Page 2 of 6

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:16 am UTC
by Nexuapex
Kerberos wrote:Starcraft + Warcraft 3 = Starcraft with a world editor that doesn't suck.
The Orange Box + <Blizzard game here> = Portal and HL2 on Macs. (Headcrab zombies in TF2 would also be amusing.) (So would GLaDOS chattering happily as you trek through Ravensholm, shearing zombies in half with gravity-gun-propelled saw blades.)
Diablo I + Diablo II = Diablo III

What you said. Starcraft + WC3 = Starcraft II, from what I've heard.

Sir_Elderberry wrote:Ugh, but what if it had a heroes system? You must be careful. Some RTSs man was not meant to modify.

Starcraft II will have a Heroes system. (Though Starcraft II multi-player will not.)

Diablo II + World of Warcraft + Dwarf Fortress. MMO with alterable world with Diablo's controls and UI, yes please.
Neverwinter Nights 2 + Warcraft III. Give me that editor please.

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:25 pm UTC
by Woxor
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas + Grand Theft Auto IV = GTA: Entertaining Gameplay AND Realistic Physics! Both in the same game! It just might work!!

Also, like many others, I've always thought that the GTA framework (particularly with the more modern physics engines) would work well in other genres (fantasy, western, future, etc.), despite the possible lack of Autos. So I'll throw in a GTA IV + Neverwinter Nights or something.

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:24 pm UTC
by hendusoone
X-Wing and/or TIE Fighter + Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight, for a Star Wars game that covers pretty much everything and does it all very well.

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:29 pm UTC
by willwithskills
Call of Duty 4 + The Sims 2

What do you get? How the hell should I know, but it sounds cool.

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:01 pm UTC
by Kerberos
Nexuapex wrote:Starcraft II will have a Heroes system. (Though Starcraft II multi-player will not.)

*hiss* Death to SC2! Not having it in multiplayer makes it slightly better, but micromanaging multiple bases is irritating enough for me without needing to worry about constantly having one guy in combat because I need him to get über-powerful ASAP.



About Darkfall (mentioned earlier), I can see two directions the full looting plus no safe zones could go. First, rampant PKing. Characters probably wouldn't last a week, except maybe a few that just ground so much so quickly that they're almost invincible. Second, nobody collects any items because doing so would make you a ripe target for PKers.

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:47 pm UTC
by SteelDraco
Woxor wrote:Also, like many others, I've always thought that the GTA framework (particularly with the more modern physics engines) would work well in other genres (fantasy, western, future, etc.), despite the possible lack of Autos. So I'll throw in a GTA IV + Neverwinter Nights or something.

Grand Theft Horse: Dodge City would be the coolest game ever. Or perhaps even Grand Theft Steamcar: Deseret (the Deadlands adaption). That is a fantastic idea for a game, and one that I would really love to see happen.

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:14 pm UTC
by SecondTalon
SteelDraco wrote:
Woxor wrote:Also, like many others, I've always thought that the GTA framework (particularly with the more modern physics engines) would work well in other genres (fantasy, western, future, etc.), despite the possible lack of Autos. So I'll throw in a GTA IV + Neverwinter Nights or something.

Grand Theft Horse: Dodge City would be the coolest game ever. Or perhaps even Grand Theft Steamcar: Deseret (the Deadlands adaption). That is a fantastic idea for a game, and one that I would really love to see happen.

The best engine I can see for that so far would be an expanded Mount and Blade engine. At least, for smacking down people on horseback and jacking their ride.

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:26 pm UTC
by nsmjohn
I was thinking:

Battlefield 2142(large battlefield, standard classes, online play) + Ninja Gaidan(fast paced ninja class, with badass weapons) = Large scale combat with the ability to select a ninja class. Bum rushing and cutting to pieces a person who is shooting at you, online, would kick so much ass.

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:48 am UTC
by Babam
^^^^
||||
Play Gunz the Duel, be happy.

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:57 am UTC
by aleflamedyud
Sonic Adventure with Portal. I want to shoot portals while moving at 100 mph.

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:17 am UTC
by aion7
aleflamedyud wrote:Sonic Adventure with Portal. I want to shoot portals while moving at 100 mph.

Pfft. Add F-Zero in there so it's 3,000 mph, and you have better gameplay music. Also add Star Wars: the Force Unleashed, so you can force push people with realistic physics at the same speed.

TimeSplitters 2 + Beyond Good and Evil + Portal + Deus Ex = a great FPS with PC controls (my major problem with TS2 is the lack of these) portals a fantastic story with very good and realistic characters, RPG elements, and epic humor. Maybe you go back to the 1880s, and get Oscar Wilde to come with you.

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:37 am UTC
by Lt Greatsocks
emceng wrote:What would they be and why?

What would I like to see?

Say, Chromehounds with CoD4. Maybe with some BF2142 thrown in.

I would really like to see a more persistent world environment for a FPS. When I absolutely kick ass, I want it to mean something. Sure I get points at the end of the match, but then you just move on to another map.

Which brings up another game to add in - Daggerfall. The huge number of dungeons was really cool - if the # of different battlefields could be similar to this...drool. You would be able to require objective type games for certain maps, etc. or 'home team' advantages if one side is more on the defensive. Almost like the conquer the galaxy mode in Star Wars: Battlefront 2.

Hmm, and really I wonder how much effort it would take? They could easily use their own game library to have a good set of maps ....

Dang, the more I think about this, the more I want to play the game that's in my head.


Another idea - more of a short game like XBL Arcade - would be to take the destructible world from Katamari Damancy, and use it as a playground as a dinosaur. I mean really, who doesn't want to play a T-Rex smashing a city(and as much as I enjoyed Rampage, it is not the same thing).


If you're looking for a persistent environment in an FPS you should look into Fallen Earth. It looks pretty cool.

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:40 pm UTC
by emceng
I thought of another though this almost falls into the sequel category. Birthright, by Sierra combined a bunch of different gameplay elements. It was essentially a turn based strategy game with real time battles and the occasional dungeon crawl - similar to Lords of the Realm 2. It was somewhat broken due to a number of issues(dungeon crawls were useless/pointless), but overall it was a neat idea. It also seemed to have deeper gameplay than many strategy games out there.

So I guess what I would like to see is a combo of parts of Oblivion, Civ4, and maybe an RTS for the combat. Or maybe a non-crappy LotR sequel combined with a bit of kingly adventuring.

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:50 pm UTC
by Roland Lockheart
Pong+Wii Tenis

Wait...that isn't a good idea at all...

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:14 pm UTC
by Ishindri
Mirror's Edge + Portal. It would be fantastic.

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm UTC
by CogDissident
emceng wrote:I thought of another though this almost falls into the sequel category. Birthright, by Sierra combined a bunch of different gameplay elements. It was essentially a turn based strategy game with real time battles and the occasional dungeon crawl - similar to Lords of the Realm 2. It was somewhat broken due to a number of issues(dungeon crawls were useless/pointless), but overall it was a neat idea. It also seemed to have deeper gameplay than many strategy games out there.

So I guess what I would like to see is a combo of parts of Oblivion, Civ4, and maybe an RTS for the combat. Or maybe a non-crappy LotR sequel combined with a bit of kingly adventuring.

Try Mount and Blade. It has an Oblivion-like combat system, but an overworld system that you range around on doing quests and going from town to town. It sounds very similar to Birthright that you suggest above.

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:22 pm UTC
by Sir_Elderberry
Nexuapex wrote:
Sir_Elderberry wrote:Ugh, but what if it had a heroes system? You must be careful. Some RTSs man was not meant to modify.

Starcraft II will have a Heroes system. (Though Starcraft II multi-player will not.)


Hm, I've been out of the SC2-loop for a few months now, but last I heard it would have a "hero system" the same way SC1 did--storyline characters will kick lots of ass. I haven't seen anything saying that it will have the RPG elements and such that wc3 did.

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:27 pm UTC
by nsmjohn
Babamthegrunt wrote:^^^^
||||
Play Gunz the Duel, be happy.

Oh me yarm, it looks so awesome.

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:31 pm UTC
by CogDissident
Like all korean MMOs, it looks beautiful, and has the most shallow gameplay in the world.

It really is a pretty awful game to play.

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:52 pm UTC
by Durinthal
Experience/leveling mechanics and crafting from DragonRealms +
Economic and market systems from EVE Online +
Combat system from Mount & Blade +
Open world and spell system from Asheron's Call +
Items and dungeon puzzles from every Zelda game =
the MMORPG I want to play for the rest of my life (missing a few things like a good guild system and player-built cities, but I don't know of a game that does those well).

Darkfall is nice on paper, but won't be out for a few years (if ever) and will probably miss half of its claimed features if it does get released. They've been claiming they're close to a closed beta since at least 2006 if not earlier. If I'm wrong and it comes out this year I'll be ecstatic, but I'm not holding my breath.

Edit: 600th post is about my dream game. Sweet.

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:57 pm UTC
by tryptanymph
Durinthal wrote:(missing a few things like a good guild system and player-built cities, but I don't know of a game that does those well).

Neverwinter Nights (I can't speak for the 2nd one, but it's supposedly got a good toolset) Online is ALL user built worlds. Can't help ya with guild systems though.

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:25 am UTC
by Durinthal
Those are DM tools, not player tools.. though it would be interesting to adapt it.

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:54 pm UTC
by aion7
Zelda + GTA4 + Ninja Gaiden + WiiMotion plus + Mirrors Edge = Freeroaming combat awesomeness

Viewtiful Joe + Devil May Cry + Zelda = Ultra-stylish epic adventure with sweet combat

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:59 pm UTC
by drconcon
GTA IV + Half Life 2 = A really kick-ass FPS crime game.
Command and Conquer + Half Life 2 = Half Life Wars! Cannot wait!
Dino Park Tycoon + The Sims = OH, THE HUMANITY!
Pandemic 2 (Online game) + Zombies (Not a game... Just zombies) = A really wicked Pandemic game.

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:13 am UTC
by aion7
Oh, I meant to say this one a while ago, but "better late than never", right?

Geometry Wars: Galaxies + The Legend of Zelda (the original NES one)

I wanted this ever since finishing Galaxies last winter. What you do is take Galaxies, and add some adventure to it. Meaning a large, open world. In glorious 2D.

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:58 am UTC
by tryptanymph
Hey guys, I had an idea for a best selling game!

Right... imagine the SIMS... now make it Sims: BIG BROTHER.

It's probably been done. Just imagine it. You have to keep all 12 or 27 or 43729125469 of the fuckers happy, clean, and so on, but you also have to worry about ratings, and the buying of food within budget and task mini-games and so on. For this reason, you will have to initiate fights, sexual encounters, drunken rule breaking, and other such behaviours.

Now package it with the Big Brother logo...

AND BLAM. We earn Infinity Billion dollars from poor suckers willing to buy any old piece of shit mod for The Sims because it has their favourite unscripted pile of shit show on the cover.

Thoughts?

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:36 pm UTC
by Indon
Pokemon + WoW (or really, any MMO-ization of Pokemon).

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:56 pm UTC
by mosc
I'm far older than this will make me sound but what the hell:

I've always wanted a combination of DBZ (roll your eyes here) and an elder scrolls type western RPG. Basically I want a fun world to explore with powerful enemies but instead of casting spells and swinging a sword, I want a fighting game type fast paced brawler style gameplay. Leveling would make you a stronger character who would gradually go from a normal human level fighter walking around to one capable of flying around and blowing up cities with the flick of a wrist.

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:20 am UTC
by Nexuapex
Sir_Elderberry wrote:Hm, I've been out of the SC2-loop for a few months now, but last I heard it would have a "hero system" the same way SC1 did--storyline characters will kick lots of ass. I haven't seen anything saying that it will have the RPG elements and such that wc3 did.

Dunno about the campaign, but the editor will have support for Heroes a la WC3—a Blizzard employee said so in a thread about DotA (blech).

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:33 am UTC
by tryptanymph
mosc wrote:I'm far older than this will make me sound but what the hell:

I've always wanted a combination of DBZ (roll your eyes here) and an elder scrolls type western RPG. Basically I want a fun world to explore with powerful enemies but instead of casting spells and swinging a sword, I want a fighting game type fast paced brawler style gameplay. Leveling would make you a stronger character who would gradually go from a normal human level fighter walking around to one capable of flying around and blowing up cities with the flick of a wrist.

*Ahem*

sleepygamer wrote:
Sarr wrote:
sleepygamer wrote:Soul Caliber II + MMORPGs.

My god. I would play WoW if you could fight using a decent combat system. I have grown to LOATHE traditional MMORPG combat systems.

http://darkfallonline.com/

According to Wikipedia, it is in closed beta ATM and expected to be released later in the year. Hellz Yes.

EDIT - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkfall

Wait... you... you might I won't have to just click an enemy once and sit back for the battle? I'll be... be able to actively BASH HIS FUCKING FACE in?!

I need to sit down... this is all happening so fast...

Not exactly my thoughts, but close enough.

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:39 am UTC
by JayDee
Okay, this one is fairly boring, but it's what I want.

Zelda: Phantom Hourglass + The Legend of Zelda (the original NES one)

Take Phantom Hourglass and make a 2nd quest (Master Quest, whatever) that does nothing more than ramp up the difficulty to a crazy level. Even if I had to buy the new quest on a QBA cart or something, that'd be fine.

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:01 am UTC
by pyroman
Starcraft + Starwars X-wing + (fps inserted here) = awesome. Imagine. the global control of starcraft with the option to be able to bring micromanagement to the extreme. imagine commanding your forces to attack an enemy base and then jumping into a ship and fighting along side them in the first person Potentially this could make that one unit more powerful in the way that excellent microing can change the outcome of a battle.. Of course the extra control you get over a particular unit would come at a price. While in this mode you would be unable to make higher level command decisions and would have limited intel (say limited to what the particular unit you control could see for its self) this makes staying in first person mode for too long dangerous as you will be unaware of whats going on else where. I'd imagine it to be a lot like the command school "game" from Ender's Game and i think it would bring a whole new level of strategy to the gaming world.

what do you guys think?

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:31 am UTC
by aion7
JayDee wrote:Okay, this one is fairly boring, but it's what I want.

Zelda: Phantom Hourglass + The Legend of Zelda (the original NES one)

Take Phantom Hourglass and make a 2nd quest (Master Quest, whatever) that does nothing more than ramp up the difficulty to a crazy level. Even if I had to buy the new quest on a QBA cart or something, that'd be fine.
I would buy that. Hell, I would buy the collectors edition.

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:44 pm UTC
by SecondTalon
pyroman wrote:Starcraft + Starwars X-wing + (fps inserted here) = awesome. Imagine. the global control of starcraft with the option to be able to bring micromanagement to the extreme. imagine commanding your forces to attack an enemy base and then jumping into a ship and fighting along side them in the first person Potentially this could make that one unit more powerful in the way that excellent microing can change the outcome of a battle.. Of course the extra control you get over a particular unit would come at a price. While in this mode you would be unable to make higher level command decisions and would have limited intel (say limited to what the particular unit you control could see for its self) this makes staying in first person mode for too long dangerous as you will be unaware of whats going on else where. I'd imagine it to be a lot like the command school "game" from Ender's Game and i think it would bring a whole new level of strategy to the gaming world.

what do you guys think?


No one played it when it was called Savage.

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:46 pm UTC
by CogDissident
However, everyone played it when it was called Natural Selection. Which is specifically Starcraft/aliens as a setting, played as a FPS (with one player being able to drop structures/ammo/health for teammates, and the teammates actually doing the fighting/building).

So, yes, it is exactly what you're looking for. Go play it. Go!

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:41 am UTC
by Ati
Second Life + Gmod


I have this image in my head of a space ship made out of explosive barrels and pieces of the citadel being taken down by a giant walking penis mech.

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:02 am UTC
by TheStranger
How about X-Com 1&2 combined with CoD4 (first person alien shooty with resource and team building tacked on top).

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:28 pm UTC
by CogDissident
TheStranger wrote:How about X-Com 1&2 combined with CoD4 (first person alien shooty with resource and team building tacked on top).

Stranger, see my above post on Natural Selection.

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:49 pm UTC
by Manial
LoZ: Majora's Mask + Cursor*10

Actually, this is what I thought Majora's Mask would be when it was first described to me, and I was kinda disappointed when I played it. But imagine how complicated the puzzles could be!

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:03 pm UTC
by Amnesiasoft
Manial wrote:LoZ: Majora's Mask + Cursor*10

Blinx? Kinda sorta. I don't know, never actually played it. And I guess it'd be more like Cursor*2 than Cursor*10 :P