I need a Game Recommendation

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

incas

Re: Recommend ME a game (Merged:Several Similar Threads)

Postby incas » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:34 pm UTC

Is this thread still on?

I'm very fidgety. But I like to watch stuff, like movies and anime and so on. But I'm really fidgety. For the lack of anything to do with my hands while watching stuff, I have now more or less exhausted the possibilities of solitaire. What I'd like is a game to fidget with while I watch something. Preferably something without sound that won't kill itself if I suddenly stop playing to watch, and simple enough that won't make me drop the watching to focus entirely on it.

Any luck?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:54 pm UTC

If you don't already have a handheld (like a PSP or a DS) get one. If you do, get some turn-based strategy games for those.

Final Fantasy Tactics A2 (DS)
Advanced War Series (Gameboy Advance/DS)
Final Fantasy Tactics (PSP)
.. I'm not well versed enough in the PSP realm to know what else they have, but I'm sure it's there. With turn based games especially, sound usually isn't that important.

Alternately, get something like those interlocking wood puzzles or Tavern/Blacksmith Puzzles as that will give you something to do with your hands that might not even require your full attention.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:41 pm UTC

I imagine there are plenty of flash game type things that meet your requirements. Stuff like Bejeweled, simple puzzle type games.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

halbarad

Postby halbarad » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:28 pm UTC

I just finished playing Red Alert 3 for the second time (Hard mode instead of Medium as I did the first time) and I'm going to move onto something else. I look to the xkcd crowd to help suggest something, options I have are:

1) Final Fantasy 7 (for the nth time, but it's so good I keep going back to it)
2) XBox or 360 game, I like RPGs and some FPSs
3) PC game, I prefer RTS on PC
4) PS2 game, Similar to XBox/360

I have a Gamecube and access to a Wii but I don't really want to play either console.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:35 pm UTC

Have you played FF XII? It's pretty good.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

halbarad

Postby halbarad » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:39 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Have you played FF XII? It's pretty good.

I got most of the way through it and can't remember why I stopped. I may go back to that.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:44 pm UTC

You know, I've always had a craving for a kind of strategy game that I don't think I've ever found. No need to have all of these characteristics in the same game, but I'm just listing a few things I've looked for in games: complex resource management (Settlers II comes to mind); building complex things, mechanisms, buildings, connecting things, creating networks of stuff, making stuff work, making stuff that doesn't work and learning how to fix it; making mistakes and facing its consequences (i.e. I'm beginning to hate stuff like Call of Duty in which you have to try millions of times to do EXACTLY what it expects you to do. I'd like to make decisions that will largely affect the game later on, instead of being bullied into doing ONLY what it wants me to do); having little to NO focus on war and combat (competition is ok, but it'd be better to have NO war. I like focusing on creating and constructing things, not on destroying them).

Stuff that gets pretty close to that are Chris Sawyer's games, i.e. Transport Tycoon and Rollercoaster Tycoon - both of which RULE and are immensely fun to play. I'd like something like that, but bigger, grander, more complex and exciting. Civilization has too much war (sometimes it gives me no other option) and is way too abstract. I like puttng my hands on the real stuff and working them out. I like resource management. I like producing things, transforming one thing into the other and making networks of that stuff (yeah, like Settlers, but with a little more control). Some games seem to boast on how it has only ONE resource to handle and little to no micromanagement. I basically want the opposite. And, if possible, no combat and no war. I can't stress that enough.

War and combat CAN be fun, though, if I can think before acting. I hate real time strategies that rely on my skill of being fast and accurate enough with my clicking. If it's more tactical, it's ok.

I know, it's A LOT of stuff. I just let my imagination fly here, because I don't do that too often. :)

EDIT: Don't need to be a new, ultra-modern game with supah-kewl graphics. But, please, NO Dwarf Fortress. Minimalism is ok, but that thing hurts my eyes.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:14 pm UTC

There are tilesets for DF.....

That said, did you ever give the old Railroad Tycoon a go? There's also Open Transport Tycoon which apparently has some upgrades to it. Simutranss is another transport oriented simulator. There's Democracy and it's sequel which I keep hearing things about and should really try one of these days...
Might look in to Majesty, but that might be more combat oriented than what you're looking for.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:17 pm UTC

Have you played the various city building games? Notably, Pharoah, Zeus: Master of Olympus and Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom.

They might have what you want.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:20 pm UTC

I've played Railroad Tycoon Deluxe some years ago and I liked it. Never managed to get too deep into it, but I might try. As for OpenTTD, yeah, that's been my choice for playing Transport Tycoon. I really liked the improvements. I also remember hearing about Simutrans, but I've given a look at the main page and I'm really interested now. I'll try the suggestions as soon as I can. Thanks a lot! :)

PS: Yeah, I tried the Dwarf Fortress tilesets, but my gripe is with how there's a million billion things to look out for on those cluttered confusing maps. And I have played ASCII roguelike games, without having that problem.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:44 pm UTC

The way I finally learned DF was to basically just ignore everything I didn't understand. Which meant my first dozen fortresses failed in spectacular manners. (Which is kinda the point)

You might even want to edit the data\init\init.txt file to change
[VARIED_GROUND_TILES:YES] to
[VARIED_GROUND_TILES:NO]

So that the ground is just displayed as . instead of a mix of ,.'` which may help the cluttered aspect of it. Of course, if you're using a tileset, I don't think that even applies.

Really, just start a fortress and concentrate on understanding how farming works. Screw everything else, just get to where you understand how fields work and how to operate them for each season. Then on your next fortress, start in on figuring out just a few workshops - mason's, carpenter's, and craftsdwarf's are good ones to start on - masonry being how pretty much every piece of furniture, doors, floodgates, hatches and the like that isn't a bed is made, carpentry on how bins, barrels, buckets, and beds work. Craftsdwarf would be the most complex of those, simply due to the number of materials and professions involved in it (Bonecarving, Woodcarving, and Stonecarving)

Then there's the chains... You need a Butcher's shop to get raw skin (and meat and bones, but we'll get to that).. you need a tanner's shop to turn the raw skin into leather, and you need leather for the (wait for it..) leatherworker's shop. Getting cloth is even more complicated if you aren't sure what to do - basically, you grow Pig Tails in a field, build a Farmer's Workshop and Process Plants (not to bags, barrels, or vials, just standard processing) to make Pig Tail Thread. You then need a loom and a dwarven weaver to weave the thread into cloth... finally you have Pig Tail Cloth suitable for the Clothmaker's shop.

Let's not even get started on Glassmaking or Metalworking just yet.....

I guess what I'm saying is that if you fire up DF and try to understand everything all at once, you're going to fail. Your fortress will start starving to death, some dwarves will die, and even if you fix the immediate starvation problem, in a small fortress one death when everyone else is just content can start off a depression spiral that ends with dwarves going insane - which ends in more deaths (either via suicide or homicide) which just furthers the depression and results in the entire fortress going from what appeared to be a happy, healthy workforce of 45 to a depressed, insane trio of dwarves running around babbling until they finally throw themselves into a river and drown.

micco

Postby micco » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:52 pm UTC

So, should I get the US version of Dementium: The ward, or should I wait for the european release?
Also, are there any good point n' click type games for the DS, something like Monkey Island?
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:33 pm UTC

micco wrote:So, should I get the US version of Dementium: The ward, or should I wait for the european release?
Also, are there any good point n' click type games for the DS, something like Monkey Island?
If you have any kind of fondness for those games, you must play Hotel Dusk: Room 215. It is brilliant. Plus it's been re-released on a budget label. Its predecessor, Trace Memory, is not quite as well regarded.

The Pheonix Wright (and Apollo Justice) games are also very much point 'n' click games that you will surely enjoy.

Apparently some people do like Time Hollow, but the reviews it has gotten are rather lackluster.

micco

Postby micco » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:15 pm UTC

Hotel Dusk looks very interesting. Unfortunately, we don't have any kind of "butget label" thing for DS games here in Finland, the cheapest I could find was 35€. But I will definitely get that game later.
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:33 am UTC

Can any one help me with this?
-MMO
-PVP heavy, very "open" PVP
-free
-preferably system light
-fun
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:36 am UTC

Babam, the problem here is that there is a venn diagram involved.

Some games are MMOs,
Some games are Free

The number of free MMOs are very small (most have paid-features you "have" to pay for, or it is not worth playing the game at all).

Of the games that I can think of that even come close, your options would be:
Gunz the duel
Combat Arms
Gunbound
Rakion
Infantry Online

Of these, almost all of them require you to "buy" in-game items if you want to be competitive (gunz doesn't let you get the best guns. gunbound doesn't let you get the best equipment, rakion doesn't let you get the best equipment). And all of these are korean games (koreans love their "free, but not really" MMOs).

Your best bet would be "infantry online". It is a top-down capture the flag (or kill the man with the ball, or capture the point, or any number of other competative modes), 3rd person shooter. All PvP focused, absolutely free, able to run on a 1.5ghz computer with 32 megs of video memory at full settings and still looking rather good, and really rather fun.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:42 am UTC

Actually, it's much simpler than Mr. Dissident is making it seems.
All MMOs are in one of the following categories:
Fun
Free
Neither

You can find MMOs in all of those categories that have the other characteristics.

This is, of course, assuming you mean MMO in the traditional sense. If not, Quake Live is coming soon. As is Battlefield Heroes.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

freeqaz

MMO games like EV:Nova?

Postby freeqaz » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:53 pm UTC

I'm looking for games that are like EV:Nova that are MMO. Anyone know any? LD
GENERATION 22: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:03 pm UTC

I think I missed one thing in my list:
Fantasy setting
I like WoW's PVP, but I also like the non Carebear UO style of loot and run and what not.
I know Darkfall is coming, but I have a major PVP itch that I want to scratch.
Last edited by Babam on Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:38 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:06 am UTC

FreeQaz you have three options that I know of
Subspace/Continuum: http://www.getcontinuum.com/ (some levels have MMORPG elements, and it is the closest gameplay-wise to EV:Nova
Hostile Space: https://www.hostilespace.com/Portal/browserreq.asp (MMORPG set in a 2d space game. But does not have similar controls to EV:Nova
Solaris Online: http://www.solarisgame.com (honestly, haven't had a chance to sit down and play it, but they say they are like subspace, and found it recently on one of my open-beta listings).

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:12 pm UTC

micco wrote:Hotel Dusk looks very interesting. Unfortunately, we don't have any kind of "butget label" thing for DS games here in Finland, the cheapest I could find was 35€. But I will definitely get that game later.
In regards to DS adventure games, this Theresia: Dear Emile thing sounds pretty cool too.

Buttons

Postby Buttons » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:00 pm UTC

I'm looking for a good single-player game for the Wii. I've played (and enjoyed) Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, Metroid Prime 3, Okami, and Zack & Wiki. I'm not really into FPSs, but otherwise I'm flexible.

Suggestions?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:30 pm UTC

No More Heros?

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:10 pm UTC

de Blob? Geometry Wars Galaxies?
Spoiler:

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Turtle_

Postby Turtle_ » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:21 am UTC

I want to get The Orange Box and was wondering wheter I should buy the physical game or buy it through steam. Seeing as how it's $20 in the store comprared to $30 online, I'm thinking buying from the store would be better. Plus, there's the advantage of actually having the CD and such. I'm just wondering if there is any compelling reason why it would be better the other way.
"Sometimes lies were more dependable than the truth." ~ Ender's Game
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge." ~ Charles Darwin

aion7

Postby aion7 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:56 am UTC

As far as I know, they are the same.
Spoiler:

internets++ for aion7.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:49 pm UTC

If you can get the physical copy cheaper, do so. There is no difference between the versions. In fact, you can just input the CD keys from the physical box and snap the disks in two and it will be quite-literally the same as if you just bought it online (it adds them to your account, and steam allows you to re-install any program added to your account from their servers).

Not that you should break the phyiscal copy, just that its the exact same thing... Ah, you get my point.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:30 pm UTC

And of course even if you install it from discs, you'll have to download several hundred megabytes worth of updates before you can play.

Twenty dollars! What a bargain! You might want to spend the savings on Aquaria, a smashing game that recently appeared on Steam that is available for $15.99 until the end of the year. I've seen it compared to Super Metroid. (The $39 pre-Steam price tag might have hindered its popularity until now.)

Kerberos

Postby Kerberos » Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:27 am UTC

My brother and I are looking for a game to play with each other over the Internet, and I was wondering if any of you could recommend one. It would have to run on Windows XP and an Intel Mac, which probably limits the selection considerably. We would prefer something like Myst 1-4, puzzle games where there isn't any time pressure, or something turn-based. Really, anything where it's easy for two people to stay in the same tracks would be good, where one of us could say after the fact, "I flipped the amber lever," and the other person could just click the amber lever and receive the same results. Alternatively, things we could play cooperatively, like Diablo 2, would work.

So cross-platform thing where it's easy to follow the leader or play cooperatively. If it has really low system requirements, I could just run it on a virtual machine, actually, so that would be as good as cross-platform. Any ideas?

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:08 pm UTC

The battle for wesnoth, turn based strategy game, multiplayer, free:
http://www.wesnoth.org/
Infantry Online, top down 3rd-person-shooter capture the flag type game, multiplayer, free:
http://www.station.sony.com/casualProduct.vm?Id=039
Soldat, 2d shooter, multiplayer, free:
http://www.soldat.pl/
Pontifex/bridgebuilder/bridgeit, bridge-building puzzle game, non-multiplayer, non-free:
http://www.chroniclogic.com/
Dominions 3, turn based strategy game, multiplayer, extremely complicated (warning), non-free:
http://www.dominions3.com/

Kerberos

Postby Kerberos » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:07 am UTC

Thanks! I'll see if I can get Soldat to run on a virtual machine. In case it doesn't work out, does anyone else have suggestions? Large-scale strategy games sort of turn me off, I guess. I hope I don't sound whiny and picky.

Buttons

Postby Buttons » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:52 am UTC

A few of my favorite puzzle games of all time sound right up your alley, but they're all quite old and will probably require emulation on someone's part. There's a freeware Mac emulator for Windows linked from the first game, so that's worth a try. Anyway, the games are System's Twilight, 3 in Three, and The Fool's Errand.

Deadly Rooms of Death is probably worth a look too, and is also better supported on the systems you're running. I can recommend some level sets if you'd like.

Kaneda

Postby Kaneda » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:17 pm UTC

incas wrote:Is this thread still on?

I'm very fidgety. But I like to watch stuff, like movies and anime and so on. But I'm really fidgety. For the lack of anything to do with my hands while watching stuff, I have now more or less exhausted the possibilities of solitaire. What I'd like is a game to fidget with while I watch something. Preferably something without sound that won't kill itself if I suddenly stop playing to watch, and simple enough that won't make me drop the watching to focus entirely on it.

Any luck?

Peggle I've linked the free extreme version with valve themed levels.

As for single player games on the Wii, I got really hooked on Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, and now Shadow Dragon on the DS. They don't use any of the fancy features of the wiimote but if you like turn based RPG combat games, they are rather good.

She

Postby She » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:15 pm UTC

Ok: I have just finished playing Silent Storm (only the Allies campaign, the Axis has too many Panzerkleins) and Silver. Do they have anything in common, and does anyone have another game that I would like?
She speaks in the third person
So she can forget that she's me

zerohero

Postby zerohero » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:27 am UTC

I would recommend the following games:
Grand Theft Auto (available on Xbox 360, PS3, and PC; I have it on PS3)
Bioshock (available on Xbox 360, PS3, and PC; I have it on PS3)
Bionic Commando Rearmed (available on Xbox 360, PS3, and PC; I have it on PS3)
Need for Speed undercover (PS3; not sure if it's on 360 or PC).
Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3).
Shin Megami Tensei (SNES)
Shin Megami Tensei 2 (SNES)
Shin Megmi Tensei if (SNES)
Okami (PS2, Wii)
Ninja Assault (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid (PS1)
Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of Liberty (PS3)
Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence (preferably not Snake Eater)
Chu Chu Rocket (Gameboy Advance)
Collumns Crown (Gameboy Advance)
Ninja Gaiden (NES)
Ninja Gaiden 2 (NES)
Ninja Gaiden 3 (NES)
Ninja Gaiden Sigma (PS3)

And the following game that has not been released yet, but that I know will be awesome when it comes out:
Resident Evil 5 (PS3, Xbox 360)
.narfNET - http://narf.byethost16.com
This is a personal site of mine catering to console emulators and other things of interest
.narfNET forums - http://narf.byethost16.com/forums
Give us a visit! We're always happy to accept new members

She

Postby She » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:44 pm UTC

Guess I whould have told you before, but I only have a PC. I could maybe find my old Game Boy Color, but I think I'd rather syick with computer games. Will look into Bioshock and Bionic Commando though.
She speaks in the third person
So she can forget that she's me

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:53 pm UTC

She, you can emulate the following systems easilly on a pc, Just look around a bit for programs that can do it.:
NES
SNES
Genesis
Gameboy
Gameboy Advance
Gameboy Color
PS1

Wooster

Postby Wooster » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:35 pm UTC

Don't know if anyone's recommended this, but it's hands down the hardest mmo/fps game out there: its vertical learning curve makes EVE look like Bejewelled. Can be very frustrating, there's guys playing have more stick time in ME 109s than real WWII aces...and no matter how good you get, a day one player can still kill you, or a destroyer can drop a 5" shell on you from 3 klicks away...you get access to more equipment, but you don't really level up, so your toons are ultimately only as good as you are.

No hit points, no health packs, no body armor, no bunny hopping, no circlestrafing; real physics and drivable historic tanks and aircraft models, huge map of N. Europe in 1/2 scale.

They often have free trials.

My handle's the same over there, so if you log in Axis, I'll do my level best to kill you this map.

http://www.battlegroundeurope.com/

yohanleafheart

Postby yohanleafheart » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:53 pm UTC

Since I just got it last week, and I've playing avidly and throughly enjoying (although I didn't like the #), I recommend Persona 4. Lovable characters, great story (although a bit cliché sometimes) with nice dialogs. And not too boring.
"When you gotta do something wrong, you gotta do it right." - Fighter - 8-bit Theatre
"Life is a bitch. But it is my bitch." - Slick - Sinfest

Kaneda

Postby Kaneda » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:25 pm UTC

Professor Leyton and the curious village is a pretty nice DS game.

the puzzles are all easy, it's aimed at kids after all, but somehow it's quite compelling.

Return to “Gaming”