I need a Game Recommendation

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

boXd

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby boXd » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:29 pm UTC

Eseell wrote:Mini Ninjas.

Like this?

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:02 pm UTC

Not exactly. It's a stealth/action game, it's a lot of fun, and I think it fits the "hack and slash+depth" criteria.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

IcedT

Postby IcedT » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:21 am UTC

I have Fable 3 and though I guess it fits the criteria, I've already done two playthroughs and really don't see much reason to go back again. But Darksiders looks pretty promising and I've heard a ton of good things about DMC too. I think I'll be checking those out.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:53 am UTC

IcedT wrote:I'm kinda hankering for a decent console hack-n-slash. Koei games are usually a little repetitive for my tastes, and at first Way of the Samurai looked like it might be a good choice but reviews say it's extremely repetitive too (shallow combat, repetitive missions, small and constantly-recycled environments). Does anybody know of a solid hack-n-slash game, preferably with some variety and customization to it?

I second Devil May Cry, especially the 4th.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:35 pm UTC

Hey all.

I'm looking for a mouse-only (PC) game that'll take a decent span of time to beat. I sprained my left thumb, which rules out anything that needs either keyboard or controller for the next month or two.

Is the latest Civ playable with only a mouse? XCOM? Anything in either of those veins?
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:42 pm UTC

Latest civ is definitely playable with just the mouse. Heck, it's playable with one finger on a touch-screen.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:07 pm UTC

XCOM is also playable with only the mouse, I think. You might also look into some of the indie adventure games like Machinarium or puzzle games like Cogs.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:15 pm UTC

Also in the vein of Civ that doesn't need two hands: Europa Universalis III (is easier if you can use the space bar, but just that key).
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:55 am UTC

Going through my Steam list:
Chains
Cogs
Pretty sure all Command and Conquer games (probably most RTSs)
Dawn of Discovery
Diablo I and II
Fallout 1 and 2
FTL
Sam and Max (and probably most point-and-clicks)
Sins of a Solar Empire (fairly certain)
Uplink (I don't remember any typing, but it seems odd that a hacking game would have zero typing, so I could be wrong)
World of Goo
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:26 am UTC

How about Popcap games? I'm fairly certain all of them are mouse-only.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:Uplink (I don't remember any typing, but it seems odd that a hacking game would have zero typing, so I could be wrong)

You are indeed wrong. There is an admin console command in Uplink you are sometimes required to use. Add time pressure and... yeah, no.

You might look into spiderweb games, maybe eschalon... the whole visual novel genre... also with an emulator you could remap DS or SNES or whatever keys into being usable with only one hand. Oh and WRPGs like Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, etc, are an option if you can press the spacebar to pause.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

Do you want games you can play with only the mouse, or are meant to play with only the mouse? 'Cause some games (the aforementioned CnC games for instance) can be played with just the mouse, but using keyboard as well is much easier.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:26 pm UTC

more "can" than "meant."

I don't want to mess with RTS in general because mouse-only is a handicap unless I have easy access to a pause-type function where I can freeze time and input commands (a la Baldur's Gate/FTL, which is acceptable).

The list so far has been welcome :) Civ5 has consumed me atm. Did the one-city challenge last night -- won via cultural victory with India.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:47 am UTC

I seem to find myself with something of an abundance of quality game pads.

What's a good split-screen PC game these days?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:56 pm UTC

I may have asked this before, and gotten some ok suggestions, but I'm reposing the question:

I'm curious if anyone knows of a spaceship in orbit gravity simulator aside from Kerbal Space Program or Lunar Lander. I want to have a couple different planetary bodies (maybe even in motion) and a ship that I can fly around based on fairly basic controls. The previous two named games are heaps of fun, but a bit more detail than I'm thinking of for this; I'm looking for something with a more simplistic arcade-y feel.

EDIT: New Orbit is pretty fun. Pretty lousy voice acting, but simplistic and rad.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:16 pm UTC

All the space sims I've come across are technically complex. The only thing I've seen that resembles arcadey feel space travel in a game is the space stage of development in Spore.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:38 pm UTC

So more random question than recommendation request:

Got Deus Ex from GOG a while back, and finally started it over the weekend. I guess the main thing I am having trouble with is this - everything is way too dark. I'm using F.Lux, so tried turning that off. It didn't help. The training missions, most of the time I needed my light on to see anything more detailed than the walls and such. What the crap? I adjusted the display settings, but didn't seem to do much.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:56 pm UTC

It should look like this during the starting conversation, more or less.

Does it, or does it not look like that? If it looks like that, then the darkness elsewhere is intentional. If it is darker than that, then you need to adjust the gamma or something.

But it is a dark (in most senses of the word) game.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:37 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:It should look like this during the starting conversation, more or less.

Does it, or does it not look like that? If it looks like that, then the darkness elsewhere is intentional. If it is darker than that, then you need to adjust the gamma or something.

But it is a dark (in most senses of the word) game.

Yeah, did not look like that. Maybe looked like that if you put on sunglasses. I'll have to play with the setting more.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Snark

Postby Snark » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:22 pm UTC

Getting an Xbox. I'd love some help comparing and contrasting the different Call of Duty games so I know which ones I want. I've only been a casual player so far and played 1 or 2 versions. I like the Prestige thing where you reset every 40/45 levels. I like having the Zombies minigame. Other than that, I know almost nothing. Help me!

Edit: While I will likely end up playing the campaign a little bit, all I really care about is multiplayer. Do any of the games support two players on the same Xbox both playing multiplayer online together?
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:52 am UTC

Me and a few buddies of mine (4-6 people in total) like to spend 1-2 hours every other night gaming (on the PC). It's been a few months since we have started this habit and we're quickly running out of games. Here's a list of games we've played these past few months:

• Team Fortress 2 coop
  • Path of Exile
  • Left 4 Dead 2
  • Synergy - Half-Life 2

Other games we've played together before:

• Starcraft
  • Borderlands
  • Killing Floor
  • Hidden: Source
  • Worms Reloaded

The common thing is that we prefer games that we can play without other people, just the 4-6 of us. Coop games are appreciated but not strictly necessary. Thanks in advance!
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:12 am UTC

Snark wrote:Getting an Xbox. I'd love some help comparing and contrasting the different Call of Duty games so I know which ones I want. I've only been a casual player so far and played 1 or 2 versions. I like the Prestige thing where you reset every 40/45 levels. I like having the Zombies minigame. Other than that, I know almost nothing. Help me!

Edit: While I will likely end up playing the campaign a little bit, all I really care about is multiplayer. Do any of the games support two players on the same Xbox both playing multiplayer online together?
I'm pretty sure only the Black Ops games support two players on one machine playing online together. Modern Warfare 3 might, but I don't think so. It's good that you don't care much about the single player, because none of them have really been any good since Modern Warfare 1 (aka Call of Duty 4) at least story wise. The Modern Warfare series has gotten progressively worse in terms of story (1 is the best, and IMO pretty good, 3 is the worst). The Black Ops series story is horrible and ranks below MW 3 in my opinion.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:49 pm UTC

Since you already all have Source games, Neotokyo is a good free game. If all your skill levels are the same, small games like 3v3 are where I think it really shines.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

InstaPhail

Postby InstaPhail » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:12 am UTC

Eseell wrote:Secret of Mana is the only real time SNES RPG I can recall off the top of my head.

Edit: I suppose there's Harvest Moon, too. I love me some Harvest Moon. I'm sure there are more.

also if you like Harvest Moon you could always play Rune Factory which is just literally the same game but with fighting and dungeoneering ect

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:47 pm UTC

InstaPhail wrote:
Eseell wrote:Secret of Mana is the only real time SNES RPG I can recall off the top of my head.

Edit: I suppose there's Harvest Moon, too. I love me some Harvest Moon. I'm sure there are more.

also if you like Harvest Moon you could always play Rune Factory which is just literally the same game but with fighting and dungeoneering ect

.... your name is so appropriate for this. Because the question was about NES or SNES RPGs.. something Rune Factory is not.

I cannot tell if this is simply a mistake on your part, or a cunning account wherein your posts and name are linked, and everything you post will be wrong in such a way that is not immediately apparent. If so, bravo. Bravo.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:23 am UTC

Any good ipad games? Preferably single player, no freemium BS (cosmetic buyables are fine of course). Something with strategy and depth, not some twitchy fruit ninja type thing.

A good tower defense game is acceptable, but I'd far prefer an rpg or something.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:30 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:I'd far prefer an rpg or something.

http://www.avernum.com/avernum/

There is also "Avadon" by the same author; but skip it, it is dogshit.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:57 pm UTC

... I liked Avadon...

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:49 am UTC

I'm sad that they no longer have Exile out in the open. Exile was nice.
Omni.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:33 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:... I liked Avadon...

I really disliked the linearity, the lack of customisation, the amount of trash mobs...

It's trying really hard to be Mass Effect but with 1% of the budget that just won't work.

Ralith The Third wrote:I'm sad that they no longer have Exile out in the open. Exile was nice.

Exile 3 was my favorite. It's still playable via SheepShaver and such but the controls aged horribly. It's still in the open.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:37 pm UTC

And yet, they still expect you to pay $10 for the full version. I hate that. ($15 for the trilogy CD is kind of okay, maybe.)

If I won the lottery, I would buy out Ambrosia Software and make Escape Velocity Nova freeware once and for all. Or at least give it a proper, reasonably-priced rerelease.

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:45 pm UTC

Hello everyone. I hope you guys don't mind if I use this thread to ask about certain games as opposed to recommendations (though if you feel that based on the games I ask I may like some other games, please go ahead).

I've been hearing really good things about the Fallout games, and from what I've read, since like I would be really into it. My only concern is that I have a PS3, and everywhere I read makes it seem like the PS3 version (of F3 at least) is buggy as hell and I should expect it to freeze a lot. I've seen many ways to not make it freeze as much -such as turning off autosave- but I think I shouldn't go that out of my way to make a game work. It's pretty demanding of me I know. I've heard with New Vegas it's not as bad, but still gonna freeze occasionally.

Also I've been thinking of picking up the Mass Effect trilogy that came out last year. Been reading many good things about it, except for an ending that pissed off A LOT of people.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:59 pm UTC

The combat in Mass Effect 1 can be generously described as clumsy and it has a god-awful inventory system. And the vehicle sections are tedious. But I've played it through three times so it's not too bad; it's got a reasonable story going for it.
ME2 strips out the retarded inventory system and streamlines the combat a bit, but it suffers from what I think of as "Magic Button Syndrome", where one button does multiple things depending on context which brings a whole new level of frustration. Story is much the same as ME1, although I find it a little less continuous than ME1's; ME1 has better pacing and gradual development.
I cannot speak for ME3; I've not played it.
I'm highly critical of the combat because I grew up on FPS games and expect certain things of combat involving guns. ME fails hard for me in that department. But they're still worth it I think, unless the price is steep.

I could not play Fallout 3 for more than 30 minutes; I found myself fighting the inventory system, among other things, too much. In the end, I gave up. I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority there.

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:15 pm UTC

Short answer: go ahead and buy Mass Effect.

Long answer: There were some pretty stupid design decisions made that hurt gameplay, but the game is still fun overall.

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:16 pm UTC

Er...

Yeah!

Nath

Postby Nath » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:21 pm UTC

Cathode Ray Sunshine wrote:Also I've been thinking of picking up the Mass Effect trilogy that came out last year. Been reading many good things about it, except for an ending that pissed off A LOT of people.

I haven't played ME3 yet, but I hear the issues with the ending were fixed (or at least alleviated) by some free DLC they released in response to all the fuss. But regardless of the ending, you're getting 100+ hours of quality entertainment. I highly recommend at least the first two games.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:42 pm UTC

Hi everyone. I'm looking for two games.

I'd like a recommendation for a CRPG. Ideally, I would like something that is a bit on the older side, as my system is not so very good (Oblivion can barely run on my laptop, so pre-2006 or, at least, very easy on the hardware is probably best). I don't mind using DosBox and don't really care about graphics. A good story is nice, but not essential; interesting gameplay, puzzles, and combat are good, and I get bored quickly if the game is too easy. Old-school is fine, but I don't want to have to do my own mapping. Off the top of my head, I've played Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Wizardry 6-8, most of the Might and Magic series, Ultima IV, VII, underworld, Dungeon Siege, Neverwinter Nights, the Elder Scrolls series, Fallout series, a bunch of console-based Final Fantasy games and some of the NES-era Dragon Quest games. I've played Diablo and hated it.

The second game I'm looking for is something that I can play with my wife. Something with hot seat play (or a similar creative solution) is a must. We've played games in the Heroes of Might and Magic series as well as a few Civilization games. Turn-based strategy is probably best (with a scenario builder if possible), but I'm open to other options. Learning curve shouldn't be too steep--something that can be picked up from fairly casual play. She refuses to play games that are particularly violent, especially if they involve firearms.

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:30 pm UTC

The only offline RPG that I've played extensively is Betrayal at Krondor. Made in 1993 and I need to use DOSBox to run it, it can be found on old abandonware sites. Graphics are pretty terrible; I think this sums it up.
Turn based combat may or may not be to your taste. Stat progression doesn't work like most RPGs; attributes increase as they're used and there are quite a few. Only spell casters get special skills (and you usually only have one of those); fighters only get a sword or a useless crossbow.
Open-world, although it's chapter based and each chapter imposes restrictions on where you can or cannot go but at least two chapters open up most of the world to you.
Set in Midkemia, the world used in most of Raymond Feist's novels, in case you recognise the name.

Caveat: I look back on this game with nostalgia tinted glasses and I cannot accurately judge the difficulty of this game. You don't get a quest log or location markers; you have to remember shit!

LaserGuy wrote:The second game I'm looking for is something that I can play with my wife. Something with hot seat play (or a similar creative solution) is a must. We've played games in the Heroes of Might and Magic series as well as a few Civilization games. Turn-based strategy is probably best (with a scenario builder if possible), but I'm open to other options. Learning curve shouldn't be too steep--something that can be picked up from fairly casual play. She refuses to play games that are particularly violent, especially if they involve firearms.

My immediate thought is something from the Worms series, right up until you mentioned violence. It's cartoon violence, but does use reality based (if OTT at times) weaponry.
Worms Armageddon or Worms World Party are the most extensive, with W:A having the most post-release support. I don't know if the updates made to it over the years apply to the Steam version or not.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:45 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:I'd like a recommendation for a CRPG. [...]interesting gameplay, puzzles, and combat

That's... not really going to work.
For story I'd suggest Planescape Torment on PC. For gameplay I'd suggest Etrian Odyssey 3 (DS) or 4 (3DS).

The second game I'm looking for is something that I can play with my wife. Something with hot seat play (or a similar creative solution) is a must. We've played games in the Heroes of Might and Magic series as well as a few Civilization games. Turn-based strategy is probably best (with a scenario builder if possible), but I'm open to other options. Learning curve shouldn't be too steep--something that can be picked up from fairly casual play. She refuses to play games that are particularly violent, especially if they involve firearms.

Uh... Masters of Orion 2 maybe? Or worms blast. Or emulation (SNES has some decent 2 players games, such as Pocky and Rocky, Kirby Superstar, etc).

For other options, if you have 2 computers, you might try Terraria. It's pretty casual.

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:55 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:Hi everyone. I'm looking for two games.

I'd like a recommendation for a CRPG. Ideally, I would like something that is a bit on the older side, as my system is not so very good (Oblivion can barely run on my laptop, so pre-2006 or, at least, very easy on the hardware is probably best). I don't mind using DosBox and don't really care about graphics. A good story is nice, but not essential; interesting gameplay, puzzles, and combat are good, and I get bored quickly if the game is too easy. Old-school is fine, but I don't want to have to do my own mapping. Off the top of my head, I've played Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Wizardry 6-8, most of the Might and Magic series, Ultima IV, VII, underworld, Dungeon Siege, Neverwinter Nights, the Elder Scrolls series, Fallout series, a bunch of console-based Final Fantasy games and some of the NES-era Dragon Quest games. I've played Diablo and hated it.

Our tastes seem identical (except I don't hate Diablo and find Elder Scrolls boring instead). In order from highly suggested to not so highly suggested:

• Planescape: Torment (good for story mostly, as Menacing Spike noted)
  • Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines
  • Icewind Dale series
  • Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
  • Risen
  • Temple of Elemental Evil
  • Mother (Earthbound) series
  • Gothic series
  • The Witcher series (is twitch-dependent)
  • Avadon - The Black Fortress
  • Alpha Protocol (has terrible combat controls)
  • Mass Effect series
  • Dragon Age series
Last edited by Naurgul on Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:03 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

Return to “Gaming”