I need a Game Recommendation

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Box Boy
WINNING

Re: I need a Game Recommendation (Recently renamed)

Postby Box Boy » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:19 pm UTC

Does anyone know what Battlefield 1943 is like? I'm looking for an online shooter with a varitey of maps/game modes and (preferably) a decent community, so does it fulfill those requirements?
Oh, and I'm getting it for the PS3.
Signatures are for chumps.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:25 pm UTC

I have the demo for both ps3 and xbox. It is great fun. If you have played and enjoyed 1942, then you will like this. If you want to try it, get the demo. The demo is the full game, but you can only play it for 30 min. Then if you want to buy it, you just get the unlock code, no re-downloading.
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:30 pm UTC

Thanks, I'm downloading the demo right now but I really want to know how big is the actual game? I guess what I'm asking is how many maps and what gametypes are there?
Thanks for the input though, I didn't know the demo was timed.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:42 pm UTC

There are I think 3 player types, 3 maps, And I think only 1 game type? I have not played the demo much, in fact only one game. I am saving my time so I can play with a friend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlefield_1943
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

Turambar

Postby Turambar » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:03 pm UTC

Hey all, I'm looking to buy a new PC game and am trawling for suggestions. I generally prefer RTS/TBS games or FPS with a strong strategy element. I like RPGs as well, preferably ones with good multiplayer. High replayability is important. To give you an idea, my two favorite games of recent years have been Battlefield 2142 and Empire: Total War. Also well-loved are Alpha Centauri, Neverwinter Nights, and CSS.
"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it."
--Richard Feynman

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:41 pm UTC

If you have CS:S, a good recommendation would be Eternal Silence, a free Source mod that was originally built on the Battlefield 2 engine. Its main feature is space flight and combat without a locked Z-axis (aka you can rotate on any axis). It has a high learning curve and lots of various tricks that take a while to pick up on, but if you read the rules on the website and watch the tutorial videos on the forum, you will automatically end up in the top 25% of players of the mod. Depending on the strength of your PC (I don't know the system requirements for BF2142), I also recommend Sins of a Solar Empire, and to a lesser extent, Supreme Commander. Both are very fun and have good expansions, with Sins being better balanced between its 3 factions, as opposed to SupCom's 4. Both have some very effective emergent strategies, and their unique rules and mechanics keep these tricks from getting out of hand and dominating the game.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:42 am UTC

Turambar wrote:Hey all, I'm looking to buy a new PC game and am trawling for suggestions. I generally prefer RTS/TBS games or FPS with a strong strategy element. I like RPGs as well, preferably ones with good multiplayer. High replayability is important. To give you an idea, my two favorite games of recent years have been Battlefield 2142 and Empire: Total War. Also well-loved are Alpha Centauri, Neverwinter Nights, and CSS.

Have you tried TF2? Tactics and teamwork in it are far more crucial than CS:S, where one player with an AWP can carry the whole team. I'll second SupCom. If you can get past the performance issues it has a much higher strategic element than most RTS's.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Mactabilis

Postby Mactabilis » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:41 pm UTC

Any good bargain bin RPGS, i dont mean old RPGs i mean like indie games that dont get reviews. i want GOOD rpgs that i may never have heard of.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:19 pm UTC

Geneforgegets nothing but rave reviews. I keep meaning to get one of them, as the demo I got was nice. Same deal with Avernum. Same company, though. Eschalon and Depths of Peril have demos too. So there's a start, at least.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:36 am UTC

Mactabilis wrote:Any good bargain bin RPGS, i dont mean old RPGs i mean like indie games that dont get reviews. i want GOOD rpgs that i may never have heard of.
I'm sure I've mentioned The Spirit Engine (and its sequel) on this board before (and certainly many other places). An ingenious piece of game design, that.

Turambar

Postby Turambar » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:05 am UTC

I think I've decided on Sins of a Solar Empire. And by "I think I've decided", I mean "I ordered two days ago". Thanks, headprogrammingczar!
"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it."
--Richard Feynman

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:57 pm UTC

Did you get the package that includes the expansion too? You would be surprised how much more interesting the game is when you add stronger orbital defenses.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:47 pm UTC

Hey anyone know of any good adventure games? I have basically played all the classic sierra and lucasarts games, and also enjoyed the more recent The Longest Journey, Syberia and their sequels. I know its a dieing breed, but thought someone here might have an idea?

EDIT: I am looking for a PC game.
Last edited by Dark567 on Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:58 pm UTC

Depends on what system you use. If you have a PS3 Uncharted and Assasins Creed are must haves. Both of them are available cheaply online and have sequels coming out soon.
Also, the new Prince of Persia and inFamous are fairly good.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:32 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:Hey anyone know of any good adventure games? I have basically played all the classic sierra and lucasarts games, and also enjoyed the more recent The Longest Journey, Syberia and their sequels. I know its a dieing breed, but thought someone here might have an idea?
There's tons of quality freeware games out there. Have you tried 5 Days a Stranger etc already?

Turambar

Postby Turambar » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:07 pm UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:Did you get the package that includes the expansion too? You would be surprised how much more interesting the game is when you add stronger orbital defenses.

Well, I found the original for pretty cheap and as the expansion is only $10, the two separately add up to less than the package deals I could find. I'll probably buy it in a bit once I've familiarized myself with the expansionless version.
--Richard Feynman

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:14 pm UTC

So three of my friends who aren't really gamers anymore but used to be, decided they wanted to get xbox 360's and start playing xbox live 4 way. These guys are all pretty smart and good at games, but wouldn't want to play an RPG or anything that was a serious time or thinking input.

So I've never played xbox live games, and need a recommendation for something strategyish, competitive, quick, but involved enough that we can keep at it for a while.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:18 pm UTC

Castle Crashers would be good for that.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:59 pm UTC

What you want is Marvel vs Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes, Street Fighter 4 and/or Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo High Definition Remix. Especially Mahvel, though.

The only problem with this is that you will all need arcade sticks. Thankfully, since Marvel vs Capcom 2 is only $15 USD, and a Hori EX2 (a fairly good stick) only costs $50, you end up only paying $5 more than a regular new game. You can also use the stick with a PC, and play fighting games on GGPO.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

henre
Location: A healthy soul clings to a healthy spirit and a healthy body.

Postby henre » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:04 am UTC

Turambar wrote:Hey all, I'm looking to buy a new PC game and am trawling for suggestions. I generally prefer RTS/TBS games or FPS with a strong strategy element. I like RPGs as well, preferably ones with good multiplayer. High replayability is important. To give you an idea, my two favorite games of recent years have been Battlefield 2142 and Empire: Total War. Also well-loved are Alpha Centauri, Neverwinter Nights, and CSS.

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, Neverwinter Nights 2 and Civilization 4 are great.

...Who am I kidding? CivIV is completely addictive.
An airplane, a puppet, an orange, a spoon,
A window, and outside: stars, and the moon.

ʇɟıɥs sı ʎɹʇ oʇ ʇɟǝl ƃuıɥʇ ʎluo ǝɥʇ sǝɯıʇǝɯos

toiletduckuk

Postby toiletduckuk » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:33 am UTC

Is there a WoW methadone type substitute? I have a lot of time to kill at the moment (weird living situation of having to take a job in my parent's town, recession and all), and I'm killing by returning to the massive timesink that is Warcraft. Lost about a year of my life playing high end endgame, tried to do the same this time (endgame raiding, that is - losing a year really isn't the idea!) but the high end just doesn't work these days, and the casual side doesn't last very long when you're putting a lot of time in... so I'm just spending a lot of time in game frustrated.

Anyway, I'm kind of bad at FPS's, but loved CoD4 with it's progression/rpg elements even if you did get shot in the face more than you should. Any other online games with similar kinds of progression milestones? Another MMO probably isn't the answer, for what it's worth!

kinigget

Postby kinigget » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:25 pm UTC

go to gametap, and download Deus Ex. You will thank me for this. It's not exactly an online game, but it is exactly what you're looking for otherwise, progression/rpg elements, skill system, many ways to complete any objective, it's good stuff. As for the being bad at fps games bit, so am I, and I've made it pretty far, the game prefers you to use stealth over force, so you get to hide in corners and snipe people if you run out of options.

edit: apparently Deus Ex is no longer a free game on gametap, but the premium subscription is only about ten dollars a month, if you can afford that, get it, it is worth your while.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I can tell from his word choice that he is using his penis to type.

Steax wrote:I think the courts are kinda busy right now. Something about cake and due process.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:41 pm UTC

Nethack. Not online, nor any real visual milestones. Really, you don't *win* at Nethack, you just do a little better every time.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:51 pm UTC

Alternatively, Tetris. Best played alone and no significant visual milestones (other than getting to specific scores, etc.), but the best game timesink I've ever played.
Spoiler:

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:46 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Really, you don't *win* at Nethack, you just do a little better every time.
Speak for yourself.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:30 pm UTC

toiletduckuk wrote:Is there a WoW methadone type substitute? I have a lot of time to kill at the moment (weird living situation of having to take a job in my parent's town, recession and all), and I'm killing by returning to the massive timesink that is Warcraft. Lost about a year of my life playing high end endgame, tried to do the same this time (endgame raiding, that is - losing a year really isn't the idea!) but the high end just doesn't work these days, and the casual side doesn't last very long when you're putting a lot of time in... so I'm just spending a lot of time in game frustrated.

Anyway, I'm kind of bad at FPS's, but loved CoD4 with it's progression/rpg elements even if you did get shot in the face more than you should. Any other online games with similar kinds of progression milestones? Another MMO probably isn't the answer, for what it's worth!

Methadone for an MMO? TES: Morrowind. It's 10x as addicting as any MMO but... thank god... it has an ending. You can run out of stuff to do in ~200 hours and from then on all MMOs will seem like bad copies with whiny kids.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:01 pm UTC

JayDee wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Really, you don't *win* at Nethack, you just do a little better every time.
Speak for yourself.
See, unless you ascend as a blind, deaf, mute quadrapalegic with no pet that never prayed or used items and was a vegetarian.. can you really say that you won?

Armadillo Al

Postby Armadillo Al » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:11 pm UTC

Since it's a single player game, I believe I can do whatever I feel like, stumble through the darkness for five minutes, and declare that I have won.

Not that I'd actually do such a thing...but if the goal of the game is presumably 'to reach the end and ascend', should I ever actually succeed at accomplishing said feat, I would consider myself teh winnar.

As for game recommendations...I find myself in possession of a PSP, and after a failed attempt to sell the thing on eBay, I figure I might as well keep the damn thing. Any games actually worth playing on this thing, preferably in the RPG and/or puzzle genres, or possibly an old-school shooter?
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:06 pm UTC

Puzzle quest.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

kinigget

Postby kinigget » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:03 pm UTC

supposedly there is a Star Ocean game that was released on PSP, I think it was a remake of the original, so that's one if you like Star Ocean.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I can tell from his word choice that he is using his penis to type.

Steax wrote:I think the courts are kinda busy right now. Something about cake and due process.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:42 am UTC

Valkyrie profile is a good RPG for the PSP. I'd also suggest Monster Hunter, but that is a bit more of an action/combat game, with the RPG aspects being more equipment based (and no real plot), and this is where a discussion would ensue trying to define a "rpg" because honestly, so many games fall under the category that you can call almost anything an RPG so long as you throw in some stats.

Valkyrie profile is really more of a plot-based game, and does have a unique battle system. So if I had to suggest just one, that would be mine.

TechiesGoBoom

Postby TechiesGoBoom » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:10 pm UTC

Alright, I'm looking for a new game, most likely an RPG, but I'm not entirely sure. So my idea is that I will list my favorite games, and hopefully someone can make sense of all of this. There is no need for the game to be recent. I have a computer, every Nintendo system except the Wii(sold it for rent money, just never played it), and possibly a PS3 and 360 if the roommates have them.
My favorite game of all time is Lufia 2 for the SNES
I love Morrowind, but after at least a thousand hours I think I can say that I have beat the game, for now. Oblivion was good, but simply meh compared to Morrowind.
Neverwinter was great, same with Baldur's Gate/
Can't forget about D2.
Recently Dota, a use map settings from WC3 has eaten countless hours of my time
I love most all of the Zelda games, Twilight Princess was simply ok, and I never game Windwaker a chance.
Fallout 3 was great, as was Mass Effect. Bioshock was pretty good, not a huge fan of FPS, but the RPG elements were great, as were the nods to Ayn Rand.
as sad as this sounds, I enjoy the Harvest Moon games.
Pomkemon, Ogre Battle, Quest 64, Pikmin, Tales of Symphonia, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, all of the Megamans, Simcity 2000, The metroid games(SNES was the best), all of Mario, and Ratchet and Clank are all worth mentioning as favorites also
Sadly i have never played a Final Fantasy Game, and I am looking to fix that very soon.
I apologize for the giant wall of text, but I'm really looking for games that I can get completely lost in, and this is the best way i could think of, Thanks to everyone in advance!

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:17 pm UTC

Well Final Fantasy Tactics is a wonderful strategy game for the PlayStation. You might even be able to legally buy it now because it was a "greatest hits" title. Also, it recently came out on the PSP. A very deep battle system which is supposed to be pretty similar to Ogre Battle, an epic political storyline, the graphical style is charming and doesn't look too outdated, excellent music. I can only think of two downsides to the game - first, the original translation was a bit poor (mostly OK, but sometimes some sentences were really awkward, not sure if they translated again for the PSP) and second, it's very difficult for me not to insanely power-level on replaying. What I mean is, by the third or fourth story battle, my party is practically set for the rest of the game... Still fun though. :)
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

TechiesGoBoom

Postby TechiesGoBoom » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:50 pm UTC

Ive actually played Final Fantasy Tactics and enjoyed it, although i didnt get a chance to beat it. great suggestion! Im not sure its exactly what I'm looking for, although I think i might get it. Im open to more suggestions if anyone else has them :)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:53 pm UTC

Dwarf Fortress.

("But Talon, that's your answer to everything!" "First, it's always correct. And second, shut up.")

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:46 pm UTC

@Techies: I highly recommend Star Ocean 2. Also, Star Ocean 1 was recently released for PSP, and while pretty good, it is not nearly as epic as it's sequel. If you want to spoil yourself with the FF series, I suggest starting with FF3, then jumping straight to 7, and skipping to X. 12 Was the next good one (I HAVE SPOKEN!)
Have you tried going back to the roots? Chrono Trigger?
And if you like Harvest Moon games, check out RuneFactory for the DS, it was hella addictive yo.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

aion7

Postby aion7 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:46 pm UTC

TechiesGoBoom, you may want to look into TitanQuest. Think Diablo 2 with a modern interface, a cool class system, and pretty graphics injected with a thick dosage of various mythologies.
Spoiler:

internets++ for aion7.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:14 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:@Techies: I highly recommend Star Ocean 2. Also, Star Ocean 1 was recently released for PSP, and while pretty good, it is not nearly as epic as it's sequel. If you want to spoil yourself with the FF series, I suggest starting with FF3, then jumping straight to 7, and skipping to X. 12 Was the next good one (I HAVE SPOKEN!)
Have you tried going back to the roots? Chrono Trigger?
And if you like Harvest Moon games, check out RuneFactory for the DS, it was hella addictive yo.

Final Fantasy I was and is a good game which I have played through something like four times. (Once, regularly. Then with all fighters. Then with all red mages. Then with all monks. Or did I do thieves? I don't remember. At one point I planned on doing that with every class.)
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:38 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:Final Fantasy I was and is a good game which I have played through something like four times. (Once, regularly. Then with all fighters. Then with all red mages. Then with all monks. Or did I do thieves? I don't remember. At one point I planned on doing that with every class.)

There were some guys who did a single character challenge, one with only a single white mage, one with only a single black mage. And succeeded.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

Armadillo Al

Postby Armadillo Al » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:33 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:@Techies: I highly recommend Star Ocean 2. Also, Star Ocean 1 was recently released for PSP, and while pretty good, it is not nearly as epic as it's sequel. If you want to spoil yourself with the FF series, I suggest starting with FF3, then jumping straight to 7, and skipping to X. 12 Was the next good one (I HAVE SPOKEN!)

Those might be the best, but every single Final Fantasy game in the main series is good. Not a clunker in the bunch. (Cannot say for sure on X-2, since I've yet to actually finish it.)

Anyways, I ended up buying Disgaea for the PSP, and this should keep me entertained for quite awhile, I hope.
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

Return to “Gaming”