What difficulty player are you?

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

razor

What difficulty player are you?

Postby razor » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:13 am UTC

Many games have varying levels of difficulty. Most of these from what I've seen have an easy mode, a medium/normal mode, a hard mode, and a very hard/expert/legendary etc mode

So, in general, what difficulty do you play on?

I consider myself a "hard mode player". On Halo I play on Heroic, on Guitar Hero I play on Hard Mode, in most games I can get up to the third or second highest difficulty. I also like to think of myself as a slightly-above-average-player. Not a pro, but better than a lot of others. I have friends that are more of the "very hard mode" kind and they remind me of it often. XP
"He who remembers much about things that matter not."

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Re: What difficulty player are you?

Postby tryptanymph » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:21 am UTC

Ehh...

I dunno. On FPS games, I tend to play through once on normal, and then go up a level or two... I started and completed Gears Of War on Insane first though.

I play Expert on GH2 and Hard/Expert on GH3 (because I don't own it XD). I like Guitar Hero.

I start most games on normal, then progress as fast as I can. I still suck though. My KDR on games like Team Fortress 2 is pathetic.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

razor

Postby razor » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:48 am UTC

I always start on the easiest difficulty, even if I know I can handle the medium one, that way my brain has a chance to catch up.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:58 am UTC

I usually start on normal (medium, what ever) and end up at the highest.
Last edited by Gelsamel on Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:35 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:17 am UTC

Depends why I'm playing the game. Plus somewhat on what the game is. I couldn't imagine playing Thief on anything but Expert (although I played through on Normal last time when I was seeing how quickly I could race through.) I do tend to play on higher difficulty levels in newer games, because they seem to be so much easier in general than what I grew up with. Sometimes I'll play on normal because it's the only way to unlock the harder difficulties.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:32 am UTC

I usually start on easy and work my way up.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

razor

Postby razor » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:35 am UTC

JayDee wrote:Depends why I'm playing the game. Plus somewhat on what the game is. I couldn't imagine playing Thief on anything but Expert (although I played through on Normal last time when I was seeing how quickly I could race through.) I do tend to play on higher difficulty levels in newer games, because they seem to be so much easier in general than what I grew up with. Sometimes I'll play on normal because it's the only way to unlock the harder difficulties.
I have to agree a lot of the games from the previous generation are much more difficult.

Mandiful

Postby Mandiful » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:37 am UTC

I always start on easy and then work my way up to hard.

Unless I'm accustomed to the game (part of a series, I tend to play similar types, etc.), and then I tend to start on medium.

razor

Postby razor » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:39 am UTC

Mandiful wrote:I always start on easy and then work my way up to hard.

Unless I'm accustomed to the game (part of a series, I tend to play similar types, etc.), and then I tend to start on medium.
I did that with Halo 3, I was doing fine but the campaign is so boring that I can't stand it on any difficulty other than easy.

Gaz

Postby Gaz » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:07 am UTC

Have you played it with 3 other people on Legendary? Then it's fun.

I have weird phobia of singleplayer games, so I normally do easy than/or normal.
Boredom's not a burden anyone should bear.
Wombats are the most underated animal ever.

FACM

Postby FACM » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:04 am UTC

I want to say 'normal, then move up', but most of the games i've played lately haven't had difficulty settings.

Sam and Max had a hint level option, and I set it to none, but that's really more of a 'normal' for an adventure game.

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:20 am UTC

I play whatever the default setting is then work my way up.
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

Awia

Postby Awia » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:10 am UTC

I always start at easy, complete the game, then never play it again, except for a year later when I've lost all my skill in it, so I have to play on easy again.
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

Lt Greatsocks

Postby Lt Greatsocks » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:08 am UTC

I played WOW on easy. (paladin)
Fuck you, I'm the Crowing.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:22 am UTC

I play on whatever I feel like playing...

...except Lost Planet, I played that on easy. Now to go through on EXTREME difficulty, why? Because I'm nuts.

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:28 am UTC

Random games: Medium, because easy is always too easy, but I basically just want to finish the game.
Games I Really Want To Play: Hardest, because I like the challenge, and I want the game to last as long as possible.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Irrefutable

Postby Irrefutable » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:59 am UTC

I ussually start on the highest dificulty unless i think its actually going to be impossible to complete for me on hardest (See : The Total War Series). Games where being easily defeated gets in the way of enjoyment ill tend to go for normal (Like most RPG games) but almost all shooters ill go through on hard or atleast try to.

Also some games seam designed to go through on the hardest dificulty and feel abit silly on anything but (See : The Theif games)
One day something wity and original will appear here

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:54 am UTC

Usually on medium first then working up, though I've made a resolution that any game I buy from now on I will put it on the hardest difficulty the first time through. Makes it more challenging and rewarding.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:50 pm UTC

I play Normal, then, if it was fun, I'll usually play again on Hard.
With something like Brawl, I imagine I'll keep playing until I've clocked it on Every difficulty with every character, no matter how long it takes.
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Crescent

Postby Crescent » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:42 pm UTC

I start on hard normally, then turn it down if it gets too hard, but that doesn't really happen very often. The ones i turn the difficulty down in are usually those which just ramp up the HP and damage of enemies so you just have to spend forever killing them, which aren't really fun, just tedious.
Look, look! I'm a rocket

Irrefutable

Postby Irrefutable » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:43 pm UTC

Crescent wrote:I start on hard normally, then turn it down if it gets too hard, but that doesn't really happen very often. The ones i turn the difficulty down in are usually those which just ramp up the HP and damage of enemies so you just have to spend forever killing them, which aren't really fun, just tedious.

I played Half Life 2 on normal purely so i could bunny hop everywhere and so a double shotgun blast was actually fatal :)
One day something wity and original will appear here

razor

Postby razor » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:06 pm UTC

I don't usually like it when the only thing that changes in a game when you increase the difficulty is how much health enemies have. Then it just takes way too long to kill anything. I like it when the increase in difficulty causes you to think more before you move. I like playing Halo 2 on Heroic. I can do it, but there are times where I'll reach a part where I am repeatedly dying and I wind up having to come up with different strategies to get through.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:09 pm UTC

Easy, always. I like to play for the experience, not the challenge.

"The Darkness" is really the only game I've been compelled to play on medium.
Too scared to try Hard.

Sparv

Postby Sparv » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:30 pm UTC

Irrefutable wrote:I ussually start on the highest dificulty unless i think its actually going to be impossible to complete for me on hardest (See : The Total War Series). Games where being easily defeated gets in the way of enjoyment ill tend to go for normal (Like most RPG games) but almost all shooters ill go through on hard or atleast try to.

I do EXACTLY the same. That's where I have an interresting challenge.

EDIT: But usually I set the recent RPG at max difficulty: I played Jade Empire, Mass Effect and The Witcher at the hardest setting, but I play Baldur's gate 2 at the normal setting. The recent games are far easier than the old ones. Fuckin' casuals.
Last edited by Sparv on Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:43 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Shit happens

Semidi

Postby Semidi » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:40 pm UTC

On FPS

I like the next to the hardest difficulty as the hardest difficulty is usually a bitch to do, and normal can be too easy. Playing on easy is just a waste of cash.

However, if the game is one of those that are actually REALLY hard like STALKER, I play on normal.

On RTS

I start on easy until I figure the game out, then I go up to normal, and hard ect.

On RPGs

Normal difficulty please.
"If you can't imagine how anyone could hold a view you are attacking, you just don't understand it yet."

DYRE

Postby DYRE » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:55 pm UTC

Most games, I start on Normal.
If I like the game enough to play again, I try to play on the hardest difficulty, and lower it if it's too hard.

Generally, though, I don't play games over again, and so I don't end up playing games on difficulties higher than normal. Except Guitar Hero and similar games. I at least try to play on higher difficulties (and, except for in Guitar Hero, I tend to fail miserably)

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:11 pm UTC

It depends on which game, most games I start out on Normal, then gauge from there. With Halo 3 though, or any of the halos, I start on easy and work my way up to legendary; even if I could manage legendary from the start. I do to adjust to new controls, weapons, and game mechanics. Once I feel I know the game well enough I go on up to normal, then heroic and so on.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:51 pm UTC

Can't really give a definite difficulty score, as the meaning behind the labels varies so much between games. Generally I find the first difficulty level that starts to present a challenge, then stick with that. I'm generally not interested in going harder than that.

However, give me a tactical strategy and I'm all over the hardest modes.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:34 pm UTC

It really depends on the game. With FPS' I normally go for normal, unless that's too easy, then I go up a difficulty. Rhythm games I always start with the easiest, and blow through eveything until the second to last, which I struggle with and never complete. With strategy games (real time and turn based) I normally beat the first difficulty, then ramp up until I can't anymore. 3D action games (by this I mean like Legacy of Kain or Bloodrayne) I go for normal, but if that's too easy I go up a difficulty. Diablo-like ARPGs are highest difficulty only in my book. I play sidescrollers exclusively on the hardest difficulty as well, with a few exceptions. Fighting games I practice on lower difficulties until I can go through higher ones without much challenge, with a few notable exceptions (I am terrible at Mortal Kombat and similar games, so I only play them on easy, and I play Smash Bros.with enemies level seven and up, always). Most other games I play don't have difficulty settings.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?

Postby Lumpy » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:29 am UTC

I use the lowest difficulty when playing cinematic-feeling games, because I enjoy it most for the storyline. I might use another if it involves getting a sufficiently long cut scene for the greater challenge, as opposed to a 20-second alternate ending for a setting where you might get past the first boss battle after five hours.

razor

Postby razor » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:07 am UTC

I'm seeing a trend here. It seems the most common thing is for people to start at the normal difficulty and work their way up. I remember at age 12 or so when I thought I was a pro because I could beat easy/very easy mode in games. Now, while I still always start at the lowest difficulty, I almost always manage to make my way to the second highest difficulty. I hope to continue improving as a player and start playing the highest difficulties in any game.

DYRE

Postby DYRE » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:07 am UTC

Or, you could play easier games and make it look like you're doing better. :P

Notch

Postby Notch » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:26 am UTC

Berengal wrote:Random games: Medium, because easy is always too easy, but I basically just want to finish the game.
Games I Really Want To Play: Hardest, because I like the challenge, and I want the game to last as long as possible.

This is exactly what I do.

Also, I don't save. I figured out a long time ago that quicksave/quickload is pretty much God Mode, which will ruin any game (and is also the reason I hated Prey). Sure, sometimes some game won't have a good auto save mode and I'll have to start over from the start of the level, forcing me to do manual saving to save my sanity, but most of the time it works out just fine. The obvious exception being RPGs, that tend to throw you back to the title screen if you die..

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:08 pm UTC

I play medium on any FPS. And hard mode for any RTS. And medium for any turn-based-strategy game. Because hard mode or more tends to be a game of "guess the perfect set of moves for this level" on a tbs game.

dyzzy

Postby dyzzy » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:00 pm UTC

My general methodology is to select the hardest mode available from the get-go, and turn it down if the difficulty is being ramped up in a boring/unfair manner. Call of Duty 4, for instance.

Exception being RTS games: I generally suck at those for a long time before getting used to the tactics, so I go for easy/normal.
//TODO: Write funny sig

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:53 pm UTC

Lumpy wrote:I use the lowest difficulty when playing cinematic-feeling games, because I enjoy it most for the storyline. I might use another if it involves getting a sufficiently long cut scene for the greater challenge, as opposed to a 20-second alternate ending for a setting where you might get past the first boss battle after five hours.

My experience with a game suffers more if it's too difficult.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:45 pm UTC

Call of Duty 4 (single): Played through on Recruit for the experience. Currently playing through on Veteran for the challenge.
Call of Duty 4 (multi): Normal. Hardcore just doesn't appeal to me.
Rock Band (drums): Expert.
Rock Band (bass): Expert.
Rock Band (guitar): Expert; possibly Hard depending on the song.
Rock Band (vocals): Expert if I feel like challenging myself on songs I know pretty well; Easy if I want to fuck around and just have fun with it without failing the rest of the band out.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:50 pm UTC

i usually start on the hardest because im going to end up there anyway
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:42 pm UTC

segmentation fault wrote:i usually start on the hardest because im going to end up there anyway
*cough*
I suggest you play Ninja Gaiden. Immediately. Also Thrill Kill, if you can get a hold of the copy, or Something by SNK, like King of Fighters 11. You'll quickly rethink your position.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:30 am UTC

Eceryone on this thread can just go play the original Ninja Gaiden Trilogy.
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Return to “Gaming”