I need a Game Recommendation

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby aion7 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:13 am UTC

Yeah, CSS is definitely worth the $20, but if you hold out until the next sale, you can save $5 or $10.
Note: I have no idea about pricing in non-US areas.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Dropzone

Postby Dropzone » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:22 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:
headprogrammingczar wrote:you can buy Half Life 2: Death Match
I think it's free at the moment if you have an ATI or nVidia card (i.e. if your computer is remotely equipped to be playing 3D games).
It is, assuming that these links still work (I can't really test them because I already have the games in question on my account): ATI, Nvidia.

Canineteeth

Postby Canineteeth » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:04 am UTC

Dropzone wrote:
Jorpho wrote:
headprogrammingczar wrote:you can buy Half Life 2: Death Match
I think it's free at the moment if you have an ATI or nVidia card (i.e. if your computer is remotely equipped to be playing 3D games).
It is, assuming that these links still work (I can't really test them because I already have the games in question on my account): ATI, Nvidia.

I'm buying a version the comes with HL2 Deathmatch (http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Product ... t_id=40488).
No good to get Hl2 DM, intergrated graphics (hence the low req games).

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:29 am UTC

Doesn't CS:S have similar requirements to HL2:DM, being based on the same engine?

Jar'O'Jam

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:46 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:Doesn't CS:S have similar requirements to HL2:DM, being based on the same engine?

Yes, the system requirements seem identical
Minimum: 1.2 GHz Processor, 256MB RAM, DirectX 7 level graphics card, Windows 2000/XP, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

Recommended: 2.4 GHz Processor, 512MB RAM, DirectX 9 level graphics card, Windows 2000/XP, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:55 pm UTC

The GPU versions of HL2:DM don't come with the Source SDK, so you can't play mods. Nice try though.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Canineteeth

Postby Canineteeth » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:16 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:Doesn't CS:S have similar requirements to HL2:DM, being based on the same engine?

I ment getting it free because of the nVidia / ATI offer.

Firnagzen

Postby Firnagzen » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:18 am UTC

Hey guys. Recommend me an MMORPG?

Well. The thing is, there's a certain... feel that I feel many MMORPGs lack. One factor is the scale of the worlds; in most MMORPGs, the world is very well known and every inch is carefully mapped. I've only ever come across a few game which actually give the sense of a huge scale, Anarchy Online and Tibia. The worlds are so huge and detailed that it's next-to-impossible to find any one person who can say he's visited every point in the world, and even then, there are inaccessible, though viewable, and possessed of content locations; potential secrets.

Other preferences? Well, I like well developed magic systems. (I'm nearly always the glass cannon) Free or pay-as-you play would be nice, since I'll only be playing on weekends.
Life may suck, but there's nothing else to do.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:40 pm UTC

What were your first MMOs?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Faust06

skill-based MMO

Postby Faust06 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:19 pm UTC

I've tried the most popular of these glorified social networks, including WOW, and I've just about given up on them. The gameplay is founded on mundane mindnumbing grind (like most rpgs, I guess), and I can't get passed that. I thought EVE would best remedy this with it's sheer depth and variety, but it's worse in fact. Time-based leveling/skill-learning is awful in practice, traveling takes forever, and combat is duller than it is in WOW. All other career paths are even worse.. can you imagine "mining" being a fun passtime? It makes Harvest Moon feel like Contra. Granted, I'm well aware of the positive press the game's received for certain feats players have accomplished, but the bottom line is I feel like I'm wasting my time more than having fun. I got bored of Diablo quickly as well, which is as fast-paced as hack/slash rpgs get... clickity-click-click.

I do like customization, collection and co-op as much as the next guy, but come on. I need a more solid foundation than that, though apparently millions of WOW subscribers sure as hell don't. To each his own.

I think strategy games and fighters (like GGAC and SFIV) are my favorite online passtimes. The social aspect is downplayed significantly, though. It's not terribly important, but it would be nice to find a network game with a medium (gameplay) that suits my tastes, which basically amounts to something that requires more concentration than you'd ask from a goldfish. Something more competitive.

As far as I can tell, my best bet is to be active in forums. So far I haven't found any semblance of a world map for player-to-player interaction/fighting/trading in such a game. You go straight to competition.. maybe that's how it should be. Anyway, let me know if you have any suggestions. I want the best of both worlds, really.

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Re: skill-based MMO

Postby Dasboard » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:41 pm UTC

I think Rakion is what you're looking for.

Of what I've heard about it, all you need is skill and brains. It's PvP only so a lot of competition.

Only downside is that every now and then people cheat.

Even better, it's free.
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

nickasummers

Postby nickasummers » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:32 pm UTC

Baldur's Gate I & II, System Shock II (I can't make it run :,( )

Canineteeth

Re: skill-based MMO

Postby Canineteeth » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:55 am UTC

Fasut, tried Guild Wars? Level cap is 20 and takes a month of casual play through the slowest storyline, or literally a day if you know how (2 if you know how but don't feel like trying). If you don't like the pve (and its award winning artists, seriously, its beautiful) then you can roll a pvp character. It starts as a level 20 with max armor and a couple of skills. You can even do both (anything unlocked on a pve character is available to a pvp character). Highend pve is mostly about having the correct gear & skills and you team also having those. Highend pvp is a lot about being able to work as a team and reflexes / reacting to the situation fast. Even more if you are the interrupter. Just look at this video (not mine) of GvG (most prestigious form of pvp). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFWvdyCk ... re=related
Only real bummer is that skill sets usually used (maximum of 8 skills at a time, hence strategy) have skills form all campaigns, which is 70-120$.

neoteric

Postby neoteric » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:55 pm UTC

I'm looking for a game that I can spend medium amounts of time on (think half hour to an hour a day) with and still advance at a reasonable pace. The genre isn't limited to a FPS or MMORPG or anything like that, but I have always liked advancing tangibly as opposed to just getting better. Games I have enjoyed in the past include WoW, Continuum (space shooter formerly known as Subspace or Sniper), Diablo II, Warcraft III, KotoR I and II, Unreal Tournament, and Gunbound. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

As an aside, what are this thread's opinions on EVE? The idea of economy on a massive scale seems interesting me, as I always enjoyed the economic aspects of games (Runescape economy gave me an erection, while the gameplay mechanics rendered me completely flacid).

Tanks.

nickasummers

Postby nickasummers » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:25 pm UTC

I'm looking for a game that I can spend medium amounts of time on (think half hour to an hour a day)

Does anyone else consider anything less than 2 hours short, or is it just me?

neoteric

Postby neoteric » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:42 pm UTC

nickasummers wrote:Does anyone else consider anything less than 2 hours short, or is it just me?

I think what a lot of people consider normal is a lot more than what should be considered normal.

Jar'O'Jam

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:57 am UTC

Howdy!

I'm looking for a MMO or a multiplayer game which is fun, addictive, free to play and has no in-game shop that gives an unfair advantage to those who prefer to spend cash. When it comes to genre, I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for - certainly not a kids game - I've tried MMOFPS of different kinds - Gunz, AVA, Battlefield Heroes, Quake Live, but quit each one for different reasons, although I'm expecting Huxley and I remember that Face of Mankind was quite interesting, so I'm planning on creating an account again.
I doubt that I would be interested in grind-based MMORPGs, especially those Korean ones, you know, which, despite having different names and slight differences still look the same - especially the in-game font.
Never tried any MMORTS, but I'm afraid I would be terrible at those. I don't mind beating AI's ass, though :)
Sports MMOs ? I loved GONG Online up until that point when European community disappeared and game support vanished somewhere and Kicks Online is scripted as hell. There's a great hockey game @ http://hockey.tk/, though it has a steep learning curve.

So, any suggestions ? I would be really grateful.
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

Krong

Postby Krong » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:40 am UTC

neoteric wrote:I'm looking for a game that I can spend medium amounts of time on (think half hour to an hour a day) with and still advance at a reasonable pace. The genre isn't limited to a FPS or MMORPG or anything like that, but I have always liked advancing tangibly as opposed to just getting better. Games I have enjoyed in the past include WoW, Continuum (space shooter formerly known as Subspace or Sniper), Diablo II, Warcraft III, KotoR I and II, Unreal Tournament, and Gunbound. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Could you be more specific with what you mean by "advance"? That seems to be hinting at your interests, which otherwise are kind of vaguely described. You're asking for a good game of any genre (though leaning RPG?) in which some amount of progress in story or character ability can be made in an hour's time, which easily covers most good games.
The answer to the question "What’s wrong with the world?" is just two words: "I am." -- G. K. Chesterton (attributed)

Jar'O'Jam

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:25 am UTC

neoteric wrote:I'm looking for a game that I can spend medium amounts of time on (think half hour to an hour a day) with and still advance at a reasonable pace. The genre isn't limited to a FPS or MMORPG or anything like that, but I have always liked advancing tangibly as opposed to just getting better. Games I have enjoyed in the past include WoW, Continuum (space shooter formerly known as Subspace or Sniper), Diablo II, Warcraft III, KotoR I and II, Unreal Tournament, and Gunbound. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

As an aside, what are this thread's opinions on EVE? The idea of economy on a massive scale seems interesting me, as I always enjoyed the economic aspects of games (Runescape economy gave me an erection, while the gameplay mechanics rendered me completely flacid).

Tanks.

How about Torchlight ?

Serrin

Postby Serrin » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:03 am UTC

I need something competitive, multiplayer, but that can be played productively solo. It should have advancement, but not be a korean grindfest. It should have PvP elements, or at least really, really deep PvE. That is, you can't faceroll your way through it like WoW. Something like a turn-based game with advancement or persistence, or maybe a TCG/CCG, or an MMO with a real maverick streak in it. Also, it'd be nice if it wasn't twitch/actions per minute based like Planetside or WC3.

Not EVE. Also probably not Guild Wars. Guild Wars is under serious consideration, but I'd like for some other things to be on the list.

Anyone got anything? Thanks in advance.

Canineteeth

Postby Canineteeth » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:31 am UTC

Serrin wrote:Not EVE. Also probably not Guild Wars. Guild Wars is under serious consideration, but I'd like for some other things to be on the list.

Honestly, you basically defined Guild Wars in almost every trait except for the persistence (argueable). I think the website offers a trial, which you should try. I'll look over each point. Competitive: Alliance versus Alliance (which you can go to solo and just join a pick up group), Jade Quarry / Fort Aspenwood (it doesn't let you join in parties), two or three modes of lower end PvP, one mode of basically worshipped pvp (this is in addition to the previously mentioned ones, which are all forms of pvp), and some challenge missions have leaderboards. Multiplayer + Solo: I played through most of the storyline by myself, with the exception of some missions. There is hundreds of way to farm (which is optional) with solo and team builds. Advancement is really in knowing what combination of 8 skills out of the 200 you might have will work. PvP. . . see before. Deep PvE? Each campaign is epic by itself (one of the few games to give me an Oshi- moment). Not a real TCG, but the skill system is based on Magic: The Gathering. Maverick Streak: Breaking from the full world persistence / subscription model.

In other words, you should really try it until you find some more options.

Filigree

Postby Filigree » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:28 am UTC

My favorite part in gaming is, without fail, exploring the in-game world and testing the limits of what I can and cannot do, which means I love open-ended games and sandbox-style stuff, but equally as much, I like to be able to get into the feel that the game provides. One of my favorite things to do in a game, actually, is to talk to the NPCs.

Games I've played and really loved - any console Zelda game (a bit linear, but oh man is there exploring to do, especially in Wind Waker), Oblivion and Fallout 3 (Fallout being probably the best game I've ever played in terms of the exploration/experimentation potential and the atmosphere), the Sims (though I tend to use my families for... experiments.. rather than actually playing them like a normal person), Call of Cthulhu (which I'd play more often, but it's all about finding someone who knows how to run a campaign), and Shadows over Camelot (which I love for its sheer difficulty and entertainment value).
Games I've heard of/seen and oh boy I want to play - Mass Effect 1/2 (science-fiction RPG-action-adventure with social dynamics yay), Paranoia (I've only heard tales, and I don't know if I can find people who will, ah, DM it, but sure sounds interesting), Persona 3 (which I technically played, but only for a little bit. I'd love to get further into the storyline), and BioShock (played a teaser of the game on someone's PS3 a while back - nice atmosphere, and from what I've heard, really interesting storyline).
My gaming equipment is pitiful - a Mac, a Gamecube, a DS, and a Gameboy, although I have friends who are well-equipped. Something online would be amazing, although I doubt I'll be able to find something like what I have in mind - this sort of stuff eats up a lot of resources in terms of memory and processing ability. But shoot, I'll take what I can get. Disclaimer here: online multiplayer games are so incredibly not my thing. I hate having to be competitive in order to go places and do things, and I'm generally not online often enough to be cooperative.

On a maybe-not-related note, I'd probably play more tabletop RPGs if I could set up campaigns myself, but I feel like I'm not creative or innately social enough to do so. Any tips on, er, getting better at that? Resources, maybe?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:16 am UTC

I just wrote a review of Santarium in which I noted the quality of its NPCs. Might not be your cup of tea, given its age, but it definitely won't tax your system:
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/sanita ... tarium.htm

The other thing that comes to mind as far as "reams and reams of NPC dialog" is concerned is Planescape Torment. There's a thread about it here. And as it is ten years old, it is thoroughly system-friendly. Bit tricky to find, though.

Serrin

Postby Serrin » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:29 pm UTC

Filigree - You seem to have a bit of a theme going on with your games there, namely games that braingently caress you. In that vein, and because you have a gamecube, I cannot help but recommend Eternal Darkness. Also, I'll second Planescape: Torment as one of the best RPGs ever. It's only a little explorey, but it's extremely thinky and talky.

As far as setting up your own tabletop games, all I can say is that for every person giving what I consider good advice, there's at least five giving what I consider bad advice. Of course, that's very subjective and the whole point is you need to just learn your group's preferences, and hone your craft maybe a teensy bit. But mostly the first thing. Unless you plan on changing groups frequently (and god help you if you do), the main things to do are a) play lots of games b) (attempt to) run lots of games and c) talk about games a lot.

I mean, you wouldn't look for resources online on how to hang out with your friends. You'd get a lot of general advice that's useless, and a lot of helpful, specific advice that only applies if you're friends with James Q. Stinkford IV, Esq. Same thing applies to DMing really. Just throw enough stuff at the wall and find out what sticks on your local wall section.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:35 am UTC

Filigree, I would suggest the PC DnD based games like Icewind Dale, and Planescape Torment for character interactions and fairly free combat, and Mount and Blade for openness. Mount and Blade is totally open, with exploration (you can see the full map from the start, but going places, fighting in different battles recruiting soldiers and improving relations with various lords is the fun of it) character growth and "story" (you can befriend whoever you want, sack any village buy and sell goods, join armies, etc.). It also has a wealth of interesting mods. It may be a bit of a pain to run on a Mac, but it's graphics aren't exactly cutting edge, so it's possible it could be bootcamp'd. Disclaimer: I know nothing about Macs, so I could be horribly off here.

Of course there's also the obvious Metroid Prime on Cube, and Fusion on GBA. Few games reach Metroid levels of awesomeness in exploration and atmosphere. Similarly, there's the Castlevanias on GBA and DS, which focus more on RPG growth and combat than exploration and environment, although they are no slouches in those departments.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Krong

Postby Krong » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:34 am UTC

Filigree, if you're interested in RPGs on the Mac, you might enjoy Geneforge or Avernum. They're not quite my cup of tea, but others in my family enjoyed them immensely. They're very much in the old-school vein, with lots of story and conversation text.

Dittos on the Metroid Primes and Mass Effect (haven't played 2 yet, but I'm sure it's good as well.) If you have access to a Wii or PS2 and a little luck in finding it, buy Okami.

Finally, I'd recommend Escape Velocity: Nova, also for Mac. It's a top-down 2d space game with heavy RPG elements, and it's one of those games that you find yourself accidentally playing for an hour longer than you meant to. My only problem with it is that I liked its predecessor better, but that game (EV: Override) is probably hard to buy and install nowadays.
The answer to the question "What’s wrong with the world?" is just two words: "I am." -- G. K. Chesterton (attributed)

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:05 am UTC

Krong wrote:My only problem with it is that I liked its predecessor better, but that game (EV: Override) is probably hard to buy and install nowadays.
It's only hard to buy in the sense that Ambrosia's prices are utterly senseless:
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evo/

Krong

Postby Krong » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:48 am UTC

:shock: I think that's the same price it was released at... like 10 years ago.
Well, at least that game is perfectly playable without paying the shareware fee.

Axman

Postby Axman » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:03 pm UTC

I'd like to review a recent RPG that's not a big title, something that hasn't gotten enough press. Suggestions?

Jar'O'Jam

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:15 pm UTC

Axman wrote:I'd like to review a recent RPG that's not a big title, something that hasn't gotten enough press. Suggestions?

Avernum 6 ?

Axman

Postby Axman » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:39 am UTC

Perfect!

phillips101

Postby phillips101 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:16 pm UTC

Even though most of the discussion on this page is about open-ended RPGs, I think I'll risk repeating the request more geared at my own interests.

I love Morrowind and Oblivion. And also Fallout 3. I like having a huge and interesting world to explore (so far in Mass Effect 2 for instance, I've found everything interminably dull and samey). I like having open ended quest lines (another reason why Mass Effect 2 isn't that great IMO) and free reign to do whatever the hell I like. Strangely, as I don't much like FPS games, I think playing from 1st person perspective works very well in Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3. I also like imaginative quests. This is one of the reasons I slightly prefer Oblivion to Morrowind - the Thieve's Guild, Brotherhood and Shivering Isles (at the beginning, anyway) quests are fantastic. Whereas in Morrowind, all sidequests boil down to 'fetch this' or 'protect him while he runs wildly into the lava at every opportunity'.

So yeah. Basically take every reason why people like Bethesda, and recommend me another game with it all crammed in?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:47 pm UTC

Planescape: Torment again?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:02 pm UTC

Yeah, really.. if you're wanting an RPG that isn't essentially "Grind for 20 hours here, kill this thing, grind 20 hours there, kill this thing" like even Baldur's Gate was, but want something with a compelling story and generally weird shit going on...

Planescape:Torment. Just be warned.. it's very very talky with Baldur's Gate or less level voice acting (In quantity, not quality. Quality is generally good). Like, makes Morrowind and Oblivion together look like they have the conversational depth of Diablo. And the only thing set in stone about your character is... you're male and have a bunch of scars. How much of a dick you are is up to you. How honest you are is up to you. Rather than the Good/Neutral/Evil trifecta of responses, you usually have six or so to chose from, and two of them are often the same thing - one being the truth, one being a lie. [Example : I swear I will let no harm come to you (Truth) and I swear I will let no harm come to you (Lie)]

But it's very talky. If you played Baldur's Gate and often wish they'd shut up so you could get back to dungeon delving, you.. may want to skip this one. I mean, I forget the exact number, but there's less than 5 fights that have to be done in the game. Everything else can either be snuck by, talked out of, or just completely avoided because you aren't stupid and don't want to crawl around in a dank sewer in the hopes there's something shiny down there.

.. oh, and there's only three swords in the game, two of them require alignment (and opposing alignments at that) and the third can only be used by one person who isn't you.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:12 pm UTC

I wish more RPGs had real choices like you're describing. Neverwinter Nights did a pretty good job of that. I recall walking into a random house, and meeting a mom and daughter. There were lots of dialogue options, but a few stood out at me. When asked why you were in their house, claim to be a guard. Then, when asked about being a guard, threaten to rough them up if they didn't give you money.

How awesome is that? You can threaten a child!
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:34 pm UTC

I'm going to go ahead and recommend NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer. Because I can. And it fits what Axman asked for.
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

Fin Archangel

Postby Fin Archangel » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:16 am UTC

I'm trying to find a good Final Fantasy/Golden Sun style RPG (small party, turn-based combat) with a good storyline, preferably fantasy-based, for the Nintendo DS.
If there is another game that plays differently but still has a good storyline I will try that as well.

Already played:
Chrono Trigger
FF 3/4/12RW
The World Ends With You (although it doesn't fit the genre)

Suggestions?
Spoiler:

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:32 am UTC

Everyone seems to like the DS Dragon Quest remakes. And if you haven't played the Mario & Luigi RPGs, they're really quite excellent.

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:33 am UTC

I was going to suggest Mother 3 but then I remembered that it was only released in Japan, officially at least. Anyway, for future reference, the genre's called jRPG.
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

Fin Archangel

Postby Fin Archangel » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:45 pm UTC

Not necessarily. If I understand the term correctly, jRPG refers to a type of storyline and has a very general connotation when it comes to game style. (for example, Infinite Space is considered jRPG and does not have the kind of system I am looking for.
Spoiler:

Return to “Gaming”