Diablo III

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Diablo III

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:41 pm UTC

What are your passives? I didn't like Wall of Zombies because of the insanely high CD.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
faranim
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:14 pm UTC
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Diablo III

Postby faranim » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:21 pm UTC

I'm using Jungle Fortitude (20% damage reduction), the Fetish spawning one (3% chance of spawning a fetish for 60 seconds), and Spirit Vessel (Horrify/Spirit Walk cooldown reduced, avoid death once every 90 secs).

I tried using Pierce the Veil, but then ran into mana problems. The Fetish one is kind of useless, but I haven't found anything else that's more useful for my 3rd passive.

I got used to the cooldown on zombie wall. I basically alternate between using Zombie Wall and Horrify. I still have problems with naturally fast mobs who aren't slowed down enough by Grasp of the Dead. But again, I'm only in Act 1 Inferno and I have fairly good defensive stats (20k HP, 3500 Armor, around 500 all Resist, which gives something like 80% damage reduction vs level 60). I could do Act 2 if I really wanted, but Act 1 is like 10x easier, and I really hate the mob types in Act 2 (bees, leapers, the cat-things that throw exploding potions, stuff that burrows, etc)

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Diablo III

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:17 pm UTC

faranim wrote:The Fetish one is kind of useless, but I haven't found anything else that's more useful for my 3rd passive.

You're using a spammable poison primary attack; slot Bad Medicine!!!

Or if that's not a go, switch to Spined Dart and try Pierce the Veil? I have +30% AS and Splinter makes a line of darts.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
BoomFrog
Posts: 1070
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:59 am UTC
Location: Seattle

Re: Diablo III

Postby BoomFrog » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:05 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Anyone know if the garg's defenses were based off your armor?
From reading the main forums (a horrifying task, it's 70% whining at least), I have heard that pets benefit from all your defensive stats except block, +vitality (and maybe +%life). They definitely benefit from your armor and resists, and dodge. It's possible to have useful pets that actually live for a while up to at least A1 inferno. Btw, they also can trigger procs so an item based CC heavy build is possible.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

User avatar
Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:06 pm UTC
Location: Cynicistia

Re: Diablo III

Postby Telchar » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:20 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
faranim wrote:The Fetish one is kind of useless, but I haven't found anything else that's more useful for my 3rd passive.

You're using a spammable poison primary attack; slot Bad Medicine!!!

Or if that's not a go, switch to Spined Dart and try Pierce the Veil? I have +30% AS and Splinter makes a line of darts.


I'd run Spiritual Attunement and Pierce. I run a very similar build with Hex/jinx, Horrify/range, Spirit Walk/Jaunt, Zombie Wall/slow and 80% aoe slow and splinter darts with SA, PtV, and Spirit Vessel. It's not perfect (I'd like to have a better nuke to replace Zombie Wall but trapping elites with it is so damn useful) but it works and makes soloing A1 relatively easy. You need a fast 1h though or you get creamed while your attack animation runs it's course.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

User avatar
Negated
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:31 am UTC

Re: Diablo III

Postby Negated » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:35 pm UTC

Blizzard explicitly mentioned that they are looking for ways to improve pets' survivability, possibly through applying VIT life bonus to pets. It will be interesting to see how pet-centric builds turn out when the patch comes. I think you are right that a heavy chance of effect-on-hit build will be viable.

Sadly, I still cannot see how a Sacrifice build can work even with the pet buffs. The methods to respawn zombie dogs either have too long CD or too unreliable.

Chen
Posts: 5582
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Diablo III

Postby Chen » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:57 pm UTC

Belial in act 2 Inferno is a real pain if you have any lag whatsoever. The first two phases are actually pretty tough, though I can regularly beat them. But Belial is kicking my ass. When his hands go into the ground, those explosions will one shot me through force armor AND diamond skin. I can take one of his hand hits but it's pretty rare I let those hit me. The ground explosions though will inevitably kill me if I even mistime it a little. I figure if I continue practicing more I'll get by it but I think it might need to be a bit more forgiving, at least in terms of how big the explosions actually are (they're bigger than the animation).

Act 1 is now ridiculously easy for me to farm. The Butcher has dropped various good pieces of gear so I've made a decent amount of money. Also it took ~75 hours before I saw a Legendary drop (was also Sever which is terrible), but in the last few days I've had another 2 drop (Eternal Promise ring which sold for about a million and a pair of mediocre Blackthorns pants which sold for 3m). Upped my run speed to 24% which really helps a lot. Only downside is I have crappy bracers now, but hey its worth it.

It still seems faster for me to farm the warden/butcher in Act 1 than it is to farm Zoltan Kulle in Act 2. I suspect when they nerf the mobs a bit Act 2 will be more reasonable to farm though.

I'm also wondering if I should change from my current Shock pulse-Blizzard-Venom Hydra build to a Magic Missile-Arcane Orb-Arcane Hydra build with the passive to slow things that get hit with Arcane damage. Anyone have any experience with wizards in Inferno?

mfb
Posts: 950
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:48 pm UTC

Re: Diablo III

Postby mfb » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:21 pm UTC

30% slow after dealing arcane damage is quite useful. It really helps, and you can easily fire an arcane orb every 2 seconds.
I used this to reach Maghda (with my killing speed better than the champs' killing speed), but as the defensive stats of the wizard are quite bad, I didn't try the other parts of act 2.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Diablo III

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:46 pm UTC

Ran this about 1/4th of the way through A1 Inferno. I have a bit of +MS gear which makes kiting doable, and while fast porting vortexers are a bit tricky to handle, it's worked decently well so far.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

not baby Newt
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:30 pm UTC

Re: Diablo III

Postby not baby Newt » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:45 pm UTC

So. You have to scroll to the bottom of the new Terms of Use, indicating you pretend to have read it, before you can accept. But after a 5-minute timeout you're booted out to the login screen. Decided to read it, got booted out three times then lost patience and very briefly skipped the rest. The timeout seems to enforce that no one reads it. This is probably nothing new..

Barbarian. Furious charge slotted for reduced cooldown per enemy hit, is the best thing ever in nightmare and hell. Spamable against minion swarms, makes you a moving target, quick to activate.

edit to add:
Putting a basic melee attack skill on RMB has the nice feature that you can just hold down the button and if a foe is in range my character will swing, otherwise run towards cursor. Same as in D2 (at least later patches). This gets troublesome with the six-skill restriction though, I don't really want to have any of the other five on LMB. Best would be if I could assign a basic attack that didn't use any skill. Using furious charge there for now, and slowly learning which environmental objects to left-click on and which to attack (hint: look at the cursor). Perhaps this was discussed earlier, have only read the last handful pages.

Kain
Posts: 1140
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:29 am UTC
Location: At the center of the observable universe.

Re: Diablo III

Postby Kain » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:24 pm UTC

well, if you have elective mode enabled, you can drag skills off of the skill bar, so that you can reset the left mouse button to the basic attack *note, do not do this accidentally in a boss fight (would have been worse if I had been running some Nephalim Valor stacks, I guess)*
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

not baby Newt
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:30 pm UTC

Re: Diablo III

Postby not baby Newt » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:59 pm UTC

Ah. But I was hoping to get six skills AND a meaningless basic attack on LMB. Or no attack at all, just interacting. But it doesn't seem possible.

User avatar
The Utilitarian
Posts: 935
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:26 am UTC
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: Diablo III

Postby The Utilitarian » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:02 pm UTC

not baby Newt wrote:So. You have to scroll to the bottom of the new Terms of Use, indicating you pretend to have read it, before you can accept. But after a 5-minute timeout you're booted out to the login screen. Decided to read it, got booted out three times then lost patience and very briefly skipped the rest. The timeout seems to enforce that no one reads it. This is probably nothing new..

Barbarian. Furious charge slotted for reduced cooldown per enemy hit, is the best thing ever in nightmare and hell. Spamable against minion swarms, makes you a moving target, quick to activate.

edit to add:
Putting a basic melee attack skill on RMB has the nice feature that you can just hold down the button and if a foe is in range my character will swing, otherwise run towards cursor. Same as in D2 (at least later patches). This gets troublesome with the six-skill restriction though, I don't really want to have any of the other five on LMB. Best would be if I could assign a basic attack that didn't use any skill. Using furious charge there for now, and slowly learning which environmental objects to left-click on and which to attack (hint: look at the cursor). Perhaps this was discussed earlier, have only read the last handful pages.

Browsing through the Terms of Use after an update recently I was less than thrilled to notice that the section regarding "we're not liable for server downtime" areas expanded significantly, I wonder why.

Frankly I've all but given up on this game for the time being. I'll revisit it after the 1.03 patch but as it stands it's not worth playing. Sure I can farm Act 1 inferno and gear up (by which I mean sell the gear I find and buy other gear off the AH) but without the end goal of spiffy set and unique ("legendary"... you keep using that word) items there's just no reason to. Why would I be playing?
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Diablo III

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:05 pm UTC

not baby Newt wrote:Ah. But I was hoping to get six skills AND a meaningless basic attack on LMB. Or no attack at all, just interacting. But it doesn't seem possible.

Can you clarify what you mean? Not all skills can be slotted into LMB, but I'm not sure this is what you're saying.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

not baby Newt
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:30 pm UTC

Re: Diablo III

Postby not baby Newt » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:18 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Can you clarify what you mean? Not all skills can be slotted into LMB, but I'm not sure this is what you're saying.

I wish to have one skill on RMB, and five skills on keys 1-5. Total six skills.

I wish to continue using LMB for opening chests and clicking on things in inventory.

I do not think this can be done. *Might* be possible to totally replace LMB with 5, including menues. Not desirable.

The musings about basic attack was that I'd like to break breakable things with lmb click still. I hope this was clearer.

User avatar
faranim
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:14 pm UTC
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Diablo III

Postby faranim » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:26 pm UTC

As far as I know, the Left Mouse button is permanently bound to "Move/Interact/Use LMB Skill" and there's nothing you can do about it. This is also annoying for me.

I partially worked around it by re-assigning Spacebar to the "hold position" button so at least now I can force myself to use my primary attack instead of accidentally running towards a pack of mobs due to a misclick.

You can also bind a key to "move" so that the only thing that key will do is move your character.

User avatar
Xanthir
My HERO!!!
Posts: 5426
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:49 am UTC
Location: The Googleplex
Contact:

Re: Diablo III

Postby Xanthir » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:16 am UTC

Why do you want this, in particular? What's wrong with having a signature skill on LMB that makes you want to remove it?
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

not baby Newt
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:30 pm UTC

Re: Diablo III

Postby not baby Newt » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:22 am UTC

Well... LMBis well suited for some cheap spamable skill. But I only have one such in my current build, and as I said above I prefer RMBfor this. This is currently Frenzy (sidearm) for destroying a single foe as fast as possible. Against single foes or messy messes where I don't care who I target I just hold down RMB somewhere outside the fray.

The other skills are
LMB: Furious Charge (dreadnought) for emergency heals mainly. And transport, beating up minions.
1: Leap (Iron impact) is almost as good as ignore pain, and provides transportation too!
2: Revenge (provocation) healing; AoE damage.
3: War Cry (Impunity). Armor and resists. IIRC the resists rune unlocks at 60 which is neat since it's useless with sub-60 gear.
4: Ignore pain (Iron Hide). Ignore 65% of damage. Can be used while stunned. Or rotate leap-ignore pain-leap then kite a while.

None of these five is really ideal for lmb for my playstyle.

Chen
Posts: 5582
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Diablo III

Postby Chen » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:27 pm UTC

The Utilitarian wrote:Frankly I've all but given up on this game for the time being. I'll revisit it after the 1.03 patch but as it stands it's not worth playing. Sure I can farm Act 1 inferno and gear up (by which I mean sell the gear I find and buy other gear off the AH) but without the end goal of spiffy set and unique ("legendary"... you keep using that word) items there's just no reason to. Why would I be playing?


Its really only the Set/Legendary weapons that are really out of whack. A lot of the other Set pieces/Legendary items are extremely good, even low level ones. For the moment its notably the pieces with attack speed on them where you can't normally get it. Or move speed. Tal Rasha's set seems pretty damn good for Magic Finding too. Now clearly you could get a better rare in some of these cases, but that was the case for the most part in D2 as well.

User avatar
Diadem
Posts: 5654
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:03 am UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Diablo III

Postby Diadem » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:01 pm UTC

not baby Newt wrote:Well... LMBis well suited for some cheap spamable skill. But I only have one such in my current build, and as I said above I prefer RMBfor this. This is currently Frenzy (sidearm) for destroying a single foe as fast as possible. Against single foes or messy messes where I don't care who I target I just hold down RMB somewhere outside the fray.

The other skills are
LMB: Furious Charge (dreadnought) for emergency heals mainly. And transport, beating up minions.
1: Leap (Iron impact) is almost as good as ignore pain, and provides transportation too!
2: Revenge (provocation) healing; AoE damage.
3: War Cry (Impunity). Armor and resists. IIRC the resists rune unlocks at 60 which is neat since it's useless with sub-60 gear.
4: Ignore pain (Iron Hide). Ignore 65% of damage. Can be used while stunned. Or rotate leap-ignore pain-leap then kite a while.

None of these five is really ideal for lmb for my playstyle.

You can still bind the LMB to move only, and bind that 6th skill to some other key. I recommend rebinding keys anyway, the default setup is quite clumbersome. I currently have my skills hotkeyed to q, w, a and s, and potions to d. With LMB, RMB and the shift-key left as default. So now I can use shift and skills at the same time, without breaking my fingers. Plus I can reach alt, which I also use fairly regularly.

Edit: I just discovered you can't actually change LMB and RMB. You can't even set an alternative for those 2 skillslots, so you really have to use the left and right mouse button for those skills. Weird. Strange. I wonder why they force that.

But you can bind the move command to something else and use that key to move around by default.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Diablo III

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:36 pm UTC

I guess I just don't understand why it's simply not sufficiently effective to put Frenzy on LMB and Furious Charge on RMB.

The only thing I remapped was 'Stand Still' to R.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen
Posts: 5101
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 am UTC
Location: C:\Users\Xeio\
Contact:

Re: Diablo III

Postby Xeio » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:43 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:But you can bind the move command to something else and use that key to move around by default.
That's nice to know, I've died a lot to *click* "NO NOT ATTACK" *die*.

I still wish I could just set it to only attack when I have the attack without moving button pressed. :|

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Diablo III

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:23 pm UTC

I really wish the game had a move option akin to what BLC does; WASD controls movement, not mouseclicking.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
mosc
Doesn't care what you think.
Posts: 5404
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 3:03 pm UTC

Re: Diablo III

Postby mosc » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:16 pm UTC

I must admit I was pretty surpised when WASD didn't move my character.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

not baby Newt
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:30 pm UTC

Re: Diablo III

Postby not baby Newt » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:09 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:Edit: I just discovered you can't actually change LMB and RMB. You can't even set an alternative for those 2 skillslots, so you really have to use the left and right mouse button for those skills. Weird. Strange. I wonder why they force that.
Yeah, cant change this. Guess they don't think it would get used much, and could confuse people.

But you can bind the move command to something else and use that key to move around by default.

Ah. I'm surprised to find this useful. Tried putting it at '5' for now. Overrides RMB which I don't mind.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Diablo III

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:33 pm UTC

I don't really see why this is terribly important though, given that there's still a "Don't Move" key you can map to anything you want.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers
Posts: 2762
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:24 am UTC

Re: Diablo III

Postby setzer777 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:59 am UTC

Do AOE attacks (like plague) heal vampiric elites who spawn them? Group of us took forever to bring them down, and I'm wondering if that was it (two monks and a wizard, with pets for each monk, all the melee standing in the puddles).

Edit: also, it was my first time playing a public game - lots of fun! A lot of Monk skills seem a lot more useful in a group.
Last edited by setzer777 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

User avatar
Aaeriele
Posts: 2127
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:30 am UTC
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: Diablo III

Postby Aaeriele » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:02 am UTC

setzer777 wrote:Do AOE attacks (like plague) heal vampiric elites who spawn them? Group of us took forever to bring them down, and I'm wondering if that was it (two monks and a wizard, with pets for each monk, all the melee standing in the puddles).


Wouldn't be surprised; it'd be consistent with how all other lifesteal works.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

User avatar
The Utilitarian
Posts: 935
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:26 am UTC
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: Diablo III

Postby The Utilitarian » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:21 am UTC

Aaeriele wrote:
setzer777 wrote:Do AOE attacks (like plague) heal vampiric elites who spawn them? Group of us took forever to bring them down, and I'm wondering if that was it (two monks and a wizard, with pets for each monk, all the melee standing in the puddles).


Wouldn't be surprised; it'd be consistent with how all other lifesteal works.

Depends. For instance, the spinning lasers which Arcane enchanted monsters create are actually their own separate entities. You can tell since if you're killed by one, you'll receive a death from "Arcane Sentry" rather than the creature itself. If I had to guess, I would imagine Plague puddles and Desecration are separate entities and Molten is connected to the monster, but you'd need to test.
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

Kain
Posts: 1140
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:29 am UTC
Location: At the center of the observable universe.

Re: Diablo III

Postby Kain » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:37 am UTC

The Utilitarian wrote:
Aaeriele wrote:
setzer777 wrote:Do AOE attacks (like plague) heal vampiric elites who spawn them? Group of us took forever to bring them down, and I'm wondering if that was it (two monks and a wizard, with pets for each monk, all the melee standing in the puddles).


Wouldn't be surprised; it'd be consistent with how all other lifesteal works.

Depends. For instance, the spinning lasers which Arcane enchanted monsters create are actually their own separate entities. You can tell since if you're killed by one, you'll receive a death from "Arcane Sentry" rather than the creature itself. If I had to guess, I would imagine Plague puddles and Desecration are separate entities and Molten is connected to the monster, but you'd need to test.


If we are just going by the death notifications, Plague and Desecration are both associated with the monster (from what I remember from Nightmare, when it was a lot easier to figure out what killed me...)
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

User avatar
Diadem
Posts: 5654
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:03 am UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Diablo III

Postby Diadem » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:40 am UTC

So I attached an authenticator to my account today for the RMAH.

That worked. Then I wanted to add the SMS protect (because you need to have the same protection twice in different ways. I have no clue why). This didn't work. I entered the SMS it sent me, but the game didn't accept it. I tried this 3 times, and each time, while 100% sure I entered the right code, the server refused to accept it. So I opened a support ticket, and blizzard retalliated by locking me out of my account.

They locked me out because of "Suspicious activity". Yeah. Right. A guy who never changed his email address, logging in from the same IP he has been using for months, who has just added an authenticator, trying to add SMS protect on the same mobile number. VERY suspicious indeed.

You'd think I could use my authenticator to unlock my account - I mean, what else is it for? - but you'd be wrong. I could only activate it again by either entering my security question - but I always enter a random string of keystrokes for those (Because security questions are fucking bullshit. They are either glaringly huge security holes, or you do as I do and enter a complex random code, making them a secondary password. But why would I want that? If I can't remember a password I use every day, what makes them think I can remember one I never use? It wouldn't be so bad if they were opt-out. But nooooo, it's always mandatory to enter one. Ok, sorry for the rantception.) or by entering a CD key from one of my games. But Diablo 3 is an online purchase, so I don't even have one for that. Luckily I did not buy Starcraft II online, so I do have a CD key for that game. So I got my account back, after a lot of work.

But I got very close to being permanently locked out of my account because of Blizzard's triple stupidity (1st sending the wrong SMS code, 2nd locking me out despite none of my actions being remotely suspicious and 3rd having a stupid sytem for getting back access to a locked account.). I'm pretty pissed. I thought authenticators were supposed to make my account more secure.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Diablo III

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:53 am UTC

Bummer! I had no problem at all linking my account to my Droid authenticator. Glad it got straightened out.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Soralin
Posts: 1347
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 12:06 am UTC

Re: Diablo III

Postby Soralin » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:00 am UTC

Diadem wrote:I thought authenticators were supposed to make my account more secure.

Well, you can't get much more secure than an account that no one can ever access. :)

not baby Newt
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:30 pm UTC

Re: Diablo III

Postby not baby Newt » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:49 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I don't really see why this is terribly important though, given that there's still a "Don't Move" key you can map to anything you want.

Not terribly important, but it's nice to keep preferences and muscle memory reflexes from D2. Strangely, for a while I found myself tapping '1' before any battle. Maybe I had that configured to my default rmb-skill in D2... not sure.

Gave in and using lmb again. Fits better with the interface. Also using cleave for now, murdering one foe of a pack at the time with frenzy is a neat idea but so many of them spam fear/knockback that frenzy doesn't stack enough to do good damage.

Chen
Posts: 5582
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Diablo III

Postby Chen » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:07 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:But I got very close to being permanently locked out of my account because of Blizzard's triple stupidity (1st sending the wrong SMS code, 2nd locking me out despite none of my actions being remotely suspicious and 3rd having a stupid sytem for getting back access to a locked account.). I'm pretty pissed. I thought authenticators were supposed to make my account more secure.


Well actually entering the wrong code for the SMS repeatedly is probably what tripped the system for "suspicious" activity. Now why it was giving you the wrong code I don't know. I do wonder whether it has to do with using an SMS service that is not in the Americas (at least from what I can see on your location).

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Diablo III

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:05 pm UTC

not baby Newt wrote:Not terribly important, but it's nice to keep preferences and muscle memory reflexes from D2. Strangely, for a while I found myself tapping '1' before any battle. Maybe I had that configured to my default rmb-skill in D2... not sure.

I don't see why; D2's control scheme was even more hackneyed than D3's. Especially considering most builds were centered around 2-4 skills, not 6.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
zed0
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:00 pm UTC

Re: Diablo III

Postby zed0 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:34 pm UTC

Chen wrote:I'm also wondering if I should change from my current Shock pulse-Blizzard-Venom Hydra build to a Magic Missile-Arcane Orb-Arcane Hydra build with the passive to slow things that get hit with Arcane damage. Anyone have any experience with wizards in Inferno?

I haven't really done much in Act 2 yet but at the moment I'm fairly reliably doing butcher runs with no deaths using: Ray of Frost-Blizzard-Venom Hydra.
I had a similar build previously with Magic Weapon instead of Teleport but I kept dying to elites with Waller/Jailer. So far this has done me pretty well does enough damage to actually allow me to kill the Butcher before his enrage timer kills me. I'm currently on about 25k DPS and 25k HP, can't remember my resistances offhand.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Diablo III

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:47 am UTC

I was using a build similar to that, but found that it wasn't mobile enough. I now use something like this. I swap between penetrating magic missile and electrocute, and between magic weapon and familiar. A lot of different ways to run the wizard. I sometimes swap to this but find orbs move too slow for my tastes.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Chen
Posts: 5582
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Diablo III

Postby Chen » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:30 pm UTC

So I switched to:

Magic Missile - Seeker
Arcane Orb - Celestial Orb
Hydra - Venom Hydra
Teleport - Fracture
Diamond Skin - Crystal shell
Energy Armor - Force armor
Glass Cannon, Illusionist, Galvanic Armor (this last one could probably be something else)

And its working like a charm. I'm using the Scoundrel as my follower with a frost damage bow and all IAS increasing gear. With multishot he can keep very large groups slowed so I don't have to worry about it. For single tough enemies kiting with seeker magic missile is extremely easy since you don't really have to aim that much. I just killed Siegebreaker in A3. Damage is around 35k and health is also around the 35k area. There are some groups I can't be bothered to kill yet but I think that's more due to a lack of DPS on my part. I've really found that run speed of 25% is extremely useful. I'd go so far as to say is necessary for almost any non-melee build.

mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: Diablo III

Postby mike-l » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:16 pm UTC

1.0.3 is out. Act 2-4 damage nerfs, chest/vase farming nerfed. Warden got a huge buff, he's now Extra Fast, Molten, Desecrator, Jailor, instead of just Jailor. Ilvls are now displayed and ilvl 63 gear drops all through inferno now. Woo.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.


Return to “Gaming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests