Zero Punctuation - (Yahtzee)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Jorpho

Re: Zero Punctuation - (Yahtzee)

Postby Jorpho » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:32 pm UTC

Blast! All this time I had completely forgotten the ol' copy-the-fully-downloaded-flv-out-of-the-cache trick. How clumsy of me!

On the bright side, at least I didn't spend hours trying to figure out how to execute Perl scripts.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:50 am UTC

nsmjohn wrote:"Yeah, it's pretty good."

What an awesome review :)
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Irrefutable

Postby Irrefutable » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:10 pm UTC

I wish he had left it at 'Yeah, its pretty good'

Even though i loved the rest of the review that first line was genius :)
One day something wity and original will appear here

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:47 pm UTC

I love how's he started playing with the format now.

I also think he nailed it, both in that first line and the rest of the real review.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:48 pm UTC

Remind me again who the guy is that did the voice of your dad in Fallout 3, and what else was he in?

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:58 pm UTC

Liam Neeson. Recently he voiced Aslan, was in Batman Begins, and Kinsey. Among other things, but those are the ones I've seen.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:05 pm UTC

And a certain Jedi master
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:10 pm UTC

That would explain my inherited force powers: force pull (z key) and jedi mind trick (Speech).

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:13 pm UTC

What was weird, for me, was watching Kinsey a week or two before Batman Begins. I kept expecting him to ask Bruce when he started masturbating, or some such, so I kept having an urge to giggle when he was on screen.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:04 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:Liam Neeson. Recently he voiced Aslan, was in Batman Begins, and Kinsey. Among other things, but those are the ones I've seen.

Not to mention Oskar Schindler.
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

rustedneurons

Postby rustedneurons » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:37 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:And a certain Jedi master

Qui-Jon is Aslan?! My world view is shattered.

The bit after the Witcher review is genius - "Are you satisfied with my little dance, you buerecratic shit?"

EDIT: spelling and something on-topic

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:21 pm UTC

31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

GCM

Postby GCM » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:24 am UTC

That.
Is.
WIIIIIN!!

So, who's shooting he'll review Left 4 Dead next week? (Or not, just to spark some erks)

Irrefutable wrote:I wish he had left it at 'Yeah, its pretty good'

Even though i loved the rest of the review that first line was genius :)

That would gather quite a few accusations, no?
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:14 pm UTC

The part after the GHWT review was awesome and 100% true.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:53 am UTC

I like the end. "Get either rockband or GHWT, because they're the same".
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:29 am UTC

I got GHWT a couple of days ago, and it's good to know the cymbals sucking wasn't just me... seriously, I can hit those things hard enough that it feels like I'm going to knock the whole drumkit over, and it'd still miss notes regularly...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

GCM

Postby GCM » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:48 am UTC

We maaade a sequel that no oooone liked cos we dumbed it down too muuuuch, cos we're thicccckk.....
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:33 pm UTC

Haha maybe he should take up the singing part in Guitar Hero!

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:23 am UTC

Will I sound stupid if I say I have trouble telling how sarcastic/ironic he is being? He definitely does not think Hitler was right, but he actually does seem to like the Kinks, so I'm not sure how to feel about the "no girls in our rock bands" type comments...

I miss the song clips at the intro and ending instead of the... reminds me of movies I watched at school assemblies noise and ads.

I'm a pretty casual gamer (although not someone's girlfriend who secretly wants to fuck him), so I mostly watch for the entertainment value, and it's pretty funny. Self centered, but on purpose, and it's not just whining about every little thing he didn't like the way a lot of online "reveiws" are. The one thing I don't quite get is his opinion of fighting games, I'm not really impressed with what little of Brawl I've played, but what's not to like about a game that allows you to simulate hurting your friends?

rustedneurons

Postby rustedneurons » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:30 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:I miss the song clips at the intro and ending instead of the... reminds me of movies I watched at school assemblies noise and ads.

A little less conversation, a little more action...

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:02 pm UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:so I'm not sure how to feel about the "no girls in our rock bands" type comments...
If this helps you feel better about him: He probably said that simply to set up making fun of the male performers, who look like girls.

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:32 pm UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:I miss the song clips at the intro and ending instead of the... reminds me of movies I watched at school assemblies noise and ads.

This was one of my favourite intro songs. Yes: far too obvious!

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:15 am UTC

Yea, his music choices were very clever and often added TO the review. Some of them gave little hints and summaries of the game. I hate how they replaced it with a generic.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:56 am UTC

Jebobek wrote:If this helps you feel better about him: He probably said that simply to set up making fun of the male performers, who look like girls.
I kind of figure that's usually the case, and I don't want to get all up in arms or anything. It's just kind of hard to tell what he actually thinks.

Oh, and I also like the little quips at the end, like how he likes to name Link "I Say" so the NPC's all sound like Foghorn Leghorn.

dlavizt

Postby dlavizt » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:11 am UTC

He's not a reviewer, he's a critic. Actually he makes a mention of it in one of his post(i think the one about Prince of Persia). That's why he doesn't give out ratings, and mostly says bad things. But all that aside, he is one of the best game critics out there. It might be due to the fact that no game corp. has bought his vote that makes him so good at his..job? Anyways yeah, I always check out his work. If not as a reference then for sheer amusement.

Zuffox

Postby Zuffox » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:29 pm UTC

dlavizt wrote:He's not a reviewer, he's a critic. Actually he makes a mention of it in one of his post(i think the one about Prince of Persia). That's why he doesn't give out ratings, and mostly says bad things. But all that aside, he is one of the best game critics out there. It might be due to the fact that no game corp. has bought his vote that makes him so good at his..job? Anyways yeah, I always check out his work. If not as a reference then for sheer amusement.

Touting yourself as a critic seems a little high-fallutin' most of the time, lest you want to enter a deeper discussion about the definition of it. It's not a remark that will make you popular, and oftentimes, the only difference between a critic and a reviewer is construed as the lack of a grade. Or as a critic being a reviewer who isn't at work.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:19 am UTC

Or you could always use his definitions: A reviewer plays the games and recommends the ones he believes others will enjoy. A critic points out the flaws and laughs. In other words, he Criticizes
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:36 pm UTC

There's some backlash against being a critic, though, as a reviewer has to look at it from all angles and see how a person might enjoy it (the whole "I hate RTS games, but this one didn't make me want to puke on myself in the first five minutes, so I figure it's pretty good for an RTS game" thing) whereas a critic merely approaches it with a singular opinion and rips it to shreds.

However, a reviewer can say something is dogshit and be fine (as long as it's backed up with examples of why it's dogshit) and they can also say it's fantastic and be fine (as long as they're not clearly sucking off the developers/producers and use examples of why it's wonderful) and .. not lose any credibility.

The moment a critic starts to respond positively to something, they start to lose credibility as people think they've lost their edge. Yes, you can say something is good and still call yourself a critic, but a segment of your fanbase is going to think you've sold out. I mean, he's been doing it how long, and there's already people saying things like "He was better when he was just on Youtube...."
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Zuffox

Postby Zuffox » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:27 pm UTC

But in the case of Yahtzee, his shtick is two-fold: Being funny and being right/succinctly astute. I too am not as fond of him as I was initially with the first two or so videos, but that could also have to do with receding novelty or being less funny (the latter possibly being the result of the former), as I still think he's as astute as ever.

Incidently, some people have the weird notion that when something is funny, it's right (because it's funny?), rather than analyzing his points. No doubt that Yahtzee doesn't intend for all his remarks to be dead serious or paramount to some of his central points - some of them are just plain jokes, not points of critique per se.

Affableprechaun

Postby Affableprechaun » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:43 am UTC

I enjoy Yahtzee a great deal. Mostly because he just says what he feels, and he does so in a very fast and funny way. Wonderful. Also, he loved Portal. This is a definite point in his favor. Overall, even though he tends to rip games apart, he is able to do so while leaving me never doubting that he actually likes games. I always feel like he shreds them for the better, so to speak. I think this is important. I want a reviewers/critics to like games as much as I do, which it seems few do. And I want them to see a games or a concepts potential as much as I do, which very few do. But I want him to avoid looking at what the game or concept could be, and avoiding cut through the hype either building a game up or tearing it down before or after release and review what is there, which is very hard to do and therefore few do so. I feel he does, which is why I take the time to listen to Yahtzee. Plus he makes me laugh. ( :wink: )

Zuffox

Postby Zuffox » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:28 pm UTC

Left 4 Dead this week.

Aside from the ass joke I won't spoil, likely the least entertaining video by Yahtzee yet.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:46 pm UTC

Not entertaining the first time, but the 2nd time when I picked up the subtle jokes I thought it was just about on-par with others. I agree with the zombie spawn times; no big deal if you respawn fast as a normal zombie just to pass the time.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:32 pm UTC

I keep hoping for a prince of persia review from him. I hated the series but probably because the "good" one was already old by the time I got around to trying it (it didn't age well IMHO). I'm curious if he likes the new one, would maybe determine if I shell out $60 for it or not.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:28 pm UTC

What do you mean by "age well"? You mean, in regards to comparing it to current graphics?

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:53 pm UTC

gamedamage eh?

heh sonic.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:53 am UTC

Oh yes, that was splendid.

By the way, have any of you checked out the stuff in the Escapist Film Festival? I keep meaning to do that.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:25 am UTC

:( For some reason all my browsers stopped being able to download the videos a few weeks back. What The Hell!!

EDIT: Or I could be proactive and ask "Does anyone know the direct link I could use to get to them?"
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:56 pm UTC

mosc wrote:I keep hoping for a prince of persia review from him. I hated the series but probably because the "good" one was already old by the time I got around to trying it (it didn't age well IMHO). I'm curious if he likes the new one, would maybe determine if I shell out $60 for it or not.

I'm with him on the first PoP.

He probably won't be too happy with the new one.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:27 am UTC

Sonic: I'm glad he confirmed my fears. Maybe one day they'll make another good sonic game somehow. It just won't be in 3D. Ever. Even slightly. The Zero-G racers game [if anyone played it on wii] was probably easier to do better at if you went into a different room to wiggle the wiimote about, or stapled it to your dog.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:40 pm UTC

existential_elevator wrote:Sonic: I'm glad he confirmed my fears. Maybe one day they'll make another good sonic game somehow. It just won't be in 3D. Ever. Even slightly.
Sonic Rush Adventure?

Return to “Gaming”