I need a Game Recommendation

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

ian

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby ian » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:23 am UTC

Played Starcraft, and Warcrafts 1 & 2 and didn't really like 3. Are there any other ____crafts??

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:59 am UTC

There's Starcraft 2 and WoW, but you will likely not enjoy either of them.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

gamers2000

Postby gamers2000 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:38 pm UTC

ian wrote:Played Starcraft, and Warcrafts 1 & 2 and didn't really like 3. Are there any other ____crafts??

Arts &

sorry,couldn't resist. Yes, you could. - ST

ian

Postby ian » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:16 pm UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:There's Starcraft 2 and WoW, but you will likely not enjoy either of them.

Is Starcarft 2 actually out yet? I watched a couple of beta videos and it looks maybe my thing. I loved the first starcraft.

thanksbastards

Postby thanksbastards » Mon May 03, 2010 6:42 am UTC

Eseell wrote:Resistance: Fall of Man had enjoyable split-screen multiplayer and can probably be had inexpensively now. I never played Resistance 2, though.

ok great, thanks! I am probably going to return bioshock 2 which i only got when I picked up the PS3 as I had heard so much about its goodness, but I have no idea if its my kind of game. actually I have no idea what my kind of game is, it has been a long time since I played anything but DDR or rock band. Last game I played through was Timesplitters: future perfect. had never played a co-op story game before, and man was that fun. when I heard there was a new one for PS3 I figured I would just pick it up. being able to play every rediculous baddy and a few random non game characters in multiplayer mode was awesome. If anyone out there is looking for a PS2 game, future perfect is your ticket. Anyway I cryed when I just checked out the wikipedia page saying it was on hold since last year. I also really enjoyed what I got to play of Prince of persia, sands of time on my laptop before it, with the disk in it , was stolen. I still have the bloody install CD tho, not terribly useful. Infamous sounded awesome in some game mag I read a year back, is it similar to POP?

sorry I rant, wrong thread, I'm like a gremlin, don't let me post after midnight!

Carolina

What's your favorite game? SUGGESTIONS AND WHY

Postby Carolina » Tue May 04, 2010 9:43 pm UTC

Hello,

Can someone recommend some games! I really like The sims type of games or games that you can build cities! Suggest any game and why!
“Because we don't think about future generations, they will never forget us" By Henrik Tikkanen. ;)

Jailbreak Unlock iPhone

Fin Archangel

Re: What's your favorite game? SUGGESTIONS AND WHY

Postby Fin Archangel » Tue May 04, 2010 10:19 pm UTC

Carolina wrote:Hello,

Can someone recommend some games! I really like The sims type of games or games that you can build cities! Suggest any game and why!

DotA players often call WC3 ladder 'base building.'

Joking aside try _____ Tycoon.
Spoiler:

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Tue May 04, 2010 10:59 pm UTC

And Rollercoaster Tycoon is the crowning jewel among them. Also, there's the Theme _____ series, most notably Theme Hospital. Good games.
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

Fin Archangel

Postby Fin Archangel » Tue May 04, 2010 11:13 pm UTC

Naurgul wrote:And Rollercoaster Tycoon is the crowning jewel among them. Also, there's the Theme _____ series, most notably Theme Hospital. Good games.

Ah, RCT...the hours of fun we had...
Spoiler:

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed May 05, 2010 2:26 am UTC

There's been an awful lot of stuff that looks like shovelware bearing the Tycoon name in recent years. Railroad Tycoon would surely be a likely candidate, though. And maybe Theme Hospital.

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Wed May 05, 2010 8:49 am UTC

Any of the Caesar and Pharaoh games, along with Master of Olympus: Zeus and Empire: Rise of the middle kingdom (all by the same company). I've only played Caesar III myself, and that was a demo, seems like the kinda game your after though.
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Wed May 05, 2010 1:27 pm UTC

Not strictly in your genre, but you will probably also enjoy the Civ series.
<Cheese> I love you

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed May 05, 2010 2:57 pm UTC

There's also Stronghold and the Settlers series. (Images from #2 and #5)
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri May 07, 2010 3:13 am UTC

Also Dawn of Discovery, also known as Anno 1404. I'd say it's a very good cross between the city building of games like sim city and the base building of RTSs.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri May 07, 2010 11:23 pm UTC

Seems Constructor is on sale over at GOG.com this weekend. Lots of fans of that one.

Veora

Postby Veora » Fri May 21, 2010 2:43 pm UTC

ian wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Dawn of War: Dark Crusade added in an element like that, where you take regions of the planet. Should be able to get it in Dawn of War Anthology, which has the original and first expansion, so you'd be able to play as all the races, not just the Tau and Necron.

Does this still have building in it? Played DOW II the other day and was very disappointed to find it was just taking control of units.

As a follow on from that, can anyone recommend a good recent RTS, with building?

There may be a completely obvious Civ #x answer to that, I haven't really kept up with PC gaming the last few years. I tried supreme commander (2?) but couldn't really get in to it.

edit: im quite happy trying out an older game, but only if it can be played windowed mode. tried to play AOEII earlier and it just looked hideous.

Yes, the first DoW Series is full base building, less squad focused as DoW2, more giant-army zerging!
<Witty and funny signature here>

neoteric

Postby neoteric » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:40 pm UTC

Running Linux and in want of an expansive game that will take me longer than one day to complete. Can be commercial or open-source. Preferably not a FPS.

Jar'O'Jam

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:23 pm UTC

neoteric wrote:Running Linux and in want of an expansive game that will take me longer than one day to complete. Can be commercial or open-source. Preferably not a FPS.

Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:09 am UTC

neoteric wrote:Running Linux and in want of an expansive game that will take me longer than one day to complete. Can be commercial or open-source. Preferably not a FPS.
Battle for Wesnoth? Reminds me of Fire Emblem, with hexes and fantasy races. Comes with a bunch of campaigns, some of which are quite lengthy.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:39 pm UTC

SoapyHobo wrote:

Any of the Caesar and Pharaoh games, along with Master of Olympus: Zeus and Empire: Rise of the middle kingdom (all by the same company). I've only played Caesar III myself, and that was a demo, seems like the kinda game your after though.

I've played Pharaoh and Cleopatra, and Caesar III. It just feels like Pharaoh and Cleopatra (cleopatra is the expansion to Pharaoh) is much more polished than Caesar III. I'd really recommend it over the latter, although they are both really good games.
Spoiler:

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Fernando876 wrote:I really recommend need for speed: shift, its an awesome racing, police pursuit game!, but i wouldnt get my hopes up for eye-candy graphics, since your computer doesnt have a very powerful GPU. but it runs fine on a 2 y/o laptop!. Hope this helps
Are you responding to the OP? From two years and 17 pages ago?
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Fin Archangel

Postby Fin Archangel » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:18 am UTC

What is a good DS game with lots of free-roam? A game similar perhaps to GTA: CW or, on the other spectrum, Harvest Moon? Basically anything with open-ended gameplay is great. Also, if there is a game where you fight an open-ended war (like Romance of the Three Kingdoms) style that'd be awesome too.

Games in this genre I've played:
HM, Rune Factory
Sims Urbz
Everything I mentioned
Spectral Forces Genesis
Magician's Quest
Spoiler:

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:34 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:
Fernando876 wrote:I really recommend need for speed: shift, its an awesome racing, police pursuit game!, but i wouldnt get my hopes up for eye-candy graphics, since your computer doesnt have a very powerful GPU. but it runs fine on a 2 y/o laptop!. Hope this helps
Are you responding to the OP? From two years and 17 pages ago?

Alright, I'm going to leave this as an example. If you see a post like Fernando's, just ignore it. Because I'm going to be deleting those. If you feel the urge to make a recommendation and the person you're talking to isn't basically the preceding post or within a few posts (I'm going to be making judgement calls here, so don't freak out too much) and you don't quote it, I'm probably going to delete your post. Because it's annoying.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

No301

Re: like fps games??

Postby No301 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:35 pm UTC

brent3salas wrote:I also bought my brand new computer, and one of my korean friends recommended me online game sites.
there are many high-quality games for fps, rpg, etc. personally, i enjoy fps like COD6, A.V.A.
so check it out! :wink:

If your looking for a good looking FPS that is very realistic you could try ARMA 2. I even has a demo if you want to try before you buy.
Or try Team Fortress 2 for its run and gun insanity.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
Rick Cook, The Wizardry Compiled

jaraarph

Postby jaraarph » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:38 pm UTC

Fin Archangel wrote:What is a good DS game with lots of free-roam? A game similar perhaps to GTA: CW or, on the other spectrum, Harvest Moon? Basically anything with open-ended gameplay is great. Also, if there is a game where you fight an open-ended war (like Romance of the Three Kingdoms) style that'd be awesome too.

Games in this genre I've played:
HM, Rune Factory
Sims Urbz
Everything I mentioned
Spectral Forces Genesis
Magician's Quest

Pokemon
any of them
there is heaps more to it then you knew when you played it as a kid, and this is your guide http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Main_Page

Menacing Spike

Long, long, long single player games

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:20 pm UTC

Hello there.
Xkcd forumite, I need your help.

I will soon be stranded 8 weeks without an internet connection. While this sucks in itself (lack of social interaction, no stumbleupon, no webcomics) it will cause atrocious boredom.
Therefore, I need extremely long single player games. Mac or PC, either will work.

Dwarf Fortress is a perfect example, but it won't last 8 weeks! Spiderweb games also work. And a cat is fine too.
Any ideas of games like that, preferably free?

meatyochre

Re: Long, long, long single player games

Postby meatyochre » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:03 pm UTC

I like Bloobs. It's not long per se, but it is something you could play occasionally to occupy yourself. It's pretty old but you can still find the free "trial" version of it online.

It doesn't make you buy a full version of the game. I don't even know the benefits of buying the full version. The trial version is enough for me.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:16 pm UTC

Battle for Wesnoth is free. And awesome.

Download some extra campaigns while you still have internet, that'll pad out the play time.

Mech Warrior 4 was recently released for free.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

Thadlerian

Postby Thadlerian » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:29 pm UTC

Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe can last a long time. Like if you load a huge map and set some goal like connecting all cities to a central rail network, or something.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:24 am UTC

Any Civ game will last you at least 3 weeks. Half Life 2 is good for a day if you have it, and the episodes and Portal are good for another. The Myst series is fun, and could easily consume 8 weeks if you take your time finding everything. Single player RPGs work great, like Fallout 3. You can also download .swfs of some decent flash puzzle games if you think you will still not fill your time.
<Cheese> I love you

WarDaft

Postby WarDaft » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:33 am UTC

Morrowind.
All Shadow priest spells that deal Fire damage now appear green.
Big freaky cereal boxes of death.

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:39 am UTC

Dwarf fortress can last you a long time, but the wiki is essential when starting off, so if you want to use it, you will also have to download the wiki. You should still be able to do it, though.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:59 am UTC

WarDaft wrote:Morrowind.

PONIES!!!!
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:11 am UTC

Nethack (free), X-COM (very cheap), and Mount and Blade (not expensive) could keep me busy for a long period of time.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Levi

Postby Levi » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:15 am UTC

Warzone 2100 is pretty long, if you can stomach the graphics. The campaign is extremely long and kept interesting by the massively massive tech tree.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:08 am UTC

Dragon age took me a week or so. I would be surprised if Empire Total War (or rome, or similar) took a short time to complete. You could try Audiosurf which has replayability directly tied to your interest in music.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:57 am UTC

Capital!

Thank you, people.

Veora

Postby Veora » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:20 am UTC

WarDaft wrote:Morrowind.

Fantastic suggestion, i'd throw in fallout 3 for the same sand-boxness!

Also,- Final fantasy 7! good 60 odd hours there right? :D

Dragon Age with all the DLC has to come to a good 40-50 hours if you absolutely everything (longer if you play on hard mode!)

Rome/Medieval Total War series is also a good suggestion, lots to conquer! :D
<Witty and funny signature here>

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:51 am UTC

I put quite a number of hours into Stalker.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Phen

Postby Phen » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:57 am UTC

Planescape Torment.
Deus Ex.
Just Cause 2.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Return to “Gaming”