Zero Punctuation - (Yahtzee)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Phen

Re: Zero Punctuation - (Yahtzee)

Postby Phen » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:34 pm UTC

Fallout 3 is awesome, in my oppinion. Played it waaay too much for the last few days. I'm tempted to try out Saints Row, because of his review, now. But not as long as I'm still enjoying my Fallout. Mh.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:25 pm UTC

GCM wrote:I'm just hoping that a new Ratchet and Clank title will hit stores sometime soon AFTER I buy that machine.

Resistance 2 comes out tomorrow (in the US). It is made by the same people who make Ratchet and Clank, and the first one, imho, was freaking awesome.
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:23 pm UTC

I've been finding the first Resistance awfully generic. Not bad, just generic. I really liked Ratchet Future though.

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:33 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:I've been finding the first Resistance awfully generic. Not bad, just generic. I really liked Ratchet Future though.

What do you mean by generic?

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:10 pm UTC

There's nothing new or original about it. It's a shooter, nothing more. A well-made one, no doubt, but still a shooter. It's like the devs said "Hey every other shooter has WWII or aliens. I know, let's have WWII AND aliens!"

GCM

Postby GCM » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:21 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:There's nothing new or original about it. It's a shooter, nothing more. A well-made one, no doubt, but still a shooter. It's like the devs said "Hey every other shooter has WWII or aliens. I know, let's have WWII AND aliens!"

It's about WWII and aliens?
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:54 pm UTC

Aliens for sure in the immediate post-WWII era, so close enough.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:01 am UTC

So, what do you guys think of his Dead Space review.

It was a bit repetitive. Repetitively so. It was repetitively repetitive. Don't you think it was a bit repetitive?

Alright, I admit I will never come close to being as funny as Mr. Croshaw. Also, I'm not British enough to be a Captain Sillybollocks. Curse my American residency and homeland!
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:40 am UTC

He seems to be not hating the games so much lately, or at least being less vitriolic about it. He hasn't jumped the shark just yet though.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:04 pm UTC

What bothers me is that he's now getting paid to do all of these, once a week. Which means he never really feels ripped off, but just happy to bash into a game. I still love watching his videos for the general hilarity.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:52 pm UTC

Joeldi wrote:He seems to be not hating the games so much lately, or at least being less vitriolic about it. He hasn't jumped the shark just yet though.
Nah, I hardly think he's out of vitrol. He was hardly kind to "Too Human". (And I think I do recall him making fun of the fact that he doesn't have to pay for awful games in one of his older reviews.)

GCM

Postby GCM » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:39 pm UTC

Call me Captain Sillybollocks, but it seems like the physics gun aspect is a rip-off the gravity gun, just with less functions and general usefulness. (On another note: In your face, aion7! A use of Captain Sillybollocks that isn't out of place and awkward!)

One thing I can guarantee is that he'll review Left 4 Dead. :shock:
~Sun Tzu

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:49 pm UTC

I'd say that the Rock-it launcher in Fallout 3 is 1/2 of a physics gun, where you don't bring anything towards you, but you shoot stuff out of it. Even though it might be considered a ripoff, the execution was well done (except that there's no spinning physics when the junk leaves the gun). Maybe I'm just saying that copying is not bad if you add your own flair and its somehow an improvement.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:29 am UTC

GCM wrote:(On another note: In your face, aion7! A use of Captain Sillybollocks that isn't out of place and awkward!)

One thing I can guarantee is that he'll review Left 4 Dead. :shock:
Ow! My face!

The question with L4D is how much he will like it. We know he will like it. It is Valve, after all. I have yet to meet an intelligent gamer who doesn't think Valve makes some of, if not the best FPS'.
Spoiler:

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:54 pm UTC

aion7 wrote:
GCM wrote:The question with L4D is how much he will like it. We know he will like it. It is Valve, after all. I have yet to meet an intelligent gamer who doesn't think Valve makes some of, if not the best FPS'.
If by 'intelligent gamer' you mean 'gamers who enjoy FPSes', perhaps. I'm a reasonably intelligent person and I consider myself a gamer, but I don't particularly enjoy FPS games.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:02 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:
aion7 wrote:
GCM wrote:The question with L4D is how much he will like it. We know he will like it. It is Valve, after all. I have yet to meet an intelligent gamer who doesn't think Valve makes some of, if not the best FPS'.
If by 'intelligent gamer' you mean 'gamers who enjoy FPSes', perhaps. I'm a reasonably intelligent person and I consider myself a gamer, but I don't particularly enjoy FPS games.

Not liking the genre doesn't stop its contents from being ranked.

GCM

Postby GCM » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:48 am UTC

The last few posts were kind of awkward....

I think it probably could have been worded better. Perhaps intelligent gamers who playe FPS's that can be single or multiplayer and features interesting weapons... also must have tried the games, otherwise how the hell can they know if it's good or not, right?
~Sun Tzu

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:21 am UTC

GCM wrote:I think it probably could have been worded better. Perhaps intelligent gamers who playe FPS's that can be single or multiplayer and features interesting weapons... also must have tried the games, otherwise how the hell can they know if it's good or not, right?

It's called the No True Scotsman fallacy.

"No gamer thinks Valve makes bad games."
"I don't enjoy their games. Also, I eat dirt."
"Alright, no Intelligent gamer thinks Valve makes bad games."
"I have an IQ of OVER 9000!!!! and I don't enjoy Valve's games."

I believe what aion7 should have said was "I've not met a gamer who's opinion I value that doesn't think that Valve makes some of, if not the best FPS."
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

aion7

Postby aion7 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:31 am UTC

Alright. I've been exposed. I don't spend hours, or even minutes debating with myself over what to post in an internet forum. I did however put in the wording I did because I am aware many gamers do not like FPS'. It's like what Yuri2356 said.

Also, I don't believe intelligence can be measures. What IQ tests are measuring mainly, is knowledge. It's "do you know this" and "do you know how to do this" questions which do not measure intelligence.
Spoiler:

internets++ for aion7.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:17 am UTC

*Shrug* When you say something to the effect of "No one with half a brain cell hates these games*, people with one or more braincell who don't care for them get... irritated, I believe would be the appropriate word.

It's the internet. It are am super cereal business.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:12 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
GCM wrote:I think it probably could have been worded better. Perhaps intelligent gamers who playe FPS's that can be single or multiplayer and features interesting weapons... also must have tried the games, otherwise how the hell can they know if it's good or not, right?

I believe what aion7 should have said was "I've not met a gamer who's opinion I value that doesn't think that Valve makes some of, if not the best FPS."

SecondTalon is right. No true Scotsman wouldn't play FPSs.
500%!

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:25 am UTC

Endless Mike wrote:There's nothing new or original about it. It's a shooter, nothing more. A well-made one, no doubt, but still a shooter. It's like the devs said "Hey every other shooter has WWII or aliens. I know, let's have WWII AND aliens!"

I won't harangue you for the storyline indescresion. Truthfully I thought you were talking about the mechanic's of the game not the story. So, yeah, I actually agree with you. In my opinion shooters are all more or less the same. The only real difference is the story and (with luck) the guns. I personally found the guns (and grenades) in the original Resistance to be excellent and several were unique to the genre. The story really is mediocre but the dialogue/voice acting I found to be much better than most other sci-fi schooters.

Resistance 2 I have been playing for about a week... and well "meh" pretty much covers it. A few new guns, some of them copy other games (the Marksman is just Halo's Battle Rifle with a cool secondary). What really pisses me off about it though, is it appears as if the developers saw the sales numbers for Halo and COD4 and thought to themselves "How can we rip this off". In the process they lost much of what I love about the original. In the orignal you could carry as many guns as you want; now you can only carry two. In mp you choose what gun you want going into a mp map as apposed to finding the spawned weapons. Also in mp the Chimera only look different from humans now; they function exactly the same. In the original humans got reactive radar (people running or shooting appear on it) and could pretty much run all they want. The Chimera had a limited overdrive feature that let them move really fast, see through walls and do more damage but it overheats and they appear on radar while using it.

On topic: "Oh wook it's a doggy, mash up his wittle face and call him Chips." I just about died trying to not laugh loud enough to disturb everyone around me.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:44 am UTC

nsmjohn wrote:On topic: "Oh wook it's a doggy, mash up his wittle face and call him Chips." I just about died trying to not laugh loud enough to disturb everyone around me.
That got me too.

The slight drop in pitch as he says chips made me giggle harder.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:55 am UTC

His idea of a sandbox crime game (I've started calling them "MBOW"s for mission-based open-world; every genre needs to be identified by initials!) where you play a supervillain is one of the best ideas I've ever heard. I hear he has an in with Valve; maybe they'll pick up on this for their next big title. Of course, the day one of his ideas is turned into an actual video game with a major following is the day he loses his credibility as a reviewer of other people's games.

...Oh wait.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

aion7

Postby aion7 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:11 am UTC

sleepygamer wrote:
nsmjohn wrote:On topic: "Oh wook it's a doggy, mash up his wittle face and call him Chips." I just about died trying to not laugh loud enough to disturb everyone around me.
That got me too.

Me three. I would so like to abuse an .mp3 or .wav of that.
Spoiler:

internets++ for aion7.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:50 am UTC

aion7 wrote:Me three. I would so like to abuse an .mp3 or .wav of that.

Booya.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:07 am UTC

Fingers crossed for Fallout 3 next week. I think he'll like the game (though I wouldn't be surprised if he despised it), but there's just so many little things to nitpick about that I'm sure he'll have lots to say.

aion7

Postby aion7 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:29 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

Booya.

Thankee mouch. I still laugh at that after nigh on ten times.
Spoiler:

internets++ for aion7.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:20 am UTC

phlip wrote:

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/perl
$page = `wget -O- http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation`;
while ($page =~ m{<a href='/videos/view/zero-punctuation/(\d+)-([^']+)'>}ig)
{
        next if ($1 == 84); # Is a repeat of 0003-Console-Rundown
        $url = "http://www.themis-group.com/global/castfire/flv/$1?version=ThemisMedia1\%2E0";
        $fn = sprintf '%04d-%s.flv', $1, $2;
        next if -f $fn;
        $page2 = `wget -O- "$url"`;
        last if $?;
        next unless $page2 =~ /url=([^&]+)/i;
        $url2 = $1;
        $url2 =~ s/%([0-9a-fA-F]{2})/chr hex $1/ge;
        system 'wget', '-c', '-O', $fn, $url2;
        last if $?;
}

I've written something like this for pretty much every webcomic and/or online video thing I watch regularly...

Yeah, I know `wget` is dodgy compared to something in Perl like LWP... I'm just lazy, and this is quicker to type.

Tip: the first time you run this, add "?page=2" to the url in the second line and run it again... then again, with "?page=3"... to get all the older videos.

On the offchance that anyone was actually using that, here's the fix for the new version of the Escapist's flash player:

#!/usr/bin/perl
use Digest::MD5 qw(md5_hex);
$page = `wget -O- http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation`;
while ($page =~ m{<a href='/videos/view/zero-punctuation/(\d+)-([^']+)'>}ig)
{
   next if ($1 == 84); # Is a repeat of 0003-Console-Rundown
   $url = "http://www.themis-group.com/global/castfire/flv/$1";
   $topsecret = md5_hex("Video $1 Hash");
   $fn = sprintf '%04d-%s.flv', $1, $2;
   next if -f $fn;
   $page2 = `wget -O- "$url" --post-data "format=$topsecret&version=ThemisMedia1\%2E1"`;
   last if $?;
   next unless $page2 =~ /url=([^&]+)/i;
   $url2 = $1;
   $url2 =~ s/%([0-9a-fA-F]{2})/chr hex $1/ge;
   system 'wget', '-c', '-O', $fn, $url2;
   last if $?;
}

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Kaneda

Postby Kaneda » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:20 am UTC

sleepygamer wrote:
That got me too.

Quoted for truth etc.

Anyway, I really want him to review Endwar, a voice activated RTS game... With the way he talks, it's gotta be good.

PS. Fallout 3 is so awesome that I think they put in the random crashing problem for fear that it would be considered proof that there is a god.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:00 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

Booya.

..yoink. Thanks!

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:01 pm UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:His idea of a sandbox crime game (I've started calling them "MBOW"s for mission-based open-world; every genre needs to be identified by initials!) where you play a supervillain is one of the best ideas I've ever heard. I hear he has an in with Valve; maybe they'll pick up on this for their next big title. Of course, the day one of his ideas is turned into an actual video game with a major following is the day he loses his credibility as a reviewer of other people's games.

...Oh wait.
GAWD.

Evil Genius is not a sandbox crime game!

HE MENTIONS THIS.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:28 pm UTC

Er, I'd think having made games makes his opinions MORE credible than an average reviewer.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:30 pm UTC

Especially for his ability to see his own mistakes.

For a while there, he had a column in PC Gamer. One of the things he wrote about was the Adventure Game, and whether or not any of them were any good. His basic idea is that none of them, including the ones he made, were any good. His reasoning was the only thing people remember about the games are the stories they told. Not the gameplay. The gameplay often got in the way of the story. Hence, everyone would have been better off just reading a book.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:02 pm UTC

Looking back, my favorite adventure game would be Quest for Glory. (all I played was "So you want to be a hero," I hear "Trial by Fire" was better.) Not because of the story, but because they actually injected bits of action, stats, and fighting into it. I don't think I would have attempted to play the game again if it was not for what they added. I guess you wouldn't call it a pure old-fashioned adventure game.

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:25 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

Booya.

I love you ST.

Blatm

Postby Blatm » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:50 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

Booya.

lessthanthree

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:49 pm UTC

"Yeah, it's pretty good."

Phen

Postby Phen » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:00 pm UTC

nsmjohn wrote:"Yeah, it's pretty good."

:D And it IS! I agree with his review. I didn't swim in money until much later, though.
Last edited by Phen on Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

GCM

Postby GCM » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:03 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

I are detest your logic!
I don't consider myself a dumkopf, and here, I've never touched a mumorpuger. Just to add a little to the mix.

And don't worry; I'll make sure he doesn't review Left 4 Dead by emailing and asking him to review it. :shock:
~Sun Tzu

Return to “Gaming”