I need a Game Recommendation

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Eseell

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby Eseell » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:31 pm UTC

The original Fallout games are great for leveling up and kicking ass. Not so many awesome spells, though, unless you count "explode someone like a blood sausage" or "melt someone into a pile of green goo."
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:01 am UTC

emceng wrote:Ok, so looking for an RPGish game. I apparently don't have patience for the standard D&D based ones. I liked some parts of NWN, but fuck, I must have been doing something wrong because the combat was insanely tough. I'd run away from fights constantly to rest and recover.

Ok, rambling done for a second.

SO yeah, an RPGish game. Something you level up and kick ass. Story is about tertiary if not farther down. I don't want to hear about Dumbass the Farmer and needing his chickens back. I just want to lay waste. Fun spells would be nice. Maybe a cross between Magicka and NWN. Or CoD and Magicka and Dark Souls.

Yeah, tall order. Any suggestions are appreciated. Also, I need more sleep.

...Does it have to be Fantasy?

... Does it have to pretend to be an RPG? I mean, Saint's Row 2 fits a lot of that - story is there if you're interested, otherwise just blow things up because fuck you, that's why.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:47 am UTC

if it doesn't have to be fantasy, then Borderlands.... surely?

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:19 pm UTC

Damn, now I feel stupid. I probably just described Borderlands, and wanted to play it because I have been out of town for a while.

I mean a more fantasy-ish game would be nice too. I just like blasting things with fireballs and seeing them explode. Bioshock fits that a little bit too, but I was looking for a little more RPG elements and not quite a fps.

And yes, Saints Row, Fallout, and Borderlands are all games I have enjoyed.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:38 pm UTC

Well, I guess more accurately you described a Diablo-clone, but as Borderlands is Diablo with Guns...... so yeah. Torchlight, maybe?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

The Flail

Postby The Flail » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:48 am UTC

So, I finally killed Star Ocean: The Last Hope over the summer, and I loved it soooooo much. I know a great deal of people complained about the storyline, but it's honestly one of my favorite stories of all time. It's the only game that has ever made me cry, multiple times, and that's not just because I beast-moded all three discs in a 60-hour straight run-through without sleep. Anyways, I'm desperately in need of another heart-wrenching, half-cutscene anime RPG, preferably for the 360. Anyone know any good ones? (barring FF, never played one in my life, and I just feel lost when I watch a friend play).

ran88dom99

Postby ran88dom99 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:06 am UTC

I have never played a mainstream or asian mmorpg (ok tried 2 for all of 3 hrs). I would like to try one because of all the wonderful things promised like friendship adventure great big wars etc. Unfortunately my definition of grind is when i'm not thinking or trying out a new strategy. Maybe its more that story and graphics just don't do enough for me. So, recommend me an mmorpg where the player has the option to completely change his build without having to pay. Or xp being for every class or something. I also want (and is implied by 'strategy') challenge, meaning loosing often enough, or at least the option to play on hard enough difficulties. Dota/mobas don't count as I have played them all. I would rather not pay or level in an mmo without already liking it so it's best features aught to be at accessible at the beginning.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:25 am UTC

The Flail wrote:So, I finally killed Star Ocean: The Last Hope over the summer, and I loved it soooooo much. I know a great deal of people complained about the storyline, but it's honestly one of my favorite stories of all time. It's the only game that has ever made me cry, multiple times, and that's not just because I beast-moded all three discs in a 60-hour straight run-through without sleep. Anyways, I'm desperately in need of another heart-wrenching, half-cutscene anime RPG, preferably for the 360. Anyone know any good ones? (barring FF, never played one in my life, and I just feel lost when I watch a friend play).
The World Ends With You is one of the finest gaming experiences I've ever had. I've only played the DS version, but an iOS port came out rather recently and seems to be getting favorable reviews despite being dumbed-down. Not quite sure that qualifies as an RPG per se, though.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:31 am UTC

So what's a good multiplayer PC game (co-op or competitive) that's not an FPS or real-time strategy? Bonus if it has modest system requirements and is free.

Nath

Postby Nath » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:49 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:So what's a good multiplayer PC game (co-op or competitive) that's not an FPS or real-time strategy? Bonus if it has modest system requirements and is free.

Terraria? Not free, but cheap.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:23 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:So what's a good multiplayer PC game (co-op or competitive) that's not an FPS or real-time strategy? Bonus if it has modest system requirements and is free.

League of Legends? (Not sure if you consider that RTS or not.)
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:29 am UTC

The Worms games, either the new one or one of the cheaper older ones.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:58 am UTC

I second both League of Legends and Worms. If you're looking for something you can access on just about anywhere, I highly recommend Realm of the Mad God. The only way I can describe it is an MMO Rouguelike with twin-stick controls.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:04 pm UTC

Aaeriele wrote:League of Legends? (Not sure if you consider that RTS or not.)
I would. In fact, Worms is almost sort of an RTS in my book.

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:26 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:
Aaeriele wrote:League of Legends? (Not sure if you consider that RTS or not.)
I would. In fact, Worms is almost sort of an RTS in my book.

Except for the fact that it's turn based,

maninblack
Location: I'm out of my mind at the moment please leave a message after the beep.

Postby maninblack » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:37 pm UTC

I'll be brief. I'm looking for a role playing video game for either the NES or the SNES. I have a retro duo (a console that plays cartridges from both of those systems) and I've only recently started playing Video RPGs. I prefer real time over turn based, and already have the Zelda games.
addams wrote:It was like a game of Rugby and I was the Puck. Yeah. I was taking a beating and I was in the wrong game.
roband wrote:If this is a serious question, the answer is no.
If it's a philosophical one, I have no idea.

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:38 pm UTC

Well it's turn based combat, but the Dragon Warrior games were awesome. 1-4 are for the NES.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

maninblack
Location: I'm out of my mind at the moment please leave a message after the beep.

Postby maninblack » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:21 pm UTC

Yeah, I assume many of the RPGs from that time will be turn based.

That said, the Dragon Warrior games look like a lot of fun. I will put those on my short list. Thanks! :D
addams wrote:It was like a game of Rugby and I was the Puck. Yeah. I was taking a beating and I was in the wrong game.
roband wrote:If this is a serious question, the answer is no.
If it's a philosophical one, I have no idea.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:38 am UTC

A real-time NES or SNES RPG? That does not really compute.

How about the "Heaven and Earth Trilogy" (Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma) for the SNES?
http://hg101.kontek.net/quintet/quintet.htm

I hear Magician is pretty good for the NES.

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:28 am UTC

Secret of Mana is the only real time SNES RPG I can recall off the top of my head.

Edit: I suppose there's Harvest Moon, too. I love me some Harvest Moon. I'm sure there are more.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:56 am UTC

Oh, in that case Secret of Evermore is probably a good idea. And everyone really, really seems to like Secret of Mana 2 / Seiken Densetsu 3 (for which a handy translation patch exists).

kinigget

Postby kinigget » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:19 am UTC

maninblack wrote:I'll be brief. I'm looking for a role playing video game for either the NES or the SNES. I have a retro duo (a console that plays cartridges from both of those systems) and I've only recently started playing Video RPGs. I prefer real time over turn based, and already have the Zelda games.

go find the original Star Ocean, or Secret of Mana. those are the only two SNES RPG's that I can come up with off the top of my head with real-time combat.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I can tell from his word choice that he is using his penis to type.

Steax wrote:I think the courts are kinda busy right now. Something about cake and due process.

thorgold

Postby thorgold » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:20 am UTC

I'm surprised as hell that this is nowhere on the forum.

To the Moon.

I'm not an emotional guy. I can get attached to characters, I feel for plot twists, but I don't get emotional when I read books, watch movies, or play games in terms of tearing up over the characters. I can count on one hand the number of works that have elicited such a reaction from me, and they're coincidentally my top five favorite works. To the Moon just took #1 on that list.

Everything about the game is done right. It's not a "fun" game in the same way that a game of Tetris is fun, but it's a very deep, emotionally fulfilling game that leaves you with a few hours of rich entertainment. The story is the most elegant I've ever seen in a game - the characters are insightful, the plot is interesting without being cliche, and the soundtrack is the textbook example for how to do videogame music right. In all honestly, it feels like I'm watching a movie, for all the storytelling quality and connection I'm getting. The gameplay is less of a "game" than a vessel for the story, and that's in no way a bad thing.

It's on Steam for $5. You will not regret it.
You can refuse to think, but you can't refuse the consequences of not thinking.

Nath

Postby Nath » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:30 pm UTC

I picked it up and played it a few days ago, when it was on sale. I liked it, but not as much as you did. The basic plot is a bit, well, soap-operatic. It still works because of the above-average writing, with some humor to balance the schmaltz. The sci-fi premise is also thought-provoking, and I could see it leading to some interesting storylines. They are apparently planning more episodes, which I'm looking forward to.

I also picked up the soundtrack, without playing the game first (it was only a few cents extra). It worked well in-game, but I'm unlikely to come back and listen to it. More sentimental piano music than I can take.

boXd

Postby boXd » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:31 pm UTC

I'm looking for a new game like Limbo, because I've already finished it. :( (Also, if you haven't played Limbo: PLAY IT. It's the awesomest thing EVAR.)

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:01 pm UTC

boXd wrote:I'm looking for a new game like Limbo, because I've already finished it. :( (Also, if you haven't played Limbo: PLAY IT. It's the awesomest thing EVAR.)

thanks I will, they are giving away free on Playstation this month, so I'll have to check it out.

boXd

Postby boXd » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:01 pm UTC

boXd wrote:I'm looking for a new game like Limbo, because I've already finished it. :( (Also, if you haven't played Limbo: PLAY IT. It's the awesomest thing EVAR.)

thanks I will, they are giving away free on Playstation this month, so I'll have to check it out.

If/when you finish it, let us know what you thought of it. :D

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:50 pm UTC

So I'm getting very close to finishing Deus Ex. With all the best perks, I am really enjoying it. One thing I do kind of want is more badass jumping around type things(parkourish). So I'm looking for something like that. Maybe a bit like Prince of Persia(Sands of Time). Is Dishonoured anything like that? I'm getting it for Christmas. Maybe I just need to play more Batman AA or AC. His ledge takedowns are so much fun.

boXd

Postby boXd » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:52 pm UTC

emceng wrote:So I'm getting very close to finishing Deus Ex. With all the best perks, I am really enjoying it. One thing I do kind of want is more badass jumping around type things(parkourish). So I'm looking for something like that. Maybe a bit like Prince of Persia(Sands of Time). Is Dishonoured anything like that? I'm getting it for Christmas. Maybe I just need to play more Batman AA or AC. His ledge takedowns are so much fun.

Infamous 2? Wasn't really my kind of game, but it may be what you're looking for. :)

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:53 pm UTC

mirrors edge.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:58 pm UTC

boXd wrote:
emceng wrote:So I'm getting very close to finishing Deus Ex. With all the best perks, I am really enjoying it. One thing I do kind of want is more badass jumping around type things(parkourish). So I'm looking for something like that. Maybe a bit like Prince of Persia(Sands of Time). Is Dishonoured anything like that? I'm getting it for Christmas. Maybe I just need to play more Batman AA or AC. His ledge takedowns are so much fun.

Infamous 2? Wasn't really my kind of game, but it may be what you're looking for. :)

Played the first one, and it was decent. Maybe Prototype 2 instead - I liked Prototype 1 more than Infamous 1.

Izawwlgood wrote:mirrors edge.

Sorry, I value my sanity. I want cool movement, not "try this jump 100 times to get it exactly right".

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:07 pm UTC

yeah, the games time trials were better than the storyline. Assassins Creed has good free running I felt.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:37 pm UTC

There was only one jump in Mirror's Edge that was really that hard. Everything else was unfidgety enough that any mistakes were clearly made between keyboard and chair.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Iceman

Postby Iceman » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:44 pm UTC

I'm betting you've played them, but Braid and Journey. Journey will only take under 2 hours, but it's amazing

IcedT

Postby IcedT » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:11 am UTC

I'm kinda hankering for a decent console hack-n-slash. Koei games are usually a little repetitive for my tastes, and at first Way of the Samurai looked like it might be a good choice but reviews say it's extremely repetitive too (shallow combat, repetitive missions, small and constantly-recycled environments). Does anybody know of a solid hack-n-slash game, preferably with some variety and customization to it?

boXd

Postby boXd » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:13 pm UTC

Darksiders? Fable? Dishonored?

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:57 pm UTC

Dishonoured is hack-n-slash?
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

boXd

Postby boXd » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:25 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:Dishonoured is hack-n-slash?

Well, no, not really I guess. But then there wouldn't have been three games to choose from.

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:42 pm UTC

Mini Ninjas.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:52 pm UTC

It might not be exactly what you're after, but if you haven't played Devil May Cry you should.

Return to “Gaming”