I need a Game Recommendation

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Ended

Re: Recommend ME a game (Merged:Several Similar Threads)

Postby Ended » Mon May 18, 2009 11:47 pm UTC

Zohar wrote:I'd like some sort of strategy game. I rather enjoy playing Civ (currently Civ IV + expansions) until I remember it's so repetitive and either too easy or, at higher difficulty levels, too hard and requires micro management, which doesn't interest me at all. I'm contemplating installing Heroes III again but I played it so many times I'd like to try something new. Doesn't have to be recently released, but something I didn't play before.

Battle for Wesnoth? Has the advantage of being free (open-source). I also remember Warlords III: Reign of Heroes being fun, but it might have dated a bit.
Generally I try to make myself do things I instinctively avoid, in case they are awesome.
-dubsola

Angel on the Steps

Postby Angel on the Steps » Tue May 19, 2009 7:28 pm UTC

I'm looking for a RTS game with a reasonably clever AI that can put up a challenge (I don't really have the heart for multiplayer these days) and/or a solid single-player campaign, and a fairly "classic" RTS as far as game mechanics go (so not something like Total War). The main caveat is that it has to run on my old, (t)rusty laptop (Mobility x700, Pentium M 740 at 1.73 ghz, 1 gb of RAM), so very recent games are a bad idea. I've just tried the demo of Supreme Commander, and... well, let's just say it's painful (and I wanted to play that game so much. Grr).

I haven't played that many RTS so feel free to toss some of the "obvious" names. My list includes Age of Empires I & II (that AI was dire), Total Annihilation (my favorite but the AI simply can't keep up), Battlezone II (almost, but not quite there), Rise of Nations (solid but I'd like something else now!) and Starcraft (I just didn't get that one), and probably a few more that didn't leave a lasting impression (oh, like Dark Reign).

Thanks for any suggestions you may have that will help me forget about Supr... that other game :)

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Fri May 22, 2009 3:00 pm UTC

Angel on the Steps wrote:I'm looking for a RTS game with a reasonably clever AI that can put up a challenge (I don't really have the heart for multiplayer these days) and/or a solid single-player campaign, and a fairly "classic" RTS as far as game mechanics go (so not something like Total War). The main caveat is that it has to run on my old, (t)rusty laptop (Mobility x700, Pentium M 740 at 1.73 ghz, 1 gb of RAM), so very recent games are a bad idea. I've just tried the demo of Supreme Commander, and... well, let's just say it's painful (and I wanted to play that game so much. Grr).

I haven't played that many RTS so feel free to toss some of the "obvious" names. My list includes Age of Empires I & II (that AI was dire), Total Annihilation (my favorite but the AI simply can't keep up), Battlezone II (almost, but not quite there), Rise of Nations (solid but I'd like something else now!) and Starcraft (I just didn't get that one), and probably a few more that didn't leave a lasting impression (oh, like Dark Reign).

Thanks for any suggestions you may have that will help me forget about Supr... that other game :)

Sins of a Solar Empire is good if you don't mind having a little 4X mixed in with it. It is fairly lax in terms of system requirements; if you could even just start a game of Supreme Commander, you can probably play SoaSE on low settings without any problems at all. In what way did you "not get" Starcraft, btw? If you just didn't understand how incredibly different the three races were, that isn't too much of a problem, because Starcraft's races are as different as they come. Another game I am quite fond of is Command and Conquer: Generals. The game as a whole is incredibly fun, and it is also the only RTS I have played single player but not multiplayer. It has modern-themed combat with some very slightly futuristic units mixed in (one unit captures buildings with a laptop). Micromanagement is heavily encouraged; vehicles can run over infantry, and one faction has a vehicle that runs over other vehicles. Unit balance is very "rock-paper-scissors", but units are separated by what weapons they fire and what they are made out of, so a fast moving gatling tank is going to be good against infantry and aircraft. They can beat tanks if they can get behind them, because tanks tend to turn slowly. Infantry are mostly safe behind tanks which can't shift into reverse, but a humvee can just back up into them. The game is crazy fun.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Angel on the Steps

Postby Angel on the Steps » Fri May 22, 2009 3:41 pm UTC

Thanks for those suggestions :) I'd heard about Sins of a Solar Empire and it sounds very much like the sort of game I'd like (and isn't Stardocks renowned for AI?), but I was scared off by the stated minimum requirements, but Supreme Commander is almost playable on my computer if I don't zoom in, so that should be fine!

I'm not sure if I should be so blunt, but... well, I'm afraid Starcraft just bore me! I didn't play for more than a few hours in skirmish mode to be honest, though, and I'm told it's much better in multiplayer.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri May 22, 2009 4:24 pm UTC

Awia wrote:I'm looking for a sandbox style space-sim (Think Freelancer) that can be played multiplayer.

Not EVE online?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Fri May 22, 2009 9:06 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:
Awia wrote:I'm looking for a sandbox style space-sim (Think Freelancer) that can be played multiplayer.

Not EVE online?

Probably not willing to pay by the month, and MMOs don't really count as sandboxes.
<Cheese> I love you

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Mon May 25, 2009 5:20 am UTC

I'm looking for a F2P fantasy MMO with anime style graphics, I'm not entirely sure why but my grind itch needs to be scratched.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Mon May 25, 2009 7:04 am UTC

Angel on the Steps wrote:I'm looking for a RTS game with a reasonably clever AI that can put up a challenge (I don't really have the heart for multiplayer these days) and/or a solid single-player campaign, and a fairly "classic" RTS as far as game mechanics go (so not something like Total War). The main caveat is that it has to run on my old, (t)rusty laptop (Mobility x700, Pentium M 740 at 1.73 ghz, 1 gb of RAM), so very recent games are a bad idea. I've just tried the demo of Supreme Commander, and... well, let's just say it's painful (and I wanted to play that game so much. Grr).

Have you tried Age of Empires 3 or Rise of Legends? The AI is a lot better in those 2 than AoE2, and on low settings should be much less demanding than supreme commander.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Meeples

Postby Meeples » Wed May 27, 2009 10:09 pm UTC

I'm looking for...a card game, of some sort or another. Preferably a collectible card game, something capable of being played on the PC or a console.. ;;

I'd really prefer to find one that is either mostly free to play, or has a price to purchase the game, but not for additional cards. I find the games that have you buying booster packs and such to be silly, when online-only - it doesn't ever seem worth it, to me. The 'type' of game needn't be a typical style, either - something similar to Battleforge is just as enjoyable to me as something like Magic, and I've been one that has similarly enjoyed Baten Kaitos, Kingdom Hearts: Chains of Memories, and so on. I'm desperate, here. =3

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Wed May 27, 2009 10:14 pm UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:Probably not willing to pay by the month, and MMOs don't really count as sandboxes.

The first one might be a problem, sure, but from what I've heard from people who play it, it is pretty much a sandbox game. You just share the sandbox with loads of other people.

Unless there's someone who's played it who can explain why it's not a sandbox? I'll admit I'm not completely up to speed on terminology.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu May 28, 2009 6:15 am UTC

Meeples wrote:I'm looking for...a card game, of some sort or another. Preferably a collectible card game, something capable of being played on the PC or a console.. ;;

I'd really prefer to find one that is either mostly free to play, or has a price to purchase the game, but not for additional cards. I find the games that have you buying booster packs and such to be silly, when online-only - it doesn't ever seem worth it, to me. The 'type' of game needn't be a typical style, either - something similar to Battleforge is just as enjoyable to me as something like Magic, and I've been one that has similarly enjoyed Baten Kaitos, Kingdom Hearts: Chains of Memories, and so on. I'm desperate, here. =3
Perhaps the old Microprose version of Magic? (Not to be confused with the newer online version.)

Lots of people also like the Neo Geo Pocket Color version of SNK Card Fighter's Clash, which you can play on PC via emulation. (The DS version is buggy crap.)

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Thu May 28, 2009 11:37 pm UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:
Not EVE online?
Probably not willing to pay by the month, and MMOs don't really count as sandboxes.
I am fairly sure that EVE online is not what Awia is looking for (or any other MMO for that matter, unless perhaps it is free).
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sat May 30, 2009 11:53 am UTC

So I've been having cravings for a good immersive RPG recently. I'm thinking fantasy genre-wise, but if there are any sci-fi ones that fit the bill, recommend those too (I don't expect there to be - there aren't enough sci-fi RPGs). Preferably something 3D, but not Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2, Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2, Mass Effect, Fallout 3 or Oblivion as I've already played or am playing those.
Last edited by thecommabandit on Sat May 30, 2009 12:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Sat May 30, 2009 12:14 pm UTC

Knights of the Old Republic 1 or 2?

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sat May 30, 2009 12:46 pm UTC

Oops, forgot to mention that I've played those. I edited them in.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Sat May 30, 2009 12:57 pm UTC

Well, it's nice to know I was looking in the right area then.

Would it be redundant to suggest Morrowind + expansions?

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sat May 30, 2009 12:59 pm UTC

Baldur's Gate. It meets all your conditions except 3D, which, lets face it, doesn't really matter all that much with RPGs.
<Cheese> I love you

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat May 30, 2009 3:11 pm UTC

There's Gothic 3 and The Witcher.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sat May 30, 2009 3:13 pm UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:[...] 3D, which, lets face it, doesn't really matter all that much with RPGs.

I would beg to differ, but Baldur's gate is a good suggestion nonetheless. I'll chase it up.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat May 30, 2009 3:53 pm UTC

Anachronox! More people need to play that.

Bukkarooo

Postby Bukkarooo » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:22 pm UTC

Babamthegrunt wrote:I'm looking for a F2P fantasy MMO with anime style graphics, I'm not entirely sure why but my grind itch needs to be scratched.

why not try "Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine"?

I'm looking to try it sometime soon... I just hope this old computer can run it :P

the site is here: http://megaten.aeriagames.com/

HighCharity

Postby HighCharity » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:43 am UTC

Okay, so I've been saving up for a PS3 and I now have enough to buy it. I'll have an extra 150 dollars in credit from GameStop (I'm buying it from Best Buy), and I've already decided on MGS4, so I'll have $114 left to spend on anything else (preferably PS3 games). Suggestions?
folkhero wrote:I feel bad for the hooker, but that guy is too annoying to not make fun of.

Are Thefinvispol, Child wrote:Life is, in a word, caverns.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:18 am UTC

Everyone seems to like InFamous.

HighCharity

Postby HighCharity » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:51 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:Everyone seems to like InFamous.

I was thinking about that, but I was also considering Resistance 2, LittleBigPlanet and Killzone 2... The thing is, I just can't get an idea of how these games play-is there a demo that I can check out on PSN?

EDIT: I was also considering Assassin's Creed. Is it mostly stealth-based?

EDIT 2: Okay so I added up AC 1, KZ 2, Resistance 2, and MGS4 and it comes out to $161.14 which is $11 dollars over my limit, so I could probably scrounge up that somewhere else. What do you guys think about that?
folkhero wrote:I feel bad for the hooker, but that guy is too annoying to not make fun of.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:01 pm UTC

I would suggest buying Street Fighter 4 and a Hori Fighting Stick 3, but that's only if you like fighting games. From what you are saying, you seem to like Console FPS and stealth quite a bit, and that would not be a bad selection if you like those two genres a lot.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

HighCharity

Postby HighCharity » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:07 pm UTC

aion7 wrote:I would suggest buying Street Fighter 4 and a Hori Fighting Stick 3, but that's only if you like fighting games. From what you are saying, you seem to like Console FPS and stealth quite a bit, and that would not be a bad selection if you like those two genres a lot.

Well, I'm not a huge fan of fighters, mostly because I suck at them. But yeah, shooters and stealth are basically my favorite genres. In fact, I much prefer stealth games but unfortunately I get more shooters because there just aren't that many stealth games. Are there any good strategy or survival horror/zombie PS3 exclusive games?

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:47 pm UTC

As far as horror goes, there is Siren which I have not heard much about. Strategy, not much.There are terrible ports of RTS and a couple mediocre TBS. Another thing you might be interested in is Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena, which is a first person stealth/shooter. Many people liked it.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

HighCharity

Postby HighCharity » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:52 pm UTC

aion7 wrote:As far as horror goes, there is Siren which I have not heard much about. Strategy, not much.There are terrible ports of RTS and a couple mediocre TBS. Another thing you might be interested in is Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena, which is a first person stealth/shooter. Many people liked it.

Well, I tried the 360 demo of Assault on Dark Athena, and...wasn't really impressed. I really didn't like it at all, in fact. Any other stealth games?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:55 pm UTC

HighCharity wrote:EDIT 2: Okay so I added up AC 1, KZ 2, Resistance 2, and MGS4 and it comes out to $161.14 which is $11 dollars over my limit, so I could probably scrounge up that somewhere else. What do you guys think about that?
Surely some of those would be substantially cheaper on the PC? Also, I tihought a lot of people found that Assassin's Creed had some serious problems (which are likely to be fixed in the imminent sequel).

HighCharity

Postby HighCharity » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:57 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:
HighCharity wrote:EDIT 2: Okay so I added up AC 1, KZ 2, Resistance 2, and MGS4 and it comes out to $161.14 which is $11 dollars over my limit, so I could probably scrounge up that somewhere else. What do you guys think about that?
Surely some of those would be substantially cheaper on the PC? Also, I tihought a lot of people found that Assassin's Creed had some serious problems (which are likely to be fixed in the imminent sequel).

Well, I was really trying to fill out my upcoming PS3 library. And really, I prefer consoles. For me, it's easier, the keyboard can be confusing as hell to use and I feel like the controller is just more fun. And also, Assassin's Creed is the only non-PS3 exclusive...

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:11 pm UTC

I'm looking for a sim/racing game (for PC) that has good physics and acceptable graphics. Something like Rigs of Rods, but with a storyline. Of those, I've played Burnout Paradise, Crashday, 18 Wheels of Steel, and Rigs of Rods.
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

LTK

Postby LTK » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:27 pm UTC

Does anyone know of an action-RPG that has really good combat? The games that I've played involving leveling up and assigning skill points were generally unimpressive.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:02 pm UTC

LTK wrote:Does anyone know of an action-RPG that has really good combat? The games that I've played involving leveling up and assigning skill points were generally unimpressive.
The Witcher, maybe? Mount and Blade? Both have demos to try before you buy.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

diotimajsh

Postby diotimajsh » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:09 am UTC

thecommabandit wrote:... not Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2, Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2, Mass Effect, Fallout 3 or Oblivion as I've already played or am playing those.
What about Fallout 2 rather than 3? I haven't played 3, so I don't know if the experience would be disappointing by comparison--and of course it's become a very dated game by this point--but I recently found Fallout 2 to be about a thousand times more immersive than any other RPG I've played yet.
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:51 am UTC

Dude, fuck that noise, what about Fallout *1*? That was the best in the series anyway.

I assume you've played Diablo 2? If you are willing to go less RPG and more strategy game, I highly, HIGHLY recommend X-Com terror from the deep
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Sir-Taco

Lovecraftian Games

Postby Sir-Taco » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:22 pm UTC

After reading a lot of his work, and a short trip down to the local A1 Comics, I found there to be a quite extensive board game called "Arkham Horror", based on everything Lovecraftian, and a similar "Living" Card Game (one where apparently you don't blind-buy the cards or something) called Call of Cthulhu. I'm debating which one to get, as I am itching to play some sort of Lovecraftian game with my friends. Arkham Horror seems like a good one, but does anyone else have recommendations or other games of the similar sort they have heard of?
The world is a cold and dark place, so start fire.

BoomFrog

Re: Lovecraftian Games

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:49 pm UTC

I heard Arkham Horror was really good though I haven't had a chance to play it myself. But anyway here is a VERY short single player game I think might entertain you and at least be worth the download.

http://www.spookysquid.com/notc/index.htm
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Sir-Taco

Postby Sir-Taco » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:56 pm UTC

That was really cool, I've never seen a game like that, a good fusion of a shooter with a heavy adventure style. Brilliant.
The world is a cold and dark place, so start fire.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:09 pm UTC

The board game is pretty fun. I've played it half a dozen times or so. If you decide to commit to getting it and all the expansions you'll need a huge fuck-all table, though.

Playing just the original with 6 people was a tight squeeze on our dining room table with the leaf inserted.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:15 pm UTC

I haven't played it, but a close friend was a die hard fan of Call of Cthulu, for PC. He said it was decent action, with STUNNING storytelling. I recall watching him play a level that genuinely gave me the shivers.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Return to “Gaming”