did.

It's fun to throw them off buildings, though. Except they survive unless it's a building similar to the sync towers. :?

[Edit]: I guess I should be used to it, what with the robocops in Oblivion.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:37 pm UTC

did anybody even find a friggin use for all those daggers either? I kept wanting to snipe or something and it was totally useless. If I'm going to get close, I'll just stabby stabby anyway.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Shizo

Postby Shizo » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:52 am UTC

mosc wrote:did anybody even find a friggin use for all those daggers either? I kept wanting to snipe or something and it was totally useless. If I'm going to get close, I'll just stabby stabby anyway.

Helped on the Save the Citizen side-quests/brawls. Take out like 4 or 5 guards from a roof then rush the remaining guards. I can usually take out the archers on the roof before they see me or I get close enough to assassinate them.

Pandercolour

Postby Pandercolour » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:58 am UTC

mosc wrote:did anybody even find a friggin use for all those daggers either? I kept wanting to snipe or something and it was totally useless. If I'm going to get close, I'll just stabby stabby anyway.

I did. I loved using those things! I usually sued them to take out charging enemies before they messed up my combos.

Not an Evil Robot

Postby Not an Evil Robot » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:39 am UTC

I loved the assassinating, but there was very little of that =(

However the counter kills kept me entertained enough to finish the game.
I used the knifes only during the assassination where you had to the multiple people, I would stand on the roof above them and just snipe them and run off.

grythyttan
Location: Hncwhxagykozzqlif azefkbtvw. Kjkd sb, ypwyw eg tdpm.

Postby grythyttan » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:27 pm UTC

I had a lot of fun trying to fight with the hidden blade alone. You can only use counderattacks and stab people on the ground, and you can't block anything.

Another fun thing is to go to one of the castles (can't remember which one) and kill everyone in it, including the annoying as hell beggars and the fuckers who keep pushing you (but if you even nudge them the guards will slaughter your ass).

I mean, they deserve a lot of cred for the way they designed those people annoying enough that you have to restrain yourself from stabbing them in the face.

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:59 pm UTC

grythyttan wrote: (but if you even nudge them the guards will slaughter your ass).

Not true! Guards won't do anything if you punch them!
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

Otis

Postby Otis » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:31 pm UTC

Can you kill someone by just punching them? And if so will the guards bum rush you if you do?

Return to “Gaming”